Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1-3 Discussion

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

• Love 1

I've only seen up to Season 3 so far and can't believe the perp-chase formula. Danny and his partner, from something like 30 feet away, shout out the suspect's name and then says "Stop!" The partner has not positioned herself on the other side of the suspect, and so a foot chase ensues. NYPD can't be that stupid, or can they? Why wouldn't you get closer to the suspect and surround him before showing your cards? Donnie isn't all that interesting to watch running.

Why would women detectives, who constantly chase suspects (on this and other shows), wear boots with 2-inch heels?  Let's be realistic about women's shoes in such a situation, please.

Really? Tom Selleck born in the mid-fifties? He has more wrinkles than Len Cariou, and is only 5 years younger. His hair and mustache are far too dark to be believable. Even if he was born in the mid-fifties, as has been established (Selleck was born in the mid-forties), he'd still have more gray than they're showing in this series.

Why are Donnie Wahlberg and Amy Carlson (and possibly Will Estes)  the only ones with a regional accents? That's dumb.

What I love about this show is dinner conversation where the youngest children are allowed to speak. This show shows a lot of respect for children and I love that. Children are young adults; allow them to be exposed to as much as they're capable of understanding, then dumb things down for them if need be. I was raised that way and am quite grateful for it.

• Love 3

I've only seen up to Season 3 so far and can't believe the perp-chase formula. Danny and his partner, from something like 30 feet away, shout out the suspect's name and then says "Stop!" The partner has not positioned herself on the other side of the suspect, and so a foot chase ensues. NYPD can't be that stupid, or can they? Why wouldn't you get closer to the suspect and surround him before showing your cards? Donnie isn't all that interesting to watch running.

I've wondered that about almost every cop show on TV. I've never figured out why they don't try to unobtrusively walk by the suspect and grab him -- at least the detectives. Cops in uniform have a disadvantage in that case. But it seems like the ones in uniform do a better job surrounding the suspect first.

• Love 1

Why would women detectives, who constantly chase suspects (on this and other shows), wear boots with 2-inch heels?  Let's be realistic about women's shoes in such a situation, please.

Or how about their clothing in general? In pretty much every TV cop show, the male detectives wear suits and ties, hard soled shoes, and overcoats. The women wear jeans, sweaters, high heeled boots and leather jackets. What actual workplace would have such a discrepancy in the dress code?

• Love 2

Really? Tom Selleck born in the mid-fifties? He has more wrinkles than Len Cariou, and is only 5 years younger. His hair and mustache are far too dark to be believable. Even if he was born in the mid-fifties, as has been established (Selleck was born in the mid-forties), he'd still have more gray than they're showing in this series.

Why are Donnie Wahlberg and Amy Carlson (and possibly Will Estes)  the only ones with a regional accents? That's dumb.

What I love about this show is dinner conversation where the youngest children are allowed to speak. This show shows a lot of respect for children and I love that. Children are young adults; allow them to be exposed to as much as they're capable of understanding, then dumb things down for them if need be. I was raised that way and am quite grateful for it.

I am going to give Sellek credit because he is looking his age unlike men like Bruce Jenner, Robert Wagner and the late James Gardner all who have had some bad plastic surgery. I think that his wrinkled looks is because he is a bit weather beaten.

• Love 3

I think that his wrinkled looks is because he is a bit weather beaten.

I think it's because he's soon the be 70. ;-)

Bruce Jenner....now there's a fine specimen of a man....I think you owe Robert Wagner and James Garner an apology for putting being compared along with Bruce!

• Love 2

I'm not sure why I never watched this show when it first premiered, since I fucking love Tom Selleck.

I've watched an episode here and there, and it's not original for sure.  But I know I want to see more of Tom, not less. It probably doesn't help that I'm also watching all of the Magnum on Cozi right now as well.

Someone mentioned in one of the other threads, how they can't get into this because there's no humor? Like there was in Magnum.  Well, in all fairness, Magnum was created by someone different, Bellisario, who always put in humor in his shows (Magnum, Quantum, JAG, NCIS), so it's not really a fair comparison. Now, if Bellisario were the show runner, then I'd be right there, demanding, where's the humor?

