Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: The Gloves Are On

Why did the show jump ahead 5 years into the future if the girls are not going to be any more mature and make the same mistakes they made as teenagers? Did they not learn anything from their previous A experiences?

Sara Harvey—can she please be killed next?  Like before she steals Emily’s eggs.

Aria really needs to get her head out of Fitz’s ass and pay more attention to her current boyfriend.

While I’m not completely convinced of Spencer and Caleb’s romance, I can’t deny their love scene was hot! More please, it was the most interesting thing all episode

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 3

I'm looking at the unfortunate love triangle from Caleb's POV.  He and Hanna broke up, likely several years ago.  Hanna has a fiancé.  He is absolutely a free agent and can date whoever he wants.  Even if she still has feelings for him, too bad so sad.

When Hanna told Emily that whoever is getting her eggs is lucky, I was momentarily terrified that Shower will be incubating Emily's eggs.

I'm pretty sure Devil-A will at some point kidnap the eggs.  Or swap out Emily's syringes so she's actually injecting heroin instead of hormones. 

• Love 5

As a side note:  Blake Berris playing the campaign reporter made me sure he has nefarious purposes. For one, it's Pretty Little Liars--all men are creepy. But two, he also played Nick Fallon on Days of our Lives where he took underhanded creeper to the extreme. 

• Love 3

So there's hope that he will be eating or drinking something in the creepiest way possible very soon?

Why did the show jump ahead 5 years into the future if the girls are not going to be any more mature and make the same mistakes they made as teenagers?

But now they can drink! I swear, the real reason behind the time jump was just because the show was tired of us nitpicking that the movies, songs, phones, etc. that were shown were from the future since the show was taking place in the past.

• Love 6

But now they can drink! I swear, the real reason behind the time jump was just because the show was tired of us nitpicking that the movies, songs, phones, etc. that were shown were from the future since the show was taking place in the past.

I'm thinking it's the booze. I'm half expecting this season to be an illustration of the Liars' journey to Betty Ford with them and alcohol in almost EVERY scene. We get it, they're legal, you can stop hitting us over the head with that wine bottle any day now.

• Love 2

I'm looking at the unfortunate love triangle from Caleb's POV.  He and Hanna broke up, likely several years ago.  Hanna has a fiancé.  He is absolutely a free agent and can date whoever he wants.  Even if she still has feelings for him, too bad so sad.

"Unfortunate love triangle" is the perfect description for this travesty of a storyline.  So the only girl Caleb could possibly be interested in after he and Hanna break up just happens to be one of Hanna's good friends? This makes both Caleb and Spencer look like jerks and it seems to me that everyone involved: Hanna, Caleb, Spencer, and Toby still have lingering feelings for their first loves--not just Hanna.  After all, why does Spencer care who Toby is building a house for?

• Love 4

Am I the only one who still likes this show? Did I ask that last week too? I am way too old to like this show and watch Freeform tv.

I giggled like a schoolgirl at all of Ezra's scenes. I am loving #AngryEzra. I haven't enjoyed Ezra so much since we all thought he might be A. When Aria said he likes small women I actually did a spit take. My god this show.

Emily's donating her eggs was kind of meh in a meh way but of course it's going to end in horror and tears and lies. But it's the liars we are talking about. Pam trying to figure out what Emily was up to was sad because Pam tries.

Also going to end badly is Hanna staying in Lucus's place. Is she checking for spy cameras in the bedroom, kitchen and shower? Lucus is super shady in all the best ways.

I love Spencer and Caleb together. They are so much fun because yes Spencer does like shopping out of other people's carts. Plus they are hot together.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

I stopped watching this show only saw bits of last season and the Charlotte reveal, then I heard about Spencer/Caleb now I'm back on board. I always thought they had great chemistry and most people don't end up with their high school boyfriend. I also consider high school boyfriends a little different than boyfriends you have as an adult. Although 5 years may not be enough time, I know I wouldn't care if my friend told me she wants to date a guy I dated in my teens 10/15 years ago. Also Haleb started to bore me along time ago. I'm up something for new. Especially since Ezaria still exists. 

Why is Shower girl still around? She is not and will never be as creepy and awesome as Jenna was. Speaking of that where is Jenna? Did she fall in a hole somewhere, is she going to be on the show anymore? 

I love how this show made one of them most interesting characters on tv (Alison DiLaurentis) in the first few seasons boring AF now. That's another unwanted accomplishment this show has managed. 

Emily is pretty much genetic perfection, donating her eggs seems like a public service. However it's a lame secret. Although one that's actually more realistic than everyone else getting their dream job and making lots of money 1 year after graduating college. (To clarify I meant being broke not selling your eggs)

• Love 1

Lucas can sit at the creeper table with a bag of mozzarella sticks.

He definitely still has feelings for Hanna so if I were her I'd be afraid to stay at his place. He probably has multiple cameras in every room. For all we know, he lied about going to San Jose just so he could offer his place to Hanna. He will probably be in a motel down the street watching the livefeed. You know when he "gets back," he will be sniffing the sheets and crawling on the floor looking for stray hairs that she left behind.

• Love 4

I think they are addressing the "Love triangle" in a way that makes everyone look okay, even if there are lingering feelings. 

