Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Unauthorized Magic / S01.E02: The Source Of Magic

I'm a sucker for (1) time travel stories and (2) characters who have magic in their lives, and this certainly fits the bill for the latter. A Hogwart's graduate school! In Narnia!

I liked Quentin and didn't even mind the "female best friend I'm secretly in love with" subtext. Having Julia denied entrance was an interesting twist. Seems like her frustration and anger will take her in interesting directions.

I thought it was excellent and am hoping they're able to maintain the momentum. I'm not familiar with the books so any big discrepancies won't bother me.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 6

"Hey, what if we took Harry Potter, blended it with Narnia and then, wait for it, instead of kids we made the characters into disaffected 20-somethings so they could drink and have sex and stuff?  Genius!"

The only character who really interested me much was Rick Worthy's and he's likely dead now.

• Love 1

Read the books, loved the books.  I'm not sure how I feel about the pilot.  Do we have a book versus show thread so that all of the non-book people don't get all bored with the book people dissecting this in great detail?  (I have thoughts, dammit, many thoughts!)

I thought it dragged and the pace was a little snoozy. I thought it needed a director who does both movies and TV or action shows like Bharat Nalluri, David Nutter, or Lexi Alexander.

I'm a little disappointed that Rick Worthy's character may not be long for the world.

I thought it dragged and the pace was a little snoozy. I thought it needed a director who does both movies and TV or action shows like Bharat Nalluri, David Nutter, or Lexi Alexander.

Oddly enough, the biggest complaint I've heard is that it covered too much ground in the pilot, but that's largely because many people got hooked on the book when it was billed as "Harry Potter for adults" (a terrible descriptor).

• Love 1

Oddly enough, the biggest complaint I've heard is that it covered too much ground in the pilot, but that's largely because many people got hooked on the book when it was billed as "Harry Potter for adults" (a terrible descriptor).

That's interesting because I don't think it had any more details than many pilots. Veronica Mars had a truckload of details and characters in its pilot. Supernatural also had a ton of details in its pilot too, which is interesting because Sera Gamble produces both Supernatural and The Magicians.

• Love 2

That's interesting because I don't think it had any more details than many pilots. Veronica Mars had a truckload of details and characters in its pilot. Supernatural also had a ton of details in its pilot too, which is interesting because Sera Gamble produces both Supernatural and The Magicians.

I agree it's short on actual character development, the main criticism is that it jumped to a seminal event in the book rather quickly.  Without knowledge of how the book ran (actually, in this case, it's two books as the second in the series covers the same timeline as the first but follows another main character), it would be a difficult criticism to make.  So in reality, it's probably not the most fair criticism in general, as they are two different creatures, but a good bit of the character development and backstory and why the appearance of the Beast is such a terrible thing (and indeed why the Beast is so scary) gets a bit muddled.  

• Love 2

I gave up on the book very early on, because I hated the main character.

I actually liked him more on the show and I think the actor had quite a bit to do with it. I also liked Julia's story and the actress. They're the most interesting parts to me so far.

I kinda hated the Narnia bits and the blond girl though, so I'm still on the fence.

• Love 2

I'm looking to pick up a new show, so hopefully this is it. I liked Eliot, Alice, Julia, and I even found Quentin far more tolerable than I did in the book. I despised his whiny ass in the book. Julia's story looks like it could get dark, and she seems slightly depressed now so I'm curious as to where it's going to lead her next. 

I did not immediately warm up to Penny and I had zero interest in the girl he screwed, she can be killed by the beast next as far as I'm concerned. I hope Dean Fogg isn't dead forever because I actually liked him. The ending of the first episode has me intrigued enough to tune in for the second.

• Love 2

I really like that magic has consequences here and that it can be extremely dark and dangerous. Sadly, I'm not expecting the dean to bounce back after having his eyeballs plucked out by headless guy. The students in the class being awake and able to see what was happening but unable to move was fittingly scary.

I hope we'll find out why the entire 3rd year (I think?) class has gone missing except for 2 people.

• Love 2

I liked Eliot, Alice, Julia, and I even found Quentin far more tolerable than I did in the book. I despised his whiny ass in the book.

Yup, that was me. I made it through the first book because I hate to ever quit a book once I've started reading but I had zero interest in finishing the series because man did I hate Quentin and I really didn't give enough of a shit about the other characters, save for Alice, to want to stick around. For a book series to work for me, I have to care about the story and the characters and care what happens to them. I didn't with these characters. That said, when I heard they were adapting the books into a series, I figured I'd give it a shot so I'll be back with thoughts after I watch the episode. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I actually liked him more on the show and I think the actor had quite a bit to do with it. I also liked Julia's story and the actress. They're the most interesting parts to me so far.

I kinda hated the Narnia bits and the blond girl though, so I'm still on the fence.

Those things considered, try to stick out the book and move onto the next two.  Quentin, especially book Quentin, is a total clownshoe but less so with each successive book.  Julia's story in the second book is the best part of it, and the third kinda hits that sweet spot.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 1

So I watched the episode and I see they made the characters older. I believe in the books Quentin was graduating high school and getting ready for college but apparently they're in Grad School here. I'm glad because my first thought when Quentin first showed up on the screen was to wonder why he looked 30 when he was supposed to be playing a recent high school graduate.