So I guess I'll continue to watch even though I've never liked or cared for Marisa Ramirez. But I do like the other actors; well, except for the one who plays Nicki. talk about smug and self righteous.

• Love 2

OK. I Love this show and watch it with abandon.  Mostly because I think Tom S. is the hottest man that ever walked the planet.  That said, can ya'll either point me to the right thread or dumb this down.  I am rewatching early epis and Jaime was trying to figure out why his brother was killed.  There was something sketchy about Grandpa and the "Templars". 

Did I miss something? Was it ever explained or resolved?  Was this ever answered? Or being Friday night did I just happy-ass through Chardonnay and miss it?  It was a VERY BIG DEAL in the early epis.  I would feel so much better if I could connect the dots.

• Love 2

From what I've gathered now that the show is on WGN in repeats, the Templars were like a secret society club of cops, more of a social thing when Grandpa was involved. But they were crooked and on the take by the time Joe was in the picture. I think Joe was investigating them, I think on his own, and discovered how shady they were, and they decided Joe had to be "taken care" of and killed him. Frank and others showed up at a Templars meeting while they were doling out ill gotten money and Frank demanded to know who had shot Joe. One of the guys admitted it and I think the entire lot was arrested. 

• Love 3

The Blue Templars and Joe's death were major storylines in the earliest episodes. Then there were behind-the-scenes personnel changes, those people wanted to move on to other storylines, and the whole thing was quickly resolved (pretty much just dropped, because it was over in one episode).

• Love 1

(sigh) the Blue Templar arc would have been interesting but after the first episodes, it wasn't mentioned for a time, and then they throw in a nugget out of nowhere.  It almost seemed the writers were like "Oh yeah...that.  We need to do something" and ended it abruptly.  I know CBS wanted a more procedural format (shocking) and the creators left after the first season.  For me, that's the maddening part of the first season.  That and Danny's ties.  

• Love 2

Caught an older ep in which one of the subplots involved a Polish immigrant girl who wants to marry a [Middle Eastern] man.  The whole time they claim they're in love but her father (a traditional Polish Patriarch) not only doesn't believe in the man's true intentions (comparing his zoftig daughter to a pierogi and therefore unattractive to men) he thinks he's looking for a green card.  Eventually the daughter rebels against her father by demanding her citizenship papers (which her father chose to hide to prevent the union) and orders Jaime to arrest him since it's considered theft.  The father relents but then tells his daughter that she's dead to him and can find someplace else to go.  We eventually learn she does marry the guy but she admits it was for him to stay in the country because he was gay (he was afraid to go back to his home country where he'd face certain death).  They're still planning on living together and all works out, we're happy, let's have some champagne with the nice supportive cops, etc.  I was pissed at this for many reasons!  Bad enough marrying under false circumstances.  It was also unnecessary.  The guy could have asked for asylum due to being part of a protected class.  Second, she lost her only known family for a guy who cannot love her like a real husband and whom she will not likely have children with.  Not to mention that eventually, being married to a gay guy is going to get complicated since he'll want to go his way and she hers.  Plus they'd have to deal with follow up interviews to make sure they are living as husband and wife.  If their arrangement is found out, he'll get deported and she risks imprisonment.   As jerky as the father was, it was not worth it, yet we're supposed to root for this ridiculous arrangement!

• Love 1

I've been trying to get into this recently via ION and WGN, because I like Tom Selleck as an actor (I just ignore his politics), my mom loves this show, and Donnie Wahlberg is oddly compelling as a cop I don't much care for.  But it's hard, because I kind of hate the whole family.  I like the teenage daughter*, and the son who should have stayed a lawyer is okay, but otherwise I spend a lot of time grumbling at the TV that this is part of what's wrong with our criminal justice system.  I really don't like the grandpa.  And the DA daughter is robotic.

*I recently saw an episode in which Peter Hermann played her father.  I snorted with laughter that characters embodied by Bridget Moynahan and Peter Hermann would produce someone so short.

Amy Carlson will forever be her SVU character (a woman who was raped by her cop husband) to me, and I can't decide whether I like her in this or not.  Same with Jennifer Esposito - I generally like her, but I'm not sure of her here. 

