Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Founder's Mutation

This episode made me sad. I'm one of those that wants to know about William. Well I'm not so sure that I actually want to know what happened to William if it's bad but I do want to see that Mulder and Scully think about William even though I sat there a good 5 minutes after the episode too sad to move.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 3

I thought it was funny, and so in character, when Scully ran up to William getting into the ambulance and explained things all science like, naming the specific bone he broke and everything. Which, I don't think the emt's would let just hang on the edge of the gurney like that. Shouldn't it be wrapped and protected somehow?

And neither of their dreams got past the age of about 11 or so. He looked a wee bit older than my youngest, who is 10.

A thought occurs. Mind-reading kid's "mom" denies the FBI an interview because he's a minor, and not quite normal on top of that. But she's not his biological mom, and might not be his legal guardian either, since she seems to have found him as an ambulatory fetus by the side of the road. But the janitorial service apparently sends him to clean up at a DOD facility so highly classified that even the FBI is told they can't know what's going on there. So how the heck did an impaired minor of uncertain parentage pass a background check strict enough to allow him to work at an ultra-high-security facility? But then, they also didn't know that letter-opener-ear-guy was gay, so perhaps their security isn't all that great after all. 

Things I was reminded about by the recap:

What's with the ape theme? One of the Planet of the Apes movies was running at the hospital, and Mulder was watching 2001 with daydream-William. 

Also, the delightful line from Agnes about not wanting to be left with the sheep. :D 

Edited by Ghost of TWOP Past
  • Love 1

I liked it. The teaser was fantastic with the birds, and the pencil scratching, and then he jams that letter opener in his ear and i actually cringed.  I can watch F. Emasculata and eat dinner, so I'm not squeamish in the least, usually.

One thing I don't get is, they figured out it was the kid causing it because he was the janitor one floor up when Sanjay was hearing the sound and killing himself.  How did Mulder hear the sound in Sanjay's apartment? 

I liked the fantasy scenes and thought they were well done, but thought their placement in the episode was weird. I would've liked to leave William out of this, but since they went there, now I want to know where he is by the end of the six episodes.  I kind of hate how Scully always refers to him as hers rather than ours.  Clearly, Mulder is the father, and he's standing right there.  Ours. 

As for their voices, maybe they both had colds or were just raspy from speaking so  much since it was the 5th episode filmed and they were probably fried by then? I actually thought Skinner sounded a little raspy too, but that might just be me.  Either way it was annoying.  Now I need to turn up the brightness AND the volume? 

The doctor's wife had a very creepy/weird jaw and it took me out of everything she said.

Scully worked in that hospital for 7 years and didn't know anything weird was going on?  That's odd, considering she's an X-File magnet.  I knew from IWTB that it was a creepy hospital.  At least this time, Mulder got some proof from the kid's blood vial. 

Scully still does not have her name on the door of the redone X-Files office.  What the hell, show? 

I kind of hate how Scully always refers to him as hers rather than ours.  Clearly, Mulder is the father, and he's standing right there.  Ours.

Very annoying writing, yet I'm trying to be sympathetic to those who had to work under CC's mandate of coy bullshit as to paternity the first time around; "my" rather than "ours" may be a reflex.  (Although Wong was gone by then.)

Scully still does not have her name on the door of the redone X-Files office.  What the hell, show?

Or a desk, right?

How did Mulder hear the sound in Sanjay's apartment?

Was Kyle nearby, just like when it happened to Mulder again at Kyle's house?  Mulder says something to him about "like when I was at Sanjay's apartment" when he's talking to Kyle about his abilities, but I can't remember the specifics.

• Love 1

I couldn't help actually laughing when I saw this. Mulder's got a full on desk up and a name plate and Scully still presumably just has "her area" wherever that is now.  

I mean, really. It can't even be written off as Mulder being the senior agent at this point.

• Love 2

Lester from Chuck wanting to give Mulder a blowjob! That was great.

Showing Scully and Mulder's fantasies about their child. Fuck you show. That was not cool.

I'm the reverse. Didn't like that blowjob joke at all. Thought it was unnecessary.

