Type keyword(s) to search

Beachfront Bargain Hunt - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Beachfront Bargain Hunt Renovation in Brigantine, NJ. The husband looked visibly upset with the bitchy wife. She wanted everything her way. In the end the house looked great. They went $10,000 over budget due to the cabinets falling apart during the renovation (wife.was.not.happy.at.all.about.that) and, some duct work that was needed. Once again, the wife was kind of nasty to the husband. Usually, this show has happy couples but this was a little tense here and there.

Edited by ByaNose

I saw the most awkward father & son on Beachfront Bargain Hunt. A father & his teenage son looking for a condo in Wildwood NJ. They were looking at one bedroom condos with their budget of $200,000. WTF? A one bedroom condo?!?!? And, I mean these were tiny, tiny condos. They did see a 2 bedroom with one bath but finally chose a 1 br/1 bath for $175,000 that was unfurnished. It was one of the bigger 1 bedrooms though but still.......

• Love 3

Wildwood, NJ, he wasn't a teenager (although he definitely looked young).  They were both CPAs in Philly and looking for a condo they could enjoy after tax season.  

They ended up with the unfurnished one bedroom with the ocean views.  In the other options, they were checking to see if there was a sofa bed.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Wildwood, NJ, he wasn't a teenager (although he definitely looked young).  They were both CPAs in Philly and looking for a condo they could enjoy after tax season.  

They ended up with the unfurnished one bedroom with the ocean views.  In the other options, they were checking to see if there was a sofa bed.  

They were father and son, right? Or did I mishear that part. I can't recall. Although, I did hear the CPA part.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The guys in Wildwood were father and son. What's wrong with a father and son sharing a bedroom? It did look like they were thinking of a sleeper sofa in the furnished places.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it per se. I just think it's dumb when anyone other then a single or married couple look for a one bedroom place. Where they heck is anyone else going to sleep? What about all the friends and family they are always talking about when they visit going to sleep. It doesn't make sense to me. That said, I think the father and son seemed like nice people and were happy with their purchase.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Wondering how many of the beachfront houses we've seen in the Galveston area will still be there - now Harvey is Cat 4.

Harvey  is not  going in at Galveston , it is hitting  about 200 miles  south  of that . Rockport  will have major  damage , and they say the eye may come back and hit Rockport  again. I cannot seem to find what will happen  in Galveston . I live just north  of Houston  and have a stupid  brother  who as decided  to ride out the storm  in his sale boat  with his girlfriend . They  are a few miles from Galveston . 

crazycatlady58, the Weather Channel has a reporter in Galveston so you can see what's going on there.  I haven't checked this morning, but last night he said they had had about three inches of rain already and were expecting more.  The concern is that Harvey will reverse course and go back towards the coast and move very slowly northeast towards Louisiana, which brings the Houston/Galveston area back into the center of the storm.

13 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Harvey  is not  going in at Galveston , it is hitting  about 200 miles  south  of that . Rockport  will have major  damage , and they say the eye may come back and hit Rockport  again. I cannot seem to find what will happen  in Galveston . I live just north  of Houston  and have a stupid  brother  who as decided  to ride out the storm  in his sale boat  with his girlfriend . They  are a few miles from Galveston . 

OMG!  Please update us on your brother!  

I watch this show occasionally and today was watching an episode featuring beach house buyers in Avon, NC.  I could barely believe my eyes when I noticed that ALL of the houses they toured had the SAME HAND TOWEL in the master bath!  I'm not kidding. Same color and geometric design.  Similar to the one on this link:

https://www.wayfair.com/Dena-Home-Tangiers-Hand-Towel-DENA1064.html

These were all different houses for sale and none of them seemed to be coordinated.  The only thing that I could figure is that the realtor carried the same hand towel from house to house and hung it in the master bath before filming.  lol  I mean......that's just too coincidental otherwise, right?

• Love 5

Kitty Hawk - the Dustin Hoffman looking guy ... they seem like a nice family but I couldn't deal with that guy for more than 5 minutes.  Something about the way he spoke annoyed me to no end.  

The strangest thing about the Wildwood, NJ episode - they never showed the condo after they supposedly moved in. They had the "4 months later" chyron, talked about how they negotiated a lower price since the place was unfurnished, and then . . . had a bunch of scenes of the father and son dragging chairs out to the beach, jumping into the ocean, etc. Not a single peek at the inside. The son had a throwaway line about "we don't spend much time at the condo, but we're out here on the beach a lot."  I wonder if they never actually moved in, or if the whole thing was just a sponsored ad for the Wildwood boardwalk!

