Type keyword(s) to search

Beachfront Bargain Hunt - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Is this where Beachfront Reno goes?  I hope so.

They're rerunning (there's a marathon on DIY network today),  the Crystal Beach, Texas episode.   The couple bought this place at auction, couldn't even see inside.     Their $60k budget is either super low, or their lying about what i actually will cost.   The house is a mess, with water damage and mold everywhere.    Has anyone on this show ever heard of eye protection?  Apparently not.    I have to laugh when the buyers say how much they'll use the vacation place at the beach.    You know they're going to rent it out all of the time,   They went way over budget.  

This must be one of the original ones, because the kitchen cabinets are very dark, and that's not the trend now.   The date on the episode says 2016, so I guess it was filmed in 2015?    Either way, the cabinets are really dark compared to the trend now.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

A rerun popped up on my DVR. Panama Beach, FL. A husband and wife with 4 kids end up buying a 1BR, 2 BATH beachfront condo. One bedroom? How is that possible? It had a nook for bunk beds which I guess they could make do with and a pullout couch. The couple was sold on the view and the master bedroom. They ended up paying $299,000.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

A rerun popped up on my DVR. Panama Beach, FL. A husband and wife with 4 kids end up buying a 1BR, 2 BATH beachfront condo. One bedroom? How is that possible? It had a nook for bunk beds which I guess they could make do with and a pullout couch. The couple was sold on the view and the master bedroom. They ended up paying $299,000.

I think sometimes they just have to weigh space versus view.  Depending on how often they will use it, if just occasionally it might be worth less space for a beach house feel.  I think sometimes not having a view defeats the purpose for some.  Just a guess.  It would be tight quarters for sure though!

• Love 1
Just now, alexa said:

I think sometimes they just have to weigh space versus view.  Depending on how often they will use it, if just occasionally it might be worth less space for a beach house feel.  I think sometimes not having a view defeats the purpose for some.  Just a guess.  It would be tight quarters for sure though!

Their saving grace was that they had 2 boys and 2 girls. That might help. It also had a lot of indoor/outdoor pools. Like you said, you have to weigh your options and wants. I always think of a one or two bedroom condo for a single person and or a couple. After that, you need 3. You also need more money, too. LOL!!!!

• Love 4

It would have been in Panama City Beach, not Panama City.  300K is not a bad price for beachfront with a view here.  And that layout is not for a family of six to live in.  It is for six people to vacation in.  Its primary usage and way to pay for itself is as a short-term rental.

Also, these shows usually lies about the price as well as everything else.

• Love 2

When people like the couple with four kids buy a 1 bedroom, and keep asking about rental options, you know it's for rental, and they'll never even stay there.    That's also why they go for a place with lots of amenities, allows short term rentals, and often have a rental property manager on site.  I wish they would be honest, say they're just buying an investment property, and quit the charade that they're going to live there. 

• Love 5

I get such a kick out of the ones who are doing a 'family place at the beach' and keep talking about how many people it will sleep, and all of the sofas are sleeper sofas, etc., bunk beds everywhere.    There is an older episode where the people are getting a place at the beach, and they don't live that far away.   It's on the Maryland shore, and they don't live too far inland.  

Everything they put into it is 'beachy', and I'm sure is aimed at the rental market, and I'm guessing after the filming they never even visit.  I wish they would just say they're buying an investment property, and show how they're trying to appeal to the vacation rental market.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Okay, so I'm watching Beachfront Bargain Hunt and the current episode is in Miami Beach.

This is my first time watching since the tragedy in Surfside.

I just hope there are no episodes with people looking at condos in Champlain South.

