Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Tone Death

WendyCR72

When a body is found in the theater of Martha's latest show, Castle and Beckett's investigation leads them into the unexpectedly dangerous world of competitive a capella.

Attention, Canadian viewers! I meant to ask this before: When does the show air for you? I ask because PTV now has an "Unaired in the US" tag that may be placed on show threads if it airs before the US and anyone wishes to discuss the episode.

Thanks.

There will apparently, according to my copy of TVWeekly delivered today, be a new Castle on Sunday Feb 14 at 10pm on CTV and another on Monday the 15th.

But I'm on Vancouver Island (PST) and can watch it timeshifted from Halifax , Toronto, or Edmonton.

Well i didnt hate it. Didnt love it either. That feeling of sadness that hovered is gone. I dont understand for the life of me why they went the cheating route, there was no need.

Their chemistry to me is a bit off, maybe its just me because Im still ticked off (lol). Interested to know if Im alone on that thought.

Still wouldnt watch one episode of S8 again, including this one.

Watched 15 minutes, didn't bother to watch the rest.

I'm just going to wait til 8x16 when the fake fighting apparently ends, this back and forth is going to get way worse, I can just tell.

What I liked about this episode was it being a little Martha-focused, and that it high-lighted the mother-son love....it showed Martha's heart. 

I really did not like Esposito in this episode, yet again.  I agreed with Ryan's sad sigh. 

Did not find the slap of Castle funny, either ... or the fake fight scenes for that matter.

So Castle and Beckett think so little of their barely-a-year marriage, or their relationships with their friends, to think it's a good idea to tell Kev and Javi that Castle has a new girlfriend? (And Beckett has a boyfriend?) They do know these are the same friends that see Beckett as their big sister and want to protect her, to the extent they barely spoke to Castle in season three when Castle didn't call Beckett over the summer and took Gina to the Hamptons?

• Love 2

I thought it was okay. The fake fighting wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I feel like they are going for farce-like with it, which doesn't make sense, but whatever. That's what the show is these days.  I did like that they showed Castle and Beckett were communicating and trying to be supportive of each other clandestinly.  I guess they aren't worried about Locksat taping their phones?

I thought the scenes where Caskett did interact just proved how flat everything feels when it is just one or the other of them with the boys or whoever.

Did they forget that Beckett speaks Russian/can do a Russian accent? I thought that was the whole point of making Castle's new girlfriend Russian.

I thought it was amusing that during the fake fights they had Ryan/Espo watching, but apparently told all the background actors to just act normal, so they totally ignored it.  My boss has never gotten into a screaming match with her husband at my office, but I'm pretty sure if she did EVERYONE would pay attention.

The case was okay, I guess. I like the idea of ex-cons turning their lives around because of the arts, but it made it really sad that Robin died before she could really do that.  But caring about the victim is a good sign, I think. In some cases I haven't ever remembered the victim by the end of the episode.

One nitpick with the case....the killer and his wife were both lawyers, right? So why the hell did they even think of talking to the cops without their own lawyer? 

I felt so bad for Ryan in that scene where Beckett told him she was dating someone too.  I think she was trying to make him feel better, but I think it made it worse. I could hear his shipper heart breaking there.

When did Alexis become a hacker? I didn't mind her helping with the emoji puzzle thing, but the hacking thing is weird.  She used to just annoy me a little, but them trying to turn her into super-PI just angers me.  And I'm usually the positive one!Remember when she cared about school? And seemed to want to make a difference in the world? Molly Quinn is a good actress, but I don't think she's pulling off this new version of her character.

• Love 1

So Castle and Beckett think so little of their barely-a-year marriage, or their relationships with their friends, to think it's a good idea to tell Kev and Javi that Castle has a new girlfriend? (And Beckett has a boyfriend?) They do know these are the same friends that see Beckett as their big sister and want to protect her, to the extent they barely spoke to Castle in season three when Castle didn't call Beckett over the summer and took Gina to the Hamptons?

Castle and Beckett in the same room together doesn't make sense to begin with. The fact that the writers are completely ignoring the history of these characters isn't surprising at all considering.

The stories of their fake new boyfriend/girlfriend is only going to get worse as well, because they are going to spend every episode from this point forward going into more and more details about 'them' and making it look more believable.

How long until Vikram or the new lawyer guy becomes this hypothetical boyfriend of Beckett's? It won't remain a nameless person, I'm 100% certain of it.

Ahh, but thats canon. No place for such things in S8 according to AH

Edited by CastleSeason8

It's hilarious how they have that fake fight at the start of the episode and then 5 seconds later are standing right next to each other and talking about a case as if nothing has changed.

Not one question from Ryan or Espo, no awkward pauses, nothing.

Edited by Chado
  • Love 1

It's hilarious how they have that fake fight at the start of the episode and then 5 seconds later are standing right next to each other and talking about a case as if nothing has changed.

Not one question from Ryan or Lanie, no awkward pauses, nothing.

Even more hilarious to me that they r both going on these hot dates with glaring wedding bands on and the two great detectives cant figure it out
  • Love 2

Not one question from Ryan or Espo, no awkward pauses, nothing.

