Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Founder's Mutation

MULDER AND SCULLY INVESTIGATE A DOCTOR WITH UNSCRUPULOUS PRACTICES ON PART TWO OF THE TWO-NIGHT SEASON PREMIERE OF "THE X-FILES" MONDAY, JANUARY 25, ON FOX

Doug Savant ("Desperate Housewives," "Melrose Place") Guest-Stars; Episode Written and Directed by James Wong

When a scientist suddenly commits suicide, Mulder and Scully investigate what unseen force may have driven him to it. What they uncover is a laboratory where extreme genetic experimentation has been going on for decades, breeding subjects who possess unexpected and dangerous powers - and who harbor deep resentments in the all-new "Founder's Mutation" season premiere, part two, episode of THE X-FILES airing Monday, Jan. 25 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (XF-1005) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Sourcehttp://www.spoilertv.com/2016/01/the-x-files-episode-1002-founders.html

This is your topic to talk about episode 2 of the new 6 part series of the X-Files.

• Love 1

I might be forgetful about some details. Did we see Mulder & Scully get their badges back? I know their was talk between Skinner & Mulder, but I don't remember any formal reinstatement.

Not seeing any of the suspense building that characterized the original show.  Except for the weirdness, it doesn't look much different than the first half of a Law & Order episode.

• Love 4

Tee hee, just got a good laugh out of the rating... Suggestive dialogue, sexual situations... I know, I know it probably doesn't mean a thing... but my inner teenager just came out there for a bit XD.

Heh, Mulder almost got a BJ. Sorry Gupta, the only guy Mulder is interested in having sex with (outside of fanfiction, natch) is named Fox Mulder.

I might be forgetful about some details. Did we see Mulder & Scully get their badges back? I know their was talk between Skinner & Mulder, but I don't remember any formal reinstatement.

They just showed CSM announcing that "They've re-opened the X-Files."

Much, much better. Starts out with a dude stabbing himself in the brain. Now that's the X-Files I remember. Freak(s) of the week, but tying in to the overall arc. So what was the pitch, "What if Carrie had a brother?"

Kyle Gilligan. Cute, show.

• Love 6

Damn you X-Files, I was all ready for a MOTW and then you had to throw in William with not just Scully but Mulder too? Sob, it's bringing back Season 9 feels.

But this was so much better than Ep1. Scully slapping the latex, creepy kids and of course Mulder in pain. I'm on board and staying till the end. Still wasn't like the best of episodes but everyone seemed more themselves.

Although what is with GA whispering..

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 3

Thanks, aimingforyoko. I totally forgot about that exchange. I think I was too focused on CSM's Phantom of the Opera mask.

ETA: I'm looking forward to next week's Kolchak tribute.

Edited by revbfc

OK, point of clarification, please: I thought Scully and Mulder said that their son was given up as a baby. So are those scenes them imagining what it would have been like...or did I misunderstand how long they had their child with them?

• Love 3

OK, point of clarification, please: I thought Scully and Mulder said that their son was given up as a baby. So are those scenes them imagining what it would have been like...or did I misunderstand how long they had their child with them?

Yes, they were fantasy "What ifs".

• Love 3

Excellent episode. Good for some closure. M&S were both introspective. It worked very well, IMO.

Agreed not so much about the closure but that the team was back. Plus we got to see that Mulder does in fact think of William-despite what he tells Scully.

Loved the little shoutout to Vince Gilligan with Kyle's last name. This was surprisingly more emotional than the CC one. 

• Love 4

I'm glad Mulder was shown to have William's baby photo as well.  I was a little annoyed by Scully's "A mother never forgets" line because fathers presumably love their children too. 

Much better than episode one.  I've got to ask though.  Both Duchovny and Andersen seem to be speaking with hoarse voices.  Is that an acting choice, are they both sick, or do they both really sound like that now?

• Love 5

I liked it but I'm confused by the William parts. Was that just Mulder and Scully thinking about how things could have been? Was the fact that it ended wrong in both dreams/visions just their guilt manifesting? Or (since it is The X-Files) was William reaching out to Mulder and Scully?

• Love 2

I got a bit misty during the "what if" moments with William I will admit. And Mulder and Scully looked younger during those scenes. Not sure if it was lighting, on purpose because they would have been younger with a young William , or on purpose to show how much being without William wears on them... But I saw it.

MUCH better than last night. But I think that porch scene killed Sunday's ep for me.

• Love 7

Heh, Mulder almost got a BJ. Sorry Gupta, the only guy Mulder is interested in having sex with (outside of fanfiction, natch) is named Fox Mulder.

They just showed CSM announcing that "They've re-opened the X-Files."

