Type keyword(s) to search

Beachfront Bargain Hunt - General Discussion

• Start Topic

All I could think about (Florida episode with the large deck he built himself) was the swamp underneath the deck...mosquitoes and zika!  Did they drain it completely before building the deck?  I wasn't watching with all my attention...

2 hours ago, AlleC17 said:

All I could think about (Florida episode with the large deck he built himself) was the swamp underneath the deck...mosquitoes and zika!  Did they drain it completely before building the deck?  I wasn't watching with all my attention...

I didn't even think it was possible to build a deck over the swamp. Now, I know why I don't know how to do anything handy. The husband has a great sill and the wife wasn't too bad herself. I was shocked that they picked the house due to the small (non) backyard and the narrow side yard. Somehow they made it work and it looked awesome.

• Love 2
On August 15, 2016 at 10:36 PM, ByaNose said:

I didn't even think it was possible to build a deck over the swamp. Now, I know why I don't know how to do anything handy. The husband has a great sill and the wife wasn't too bad herself. I was shocked that they picked the house due to the small (non) backyard and the narrow side yard. Somehow they made it work and it looked awesome.

All you need to do is sink pilings. There is a few feet of water and muck, then you strike coral rock.  Of course sinking pilings is a big job.  But tho mosquitos would be awful in the summer.

• Love 2

I was catching up on my dvr recordings and was watching one where EVERY house they were shown, the HH's exclaimed 'I love how open it is...so beachy'  Gah, I thought my head was going to explode of I heard that damn phrase again.  lol  Oh , and the 'there is so much light!'

• Love 2

Good grief...I finally watched an episode of this one because some lameassed couple was trying to find a vacation condo in Tybee Island, an area I happen to know well and love dearly.

I call them lameassed because he seemed completely dead inside and she was puffy and matronly enough to pass as his mother, and they acted like aliens posing as human beings with their oddly stilted, cyborg-like repeated quips of "so much natural light" and "we want a beach view" or "this space is kinda small". Plus, they had two little boys and ended up choosing the tiniest, most awkwardly small condo with only one double bed((really no bigger than a typical generic hotel suite)) just because it "had the best ocean view." Meanwhile, I can't imagine the Hell on earth it would be to share a barely 400 sqft beach condo regularly with those two rambunctious-looking young boys who will eventually grow into big teen dudes that'll likely be too creeped out to eagerly vacay in that tiny condo space with their parents anyway.

Maybe for now, soulless dad and poofy mom will gladly let their boys run wild at the pool as they both sit back and waste the hours away on their balcony, drinking bland white wine while staring blankly at their precious Tybee Island ocean view, toasting natural light and wide kitchen spaces for entertaining all those invisible guests.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 9

Last night they showed a couple buying in Kitty Hawk, NC, and they were realtors, so picked out houses themselves to go view.  The voice on hte husband was so damned annoying!  I don't know if it was because he was intimidated by the cameras or what, but it drove me crazy.  Their son was a cutie pie, but I also got the sense that they think he is an extra special snowflake:  nothing concrete, just a vibe I got from the couple, possibly fueled by my irritation about his voice.  Yikes!  lol  Oh, and in their intro, she complained that the house they have was a bit small, so the first home they show?  900sf.  Yeah, knew that one was a decoy, for all that it was close to the beach.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, AlleC17 said:

Last night they showed a couple buying in Kitty Hawk, NC, and they were realtors, so picked out houses themselves to go view.  The voice on hte husband was so damned annoying!  I don't know if it was because he was intimidated by the cameras or what, but it drove me crazy.  Their son was a cutie pie, but I also got the sense that they think he is an extra special snowflake:  nothing concrete, just a vibe I got from the couple, possibly fueled by my irritation about his voice.  Yikes!  lol  Oh, and in their intro, she complained that the house they have was a bit small, so the first home they show?  900sf.  Yeah, knew that one was a decoy, for all that it was close to the beach.

I can usually watch these shows till the end or at least fast forward. I could only watch 5 minutes due to the husband and his voice. I didn't even fast forward. I deleted the show then and there. Wow! He was beyond annoying. I couldn't even take the time to see whatever house they picked which is the best part. 

3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I can usually watch these shows till the end or at least fast forward. I could only watch 5 minutes due to the husband and his voice. I didn't even fast forward. I deleted the show then and there. Wow! He was beyond annoying. I couldn't even take the time to see whatever house they picked which is the best part. 

You lasted 3 minutes longer than me.  His voice!!! It was like he was talking in slow motion!

Single mother of 6 in Guam:  I must have missed her occupation.  Maybe a yoga instructor?  How can she afford a budget of 350K?  I noticed that they didn't show the inside AFTER shots.  They said that they were concentrating on being outside.  I guess so with only two bedrooms.