I've noticed that they don't always show inside the new beach place too.   The same thing happened on the single lady from SC who bought a beach condo in Mississippi.  The followup showed her and her friend by the pool, but, nothing of the condo.  I thought it odd.  It really makes me question how much of these shows are re-enacted or just plain made up. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, sskrill said:

Kitty Hawk - the Dustin Hoffman looking guy ... they seem like a nice family but I couldn't deal with that guy for more than 5 minutes.  Something about the way he spoke annoyed me to no end.  

I kept thinking he sounded like Mr. Rogers (as in "it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood").

1 hour ago, sistersledge said:

I would guess that they rent it out and couldn't get access when production wanted to film.

That makes sense, but, this SC lady had said she was moving there  full time, since she worked on the road a lot and could live anywhere she wanted. 

I feel I have to get this off my chest.  I was stupid enough to watch for a THIRD time the yutzes who saw an octagonal or round house, I think in the Pacific Northwest.  If the goober husband asked one more time how much they could rent out their second family home per night for.....

At least try to follow the script and pretend that this is not a family vacation home, but an income property.  I don't know why it bugs me, but it does. 

• Love 1

It doesn't bug me in real life, but for whatever reason "we are looking to be absentee landlords for an investment property" makes for a less interesting show.  I feel the same was about HH International - yes, I know it is all fake, but I still find the ones where they are at least PRETENDING to pull up all their stakes and move to a foreign country more compelling than the ones where they are clearly just living there for a short-term assignment, or buying up real estate for investment purposes.

Plus, half the enjoyment of the show is seeing the property after they've moved in - what they've done to the place, how they have personalized it.  I am so used to the formula that the show seems incomplete without the crucial third act!

• Love 3

I guess Beachfront/Lakeside: Renting isn't an exciting title. LOL!!! Personally, I just assume that most of these houses are rental properties since they even say that they come down once or twice a month. Either it's sitting empty or that sucker is being rented. Also, I'm not a lake person but I do enjoy seeing the houses although they tend to look more alike then all of the real estate shows.

• Love 2

I think folks who live a few hours drive away use the homes on a regular basis. I've heard folks in those situations say they come almost every weekend. Occasionally you have someone buying it as their permanent residence. I like the beachfront show the best because we have toyed with the idea of buying a place on the Gulf coast to be closer to family that live in New Orleans and St. Petersburg. We would be snowbirds that rented in the summer.

I just watched the latest Beachfront Bargain Renovation in Hampton, VA, and I almost turned it off when the wife decided to waste all kinds of time and money to paint the exterior brick on the entire house all white, and take down the stucco on the top to replace it with white siding.  There was nothing wrong with either the brick except it wasn't white, nor was there anything wrong with the stucco, except it didn't "feel coastal." Congrats, lady, you now have an ugly white elephant and a lifetime of repainting that brick over and over. 

I knew I would hate her when she toured one of the houses they didn't buy and she wanted to rip out the large, beautiful screened porch for no reason since there was plenty of outdoor space and unscreened deck space.   I felt some satisfaction that her master bath re-do left her with a small, narrow, awkwardly shaped shower.  She should have given more thought to that layout instead of to painting the exterior of the house, so I'm happy she'll be bumping her elbows every time she washes her hair.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, izabella said:

I just watched the latest Beachfront Bargain Renovation in Hampton, VA, and I almost turned it off when the wife decided to waste all kinds of time and money to paint the exterior brick on the entire house all white, and take down the stucco on the top to replace it with white siding.  There was nothing wrong with either the brick except it wasn't white, nor was there anything wrong with the stucco, except it didn't "feel coastal." Congrats, lady, you now have an ugly white elephant and a lifetime of repainting that brick over and over. 

I knew I would hate her when she toured one of the houses they didn't buy and she wanted to rip out the large, beautiful screened porch for no reason since there was plenty of outdoor space and unscreened deck space.   I felt some satisfaction that her master bath re-do left her with a small, narrow, awkwardly shaped shower.  She should have given more thought to that layout instead of to painting the exterior of the house, so I'm happy she'll be bumping her elbows every time she washes her hair.

I remember thinking, "Lady, screened in porches exist for a reason - so the mosquitoes won't carry you away!"

• Love 6

Looking side-eyed at the couple tonight buying in Orange Beach, AL, live in Foley, AL - about 15-20 miles away. At the end they said they only went there once or twice a year before buying the condo. Really?? That's a "let's go to the beach for the afternoon" kind of drive. I smell investment property.