Hanna was mature, and told Spencer to go for it.

Spencer got permission for it.

Caleb let Spencer make the move first. 

It's also totally realistic that Spencer and Caleb would stay friends after running into each other (that part isn't realistic). They were the closest friends of the non PLLs (Yes, even including Mona/Hanna. Because Caleb was never A). 

My only hope though, and they've always handled Caleb well, is that this is resolved one of two ways. Spaleb decides they are better off as friends, and Caleb ends up with Hanna. Or we watch Hanna fall in love with someone else and she is clearly over Caleb. 

With good story tellers, I would say Caleb and Spencer won't last because we didn't watch them fall in love. They told us they had a great night, and then we watched them have a great night. (Similarly, Hanna and her Fiance won't last because we didn't see that.) But it's the PLL writers, so I won't swear too it..

And I also love that Caleb didn't ask Toby first. Caleb and Toby went fishing a few times during the summer. They don't have the same relationship the girls have. They're "high school friends who keep in touch on website page and see each other every once in a while" essentially. There's no reason to ask there, and doing so would have just made it seem like Spencer was Toby's property. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 3
And I also love that Caleb didn't ask Toby first. Caleb and Toby went fishing a few times during the summer. They don't have the same relationship the girls have. They're "high school friends who keep in touch on website page and see each other every once in a while" essentially. There's no reason to ask there, and doing so would have just made it seem like Spencer was Toby's property.

Unless we go with my Brokeback Mountain theory and (which I'm never letting go) and Toby is jealous of Spencer for stealing his man.  #TeamTaleb

• Love 6

I don't think Emily's story is lame. I have known people who blew their college funds for worse reasons then Emily had. Emily was closer to her father then her mother so I can see her go through her inheritance/college fund in a couple of years on women and booze then waking up and realizing she can't tell her mother that is what she did so she comes up with the donating her eggs thing. It has nothing to do with "genetic perfection". Emily is smart, athletic and hot which are all upsides there are a few downsides (her not being white, being gay and a history heart disease) but honestly anyone who hasn't been able to conceive and wants to might not consider all of those sticking points. I looked it up and you could make about $8,000 for donating your eggs.

Edited by Chaos Theory

Congrats to those of you who called the egg donation thing last week - I was skeptical that the writers would be so clever (last year REALLY broke my heart so now I'm super cynical about them, tho I used to love!), and I'm glad they did dodge the tragic lesbian death virus trope.

I'm surprised to hear the recapper say she doesn't think Caleb and Spencer had any chemistry and seem like a bro/sis vibe (that was in reference to Spaleb, not Haleb, right?) - I think they definitely laid the tracks for this coupling at least one season ago if not more, and I bought it. I think Spencer has chemistry with just about everybody so last seaz I couldn't decide if it was foreshadowing or just Troian B. being magnetic.

Finally, I enjoy yelling about this every once in awhile and now seems as good a time as any, given they finally circled back to Melissa and the murder confesh, but WHEN WILL ARIA EVER BE ARRESTED FOR SHANA'S DEATH?! They can't possibly be planning to pick that back up, given it's been 6 or so years since, but HOW did the RPD just drop the VERY obvious hot trail straight to Aria's squirrely doorstep? I guess because they can only manage to focus on one case at a time and the Mona "murder" came pretty soon on its heels, but ARRRRGHHHHH

• Love 3

I'm surprised to hear the recapper say she doesn't think Caleb and Spencer had any chemistry and seem like a bro/sis vibe (that was in reference to Spaleb, not Haleb, right?) - I think they definitely laid the tracks for this coupling at least one season ago if not more, and I bought it. I think Spencer has chemistry with just about everybody so last seaz I couldn't decide if it was foreshadowing or just Troian B. being magnetic.

It was referring to Hanna and her block of Australian cedar that they call a love interest.

• Love 1

Congrats to those of you who called the egg donation thing last week - I was skeptical that the writers would be so clever (last year REALLY broke my heart so now I'm super cynical about them, tho I used to love!), and I'm glad they did dodge the tragic lesbian death virus trope.

Finally, I enjoy yelling about this every once in awhile and now seems as good a time as any, given they finally circled back to Melissa and the murder confesh, but WHEN WILL ARIA EVER BE ARRESTED FOR SHANA'S DEATH?! They can't possibly be planning to pick that back up, given it's been 6 or so years since, but HOW did the RPD just drop the VERY obvious hot trail straight to Aria's squirrely doorstep? I guess because they can only manage to focus on one case at a time and the Mona "murder" came pretty soon on its heels, but ARRRRGHHHHH

I agree about Spencer and Caleb.  I think there was obvious chemistry last season when they were working together.  Not that I at all shipped them together then, but I kinda did by the time Caleb put his hand on Spencer's lower back to lead her away at the funeral.  That was a fairly direct sign that their relationship wasn't strictly platonic even if they hadn't acknowledged it yet.  

And I do think they work.  So, although I didn't need them to go there, now that they have I'm on board..  But, as I said above, now that they have gone there, I will not be cool with a Hanna and Caleb end game.  Dating someone's HS boyfriend they haven't been with in 4 years is one thing, but bouncing back and forth does no one in the situation any favors as a character or as to their individual relationships.