Well, it fits, doesn't it? No one seemed to care or be all that bothered that Beckett walked out of her marriage in the first place.

• Love 1

I have to say, if you ignore all canon, logic and common sense, the episode was pretty entertaining. I can fan wank that they aren't really fake cheating since it's a fake agreed upon separation. Not that it makes the plot any less stupid. With what he probably had to work with, I think Bella did a great job.

More Martha, please. She even makes Alexis tolerable.

• Love 1

How long until Vikram or the new lawyer guy becomes this hypothetical boyfriend of Beckett's? It won't remain a nameless person, I'm 100% certain of it.

Well, since Beckett already told them the name and occupation of her "boyfriend" I don't think they can backtrack and give him a new name and occupation. 

• Love 1

Well, since Beckett already told them the name and occupation of her "boyfriend" I don't think they can backtrack and give him a new name and occupation. 

Easily changed, you talk as if they aren't hand-waving entire character history here

Edited by Chado
  • Love 1

I tried to enjoy this but the episode title was fitting upon reflection. I've come to the realisation I can't watch any more Castle until their separation is over and by then who knows may be I'll have done myself a favour and kicked Castle to the curb, it's a sad way to say good bye to a show I've watched since the pilot but that's life. It feels like my intelligence is being insulted on a weekly basis and worse the writers are ignoring seven years of fundamental back story and character development as they plough on reinventing the show. 

I find the idea that either Castle or Beckett would play out a fake adultery scam completely unbelievable, it goes against everything I know about them. It's bullshit! I don’t find even fake adultery funny, I don’t find slapping people funny, I don’t find lying to friends and family funny. I don't find having fake rows in the workplace funny. Yet apparently this is all clearly meant to be very funny indeed. The writers so called “humor” is getting increasingly crass and tasteless, if this is how they think real life supposedly mature loving people behave they must live fucked up personal lives.

I can't get over the bad choices the writers keep making this season when it comes to this couple, they just continue to compound their errors. Locksat don't feel remotely threatening but instead the most incompetent bad guy ever, it's a joke. This latest ruse is so juvenile and pointless I feel like banging my head against a brick wall in frustration at the writers limited imagination.

Remember how Beckett was back in the early days of their dating and even prior to their relationship? Protecting her heart and emotionally vulnerable, serious, professional, private and worried about Castle and his "playboy" ways and concerned if he was committed, not wanting him back in S5 to even fake date around? Castle was the guy cheated on by his first wife and became a social butterfly but fans watched his development from slightly jerkish playboy to a man worthy of capturing Beckett's heart who has been through more than most men in order to win her love AND trust. But forget all that now this is Castle 2.0 and lets ignore the characters histories. 

Also, this latest ruse makes everyone around them look equally dumb. Right now a Bobby Ewing moment of Castle coming out the shower would be hugely welcomed sending me back to 7.23 but I know that's not going to happen. The writers clearly don't give a damn what they do, it destroys the magic of what made this show (and Caskett) so special to me and worse makes them appear unlikeable and fake, and no amount of cheap sex talk is going to make up for what I've lost as a viewer. I don't recognise these people any more, it's like I've been dumped into some crazy day time soap opera.

• Love 13

Positives.
No Hayley, Vikram, or the new slimy lawyer. I didn't miss them.
Love the 80's music brought back some great memories.
Martha gets more to do for once, lets hope that's not only time. I miss Martha, an episode is always better with more of her in it.
The case was actually okay and held my interest.

The COTW was good but the rest of it was a hot mess. Locksat comes across as the dumbest villans ever with this nonsensical ruse. Ryan really looked heartbroken when Beckett told him she had a "boyfriend". He has been one of their biggest supporters, but then the boys don't come off that well as detectives since they seem to buy the fake fight when they've seen them have real arguments in the precinct. At this point I think AH/TWP separation of Caskett storyline is worst than CC separation of Mulder/Scully on the mini series.

I did enjoy Martha in the opening scene and she got more lines in this ep than usual. Espo was amusing when he did the whole a capella battle with Corbin Bleu. Laine still has her one lividity line per ep lol. Alexis wasn't as annoying but the random mad hacking skills has got to go. It's like tptb kept going back and forth between Alexis and Haley for computer skills around the PI office.

• Love 1

Positives.

No Hayley, Vikram, or the new slimy lawyer. I didn't miss them.

Love the 80's music brought back some great memories.

Martha gets more to do for once, lets hope that's not only time. I miss Martha, an episode is always better with more of her in it.

The case was actually okay and held my interest.

Agree with all of the above *except* I adore Hayley. I would love a spin off of the Alexis and Hayley Detective Agency. Who can deny that Alexis has the perfect physicality for campy scenes of a young woman exploring a foreboding unlit basement?

Some more thoughts and observations as the episode ticked along.

The opening scene didn't excite, I realise this is subjective but their chemistry and conversation felt off, this was meant to be sexy but felt anything but to me. It didn't help that I wasn't remotely buying them having three rounds of hot sex, simply telling an audience something has happened doesn't necessarily make it true. I need to believe. Both actors seem to be pretty much going through the motions at this point. The chemistry has sadly faded, it feels like they're forcing it into the script. Aside from the fake fighting their relationship based on this episode with the bookended scenes seems to now revolve around banging and little else. Obviously they have no intention of discussing (on screen at least) Beckett's past actions, it's easier to have them do this instead.