• Love 3

Not only did Hampton lady paint the brick on the house, she painted the brick porch floor.  That will look like hell in short order.  Besides the dirt that will lodge in every crevice, the paint will wear off with a quickness. 

The house they bought was the one with three walls of windows in the master bedroom, right?  I would hate that.  I think I would find a way to build on and use that room as a living area.  But then again, I don't get the desire to have a view from the bedroom.  How much time do you spend in there gazing out the window?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

The house they bought was the one with three walls of windows in the master bedroom, right?  I would hate that.  I think I would find a way to build on and use that room as a living area.  But then again, I don't get the desire to have a view from the bedroom.  How much time do you spend in there gazing out the window?

Yes, that was the house they bought.  Unless they have serious blackout curtains, that room would be tough for me to sleep in.  Those windows were gorgeous floor to ceiling with a great view, but it would be too much light for me in the morning.  It also would have been so exposed during the day - everyone could see in, so it's not like the bedroom would be a private retreat with a view.  I'd want to fill it with plants, and maybe a row of tall, potted palms on the patio outside to give the bedroom a little privacy.

• Love 1

There are lots of ways to manage a wall of windows. My sun room plus my bedroom and guest room have huge windows because I am on a bluff over a lake.  There are shades of varying densities, curtains, drapes.  You can easily manage seeing and seeing out.

I have a million dollar view and would hate to cover it up at all.  My guests love it because I have a motorized shade that they can close with a remote control if it's too light for them or the moon is too bright.  While I don't spend hours a day in the bedroom, it's a wonderful place to fall asleep seeing the moon and stars and a wonderful way to awaken in the morning to a gorgeous sunrise.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

There are lots of ways to manage a wall of windows. My sun room plus my bedroom and guest room have huge windows because I am on a bluff over a lake.  There are shades of varying densities, curtains, drapes.  You can easily manage seeing and seeing out.

I have a million dollar view and would hate to cover it up at all.  My guests love it because I have a motorized shade that they can close with a remote control if it's too light for them or the moon is too bright.  While I don't spend hours a day in the bedroom, it's a wonderful place to fall asleep seeing the moon and stars and a wonderful way to awaken in the morning to a gorgeous sunrise.

Sign me up. Of course, I would like Belgian waffles when I wake up. LOL!!! Sounds amazing! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Diane M said:

Can I come for a visit and a dip in your lake?

You bet!  My whole second floor is for guests...lots of privacy and a great view.  Of course I had to save my entire career to afford to build it unlike some of the youngsters that seem to fall into lucky money.

Full disclose - no hardwood floors, granite countertops, or stainless steel appliances.  Just in case that's a deal breaker.

• Love 9
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:23 PM, Kohola3 said:

You bet!  My whole second floor is for guests...lots of privacy and a great view.  Of course I had to save my entire career to afford to build it unlike some of the youngsters that seem to fall into lucky money.

Full disclose - no hardwood floors, granite countertops, or stainless steel appliances.  Just in case that's a deal breaker.

And, you were so close. I'm sorry but if there isn't any hardwood, granite countertops or stainless steel appliances its a gut job. LOL!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 8/8/2017 at 10:33 PM, ByaNose said:

So do the Panama couple plan on leaving the kids at home while they're at the condo? WTF? Why would someone pay all that money for a one bedroom condo. I could understand if you were single or newly married but they have 5 kids!!!! How about a 2 bedroom that's not on the beach but in walking distance?! It would be cheaper, too. Also, the wife was a little OTT in the need for glam but the condo was pretty.  

I assumed that they were basically buying it as an investment to rent and during the one or two times a year they would go to visit they all bunk in the living room and have a great time on the beach. location, location, location.

I've recently discovered Beachfront Bargain Hunt and the Renovation edition. This week a father and daughter were looking for a place in Honduras and I had the opportunity to explain to my husband what "resting bitchface" is. As an aside, you can get some great places in Honduras for very little money! 

On the Renovation edition, we saw what may have been a repeat episode over the weekend, when a Dallas couple with 4 kids was looking for a place in South Padre Island. I was embarassed for the wife/mom, who is at least 40 but still shopping in the Juniors dept and putting pink streaks in her hair.  I hated both the indoor slide and the pool slide they installed. But most importantly, I kept yeling at the TV when the show tried to have us believe that a full gut job and complete reno, including adding a 3rd floor (I'm sure the neighbors behind them who lost their ocean view just loved that) plus outdoor hardscaping and landscaping, cost a mere $85,000. Not a chance and we called BS. Come on, HGTV. 

