Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Better Angels

Holy Crap, and we thought Dottie was dangerous.

Well, we knew Wilkes was still around, somewhat. Hopefully, he will get to work for Howard. How the hell does Howard get anything done? He's always "occupied". Although Wilkes' dilemma seems to have his attention.

Damn, do not piss Peggy off. That remark to Thompson about "Waiting for someone to pin a medal on you." cut to the bone. I do like the way they're painting Thompson in shades of grey. He's an ambitious asshole, but he has enough awareness to know when he's being played.

• Love 11

Dr Wilkes is super, super pretty, but they're rushing him and Peggy like whoa. I appreciate her guilt for ambiguously getting him blown up but mixing it with the romantic stuff is making Peggy look out of character imo.

Please tell me Peggy will get to absolutely kick the shit out of Thompson at some point. He's unbearable.

On the whole a solid episode that did a nice job building momentum from the premiere, though there wasn't nearly enough Peggy-Jarvis time. But can someone explain to me why Peggy doesn't just quit the SSR, go "work" for Howard, and do exactly what she does now? The pay would be much better and the bosses, oh so less sexist. Always, always fun to see Howard pop up! Love Peggy's relationship with him.

Jarvis' real concern for Peggy when the assassin ran away warmed the cockles of my heart.

Whitney Frost is already a better villain than the hypnotist dude from last season.

• Love 6

It's a shame this show can only afford Dominic Cooper in measured doses per season, because he's consistently a scream and has a great dynamic with Peggy and Jarvis.

This season continues to be a big step up from the first (which I thought was okay).

• Love 5

The Doc is alive!!! Yay! I'm shipping him and Peggy more than ever!

"Water giggles"?! Ok, seriously, who is the "lucky" woman that snags Howard as a husband and how does she keep him from going back to the other bimbos? I really hope she appears on this show.

• Love 3

Yay, Wilkes survived as suspected! He and Peggy have such great chemistry. Hopefully, he will be corporeal again soon.

Great having Howard around. He always brings some energy. Jarvis, not wanting to spend forever as a disembodied voice. Bwah! Nicely done show.

Frost will be a great enemy for Peggy. The woman is brilliant and now has powers that make her dangerous.

Thompson is such an ass. I am glad Daniel refused to have a drink with him. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

The Doc is alive!!! Yay! I'm shipping him and Peggy more than ever!

"Water giggles"?! Ok, seriously, who is the "lucky" woman that snags Howard as a husband and how does she keep him from going back to the other bimbos? I really hope she appears on this show.

Well douthfull it ever happens on the show, Tony Stark is late 40's early 50's if I am not mistaken which means he had to have been born in the 70's or 60's (i'm too lazy to google right now). so, yea future ms Stark will probably not be appearing on the show.

Given Tony's probable birth date it seems unlikely that Maria enters the picture for a while.

Jarvis' real concern for Peggy when the assassin ran away warmed the cockles of my heart.

Incidentally, about that scene, I like the occasional fight scene where Peggy really struggles.  Obviously she's superb, but if all she ever does is curbstomp everybody it decreases narrative tension a bit.

• Love 4

Jarvis does not want to end up being a disembodied voice? I see what you did there, show. I see what you did.

Another great episode! Its always good to have Howard around. He brings such a great energy to the show, and I love the friendship between him and Peggy. I really wish he could hang around more, but I guess his appearances are special because we do not get them very much. 

Yea, the doc is alive! So called it! I like him and Peggy together, and the fact that he is basically a science ghost adds another layer to their interactions. 

When Peggy said that no spy would leave all their spy stuff just laying around, my first thought was "No kidding. Philip and Elisabeth from The Americans would never make that kind of rookie move!" 

I like Frost as a villain. She seems a bit impulsive, but she could make a good adversary for Peggy. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

Jarvis does not want to end up being a disembodied voice? I see what you did there, show. I see what you did.

Yeah, I have to confess that I'm enjoying how meta this season is getting. "A movie based on a comic book! Preposterous!"
  • Love 12

I totally missed the Jarvis/disembodied voice joke until it was pointed out here.  Nice.

I like the idea that Whitney is manipulating the company, her husband, and the club.  Interested to see where this goes.

It's good Wilkes survived, but I agree the Wilkes/Peggy relationship is rushed.  They are both good characters but they've known each other for about three days.

