Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Tone Death

WendyCR72

Another sad thing abt this season? I don't buy into Beckett and Castle's romance/relationship anymore. Stana, in recent seasons, has been far better selling it than Nathan but this season they both seem to be phoning it in. 

• Love 3

Yep, they're minimizing the relationship and maximizing other aspects of the story.  I'm fine with that.  I liked the episode, one of the more interesting ones I've seen lately.  All I have to do to let myself sit back and enjoy, is think, "ok, Castle has been cancelled.  What am I going to watch in place...."  Um, nothing comes to mind that is more entertaining.

I'll be happy if the cast/crew can work around whatever the angsty BTS issues are happening and go on to have something with similar writing to this episode and at least similar cast.  

Yes, it's unrealistic to have Castle on scene, if he and Beckett are fighting, to have Molly the hacker, etc., but TV is always full of this nonsense. 

The relationship has left me cold for some time.  I'm glad all the frustratingly missed opportunities of Seasons 5, 6, and 7 are over, the stupidity and morose shirt-sniffiness of this season are over, and we can go on for some comedy and half-hearted drama.  Reading other posts, I think most here feel as I started feeling about mid-Season 5, ha.  Catch up guys!  Resignation will come ;-).

Please give me more episodes and another season just like this.

Other than the slapping, which I hated, I was entertained.

Edited by TWP

I stopped caring about Caskett or Beckett and her bs so the episode was nice. All that relationship crap needs to go - period! SHE dumped him but the boys are mad at Castle for hooking up with someone else? Sure it doesn't make any sense AT ALL after pulling any idiotic stunt known to man last year to win her back but whatever. The writers ignore it, why should I bother? ! I feel the urge to point out again: BECKETT DUMPED CASTLE! SHE NEVER EXPLAINED HERSELF! So why again is Castle the bad guy in Ryans and Espositos eyes?

I'm not even going to point out, both are still wearing their wedding rings! Funny how Caskett drew me in at the beginning but turns me of now.

The acapella stuff (not Espo in the dressing room) was the highlight of the episode.

• Love 4

I stopped caring about Caskett or Beckett and her bs so the episode was nice. All that relationship crap needs to go - period! SHE dumped him but the boys are mad at Castle for hooking up with someone else? Sure it doesn't make any sense AT ALL after pulling any idiotic stunt known to man last year to win her back but whatever. The writers ignore it, why should I bother? 

Because people usually side with the person they are better friends with or who they knew first, regardless of the reason for the split. Ryan and Esposito only know Castle through Beckett, so it's not really shocking that they'd side with her. Just like I'd expect Martha and Alexis to side with Castle. And from the boys' perspective, Castle has been telling them he wants Beckett back all season, I can see why the boys would think it was wrong of him to be sleeping with other women at the same time.  Castle referred to the secret relationship thing as being "new," so I think not much time has passed between episodes, even though it did for us. The boys being angry at Castle is one of the things that makes the most sense in this entire episode.

• Love 1

I think turning people off of Caskett is deliberate. If people don't develop a strong emotional connection to a show, maybe they are less likely to get mad and leave, and more so to reliably tune into their fun comfort food every week.

Showrunners have been trying to tune down the romance since Season 1. The romance crescendoed when they needed it toward the end of Season 4, then they worked again toward tuning down the passion again, even as the couple married.

I was a little amazed at the diminished Beckett in this ep, while Ry-Esp defended her. I think their silly siding with Beckett might be about keeping some fans happy, those who think the show-running is sexist. If Beckett's character was diminished, AND the boys sided with Castle, it would feel like piling onto the woman. It made no sense for story continuity, but this show has never been stellar in continuity.

Edited by TWP

I think turning people off of Caskett is deliberate. If people don't develop a strong emotional connection to a show, maybe they are less likely to get mad and leave, and more so to reliably tune into their fun comfort food every week.