I too missed the Guam Mom's occupation.  Hope she's happy lounging in her single while her four kids are piled up on top of each other with the two others on a couch somewhere.  Was this supposed to be a permanent/long term arrangement?  That episode ticked me off.

• Love 3

Recently watched a few, including two sisters and a brother buying a place in Manahawkin, NJ.  In all the interstitials they were eating.  First they went to an ice cream place and bought a 32-scoop sundae in a sand pail.  For three people.  Over 10 scoops apiece--plus toppings!  Then later they had chowder (only one bread bowl each).  Then when they bought the place the brother was grilling on the deck--at least 9, maybe a dozen burgers.  I thought maybe they were finally having the friends and family over that they had been talking about.  No, they sit down, the three of them, at their picnic table with their platter of burgers--all assembled burgers--buns for each--no double patty burgers.      (Maybe after filming ended they invited the crew to join them).  

I was in awe.

No, wait, they played mini golf too--and reminisced about how very clever their brother was when he tripped at mini golf at age 13 and quipped "That's gonna leave a mark!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Can somebody please explain to me what compels folks living at/near the water to paint every damn room a shade of blue?  Also, why must there be some type of fish hanging on every wall?  We GET it...you live at the beach!  Isn't there enough blue sky and fish in the water for you?  If that's your idea of decorating, I think you need an advanced course. Not every room needs to feel "beachy ...and that goes for random seashells lying on every surface too. UGH!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

Can somebody please explain to me what compels folks living at/near the water to paint every damn room a shade of blue?  Also, why must there be some type of fish hanging on every wall?  We GET it...you live at the beach!  Isn't there enough blue sky and fish in the water for you?  If that's your idea of decorating, I think you need an advanced course. Not every room needs to feel "beachy ...and that goes for random seashells lying on every surface too. UGH!

Because when you live in waterfront property (we do), in the words of my step daughter, you get to kitsch it up to your hearts content. We've got nautical stuff all over the house, and we're pikers compared to friends who live waterfront. We love to sail, have a sailboat, just love being near or on the water. It's our house, you don't like it, tough.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, MsTree said:

You would have hated my Mom's and Dad's Cape Cod home then!  lol  She had fish of every type all over the place.  Oh and birds...bird carvings, statues etc.  When us kids were clearing it out after they had passed, we all had to take mandatory birds and fishes back with us.  Miss them so much and miss their crazy, beautiful house! 

I live in Hawaii, and my house is mostly blues.  ;-p  No fish though...

• Love 2
12 hours ago, MsTree said:

Wait! I thought it was law to paint in blues and have fish motif everywhere in your beach home. My parents did and I just thought it was a law. LOL!!! I guess I'm such a beach nut (the jersey shore) that I'm just used to it and never thought about it. Sadly, I think if I bought a condo in Florida I would do the same thing. I guess MsTree won't be coming to my florida home. LOL!!!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Wait! I thought it was law to paint in blues and have fish motif everywhere in your beach home. My parents did and I just thought it was a law. LOL!!! I guess I'm such a beach nut (the jersey shore) that I'm just used to it and never thought about it. Sadly, I think if I bought a condo in Florida I would do the same thing. I guess MsTree won't be coming to my florida home. LOL!!!

LOL Byanose!  I used to live "down the shore" too (Seaside Heights), but it never entered my mind to go all out "beachy".  I would rather go rustic :-)

12 hours ago, AlleC17 said:

I live in Hawaii, and my house is mostly blues.  ;-p  No fish though

Allec17...just curious, instead of fish on the wall, do you have a mural of a wave...and maybe a surfboard or two?  (Just Teasing You :))

18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It's our house, you don't like it, tough

Absolutely chessiegal...and apparently every other house on the waterfront agrees with you :)

Thanks for to all for the replies!

10 hours ago, MsTree said:

Allec17...just curious, instead of fish on the wall, do you have a mural of a wave...and maybe a surfboard or two?  (Just Teasing You :))

Thanks for to all for the replies!

lol  Actually...no.  I am in the process of renovating, and will put up some of the paintings my Mom did (bold, beautiful watercolors of flowers), and one my brother did that is a wave breaking.  ;-p  And actually, I misspoke:  one of my brothers carved some fish that are lovely and they will go back up after the reno.  lol  Sounds cheesey, but its really lovely, I promise!

Edited by AlleC17
  • Love 1

Watched a family of 6 (mom, dad, three sons ages 11, 16, and 20, and daughter about 5) buy a beachfront house with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. 1 bathroom I can dig because I grew up in a house with 2 parents, 5 daughters and 1 bathroom, but 2 bedrooms for all those people? "We're going to spend all our time outside! Well, 95% of our time!!" Uh-huh. But that last 5% of your time is going to be rough.

