Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Karen Peralta

• Start Topic

On his birthday, Jake brings Amy to meet his mother, but a surprise appearance by his dad throws a wrench in his special day. Meanwhile, Rosa and Charles struggle with a new mandate regarding body cams while on a stakeout with Terry, and Gina forgets to inform the precinct about an important plan of Holt’s.

• Love 1

How am I the first to comment on this magical episode? I could watch it 100 times just to see Jake trying to hump Shelia Bogden in charades.

And Amy's Itsy Bitsy.

Terry doesn't like windchill.

Benny and the Jets.

Jake's exasperation that his dad didn't save his number..that look!

Come on people, that shit is funny.....

• Love 6

I liked the episode, but a huge meh on the parents as guest stars; they do nothing for me.  Katey Sagal has an absolute monopoly on these acting parts.  I have this perception that she shows up on every favourite show of mine playing that exact same dour person.

Holt:  Do you have any experience with puzzles?

Scully (beaming):  Yes!  I haven't solved any.

Rosa:  Boyle is completely nude on the video.

Terry:  WHHYYYYYY?

I really loved that Holt said "Booya-ka-sha" when they found all 4 keys.

I really like Hitchcock.  He makes me laugh.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Rosa:  Boyle is completely nude on the video.

Terry:  WHHYYYYYY?

Yes!  So good.  I also loved that after being caught completely nude on a body cam, Boyle continued to read the suspect his Miranda rights.

I loved Holt and Gina having to be trapped with Scully and Hitchcock.  And they shockingly prevailed!  It really could've gone either way.

Also, yay for Amy making a good impression and getting dirt on Jake.

• Love 3

Oh my god, Katey Segal as Jake's mom was PERFECT casting.

Aw at Amy working so hard to impress Jake's mom.

I laughed hard at Boyle spilling hot phở on his body cam!

Loved the subplot with Holt, Gina, Hitchcock and Boyle. Holt's love of puzzles is always fun.

Meeting Jake's mom was good (and it was certainly nice hearing Kathy Segal talk like a normal person after whatever the hell she was trying to do in The Bastard Executioner"), but I was surprised how light on the laughs the plot was, outside of Amy being Amy, and going way overboard at trying to impress her (of course, Amy would do extensive research.  She wouldn't be Amy if she didn't).  It was mainly about Jake taking another step forward about growing up and letting his mom make her own choices, even if it is getting back with Roger.  I'm not surprised he came around at the end, but I did enjoy his threat to Roger; especially because it really did sound intimating, and I never thought I'd describe Andy Samberg in that way, but I totally would fear for Roger, if he ever gets on Jake's bad side.

I think I would actually watch an entire episode of the entire cast trapped in a bunker, but Holt getting stuck with Gina, Hitchcock, and Scully was still fun.  I especially like that Holt still solved the majority of it, and most of the "help" was random luck, outside Scully knowing Morris Code.  But I thought for sure the plot was going to end with Gina magically solving things, so I'm glad they avoided that cliche.

Rosa, Boyle, and Terry's plot was all a big set-up to laugh at a naked Joe Lo Truglio and make penis jokes, but whatever.  I chuckled.

Not my favorite episode, but I can't hate on anything that include Melissa Fumero's adorably singing "Itsy, Bitsy Spider."  Then again, I think Melissa Fumero could make anything sound adorable.

• Love 3

Amy the lip reader was adorable. "I'll close my eyes." The fact that she was in the car at the time made or even funnier to me.

Also loved her taking the hot and telling Karen she was "plugged up" (or something similar) and Jake all, "TMI!" then mouthing "Thank you!"

Edited by bethy
  • Love 1

I loved Amy's unflappable cheerfulness as the Peralta family was being an utter train wreck around her. It's always better when you sing Itsy-Bitsy Spider!

I also loved tough girl Rosa's takedown of the drug dealer. I probably missed something, but did we find out just why Boyle had removed all of his clothing?

I probably missed something, but did we find out just why Boyle had removed all of his clothing?

He was cleaning up after the pho incident.

Katey Sagal was great casting, physically. I hope in future episodes we can get to know a little more about her and not just her through her relationship with Big Rog. I'm intrigued by the little tidbits we got - red wine over ice? Obsessed with Jimmy Carter, Diane Keaton, and the lesbians across the street? I might like her.

I loved that Amy kept interrupting Jake's meltdown about his dad to ask things like, "Did you really have a nose ring in high school?" and then not at all subtly taking a picture of the picture while badly pretending that she was checking her phone for messages. If you found a picture like that while visiting your boyfriend's childhood home, how could you NOT?

• Love 7

I loved the whole episode and don't really have anything new to add, but my biggest LOL moment was that awkward silence that Amy tried to diffuse by singing Itsy Bitsy Spider. It's nice that Jake has such a cool mom, she's obviously a hippy liberal type but not too far out there. I wonder if there will be any follow up with this; I'm not convinced Jake's dad has really changed.