Showrunners have been trying to tune down the romance since Season 1. The romance crescendoed when they needed it toward the end of Season 4, then they worked again toward tuning down the passion again, even as the couple married.

I think they maybe trying to turn people off of Caskett, however they must be so stupid to think that in a show's 8th season that this is feasible. Ok you will have people up and stop watching the show but none of those people are going to say I have stopped shipping it - just that the writers etc ruined it.

I know that ABC told them to tone it down by 1x02 but when you employ two actors who have had electric chemistry  like they did I think it was difficult for anyone to tone down, except obviously during S6 when it just died a death.

• Love 1

Is nobody else amused that the all-seeing Locksat will observe Beckett going in and out of the building next door to her home and be fooled? Locksat: the Keystone Kops of 2016. So Castle and Beckett will sneak around indefinitely while she openly admits that she is NOT trying to move the Locksat investigation forward? Got it.

I didn't turn off the episode, but I admit to walking away a few times to do things around the house at moments when I could not switch off my brain in order to suspend disbelief. I've started to treat the show like fan fiction - keeping expectations low and hoping for competent grammar and some kind of plot. That usually works, but not this week. Sorry, but Susan chewed some scenery, the acting overall was uninspired and that separation plot is thin to the point of transparency. But the CotW wasn't bad and the victim was sympathetic, so I suppose that's something. Or it would be if this was genuinely fan fiction and not something delivered by well-paid professionals.

Edited by pepper
  • Love 2

I hope this separation ruse doesn't continue for the weeks on end without the boys cottoning on because it will stretch what little credibility (for those that believe there is some left lol) to breaking point. I was really hoping at the end when Castle and the boys were gathered at the murder board they would give some tangible sign that they knew they were up to something but no they missed the opportunity to do that.

I would have thought he boys would cotton on to Caskett's "fun" and games not only based on their shared history with this couple but for the simple fact that Castle has gone from the almost obsessional "I want to win my wife back!" for endless months to very calmly and casually announcing to them "oh gotta get ready for my hot date with Svetlana" whilst still wearing his wedding ring, the about turn in his attitude is so severe they should be suffering from whiplash. 

Castle and Beckett are being terrible friends. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I can see what Hawley is trying to do, he's been honest enough about that, they want to turn back time, revisit season 5 when they were secretly dating but just like his attempted redo of season 4 its not really working. The characters aren't emotionally in the same place, they're a married couple who shouldn't be sneaking around like this I don't find it sexy at all.

As a viewer I want to see progression not regression with my ship, it doesn't have to be all rainbows and unicorns but if the writers want to cause an upheavel at least have the decency to ensure whatever happens to them it makes sense and I can empathise and identify with the characters in some way but right now my overriding emotions towards Castle and Beckett are distaste and frustration with their selfish silly antics.

Hawley is surely going to hit the buffers eventually when he finally runs out of prior seasons/scenarios to redo.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
I was a little amazed at the diminished Beckett in this ep, while Ry-Esp defended her. I think their silly siding with Beckett might be about keeping some fans happy, those who think the show-running is sexist. If Beckett's character was diminished, AND the boys sided with Castle, it would feel like piling onto the woman.

The accusation that the showrunners (and an actor) are misogynists is one of the most absurd I've read from the fandom.  And I've sure read a lot of absurd stuff over the years.  These kinds of accusations should not be made lightly and are without merit in my opinion.  Beckett, for all her flaws, is still unequivocally presented as the heroine in the story.  The alpha, the badass, the one with the power and the agency.  And to imply that Stana is some victim in all this is insulting to her as well as her colleagues.  Dislike the story if you want, but to attack writers and actors personally in this way without actual knowledge of any behaviour that could be labelled as such is completely unacceptable to me.