I'm so glad they brought Howard back.  I rolled my eyes when he had to be reminded about Dottie.  They are really playing with the Howard Hughes influence on him this season, and I like it.

The tie pins make it clear that this council is Hydra related, or at least is related to Hydra's predecessor group.  I wonder if this is another avenue by which Hydra gets a foothold in early SHIELD.  I think Thompson is going to come out on the right side in the end.  I shouldn't be surprised that Kurtwood Smith is playing a shady character.

• Love 3

Oh Peggy.   As frustrating as it is, You DO NOT speak to a superior that way.   Not unless you have blackmail material or your going to quit.   Clearly you still want to remain employed by the SSR so muzzle that temper.  Though everything she said was true.   Thompson and Peggy continue to have some of the best and most dynamic interactions in the whole show.   Has there been a bigger television A-Hole in the last few years.   But as big a jerk as he is, I like that he's not a supervillain or even a criminal villain.    He's on the right side of the law, but he's nothing close to a hero and is actually in his way, an anti-hero.   He's not nice or compassionate and he's not motivated by doing the right thing. 

His motivation is ambition, but he's not willing to kill innocent people for it (at least not yet).   As self-centered as it is, we've seen he has a conscience.   A very good gray character.

Liked that for the most part Sousa had Peggy's back but was adamant that she needed to rope it in.   As much as he admires Peggy, he recognizes that her going at EVERYTHING like a linebacker isn't going to pay off long or short term.    He and Peggy had a nice rapport tonight and liked that he tried to get her to realize that everything Wilks did was by his choice and Peggy shouldn't feel like she did anything wrong.

Howard and Peggy are awesome.  It's a shame that history is already written in their case because they have very good chemistry as well.   And it's clear that even if it's not amorous, Howard regards Peggy as being very special.

Not a huge fan of the more fantastic villainy this season but the characters make up for it.

Great Show tonight.

"I get confused around books"

"Members are all male and pale"

Loved the quips tonight.

• Love 9

As much as Thompson is frustrating me, I'm really glad they're making a point of showing us he's not stupid.  He may be going along with the higher-ups, but he was really careful about keeping his mouth shut about having watched the test footage of the zero matter and about recognizing the headline for the paper.  It'll be interesting to see where his loyalties will lie at the end of the season.  Thompson's clearly ambitious but I don't think he's willing to be a total patsy.

On the whole a solid episode that did a nice job building momentum from the premiere, though there wasn't nearly enough Peggy-Jarvis time. But can someone explain to me why Peggy doesn't just quit the SSR, go "work" for Howard, and do exactly what she does now? The pay would be much better and the bosses, oh so less sexist. 

What work would she be doing for Howard?  At least at the current moment, Howard's not in the espionage/national security business.  She'd have even less jurisdiction to do what she does now if she wasn't working for the government in some capacity.

We don't know that he doesn't go back to those bimbos.  We know Howard gets married at some point, but who knows if he'll be a faithful husband.

• Love 2

"Jarvis isn't even white enough for that place."  That line seriously made me laugh.

Really good episode and the season is moving along nicely so far.  The new characters are working so far.

Loved Peggy burning Thompson with that "Keep quiet and pin a medal on you" line.  I like too what they're doing with Thompson, it makes him more interesting.  Always good to see Howard Stark and I like that Jarvis can at least do something in a fight.  Whitney is an intriguing villain so far.  Marvel television has done a much better job than their movie counterparts when it comes to villains, Loki aside.

Easter egg...Kid Colt was actually a Marvel Comic but debuted in August 1948, about a year after this takes place.  But I'm not exactly going to hold them to stuff like that.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 7

I like Frost as a villain. She seems a bit impulsive, but she could make a good advisory for Peggy. 

I'm pretty sure Peggy's not going to take her advice. (Yeah, I know you were probably victimized by autocorrect, but I couldn't resist.)

• Love 3

I have to say, I am actually interested in where they are taking Thompson this season. He might be a jerk, but he has his good points, has a conscientious, and is on the side of law and order. He has already seemingly figured out that Peggy was telling the truth (at least somewhat), but what will he do with that information? He is ambitious and glory seeking, but will be really get in bed with a dangerous conspiracy, and put peoples lives at risk? 

I'm pretty sure Peggy's not going to take her advice. (Yeah, I know you were probably victimized by autocorrect, but I couldn't resist.)