• Love 2
I wonder if there will be any follow up with this; I'm not convinced Jake's dad has really changed.

Same here, and I actually loved that about this episode! None of us know whether he's truly changed, but Jake realizes he has to let his mom find out for herself. This show is just so much like Parks for me in that I don't find it really funny, but at its best it's just so engaging, fun, warmhearted and at times surprisingly poignant to watch. What it lacks in clever, witty humor (obviously just IMO---humor is highly subjective!), it makes up for with those little and not so little moments of emotional truth. And I'm finding Jake and Amy really adorable without being TOO overly sappy and idyllic, (as even I can admit my beloved Ben/Leslie could be once they got together on Parks!) Jake and Amy are also reminding me of the better aspects of Psych's Shawn/Juliet...and, yes, I watch too much TV :)  

I'm with Amy. Walking isn't that hard, and hoverboards are ridiculous. But the montage of Jake spilling was great.

And with "do you want me to quiz you?" we get yet another glimpse into the tantalising private life of Jake and Amy. Lucky this show isn't on HBO, because they'd have the weirdest sex scenes. Hot, but weird. Loved that she was doing that much research on Jake's mother. But then, of course she'd do that much research. She's Amy. I just adore how neurotic and desperate to please she is. To the extent that she'll sing Itsy Bitsy Spider to her boyfriend's parents in an attempt to stop things getting awkward.

Her excitement about getting a look into Jake's childhood was sweet. And their relationship continues to be very well written and acted. Nothing too dramatic, nothing too saccharine. But could we please meet Amy's family soon?

Bradley Whitford is so good at playing a slimy douchebag. Even as Josh Lyman, he had douchey qualities, but here it's all turned up to twelve.

The bodycam storyline could have been close to the bone, given that they've been in the news recently as potential reasons for cops not shooting unarmed people. Charles trying to act more macho and badass to impress people who might watch it didn't really work for me. But then they just turned it into Rosa seeing Charles naked, and accidentally catching it on film. Boyle taking all his clothes off to go to the toilet is weird, but believable.

Poor Holt, being stuck with the three least likeable, least useful members of his team in an escape game. At least Scully was able to be useful. The only bit I really liked was Holt's last line, when Hitchcock asked if they should do it again next week. "No. I would hate that."

• Love 5

Jake and Amy as a couple really are so much better than Jake and Amy with just unresolved sexual tension. Everytime writers try to decide what to do with characters who might become a couple, they should ask themselves "can I tell better stories with them together, or apart?". As it turns out, there are tons of great stories to be told with Jake/Amy. Kudos to the writers for making their relationship work so well. Now, when do we meet Amys family? 

I still am not fully convinced that Jakes dad has really changed, but I would like to see more of Bradley Whitford. He just plays charming but sleezy so well.

Andy Samberg really has come a long way as an actor on this show. The scene where he threatens his dad was actually pretty intimidating. Who knew? It makes me want to see him in a straight up drama one day. I think he could pull it off.

Amy awkwardly singing itsy bisty spider better be giffed all over the place.  

• Love 11

I cannot wait to meet Amy's family. She has a lot of brothers, right?

I agree on how well Andy Samberg does with the drama. I thought even his reaction to his dad coming in the door at his mom's was well done. Not over the top, but serious anger/hurt/dismay. And I loved that Amy looked every bit as stunned by his dad's entrance as Jake did.

• Love 3

I'm glad they didn't do the typical "annoying potential mother-in-law" trope, a la The Mindy Project. Jake's mom was totally awesome, and she and Amy got along great (in no small part due to Amy's flawless preparation). I was actually kind of impressed that Jake's mom had "an entire cabinet devoted to that." She sounds hella useful.

• Love 5

Boyle taking all his clothes off to go to the toilet is weird, but believable.

He took off all his clothes to clean up (and dry, using the wall dryer) the spill on his uniform. That I found thoroughly believable.

• Love 2

He took off all his clothes to clean up (and dry, using the wall dryer) the spill on his uniform. That I found thoroughly believable.

Ah, I missed that bit. Still, I'm going to continue believing that he strips naked to go to the toilet.

I'm with Amy. Walking isn't that hard, and hoverboards are ridiculous. But the montage of Jake spilling was great.

And of course Jake would eagerly want to use a hoverboard. I loved how that moment suited both of their personalities while still being topical and fun.

Nice to have Jake and Amy together in another plot. It really felt like the show was keeping them apart for a while to avoid going overboard on the relationship, but the reason the relationship works is because they bounce off each other so well.

• Love 5

Lots of good stuff in this ep. Terry screaming, "WHY!?!!!!!!???!???!!!!" at Boyle was fantastic.

Loved Amy going so far as to get Jake's Mom's dental records and credit rating. 

