Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Insomnia

Big shock -- Rachel is pregnant.  Could see that coming from way down the highway.  Was being pregnant one of the reasons Rachel killed herself ? Is Pastor Tom the baby's father ?  

First a surprise pregnancy, now all we need now is a crazy wedding.  We already had the random treasure hunt this episode.

Caleb disappears from his jail cell -- we see it happen through the water dispenser jug. Another connection between water and the returned ?

Turns out Bellamy is distraught because a child he convinced to testify against some bad guys was killed -- I thought they were going to pull an Al Powell, and say he shot a kid and he's been on desk duty ever since ('Diehard').

When I saw those fireflies in the backyard, I thought oh crap, the nano have jumped shows and infected Resurrection.

Me too. Perhaps they should get it over with and just combine Under the Dome, Revolution and Resurrection.

This show is sucking now. Blend of a hallmark and procedural is a bad one.

And the baby book, perfectly kept for eit years, was by far e most surreal thing in it. Every single mother I've ever known stops keeping that thing a few months in. Too busy! I would be a family scrapbook at best, and usually drawings and essays are kept separately. It just seemed to be there so daddy could cry over it, the same way stalker shrines exist on procedural s so that detectives can find them.

I do NOT understand the whole "oh no! The FBI!" Reaction. They have this huge mystery they can't solve, so why not ring in the FBI? Doesn't Bellamy himself work for the Federal government?

Even scifi has to have internal logic and some resemblance to the world.

Big shock -- Rachel is pregnant.  Could see that coming from way down the highway.  Was being pregnant one of the reasons Rachel killed herself ? Is Pastor Tom the baby's father ?
 I was wondering this too.  Is the baby Tom's?  My initial reaction was it was not, and that's why she killed herself.  She didn't feel she was good enough for him.  

As for Caleb disappearing.  I wonder if the returned are actually there to give the living some kind of closure?  So since Elizabeth had her epiphany or because she told her dad exactly how she felt, or something, he was free to go.  Which made me worry for Jacob - if his dad can get some level of acceptance or closure will Jacob disappear again too?  Of course, if Caleb returns again all bets are off.  But he wasn't looking to good, like maybe he was reliving the heart attack or something.

Big shock -- Rachel is pregnant.  Could see that coming from way down the highway.  Was being pregnant one of the reasons Rachel killed herself ? Is Pastor Tom the baby's father ?

I thought that Rachel seemed surprised to find out that she was pregnant, but maybe she was just surprised to find out she was still pregnant after coming back from the dead?  See, I was thinking that finding out you were pregnant would actually be a reason to not kill yourself, but maybe the baby isn't Tom's and that is why she did kill herself.  Hmmmm.

Caleb's storyline was by far my least favorite, so I'm happy that the show has a way of dealing with people that don't work out...they just disappear.  This is a fantastic development.

• Love 1
(edited)

People are back from the dead! How is it possible this show is so bland?

MTE. There's a lot of amazing stuff happening in their lives but they don't seem to  care. I can't relate to them. I had the same problem with The Returned, but in the French show, the creepy atmosphere, the music, the great acting...  made up for the lack of curiosity about ex dead people. 

I'd be interested in Caleb's disappareance if I thought the characters are going to be interested too.  Is he gone for real? Is he going to appear somewhere else?  It'd be great if the reason the returned are coming back to life were to to give their loved ones the chance to see that they're actually better without them. 

Edited by Helena Dax

"In the Flesh," a brief British mini-series, handled this so muc better. Zombies get returned to their family; they have "partially deceased syndrome." It sounds like a joke, and some of it is funny, but really it's this meditation on fitting in, on returning from trauma, and most poignantly, on how suicide destroys a family. The final episode (SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT)

in which the zombie son runs off to the cave where he killed himself and the mother finds him, because the father "can't go there," and when the son comes home he forces the congenial dad to get mad at him for what he did and the dad describes first seeing him in the cave and thinking, oh, he's all right, and then seeing the blood... and then he cries...

and the son cries...

and goddamn if anybody who ever watched it anywhere doesn't cry.

But... that show wasn't about the Big Mystery. It was a given that this had happened.

I think this show wants it both ways, both to establish a mystery and to just dwell in emotions, and it's doing both badly.

The show is just so slow and boring and the melodramatic parts are written badly, so right now I'm only watching for the hot pastor. If "more are coming", they better come soon to what looks like the blandest town in America.