And YES to WTF with dropping anything about Shana's death.  Of all the fucking things for which these girls were falsely accused, the one time one of them actually shoots a person and kills her, there is ..... nothing?

It was referring to Hanna and her block of Australian cedar that they call a love interest.

I'm pretty sure it was in reference to Spencer and Caleb.  It follows Hanna's noticing Spencer's feelings.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2

Ah, sorry for my careless reading! THIS, of course, makes toooootal sense. :)

Not that I at all shipped them together, but I kinda did by the time Caleb put his hand on Spencer's lower back to lead her away at the funeral.

Agree! I was kinda like, "well, that could be interesting, pairing them, but I'm not sure I'm into it" but my end of this episode, was pretty much totally on board.

Also

Of all the fucking things for which these girls were falsely accused, the one time one of them actually shoots a person and kills her, there is ..... nothing?

Oh, the irony, right?!?! Man. That Rosewood PD gets it wrong in every possible way - arrest the girls for POSSESSION OF A SHOVEL in Season 2, let one of them get away with murder/manslaughter or whatever in Season 5. Cool. 

Edited by itainttippithebird

I'm pretty sure it was in reference to Spencer and Caleb. It follows Hanna's noticing Spencer's feelings.

I had to go back and reread, I think it was because the reviewer made the block of wood comment right after mentioning Hanna's engagement, but was inside some parentheses, so you're right. And I wholeheartedly disagree with that, Troian could have chemistry with dryer lint.

But I wonder if the reviewer has been watching that closely, they referred to Spencer and Caleb's European tryst as being in Italy. Or maybe they think that's where Madrid is?

• Love 5

But I wonder if the reviewer has been watching that closely, they referred to Spencer and Caleb's European tryst as being in Italy. Or maybe they think that's where Madrid is?

Insert Orson Welles clapping gif here. 

That recap was terrible on a number of levels. 

The last few seasons of this show should be taught in scriptwriter schools as lessons how not to develop characters. What an ungodly mess. They made me applaud Ezra for yelling at the Liars and I resent that. I really do. Five years have passed and the Liars are still jumping to conclusions at the drop of a hat and are making the exact same mistakes. They don't need freaking alibis (ignoring the fact three of them already had one). Even in Rosewood they don't (usually) arrest people on the basis of "you don't have an alibi and you have a motive" only. And dear god, why do you Lucas or anybody as your fake alibi? Just say that you drank all night long together if you need an alibi so much. Idiots.

And the Liars feeling guilty about the Sara thing is one of the stupidest plots this show has ever done and that says something.

Aria is still obsessed with Ezra's "art"... we are supposed to give a shit because?

At least I was right about the egg donor thing.

Somebody call the fashion police, they need to arrest Hanna ASAP.

Cancer (a.k.a. Spencer and Caleb's romance) is so contrived and the love scene was so cheesy. At least Spencer talked to Hanna first but come on - she had known him for years then met him randomly in Spain and suddenly fell in love with him? Is being in Spain such such an aphrodisiac? And is there a law in Hollywood than men and women can never be just friends? I wouldn't rule out Toby and Emily hooking up in season seven the way things are going.

Hanna getting together with Lucas would have all sorts of unfortunate implications.  "I thought of you as a friend, almost like a pet during highschool.  Now that you're a success and have lots of money I'm there baby."  Ugh.  Nerdy kid in highschool makes it big is such a cliche already, they really don't need to add making Hanna a golddigger on top of it.

Yes, seriously. Don't they realise how unlikable they have made Hanna look in these last few episodes?

I think Hanna will return to her old self. She was my least favorite at the start of the first season too, but then she grew into lovable Hanna.

Back in season one it was clear from the very start that Hanna was only playing the role of the bitchy popular girl from time to time but her heart was in the right place and she was actually quite smart. Now she is all "this town is so uncivilized" and yelling at people for no reason every other scene. So I don't see much resemblance to early season one Hanna.

Glad Melissa is back and still pretty sketchy. And I see she still hasn’t gotten over that time her creep of a finance made a move on her underage sister.

She is still blaming the sister rather than the creep, though. Or rather the creeps because both Ian and Wren did it.

Careful, you might jinx it and then we will be treated to a flashback of Caleb asking Toby's permission next episode. :)

So why are the Liars afraid of what Sarah might have told the cops? "Officer, I had just attempted to murder them all with a bomb and then they dared not to risk their lives to save me from my very own bomb. Those bitches deserve the electric chair!". Talk about a damning testimony, am I right?

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 4

She is still blaming the sister rather than the creep, though. Or rather the creeps because both Ian and Wren did it.

OMG, I totally meant to address this.

In some ways I know it's just part of this show's unwillingness to acknowledge the creeper epidemic in Rosewood and insistence on pretending there is nothing sketchy or even down right criminal about all of these adult men pursuing underage girls, but JESUS!  If I remember correctly, Ian's creeper thing was in flashback and predated the actual show opening at which time the girls were still only, what 15?  That means he was creeping on a 14 year old.  Likewise, Dr. Wren was hitting on a 15 year old.  

