Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: A.W.O.L.

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Diggle must learn to trust his brother Andy when an enemy of their wartime past, an agent of the criminal organization Shadowspire, visits Star City. However, Diggle learns more than he bargained for about their shared time at war. Meanwhile, Oliver struggles to learn a whole new way of life.

I may be alone but I thought that was a very interesting episode.   It was good to see a little more time devoted to Diggle and Andy.   Maybe I missed an episode because prior to the flashback I never got the impression that there was any distrust between them, so this ep was an eye opener in that regard.  And It's always good to see Lyla, she and Diggle are the Mr. and Mrs. Smith of the heroism world.

And I've actually grown oddly fond of Amanda Waller.   The actress has a steeliness that's really come across to me in her last few appearances.   So I'm not thrilled about what happened to her.

Felicity's convo with herself was interesting to me because it told me a lot about how Felicity see's herself or SAW herself way back when.   I feel like I got more on the sort of person she was then I did in her big flashback episode last season.   And it makes me wonder if a part of her was always sneeringly cynical even during Season's 1 and 2.  It's hard to picture Felicity as a "her against the world" type of person, but I believed it during her hallucination scenes.   And even Felicity's subconscious can be especially cruel on a verbal level.  "Congrats, you now have a front row seat to the rest of your life."  Ouch.   I got the impression Felicity wanted to leave her past behind (with the whole Cooper mess) but this was the first time I ever realized she disliked who she was as a person.   That's something that's usually reserved for Oliver, so that was an interesting character beat.

• Love 12

I love that they gave Felicity the correct kind of wheel chair. So many shows don't do that and choose to do the "Oh no they are PARALYZED!" option instead.

Equally do I love that Felicity gets to have this whole Oracle-ish self doubt journey into who she is. It's been years coming.

I enjoyed Laurel. There I said it.

I enjoyed Argus. I saw it coming but I enjoyed it. I still don't like Andy. I blame Bones for that though. But I loved everything Diggle had to go through that was amazing.

I know a lot of people have a problem with Amanda and the actress playing her but I've never minded her and I enjoyed her here. But of course DC made them kill her and now I'm more annoyed at the upcoming DC Movie Universe. Like, just fail already. TV is doing such better work than you from plot to casting. Go away.

Ugh Overwatch, that is fucking stupid but lol at Oliver mentioning that they can't use Oracle. That slays me. But still they could have used ANY other fucking codename. Hell, steal mine, take Delphi, but Overwatch....ugh. Go sell your shit somewhere else Marc.

• Love 14

I missed it--what code name did Oliver give Felicity?

Was i the only one who first saw Felicity 1.0 and immediately thought, "Death?" ?

ETA never mind, the joys of simultaneous posting. . :-)

Edited by janeta
  • Love 1

I missed the first 20 or so minutes and will have to catch that in a bit, but I liked what I saw. I need a thousand and one more scenes between Felicity and Diggle like the way too brief one we had at the end.

Why is my OTP so adorable??! Ahhh, I can't stand them. And by that, I mean all Olicity all the time.

I'm a bit pissed that DC is so shortsighted in their usage of characters. What a waste of Amanda Waller. Audiences are not idiots, DC. We can understand that the movies have one Amanda Waller and TV has another! I'll take a bit of comfort in Lyla being ARGUS' badass new leader.

I knew that narcissistic hack couldn't resist naming Felicity after his book. I'm glad she's got a codename, but I'm going to have to head canon something else just because he irritates me so much. I even resisted giving her a name in one of my fics because I wasn't sure I could do Felicity justice and was curious what the show would do - boy howdy, was that giving TIIC too much credit.

Baby Sara is adorbs. The end.

• Love 16

SO I have a confession to make that will probably make you guys hate me...

So a while ago (around episode 2ish?), I tweeted MG and tagged him about how if Felicity were to have a codename it would be Overwatch as a joke not thinking he'd see it and he responded with "That would be so cool".......... I think this whole codename thing is my fault and I regret it every single day and will forever regret it. T_T

FORGIVE ME. 

you're kidding right?