Much, much better. Starts out with a dude stabbing himself in the brain. Now that's the X-Files I remember. Freak(s) of the week, but tying in to the overall arc. So what was the pitch, "What if Carrie had a brother?"

Kyle Gilligan. Cute, show.

Word. And Scully. That was just unneeded.

Am not a huge fan of this episode so far.

• Love 1

I liked it but I'm confused by the William parts. Was that just Mulder and Scully thinking about how things could have been? Was the fact that it ended wrong in both dreams/visions just their guilt manifesting? Or (since it is The X-Files) was William reaching out to Mulder and Scully?

I read it as their fantasy, probably from dealing with those children and their guilt. And yes both looked younger than in RL-intentionally.

• Love 1

Plus we got to see that Mulder does in fact think of William-despite what he tells Scully

And that both Mulder and Scully are both projecting their own alien related drama on William's imagined future.  Scully that he was experimented on.  Mulder that he'd be taken just like his sister.

• Love 7

Really enjoyed this one despite having plotholes and can't wait until next week's Morgan penned episode. 

I'd love the X-Files to return if CC couldn't write anymore episodes. He just doesn't seem to get the characters or the show anymore. Could Fox buy him out?

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 1

One other thing.  I had to go listen to JFK's moon speech because Mulder was doing a JFK impression during that scene with William.  I haven't heard anyone say 'decade' with that pronunciation since Mick Jagger in an SNL skit.  And yeah,  Mulder was definitely doing a JFK impression and not just the speech.

• Love 6

I'm nearly two hours away from its airing here, but I'm spoiling myself so I can see just how annoyed I'm going to be by the William crap.  Carry on ...

Honestly, it's surprisingly well done-except for Scully's "my baby" and Mulder's seemingly indifference..which is not really the case. JMO

I was more happy to see Pathologist Scully and Skinner with his two crazy kids..who incidentally now look as old as he does. 

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 4

The problem I'm having with the William stuff is I have a hard time believing that Mulder or Scully, knowing what they know and having seen what they've seen, have any reason to believe that having William adopted anonymously actually saved him from whatever danger he would have been with them.  The aliens can't find him?  The vast government conspiracy can't track him?

I fully expect to find out that CSM has raised William as his grandson all this time.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 13

Am I the only one who thought of that 70's movie The Fury with the psychic twins Amy Irving and Andrew Stevens and how it ended with Amy making the evil doctor John Cassevetes bleed from the eyes and then his entire head exploded?

• Love 7

OK, TA Son says that the real conspiracy here is that there are not 6 new X Files, there are actually 7. If you get the same commercials we get, it is clear that the seventh XFile is the brainwashing by Ford to make the entire American viewing public think that some how they control the weather if they drive a Ford. TASon says this conspiracy has already infiltrated the XFiles production team which only skips the inevitable driving through a thunderstorm commercial if Scully and Mulder pull up in a Ford during the next segment of the show. hmmmmmmmmmmm......

Edited by Lorimac
  • Love 4

The problem I'm having with the William stuff is I have a hard time believing that Mulder or Scully, knowing what they know and having seen what they've seen, have any reason to believe that having William adopted anonymously actually saved him from whatever danger he would have been with them.  The aliens can't find him?  The vast government conspiracy can't track him?

I fully expect to find out that CSM has raised William as his grandson all this time.

I railed against that stupid plot line since William but who will listen.  As for the aliens finding him, I thought the whole mythology reboot meant that aliens were never doing what Mulder thought they were. As for the govt not being able to track him...Sure, fine, whatever. But I'm choosing to enjoy what I can, and if CC&co want to put in a little angst than so be it. 

I'd prefer it to the Baby Jesus nonsense of the last two seasons-where William was the savior or the destroyer of humanity.

• Love 1

Agree on both their voices being oddly hoarse, especially Gillian's. I even looked on Teitter to see if others were noticing it because I really wondered if it was just me (it wasn't).

I did laugh out loud when Mulder and Scully were talking to the administrator at the (Catholic) hospital to try and get to the creepy company founder, and said that the hospital might be under investigation, and Mulder just smirked and said, "Obamacare" with a knowing sigh. Ha! (As context, I work in healthcare, and *everything* is now blamed on the ACA, even policies that were in place during the first Bush Administration practically, so it got a real laugh from me).

Edited by formergr
  • Love 10

Much better than episode one. I've got to ask though. Both Duchovny and Andersen seem to be speaking with hoarse voices. Is that an acting choice, are they both sick, or do they both really sound like that now

Couch Hubby actually asked if Gilian Anderson had survived throat cancer, or if she always sounded that way.