The fake fighting felt equally forced and badly acted was it meant to be? Not that they had to worry as the boys seem taken in by it. Given where this was taking place their behaviour was grossly unprofessional and completely unbelievable that Kate would contemplate undermining her position in this way. I hate what they did to Beckett as for that slap...this is not what they're about as a couple, they never had that kind of relationship, would those fans giggling away about this be quite so amused if Castle had whacked her one? Urgh

Is Beckett in charge here or not? Castle tells her he's on the case no matter what, Hello! She's CAPTAIN she can do whatever she likes including removing him from the precinct and off the investigation.

Castle is a writer supposedly and Svetlana is the best thing he can come up with under pressure? Sigh

Will there be repercussions to them lying to their friends and family? Doubt it because remember it's fun. 

Bumbling stumbling Castle. Enough!  Why are the writers so intent on making this guy look so clownish and pathetic? The trip in the precinct was super annoying. 

Alexis is a super hacker and Castle taking his daughter into dangerous situation continues to grate, at least she has the common sense to call the cops when things look dicey, her father is a waste of space in that department, gone is the caring, protective parent of old. Castle letting Alexis get into potentially dangerous situations is a bugbear of mine, if they meet a bad guy intent on doing serious damage one day Castle's using what's left of his wit to fend them off isn't going to do much good. I'm not a parent but if anything happened to your child partly due to your own incompetence and foolishness it would surely destroy you. I don't believe Castle would ever put her in danger yet he does so now on a regular basis.

Why do I get the feeling the writers are banking on Caskett sex to make fans forget about wanting any genuine character development? They've completely ignored the repercussions to their relationship of the last 8 episodes and obviously think showing fans they're sort of together and fucking a lot is good enough, it will probably work lol. 

Why was Kate dressed like she'd just got out of bed and put some sloppy pants, tee shirt on and comfy bath robe when she was speaking to Castle about Svetlana?  Has the curse of Luke struck her too God forbid!

The boys look stupid for not figuring something is going on, it's not only Caskett that has been corrupted by this shitty story but everyone else too is forced to abandon logic and common sense.

The point of no return for me was when Beckett decided to create Dr Livingstone when confronted by Ryan (pity this scene could have had some emotional depth but as usual they avoided it like the plague lol) and also when she confronted Castle about his made up ruse and the only thing she was bothered about was the name he chose WTF! This is so far removed from the Beckett I've watched for 7 years that I realised the writers are writing for a completely new show with new characters who just happened to be called Castle and Beckett because I don't recognize these people any more.

You know what's seriously fucking weird? No one gives a crap, it's bizarre we're talking about adultery here and after what these two have been through together they should be devastated after barely a year of marriage but everyone is just casually walking around each other between the fight scenes as if nothing much is wrong and it's CRAZY. There is no organic flow to anything, it's like the cut and paste stuff together. It requires a complete suspension of logic, real people do not act like this! We're not talking fantasy sci fi here where I could possibly excuse some of this disconnection. 

I don't believe for one second the "old" Castle would be remotely happy with continuing to take a back seat whilst Beckett risks her life taking the lead in continuing to investigate Locksat.  Her brush off of him felt condescending and his acceptance was way too casually done. Bottom line she is still working on her own and he's out the loop - he only gets told if she decides it's worthwhile. That's dumb she should be using his talents to help her search for clues but then does she even know who her husband is any more?  

What happened to Beckett being able to fake a Russian accent? What accent was she going for exactly when she knocked on the door lol! Seems the writers have zero recollection of anything that happened on this show prior to S7.

The end scene was again lacking in intensity and energy, more banging behind closed doors but it was laughable that after talking about sneaking in from the other building they openly kiss with the front door wide open to the loft. I guess Locksat are on holiday right now or watching something else like I will be next week. 

Them fighting in public made no sense to me, what has changed now that they have to up the drama stakes because they need Locksat to believe but didn't Kate need Locksat to believe that before? Surely their change in behaviour makes it even more obvious something is up. It's illogical as is the entire story arc which has been the fundamental problem with this season - nothing makes the remotest sense if you engage your brain. Oh and they're still wearing their wedding rings...

The boys are right its all kind of wrong, Castle used to be all about their relationship and connection both physical and emotional now if they're not fake fighting they're fucking but that's all they're doing and it's not what the show used to be about.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3

Verdana, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.  I do remember that sense of disappointment you seem to be feeling from some past episodes where I've experienced the same. Anyone who has been on this board for a long time knows that I've never been part of any kumbaya group or whatever you want to call it.  There have been issues both with characterisation and plotlines in the past that I have been critical of, and the same exists today, but my benchmark for any show I watch in my decision whether to continue watching or not, is always whether I'm still enjoying it.  If I'm not enjoying it, I'm out.  If I am bored to the point where I'm constantly zoning out, I'm out.  I am still finding enjoyment and entertainment from Castle, flawed as it has been for several seasons now, so perhaps I am more forgiving of flaws in general.  My perspective is to enjoy it as light-hearted entertainment and I don't take stuff like plotholes with Locksat seriously.  I understand that mileage varies in this.  People may also have different perspectives on how entertaining or how palatable the current Caskett arc is; all I can say for myself is that I still like seeing the characters together, still enjoy the chemistry, and don't take any illogical contortions too seriously.  Again, mileage varies.