As for the Episode:

Didn't see Waller being killed, I mean I thought it may happen because of the movie but.. I liked the actress I thought she did a good start.

regarding the codename that shell not be spoken: No, No, NOOO!!!!!

and I thought my cake was the lowest blow of the week.. nope, this is officially the shitiest thing to happen all week.

Ummm...  I actually liked the Oliver and Laurel scene - I swear there is not an ounce of alcohol in me!

Also, Oh my god Dr. DAVE!!! time has not been kind to you man.

Next week looks interesting.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

So a while ago (around episode 2ish?), I tweeted MG and tagged him about how if Felicity were to have a codename it would be Overwatch as a joke not thinking he'd see it and he responded with "That would be so cool".......... I think this whole codename thing is my fault and I regret it every single day and will forever regret it. T_T

FORGIVE ME.

You are dead to me. I'm voting you off the island! LOL
  • Love 13

EBR KILLED this episode. She was probably the best she's ever been. I loved how they used the hallucinations to get to her fears and insecurities. They actually made it kind of fun which I never expected with such a difficult subject matter.

Olicity scenes were some of the best of the season. I loved all of them.

DELICITY scene! Short but sweet. You could really see how much they care about each other.

• Love 23

FORGIVE ME. 

How dare you! Go watch S1 Laurel and Oliver scenes (or any Laurel and Oliver scenes) as penance.

• Love 14

Just when I think I'm getting out, Arrow swerves and gives me the episode I deserve. Fuck, that was fun.

FORGIVE ME. 

YOU ARE FIRED.

• Love 20

Damn you, Suicide Squad Movie!! I didn't even like Waller but that was bullshit. I really liked this episode. I hate Goth!Felicity. She was annoying and wrong. Uh, did she forget that she got caught by the FBI?? Really distinct from regular Felicity. Kudos to EBR I still don't trust Andy but he was awesome. 

But the most important thing: I FINALLY GOT A GOOD ENSEMBLE FIGHT SCENE!!!! IT'S 84 YEARS!!

• Love 8

That Laurel/Oliver sparring scene?  Hot damn.  The feels.  I see the light now.  Those two are definitely finding their way back to each other (LOLOLOL).

They brought Waller back just to kill her?  Eh.  Oh well.

I loved the acting of the guy who Diggle put in a choke hold.  The guy dropped his arms (as if unconscious), stood there for a couple of seconds, and then fell to the ground.  Hilarious.

I was convinced that Felicity's codename was going to be Firewall.  I didn't think that MG was that big of a doucheface that he'd just poach his own book name.  WRONG!

• Love 4

Much better! Just focus on Felicity and Dig, and episodes shall improve!

Dear God! The flashbacks are mushing together! They're joining forces, they're gaining sentience, everybody run!

Overwatch huh? Awkward to say, but at least Felicity has a codename now. And Oracle is taken? Does this mean Batman? 

I know a lot of people weren't very into the shows Amanda Waller, but I liked her, and thought she had a real toughness. Sucks they had to kill her all for that DC movies. Dang, at least Marvel has its TV and its movies working together, not in opposition. 

• Love 2

I liked it a lot.  And didn't walk out of the room or check my email during flashbacks.

I was actually surprised when they killed Waller.  That actually makes me kind of sad because I enjoy it every time she's in an episode.  Guess we were wrong about it being only Will Smith that made them loss the rights to a Suicide Squad character.

However, I DO wonder if Lyla is going to get a job offer now.  I might really enjoy a Lyla led ARGUS.

I actually liked Laurel's little pep talk for Oliver.  I enjoyed Felicity conversation with her past self.  And I was semi-hopeful that Oliver was going to tell her about what happened a month ago when Barry changed the past, but oh well.

