Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E04: Week 4

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Becca lives in San Diego and has for years now, way before going on this show. She moved there to be close to her sister and stayed when her sister moved back.

And still works as a receptionist, to believe her contestant bio? That was Becca 1.0. The new model lives in L.A. and appears to be a full-time Instagram shill.

Edited by Bugs Meany
  • Love 2
God. Listening to her describe how she was going to do a little "shimmy shimmy" sounded like Blanche describing a night out to Dorothy and the girls. Is Olivia 70?

Ha, I know! I expected her to break into phrases like "23 skidoo!" after that. I'm not a conspiracy-theory-oriented person so I don't usually buy into the whole "producer plant" thing, but Olivia brings me dangerously close to changing my mind. I don't think I've ever seen someone that dorky on this show. And not endearingly dorky - irritatingly dorky. Oy. 

• Love 2

Yes Jubilee played a cello and did very good. At least she did by that little snippet we saw of it. I actually thought her and the twins did the best of all of them and when Jubilee played the cello they cut to a shot of Ben watching. He looked like he was really pleasantly surprised and a little in awe to me. Complete opposite of Olivia where he had his face covered through most of it.

I was actually cringing more during Jubilee's cello performance than I was during Olivia's...thing. But I played a string instrument in an orchestra, so my standards are probably a bit higher than Ben's.

• Love 6

I'm quite enjoying Olivia now - but they overdid the edit with her last ep. I feel for her now, sitting on a couch somewhere, watching this, and trying to patch up her self-image. It would be enough to drive a lot of people to suicide, what they've done with the material she gave them, and I really do think the show is reprehensible in this regard.

People want so much to be seen and to be known these days, to be famous for being famous, and these poor women are cooped up in a house with no outside world interaction, no books or TV, no friends or family, and their only occupation to paint their nails and do their hair - just like a harem - it's quite revolting - and then they are plied with alcohol and attention from slimy producers and cameramen. if you didn't know you had a problem with alcohol before coming on the show, you might know it after...

The women who fall apart are meant to be shamed, and provide a foil for the chosen one. Perky Caila, if she's not the final one, will probably be the next B'ette. It's so predictable, this show. But then they need a lead who can hold it together and she has got good legs.

Most of these women are so uncomplicated, it's a mercy we have a few with normal human issues who make themselves vulnerable as I don't find the cheerleaders, the would-be soccer moms, or the regular girls you could take home to mom to be at all relatable or interesting to watch. They'll find some gronk and settle down. Their 'journey' is not interesting. I don't for one minute think Ben will end up on the final ep with anyone who isn't sweet and bland, with a spot of vocal fry - but at least I get to feel for my fellow mixed-up women who are putting themselves out there in the process. I mean, who hasn't made a woeful career mistake or made a terrible fool of themselves at some point? It's just not televised internationally, usually.

• Love 3

I was actually cringing more during Jubilee's cello performance than I was during Olivia's...thing. But I played a string instrument in an orchestra, so my standards are probably a bit higher than Ben's.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I'm not an expert, nor do I play an instrument myself, but I do listen to classical music, and I found Jubilee's cello playing really jarring.

• Love 10

Sorry if these questions have already been answered, but I've not been keeping up as well as I should:

1.  Is Caila a Hawaiian/Pacific Islander?  It looked liked she was doing something vaguely Hulu dance-ish during her talent snippet and was doing ok. 

2.  The twins mentioned they had the same job.  What do they do?  It just says "Twin".

Thank you for your input.

Ha! My roommate came in and I told her that Jubilee played cello for her talent.  She asked if she was good, and I was like, "Wellllll...."

• Love 1

Who is the "soccer mom" contestant that people keep referring to? Is this the person who said that Jubilee would not fit into the soccer mom type, and if so, who said this? --- Googled this now, it seems like that comment was made by Lauren H.? A.k.a. whom I have been calling Unattractive Lauren.

The person who is a literal mom is Amanda, she of the Baby Voice. I actually like her though. She's blonde and petite and looks sort of fragile.

Jojo is a Brunette and wore a handkerchief for a top on the romantic helicopter date.

There's also Attractive Lauren, with the huge forehead but I think she has a really cute face. And then Unattractive Lauren, no offense to anyone, I think she dressed like a chicken. She's really unattractive to me, again no offense.

I agree that Becca seems oddly attractive but to me it looks like she's had work done. If you look at her past photos she always looks completely different, lots of makeup and hair changes and maybe even more.

That's her. I call her homely Lauren.

One of my favorite things on this show is when "the Bachelor" (or Bacherlorette, I guess, but I see it more with the guys) does something that was so completely clearly done by production and the women lose their shit over it like it's the most romantic thing anyone's ever done and proof that the Bachelor is the greatest, most romantic guy ever. Did all of the women seriously think that Ben came up with the idea to put a message for them on one of the neon signs? Reminded me of Whitney going to pieces over the wall art from one of her photos with Chris.

• Love 3

One of my favorite things on this show is when "the Bachelor" (or Bacherlorette, I guess, but I see it more with the guys) does something that was so completely clearly done by production and the women lose their shit over it like it's the most romantic thing anyone's ever done and proof that the Bachelor is the greatest, most romantic guy ever.