I actually enjoyed this and I can see why some feel like Quentin is less insufferable here (but who knows, give it time and that might change). The other characters are all interesting enough though I'm with others on not having much interest in Penny and his girlfriend - their whole vibe is pretentious and already old in my opinion. Also the girlfriend is new because I'm pretty sure she did not exist in the books.

Eliot and Margo were okay particularly because they were wisely used in a limited capacity. It will be interesting seeing Julia's story and her development of her magical abilities, juxtaposed with Quentin's at Brakebill. But a decent pilot I thought. It established a lot of plot and storylines moving forward. 

• Love 1

This was not good. I don't mind that a lot of stuff was crammed in the pilot because that's how many pilots roll, but could they not spare one line to explain how the friend cutting herself made her remember what happened, why she thought it would work, and why the unfriendly school committee didn't know it would (they couldn't have failed to notice it)?

Still, the actress sold it, which is encouraging. On the whole, the acting is by no means good, but the actress for the Narnia sister stood out as distractingly dreadful in all her scenes.

I didn't mind Quentin as a character - clinically depressed lead could be interesting - but the actor is so bland I doubt I'd recognize him out of context; I've watched the episode just hours ago and I don't remember his face or his voice.

Like the "Julia remembers" plot development, I felt that there were shortcuts behind Penny, Eliot and Margo being cardboard cutouts bounced around by the plot, that their characterization was meant to be more complete than the image I got out of all the disparate bits we were shown. Also, the only clear indication that Alice is a great magician was in the scene with Quentin being jealous of her ability. I think we were supposed to get it when she made that glass horse, but we have no clue what is "great skill" in this world because we don't know what magic can do or the rules for it, and it wasn't clear that what she did was something special: she had no reaction, no one other than Quentin was impressed, the teacher didn't praise her - I get that this is part of her characterization and current status in the school, but this doesn't change the fact that there was no clue to realize what that scene meant. And speaking of characterization and status, the pilot told us that Alice is unpopular and a "loser", but we have no idea why outside of high school cliches, which grates because (a) this is grad school, (b) it's a school for magic, © even if high school cliches apply, magic is a talent, a potential for power and performance, so I want to know why someone who is good at it is treated as being a nerd as opposed to an athlete. Is it her personality? What personality?

ETA: Reading the book is not the answer. The show is an adaptation of the books, not their companion or their sequel.

Edited by Crim
  • Love 5

On the whole, the acting is by no means good

It's good for SyFy in my opinion, but then again I probably have lowered standards after years and years of watching CW shows.

This was not good. I don't mind that a lot of stuff was crammed in the pilot because that's how many pilots roll

I have a three episode rule for the majority of new shows, so if I'm still uninterested or irritated by a show at that point, then I'll stop watching and move on. I have no time for "hate watching" personally.

I have now seen the pilot twice and I really didn't think it was that bad. A few characters are cliched but overall, I found things to enjoy and I'll continue to tune in. 

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 2

I thought it was ok in the beginning, and got better with the moth head man at the end. The relationships between the students are boring to me right now, but it's still early. I felt like the Fillory girl (Jane?) was doing the whole portentous-speaking thing less effectively than the Dean. I wish he could take over for her in the Ominous Dream Statements department, since he's probably dead. 

I was extremely annoyed by the scene of Julia in the bathroom. I get that they want to have a perilous situation draw out her powers, but the woman-threatened-with-rape trope is so old, and it just seemed like a blatant excuse to see a pretty actress with her shirt off. Eyeroll. 

I was a little bit confused about where Quentin was meant to be at the beginning. Did he commit himself, or check himself into in-patient psych treatment? Because that seems way more significant than just feeling a little depressed and not quite fitting in. I'm curious if Quentin's mental health issues are going to continue to be explored, or if we're meant to assume he didn't really have serious mental health problems, he just hadn't found his magical place in the world yet. 

• Love 1

I haven't read the books but watched because it sounded like Holly Oaks meets Harry Potter and I'll try anything once. Quentin really needs a slap upside the head and I'm not sure how long I could tolerate him but I'll give the next episode a chance. 

I liked it enough to stick with it. Julia's story I find more interesting than Quentin's, though, because it reminds me of Morgana in "Merlin", which, though not executed well, pushed a character who was not necessarily evil onto that path by rejection, and the Legion of Super-heroes' rejects comprising much of their opposite number, the Legion Of Super-Villains. When someone really wants another chance at the test, you might indulge them. I expected her to accompany the bug man through the mirror, in fact, as wasn't the teacher in that class the one who attempted to wipe her memory?

The actual school and students were too generic for me, but I guess they wanted to get to the "Big Bad" quickly, and perhaps there'll be some fleshing out if the series goes longer term.

Edited by NorthstarATL

I haven't read the books but watched because it sounded like Holly Oaks meets Harry Potter and I'll try anything once. Quentin really needs a slap upside the head and I'm not sure how long I could tolerate him but I'll give the next episode a chance. 