• Love 1

"Overwatch"?? Was "Oracle" not on the table? At least have Felicity go WTF for a spilt-second.

RIP The Wall. I kinda saw it coming, what with Suicide Squad coming out in August and the need to not have two Amanda Wallers. Actually, there would be three, but Green Lantern never happened. Ever.

I thought the episode was good. Sure, Gothlicity was fanservice, but it's nice to see Felicity get back on the horse. Also, Diggle got to connect with his brother, and Andy got to meet his niece. Oh, and the Diggle Bros backstory tied in with the ongoing flashback subplot, which I thought was a nice touch.

• Love 2

Also, I knew they were gonna link the flashbacks to Andy somehow but I never expected him to actually know and have met Reiter. Nice! Why does Oliver not know/remember the name of the organization he infiltrated years ago though? He's such a dummy.

The codename is Overwatch? Seriously? F-you, Guggenheim! Ugh. He really loves himself. Hmph. I'm going to have to do my best and get used to that, I suppose. Ugh. Thanks a lot, wonderwall!

Also, excuse you, Oliver and Felicity. Goth!Felicity was a hottie! The hallucination scenes were done so freaking well, though. Like, kudos to all involved--actors, the SFX people, the director, everyone. So fantastic! And aww at that end scene with Oliver and Felicity (and the Diggles). So good. Such a tense and very engaging episode. So much awesome happened that I can't wait to go rewatch it later. That rewatchability factor--it's how I can tell when the episode is really good.

• Love 13

It was a good episode. Not my favorite of the season but it was a very strong character episode for Diggle and Felicity. It was nice to see Goth Felicity back, I like her and I still find it weird how Felicity basically rebooted herself.

Loved the Laurel/Oliver scene, it was a nice double whammy of Laurel training (Katie looked and was badass in it) and the two characters having a good moment together. This is what Laurel should be able to do for Oliver even if they aren't together, reassure him about things and help him through these emotional times when he doubts himself. For all the drama with the promotional pictures and it amounted to like 6 minutes of screen time for Laurel lol.

We had rumors at the beginning of the season that they were going to kill off Waller and now it finally happened. Of course in the end it was a waste of a death because they never actually utilized the character.

Overwatch is an ok name for Felicity. Really reminds me of an alternate Watchtower that Chloe got in Smallville but there are only so many names. The joke about Oracle being taken was funny.

Barbara Gordon is confirmed as existing in this universe.  Now just confirm Dick, Tim, and Batman.

Good episode, can't help but think that this is some long con by Andy and HIVE.

In an LOT commercial there is a voice-over of Rip saying "I've seen Dark Knights fall and Men of Steel die" or something to that affect.  Between that and the Wayne Enterprises / Queen Consolidated merger in that season one Flash newspaper - I'm considering Bruce/Batman confirmed. :)

• Love 5

Laurels reaction to finding out about timetravel was cute and funny. Now that she is in on that tiny piece of information, I do wonder if it leads to Oliver telling her about his baby momma.

I like that they have FINALLY got used to not saying real names while out in the field. They have code names for a reason so it is nice to see them used.

• Love 4

This show is so frustrating. It has really excelled this season when it focuses on the character stuff like it did tonight, but I know that soon Plot will arrive and most likely bulldoze it's way over everyone and all that growth and development will vanish.

I'll never get how the Oliver we saw tonight is the same one that ditched Felicity last week and lied to her about BM. It's like character whiplash.

I enjoyed the Andy/John stuff way more tonight than I have in previous episodes although I don't really get why he's being so helpful all of a sudden.

RIP Amanda Waller . . . Or maybe not. She was pretty terrible.

Edited by GirlvsTV
  • Love 16

Well, no surprise that an episode about Felicity and Diggle is one of the best of the season. I loved getting to watch DR and EBR shine.

A gigantic boo to Felicity's codename being Overwatch. (I don't blame you though, wonderwall, I blame MG's ego). That was petty much the only misstep for me. Like, I didn't even mind Laurel this week.