Alabama Coastal Islands - 8/21:  Did the buyer's father (who supposedly was a contractor) actually use mirror mastic to set the white wall tile in the bathroom?? Any decent contractor would know the difference, so I question her father's skills. At the end, during the reveal, you could still see black marks/stain all over the white tile.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Renovation in Brigantine, NJ. Cabinets that are in place fall apart as they are being taken down to be painted (?). Probably planned for story line. Anyway, a trillion white (of course) cabinets installed. My question, why do people want or need so many cabinets in a weekend house? Then, even though this and other issues have supposedly been a blow to their budget, they still install pavers over most of the, admittedly small, backyard, an expense that could have waited.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

My question, why do people want or need so many cabinets in a weekend house? 

With budget issues, I'm surprised they didn't install "floating shelves" to store all their dust collectors.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, deirdra said:

With budget issues, I'm surprised they didn't install "floating shelves" to store all their dust collectors.

I was actually thinking that open shelves would be a good idea for a weekend home where you would think kitchenware would be minimal. Some brightly colored dishes would add some interest to that all white kitchen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

In the short term or vacation rentals, like on Vacation House Rules, they said they use open shelves for that kitchen, with the necessary dishes out where people can find them easily, instead of having to hunt through cabinets to find them.   I suspect a lot of the open shelving kitchens we see on beach buyer shows are for the renters, because the property is only for investment and renting.    I bet the only time the family is in the vacation home is for the filming.     

I think a lot of open shelving in regular kitchens on reno shows is because they ran out of money for upper cabinets, or because people don't realize what dust catchers they'll be.

• Love 3

The Magnolia Network, formerly DIY, has a new episode of this tonight (Friday the 7th).   They have an episode of some people from my town (Dothan), buying and renovating a home in Panama City Beach. 

With the shipping and inventory delays, I bet we'll be seeing a lot of unfinished projects, while the home buyers (or in this case investors) are waiting for materials to arrive.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 1/7/2022 at 8:25 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Magnolia Network, formerly DIY, has a new episode of this tonight (Friday the 7th).   They have an episode of some people from my town (Dothan), buying and renovating a home in Panama City Beach. 

I liked the makeover, but they didn't hide too much the fact it was going to be a rental.  The twin beds in the kids room were two fancy for kids that age.  Also it looked like all the fencing at the entrance hadn't been put up yet.

• Useful 2
(edited)

On HGTV they're having a new episode, Renters Become Buyers In Ocean CIty, Maryland'.  I wonder if it ran on Magnolia network already?   

The buyers are from Philadelphia.    The want to buy an affordable property overlooking the bay, with a boat dock for a boat they don't even have.     This just screams investment and rental property to me.        I had to laugh at the wife saying one of her first dates with the husband was going to Ocean City with the future husband.     Does anyone live full time in Ocean City?   Everyone I knew that had a house or condo there rented them out, except for the little time they were allowed to use it for family or their own holiday.    I love the wife is desperate to pay $450k for a condo, and a deeded boat slip, and whines about having to replace the kitchen appliances. 

Scott McGillivray on Vacation House Rules said that open shelves make sense in short term rental kitchens, with everyday dishes, coffee cups, etc. out where visitors can find them quickly.     I bet that the Ocean City was only a rental, and that it will rent a week at a time, and they'll have a cleaning service between renters.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Does anyone live full time in Ocean City? 

Yes. Years ago, I met a detective in the police department. He said as a kid he'd go up to the bridge that left Ocean City and wonder what was on the other side. 😅

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 9/6/2021 at 6:58 PM, Dehumidifier said:

I was actually thinking that open shelves would be a good idea for a weekend home where you would think kitchenware would be minimal. 

But if it is vacant for a couple of weeks everything gets covered with dust. Cooking aerosolizes oil/fat, covering everything in the room and then the dust sticks to it.  Give me drawers and cabinets every day. Rentals could have dishes visible in a cabinet w/glass front.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

HGTV "Cruising for a Gulf Shores Getaway" a new episode, at least to HGTV.   Some show up on FYI first, and then show up on HGTV.   

They are looking at a condo, with a pink kitchen sink and faucet, a greenery wall, with a little neon sign too.   I have to admit I never saw a pink sink.   