I get that there is some sister dynamic at play, but why is no body pointing out that it there is a waaaaaayyy bigger issue than the child in the situation having a thing for two of her sister's boyfriends?

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 6

I have no problem with a Spencer/Caleb relationship post time jump. It would be different if they were still in high school and Hanna and Caleb had just broken up. They are grown ups who have been apart for years (long enough for Hanna to fall in love and get engaged to someone else). I certainly could not care less if one of my friends decided to date one of my high school or college or grad school (hey, I'm old okay?) boyfriends. I really, really hope they don't try to reunite all of the high school couples. Why even have a time jump if they are going to do that? 

Dammit I wish they had just kept Cece alive and killed Sarah and her stupid gloves. We are supposed to feel bad that Sarah got injured in the process of trying to murder the Liars? WTF Marlene! This is probably the stupidest thing that the show has tried to sell us and that is saying a lot. This is nothing like the Jenna thing. 

Oh and the show brought up Melissa's video confession about Bethany?'s (I'm losing track of fake Alis) murder. That is about a thousand times more interesting than anything to do with Shower Harvey. Of all of the details left hanging from the first 5 seasons, why do they need the Sarah thing?

• Love 5

I forgot to mention one more ridiculous thing - Spencer's bright idea of Ezra confessing to murdering Charlotte because supposedly saying it was self-defence would mean he would walk. So let me get this straight - the guy is not even a real suspect yet but he should confess and everyone would be willing to believe it was self-defence with no proof whatsoever - even though later the murderer tried to make it look like a suicide and obviously didn't confess to the crime immediately. Even if by some miracle his claim that it was self-defence is believed, he would sill be guilty of  tampering with evidence, obstructing justice and so on. And don't get me started on Spencer once again whining about people stealing her "brilliant and original" murder idea from that essay. Are we sure Spencer actually studied law in college and didn't watch some crappy police procedural instead?

• Love 2

Am I the only one who still likes this show? Did I ask that last week too? I am way too old to like this show and watch Freeform tv.

Trust me, you are not. As much as I rip it apart, I do it because I still love this show. I'm rapidly approaching the higher edge of the demo for this show, but I can't get enough. 

• Love 1

No writers thought that saying "Ezra likes small women" about a guy who dated a high schooler sounded creepy? But I guess, to them, Ezra has never been the creepy creeper that I have always seen. Why change now? 

Good to see the Creepy Dolls/Masks Emporium is still doing good business. 

I am so torn on Spencer/Caleb. On the one hand, even if Hannah is getting married, its still a pretty clear girl code violation. And, something I have always appreciated about this show was how the girls never really swapped partners, like in a lot of shows. But that fireside scene? Pretty freaking hot. So torn! 

Its almost like screwing with evidence and getting people to make up alibis for you are stupid things to do in a murder investigation! Come on ladies! You keep saying "this isn't high school anymore". Now act like it!

That cover of Ring of Fire was really good. I am a sucker for an end of episode music sequence.  

• Love 1

Okay, best episode yet, possibly of the entire season although I know that isn't saying much. But things definitely clicked better this time.

Congratulations to those who called Emily selling her eggs -- I had no idea that was a thing -- and Aria writing Ezra's book. That said i'm calling bullshit she managed to write more than one chapter so quickly. From what she read out loud the first chapter sounded like shit, though, even for a draft, and Emily's expression in that scene said it all. Speaking of Emily, how much do I love the disdain that seems to ooze from Hanna, Spencer and her in regards to Fitz? On a sadder note, Aria seems to be as crazy about him as she ever was. It's sad because I think her boyfriend is really cute.

I got serious vibes between Hanna and Lucas so I predict Hanna cheats on her fiance not with Caleb but with Lucas!

How much do I loathe the actress who plays Sara? Or rather, I loathe how she plays her! The same terrible expression for three straight episodes. They might as well make a cardboard cut out of her and use it in scenes. Also the scene that revealed the Sara thing? Looked like a cartoon. I died.

The scene in Ezra's apartment was so good, I was really shocked the girls were in fact yelling at him! I loved it! That said, I could do without Ashley Benson not making Hanna sound so haughty all time time. The only time she seemed like the Hanna we know was when she confronted Emily about the injections. Now that was beautiful. I've always thought Emily and Hanna share a special bond.

Last but not least: Spaleb. Lawd, I had to pause that last scene because the tension was so thick I thought I'd have to leave the room altogether. Never has this show seen chemistry as powerful as this. Also, that last bit of them heavily making out was the first time Caleb ever looked attractive to me. Well done, show!

No writers thought that saying "Ezra likes small women" about a guy who dated a high schooler sounded creepy?

When you were together, you were a sixteen year old girl, Aria. So following your logic Ezra's type is into small girls or, you know, little girls.  Cue Emily's face of profound disgust.

I have a headcanon that Hanna, Spencer and Emily met up at some point during those five years and were like "remember when our highschool teacher used to hang out with us because he was screwing Aria and we rationalized it as a romantic thing as a defense mechanism? That was fucked up"

I still like it. I don't love it like I used to, but I definitely still look foward to watching it. And yeah I'm a couple of years older than the girls right now but I definitely feel too old for this show.