Damn you autocorrect! Although, if Peggy ever needs help fake crying, Whitney might give her a little free advice before engaging in supervillainy. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

Dr Wilkes is super, super pretty, but they're rushing him and Peggy like whoa. I appreciate her guilt for ambiguously getting him blown up but mixing it with the romantic stuff is making Peggy look out of character imo.

After losing Steve and mourning him for so long, and believing that she just lost another person with whom she had a connection, I think Peggy's making a very conscious decision to do things differently with Wilkes. She's nervous about it, but she's gone through too much not to grab life by the balls.

• Love 5

Oh Peggy. As frustrating as it is, You DO NOT speak to a superior that way. Not unless you have blackmail material or your going to quit.

To be fair, Peggy kind of DOES have blackmail material on Thompson, hence the barb about sweeping shit under the rug and getting a medal for it. That one was COLD, I loved it so much.
  • Love 8

To be fair, Peggy kind of DOES have blackmail material on Thompson, hence the barb about sweeping shit under the rug and getting a medal for it. That one was COLD, I loved it so much.

For a split second I thought Thompson was going to deck her for that crack. No wonder Sousa was hauling her out of there as fast as he could.

Why oh why can't we have 22 episodes of Peggy and knock S.H.I.E.L.D down to a yearly short run instead?

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 12

That last scene was scary.  At least the director didn't manage to cop a feel off of Whitney before she vaporized him.  Or dissolved.  Whichever.  Whitney can stay, she's a good villain.

I missed this show.  I laughed at Howard saying that he would have to find a new butler soon because Jarvis was so enamored with Peggy.  Between Sousa, Wilkes, and Jarvis, men are lining up for Peggy.  I wouldn't be surprised if Thompson gets in line, too.  But I can't blame them.  She's awesome.

Peggy and Jarvis are such a great team.  If they weren't such good friends and he weren't happily married, I'd be all for them hooking up.

I really like Wilkes and his potential romance with Peggy.  But I'm really curious about what will happen to him in this state. 

• Love 3

I hope Peggy gets to punch Thompson in the face at some point. Although I will take her barb at his secret he told her last season. I do like that they are showing he's not stupid, just a people pleaser to gain rewards. I do wonder what side he'll fall on in the end. 

I'm glad Dr. Wilkes isn't dead, not because I want them together just because I felt for Peggy losing someone else. I also like while Peggy is trained she's not super human. She can't kick everyone's ass all the time. I loved Jarvis helping her out. I can see why Tony made him a disembodied voice to not lose him. 

I love that the super villains on this show are women. Whitney being a genius super villain that like Dottie knows Peggy's more of threat than the all the men, because she doesn't underestimate them like the men do. 

• Love 8

Damn, do not piss Peggy off. That remark to Thompson about "Waiting for someone to pin a medal on you." cut to the bone. I do like the way they're painting Thompson in shades of grey. He's an ambitious asshole, but he has enough awareness to know when he's being played.

And the best part, is the next time we see Thompson, where Kurtwood Smith (sorry, forget the characters name) basically says "Thompson, you're doing good son. I wish I could give you a medal" right after. Brilliant.

You know, I don't watch any other of the Marvel TV spinoffs, but I love Agent Carter to death. Hayley Atwell just engages me and kills it.

And I have to say, I love Jarvis and Carter working together. They both obviously enjoy each others company. He coming to assist her after that thug tried to attack Peggy at night was awesome. Love how they look out for each other.

Knew Wilkes was still alive. Yes. Love him. Hope they can "corporalize" him. I didn't mention this last episode, but god damn, that man's look, height and voice totally reminds me of Michael Dorn (who played Worf on Star Trek TNG/DS9). I actually looked up the actor to see if it was Dorn's son (it is not).

I have to admit, Howard is a hoot. So modelled after Howard Hughes, just no where near as germophobic. Hee

Yeah, I have to confess that I'm enjoying how meta this season is getting. "A movie based on a comic book! Preposterous!"

I caught the double-meaning and loved it! And never have watched any of the Marvel/Captain America movies.

ETA: I will never NOT love how seemlessly Atwell can switch from English to American accent. Seriously, I have to look up where she really was born, because it's that good!

• Love 5

Jarvis saving "Wendy" and her confusion because of books, and then him saving her from the assassin were the highlights of the episode. Peggy burning Thompson with that ice cold barbecue was also great.

Still not feeling Wilkes and whatever they're going for with he and Peggy. I'm still shipping Peggy & Daniel. Hopefully Ana and Rose will be back next week. I guess some people had to take a week off to pay for Dominic Cooper. Worth it, but unfortunate.