Another show set in NY that features a paltry number of non-white characters.  And a family that has far nicer digs and wardrobes than should a bunch of public employees.  The first time I watched it at my parents' house, I asked my mom if they were all on the take.

Also, I am irrationally distracted by the fact Frank leaves his suit on when he comes home.  He takes off his jacket and maybe rolls up his sleeves, but he doesn't even unbutton his vest (I do like that he wears a vest in the first place, though) or take off his shoes.  Get comfortable, man!

So, we'll see, and it's not like there are many cop shows out there who put forth an attitude towards the criminal justice system with which I agree, but this one just seems particularly offensive to me.  But I'll keep going for a while.

• Love 1

Also, I am irrationally distracted by the fact Frank leaves his suit on when he comes home. He takes off his jacket and maybe rolls up his sleeves, but he doesn't even unbutton his vest (I do like that he wears a vest in the first place, though) or take off his shoes. Get comfortable, man!

This reminds me of my grandfather. He was a pharmacist, and I never saw him not wear a three piece suit. His comment was people were trusting him with their medicine and he never wanted to give the impression he was sloppy. Of course, he was also born in the 1800's.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I love Tom Selleck, the actor, I ignore his politics also. I've loved him since he showed up on the Rockford Files. I've love James Garner since Maverick.

Danny is compelling to watch, but overall, I don't like him. I have often wondered why women detectives wear heels, just don't think they are all that practical. And I've wondered why Danny has such a strong accent when the rest of the family doesn't..

Been watching a lot of the reruns and keep wondering how many cops or people who play them use the word "forthwith". It could almost be a drinking game that a person would be drunk after one episode. Or at least I would be because I'm small and I don't drink.

• Love 1

Well, I'm not small and I'm a lush, but if I played a game where I took a drink every time one of the characters took a crap on the Constitution or advocated doing so (looking at you, Grandpa!), I'd be hospitalized.  There's some unfortunate realism to that, of course, but the show seems to consistently take the viewpoint it's hunky dory, that the ends justify the means.  I tried another ION marathon this week, but this show is just too relentlessly offensive for me to continue.  I'm a civil rights lawyer; I see enough of this shit in real life.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I've wondered why Danny has such a strong accent when the rest of the family doesn't..

As a native NY'er myself, I chalk it up to his day to day life.  His father and grandfather are/were police commissioners and are expected to enunciate and look and act professional especially when giving pressers.  His sister and Jaime are/were lawyers so they tended to also ease up on the accents for public speaking.  Danny worked in the trenches and chose to keep the accent (even though IRL, Wahlberg is a native of Boston and not NY).

I liked Jennifer Esposito and really miss her since she left the series.  I thought she was the perfect balance of NY/Italian-American/ and cop.  She came off as very genuine to me.  It's Danny's current partner, Baez I can't stand. I also loved Jaime's training officer played by Nicholas Turturro.  Very authentic in every way.

And a family that has far nicer digs and wardrobes than should a bunch of public employees.

Being a Police Commissioner pays very well, so I don't doubt the nice house Frank and his dad live in.  Danny's and Linda's house looks right for their middle class level.  I don't remember where Jaime lives now - I remember he lived in a nice loft that belonged to his ex-fiancée for a while when she left the county but I don't know where he lives now.  Erin was married to a shark so they would have had some money together and after the divorce, she probably got to keep their house.

Been watching a lot of the reruns and keep wondering how many cops or people who play them use the word "forthwith".

As someone who works in media and sees loads of pressers, the [police] are always speaking like this - it's rooted in how they write their reports.  They have official jargon and it sometimes carried over into day to day speech.

• Love 1

Either Grandpa or Frank bought that house at least four decades before when NYC home prices weren't so crazy. So I don't have a problem about the house. I even understand Danny having problems with money, since a decective 3 in NYC makes the same amt. as a dect. 3 in my very small city.

• Love 1

This is more for the natives: is Staten Island REALLY that bad?  I mean I know it's the smallest borough and it's not easy to get to along with the tolls but sometimes they make it seem being sent there is a death sentence.