And what have they done to Hanna? She use to be my favorite character (along with Spencer) and now I kind of hate her.

Uhg, same. She can take her fugly robe and leave. It's like both Spencer and Hanna can't be awesome at the same time. I remember Hanna became my favorite during those two or three seasons Spencer begun to royally suck.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 5
So why are the Liars afraid of what Sarah might have told the cops? "Officer, I had just attempted to murder them all with a bomb and then they dared not to risk their lives to save me from my very own bomb. Those bitches deserve the electric chair!". Talk about a damning testimony, am I right?

It's like poetry.  It rhymes, each stanza rhymes with the last one.

I can see what they're going for.  Shower's hand injury parallels the Jenna Thing's blinding.  Subconsciously, the PLLs could be connecting the two, and the guilt they felt over Jenna's blinding is expressing as guilt over Shower's maiming.  But good grief, talk to a therapist -- your subconscious is making a connection that just isn't there.  Sara's injury was:

1.  Not due to any of their actions

2.  Not something any of them could prevent

3.  Entirely her own fault.

It's nothing like the Jenna Thing.  The only thing the PLLs could have done differently was beat her unconscious before she had the opportunity to grab the wires.   It was fortuitous that she did get injured, otherwise she could have rearmed the bomb and blown them all to smithereens when the Liars ran off to stop Charlotte.

While I'm ranting, another thing that bugged me:  Shower apparently told the judge that Charlotte brainwashed her so she wasn't responsible for her own part in tormenting the PLLs, including the bomb.  Really?  When?  Sara disappeared the same time as Ali, right before their sophomore year.  Charlotte didn't become A until after Mona went to Radley the summer before their senior year.  Sara was already working for Charlotte by the time of the Thornhill Lodge fire (she was one of the red coats there), which happened sometime between Halloween and Christmas.  She became brainwashed rather quickly, didn't she?  Granted, November of that year was 38 weeks long but still.  Maybe she spent the previous 2 years at a wholesale brainwashing facility, and Charlotte got her off a Craigslist ad for "Minions-R-Us'.

No judge in the world should have bought her story.  "Yeah, you injured yourself when you were trying to blow up a building.  Sorry about your hands, but you're still guilty of multiple counts of attempted murder, arson, and terrorism.  See you in 75 years or so". 

Nevermind, I forgot that the Rosewood judicial system is just as inept as the PD, medical, dental, and educational systems.  "I was attempting to derail this train carrying tons of toxic waste in the middle of town so people would be killed or possibly turned into mutants, but I failed and got a hangnail in the process!"  "You're free to go, and the state will pay for your manicurical therapy."

• Love 6

No writers thought that saying "Ezra likes small women" about a guy who dated a high schooler sounded creepy? But I guess, to them, Ezra has never been the creepy creeper that I have always seen. Why change now?

That is one of the things that makes PLL so much fun. There are some shows that are aware of how [enter term here] they are but you are never quite sure if PLL is aware of how creepy and shady some of the characters come off. It's part of what makes the show so much fun to watch.

• Love 3

I still like it. I don't love it like I used to, but I definitely still look foward to watching it. And yeah I'm a couple of years older than the girls right now but I definitely feel too old for this show.

Me too. It is ridiculous on so many levels (the guilt over Sarah Harvey's burnt little hands, Spencer's tendency to go to Worst Case Possible right off the bat, Hanna erasing the tape and making Lucas lie for her) but I still love the girls and their friendship. Or what's left of it. The time jump made one thing clear: These girls are not so close as they used to. Which is normal and actually something I find interesting to watch. But yeah, I too feel too old for show sometimes and Cece being A made me weary. I don't trust Marlene King to make any sort of real life sense anymore.

Ok: does anyone know whose "Ring of Fire" cover that was? 

That was by Lera Lynn; you can find that version here (she has several different versions on youtube, most of them live or acustic).

I have no problem with a Spencer/Caleb relationship post time jump. It would be different if they were still in high school and Hanna and Caleb had just broken up. They are grown ups who have been apart for years (long enough for Hanna to fall in love and get engaged to someone else). I certainly could not care less if one of my friends decided to date one of my high school or college or grad school (hey, I'm old okay?) boyfriends. I really, really hope they don't try to reunite all of the high school couples. Why even have a time jump if they are going to do that?

Me neither, but I'm afraid Marlene King think it's romantic or some such nonsense. Also; Spencer and Toby are on such different paths now it wouldn't make sense. If we treat their chosen career paths as we would real people's and not just plot points, they're over and done. Toby has found peace and satisfaction in Rosewood - can you guys imagine Spencer living happily ever after in that town? Without giving up everything that has defined her for the last six years?

Okay; real life story here: This summer I broke up with my boyfriend. We hadn't been together for long (about a year) and we broke it off amicably. But. Three months later I find out - from somebody else - that he's hooking up with one of my good friends; and that they started doing it five days after we broke up! The problem here is timing and the fact that neither of them had the balls to tell me. That's breaking the girl code (or common decency or whatever): had he been my ex of three years past and had she told me she had feelings for him before anything happened between them, no matter how weird I might have felt, she would have done nothing wrong. Sometimes you fall in love with someone that's not really conveniant; stuff like that happens. How you go about it is on you. In my world neither Spencer nor Caleb did anything wrong.