I liked the episode.  Kept me entertained even if didn't blow me away.  Not bad for a first effort.  I like the Caskett separation better as a source of light hearted comedy than angst if I really had to choose between the two.  I actually thought the Caskett scenes together showed a lot of chemistry.  But then, I've thought the chemistry between them has been strong all along this season.  The dialogue and the acting have made these scenes more lively to me than say, during the wedding planning arc.  Yes, if this were true to life, there would be a lot of unresolved angst and marital issues pertaining to the separation, but the show is what it is, and I'm willing to go with it if they want to turn a page on the angst.  Fake fighting is a bit farcical but I don't mind a bit of farce in judicious doses.  I loved the farce on Frasier.  The boys do come off a bit dumb, I was waiting for them to put it together at the end, but they exist to service Mom and Dad heh.  Felt a little sorry for them in that they were kept out of the loop when Caskett first got together, kept out of the wedding, and now kept out of the loop again.  Sometimes you do wonder if Caskett actually values their friendship ;), but it's the same with Beckett/Lanie.  The "friends" service the leads and don't really get to have a brain of their own when it's not convenient. ;)  I do hope the boys, Ryan in particular, gets to pull one over Caskett in the future for breaking his poor romantic heart. 

Svetlana.  Yes, it's a bit ridiculous but that's why I thought it was funny.  Would have loved to see and hear more of Russian Beckett in action at the end.  I hope Beckett's Doctor fantasies doesn't mean she's still missing Dr Motorcycle Boy on any level heh.

Good to see Martha get marginally more to do. ;)  Still want more for her.  She adds heart and genuine feeling to any storyline.  There wasn't much emphasis on Martha/Castle but the mother/son interaction was played nicely.  Nathan and Susan just do the mother/son supportive relationship so well.  I liked her yellow wardrobe.

The COTW was just okay to me, but I liked that we were made to care more about the victim, and I enjoyed the singing. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 2

Castle is a writer supposedly and Svetlana is the best thing he can come up with under pressure? Sigh

Only thing I can come up with is that Castle was watching Shameless the night before and that's why the name pop out.

Unusually weird promo? Most of the time we got the standard it's about the COTW but this was all about Caskett romance. It's like tptb are trying way too hard to beg the fans to come back. Curious to see the ratings tomorrow. Will it hold steady or decline even more?

I thought the scenes where Caskett did interact just proved how flat everything feels when it is just one or the other of them with the boys or whoever.

They weren't terrible, but I definitely agree with you that Caskett scenes together are the ones that really spark.  Followed by when it's one of them with the boys, followed by the boys just by themselves.  But to be fair, the boys by themselves are usually just left with the least interesting case exposition scenes so it's not like they have a lot of material to spark with.  I do still enjoy the Castle with Martha/Alexis scenes and it's not like there are that many of them.

Did they forget that Beckett speaks Russian/can do a Russian accent? I thought that was the whole point of making Castle's new girlfriend Russian.

Russian!Beckett.  Ah, good times.  May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I liked the bit of physical comedy played out between the boys with the Svetlana revelation.

One nitpick with the case....the killer and his wife were both lawyers, right? So why the hell did they even think of talking to the cops without their own lawyer?

Ha, should we celebrate that there was only one nitpick? ;)  I always have to grit my teeth and handwave it whenever the perpetrators start spilling their guts to the police, because just no, never say anything.  It's harder to handwave when it's lawyers who definitely should know better but again... I suppose cop shows would never get their third act and The Closer would not exist as a show if perpetrators knew to shut up. ;)   I thought the lawyer killer actor with rather weak with his scene at the end. 

I felt so bad for Ryan in that scene where Beckett told him she was dating someone too.  I think she was trying to make him feel better, but I think it made it worse. I could hear his shipper heart breaking there.

Yeah, I felt bad for him too.  I guess Beckett saying she was dating someone else too was her way of not having the boys hate on Castle so much, but yeah, they chose to have her go the Dr Livingstone diversionary route rather than hint at what was really going on with him.

When did Alexis become a hacker? I didn't mind her helping with the emoji puzzle thing, but the hacking thing is weird.  She used to just annoy me a little, but them trying to turn her into super-PI just angers me.  And I'm usually the positive one!Remember when she cared about school? And seemed to want to make a difference in the world? Molly Quinn is a good actress, but I don't think she's pulling off this new version of her character.

Alexis hasn't bothered me this season in the way she bothered me during her boyfriend drama.  Maybe because she's mostly just existing as a Tory replacement and to fill out a role in the COTW.  I would rather she have a personal storyline, but the writers seem to have determined they want to use her in this investigative capacity.  I think the writers are trying to spread out the investigative scene workload between the leads, the boys, and Alexis and Toks.  The only personal stories this season have been Caskett and Locksat conspiracy stuff, none of the secondary characters have really gotten stories of their own.