You mean Ben didn't set up those fireworks?  My heart is broken.

• Love 4

People want so much to be seen and to be known these days, to be famous for being famous, and these poor women are cooped up in a house with no outside world interaction, no books or TV, no friends or family, and their only occupation to paint their nails and do their hair - just like a harem - it's quite revolting - and then they are plied with alcohol and attention from slimy producers and cameramen. if you didn't know you had a problem with alcohol before coming on the show, you might know it after...

I would have agreed the first few seasons the show was on, but everyone knows the score going in and if they don't, shame on them.  All the information is on the internet.  They should have done their due diligence.

• Love 2

I would have agreed the first few seasons the show was on, but everyone knows the score going in and if they don't, shame on them.  All the information is on the internet.  They should have done their due diligence.

Everyone knows the score, perhaps, but they don't really know how they'll react in this situation until they are in it.

• Love 1
Everyone knows the score, perhaps, but they don't really know how they'll react in this situation until they are in it.

I agree with this, which really means I should have more empathy for people like Olivia. I don't know how many folks here watched UnReal, but one of the major themes is that we as an audience may *think* that the contestants on these shows know what they're getting into, but they really don't. You kind of can't. I think a lot of folks think they can game the system, but the system is way more powerful than they realize. Plus, the contestants have zero influence on how they'll be edited. If you think about it it's really insidious. And yet, I continue to watch. 

• Love 5

I had noticed one scene where three girls were sitting on a sofa, and another one was sitting on one's lap. Not in a joking around way, either, they looked quite cozy, cuddling up together.  there was one instance the previous week, too.   

I get women who are, say best friends since age 12, might be comfortable with each other and hang all over each other.   but these women didn't know each other a few weeks ago.  Does it strike anyone else as weird that they are sitting all  entwined with each other?  

Or maybe it's just a ploy to increase their on-camera time. 

I agree with this, which really means I should have more empathy for people like Olivia. I don't know how many folks here watched UnReal, but one of the major themes is that we as an audience may *think* that the contestants on these shows know what they're getting into, but they really don't. You kind of can't. I think a lot of folks think they can game the system, but the system is way more powerful than they realize. Plus, the contestants have zero influence on how they'll be edited. If you think about it it's really insidious. And yet, I continue to watch. 

Right - and the interview with Sharleen (from juan pablo's season)   made it clear that the women are instructed to answer questions by re-stating the question.

Like "Could you see yourself as Ben's wife? why? "  might be answered , " I can totally see myself as Ben's wife, he and I are perfect together".   when edited without the question, it has a different feel to it.  

• Love 4

I'd have more empathy for Olivia if she ever seemed to have empathy for anyone else. As it is, based on what we're shown and what she and others have said, ...no. I think her "failure" was a fair comeuppance (no big deal at all until she turned it into one herself).

And I admit I did look for her cankles--they were there--but was more surprised by her figure. She looks beautiful, usually, on The Bachelor. But I understand what an earlier poster meant by "too thin". A showgirl is curvy and sexy (of course "owning it" helps, too). Not to be catty or mean, but I was pretty surprised--given how good she normally looks around the other girls--how completely Unconvincing she was as a showgirl. She looked kind of stick-straight, not even shapely legs. And then, because she -didn't- "own it" the whole thing was even worse.

I have no idea what she was hinting at when Ben asked if she had more of a talent than just doing the showgirl thing and she said "Yes, it's a surprise." No wonder the other girl thought she might be prepared to dance or sing very well. I don't know why she said that, unless she meant "There's a prop cake, too!"  I thought she might have "sung" like Marilyn Monroe did "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" (i.e. not really "singing"), but..no. And then she herself made it much worse (and much more of a moment TB will repeat and laugh at.)

Glad to hear others re: Jubilee's snippet of cello. However, given the "talent" we saw, even if she'd played "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on it, it would have been better than most of them. (The twins deserved their "two on one" date anyway for being the best performers that day--and for knowing who the ventriloquist was).

I think in terms of TB, Lauren H [[oops--mistakenly wrote Lauren B.]] is very average looking, even plain. But TB sets the bar kind of high, with the often bad lighting and unflattering closeups.  I think that  in the workplace/in person, with nice clothes and hair, she'd probably be considered very attractive.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 3

So, I'm definitely sticking with my original call of Lauren B for the "winner" (YMMV) and Caila for the next b'ette (especially after the stealth "sex panther" reference which will add to her mystique and she is SOOOOO cute) ... UNLESS TPTB really wanted to shake things up and make both twins dual b'ettes (which I think would rock). 

I agree with Lace for BIP along with probably Olivia (since she's probably unemployed for the foreseeable future) and both twins (my only hesitation on the latter is that they really do seem nice and sweet and sincere ... but their lack of real storyline and any chance to make connections might tempt them to do BIP).

While I absolutely see Lauren B and Ben's connection, and good for them, I do not find her attractive AT ALL ... mainly because there are just a lot of little things that are so off. Her hair is very helmet-head 60s and the severe side part into that almost-That Girl flip does no favors to her fivehead. I keep thinking if she would cut some fringey bangs it would be a 400% improvement. Plus the beady eyes and little potato nose. I actually think she is the least physically attractive of the women that are left, but then it says a lot for whatever their connection is that apparently looks aren't everything to Ben. 