• Love 2

Howard is so entertaining. I loved how Peggy, Sousa, Howard, Jarvis and Dr. Wilkes are working together. I hope they fix Dr. Wilkes and he ends up working at Stark Industries. Whitney got more interesting now that we know she's playing the general public. I loled at Jarvis not wanting to be a disembodied voice.

• Love 1

"Who's a good boy? " Hee! I was betting that she didn't give over the drink, which is why he was so cranky at the Arena Club. Then again, he was putting on a good 'insufferable millionaire asshole' cover, so, who knows for sure?  Jarvis giving the bartender shaken martini tips was fun, as was all the ladies that induced a Code Pink! *g* 

My only complaint is that when Peggy got the shadow's attention diverted, she had to leave part of her dress to smolder. Since she needed  the smoke, but not to set the club on fire, it's possible that the Club Members can get it analyzed like the SSR. That would be bad for Peggy.  Speaking of SSR, I loved Souza getting his silver screen science on! Unfortunately, he had to remind everyone that "scientific" is in the name. It was a fun moment, though.

I guess we're lucky that Booze and coffee were what Howard trusted to... help him get through stuff.

Hey, Cal? You might want to check and see if the waterworks are actually hooked up and turned on before sticking your neck out, aka setting a hit on a federal agent. While Miz Frost knows how to push her husband's buttons, she seems to underestimate the scope of his club's knowledge. Or, as others have pointed out, she's really impulsive and rarely gets told no.  Still, her absolute look of terror as the Zero Matter enveloped her director? This crap is taking a toll on her. She's not a good guy, but that has to be hellish. Especially as he seemed to actually sort of like her ( outside of trying to cop a feel or whatever).

Jack is getting a deeper character dive, which is good. I like that Daniel is still an unrepentant Peggy supporter. I just wish The Chad didn't make Jack sound Horatio Cane-ish. It's how Jack's voice hit me tonight. I don't know why; maybe because he was trying to be intimidating? I hope that Daniel gets to show off some more skills and that Violet will play into the story.

Oh! In a bid to try and "smooth things over" with Whitney, Howard sets up a tea for Whitney and Peggy, but Ana and Rose are also there! ( Rose can pretend to be one of the help?)

Whitney got more interesting now that we know she's playing the general public.

I don't think Whitney's "playing" the general public, insomuch as she's not having them think she's smart enough to understand physics. Not fighting a stereotype isn't lying.  What she is lying about is her criminal, treasonous plans and associates and how deeply she is involved.  As someone mentioned last week, Hedy Lamar, a real life movie star of the 30s and 40s, was a genius scientist. However, she was seen as merely an actress and no one really thought her science was important. That Ms. Lamar shared her findings with the U. S. was huge for the Allies.

Long way of stating that Whitney is taken seriously enough by "the right people", in her eyes. She's successful in the acting world. She doesn't feel a need to talk about her science, but then again, no one has thought to ask if she has serious interests outside of the proscribed female interests of the day. Not up to her to disabuse folks of their sexist ideals, especially as it aligns with her goals.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 3

Howard Stark, baby!  I know Dominic Cooper probably has limited time this season due to his other show (Preacher), but I'm glad they found a way to incorporate him into the story, and were able to use him early on.  Continue to love everything involving Howard and Peggy.  The chemistry between Cooper and Hayley Atwell is spectacular, and all their interactions are priceless.  I just really like that they truly respect each other underneath all the quips and banter, but at the same time, they never even hint at a romantic route, because Peggy would never be interested that way in a guy like Howard.  And Howard never even tries because he knows that.  I just find their relationship to be one of best (and most fun) things about this show: only behind Peggy/Jarvis, of course.

Speaking of which, I loved Howard wondering if might need to find a new butler, with Jarvis helping Peggy more and more.  Now, there is a triangle I can get behind: who will Jarvis pick as his best boss?!  Although, sorry, Howard.  It's Peggy.  It will always be Peggy!

Not surprised Dr. Wilkes isn't gone for good, but that was a crazy reveal.  Can't even make heads or tails of the scientific explanation of how he's there, but his corporal body isn't.  But I like how the actor is getting to interact with other characters like Howard and Jarvis now.  And I still enjoy his stuff with Peggy, even if it is kind of rushed.