• Love 1

This is more for the natives: is Staten Island REALLY that bad?  I mean I know it's the smallest borough and it's not easy to get to along with the tolls but sometimes they make it seem being sent there is a death sentence.

No, it's NOT that bad.  In fact, I don't understand why people act like it's Outer Mongolia either!  It has lots of beautiful old neighborhoods, parks, family friendly. 

• Love 2

I liked Jennifer Esposito and really miss her since she left the series.  I thought she was the perfect balance of NY/Italian-American/ and cop.  She came off as very genuine to me. 

Since it's been over 2 years, I think enough time has passed to write about it now.  A lot of it is hearsay, but one part is something that isn't common knowledge.

As I mentioned before, I go visit the set a few times a year (there are sites that post locations and the crew is used to people looking for Donnie and overall nice people to meet.)  I have heard that she would take "advantage" by calling in sick at the last second, having production scramble or in one case, shutting down for the day to do a last minute script rewrite since she was no longer available.  There were other rumblings about which doctors she was seeing for her disease that weren't approved by CBS, etc. but like I said, it's vague and unfounded at best.

I was there in December 2012 so about 3 months Jennifer was booted off the show.  I saw  Donnie with two other friends, we said hi, etc.  Then out of nowhere he said "What do you guys think about Jen leaving the show?" I said "We only know what she's saying and what CBS is saying."  He said "You don't even know a third as to what happened.  Knowing me, do you think I would have stood for that if I didn't feel it was right?  Think about that." And he walked away for a moment.  (He has a weird way of bringing up a random topic and stopping it dead within seconds.)  I know he got along well with Jennifer, but I took that to mean he sided with the network.  So as much as I miss her on the show (I don't mind Marisa) there are a lot more reasons why she was let go in the end.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 1

As someone who has celiac disease (although not as badly as she does), and who has a brother who has celiac and also casein intolerance (no cow dairy whatsoever - lactose intolerance is a cakewalk in comparison), and as someone who read her book, she got done wrong.  Debilitating diseases are not something one takes advantage of, they are something one suffers with.  And celiac is even harder when the people around you blow it up as psychosomatic.  She had a verbal agreement on hours per week, and wound up expected to work twice that (to match DW's, who is in a lot of Show), her compensation was on par with others who were working the fewer hours, Studio and Show Owners got more for less $$$ (anyone who hasn't worked for a boss who demands more for less isn't paying attention).  

I will grant that her book was her POV, but again, celiac can gut your life, and because you don't "look" sick, people think you are a deadbeat.  And since the cause of the sickness is gluten, and most of our social interactions revolve around food, friends and co-workers get pissy about eating in or out with you, family members get offended that you think their special recipes are bad for you (or worse, your celiac child gets all the harmful food snuck to him by the "doting" elder relative as a treat).

If you don't get this, then consider fibromyalgia.  I had a neighbor who was a real go-getter in the government contracting field.  Then fibro slowly took over her life, her bosses thought she was gold-bricking, and now her disease is managed by the usual changing cornucopia of new wonder drugs, but she can't guarantee that any given day will be pain-free enough for her to work.  Bosses don't care.

DW is planning a long career in the business.  He's management.  However nice he may be or chooses to be, his job is to make the project profitable.  It can be done by treating people decently; it can be done by exploiting anyone powerless to push back.  Given the overall social theme of this show, decent treatment is an expendable line item.

Edited by kassygreene
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

As someone who has chronic health problems, an employer who doesn't think you're exaggerating to get time off, or plain don't care whether you are or not are like gold dust. Colleagues often think you're at it too because you 'look fine'. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I know accent wise we had friends that moved from upstate NY to Louisville Kentucky many years back. We don't think we have an accent, but people from the South think we do. But when we went to visit those friends in Kentucky 2 years later, the change in the 2 boys in school were amazing. They had quite the accent. The parents, who dad was a manager in a GE factory, and mom who was a secretary to a lawyer, had hardly a change. Ofcourse as time went by the parents aquired it also. But being young and around other teens and slang, I guess that is why the sons changed first. So Danny being on the street should pick it up faster. But being he lived there all his life you would think he and Erin and Jamie would all have it . But as stated above, Erin and Jamie went through law and maybe it did force them to pronunciate more correctly. And as we see that an actor like the Austrailian who plays Steve McGarrett on the new Hawaii 5-0 can sound American, why not have a person like Erin or Jamie learn through their work how not to sound NYCish??