Olivia gets less attractive every week which may be a combo of her personality overtaking her looks, her lack of her TV station's professional makeup artist pluffing her up every time she goes on camera, and her surplus of alcohol and nerves and an apparently previously unexperienced feeling of "Oh, wait? You mean I'm NOT the best?" has caused a meltdown that is not only figurative but literal ... it's like watching her face melt a little more each week. 

And any sincerity I felt from her talking head angst was completely wiped out every time she put her finger in her mouth and bit it like a 19-year-old being told to look like Lolita.

I didn't watch Chris Soules' season because after the first week I couldn't stop yelling "WHERE THE F&^% IS YOUR TOP LIP?" so I don't know much about Becca other than she is a virgin and wears bad lipstick. But if they went with her for b'ette, I do think she'd have a lot of suitors just because of the V card, and I wonder if the producers wouldn't have some sort of secret bonus for anyone who could get her to give it up ... and I'd love to see the backroom negotiations that would go into where they could/could not have cameras.

ETA: Re: the twins know who Terry Fator is ... no surprise, since he has been a Vegas Strip staple for about eight years, as mentioned earlier in this thread I think ... if the other 49 states have never heard of him other than America's Got Talent, I suspect you can't drive a mile in Vegas without seeing billboards for him, etc. Like one-hit wonder Clint Holmes, who had a blessedly short shelf life with his single, possibly THE worst song ever to hit the Top 40, "Playground In My Mind," no one outside of Vegas probably remembers him (though they remember Michael who had a nickel all shiny and new) but he is one of the biggest draws in Vegas. I am definitely NOT going to see either one of them when we go there next month, though. But maybe I'll run into the twins!

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 2

You mean Ben didn't set up those fireworks?  My heart is broken.

LOL

The only thing I wonder is if or when the Bachelor(ette) is given the opportunity to plan any dates at all, or at least brainstorm with TPTB. 

I say that, thinking of how Ben arranged his date with the twins. 

Glad to hear others re: Jubilee's snippet of cello. However, given the "talent" we saw, even if she'd played "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on it, it would have been better than most of them. (The twins deserved their "two on one" date anyway for being the best performers that day--and for knowing who the ventriloquist was).

I think in terms of TB, Lauren B is very average looking, even plain. But TB sets the bar kind of high, with the often bad lighting and unflattering closeups. I think that in the workplace/in person, with nice clothes and hair, she'd probably be considered very attractive.

I admit I'm no classical aficionado but yes considering the caliber of the other "talents" I thought Jubilee did well. It did sound a little screechy at first but other than the twins I still thought she was the best. At least you have to give her a A for effort.

I posted after the first episode that I didn't think Lauren B was that attractive. I know it sounds catty and mean but I think when you sign up for these kind of shows you are putting yourself up there for critiques. After seeing a few episodes she has showed herself to be a mature confident women and she's kind of grown on me. She is cute in a sort of way but nowhere near as gorgeous as this franchise has had in the past. Or as Padma said, "in terms of the TB".

I know about the unfairness of the editing, the women are cooped up in the mansion and all that but still the cattiness that was displayed last week kind of spoiled me off a lot of these women and some seem way older than they are. JoJo looks way older then Ben. As does Olivia. Becca seems wooden.

If I had to pick I would say Caila is the prettiest but she seems so young and naive. So does Emily.

I don't know it just seems like these group of women were under par and no one really stands out overall. Or maybe I'm just getting burnt out. Oh well maybe we can look forward for the guys to bring the excitement on the next B'ette. Hears hoping.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1

The only thing I wonder is if or when the Bachelor(ette) is given the opportunity to plan any dates at all, or at least brainstorm with TPTB. 

I say that, thinking of how Ben arranged his date with the twins. 

According to a podcast Ben was on last week, yes.  The brainstorming part, anyway.  He said that he thought a spa day would be cool, and then they filled in the rest with a helicopter and hot tub.  Stuff like that.

• Love 1

I admit I'm no classical aficionado but yes considering the caliber of the other "talents" I thought Jubilee did well. It did sound a little screechy at first but other than the twins I still thought she was the best. At least you have to give her a A for effort.

I posted after the first episode that I didn't think Lauren B was that attractive. I know it sounds catty and mean but I think when you sign up for these kind of shows you are putting yourself up there for critiques. After seeing a few episodes she has showed herself to be a mature confident women and she's kind of grown on me. She is cute in a sort of way but nowhere near as gorgeous as this franchise has had in the past. Or as Padma said, "in terms of the TB".

I know about the unfairness of the editing, the women are cooped up in the mansion and all that but still the cattiness that was displayed last week kind of spoiled me off any a lot of these women and some seem way older than they are. JoJo looks way older then Ben. As does Olivia. Becca seems wooden. 

If I had to pick I would say Caila is the prettiest but she seems so young and naive. So does Emily.

I don't know it just seems like these group of women were under par and no one really stands out overall. Or maybe I'm just getting burnt out. Oh well maybe we can look forward for the guys to bring the excitement on the next B'ette. Hears hoping.