That flowery blouse she was wearing while she was at the computer looked like it should have come straight out of Martha's wardrobe! 

• Love 1

Yes, ignore what you've put these people through to get them together and make them fake cheat and slap each other and act unprofessional in the workplace. GREAT IDEA!

You know what's worse than an omnipotent villain who knows everything? TALKING about how a villain knows everything but not showing it! 

The Castle/Beckett relationship flits from scene to scene, as if they've completely forgotten the face-slapping that just went on. If there was cheating and all of this, these people would be UPSET. There would be tears and heartache. Beckett's "BEST FRIEND" would be comforting her. There would be feelings and hurt backward glances and subtle drama.

But they can't bring the show down like that, so, yes, they insult our intelligence and make it slapstick and stupid and dumb everyone down, so Castle and Beckett can be shadows of their former selves. My intelligence is insulted to such a degree, I can't even tell you.

And the only people they seem to be "fooling?" Are the trained detectives they work with who know them really well.

These points you mentioned are why the show is going to keep sucking until 8x16 (when the fake fighting apparently ends). The required levels of hand-waving to buy into the fake fighting and find humor in it....is beyond epic proportions as far as I'm concerned.

The thing that depresses me the most is that the romance/'sex' scenes at the start/end of this episode just feels completely tacky to me. It feels 10000% thrown in purely to appease fans. It is all very manipulative.

The best and most natural scenes were when either character (Castle/Beckett) were concerned and asking about Martha. Why can't any of that ever transition into their own relationship?

Edited by Chado
  • Love 2

I have to admit, I did kind of miss my show these past couple of months, and was excited to have it back.

I thought the episode was one of the better ones of season 8 so far, and there were a few moments where I was laughing, but I am not okay with the slap and the letting people believe Castle is cheating on Beckett - at all. It's simply ridiculous and in my opinion completely out of character. But what's even worse than that is, they are hurting people with their actions. Ryan seemed so crushed when Beckett told him about 'Dr. Livingstone', and the boys try so hard to support Beckett and be there for her, and she just goes on lying to their faces?!

If I were Ryan and Esposito, I'm not sure I'd want Castle and Beckett as my friends any longer...

• Applause 1
So, yes, where is my lighthearted show with a heart? Well, it's gone.

Luckily, not for me.  

This show got me to fall in love with Castle and Beckett, separately and together. They've established certain character traits and backgrounds. Now the people who run this show are just pretending they're different people. It's heartbreaking to watch a show trash itself. To treat its main characters with disrespect. To treat the viewers with disrespect.

I don't feel any of the above, so that just goes to show mileage varies.  And I've been a viewer of the show since the very beginning and gone through the show's ups and downs so I feel pretty secure in my own understanding of what the characters and show is about, for me at the very least, and I do not feel the show has deviated from that to the extent some perceive.

Do I agree with every choice Castle and Beckett ever made?  No, and often their questionable choices in the past were dictated by the writers' need to create conflict for dramatic purposes.  I make allowance for that.  Do I still recognise the heart of the characters despite their flaws? Yes, I do.  I do give this show as I do other works of drama dramatic licence, and usually do not apply real world standards to the show, otherwise I might as well watch a documentary and would never have entertained the concept of a writer being able to shadow cops around from episode one.  All the innuendo we so enjoyed could have been taken as sexual harassment in the real world.  But obviously all this is again a matter of mileage and perspective.  I'm glad to still find entertainment and enjoyment from the show and that's why I"m still watching it.  

So what is the reason supposed to be for Beckett and Castle to not be together? Why are they pulling this ruse in the first place? At first, it was to protect Castle, right? If he knew what she was doing he'd try to help and that would put him in danger so she left him to keep him safe. As stupid as that was, and as pointless as that was (because they were still working together so what difference did it really make) at least there was some warped rationale to it.

But why get back together and keep it secret from friends? Supposedly Locksat is this super smart organization, they're not going to be fooled easily. Castle IS going to be working with her on Locksat. That's what they're going to care about, who is working together -- not who is sleeping together. All the agents who were killed by Locksat, was because they were working against Locksat, not because they lived together. Her working with Vikram puts them both in danger... because they're working against Locksat, not because they're sleeping together.

As soon as Castle is actually in on the Locksat situation, there is literally no point whatsoever to pretending to not be sleeping/living together. Especially since they're still obviously and publicly working together as detectives.

And did I hear her say she's sneaking into his building *from the building next door*?  Is this some new bizarre security lapse we've not heard of before?

Madmaverick I've been with you about giving a wide pass to many things on the show as long as I was still enjoying myself. But this episode was just so stupid. I didn't even enjoy the COTW, it was predictable and annoying and speaking as someone involved in the performance world, it was utterly unrealistic. Two different times (maybe even two different days) they went to the a capella show theatre and both times the same group was standing in the same place doing the same warmup. And group improv just doesn't work that way.