Edited by Lorimac
  • Love 2

OK, TA Son says that the real conspiracy here is that there are not 6 new X Files, there are actually 7. If you get the same commercials we get, it is clear that the seventh XFile is the brainwashing by Ford to make the entire American viewing public think that some how they control the weather if they drive a Ford. TASon says this conspiracy has already infiltrated the XFiles production team which only skips the inevitable driving through a thunderstorm commercial if Scully and Mulder pull up in a Ford during the next segment of the show. hmmmmmmmmmmm......

I've had the strangest urge to drive a Ford lately...

As for the raspiness-I wondered if it was the effect of cigarettes or else everyone caught a cold.

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 1

I know I'm in the minority but imo that was insultingly crappy.

I have to agree. The case of the week was just not good.

William was kind of the elephant in the room so I'm glad we got Mulder and Scully's fantasies out the way regarding a life with him even if they were rather confusing and seemed to have been dropped randomly into the episode. I'm glad that they kept their fantasies about William exclusive to the individual experiences they dreamed of having with him and the things they personally feared, rather than bringing in a fantasy with them as a family. That would've been too much like a soap opera as would've been one of the special kids being their son which I kind of feared would happen. Thankfully neither happened.

I agree with whoever it was that said they have a hard time believing Scully or Mulder would give their special son up to strangers who would've had no idea what they were dealing with when any powers he might have start to manifest.

I know we're just on episode two but I still feel like we're not getting anything fresh. There's nothing about this reboot that is making it stand out from any thing else on TV right now.

That said, next week's episode doesn't look to be taking itself as serious and actually looks like it might be fun.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3

I know I'm in the minority but imo that was insultingly crappy.

Yea I don't find it quite as bad... but man was I surprised by the lack of chemistry there. And no I don't mean of the sexual kind either. Just of the usual. It's striking the difference between the interviews we've seen with them, the Kimmel Skit (not counting the sex scene) and this.

• Love 1

Wow did this episode pull at my cold dead heart. The dream sequences were really well done. First both Scully and Mulder both happily raising their kid only to end on horror and tragedy. All while investigating a father doing experiments on his own children.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

Am I the only one who thought of that 70's movie The Fury with the psychic twins Amy Irving and Andrew Stevens and how it ended with Amy making the evil doctor John Cassevetes bleed from the eyes and then his entire head exploded?

Nope, you're not the only one. This is why I eventually stopped watching the original show -- a lot of episodes too closely mirrored established movies, which killed the suspense for me. I was hoping the reboot wouldn't go there so blatantly. Oh well.

Edited by numbnut

Wow. It turns out that one thing I did not miss from The X-Files was all the eye-squicky grossness, and people stabbing themselves in the brain, or slicing various bits of themselves open. Guhhhrrr.

Nope; you are definitely not alone there. I'm thinking Morgan and Wong probably sent a cheque to De Palma and John Farris.

Of course, I also thought that Lester from the Buy-More probably would want to jump Mulder's bones. Or, you know, bone. (I'll show myself out now.) Edited because Lester and Jeff are not the same. Whoops.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 4

My mother was a huge fan of the show.  As tribute to her I am watching this show for her and have positioned her ashes toward the tv........that was some crazy shit right there.  I am totally into Alien Files and such shows but holy crap!

• Love 9

Excellent episode. Good for some closure. M&S were both introspective. It worked very well, IMO.

Agreed. I loved every moment of it from start to finish. It was better than last week and felt, at least to me, just like old times. The letter opener in the ear was appropriately disgusting and Scully got to do an autopsy and Mulder had his head screwed with. Yep, they're back. =)

I'm glad Mulder was shown to have William's baby photo as well.  I was a little annoyed by Scully's "A mother never forgets" line because fathers presumably love their children too. 

Much better than episode one.  I've got to ask though.  Both Duchovny and Andersen seem to be speaking with hoarse voices.  Is that an acting choice, are they both sick, or do they both really sound like that now?

I too was glad that Mulder also had the photo. When he told Scully he thought about William, but had to move past that, I told my TV he was such a liar, and I was excited to be right! Their individual what if scenarios about getting to raise William moved me to the point of tears, especially when it of course ended badly in both cases. All I could think about was how much these characters have suffered and sacrificed and Scully in particular, I thought, was enjoying being a mom so much in her little fantasy that it just hurt my heart to know that she won't ever get to experience that for real. I knew I wasn't alone when my retired cop of a dad called me right after the episode in tears, and he hardly ever cries at anything, least of all TV.

I really liked the way the case came together. The creepy doctor experimenting on his own kids felt just like cases of the past to me, and all those poor kids with all those deformities didn't surprise me at all. I really enjoyed the kids going on Carrie on their dad.

Skinner made me smile because he's back running interference for them (it'll take a few days to close the case and whatnot) and of course knowing that Mulder made copies of the medical files, because duh. Loved the callback to Skinner listening to Mulder for about five seconds before turning to Scully and asking what she thought.