Thanks for quoting my post. It made me realize I wrote "Lauren B" when I meant "Lauren H is average/plain looking for this show, but would probably be very attractive in real life workplace." I agree with you that Lauren B is cute, actually she seems cute and pretty, one of those people that looks better because of her personality (unlike, say, Olivia, who initially seemed beautiful and a frontrunner and now just seems like Ben finds her annoying. I like that he seems very influenced by things other than conventional beauty.)

I agree that JoJo somehow looks older than the others. She's very attractive, but not the kind of looks that I think make the best bachelorettes, the ones the men go nuts competing for like Emily and Trista. Some of the ones with less conventional beauty like Jillian wound up with a great group, but I'd be afraid the producers would pull something on JoJo like they did on Ashley with Bentley. These are not nice people, behind the scenes. I think the bachelorette needs to be very strong.

I agree that the women overall don't seem quite up to usual, but I'm really enjoying the season because Ben is so much better than the usual leads. (I thought Andi was good at making conversation but was obnoxious. Ben is winning me over by making conversation very well and, so far, seeming like a kind man who is able to generate romance with each of them in a seemingly  sincere way. I think he's very interesting and unusual, in that way..).

I do think they seem to have their favorites they -are- extra nice to--Emily, Andi and now, it seems, Ben. This is the first time I've heard of a bachelor having much input on the dates, and them not being quite so humiliating for the women (like that "walking through Hollywood in a bikini" one). I hope so, anyway. I can't stand those dates.         

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

Thanks for quoting my post. It made me realize I wrote "Lauren B" when I meant "Lauren H is average/plain looking for this show, but would probably be very attractive in real life workplace." I agree with you that Lauren B is cute, actually she seems cute and pretty, one of those people that looks better because of her personality (unlike, say, Olivia, who initially seemed beautiful and a frontrunner and now just seems like Ben finds her annoying. I like that he seems very influenced by things other than conventional beauty.)

I agree that JoJo somehow looks older than the others. She's very attractive, but not the kind of looks that I think make the best bachelorettes,

I agree that the women overall don't seem quite up to usual, but I'm really enjoying the season because Ben is so much better than the usual leads.

Oh don't get me started on Lauren H. She is a case of not having much beauty or likeability. To me she's another one who seems older than Ben.

Yes you are absolutely right. Ben is what makes this season enjoyable. I guess that's why I wish he would have had a better selection of women. But he seems satisfied with them and that's what matters.

It's hard to figure out how to quote on my tablet but in response to PamelaMaeSnap's post from above regarding Olivia:

I agree. I thought she was stunning the first night but she quickly faded. Her face is beautiful (except when she does the exaggarated wide mouth thing) but her hair is awful. Limp, straight and with that severe part in the center. I don't know if she uses too much product or her hair is just too thin but I've noticed several times that it actually looks greasy. She would look much better with a side part or even long layers.

But her "all that" attitude is by far her undoing. Yes the scenes with her fingers in her mouth were hilarious. I couldn't help but say, "get your fingers out of your mouth, your not a baby". If she was trying to come off seductive she failed miserably. That was just nasty.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1

I must be watching another slow. Olivia has a very full head of hair, not what is considered thin in the least. In fact, that appears to be her actual hair, not some ratty shit she paid to have glued/sewed/taped in like so many others.

That is an enviable head of hair.

• Love 1

Oh don't get me started on Lauren H. She is a case of not having much beauty or likeability. To me she's another one who seems older than Ben.

Her accent is what kills me. She is annoying and her soccer mom comments last week were stupid, but I don't find her totally wretched personality-wise. And I wouldn't necessarily call her beautiful, but I think she's attractive enough. That accent though. >_< I've never noticed being bothered by Michigan accents in my life before...but her particular accent/voice combo just grates on me. 

• Love 1

Overall, I don't think they get any say, because they don't know anything about the contestants coming in.  And we KNOW the producers love to put the folks terrified of heights up on high buildings, and the ones afraid of water in the ocean, etc.  Plus, all of the activities have to be planned & organized in advance,  Getting permits and permissions for filming, closing down venues and hiring local crews has to happen, possibly before the Bachelor or Bachelorette even know the next city they're going to. 

But I think Ben being able to hang with the twins in LV was an exception to the usual.  It was a nice touch.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

I must be watching another slow. Olivia has a very full head of hair, not what is considered thin in the least. In fact, that appears to be her actual hair, not some ratty shit she paid to have glued/sewed/taped in like so many others.

That is an enviable head of hair.

Mu Shu, I suppose it seems that way to me because I always had a very thick head of hair. So thick it was always hard for me to find hair accessories big enough to hold it. Even after chemo when I lost it all, though not as thick, it still came back full. I tell everyone I shouldn't have complained about having too much hair..lol.

So I guess to me her hair looks thin compared to what I'm used to.