And how did the victim seeing that video convince her that the guy was lying and she needed to get a copy and go confront the guy? She was so drunk she didn't even remember the accident, how the heck would she remember or care whether she was wearing a scarf or not or where it had come from? It's a pretty big leap to suddenly figure out the truth with, like, no clues.

Anyway, the COTW wasn't the WORST but it wasn't enough to get me through how stupid everything else was. :(

• Love 2

So what is the reason supposed to be for Beckett and Castle to not be together? Why are they pulling this ruse in the first place? At first, it was to protect Castle, right? If he knew what she was doing he'd try to help and that would put him in danger so she left him to keep him safe. As stupid as that was, and as pointless as that was (because they were still working together so what difference did it really make) at least there was some warped rationale to it.

They sort of changed this. It was originally that Beckett left so Castle wouldn't know she was investigating Locksat and get involved in the case. But in the fall finale they said she left because Locksat would hurt anyone she close to. I don't know if they just got pressure to change the storyline or if the writers are that bad at remembering what they said before.

However, Locksat strikes me as a shoot first, ask questions the later kind of guy. If he knows Beckett is investigating he'd probably just go after her and Castle just to cover his bases.

The other thing that's silly....do they think Ryan/Espo are talking to Locksat? They should care how they look in public and not worry the boys saw them smiling at each other in the break room.

But if I accept the stupidity of the plot, the episode was fairly enjoyable.

The fake “cheating” angle is a poorly thought out mess and so were their reactions to it, plus are they are still wearing their wedding rings. Loksat would figure these two out in a second if they cared! I didn’t get the point of the fake fighting either, if she didn’t want him there she can get uniforms to drag him out of there and being happy in public?

Fillion was phoning it in during the bedroom scene, more Katic than I think we have seen in a while in this episode, and the last scene was beyond rushed. No newbie cast members annoying us with their expositions so there was a positive, unfortunately Alexis is still around but more Martha is always welcome.

Nothing has really changed in terms of them approaching the characters like they are alien to them in the last 2 months since the show aired. Sigh.

• Love 1

As soon as Castle is actually in on the Locksat situation, there is literally no point whatsoever to pretending to not be sleeping/living together. Especially since they're still obviously and publicly working together as detectives.

Thank you for saying this far better than I could have.

Based on Beckett's ability to speak/do a Russian accent, and Castle having a stethoscope.

Is it too much of a stretch  to guess/hope that "Svetlana" and "Dr. Livingstone" are names that Caskett uses/used when role playing sex?

• Love 1
But if I accept the stupidity of the plot, the episode was fairly enjoyable.

Heh. ;)  Honestly, much about Locksat does not make sense to me, but then again, if you ask me if the Bracken stuff or Castle's disappearance made sense in the end, I probably couldn't explain it all to you either.  I don't think these kind of long-reaching arcs have ever been the strength of the show.  I know there are plot holes aplenty but I don't really go burrowing into them either.  I treat Locksat like I do a Bond villain, the set piece broad strokes antagonist that doesn't always make sense.  I watched a show like BSG for years, enjoyed it, and still in the end a lot of the mythology didn't make sense to me but I was OK with it because I had always been more invested in the characters than the mythology.  Other viewers couldn't accept it though if they thought it didn't all make sense.  

And did I hear her say she's sneaking into his building *from the building next door*?  Is this some new bizarre security lapse we've not heard of before?

Lol, yeah, that made me laugh.  But being realistic about security has never been this show's strong suit.  

Tankgirl, sorry you didn't enjoy.  Hopefully next time.

I wasn't that pleased by Beckett saying she'd clue Castle in when the time was right, because I don't think that's really the best approach either, but I'm resigned to the writers not wanting to deal with the elephant in the room that is Locksat until they want movement on this storyline, which in line with what Marlowe used to do, won't be when the big showdown comes towards the end of the season.

I thought the bedroom scene was fine.  Not setting my screen on fire but perfectly respectable chemistry and acting wise.

Edited by madmaverick

Couple of thoughts. Why was she knocking on her own door? They're still married right? Still her loft too? Or maybe not-maybe she gave back her key.

I doubt we'll get any meaningful apology to the boys, it will be just another thing swept under the rug. I also wonder if and how they will address Martha and Alexis finding out about this stupid ruse and if they'll just fall in line as well.

Wardrobe has gone from bad to worse, whats up with Espos hair and why does NF look so much better off the Castle set? Is this done on purpose?

Couple of thoughts. Why was she knocking on her own door? They're still married right? Still her loft too? Or maybe not-maybe she gave back her key.

Like the door to the loft is ever locked.....

But she had to knock so she could tell him it was "Svetlana."

• Love 1

No worries madmaverick, from what snippets I had already seen based on my pathetic inability to be remain completely spoiler free I feared this episode was going to be a defining point in my Castle viewing this season, and so it proved but at least I was mentally prepared, Locksat has claimed another victim lol, I'm very glad you've been spared it's deathly clutches and continue to enjoy the show.  I shall continue to visit the episode thread each week to catch up on what's been going on, there have been many times when reading the commentaries on here has proven far more entertaining than watching the actual show.