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 8

I can see what they're going for.  Shower's hand injury parallels the Jenna Thing's blinding.  Subconsciously, the PLLs could be connecting the two, and the guilt they felt over Jenna's blinding is expressing as guilt over Shower's maiming.  But good grief, talk to a therapist -- your subconscious is making a connection that just isn't there.  Sara's injury was:

Sara also stabbed the Liars in the back - unlike Jenna who at the time barely knew they existed. It's a completely different situation and it's mind-boggling that Emily who was hurt the most by Sara's betrayal and has been extremely rude to Jenna on so many occasions would feel any guilt for Sara's injury. Emily once even killed the guy who tried to kill her and then shrugged it off but is guilt-ridden by the Shower incident (it sounds dirty when I say it like that, by the way) five years later? No. Just no. The only way I could buy it somewhat would be if the Liars believed the brainwashing scenario and focused their hatred on what they would perceive as the real villain - Charlotte but they aren't doing that either. It's just Marlene recycling plots.

No judge in the world should have bought her story.  "Yeah, you injured yourself when you were trying to blow up a building.  Sorry about your hands, but you're still guilty of multiple counts of attempted murder, arson, and terrorism.  See you in 75 years or so".

Yes, same goes for Charlotte. In the current political climate no judge would dare release anyone convicted of terrorism so easily, let alone people who rigged a powerful bomb and tried to kill multiple people with it. One of the terrorists was a cop killer to boot. And even if some judge were dumb enough to do it, the police sure wouldn't break any sweat trying to find the terrorist's murderer. Not that the Rosewood police is known for making much of an effort in general...

Me neither, but I'm afraid Marlene King think it's romantic or some such nonsense. Also; Spencer and Toby are on such different paths now it wouldn't make sense.

Spencer/Toby hasn't been making any sense since season 3B, so what else is new?

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1

I want to know why they are so positive Sara wasn't a victim of Charlotte's. If they aren't then guilt of her being in the bunker with them and subjected to same torture they were made to inflict on each other would be much, much better than this nonsense about her hands.

• Love 1

Lucas being rich from a tech company/apps is the weirdest thing to me. He seemed to have the sort of knowledge of computers that you'd expect from someone who plays a lot of modded games on his PC, he wasn't a hacker or coder that I can recall, certainly not on the same level as Mona or Caleb. Nor did he ever seem to have the sort of personality/leadership skills that would get a bunch of skilled coders to work for him at a startup.

I'm just going to assume that he hit the powerball and and the whole tech thing is a story to make himself sound more impressive to girls.

• Love 4

Back in season one it was clear from the very start that Hanna was only playing the role of the bitchy popular girl from time to time but her heart was in the right place and she was actually quite smart. Now she is all "this town is so uncivilized" and yelling at people for no reason every other scene. So I don't see much resemblance to early season one Hanna.

The BrosWatchPLL podcast last week has some interesting commentary about this - they argue that all of the Liars have, in varied ways, kind of regressed to who they were at the beginning of S1 - Hanna as shallow, Emily as meek, etc - and that this might suggest that they are better together than apart - they helped each other grow, and without that, they're losing progress. IDK, but I enjoyed their reading of it.

And

I can see what they're going for.  Shower's hand injury parallels the Jenna Thing's blinding.  Subconsciously, the PLLs could be connecting the two, and the guilt they felt over Jenna's blinding is expressing as guilt over Shower's maiming. 

Yessssss! And I might be a jerk, but I always thought they're guilt about the Jenna Thing was outsized too, because it's not like they KNEW someone was in there and willfully hurt someone - not to mention that it was Ali's idea and execution alone, they just went along with the cover up.  Now, with the Shower Harvey Thing, it's even crazier - soooo, they feel guilty they didn't also electrocute themselves?! mmmmmmkay.

No judge in the world should have bought her story.  "Yeah, you injured yourself when you were trying to blow up a building.  Sorry about your hands, but you're still guilty of multiple counts of attempted murder, arson, and terrorism.

Giggling so hard. SORRY ABOUT YOUR HANDS, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Emily once even killed the guy who tried to kill her and then shrugged it off but is guilt-ridden by the Shower incident

Leading to the iconic PLL line - "You may have heard, I killed a guy...."

• Love 3

I always liked Spencer and Toby because they were so different. He seemed to calm her. She made him feel good about himself. However five years later they are on different wavelengths so unless Spencer's secret is that her whole big important life is a lie (which would actually not surprise me) they are no longer right for each other and Caleb is actually someone who fits her better because he gets her. Hell Caleb gets everyone.

• Love 1

Lucas being rich from a tech company/apps is the weirdest thing to me. He seemed to have the sort of knowledge of computers that you'd expect from someone who plays a lot of modded games on his PC, he wasn't a hacker or coder that I can recall, certainly not on the same level as Mona or Caleb. Nor did he ever seem to have the sort of personality/leadership skills that would get a bunch of skilled coders to work for him at a startup.