• Love 2

The accusation that the showrunners (and an actor) are misogynists is one of the most absurd I've read from the fandom.  And I've sure read a lot of absurd stuff over the years.  These kinds of accusations should not be made lightly and are without merit in my opinion.  Beckett, for all her flaws, is still unequivocally presented as the heroine in the story.  The alpha, the badass, the one with the power and the agency.  And to imply that Stana is some victim in all this is insulting to her as well as her colleagues.  Dislike the story if you want, but to attack writers and actors personally in this way without actual knowledge of any behaviour that could be labelled as such is completely unacceptable to me.

Thank you. Just...thank you.

And let's not forget contract perks MAY be in play as far as Katic's perceived reduced role goes. Maybe she WANTED it like that. Less work for more money? Why the hell not?

• Love 1

Thank you. Just...thank you.

And let's not forget contract perks MAY be in play as far as Katic's perceived reduced role goes. Maybe she WANTED it like that. Less work for more money? Why the hell not?

An odd group that thinks Stana is a victim of discrimination, while at the same time, it seems like they want to control her behavior themselves. It's a stalker mentality.

Stana has a mind of her own. Maybe she just doesn't want to hang around much anymore.

Why the hell not?

I'm sympathetic to SK's situation because she is in the age group when acting opportunities start to diminish for women.

She's  the star on Castle, but doesn't do much work outside of the program, especially compared to NF or even Seamus Dever.

Perhaps when Castle is over, her plan is to retire, have babies, teach acting or become a producer. Who knows?

Edited by femmefan1946

She could just not feel stimulated by the part anymore. Some actors don't necessarily want to be big stars and care more about interesting work. Stana seems like a creative person who's not just in this business for fame (although obviously I don't know her). 

Of course, money talks. So she signs on for another season to keep getting the paycheck, but negotiates more time off to make up for being bored?  I'd do the same thing if I could.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 3

A question. regarding the bed scene, did you catch Beckett referencing a meeting with "Captain Gates"? I don't remember that person appearing later in the episode (or maybe I wasn't paying attention when it did). If in fact, I didn't miss this meeting, I'm wondering if the mention is a prelude to the reappearance of Captain Gates in some form.

We didn't see her, but we saw Beckett again after her meeting saying she would have left it if she knew what happened to Martha. I think it was just an easy excuse to not have Beckett at the crime scene.

I just thought is was weird to say "Captain" Gates when I think Gates was promoted to something above that, which is how Beckett got promoted herself.

We didn't see her, but we saw Beckett again after her meeting saying she would have left it if she knew what happened to Martha. I think it was just an easy excuse to not have Beckett at the crime scene.

I just thought is was weird to say "Captain" Gates when I think Gates was promoted to something above that, which is how Beckett got promoted herself.

Maybe the captain is a Captain II now or something. Did we ever really learn what happened to her?

Maybe the captain is a Captain II now or something. Did we ever really learn what happened to her?

IIRC, It was mentioned in this season's first episode, that Gates was promoted (Asst. Chief??) and now works at "1 P.P.

Referring to her as  "Captain" refers to her in the manner that people at the 12th ( and the audience) are most familiar with.

• Love 2

At least we know she didn't fall down an elevator shaft. ;)  Not sure about NYPD ranks, but if she were an Asst. Chief, she might be called 'Chief' instead?  

Nice bit of comedy by Nathan in the end scene that I missed while watching and only caught in a tumblr gif set.  The bit where he took Martha's hand bag, strung it up his shoulder in a familiar way, only to slide it back down again heh.  Embrace your metrosexuality, Castle!  No shame in carrying your mum's handbag. :P

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:43 AM, CastleSeason8 said:

Even more hilarious to me that they r both going on these hot dates with glaring wedding bands on and the two great detectives cant figure it out

That was why I was sure they were only toying with Castle (and/or Beckett) and that they saw straight through the whole cheating charade immediately. They can't be that incompetent (indeed, previous episodes have shown that they're not)!

Mind you, they should have known who was responsible. On TV, 90% of the time, lawyers are evil, so it was obviously one of them.