However, at least they weren't annoying jackass people! :)

4 hours ago, Kathcart said:

Watched a family of 6 (mom, dad, three sons ages 11, 16, and 20, and daughter about 5) buy a beachfront house with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. 1 bathroom I can dig because I grew up in a house with 2 parents, 5 daughters and 1 bathroom, but 2 bedrooms for all those people? "We're going to spend all our time outside! Well, 95% of our time!!" Uh-huh. But that last 5% of your time is going to be rough.

However, at least they weren't annoying jackass people! :)

Yeah, and the other episode last night had 3 adult kids, one was married and the other engaged...parents also bought a 2 BR (may have been 3) but only 1 bathroom.  That's sure going to be relaxing if everyone comes to visit at the same time!  One room was stacked with bunk beds and the couple said how perfect it was for the kids....I am sure their spouses will especially like that!  lol  The views WERE beautiful and they said that they hoped to add extra bedroom/bath in time.

• Love 2

The family cottage we go to every year (sadly not my family cottage) has only 2 bedrooms and one bathroom but there are lots of creative ways to make extra sleeping areas (one corner of the living room has a sofa bed and can be curtained off for example).  Anyway it certainly can be a pain when there is a crowd of us there at the same time but we manage.  I'd hate it if we spent an entire summer there with extended family but for a week or two at a time it's doable.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

The family cottage we go to every year (sadly not my family cottage) has only 2 bedrooms and one bathroom but there are lots of creative ways to make extra sleeping areas (one corner of the living room has a sofa bed and can be curtained off for example).  Anyway it certainly can be a pain when there is a crowd of us there at the same time but we manage.  I'd hate it if we spent an entire summer there with extended family but for a week or two at a time it's doable.

Understood.  :-)  It would drive me bonkers though.  lol 

I watched the young hot couple of Jeremy & Shannnah buy a place in Costa Maya for $306,000. He had the man bun & beard scruff going on & she was a bikini wearing babe. Ahhhh, to be young again! Why didn't I like look like that when I was in my 20's? LOL!!!!

• Love 8

I think it was BBH I saw last night (all these house hunting shows are starting to blur together ...) with a young vocal-fry-afflicted woman buying a condo on an island in Alabama, I think.

I was completely distracted by the obvious attraction between the house hunter and the real estate dude showing her the properties. LOL the way he was looking at her! The overtones when they looked at the bedrooms!!!

Then at the end she revealed that she and the dude have started dating so now she has a new condo and a new boyfriend. A-ha!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Kathcart said:

I think it was BBH I saw last night (all these house hunting shows are starting to blur together ...) with a young vocal-fry-afflicted woman buying a condo on an island in Alabama, I think.

I was completely distracted by the obvious attraction between the house hunter and the real estate dude showing her the properties. LOL the way he was looking at her! The overtones when they looked at the bedrooms!!!

Then at the end she revealed that she and the dude have started dating so now she has a new condo and a new boyfriend. A-ha!

We noticed that too, Kathcart!  

• Love 1

I was multi-tasking when the Alabama episode came on and her voice was so grating, that I turned the TV volume down so that I could concentrate on an email I was composing.  I looked up a couple of times and couldn't get interested, so I never did figure out when one she chose.  Her voice was horrible, but evidently he did not mind if they ended up dating.  I wonder if they were already a couple when she decided to sign up for the show and that gave him some real estate exposure.   

• Love 2

Anyone else notice how often these beach front properties (especially condos) are way over-priced?  In the epilogue, the new home/condo owners says something like ... "this place was priced at $250K but we (or our realtor) was able to negotiate it down to $175K.

I'm always surprised there is rarely any talk about flooding, and hurricanes for the Gulf Coast and Atlantic beach homes.  It seems like we hear about devastating hurricanes more and more each year, so I'd be worried about putting any money into those homes unless they're able to get excellent insurance, but that might be very expensive.   Some of them do mention it, especially if the house is built on concrete pillars with open space for the water to go.

• Love 5

This San Juan Islands, WA episode was just stupid, even by HGTV's low standard.  "We are looking for a vacation home" so the first house he shows them is 5 minutes from their home (yeah, they are going to rent it out much of the time, but still.)  

Second house was a goofy yurt with the bathroom in a separate building.  "And this island is not served by a ferry, you will have to swim to get to it." "Oh goody, this will provide us with the sense of adventure we've been seeking!"

• Love 4
(edited)

And then they bought the place five minutes from home...they were annoying. But I give their kid credit for eating that oyster he opened. Most kids wouldn't have touched it.

Then the next episode...In what parallel universe can you buy an oceanfront house commuting distance to Boston for under $400k??? 

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

And then they bought the place five minutes from home...they were annoying. But I give their kid credit for eating that oyster he opened. Most kids wouldn't have touched it.

Then the next episode...In what parallel universe can you buy an oceanfront house commuting distance to Boston for under $400k??? 