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

I've recently discovered Beachfront Bargain Hunt and the Renovation edition. This week a father and daughter were looking for a place in Honduras and I had the opportunity to explain to my husband what "resting bitchface" is. As an aside, you can get some great places in Honduras for very little money! 

On the Renovation edition, we saw what may have been a repeat episode over the weekend, when a Dallas couple with 4 kids was looking for a place in South Padre Island. I was embarassed for the wife/mom, who is at least 40 but still shopping in the Juniors dept and putting pink streaks in her hair.  I hated both the indoor slide and the pool slide they installed. But most importantly, I kept yeling at the TV when the show tried to have us believe that a full gut job and complete reno, including adding a 3rd floor (I'm sure the neighbors behind them who lost their ocean view just loved that) plus outdoor hardscaping and landscaping, cost a mere $85,000. Not a chance and we called BS. Come on, HGTV. 

I'm nosey and was trying to figure out the family tree. The wife seemed young (she was trying way too hard with the pink streak) and, they had 2 older daughters and then there were two little boys. So, I'm guess the two older girls were his from another marriage and the younger two were theirs? That said, they did a great job with the inside and outside. At first, when the father was talking about the slide I thought the slide was going out the window to the pool. LOL!!! I was like, "isn't that kind of dangerous?". LOL!!!

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I'm nosey and was trying to figure out the family tree. The wife seemed young (she was trying way too hard with the pink streak) and, they had 2 older daughters and then there were two little boys. So, I'm guess the two older girls were his from another marriage and the younger two were theirs? That said, they did a great job with the inside and outside. At first, when the father was talking about the slide I thought the slide was going out the window to the pool. LOL!!! I was like, "isn't that kind of dangerous?". LOL!!!

Well, they said they met in college and had been married 18 years. I assume all the kids are theirs. As soon as she came out in her romper I was all "oh honey, no" and her voice drove me crazy. She didn't seem like a bad person, she just annoyed me. Her husband said she was the hottest girl in college and you can tell she still works that for all it's worth.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Well, they said they met in college and had been married 18 years. I assume all the kids are theirs. As soon as she came out in her romper I was all "oh honey, no" and her voice drove me crazy. She didn't seem like a bad person, she just annoyed me. Her husband said she was the hottest girl in college and you can tell she still works that for all it's worth.

She was very pretty in a reality show sort of way. I guess 18 years is a long time to have two older kids and two young ones later in life. They just seemed so young. I'm 52 so I'm kind of old. LOL!!! I liked the white kitchen...I think it was white....aren't they all white on HGTV? LOL!!!

On 8/14/2017 at 8:52 PM, Patti Jean said:

And I hope you enjoy 5 people in a one bedroom place.

I guess it was a repeat show I watched last night but I'm assuming it's the same one you're referring two.  Parents with 3 kids opting for a one bedroom condo on the beach.  They never showed how they worked out the sleeping arrangements - spent the entire end of the show talking about how they spend all of their time out on the beach or in the water.  Do the kids all sleep in sleeping bags in the living room?  I'm so annoyed.

• Love 5

From last night's Myrtle Beach episode of Beachfront BH...

Husband during intro: "A pool is a must-have for us"

Husband after touring property with a pool: "That pool is too much maintenance. We're on vacation, we don't want to do any maintenance."

For fuck's sakes.

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, Tony said:

From last night's Myrtle Beach episode of Beachfront BH...

Husband during intro: "A pool is a must-have for us"

Husband after touring property with a pool: "That pool is too much maintenance. We're on vacation, we don't want to do any maintenance."

For fuck's sakes.

Oops, clicked on the wrong thread but noticed your post ...

Tony, what's probably an editing error sounds kinda' true to life, to me.

Ever dreamed about something and then change your mind when reality struck?  Who'll be maintaining that pool when the pool guy doesn't show?  

Or, in HH terms, they needed to debate something / anything (lol) to end the long filming day ...

Edited by aguabella

Saw an episode this evening in St. Croix that featured a home in a community that we stayed at! Young couple with small boy and girl. The 3rd house they looked at was on a ridge toward the east end that had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths with a split floor plan and a private pool. Beautiful water views. It was a great place. When they said the asking price was something about $354K, my husband turned to me with a look like, why are we still living with 4 seasons. Hope the place is still there. I think St. Croix fared better than St. Thomas and PR.