Meanwhile, Whitney seems to have incorporated some kind of crazy power with that black ooze/ink.  But it seems like any time she uses it, her cut gets bigger?  I can't see her being able to hide it for long.  Interesting that she was actually the mastermind all along, but let her husband take the credit.  She is getting more and more intriguing.  Really liking the actress playing her too.

It probably wasn't the smartest play, but I did enjoy Peggy finally snapping at Jack, although I noticed she brought up Dottie "turning the tables" on him, and I'm trying to remember if she found out about that last week.  Did she?  Or does just news travel fast?  I guess I could easily see gossip reaching LA about how Big Bad Jack got taken out by Dottie.  Jack is still a dick, but he at least seems to not be a total idiot, and now is putting the pieces together.  Not surprised Kurtwood Smith's character is involved in the conspiracy too (for shame, Red!)

Daniel is better when he isn't pining for Peggy.  Also liked him interacting more with Jarvis and Howard in this episode.

I just now realized that this henchman of Whitney and her husband, is the same guy who played Reactron on Supergirl this season.  Trying to get on on comic shows, Chris Browning?

I know TV is full of beautiful people, but I seriously am finding it hard for anyone to top Hayley Atwell on this show.  She pretty much is breathtaking in every frame that she's in.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

Wait . . . that was Randy Sklar that Whitney killed? So  . . . when is his brother Jason going to avenge him?

I'm surprised to see Howard. I kept waiting for a line about him "finding religion," but it never came. He's fun as usual, horny as ever, brilliant as hell but still susceptible to Peggy's charms. She's great, as is Jarvis. The guy from New York can get killed by Dottie any time now. If he wasn't the big boss, I would've expected Sousa to shove his crutch where the sun doesn't shine.

Also surprised to see Jason back, albeit as a g-g-g-ghost. I'm hoping he and Peggy can make things work despite his condition.

• Love 1

"I speak Hollywood now."

Does Jack think that Peggy and Daniel are lying to him so that he won't even consider the possibility that they know what they're doing?

How did Howard know what direction to aim his spraying device?

"Okie" is an offensive slur word.

Yeah, I think Whitney is going to have to start wearing a mask.

Meanwhile, Whitney seems to have incorporated some kind of crazy power with that black ooze/ink.  But it seems like any time she uses it, her cut gets bigger?  I can't see her being able to hide it for long.  

I'm surprised she's been able to hide it this long, tbh.  Even if her husband doesn't see, wouldn't Whitney's makeup person or anyone else on set notice it?  I thought she would at least put a bandage over it instead of leaving it open.

It probably wasn't the smartest play, but I did enjoy Peggy finally snapping at Jack, although I noticed she brought up Dottie "turning the tables" on him, and I'm trying to remember if she found out about that last week.  Did she?  Or does just news travel fast?  I guess I could easily see gossip reaching LA about how Big Bad Jack got taken out by Dottie. 

No, they never showed us a scene of Peggy finding out about how Thompson's interrogation with Dottie went, but it wouldn't surprise me if Peggy had a source within the NY office that was keeping her up to date on the status of that case behind Thompson's back.  Maybe one of the admirers we saw at the beginning of episode one is sending her notes.

No, they never showed us a scene of Peggy finding out about how Thompson's interrogation with Dottie went, but it wouldn't surprise me if Peggy had a source within the NY office that was keeping her up to date on the status of that case behind Thompson's back.  Maybe one of the admirers we saw at the beginning of episode one is sending her notes.

But is a case with them playing fast and loose with what is possible in 1947. Long distance phone calls by Agent Carter with or without Chief Sousa's authorizing the cost? Using telegraph characters to pass gossip. As we saw from Peggy's flight west even direct mail, air expressed for a government agency would take time. Which would leave putting gossip on a SSR radio signal for all to hear

"Jarvis isn't even white enough for that place."  That line seriously made me laugh.

And that Jarvis took visible umbrage at it. As if to say, 'Excuse me, I'm plenty white!'

Atwell's dress in the Arena Club was super gorgeous, with the added benefit of blending into the carpet when she made her escape!

Wait . . . that was Randy Sklar that Whitney killed? So  . . . when is his brother Jason going to avenge him?

It was!  He was in last week's episode too. I haven't listened to Sklarbro Country the last few weeks, I've been catching up on Counties, but I didn't hear them mention he was on AC.  

I loved the line "Making movies out of a comic book!!?"  Meta and hilarious.