The Felicity stuff was great. Her goth self was clearly a manifestation of all of her doubts and insecurities and I'm glad she was smart and strong enough to overcome them. I do hope that we see Felicity struggling again, if only a little. Being paralyzed is not something one should be able to get over in the matter of an evening.  EBR was so great in this though. I bow down. 

Oliver was great in his support of her, and I loved their scene with Felicity's speeches. SA brought tears to my eyes when he got tears in his. I'm such a sucker for these two.

I guess I should have seen Waller's death coming with the upcoming Suicide Squad movie, but I did not and it truly surprised me. I imagine Lyla will be given the reins to ARGUS. If they ever consider doing another spin-off, it should be about Lyla. I would watch the shit out of that.

• Love 15

I'm actually not that bothered about Felicity's codename. It's fine. I think maybe something snappier would have been better but she's got one now, it's hers. It's done. MG's ego knows no bounds though. 

I liked the joke/shade about Oracle being taken. LOL.

• Love 4

On the bright side: 

Overwatch, Green Arrow, Spartan, the first letter of each word spells out OGs???? Ummm. 

Also, I mean... You have to admit, Guggenheim must really love Felicity if he wanted to name her after a book he probably slaved over (on top of everything else he has to do)...????

Ugh. I'll let myself out.

• Love 14

I feel like we'll be needing "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal" gifs for Andy in a couple of episodes. The scene with Lyla and Sara was great but I'm not falling for it just yet. He's a really good liar. I don't trust him. 

We got interesting flashbacks and a good ensemble fight scene. I love this episode. 

• Love 7

This episode proves 4 major truths:

1. Guggenheim truly does have his head up his own ass. Overwatch? Really?

2. This show always works the best when Oliver, Digg, & Felicity together are the focus.

3. Even despite the contrived suckage that the writers try to throw at O/F, you can't ignore how well SA and EBR click in their scenes.

4. Fight scenes can be great when you don't shove 100 characters into them.

Really...this episode was pretty darn brilliant. I was watching the Twitter feed reaction and was shocked at how little negativity/complaining I saw there. Well done, Arrow peeps.

• Love 20

SA and KC need to try to make more eye contact in their scenes.  It's so bizarre...they spend a lot of time NOT looking at each other.  I'll just blame their weird anti-chemistry.

I'm pretty sure this was the first time in the entire run of the series that Laurel gave Oliver some sound advice, so I was charmed by the scene.

KC's Involuntary NOTP Face only flared up in the very last line, even.

• Love 2

SA and KC need to try to make more eye contact in their scenes.  It's so bizarre...they spend a lot of time NOT looking at each other.  I'll just blame their weird anti-chemistry.

If I were him, I'd have a hard time making eye contact with the woman I knew was getting shit-canned, too. Especially since her anti-chem with me would be a big part of the reason she's being shit-canned.

I mean, if I were him.

• Love 4

FORGIVE ME. 

Let's be honest, I think most of us knew deep down inside that Guggenheim would not be able to resist using Overwatch for her code name.  I hoped against it and everyone made lots of great alternatives, but the second someone suggested it as a possibility, I was pretty much resigned to it happening.  I don't believe for a second that the thought wouldn't have crossed MG's mind eventually.  Someone was bound to pitch the idea once they started seriously suggesting codenames.  That first someone just happened to be you.  You are forgiven. 

But yeah, back off the Loliver fan fic for a while.  ;)  There's only so much forgiveness to go around. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 9

So much of this episode was great, but my favorite part was probably Diggle and Felicity TALKING TO EACH OTHER. She helped him even when she wasn't there! 

Least fav part? The killing of another character of color on this show, just when I was thinking "How great to have both Diggles and Waller in one room!" Sigh. Waller was not my fav, but if there can be two Flashes in the DC tv and movie-verses, can there not be two Wallers? 

• Love 7