Didn't mind the fantasies. Thought I wouldn't like them before, but honestly they were the strength of this episode. 

I liked it. The teaser was fantastic with the birds, and the pencil scratching, and then he jams that letter opener in his ear and i actually cringed.  I can watch F. Emasculata and eat dinner, so I'm not squeamish in the least, usually.

One thing I don't get is, they figured out it was the kid causing it because he was the janitor one floor up when Sanjay was hearing the sound and killing himself.  How did Mulder hear the sound in Sanjay's apartment? 

I liked the fantasy scenes and thought they were well done, but thought their placement in the episode was weird. I would've liked to leave William out of this, but since they went there, now I want to know where he is by the end of the six episodes.  I kind of hate how Scully always refers to him as hers rather than ours.  Clearly, Mulder is the father, and he's standing right there.  Ours. 

As for their voices, maybe they both had colds or were just raspy from speaking so  much since it was the 5th episode filmed and they were probably fried by then? I actually thought Skinner sounded a little raspy too, but that might just be me.  Either way it was annoying.  Now I need to turn up the brightness AND the volume? 

The doctor's wife had a very creepy/weird jaw and it took me out of everything she said.

Scully worked in that hospital for 7 years and didn't know anything weird was going on?  That's odd, considering she's an X-File magnet.  I knew from IWTB that it was a creepy hospital.  At least this time, Mulder got some proof from the kid's blood vial. 

They were sick, supposedly. Also noticed that their chemistry was MIA. It was really striking.

The kid was close to Sanjay's apartment.  He's the one that Scully almost hit with the car when they were leaving. 

• Love 3

I thought it interesting that the ape movie that Mulder & William watched was the same as the movie that was on in the hospital. Foreshadowing that William is special or just apart of Mulders subconscious.

But will Scully really keep working there after everything that's happened?

But man I am so used to binge watching shows that a week away seems like eternity. How did I manage back in the day?

Happy to read all the enthusiasm on Twitter over the show. I had my doubts since the movie tanked but IMO, it's always been more of a TV genre.

• Love 1

I don't remember it well. Did the show state back in the day that William was Mulder's? I mean, I know she wasn't having sex with anyone else, it's just I think she thought that maybe there wasn't a father or something like that? That, and the fact that he had to run away right after that, might explain why he doesn't correct Scully when she talks about her baby.  Mulder would have been a father to him anyway, but he didn't have the chance.

Watching this show again is too awesome for words. I love them so much I can't be objective, I'm just happy to have them back.

• Love 1

"Home" was one of the freakiest shows ever to me. I had nightmares about that one. This new episode didn't come close to the creep factor of Home.

Home is the only episode I couldn't rewatch before the new series. It freaked me out then and I can't bring myself to see it now.

I believe Fox also had never rerun that episode due to the content..

• Love 1

I don't remember it well. Did the show state back in the day that William was Mulder's? I mean, I know she wasn't having sex with anyone else, it's just I think she thought that maybe there wasn't a father or something like that? That, and the fact that he had to run away right after that, might explain why he doesn't correct Scully when she talks about her baby.  Mulder would have been a father to him anyway, but he didn't have the chance.

Watching this show again is too awesome for words. I love them so much I can't be objective, I'm just happy to have them back.

In the typical quasi-fashion of the show. Back then, CC & Co. played coy with the whole who's the daddy plot-having everyone call it Scully's baby and even when Scully was in the hospital with the placenta break, the nurse asks if Mulder is the husband(instead of asking if he's the father like in RL hospitals). 

It was kind of addressed in the Season 8 finale when Scully tells Mulder she named William after his(Fox's) father . After the show ended, Frank Spotnitz acknowledged that Mulder was the father. However, CC has never said yes or no.  So.friggin.annoying.

Of course, Skinner, shipper that he is, always thought Mulder was the father.

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 4

Home is the only episode I couldn't rewatch before the new series. It freaked me out then and I can't bring myself to see it now.

They did. And gave it an MA rating.

• Love 2

Or a desk, right?

I've given up on Scully ever having a desk.