I don't understand what the hell is Bellamy even doing there. He's not even FBI, he's an immigration officer, no?  His job ended when he returned the boy to his parents.  So basically he's around exhuming bodies when it's not even part of his job description, and he's kind of rogue?  And where did his lady boss disappear to?  Doesn't anyone miss him in some airport? 

• Love 1

This show definitely has a date with the ax. As I noted before this was done with The 4400, only it was much better than this. Too bad because Omar Epps, Kurtwood Smith, and Frances Fisher continue to do well, it's everything else about this show that sucks.

Good to see how quick the good pastor became a liar, who looked oh so willing to cheat. I suspect he is not the father of Rachel's baby, that's why she felt so unworthy, she was cheating on him

Elaine,stop blaming everyone else for your being fired.  You left your computer on and left -- that makes you responsible for anything that happened.  

Caleb, if you really wanted to make Elaine strong in spite of neglect, you should have named her "John".  People become tough in spite of abuse, not because of it.

Can we get a show where Kurtwood Smith and Frances Fisher sit around and be awesome?  That show would be better than this.

My favorite part was how the previews showed the big bad feds coming into town and taking Jacob away just to have it be a stupid dream.  Second favorite part was Omar Epps reveal of his deepest, darkest secret was so damn horrible he's still having lame ass dreams about big, bad feds doing their damn jobs.

I think Tom is not the father just by the way Rachel begged the doc not to tell Tom.  If he were the father she'd want him to know since she's so bummed about him moving on and marrying some woman who didn't commit suicide.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy to think the good reverend saved himself for holy matrimony.

My least favorite part was I totally wasted a wish on this show.  I was staring at my TV and I said, "I wish Caleb would disappear off my screen."  Poof!  It came true, should of wished for world peace or something.

• Love 4

I think Tom is not the father just by the way Rachel begged the doc not to tell Tom.  If he were the father she'd want him to know since she's so bummed about him moving on and marrying some woman who didn't commit suicide.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy to think the good reverend saved himself for holy matrimony.

I don't know.  An argument could be made that Rachel doesn't want Tom to know she's pregnant because she's worried how he'll react when he finds out that she killed their baby as well as herself.  I couldn't tell by her reaction whether she knew she was pregnant when she killed herself, though.

I don't dislike this show as much as the rest of you seem to but I agree, it's glacial pace is not helping matters.  And I'm still waiting for the reveal that the cheating wife is also back.  We got a hint of it when the Sheriff went to visit the friend who cuckolded him but ever since then, nothing.

Don't know where Jacob has gone.  I just want him to stay there.  And I agree.  Elaine is an idiot.  Getting mad because her friend didn't tell her they were investigating her dad.  Her dad, who not only robbed a bank but killed a guy.  I just wish Jacob had taken Elaine with him when he left.

• Love 1

I normally don't like slow paced stuff, to the point that the shows I like the most many people complain about moving to fast and not seeing more fall-out.  But this one I like for some reason.  The slowness doesn't bother me.

• Love 2

"See, if we get the money, and ... I dunno... do nothing with it, the bank robbery will magically disappear and the Eeeeeeeeevil FBI guys will just say "Screw it -- let's have a beer and watch Without a Trace reruns!"

Somehow FBI --> Secret Gubment Lab.  I just don't know.

• Love 1

I don't know.  An argument could be made that Rachel doesn't want Tom to know she's pregnant because she's worried how he'll react when he finds out that she killed their baby as well as herself.  I couldn't tell by her reaction whether she knew she was pregnant when she killed herself, though.

I don't dislike this show as much as the rest of you seem to but I agree, it's glacial pace is not helping matters.  And I'm still waiting for the reveal that the cheating wife is also back.  We got a hint of it when the Sheriff went to visit the friend who cuckolded him but ever since then, nothing.

All of this.

Also, is it possible she killed herself because Tom would never get a pastorate in their small hick town if he had a pregnant girlfriend? The timing seems about right for him to have been planning his life's work/calling.

I'm guessing that since Elaine gave up the money and said she doesn't want it, Caleb will be a serial returner and bank robber. The second chance does not seem to come with free will.

I don't know what's missing from this show (besides a better time slot) but it's too bad, because they do seem to have the germ of an original and intriguing premise.

I have heard that The Returned (the French show) is really good. Resurrection isn't officially based on it; it's based on an unrelated book that's also called The Returned and has exactly the same premise.

Guess I'm alone in the pregnancy being a surprise. Poor Tom, this is some bizarre stuff to deal with without a baby.

When I saw Maggie look puzzled at the test results I guessed the pregnancy, but before that a pregnancy didn't even cross my radar.