• Love 1
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

HGTV "Cruising for a Gulf Shores Getaway" a new episode, at least to HGTV.   Some show up on FYI first, and then show up on HGTV.   

They are looking at a condo, with a pink kitchen sink and faucet, a greenery wall, with a little neon sign too.   I have to admit I never saw a pink sink.   

That condo was really fun!  Loved the unique design…

• Love 3
4 hours ago, alexa said:

That condo was really fun!  Loved the unique design…

I thought it was over the top. That living room wallpaper was seizure -inducing.

Another 2 bedroom condo for a family with a son and daughter.  As they get older they are going to need some privacy.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

My guess is that it's only an investment property.   That's why the house shoppers always ask about rental income, if they can do short-term rentals, and if the condo has a property management service.     I suspect that the only time that place is used by the buyers is when they're filmed, and after that the condo is always rented out.    

• Love 1
23 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Another 2 bedroom condo for a family with a son and daughter.  As they get older they are going to need some privacy.  

At a holiday property? Nah, suck it up kids. One has a penis one has a vulva, just accept it and move on. 

• Applause 1

I liked the couple and the house on last night's episode. They used some color. Maybe it's coming back.🙏

Except for the big B E A C H   H O U S E on the wall.

Wished the wife had helped the "general contractor" out a bit by painting the entire kids room.

Was it on Sunday night? I watched the recording this morning. 

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Love 1
On 7/26/2022 at 11:50 AM, Grrarrggh said:

At a holiday property? Nah, suck it up kids. One has a penis one has a vulva, just accept it and move on. 

Disagree.  They're going to need privacy.  (And I shared a bedroom fulltime with my brother until I was 10 and he was 15, so I know what I'm talking about.)

Nice Long Island couple on a repeat showing at 9 last night. Unusual episode because the small property they bought was very close to their actual home and I think going to be used just as their short weekend retreat.

I've been into this show lately because i like the aspect that so many of the buyers do a lot of the work themselves.

• Love 1

Will wonders never cease? Three PM show -- HGTV actually showed people removing a toilet properly -- emptying the water thoroughly and taking it out in parts. Usually they show a complete wet dripping toilet being wrestled into a plastic bag and dragged across the floor.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

So, on the HGTV marathon this morning, a couple and their adorable kids are hunting in "Looking for a Beachfront Legacy in Gulf Shores", from 2020 in Gulf Shores.   They look at a place that's about a block back from the beach, and has an empty lot next door, and another one between the home, and the highway, and then the condos that are right on the beach.   

The husband and realtor discuss if someone will build.    I'm sure that's scripted, and I'm guessing the one next to the other condos and highway that a huge lot, will be another giant condo.   They won't have a view then, and if it's like most of the beachfront episodes, it's a rental investment, not a vacation home, and the rental potential will go way down. 

I like the stand alone 4 condo villa, but four homes sharing a pool?  That's going to be expensive.   And who is going to monitor pool use so the renters, and owners can actually use the pool, and not a bunch of fence jumpers?   (I live in a community where we actually drained and got rid of the pool, after massive amounts of vandalism, interlopers having huge all night parties, etc.)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
(edited)

You can look on Zillow or Redfin, and sometimes they have the real sales history.  I think almost all are actually investment properties, especially obvious when they buy a one bedroom, and have a few kids too.  Or when the house hunters keep asking about how many people they can cram into the unit, and the property management programs available.   That's another reason the house hunters don't flinch about high HOAs, because it includes amenities, and usually all of the utilities.   

The amenities mean you get higher occupancy, and higher rates for rental too.   I have to laugh when a realtor says "30 days rental only" or no rental program, and the house hunter eliminates that property first. 

Some places on the Alabama Gulf coast are all rentals, so they don't even have residents there, just short term renters all spring and summer, and  then in the fall until February or March they're  full of snow birds.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1