I couldn't help actually laughing when I saw this. Mulder's got a full on desk up and a name plate and Scully still presumably just has "her area" wherever that is now.  

I mean, really. It can't even be written off as Mulder being the senior agent at this point.

Right. Her whole "area" because there's not enough space for two desks unless they push them together and play Battleship. Ugh.

The kid was close to Sanjay's apartment.  He's the one that Scully almost hit with the car when they were leaving. 

Oooh, I missed that entirely. Must've been distracted by the Ford ad immediately preceding that. Thanks!

• Love 2

So the names "Sanjay" and "Gupta" were obviously a shout out or reference to Sanjay Gupta, neurosurgeon, talk show host, and almost-Surgeon General, right? Was he a fan? Or did he diss the show?

I've only watched a smattering of X-Files episodes, but my oldest daughter, her best friend, and her ex-fiancé were rabid fans, so I was aware of the phenomena. Still, I had to come here to be sure that Mulder and Scully really did give up William as a baby, because that wasn't as clear as it should have been.

The JFK impersonation was the highlight for me.

About the raspy voices: Yes, it could be colds or hay fever or cigarettes, but my father's beautiful baritone was almost inaudible by his death at 91. The doctor had diagnosed it as a form of acid reflux, but it turned out to be from Parkinson's, which is what killed him. I doubt DD or GA have Parkinson's, but the reason Parkinson's effected my father's voice in the same way was because it prevented his vocal chords from vibrating. I would guess Botox could have the same side effect, and although I didn't think either DD or GA were overly Botoxed, it seems likely that they had some, especially near the beginning of filming a show that is catering to an audience that remembers them when they were practically just kids. Anyway, that's what went through my mind while GA spoke, and it made me sad.

Edited by shapeshifter

About the raspy voices: Yes, it could be colds or hay fever or cigarettes, but my father's beautiful baritone was almost inaudible by his death at 91. The doctor had diagnosed it as a form of acid reflux, but it turned out to be from Parkinson's, which is what killed him. I doubt DD or GA have Parkinson's, but the reason Parkinson's effected my father's voice in the same way was because it prevented his vocal chords from vibrating. I would guess Botox could have the same side effect, and although I didn't think either DD or GA were overly Botoxed, it seems likely that they had some, especially near the beginning of filming a show that is catering to an audience that remembers them when they were practically just kids. Anyway, that's what went through my mind while GA spoke, and it made me sad.

I honestly think the quiet raspy-ness is an artistic choice by the actors. As though they're so burdened and weary they can barely speak.  I say this only because in interviews they both sound totally normal and not raspy at all.  

• Love 5
However, CC has never said yes or no [about Mulder being the father].  So.friggin.annoying.

In IWTB - written by CC and Frank Spotnitz - Mulder and/or Scully refer to William as "our son."  I think it was Mulder, but that movie is kind of crap, so I haven't re-watched it in a long time.

I honestly think the quiet raspy-ness is an artistic choice by the actors. As though they're so burdened and weary they can barely speak.  I say this only because in interviews they both sound totally normal and not raspy at all.

And because it comes and goes in the episode.  I, too, think it's an acting choice, and it worked for me in the first episode because it was more judiciously used.  Here it was too much.

Edited by Bastet

In IWTB - written by CC and Frank Spotnitz - Mulder and/or Scully refer to William as "our son."

Yes, and in "The Truth" Scully says "our son" to Mulder when he's in the military prison.  And Mulder tells the soldier he's thinking "about my son and his mother."  

• Love 3

Yes, and in "The Truth" Scully says "our son" to Mulder when he's in the military prison.  And Mulder tells the soldier he's thinking "about my son and his mother."  

Exactly. So what was said in this episode almost seemed like a partial step back, even if it wasn't meant to be one.

In IWTB - written by CC and Frank Spotnitz - Mulder and/or Scully refer to William as "our son."  I think it was Mulder, but that movie is kind of crap, so I haven't re-watched it in a long time.

And because it comes and goes in the episode.  I, too, think it's an acting choice, and it worked for me in the first episode because it was more judiciously used.  Here it was too much.