Maybe a better word is volume. Her hair lacks body and volume. I've noticed she's put some curl and waves in it at times. That look is so much better on her in my opinion.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1

It's official: people aren't aware that the most beautiful girl on the show is even on the show. I'll put her name under spoiler tags for the surprise factor:

Jennifer

Yes Jennifer is very pretty and I would say probably one of the sweetest there also. I had commented up thread that she needed more time with Ben because I was afraid she was going to get eliminated otherwise. If she can go far enough she could even be in the running for the B'ette. Now that I could go for. I think she would be a good B'ette although she's probably to laid back for the producers taste.

Edited by yorklee2

And we KNOW the producers love to put the folks terrified of heights up on high buildings, and the ones afraid of water in the ocean, etc.

If there's one thing I learned, if I were to be on this show (which I wouldn't and am too old even if I wanted to haha), as one terrified of deep water, I'd say that my hobby is scuba diving!
  • Love 3

And still works as a receptionist, to believe her contestant bio? That was Becca 1.0. The new model lives in L.A. and appears to be a full-time Instagram shill.

Well I haven't seen any proof of her moving to LA. It still says San Diego on her Twitter page too. She does seems to be spending a lot of time in LA with her Bachelor and non-Bachelor friends lately, but it's not like it's far from SD. Doesn't mean she moved. No idea about her job situation, but it seemed pretty flexible to begin with.

As for the looks discussion going on, I actually find Lauren B the most attractive. She has a cute feminine heart-shaped face, high cheekbones and smiling eyes. Nothing about her face bothers me. The other Lauren, however, is unfortunate looking. I can't get over her nose and her annoying demeanor doesn't help. She also has the horrible habit of talking like she is talking to children. I guess it's hard to switch off for a kindergarten teacher, but it's just so so grating. 

Olivia isn't attractive at all to me. Her eyes are pretty, but her face is too wide and that hair is just offensive. I feel physical pain when looking at it, I swear. Parting it in the middle just highlights its flatness and the wideness of her face. Please get her off my screen soon!

JoJo is pretty, but looks older than her years and the fake rack is distracting. Cheapens her look.

Something about Amanda's face bothers me a lot. Her forehead is bigger than Lauren's and totally immobile thanks to Botox. She already seems pretty humourless, so having an expressionless face doesn't exactly help her appeal.

Caila is pretty stunning and has the best body, but the phoney open mouth smile is not attractive. Reminds me of Andi.

I've always found Becca really pretty, but I too wish she'd go for a darker lipstick. Her lips look lighter than her face at times and it's not a good look.

• Love 1

I've never noticed being bothered by Michigan accents in my life before...but her particular accent/voice combo just grates on me.

Me too. I wonder if she's always lived in Michigan or if it's possible she's originally from somewhere else. When I first heard her accent it kind of sounded more north/mid western. Like Minnosota or North Dakota.

I cringed when they called it "Irish tap dancing." They've obviously been doing it for years, do they really not know that it's called step dancing.

Irish step dancing and Irish tap dancing are two different things (they have a few similarities though). The twins were correct when they called it Irish tap dancing, that is definitely the one they did.

Caila is the only one I wouldn't watch if she was the bachelorette. I get an insincere vibe from her and she's just annoying. Ugh that "breakdown" last episode was cringe worthy bad acting.

JoJo is probably my favorite but I wish she would stop dressing so slutty. She's so pretty, there's no need for that flapping piece of cloth she wore on the helicopter date and the dress that was two sizes too small and showed her Underboob at the rose ceremony.

I like the twins and I find them to be pretty drama free and not as attention hogging as I would have expected. Count me in as a fan!

I think Becca is really pretty. She also seems down to earth and drama free.

• Love 2

I thought Olivia was pretty in the beginning, but her beauty faded fast and the producers must hate her.  Her posture is awful!  She walks with her head and neck forward.  Lately she's been looking greasy.  I notice it more on her face than her hair.  But there was the real bad hair moments during the whole talent show debacle.  

• Love 3
  I posted after the first episode that I didn't think Lauren B was that attractive. I know it sounds catty and mean but I think when you sign up for these kind of shows you are putting yourself up there for critiques.

I've been trying this season to avoid face/body snark and only mention a contestant's looks if I have something nice to say, but I admit it's hard. I'm attempting to undo 45 years of conditioning! So many of the women who appear in this franchise are not my cup of tea lookswise, but there have been some notable exceptions. I thought Andi was stunning on Juan Pablo's season, but her beauty faded for me during her season as I started to like her less and less. I still think Sharleen is gorgeous and a total class act. Ashley I. is so naturally pretty she could probably have any guy she wanted, if she'd just grow up and get out of her own damn way. No one this season is sticking out to me just yet as a classic beauty, but maybe they will as time goes on and I see more of them. I think Jubilee is really pretty and she intrigues me, but the pouting is a turnoff. 

• Love 3

Well I haven't seen any proof of her moving to LA. It still says San Diego on her Twitter page too. She does seems to be spending a lot of time in LA with her Bachelor and non-Bachelor friends lately, but it's not like it's far from SD. Doesn't mean she moved. No idea about her job situation, but it seemed pretty flexible to begin with.

As for the looks discussion going on, I actually find Lauren B the most attractive. She has a cute feminine heart-shaped face, high cheekbones and smiling eyes. Nothing about her face bothers me. The other Lauren, however, is unfortunate looking. I can't get over her nose and her annoying demeanor doesn't help. She also has the horrible habit of talking like she is talking to children. I guess it's hard to switch off for a kindergarten teacher, but it's just so so grating. 