I think in the 1st episode, that was a real estate investment for them, since they were both real estate agents. I see them renting that out, not using it themselves all that much.

As for Boston, I guess if you kayak to work, the commutes not that bad/snark. That whole story line was silly.

Don't know if it was a rerun, but Saturday I watched a couple with three children buy a cottage in Narragansett, RI.  I think they were one of the nicest couples I've ever seen on any House Hunters show.  They were so much in sync with each other's opinions and wanted the same thing.  It was just really refreshing to see such a pleasant couple.  After they purchased a fixer-upper, they practically gutted the entire house and rebuilt from basement on up.  It turned out just beautifully and came in on budget.  

• Love 4

Last night was a couple (both former models) who had 3 boys and then the 4th was a girl. They were pretty cool, but then the wife kept saying, over and over and over..... "This deck will be great so (whatever the girl's name was ) and I can watch the boys surfing." ......."This beach will be wonderful so (daughter) and I can watch the boys playing football." and on and on and on. It was probably producer-driven, but a) it drove me crazy, b) gave the message that girls watch boys do things, and c) it was stupid.  I hope the daughter never watches the episode and becomes the best surfer in the family.

• Love 9

Ha ha! I picked up on that too. And she kept talking about one of the sons, Grayson. It was Grayson this and Grayson that. I think she liked saying, "Grayson." :)

• Love 1

Mr. Bean and I enjoyed a couple of episodes the other night. The beach hunters on both episodes were actually likeable!! Two brothers looking for beachfront near Atlantic City. We're very familiar with the area and thought they made a good choice with the large condo on the beach in Ventnor, rather than right in AC. Interesting dynamic going on with brother #1 married with a child, brother #2 single, and they're all going to be living and working in the same condo. They seemed very cheerful and affectionate and I hope it works out.

The family looking for a home on the lake in Minnesota was also very nice! They had a lot of positive things to say about each property and weren't entitled or snarky. Although I thought the property with 3 buildings was pretty awesome (I love saunas!) the last house they looked at was the best, and how about the water trampoline! Watching a nice, down to earth family was fun.

• Love 3

The Panama City couple were looking for beach front.  The wife was too much everything---too much boob, too much over-processed blood hair and too much makeup.  And what the hell is glam-glam?   I'm guessing that they really weren't looking for a house for their family, because they purchased the smallest condo with only one bedroom---and mind you, they have 5 kids.  No way does that tiny condo handle a family of seven.  Seeing how the couple kept asking on return rates for rentals, this place they chose is definitely not family friendly.  

• Love 3

Panama City couple confused me as well.  I guess they were just looking for investment property, not a vacation home that would be occasionally rented out.   That is the only way a one-bedroom makes sense in their case.

What exactly is a bunk room, as opposed to a bedroom?  I know we have seen some vacation homes that have a nook with bunks built in, but the Panama City ones seemed to have doors.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

What exactly is a bunk room, as opposed to a bedroom?

Usually, a bunk room is a large room filled with bunk beds and/or cots. Out west, some of the old farm houses or barns had attics that were used as a bunk room for seasonal help. 

• Love 1

I get the general meaning, but on this episode they referred to the condos as "one-bedroom" but also having a bunk room.  I think they both just had one set of bunk beds.   So why not just call it a two-bedroom?  

10 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The Panama City couple were looking for beach front.  The wife was too much everything---too much boob, too much over-processed blood hair and too much makeup.  And what the hell is glam-glam?   I'm guessing that they really weren't looking for a house for their family, because they purchased the smallest condo with only one bedroom---and mind you, they have 5 kids.  No way does that tiny condo handle a family of seven.  Seeing how the couple kept asking on return rates for rentals, this place they chose is definitely not family friendly.  

I wondered the same thing.  Where are those 5 kids going to stay?  SMH. 

• Love 1

So do the Panama couple plan on leaving the kids at home while they're at the condo? WTF? Why would someone pay all that money for a one bedroom condo. I could understand if you were single or newly married but they have 5 kids!!!! How about a 2 bedroom that's not on the beach but in walking distance?! It would be cheaper, too. Also, the wife was a little OTT in the need for glam but the condo was pretty.  

• Love 2

I don't think the Panama City Beach couple have any intention of using that property - it was clear to me they were looking for an investment property and applied to the show for her seeming to need her 15 minutes of fame on teevee.

• Love 6
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:45 AM, Mittengirl said:

I get the general meaning, but on this episode they referred to the condos as "one-bedroom" but also having a bunk room.  I think they both just had one set of bunk beds.   So why not just call it a two-bedroom?  

I think the bunk room vocabulary is part of the "it's perfect for entertaining" ethos - our house will be filled up with family and close friends aaallll the time, so we need a giant sleepover room for the hordes of children.  We are super social and our kids are too!

(Been reading this site for a year and this is my first post - yay!)

• Love 9