I didn't think it was an acting choice. I think they were both sick during this ep. Their chemistry didn't come across at all during it. It felt oddly off here.

• Love 1

I didn't think it was an acting choice. I think they were both sick during this ep. Their chemistry didn't come across at all during it. It felt oddly off here.

Oh interesting.  I'm feeling the chemistry all through this season so far. That scene really knocked me back w/ Mulder being so openly declarative and as honest as he could be about whatever his concerns were while hiding the depth of his own grief / loss. 

• Love 1

Oh interesting.  I'm feeling the chemistry all through this season so far. That scene really knocked me back w/ Mulder being so openly declarative and as honest as he could be about whatever his concerns were while hiding the depth of his own grief / loss. 

I did through ep 1. As for that open declarative scene... it felt at least to me, like he was reading it from a cue card. At least compared to what he said in the Truth (the who are you thinking about scene -- 'about my son and his mother') and what he said in IWTB. It was just rather jarring. 

Their chemistry didn't seem any different to me in this episode.

Maybe they were both sick, and maybe that exacerbated or even solely caused what was going on with their voices, but it seemed at least in part deliberate to me because it came and went not from scene to scene, e.g. if it was present for all the scenes shot on sets A and B, but not in any of the scenes shot on sets C and D - as if they were sick on the filming days for the former and getting better (or not yet sick) on the days they shot the latter - but from line to line, like a deliberate means of emphasis.  And she, at least, was like that in the first episode (which was shot several weeks apart from this one), too, just nowhere near as frequently.

At any rate, it was the quiet talking and mumbling that bothered me more (and that was listening through a high-quality AVR and good speakers; a friend who was watching through the internal speaker of a somewhat old TV was having a terrible time understanding many pieces of dialogue).  Part of it was my hearing, but part of it was them because I don't normally have that kind of trouble.

I don't remember noticing any of these issues in the third episode, so if it was there it wasn't distracting.

Ah. I see. Glad it seems to get better in the third ep. My eyes started to glaze over when I watched this for some reason. Outside of the scary scenes and the William related flashbacks.

It didn't seem deliberate to me, but if it was... it kind of fell flat to me. :\

On a slight OT note-anyone notice the extra playing Dr. Goldman's assistant/secretary. Talk about making the most of your 15 seconds with a sassy walk LOL. I do wonder if she had more lines since the way the camera framed her and her "sexy" walk, I thought there'd be more interaction. 

Also Scully and "lifestyle choices"-hello 2001.

Finally, I'm beginning to think Ford paid a pretty penny to Fox since every shot of a FBI car has a big old Ford sign on the front. Or else it will be part of the vast fast-food alien global climate change conspiracy.

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 5

'The Host', featuring Flukie, was one of my favourite episodes. Also one of the more realistic ones as a creature/mutation such as him could exist. Pollution, radiation, sludge, yep.

I recall that a lot of stuff didn't get past the Fox censors.

I remember that for a while it got pulled from the syndication and reruns cycle but eventually it returned.  So creepy. I scarred for life a preteen I was helping babysit. She and her friend wanted something scary and I made a tiny suggestion.  Five years later she still brought it up.   Sorry Ashley!   

• Love 1

Much improved from yesterdays episode! 

Mulder and Scully having fantasies about raising their kids hit me right in the feels Of course Mulder would dream about showing his kid 2001. I do wonder if we will get to actually meet William sometime.

Poor Skinner. Its been years and he is still stuck sitting at his desk, telling Mulder and Scully to at least TRY to be subtle damn it. I do hope we get more Skinner in our next installment.  

• Love 1

Just rewatched with Mr. Phile. I must have imagined Scully being more diagnosey with William, I thought she named off bones and whatnot. Loved the slo-mo with the glass breaking at the hospital. Also, Mulder pilfering evidence left and right just like old times!

I guess in the era of smartphones and caller ID, we're not going to get "Mulder it's me" anymore? I need it at least once! And when Scully started the autopsy and said "probably cause of death" I desperately wanted her to add "gee, that's a tough one". But she has no sense of humor right now. Find it, Scully!!