I'm just going to assume that he hit the powerball and and the whole tech thing is a story to make himself sound more impressive to girls.

Maybe he made a fortune selling surveillance equipment in Rosewood (his hobby was photography after all) and is now expanding into the very lucrative masks and dolls business.

But yes, if somebody was likely to get rich from high tech it should have been Caleb or Mona. Caleb already had some sort of company of his own in season six (remember when he hired Shower?). It's so weird to see him concentrating on Mama Hastings political campaign. Why is he back to living in Rosewood anyway?

I want to know why they are so positive Sara wasn't a victim of Charlotte's.

I believe their thought process goes something like that: "The authorities believe Sara was brainwashed. We know the authorities in our town are morons. Hence she probably wasn't brainwashed. Q.E.D.".

• Love 1

It's like poetry.  It rhymes, each stanza rhymes with the last one.

It's nothing like the Jenna Thing.  The only thing the PLLs could have done differently was beat her unconscious before she had the opportunity to grab the wires.   It was fortuitous that she did get injured, otherwise she could have rearmed the bomb and blown them all to smithereens when the Liars ran off to stop Charlotte.

I dunno, maybe I'm just sensitive to the thing because I work in an electrical engineering field, but the idea of witnessing someone get an electrical shock and not doing anything about it is big no-no.  Not only are the burns you receive from the shock likely to significantly change your quality of life (seriously, if you think the whole "burnt hands" thing is overdone then you should google some pictures of electric shock burns.... I doubt you'll be saying the same thing after that), but an electric shock is something that can be fatal if first aid is not administered promptly.  Hell, you can get a shock, feel fine, then fall over dead a couple of hours later from the effects of an electric shock - thats how critical it is to get medical treatment even for the smallest of shocks.

I get that I'm probably hyper-aware of the hazards of electricity due to my job and the first aid training I have to do for it, but if any of the liars were to feel guilty about it I certainly would see Emily as the one.  While it was definitely Sara Harvey's own fault for her injuries, there's a certain level of guilt to be had by simply walking away and doing nothing.

• Love 2

Interesting insider info, AgentDark! So, if you touched someone being electrocuted to pull them out of harm's way, would it harm you? I assumed them touching her would just make them also electrocuted (as Ali I did), but I just realized I don't quite know!

I appreciate this insight, because I had no idea about the first aid afterward part - that DOES put a different spin on things, that they went to save Charlotte over getting immediate help for Shower.

Edited by itainttippithebird

Interesting insider info, AgentDark! So, if you touched someone being electrocuted to pull them out of harm's way, would it harm you? I assumed them touching her would just make them also electrocuted (as Ali I did), but I just realized I don't quite know!

I appreciate this insight, because I had no idea about the first aid afterward part - that DOES put a different spin on things, that they went to save Charlotte over getting immediate help for Shower.

You can't touch somebody being electrically shocked, it'll get you too. You have to pull or push them away from it with something non-conductive (like wood). For example, cracking Sara in the head with a baseball bat would've done the trick. Oh wait, that was my wish list.

I used to work with a lot of electrical gear and we had to keep wooden canes in case someone got shocked. Fortunately, the only use they ever got was when we'd play stickball with rolls of masking tape.

• Love 6

It actually parallels the Jenna thing pretty well. 

They weren't the ones to throw the stink bomb into the garage. They just did nothing. 

And although they didn't owe Sara anything, to leave her there after she has been shocked would probably leave the liars with the "I did nothing" guilt again. 

Edited by mercfan3

It actually paralizes the Jenna thing pretty well. 

They weren't the ones to throw the stink bomb into the garage. They just did nothing. 

And although they didn't owe Sara anything, to leave her there after she has been shocked would probably leave the liars with the "I did nothing" guilt again.

Sara parallels Jenna, but only to a point. Jenna did nothing to deserve getting a firecracker thrown in her face. Sara was helping Charlotte terrorize people, make a bomb to kill people. I think them feeling guilty about Sara is waste of their time.

• Love 5

Lucas getting super rich off of an app is actually not all that far-fetched to me. I grew up with a kid who did exactly that after high school. He created some app and sold it for 20 million dollars and now he drives around in different color lamborghinis. He was pretty tech-savvy and stuff but I think he hired someone to help with the coding so maybe Lucas did something like that. And he wasn't an outgoing leader-type either, he was kind of awkward and unpopular in school like Lucas, but he was always good with computer stuff, so of all the ridiculously unbelievable things this show comes up with, this didn't bother me.  

While it was definitely Sara Harvey's own fault for her injuries, there's a certain level of guilt to be had by simply walking away and doing nothing.

That's the weird thing to me. Sara is making it seem like Emily should feel guilty for what happened to her hands specifically, when there was absolutely nothing Emily or the others could have done to save Sara's hands. Once she touched the wires, that was that. Emily couldn't make her let go and touching her would have only hurt Emily too.

If Sara really wants to guilt trip Emily, she should be trying to guilt her with the fact that they left her there to die...except she didn't die and it seems the only serious damage she sustained was to her hands, which again-nothing they could do about that, so while walking away from someone who has been hurt is a dubious moral decision, it doesn't seem like Sara suffered anymore as a result of them doing so... so no harm, no foul. And once again...she was going to blow them up so who cares. 