So I had a rewatch and the case still held my interest, the Martha connection certainly helped there.  That's what they need to do make things a little more personal so there's some investment to be had, I still would have liked a bit more Martha. 

I'm going to have nightmares tonight about that horrid blouse Alexis was wearing when hacking that account. I'm betting it's expensive. *shudder*

Robin was so pretty and I loved her hair.  

The moments that felt like Castle to me were any of the scenes between Rick and his mother, Nathan and Susan are great together and have an obvious bond which pays huge dividends.

Lanie has become such a non entity to me these days I don't even *see* her as a true secondary cast member any more she's just a bod that turns up and says lividity.

I agree that it's weird that on one reacts to them fighting except Espo and Ryan.

Watching that slap from Beckett still makes me stew, that's assault I don't care about excuses regarding "context" that I've seen doing the rounds, she would have been at the very least reprimanded or even fired in some jobs for doing that. I still can't believe they wrote that in, especially in this day and age, times have moved on and the writers should do likewise. 

What is Alexis majoring in? Bubble blowing and emoji?

I usually get severe second hand embarrassment whenever they do singing on shows like this but not this time I loved the eighties acapella, Wham, Soft Cell aaah those were the days lol.  Pity Castle had to interrupt Espo by accidentally spitting in his face...sigh more buffoonery that I could do without. 

May be it's just me but when Castle picked up the lacy little bra and then the picture of the lady and said "fat chance" I didn't care for that, these writers don't know when to stop.

“Sure, maybe we'll get lucky and Castle will get shot.” Seriously? That's another remark that feels beneath the Kate Beckett I used to know, yet again it's meant to be funny I know but fell flat as a pancake, how is saying she hopes her husband gets shot especially given what's she's been through and the supposed danger they could be in remotely funny?

I'm also baffled along with some other posters as to why Kate and Castle can't trust their so called friends to keep their secret or their family for that matter.  I feel bad for them being lied to like this.

Martha at the end was great, Susan is a star and the bit that genuinely made me laugh (the only bit) was Castle almost slinging her bag over his shoulder when she gave it to him and then realising how it looked lol, now that's the kind of humor I can enjoy. I wish it had ended on that lovely note instead I was given the Svetlana and Dr Livingstone fiasco back at the loft. 

As for the quality of the Caskett interaction, if I recall the writers said they wanted to delve more into the characters...9 episodes in and I'm still waiting for that to happen, I've learnt precious little about Castle and Beckett since S8 started other than they're more juvenile and dumb then I ever thought possible.  I hope the writers aren't falling into the trap of believing that the intense complaints from certain quarters about the lack of Caskett time is because fans simply want to see more skin and hear about their kinky sex life more often because if so I believe that's a big mistake. It's not just about seeing this couple getting it on (or should I say taking it off lol) it's also about the mental connection Castle and Beckett have together and how they approach things in different ways but to each other's mutual benefit. It's seeing how they learn more about each other and grow as people.

You could remove the separation bullshit and still do the same things with a little tweaking. I fail to understand why they kept this story arc going when they had a chance to wrap it up completely in 8.08.

At the moment Castle might as well be banging a hot Russian supermodel for all I care as I have no investment in Hawley and Winter's version of Castle and Beckett and their once "epic" love story. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

The fake “cheating” angle is a poorly thought out mess and so were their reactions to it, plus are they are still wearing their wedding rings. Loksat would figure these two out in a second if they cared! I didn’t get the point of the fake fighting either, if she didn’t want him there she can get uniforms to drag him out of there and being happy in public?

I've figured out the angle of attack!  Make the situations so lame that even Loksat doesn't care! Maybe that's a little too meta of an idea.

• Love 1
At the moment Castle might as well be banging a hot Russian supermodel for all I care as I have no investment in Hawley and Winter's version of Castle and Beckett and their love story.

That's almost what Katic is ;-).  So you get your wish or close geography to it ;-).

But this is a guy who named his lady cop "Nikki Heat" and her lover "Jameson Rook".

Why do professional writers have such a hard time writing copy?

Fake ads are possibly even worse in TV and movies. The 'viral video' of Castle's book was just horrible and unwatchable in its original iteration and stupid in the 'blooper' version.

Isn't the point of an ad to make the product seem desirable?

Locksat isn't a "we" it is one person. He/she clearly has people working for him, but it's an individual not a group.

The other thing is why doesn't Castle care that Beckett is putting herself in danger? He should want to protect her too, but I guess we can't get to that until the writers are ready to revisit.

Anyway, I liked seeing Beckett and Castle together again, even if the storyline is dumb.

I actually do think Beckett felt bad about lying to Ryan. She came up with the Dr. Livingston thing because he told her he was crushed about Castle and Svetlana, and wanted him to think she moved on (even though that wouldn't explain the slap). But I still feel bad for Ryan. I didn't think he and Espo had a right to be pissed about not going to the wedding, but here they do. Even if they didn't seem to care in the first half of the season. I feel like this episode was an exercise in improv, where everything was made up as they went along, and supposed to be funny, but made no sense when really examined.