Olivia isn't attractive at all to me. Her eyes are pretty, but her face is too wide and that hair is just offensive. I feel physical pain when looking at it, I swear. Parting it in the middle just highlights its flatness and the wideness of her face. Please get her off my screen soon!

JoJo is pretty, but looks older than her years and the fake rack is distracting. Cheapens her look.

Something about Amanda's face bothers me a lot. Her forehead is bigger than Lauren's and totally immobile thanks to Botox. She already seems pretty humourless, so having an expressionless face doesn't exactly help her appeal.

Caila is pretty stunning and has the best body, but the phoney open mouth smile is not attractive. Reminds me of Andi.

I've always found Becca really pretty, but I too wish she'd go for a darker lipstick. Her lips look lighter than her face at times and it's not a good look.

I still find it amazing how much everyone's opinions and preferences can differ. The beauty of this board is that we can all state them and discuss. I like hearing other people's opinions and beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

I thought Olivia was pretty in the beginning, but her beauty faded fast and the producers must hate her.  Her posture is awful!  She walks with her head and neck forward.  Lately she's been looking greasy.  I notice it more on her face than her hair.  But there was the real bad hair moments during the whole talent show debacle.  

I noticed her face also. I don't know if her hair is prone to being oily too or if she just used too much product. It can weigh the hair down and make it look oily when it's not.

I've been trying this season to avoid face/body snark and only mention a contestant's looks if I have something nice to say, but I admit it's hard. I'm attempting to undo 45 years of conditioning!

I would never tell someone their physical flaws or intentionally hurt them in real life. We are all judged everyday on our appearances but most people are going to keep their thoughts to themselves. If any of us viewers were to be on this show it would be no different. At least I know I wouldn't. Ha.. I would be torn to shreds. And unfortunately I think when you sign up for a show like this you are opening yourself up for critiques. It's the nature of the game.

Edited by yorklee2

ITA that anyone going on a show like the Bachelor knows the internet and the tabloids and -should- know what to expect. No one on the internet ever agrees about anything, and that would be "your looks and personality" if you were a Bachelor contestant. (One among so many reasons, I'd never do it and would caution all but the most thick-skinned and self-disciplined young friends not to do it either!)

That said, I always enjoy the part where someone gets better (or worse) looking as their personality comes more into play. ITA that Ashley I is gorgeous, but her personality makes her a more difficult "match" for someone than just based on looks alone. (I don't dislike her--she just seems so oddly immature, esp. after seeing her sister. That's just an example. Emily, Andi, Bob, Juan Pablo...there are many who start out one way and your feelings change watching them actually interact with people.

That's how Lauren B has become my favorite. She was cute imo from the beginning, but now I think she seems so perfect for Ben. Pretty (but non-threatening unlike, say, Olivia), seems intelligent, fun, honest and doesn't bring the drama. I like how she isn't giving off vibes of desperation even while saying things like, "This could be the last first date of my life". If she wasn't there, I'm not sure who my choice for Ben would be. (Jubilee is apparently too insecure, Caila is pretty, but seems kind of boring, especially for a sex panther. I have no idea who Jennifer is, but based on comments here, I guess maybe she'd be my runner up, lol, because the ones I -do- remember just don't seem well-suited to him from what we've seen so far.

Funny how Olivia seemed like a sure thing in the beginning--kind of a frontrunner in the "Emily" category of "looks that men like"--but unlike Emily, her insecurities are doing her in.  I see Lauren B as more of a Trista type--and I still think Trista was one of the best b-ettes. If Lauren B is the one who gets her heartbroken (and I'll be shocked if she doesn't make F2), I think she'd be a shoe-in as the next -b-ette.  (If I were Ben, someone like Becca would be my F2--someone to keep solidly in the friend zone without breaking her heart at the end. I was surprised how serious Chris seemed about her. I don't see that happening with Ben.)

• Love 2

I think Trista is the best B ette. Not that I like her, but she got what she wanted and didn't make an ass of herself.

Looks wise , I think Jo Jo looks like a 35 year old bird, and as for the remaining twin, we have seen her mother. Nuff said. Homely Lauren looks like a buyer (and talks like) on House Hunters.

Non homely Lauren reminds me of that stupid girl from Chris's season facially. Amanda is a Tenly clone. IMO, the most attractive were Lace and Jami.

• Love 1

I went searching around for Caila's ethnicity to answer a question here.  I inadvertently ran into major spoilers so I don't recommend it.  I think she is half Filipina and half German.

Ok, that makes sense.  Thanks.  The chick who married Famewhore Sean was half Filipina and half Italian. 

So I’m from TWP and have been following these threads for a while so I feel like I finally want to pipe up. Going to focus on my less popular (or at least less commonly stated here) views. But let’s say the things you guys may disagree with. I don’t buy into producer plant, but I do buy into the idea that producers have a general idea of the “plot” they want to unfold.