• Love 1

They could contrive some use for Scully to have to use a payphone or someone's home phone.

Given what Gillian's done since, I love that, out of all the guest stars they could have brought back, they brought back the lady who played her psychiatrist in Irresistible.

• Love 5

Vast improvement. It felt like a traditional episode with the added character beats of them being older, somewhat worn down by loss, life, their sacrifices and in a way, their different personalities. I liked it because I just always ran with their logic of hiding William because looking for logic in the X-files will drive you mad especially in the later seasons and I haven't seen anything beyond season 7 since I don't remember. So, I enjoy that they addressed the repercussions of giving William away.

While I was rather bored with the first episode, I went: already over? when I saw the end credits. So, I take that as a good sign. I do hope they address why Skinner is still at his old desk, though. It seems odd. Some character development would be nice to see for him too.

Burst vessels in eyes freak me out completely, so I could barely watch the teaser. Well done, show!

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 2

Seems kind of an obvious thing that I should have pointed out earlier, but I realized one thing that I liked so much about this episode is that with very few exceptions, Mulder and Scully are together in virtually every scene. We don't have the traditional cut-aways to whatever the guest stars or the MOTWs are actually doing. Most of the new information that propels the case forward comes from information received by both of them or discussed by both of them or if they are meeting with the founder or the telekinetic kid they are doing it together.  The only scenes they are not together are when Scully is doing the autopsy while Mulder is nearly getting blown in the gay bar.  And, of course, they have their own independent dream sequences. 

It's been a very long time since a MOTW episode gave that much time to just Mulder and Scully, to be honest.  Definitely in S8, when Mulder was returned, there was almost no room for him in some of those MOTWs.  

For now, this is a refreshing change and since the only reason Mulder and Scully are even at the FBI at this point is because their mission is entirely personal, I hope it stays that way as much as possible. 

• Love 1
Damn you X-Files, I was all ready for a MOTW and then you had to throw in William with not just Scully but Mulder too?

That took it over the top for me. How both of them miss him every day. The day he went to school, the day we watched 2001, the day he was in a bike accident...all the days they didn't get to have. And how each of them have not only their own fantasy of the family they never got to build, but how that family would have been destroyed--Scully with the idea of the mutation coming out, visiting on her son the sins of her violators, and Mulder reliving the worst night of his life, again, with no more idea then he had so many years ago as to why, why this was happening. No wonder they ended up leaving each other--their love was floating on top of everything that was done to them, and everything they feared was still coming.

(When they showed that both of them had the same picture I said out loud "OF COURSE Scully would make sure he has that. It's the only picture they have of him. She would never let him be without it." Then I cried.)

As to the ep itself--the plot, again, felt only about two thirds full, like a couple of connecting scenes were cut for time. I did like Skinner barely waiting for the door to close before dropping the bullshit and saying you got copies, right? And it's old home week. And them in their old office with the newly rigged up screens and stuff! And Mulder just palming evidence left and right because how long has he been doing this? Please. 

I am a bit curious as to where the Wonder Twins went off to and what they're planning to do--wouldn't it be pretty dangerous to go back to his adopted mom? And what about the rest of those poor children? I did like how they didn't hesitate one second before putting their dad down like a rabid dog--NOPE, old man, not even.

• Love 4
Seems kind of an obvious thing that I should have pointed out earlier, but I realized one thing that I liked so much about this episode is that with very few exceptions, Mulder and Scully are together in virtually every scene.

Yeah, I noted that as one of my favorite things, too, and it was really one of of my favorite things.

Given what Gillian's done since, I love that, out of all the guest stars they could have brought back, they brought back the lady who played her psychiatrist in Irresistible.

Oh wow, I thought Sister Mary looked familiar, but I did not place her as Karen Kosseff.

Yeah, I noted that as one of my favorite things, too, and it was really one of of my favorite things.

Oh wow, I thought Sister Mary looked familiar, but I did not place her as Karen Kosseff.

Sorry, Bastet, I guess I missed you saying that or else I wouldn't have repeated.  I think your commentary has been great overall.

I eventually placed her as Karen Kosseff but not before first thinking she was Eve #6.  <---- And that really isn't a compliment. 