I thought Mulder walking off with the victim's phone and palming the blood sample at the end was classic, and cracked up at Scully halfheartedly protesting his theft of the phone. =)

Lastly, about DD and GA's voices...I'm not sure about DD, but GA's voice seemed fine as recently as the second season of The Fall. She did whisper some, but for the most part, she sounded like herself. So, maybe they were both sick?

• Love 9

I thought Scully's knowledge of the meaning of "Gupta" was completely in character, as was her next observation: "I'm old school, Mulder. Pre-Google." That made me laugh.

Hi, Pjxf99! ::waves at old school TWoP pals::

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 12

A pretty good episode. I enjoyed it and was very disturbed. Those poor children, my god, my heart broke for them. Just terrible. Poor things.

Much more original recipe X-Files. M&S seemed more like themselves. Anyone notice Flashback!Scully had the "proper" red Scully hair. Were they flashbacks or daydreams, or lamenting what each lost, and could have had, with William.

Good COTW/Connection to the government conspiracy. Creepy as hell.

And here is a clear example of how TV has changed since original recipe X-Files went off the air. The visual gore/creep factor has increased dramatically. Original Recipe XF was creepy, but always off screen, or hinted at, or shadows and sounds would try to create that atmosphere. Home is considered their creepiest episode, Humbug had it moments, and the gore factor was nothing like today. Always hinted at, never shown. FTR, I didn't watch the final two seasons, and now skin showers popped into my head and apparently they were gross.

But anyway....

After 15 years, and shows pushing the envelope of gore and creep and violence, like (The Walking Dead, Hannibal, for example) and now the X-Files can show disturbing mutations, disembowled deer, someone pushing a letter opened into their skull, etc etc. What a significant difference.

• Love 4

I'm not liking them putting Anderson in the size-too-small blouses.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Scully a pathologist in the original series, but she was doing plastic surgery in the first ep this go-round..?

I'm liking it, but it's not great.

• Love 1

Anyone notice Flashback!Scully had the "proper" red Scully hair. Were they flashbacks or daydreams, or lamenting what each lost, and could have had, with William.

I thought that Scully's hair looked reddest in the first daydream sequence -- with the youngest version of William. Scully's hair colour seemed to fade gradually as the fantasies progressed, and Scully seemed each time a little older, along with her son. I think the details of the daydream sequences were handled with some care. My reaction to seeing Mulder's version, at the end? "Of course he does. Oh, of course he does!" ::sniff::
Edited by Sandman
  • Love 7
Lastly, about DD and GA's voices...I'm not sure about DD, but GA's voice seemed fine as recently as the second season of The Fall. She did whisper some, but for the most part, she sounded like herself. So, maybe they were both sick?

I definitely notice both of their voices are much more hoarse. GA has smoked for years and still may. Not sure about DD, but age and smoking probably took a toll on their voices.

Yeah, Skinner protecting them is the best. Made me smile.

Scully was a pathologist before. She also taught surgical techniques at one point. Then she would always introduce herself as a doctor with a background in "hard" science. I never understood that line, cause being a doctor is based in precise science (to me).

So I assume Scully quit her job at the hospital then, and is an FBI agent again? Or was she FBI still, but somehow working in a partnership with that Lady of Sorrow hospital. It's not really clear.

I enjoyed the episode. Old-school Skinner. I'm surprised that the Dept. of Defense guy in Skinner's office wasn't his usual office companion.

I don't know if Mulder and Scully are agents again, or FBI consultants, or what.

I did chuckle at Mulder's encounter with Gupta. His home at the end looked far different than his apartment and sofa bed.

I hope that the eps do give some idea of what happened to William.

The doctor's kids had very impressive psychic abilities.

Show censorship and what you can see now has changed since the 90s. I do know that a lot of stuff was cut from the original series as it was too 'dark' and couldn't be shown.

I did like that Mulder took care enough to grab the fingerprint of the guy to open his phone.

• Love 4

Yes, that was more like it! Actually, it was 100% like it, at least to me. Creepy factor? Check. Humorous moments/quips? Check. Emotional moments? Check. Unclear resolution? Check. Mulder/Scully partnership/friendship/relationship? Check, check, check.

It felt vintage to me, and yet not old-fashioned. For me, he writers/directors have achieved their  slight "modernization" without denaturing the show.

It wasn't up there with the best standalone episodes. But with the melancholic atmosphere re:William, I could imagine an outing like this one around S5-S6.

I wanted to hug Scully the first time she talked about William, I wanted to hug Mulder in the end, so alone in his pain (because he wants to be strong for Scully, I guess?).

Also: "You're never just anything." Mulder, you killed me here and I love you for it.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 9