Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Back To The Game Night

• Start Topic

That was torture

Having the woman's team be completely inept when they are singing I WILL SURVIVE and saying the title and having them still not know? Followed by Cheryl singing PAPARAZZI? I mean, she was singing it stupidly, but still. I don't know how they managed to tie at the end. Was it solely because of the pillow game? Lord. And she wins. I mean, she was at least competent thankfully. 

The male's team were superstars in comparison, though they'd be crushed against any other team on any other episode. 

Surprising end choices though. Kim was a disaster at giving clues previously.

Well I take back my words. They managed to pull it out

Still torture though 

• Love 3

This was one of their least diverting episodes. Kim was heinous.

And in general I'm of the "if it happens within the rules of the game, it's fair" camp, but the guy's team losing? That was some shit. They were miles ahead, then the other team was given super-easy Department Store words, and then they had a tie-breaker using one of the worst-spelled actors' names there is. (Yes, I support the principle that a name by definition is correct if its user says so, but "boeuf" is a real thing, and Shia spells it differently.) Ugh.

I thought the female contestant was wacko to pick Lea and Kim, but I'll be -- they pulled it off.

• Love 3

Since when can you pass during "clue boom?"  Has that always been a rule?  I don't like it. I think Clue Boom should be the one game where you can't pass and if you can't get it, you must suffer the boom.

I'm surprised that they won the final round.  I do think it helped that the celebs seemed a bit more well known than in some other final rounds. 

• Love 1

Having the woman's team be completely inept when they are singing I WILL SURVIVE and saying the title and having them still not know? Followed by Cheryl singing PAPARAZZI? I mean, she was singing it stupidly, but still.

I think that was more an issue of not being able to decipher what was being sung from the distortion of the auto-tune (or Odd-O-Tune). Due to my partial deafness, I couldn't make out some of the higher pitched songs. Cheryl's Paparazzi came out of the machine operatic and Tom Keen's Staying Alive was just a bunch of squeaks to me. I'm presuming that was it. 

And in general I'm of the "if it happens within the rules of the game, it's fair" camp, but the guy's team losing? That was some shit. They were miles ahead, then the other team was given super-easy Department Store words, and then they had a tie-breaker using one of the worst-spelled actors' names there is. (Yes, I support the principle that a name by definition is correct if its user says so, but "boeuf" is a real thing, and Shia spells it differently.) Ugh.

Construction site vs department store does seem unfair. While it probably wasn't, it certainly felt rigged to keep it interesting.  I agree that is an awful tie-breaker too. Have Jane read off a song lyric or something. 

I was just annoyed by most of this show, but Kym and Lea did manage to pull it off so good for them. 

Edited by DrScottie

As annoying as Kym can be, I give her all the props in the world for just being like "they black" Fuck it. It made the clues so much easier.

I've always been the one pointing out that pretty much any of the celebrities in the last round aren't hard if you know pop culture. I didn't find this one any different. I don't know if I would have gotten Redford based on the clues though.

I could have even done Olivia Munn but passing on that was very smart. That's a easy one for people not to know.

It's rough with the last game. In reality, both of the clues are not that hard once you know the topic. But, with department store stuff, that could be literally anything bit so much with construction stuff. They both did really well so...shoulder shrug.

I also forgot to say I cracked up at Kym being like PICK HIM at Ryan. Although they won, Ryan was a no brainer. He was up on his pop culture for sure. Maybe she thought that Lea's calmness would offset Kym wild nature. It's rough one with the female team. Joe would seem out of tough and Burke has been pretty clueless.

• Love 1

I think that was more an issue of not being able to decipher what was being sung from the distortion of the auto-tune (or Odd-O-Tune). Due to my partial deafness, I couldn't make out some of the higher pitched songs. Cheryl's Paparazzi came out of the machine operatic and Tom Keen's Staying Alive was just a bunch of squeaks to me. I'm presuming that was it.

I also think there was some bad luck where a member of the team was shouting a guess/saying something right at the moment where the "singer" said the title of the song.  I am pretty sure that's what happened with Paparazzi.

It's rough with the last game. In reality, both of the clues are not that hard once you know the topic. But, with department store stuff, that could be literally anything bit so much with construction stuff. They both did really well so...shoulder shrug.