I see absolutely no chemistry between Becca and Ben. Not even friendly chemistry. I sense a producer storyline. Becca has a lot of fans because of her faith and beauty, so the TPTB really want to make her “happen” this season, and maybe make her the Bachelorette next season if things go well. She’s even taken acting lessons so she can pretend to be interested in the Bachelor sometimes! The whole Becca situation smacks of the hypocrisy of “right reasons” viewers. They’re all about values but yet they love a show where a dude dates a ton of girls at the same time and is more than likely not going to marry any of them. The fact that someone like Becca would do this show makes “right reasons” viewers feel good about themselves. The idea that men like virgins reinforces their ideas about the world. I don’t approve of any of this, naturally, but that’s 100% why she’s still on the show. Why would Ben want any more of Chris’s sloppy seconds, especially when he has strong connections with other girls?  Anyways, separate and apart from her  lack of chemistry with the Bachelor leads and her virginity (neither of those things are relevant), Becca sets off my gaydar big time. The only way I want to see her on the Bachelorette is if she’s looking for a wife.

As for the complete polar opposite situation, I think when Jubilee was cast both she and the TBTB expected her to be cannon fodder and nobody really knew what to do with her as a part of the main story. Jubilee scenes feel like they're from a different show. No show plans for that; shows plan to give the audience what they expect.  How did we get here? At some point during the process, Ben must’ve said something to the effect “yeah totally I’d date a black girl.” (Why else cast three, when there’s usually at most one?) I imagine that the original plan was to bring Amber back and have her redeem herself by getting passed through to a somewhat later episode than most black contestants. They assured her she’d have “more of a chance” this time. But, whoops! Ben liked Jubilee better than Amber (and basically everyone else not named Lauren B or Jojo). I feel like at this point Jubilee could stick around to F5 or so just on the strength of their friendship, but who knows if she’ll be able to handle the situation for that long. Friendships based entirely on mutual attraction are rarely stable. Self-elimination seems inevitable. Jubilee’s too moody and unpredictable to be a good Bachelorette, and unlike Caila (more on her later), I feel like she’d want a more diverse pool of contestants than the show has previously had, which might be too much of a departure for the franchise on top of the Bachelorette herself not being white. Also a whole Jubilee season would be so aco-taco I’m not sure it would even be pleasant watching.

Caila is trying to happen. She’s trying to win. She’s hustling. She was surely flagged as a person with ‘ette potential from the start. I don't know if it's going to work, though. I definitely don’t put her in the same top-tier category as Lauren B and Jojo for F1, as some do. She’s a ways back. I think Ben’s flattered that such a pretty girl is so aggressive with him but I don’t see the same initiative and attentiveness with Caila as I do with Lauren B and Jojo (or even Jubilee and the elusive Jennifer, or Olivia back when he was interested in her). More significantly, I feel like Caila’s been shown to be a bit too thirsty, crazy, and over-acty for a true Bachelorette edit. I mean, honestly, even the “sex panther” line strikes me as a backhanded complement at best. I wouldn’t be surprised if some Britt-ish incident happened later to rule Caila out of Bachelorette/F1 contention, and they’ve been saving her crazy for when Olivia leaves. Also the fact that some people think Jubilee might be a good Bachelorette kind of unfairly would make ‘ette-Caila seem like a desperate play for an "easier" form of diversity in the form of a half-Asian chick desperate for the approval of white men.

Count me in as #teamJennifer for F1, for Bachelorette, for the win, etc. She seems like she was more of a factor in the real life experience/filming than she is on what we see on the show, and that’s always a sign of a cool human.

Okay, so if not Caila for Bachelorette, then who? I’d rather see Olivia or Jojo. Olivia because I kind of like her dorkiness and neuroses. She’s different. And she’s so conventionally pretty that reality TV dudes would still sign up and stick around for a chance to be with her. I like Jojo because she seems chill and low key, but not boring or basic if you actually get to talking to her. This is the same reason why I wanted Jade for Bachelorette after Chris’s season. I could also live with Amanda (but huge negative points for that awful voice). But I guess I’d rather Caila than Lauren B or Becca (or Amber...lol).

• Love 3

So I’m from TWP and have been following these threads for a while so I feel like I finally want to pipe up. Going to focus on my less popular (or at least less commonly stated here) views. But let’s say the things you guys may disagree with. I don’t buy into producer plant, but I do buy into the idea that producers have a general idea of the “plot” they want to unfold.

I see absolutely no chemistry between Becca and Ben. Not even friendly chemistry. I sense a producer storyline. Becca has a lot of fans because of her faith and beauty, so the TPTB really want to make her “happen” this season, and maybe make her the Bachelorette next season if things go well. She’s even taken acting lessons so she can pretend to be interested in the Bachelor sometimes! The whole Becca situation smacks of the hypocrisy of “right reasons” viewers. They’re all about values but yet they love a show where a dude dates a ton of girls at the same time and is more than likely not going to marry any of them. The fact that someone like Becca would do this show makes “right reasons” viewers feel good about themselves. The idea that men like virgins reinforces their ideas about the world. I don’t approve of any of this, naturally, but that’s 100% why she’s still on the show. Why would Ben want any more of Chris’s sloppy seconds, especially when he has strong connections with other girls?  Anyways, separate and apart from her  lack of chemistry with the Bachelor leads and her virginity (neither of those things are relevant), Becca sets off my gaydar big time. The only way I want to see her on the Bachelorette is if she’s looking for a wife.