• Love 1
Sorry, I was confused at the S rating (for sexual situations) it never even occurred to me that a man hitting on Mulder might be offensive.

Well, I would guess that a lady person offering a beej would result in similar ratings. :) That whole scene I was all "this is a gay pickup!" and then BOOM it was a gay pickup! Love how Mulder the Porn King is so oblivious to that kind of thing.

• Love 2

I only watched the original run occasionally until the last couple of years, at which time I became one of those deplorable fans who was mainly interested in the development of Scully and Mulder's relationship. (And the funny bits. The "Cops" episode is one of my treasures on tape.) Therefore, I was watching closely just where they were in that development in each episode, after kissing for the first time in the first movie. And I distinctly remember that Scully getting pregnant with William was a mystery. When they later started saying Mulder was the biological father, I shrugged and said "Oh, okay", taking that as part of the mystery, because, as far as I could tell, the whole pregnancy and birth happened long before S&M ever slept together. (They were about to do so in the last scene of the last episode!)

If this is correct (I may be overlooking something, as I am not an avid superfan who remembers everything), that explains all the hedging and fudging about "my baby" and "our baby", and just how they conceived William without actually having had sex yet is a thing I thought might be revealed in some ultimate episode. It ought to be an element of the alien or evil-elite conspiracy, or the self-sacrificial aliens saving us from the evil elite, by putting their DNA together to make just the right superbaby when they were dragging their feet. Will this be addressed in this clump of episodes? I hope to see where and what William is now and what role he plays.

But, in modern pop-culture terms, nobody should worry about the silliness or futility of their giving up their baby for his safety. Of course it worked!! Remember, they gave him to a tribe of Native Americans!!! American Indians, the repository of infinite wisdom and arcane powers for good!!! (If only they had had those powers in real life in the 16th-19th centuries.) I always assumed he was safe and fine.

It took me a little while to get the exact character right too. At first I was thinking she was the crazy psychic from Syzygy (I want to say Madam Zirinka or something?), but then I realised she was Delores the temp agency lady from Dead Like Me.

The episode didn't reflect well on gay men -- within one minute of meeting, the gay guy's trying to blow Mulder in the bathroom.   I have no idea how close to reality the scene was, but it seems to play right into homophobic stereotypes.    It felt like a cheap laugh at the expense of the gay community.

For me, the episode never truly caught fire.   It felt like a sampler of previous episodes -- even the nun looked like Eve 6, from another episode in which mutant kids were kept locked behind doors.

I like that Mulder and Scully are scarred by life.   The world is different today than during the golden days of the series.   We're all older.   We've been through war and recession, we live under the constant threat of terrorism, you can't even go to the mall or the movies anymore without a "what-if" involving a gunman crossing your mind.    I don't know about anyone else, but life is a lot harder for me today than it was back then.  And the future?   We've got monster storms, record-breaking heat and cold ... ISIS ... Donald Trump on the rise, along with Ted Cruz,  Sarah Palin ...  I feel like we've lost something these last fifteen years, and whatever it is -- hope, maybe? -- I see that loss and regret in Mulder's and Scully's faces.  I hear the fatigue in their voices.   It all rings true -- and familiar.

But, in modern pop-culture terms, nobody should worry about the silliness or futility of their giving up their baby for his safety. Of course it worked!! Remember, they gave him to a tribe of Native Americans!!! American Indians, the repository of infinite wisdom and arcane powers for good!!! (If only they had had those powers in real life in the 16th-19th centuries.) I always assumed he was safe and fine.

William was adopted by a salt-of-the-earth, childless Christian couple.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

"The problem I'm having with the William stuff is I have a hard time believing that Mulder or Scully, knowing what they know and having seen what they've seen, have any reason to believe that having William adopted anonymously actually saved him from whatever danger he would have been with them. The aliens can't find him? The vast government conspiracy can't track him?

I fully expect to find out that CSM has raised William as his grandson all this time."

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't care! THEY'RE BAAAACK! I get another four hours of my all-time favorite show! Episode 2 packed a lot of stuff in there! Loved their individual musings of what would have been with their son, William. I'm hoping we get to see William by the time this ends.