• Love 4

Lucas could just be pretending to be rich. In the film Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, they borrow a fancy car and tell everyone they invented post-its. All Lucas had to do was rent a jaguar and one fancy apartment and make up the rest for A shenanigans .

This Sara situation reminds me of General Hospital in some ways. We're supposed to feel bad or be on the side of someone who has done things far worse then what happened to them. 

The attitude coming off of Sara is unbelievable for someone who set up a bomb to kill people. Please, please, show don't make Emily forgive Sara for what she did and was about to do, I see no remorse at all from her. 

Ah, the Once Upon A Time Guide to Morality! Where the good guys must feel awful and guilty about stuff that wasn't their fault, and the villains can put on a big pity party for themselves, ignoring how many of their problems (like, say, burning your hands on your own bomb) are caused by their own crappy choices. 

• Love 6

Ah, the Once Upon A Time Guide to Morality! Where the good guys must feel awful and guilty about stuff that wasn't their fault, and the villains can put on a big pity party for themselves, ignoring how many of their problems (like, say, burning your hands on your own bomb) are caused by their own crappy choices. 

Oh my God this.  The entire town has more than enough reason to hate Regina and want her dead.  

I really like Spencer and Caleb together.  I thought they had chemistry together since their first scene where Caleb talks to her about his parents.  And they're a better match for each other than Hanna and Caleb are and they're a much better couple than Spoby.  Hanna's clearly not completely over Caleb but I think Spencer did the right thing by telling her that she wanted to go for Caleb and anyways, Hanna's engaged to the Hamptons guy with the terrible accent.  I like that PLL has never succumbed to the Gossip Girl temptation of having two of the main girls going after the same guy, but a subtle love triangle that's stuck in the background between Caleb, Hanna, and Spencer with Aussie guy as a fourth wheel could be juicy.  I like this back-half season so far, much more than the first half of season 6 but there's a couple of complaints I have.  The first is Sara fucking Harvey.  The girl playing her can't act and she throws the most painfully shady looks at the Liars all the time and it's getting annoying.  The girls shouldn't have any guilt about Sara ruining her hands, especially since she tried TO KILL THEM.  I wish she had died in the mid-season finale.  The second is how stupid the Liars are being.  WHY erase the tape that exonerates 75% of you?  For Aria, the cops don't have anything that ties her or Ezra to the crime scene.  Now the Liars have dug a deeper hole than before.  

Is it just me or do the Liars seem to be more disapproving of Ezria now than they were when they were in high school?  I think either Spencer or Hanna made a disparaging comment about how it doesn't take long for Aria to get sucked back into Ezra's orbit.  And then there was the gold comment of how "Ezra likes small women", which is so fucking creepy I think the writers must have put it there on purpose.  

• Love 7

I appreciate the point AgentDark raised but if I were in the girls shoes, especially Emily's, Sara having up until that point played them and being willing to blow them up would make it really hard to feel anything but hatred towards her. And that's not even taking in account the horribly smug expression on her face because no way I can buy an actual human being looking like that all the time. I find it hateful enough that it would kill any guilt I might have felt EVEN if I was directly involved in her accident.

I do buy Spencer questioning whether they've become hardened and being bothered by it. I wish the writers would go that route less than outright guilt.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 4

Lucas getting super rich off of an app is actually not all that far-fetched to me. I grew up with a kid who did exactly that after high school. He created some app and sold it for 20 million dollars and now he drives around in different color lamborghinis. He was pretty tech-savvy and stuff but I think he hired someone to help with the coding so maybe Lucas did something like that. And he wasn't an outgoing leader-type either, he was kind of awkward and unpopular in school like Lucas, but he was always good with computer stuff, so of all the ridiculously unbelievable things this show comes up with, this didn't bother me. 

I guess my issue is that I never got the sense that Lucas had any coding skills at all. Maybe I'm just forgetting something, but the only things I remember him doing were  selling some stuff on line and losing a bunch of money gambling on sports.

I appreciate the point AgentDark raised but if I were in the girls shoes, especially Emily's, Sara having up until that point played them and being willing to blow them up would make it really hard to feel anything but hatred towards her. And that's not even taking in account the horribly smug expression on her face because no way I can buy an actual human being looking like that all the time. I find it hateful enough that it would kill any guilt I might have felt EVEN if I was directly involved in her accident.

I do buy Spencer questioning whether they've become hardened and being bothered by it. I wish the writers would go that route less than outright guilt.

I guess that depends to some extent on whether the girls believe that Sara was always a willing participant in league with A from the beginning, and the whole kidnapping/bunker story was a work of if they believe that she really was kidnapped and tortured for years until she was brainwashed and would do anything that CeCe asked. If they believe the latter, then, on some level she's more of a victim than any of them.

Which still makes it not really the girls fault, but the fact that they ran off to save their abuser rather than at least one of them trying to go get help for their fellow victim is the sort of thing that I could see them feeling guilty over.

That's what makes good guys good and bad guys bad though. That whole..empathy and compassion and the ability to forgive people who might not deserve it verses "look what you did to me. Die asshole."