As for the complete polar opposite situation, I think when Jubilee was cast both she and the TBTB expected her to be cannon fodder and nobody really knew what to do with her as a part of the main story. Jubilee scenes feel like they're from a different show. No show plans for that; shows plan to give the audience what they expect.  How did we get here? At some point during the process, Ben must’ve said something to the effect “yeah totally I’d date a black girl.” (Why else cast three, when there’s usually at most one?) I imagine that the original plan was to bring Amber back and have her redeem herself by getting passed through to a somewhat later episode than most black contestants. They assured her she’d have “more of a chance” this time. But, whoops! Ben liked Jubilee better than Amber (and basically everyone else not named Lauren B or Jojo). I feel like at this point Jubilee could stick around to F5 or so just on the strength of their friendship, but who knows if she’ll be able to handle the situation for that long. Friendships based entirely on mutual attraction are rarely stable. Self-elimination seems inevitable. Jubilee’s too moody and unpredictable to be a good Bachelorette, and unlike Caila (more on her later), I feel like she’d want a more diverse pool of contestants than the show has previously had, which might be too much of a departure for the franchise on top of the Bachelorette herself not being white. Also a whole Jubilee season would be so aco-taco I’m not sure it would even be pleasant watching.

Caila is trying to happen. She’s trying to win. She’s hustling. She was surely flagged as a person with ‘ette potential from the start. I don't know if it's going to work, though. I definitely don’t put her in the same top-tier category as Lauren B and Jojo for F1, as some do. She’s a ways back. I think Ben’s flattered that such a pretty girl is so aggressive with him but I don’t see the same initiative and attentiveness with Caila as I do with Lauren B and Jojo (or even Jubilee and the elusive Jennifer, or Olivia back when he was interested in her). More significantly, I feel like Caila’s been shown to be a bit too thirsty, crazy, and over-acty for a true Bachelorette edit. I mean, honestly, even the “sex panther” line strikes me as a backhanded complement at best. I wouldn’t be surprised if some Britt-ish incident happened later to rule Caila out of Bachelorette/F1 contention, and they’ve been saving her crazy for when Olivia leaves. Also the fact that some people think Jubilee might be a good Bachelorette kind of unfairly would make ‘ette-Caila seem like a desperate play for an "easier" form of diversity in the form of a half-Asian chick desperate for the approval of white men.

Count me in as #teamJennifer for F1, for Bachelorette, for the win, etc. She seems like she was more of a factor in the real life experience/filming than she is on what we see on the show, and that’s always a sign of a cool human.

Okay, so if not Caila for Bachelorette, then who? I’d rather see Olivia or Jojo. Olivia because I kind of like her dorkiness and neuroses. She’s different. And she’s so conventionally pretty that reality TV dudes would still sign up and stick around for a chance to be with her. I like Jojo because she seems chill and low key, but not boring or basic if you actually get to talking to her. This is the same reason why I wanted Jade for Bachelorette after Chris’s season. I could also live with Amanda (but huge negative points for that awful voice). But I guess I’d rather Caila than Lauren B or Becca (or Amber...lol).

I think the Bachelorette position will be a toss up between Caila and Jojo. However, I'm assuming it will go to Caila because based on Ben's chemistry with Jojo, I think she might make it to F2. I don't think Caila's edit is meant to make her look thirsy, or desperate. I think she's coming across rather well. Olivia's edit, on the other hand, killed any chance of her leading next season. There's a difference between dorkiness/neuroses and being flat out crazy. Her edit has made her look flat out crazy. Britt's edit last season was actually comparatively nicer than Olivia's now, and it still lost her the lead to Kaitlyn, so Olivia doesn't stand a chance. I also feel like she'd be a nightmare Bachelorette because her head wouldn't fit through the door anymore. 

So far, Lauren B is the only one I can see as a bachelorette. I don't see why guys would sign up if it was Becca. She's pretty but seems so so so boring. She initiates nothing conversationally.I really liked how Ben asked her about emotion, "I want to know... if you feel things". (And, for a change, he didn't mean, "about me".) He seemed to take it very seriously that Chris had come so close to proposing marriage (like, this is all real).  I think he correctly "reads" her as emotionally detached (also why I can see why she pinged someone's gaydar here. It's not about virginity, whatever that means. She always seems robotic, even when supposedly really interested as I believe she thinks she is/should be with Ben. She would be easy to take to F2--disappointed if not F1, but easily over it (maybe even by the next day). 

So far, I don't see any of these women as the next B-ette.

• Love 1

The thing that struck me about this week's episode is that it felt like there were two or three women who got talking-head shots who I swear I've never seen before.

Now, granted, I only 1/2 to 3/4 watch at any one time.  But It really seems like this show has veered into American Idol territory in allowing the freak-show contestants to monopolize screen time at the expense of potentially viable candidates.  

How many times did we need to have those talking-head shots of Olivia (which were obviously taped on at least two very different occasions) played over and over to get the idea that she was getting insecure, loosing it, etc.?

• Love 5