I'm hoping that this 6-episode "tasting" is a test to see if they can resurrect the series, perhaps centering around their son, William, carrying on their work and seeking the truth? Or maybe setting the stage for another XF movie?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the CSM killed off near the end of the series? I could have sworn he died ... or didn't he?

Edited by ChattyCathyLA
  • Love 3

Remember, they gave him to a tribe of Native Americans!!!

I thought they gave him to a couple named Van De Camp.  Were they Native Americans?  I assumed they were some kind of Midwesterners.

I'm not sure what was up with the voices.  During the first episode, I kept thinking that Mulder sounded like Harrison Ford (current-day grandpa-voiced Harrison Ford, not young Han Solo) and assumed his voice has just aged.  Gillian could have had a cold, but also it could have been from switching her accent back and forth.  If you watch her on U.K. talk shows, not only does she switch back into her childhood accent, but the sound and tone of her voice is different from what it was on the X-Files in the 90's.

• Love 1

I thought they were from Virginia (I remember one of the criticisms being that if you were going to hide him from aliens in the US government, you'd normally pick somewhere much further away), but there was definitely the 1990s Mystical Native American white buffalo symbolism throughout that episode.

I didn't mind the "no desk, no name plate" part. It was part of the nostalgic package just like the pencils, and I liked it.

When they later started saying Mulder was the biological father, I shrugged and said "Oh, okay", taking that as part of the mystery, because, as far as I could tell, the whole pregnancy and birth happened long before S&M ever slept together.

Canon at the end of season 9 was that William was Mulder's child and was conceived in "all things", GA's season 7 episode, where you can see how Scully gets dressed in Mulder's bathroom and looks at a sleeping (possibly naked) Mulder in his bed before leaving.

"The problem I'm having with the William stuff is I have a hard time believing that Mulder or Scully, knowing what they know and having seen what they've seen, have any reason to believe that having William adopted anonymously actually saved him from whatever danger he would have been with them. The aliens can't find him? The vast government conspiracy can't track him?

This.

I'm fully aware that the story is full of logical errors, but for some reason this one, to me,  is much too glaring to get past it.

Edited by ksb
  • Love 1

Since one of the last shots is of Mulder showing Scully the vial of blood from Kyle, I wouldn't be surprised if the sibling story isn't finished as they were experimented on just like Sveta's babies, etc. I'm sensing this is the theme. I also wouldn't be surprised if William isn't part of the cliffhanger indirectly. 

My theory is that CSM knows where William is at. After being flame by a heat seeking missle and looking better then ever and living in a much more luxurious place than than crappy apartment of the series complete with fireplace, finding the kid would be easy. And it would allow him to continue to play mind games with Mulder. Worst.father.ever. 

I wonder what kind of relationship Carter has with his own family since most of the X-Files parents are pretty crappy. The only good one seems to be the sainted Ma Scully-Mr. Scully died too quick to really know him. The Mulders' blamed their son and were quite cold to him, we never even saw Gibson Praise's parents but the didn't seem to care about him either. So I guess the moral is never be a parent as you will only end up ruining your kids life.

Finally-a nice clip from James Wong talking about writing the episode and his insights into the characters: https://youtu.be/pZdKuQ-h2sM

Edited by Tardislass

The kids aren't twins. Molly was two when Kyle was sliced out of his mother's abdomen after her car crash. Which came as a direct result of realizing her husband, Goldman, had experimented on their daughter.

And while rewatching last night, I realized something. That photograph of baby William isn't one they both have. Scully gave Mulder hers, if you look close its the exact same photograph, with the exact same wear spots and bent corners. Scully realized that while Mulder said he has put it behind him, he also said he thinks about William all the time. He needed a picture because he probably didn't have one. She gave hers to him. YOU KNOW, SCULLY, IF YOU'D JUST MOVE BACK IN YOU COULD FRAME THE PICTURE AND SHARE IT.

Where does Scully live anyway? We haven't seen that yet.

Edited by DaynaPhile
  • Love 7