I think what made the department store category feel so much easier is that it seemed, at least to me after only one viewing, that so many of the clues were articles of clothing and so they could cover a lot of ground by pointing to a body part that would use/wear the item. Given how that team performed before, I just don't think they would have gotten as many if it were a slightly more complicated category.

• Love 2

That seems like a good change to make (even if I hated what they changed it to). I was never happy about "who won more games" -- you suddenly find out that you've retrospectively lost. I feel like I recall other game shows changing their minds on how to break ties too (naturally I can't recall an example right now); it's a tricky thing to get right in a way that feels fair.

The two people who helped the civilian win the game both ignored her when she guessed the final clue, instead dancing around the room. Sheesh. LOL.

Meanwhile, Dana Delany immediately went over and gave the civilian a hug. That was really sweet.

• Love 3

I think what made the department store category feel so much easier is that it seemed, at least to me after only one viewing, that so many of the clues were articles of clothing and so they could cover a lot of ground by pointing to a body part that would use/wear the item.

That's what I thought too. I felt like the male civilian got ripped off. 

I didn't understand the tie-breaker either, but did they only play four games this time? They did the movie title mash-up thing, Clue-Boom, Broken Microphone and the Pillow Game, and then lend a helping hand. No, that's five. And I'm pretty sure the guy's team won at least three out of five. He should have gone to the final round.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

What an excruciating game to get thru. I've never heard of Kim (Kym?) before, and she was god-awful. She better not be invited back.

I couldn't stand Cheryl either.

At first I was surprised when Debbie chose Kym to do Lend Me A Hand with Joe, but then I realized that it's best when Kym can't talk.

On the other hand, Kym did pretty good in the final round. I think that was because she knew not to fuck around. Boy, they spent too much time on Gisele whatshername... Brady. Debbie was very very good at guessing.

Peter was an excellent player too.

What an excruciating game to get thru. I've never heard of Kim (Kym?) before, and she was god-awful. She better not be invited back.

I couldn't stand Cheryl either.

At first I was surprised when Debbie chose Kym to do Lend Me A Hand with Joe, but then I realized that it's best when Kym can't talk.

On the other hand, Kym did pretty good in the final round. I think that was because she knew not to fuck around. Boy, they spent too much time on Gisele whatshername... Brady. Debbie was very very good at guessing.

Peter was an excellent player too.

Kym Whitley is an actress & comedienne. She's also the star of Raising Whitley, a reality show, airing on Oprah Winfrey's OWN Network, which premiered in 2013. The show chronicles her life as she, with the help of her friends (whom she calls "The Village"), raises the little boy--who's now, like, age 3--she unexpectedly gained custody of shortly after his birth. According to the show's premise on its Wikipedia page, the boy's birth mother was a troubled young girl Ms. Whitley had mentored for over 15 years, & she left the hospital soon after the baby's birth, leaving only him & Ms. Whitley's contact information behind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_Whitley

I like the new tiebreaker, because it puts the civilians' fates entirely in their own hands. That feels right to me. So many times we see a civilian get saddled with a noticeably weaker celebrity team - like Debbie in this episode - so I think it's good to have something be up to the civilians.

Kym was annoying, but she came through in Celebrity Name Game. I was shocked, but I guess Debbie was thinking that someone like Kym would definitely know all the pop culture...and let's face it, she didn't exactly have riches to pick from on her team. Ryan would have been a really good pick, and Lea was clearly shocked to be chosen instead of him, but I've also said in the past that I think it's smart to pick people who are likely to have the same cultural references as you, and I think that's probably what Debbie was thinking in regards to Lea, as they're both women of the same general age. I forget now exactly which clue it was, but I remember thinking during Celebrity Name Game that it was a clue Ryan probably would not have known to give, but it's what enabled Debbie to guess that particular person.

Wasn't Cheryl the one who was on last time to hawk her active wear line, only her publicist clearly hadn't told her anything at all about the show beforehand and so she showed up in a dress that was near-impossible to move around in, and she acknowledged during the show that she'd dressed wrong? She learned her lesson, all right.

Finally - I know virtually no song lyrics - I have a terrible memory for that kind of thing. And so I practically ruined my voice screaming "Let It Go!" at my TV during that game. It's so rare that I know one of the songs! But "conceal, don't feel" was all I needed.

Edited by Black Knight