I want to know if Alexis and Martha know the truth. And where they're living these days, because it's evidently not the loft. Not that I want to see more Alexis, I just want some basic info.

Fillion was phoning it in during the bedroom scene, more Katic than I think we have seen in a while in this episode, and the last scene was beyond rushed. No newbie cast members annoying us with their expositions so there was a positive, unfortunately Alexis is still around but more Martha is always welcome.

Nothing has really changed in terms of them approaching the characters like they are alien to them in the last 2 months since the show aired. Sigh.

The whole LokSat scorched earth policy is ridiculous. As far as we have seen on screen he killed the AG agents only. We never saw or heard anything to indicate he wiped out their whole family tree. As far as the lady in charge went I always assumed he went to her & said something like "If you don't take the fall I'll kill your family." It seems to me as long as LokSat is in the dark about the investigation they are all safe. As soon as he becomes aware of it they are all in danger regardless of any "Svetlana & Dr Livingstone" bullshit. It's not going to matter that their friends think they are adulterers either. That will probably just get some poor woman named Svetlana killed along with them. I'm sorry but a child could come up with a more believable reason to have them separated.

• Love 1

Season 8 Episode 9 Review: Tone Death has A Few Wrong Notes

Whether Lokstak is a person or a group, in the story viewers are being asked to swallow this entity as being able to: send out multiple assassination teams undetected, have a person killed in a high security prison, evade the CIA for as least as long as Beckett’s mother was killed, have tabs on the FBI database and track people’s movements. Beckett knows this. However, she thinks, and we’re supposed to believe, that this person or entity is not going to be keeping an eye on the person that tripped the data alarm in the first place. Especially not since right after the setup of the female agent as the fall woman Beckett randomly left her husband. That didn’t look suspicious at all. Beckett’s entire assumption that someone isn’t keeping an eye on her is so not how Beckett has thought over most seasons. 

This whole paragraph but especially the bold part. Winter and Hawley have worked on this show before so how the hell do they not know these characters?!? This is not Beckett ... not the one we've known for 7 seasons. This is plot pure and simple - no character. 

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 4

Good things about the episode first:

- The A cappella scenes. Could have gone on a bit longer.
- Martha in her element like old times.
- The fake adultery including the slapping. I thought that was funny because the script and actors made it work for me in that very moment (watching with blinders on). Ryan’s crestfallen face after he learned about Dr. Livingstone. Beckett’s startled reaction to the boys when they tried to softly address the situation or when they offered their support. The name Svetlana made it even more amusing because I know someone called Svetlana who would definitely eat someone like Castle alive. Bruised ego and all.

COWT: They are still giving me too much information. I know it’s a police procedural but other shows make it more interesting. A balance between strict police talk and police talk meant to showcase relationships or certain characteristics. And if there are holes in the case (as there always are, regardless of how many suspects and eyewitnesses they interview), why bother with so many scenes of the same kind. With Castle PI, there happened some change of scenery. But due to its (IMO) neither-fish-nor-fowl status, it’s sometimes less enjoyable.

Honestly, much about Locksat does not make sense to me, but then again, if you ask me if the Bracken stuff or Castle's disappearance made sense in the end, I probably couldn't explain it all to you either.  I don't think these kind of long-reaching arcs have ever been the strength of the show.

I think the show’s original mythology (from Beckett’s mom to Bracken’s demise) is vastly different from what has been served up these last two seasons in form of Castle’s disappearance or Locksat. It worked because it was a traumatic event in Beckett’s past that served to make her character more whole and her decisions more relatable. When shadows from the past reared their ugly heads in certain episodes over the series run, it had an holistic impact, it was explored on different levels (story, characters, relationships). And it could be put on the back burner once the trail went cold or used as an underlying threat. (It’s not like I didn’t have any problems with the Mombatross, but they got the setup right).

Castle’s disappearance was a recent traumatic (or so I would think) event. And they did nothing with it, except using it to create some mistrust on Beckett’s side. Same with Locksat. Two episodes to introduce it like the sword of Damocles, but its impact is solely used to create some yearning and now hide-and-seek playtime. I've been trying to find some fitting TV Trope but it seems they created a brand new one.

Edited by Sonik Tooth

Castle: Tone Death – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review

Please, Castle writers and showrunners: Put us out of our misery and give us back the show we know and love, with Rick and Kate together solving cases without all the silly pretense and stupid, contrived storylines. 

Oh yes to this with bells on. 

The show needs a good, old-fashioned head-spinning, pea-soup-puking, exorcism to rid itself of the demons who’ve possessed it for so long. An exorcism to purge itself of boilerplate scripts, goofy scenes where detectives investigating murders engage in singing battles with homicide suspects, a husband and wife cannot live as husband and wife out of fear of some sort gloom and doom death plot, yet they sleep together, work together, hang out together…everything but say, “we’re married.” Speaking of boilerplate scripts, who didn’t know the ID of killer the moment we saw him on the screen, sitting there with that flashing red neon “I’m the Killer” sign hanging above his head.

I agree an exorcism is what may be required at this stage. 

Castle Recap: #SvetlanaStone 4Ever TV Line recap from Matt