I think that standout in this ep for me was Andy Samberg. He was so great trying to deal with his mom and dad being back together, then trying to get his dad to leave. The charades with him doing the thrusting was hilarious. Loved Roger's guess of The Fast and the Furious, because that fit perfectly what Jake was doing.

• Love 5

Aw at Amy working so hard to impress Jake's mom.

I laughed hard at Boyle spilling hot phở on his body cam!

Loved the subplot with Holt, Gina, Hitchcock and Boyle. Holt's love of puzzles is always fun.

I thought Bradley Whitford and Katey Segal were a couple IRL, but now I just realized it was the Malcolm in the Middle mom, not Katey Segal...I tend to get them confused for some reason.

The bodycam storyline could have been close to the bone, given that they've been in the news recently as potential reasons for cops not shooting unarmed people. Charles trying to act more macho and badass to impress people who might watch it didn't really work for me. But then they just turned it into Rosa seeing Charles naked, and accidentally catching it on film.

Once again, B99 took a NYPD real life hot button (like Holt's Danceoff) and made it its own. I thought, when Rosa took off after the perp, this would be where the bodycam issue would end up, as Not Ending Well. Well, it did, but a naked Charles being the worst thing is a pleasure.

Aside from Scully (noted above), Holt solved the room puzzle on its own. I wish they would remember that Scully & Hitchcock are actually good detectives; just lazy and obnoxious.

If they ever need show filler, have Amy sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider".

I really enjoyed this episode but it had almost too much going on.  Of course, plots A (Jake & Amy) and B (Terry, Charles, & Rosa) were necessary to facilitate plot C (Holt, Gina, Scully, & Hitchcock) - as why else would the whole team bail on an even with their boss but for the serious things they already had planned - but I think it would have been very fun to spend more time with Plot C.

And, although I hate to nitpick, why would Charles take off his underwear?  I guess he was trying to dry them under the hand dryer??  But the spill was mostly on his torso... I get that it was in service of the joke but it sort of upsets me to have Boyle's humiliation on record like that.

Edited by dusang

And, although I hate to nitpick, why would Charles take off his underwear?  I guess he was trying to dry them under the hand dryer??  But the spill was mostly on his torso... I get that it was in service of the joke but it sort of upsets me to have Boyle's humiliation on record like that.

He did spill it sort of...directly on the cam and vest, but, gravitywise, makes sense it'd end up in his lap too. So it didn't bug me so much to think that his pants and underwear could've both been soaked. I'm also guessing part of the naked-reasoning was not only to dry the clothing under the hand dryer, but also maybe rinse it first? I agree it's totally excessive to stand there naked. And really the whole thing is totally gross to me anyway because there isn't exactly a clean spot to put down each item of clothing as you rinse/dry it in a public bathroom. But since without too much thought I can come up with reasons, even though this is something I would never ever ever ever remotely think of doing, it doesn't bug me that he did.

As someone who will freely admit that he bagged on Amy's portrayal for the past few episodes this one hit her right on the mark. It was the right blend of her character, and I think keeping her wholly separate from Holt helped. Melissa Fumero works magic when Amy is able to blend some confidence in being an Adult surrounded by Children, with the neurosis of how quickly she can revert to being a child when there's a perceived authority figure present.

I agree it's totally excessive to stand there naked. And really the whole thing is totally gross to me anyway because there isn't exactly a clean spot to put down each item of clothing as you rinse/dry it in a public bathroom.

One ameliorating factor (depending on one's individual point of view, I realize) is that although this was a public bathroom, it was the one-person-at-a-time type, where you lock the door behind yourself. (Hence the need to bust the door open, and Boyle's comfort with stripping.) In my experience, in a decent establishment those will be kept cleaner than a typical multi-user public bathroom. But then I may be a slob by other peoples' standards....

• Love 1

And with "do you want me to quiz you?" we get yet another glimpse into the tantalising private life of Jake and Amy. 

It was the the "This is going to make you horny" that cam before that really sold the line.  Of course being quizzed would Amy all tingly!

it sort of upsets me to have Boyle's humiliation on record like that.

The thing that made this work is that Boyle wasn't in the least humiliated.  "Benny and  the Jets!"  LOL  It was Terry who was cringing when they brought out the Gigantor HDTV!

• Love 1

I loved Holt and Gina having to be trapped with Scully and Hitchcock.  And they shockingly prevailed!  It really could've gone either way.

I remember one of the episodes (last season?) made the point that Scully and Hitchcock really were good detectives, but they just choose not to be because they're so close to retirement.  I wish we saw this a little bit more, but it was still a good storyline.

• Love 1
On 2/3/2016 at 3:21 AM, VCRTracking said:

Sometimes I forget just how damn good Katey Sagal is. How is that possible? LOVE her as Jake's mom. Her delivery of the line "You've been protecting me since you were a kid" felt completely real and natural, and being so, became the linchpin of the episode.

Bradley Whitford ("Is that a big number? All my friends are pilots.") -- also a total pro.

• Love 2