Also as I have stated in the episode forums, that I would have thought that they could have let Jackie still work, but work less and maybe have her partner with either a new Detective, or one of the lady detectives that didn't make the grade for her replacement or have her be injured and have to do desk duty and help Danny and Baez from there? SVU follows a 2 team format, why not this? I do think Baez is the closest to Jackie from the list of dectectives that worked with Danny when Jackie was on vacation*. *I know her vacation is now on 2 years. But please then write in some story ending dialog. She transfered out of state, or she didn't recover from her storyline of why she took the time off to begin with? Just write in acouple throw away lines of her phone call to Danny, or the Sargent fills him in on her discision? But I would believe that with how close they were that she would call Danny.

Edited by webruce

to age difference between Selleck and Cariou, they are indeed very close in age but I think you just need to accept that go with it as they are both great actors and make it work as father and son.

Notice how Cariou makes him self older with wardrobe, and his mannerisms.

They both do a fine job.  IMO, best drama on network TV.  And Tom S is still a hot specimen of a man!  I had really hoped they would play out the chemistry that seemed obvious when Bebe Neuwrith had the guest run.  I want his character to have a happy personal life outside of the job.

• Love 1

I just caught, "Open Secrets" and I was really bored.  Perhaps it had to do with the fact that Danny had a rehash of an earlier storyline in which he is dogged by an unsolved missing child case, which parallels a current missing child case.  Just as in both episodes, he not only finds the current missing kid alive, he finds the older missing child (missing 6 years) in the same house!

When shows, no matter how much I enjoy them start recycling plots (Bewitched did this alot back in the day!) it's time to either find better writers or call it quits.

I just rewatched "The Life We Choose", when Danny's friend is killed in an undercover operation, and Henry and Nicky compete in a talent competition.  What the hell was with that cutesy baby singing voice that Sami was using??? 

I started to watch Reagan vs Reagan, before I remember how much I hated it.  Perhaps the worst television depiction of trial process - hearsay, leading the witness, redirect that is really just repeating what was said on direct rather than addressing new issues raised on cross...   And don't get me started on the personal snark between counsel that would not have tolerated for one second in any courtroom I have been in.

This is why I shouldn't watch legal shows.

I just rewatched "The Life We Choose", when Danny's friend is killed in an undercover operation,

That will be the first and last time I go to the set in January.  I was there when they shot the early scenes of that episode and it was FRIGID out.

Been watching reruns again. As I've said before, I've had a crush on Tom Selleck since his appearance on Rockford. I loved Thomas Magnum and every now and then something of his sense of humor peeps through. Miss that waggle of the eyebrows! And as said above Tom Selleck is a fine looking man. 

And I've thought about the accents thing again. I was raised in the suburbs of Kansas City, my brother was raised by the same parents in the same house and he affects the hickiest of hick accents. I do not, but I went to college, he didn't, I moved to Washington DC for many years and got rid of a lot of my regional speech patterns then. So I guess it makes sense that Danny spent more street time and service time while Erin & Jamie went to Harvard, so he has more of a street accent. But didn't he have to get a degree of some kind in order to make detective? Most law enforcement agencies in large cities require Bachelor's Degrees even in the rank and file. 

But didn't he have to get a degree of some kind in order to make detective? Most law enforcement agencies in large cities require Bachelor's Degrees even in the rank and file.

That depends.  One doesn't need a degree to make detective - usually it's about the busts you made while in uniform and taking exams for promotions.   

Also, degrees are not necessary for joining the force to begin with - depending on the department.  In my area, Metro is currently recruiting and all you need is a clean record and a HS diploma (not to knock people who don't have college degrees.  No degree doesn't necessarily mean ignorant).  Plus you start with 50K a year if you graduate the academy.  Not too shabby.

• Love 1

ok, thank you magicdog. maybe I'm confused with some PDs strongly encouraging degrees. And I didn't mean to infer that a degree meant a person was smarter. 

Edited to correct the thought and for additional thought. Degrees mean different things to different people in different lines of work. Fictional characters only, but could Sheldon, Leonard, Howard or Raj be a police officer? Oh hell no! Could Danny be a physicist? Oh hell no! As the Wizard of Oz told the scarecrow, a lot of people do an awful lot without brains, but what you need is a certificate. (or something like that, for some reason I haven't watched the Wizard of Oz lately)

Edited by friendperidot

As far as I know the NYPD does not require a college degree for recruitment.   Promotions to detective are based on merit.  However, promotions to higher ranks often go to those with a college degree.   I grew up in NYC but moved out of the city when I got married.  The police department in the next county from NYC on Long Island requires a two year associates degree.

• Love 1

Been watching reruns again. As I've said before, I've had a crush on Tom Selleck since his appearance on Rockford. I loved Thomas Magnum and every now and then something of his sense of humor peeps through. Miss that waggle of the eyebrows! And as said above Tom Selleck is a fine looking man. 

And I've thought about the accents thing again. I was raised in the suburbs of Kansas City, my brother was raised by the same parents in the same house and he affects the hickiest of hick accents. I do not, but I went to college, he didn't, I moved to Washington DC for many years and got rid of a lot of my regional speech patterns then. So I guess it makes sense that Danny spent more street time and service time while Erin & Jamie went to Harvard, so he has more of a street accent. But didn't he have to get a degree of some kind in order to make detective? Most law enforcement agencies in large cities require Bachelor's Degrees even in the rank and file. 

Hey, friendperidot, I was raised in Johnson County, Kansas (Prairie Village), and when my family moved to Paris at the age of 9, I was relentlessly mocked by the mostly New York-area-raised children at the school I attended there -- so I, too, lost the "hick" accent.  My parents were both raised in southwest Missouri but left after high school; they had a much more polished way of speaking than their siblings who remained in the Ozarks.  

Also, I adored James Garner since the first episode of Maverick waaaaay back when. Tom Selleck later on.  He is the only reason I watch Blue Bloods.  

• Love 1

I too only watch for Tom Selleck.  I keep planning to quit, but I've mastered the art of finding a recap, forwarding through the really cringe-worthy bits, and "watching" an episode in about 10 minutes, tops.  I don't like any of these characters (except Baker - <heart> Baker).  They are individually and collectively entitled - while being the honest hard-working descendents of good Irish cops.

Compare and contrast with Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries, set in NYC of the 1890s, for what used to be the culture of police work...  Also Caleb Carr's The Alienist.

I know Selleck is a good actor, because Thomas Magnum and Frank Reagan are from different universes.  One of those roles won an Emmy, so I guess we know which role required more effort.

Compare and contrast with Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries, set in NYC of the 1890s, for what used to be the culture of police work...

I love those books! Thanks to them, I knew why Frank had a picture of Theodore Roosevelt hanging in his office.

Seriously: Baker!

I second this!  I don't know if it has to do with the actress' demeanor or the limited characterization we've seen so far, but I feel like I just have to know more about her and what she can do.  

I really like the interactions between Frank and Garrett.

Ditto!  One of my favorite ones involve a moment in which the two are in Frank's office and Frank is in a touchy spot (as if we don't see this in many other eps!), and at some point he contemplates laying low for a while.  Garrett says he was going to get Frank a pair of glasses with the big nose and mustache for a disguise and then remarks, "but I see you've already done that!"   [cut to shot of Frank wearing his usual glasses staring at Garrett].   It was so subtle, but hilarious!  I couldn't help but wonder if that was a bit of improv on the actor's part when filming that scene.

• Love 1

I really wish we knew more of Baker's backstory. I would love to see a storyline in which someone who knows what an awesome cop Baker used to be (because you just know that she was) questions her role as Frank's glorified secretary. And somehow Frank figures out how important she is and acknowledges it.

• Love 1

I saw an episode from an earlier season - 3? perhaps, in which the actress playing Baker was visibly pregnant. They were taking no steps to hide it, but it wasn't mentioned it.  

We just found the show on Netflix and are catching up on the early seasons. I was surprised that they've been talking about Danny needing therapy for anger issues since the pilot!

• Love 1