Why? The Quentin thing, I mean. I understand it from book readers, but what did Quentin do in the pilot that deserves a slap? I'm genuinely curious.

I was a little bit confused about where Quentin was meant to be at the beginning. Did he commit himself, or check himself into in-patient psych treatment? Because that seems way more significant than just feeling a little depressed and not quite fitting in. I'm curious if Quentin's mental health issues are going to continue to be explored, or if we're meant to assume he didn't really have serious mental health problems, he just hadn't found his magical place in the world yet. 

5150.  48 Hour ROSA hold. 

ETA: Reading the book is not the answer. The show is an adaptation of the books, not their companion or their sequel.

The answer should never be "read the books".  If it is, someone's doing a shit job of writing.

I'm just over halfway through the first book, so I thought it would be safe to watch this and not get spoiled.  However, I almost universally hated it.  I get that changes have to be made when adapting material, but I hate when they change things that don't really need to be changed.  I'm not sure why they had to be grad students instead of kids just going to college, and I don't like when shows feel a need to heavily foreshadow big events that will happen later.  Why do we need the conversation with Fogg at the beginning of the show?  Do we really need to know that Quentin is some big savior in order to get invested in the show?

I'll likely watch a few more before I decide for good, but I just really didn't like the first episode.

• Love 1

I had never even heard of the books before watching this and I thought it was pretty boring until the creepy dude showed up at the end. That was scary enough to hold my interest and I'll probably give it another episode to see if it gets better.

It's Harry Potter meets Narnia meets Xavier's School for the Gifted with a dash of Stephen King! No, seriously though, I have not read the books at all, but I had heard of them. I enjoyed this first episode (watched it online) more than I thought I would. I certainly identified with the depressed protagonist who likes to lose himself in fantasy books rather than talk to people at a party. I also liked the Julia character, though I could have done without the gratuitous bra scene (guess they always have to please those SyFy fanboys -- but what about us girls? We just have greasy-haired Quentin to look at??)

Anyway....I tried to like Alice but it's too soon I guess. She just seems too cold. I didn't like the bonking couple (forgot their names already) they were annoying. And the stuck-up prep-school rich kid cliche (Elliot?) was, well, a cliche. Hopefully he gets more interesting. But, the plot seems very intriguing so far, I like the bits of magic shown, and wow, what an ending! It certainly makes you want to watch the next episode!

SPOILER:

The thing with the eyeballs really freaked me out!! Was not expecting that!!

• Love 2

It has potential but I did think moth head eating the Dean was a bit early. I suppose it'll motivate Quentin from stepping off the garden path with his 3 new friends.

I think they went with the Beast (aka moth head) a bit early on myself, but then again, I don't think they did particularly great job of showing Quentin's sheer wonder and joy at being at a super secret magic school.  Then again, they are playing up the Chosen One thing very early on.  

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 1
In the premiere of this drama adapted from Lev Grossman's book series, best friends Quentin and Julia are mysteriously recruited to take an entrance exam to Brakebills University, a secret institution for magical pedagogy.

The Brakebills students struggle to deal with the aftermath of a catastrophe that befalls the university. Back in Brooklyn, Julia makes her first foray into the mysterious world of Hedge Witches.

I liked it.  I haven't read the books but I always treat adaptations as their own thing.  I find you're usually way less disappointed that way.  I think I'm the opposite in terms of who I've warmed up t o character wise.  Quentin is actually the only one I really like.  I don't feel like we know nearly enough about the magician school classmates but they all seem kind of obnoxious.  I was going to say it was just Elliot and what's her face but Penny and the other child are pretty annoying as well.

Jules doesn't do anything for me either.  I don't get what her deal is.  On the one hand she was really down on Quentin for believing in magic but she also is now devastated because she wasn't particularly good at it.  She also seems kind of selfish.  She bemoaned the fact the Quentin wasn't supportive of the spell she learned but she also failed to acknowledge that he did get into magic school nor did she even inquire about him when she had her meeting, like he did about her.  I dunno something about her bugs and I feel its only going to get worse judging from the promos.

I'm sad that the Dean has already been murdered.  I would have liked to see a little bit of fun before its all doom and gloom.  I think that may be the other problem I have with the show is that it hasn't showed us that magic is fun.  

Haven't read the books; don't particularly care how the books and the series compare - all I am going on is what I saw in the two episodes.

I think Julia's course of learning magic in the rough company of people that she knows better than to trust may ultimately make her a stronger Magician than Quentin. In this particular world, it doesn't seem that it's really natural ability that makes you a Magician (one of the characters actually says this). Julia is pretty clearly a stronger character than whiny, mopey, utterly uncurious Quentin. I am probably doomed to be disappointed in that theory.

Alice and Quentin seem evenly matched - both of them lost in their little fantasy worlds, Quentin about Narnia and Alice about her brother. You'd hope that both of them would have learned a serious lesson at this point and get their heads out of their little cloud worlds, but I am guessing not.

Also, the actor playing Gatsby-esque Eliot looks and sounds a lot like a taller, darker-haired young James Spader, so I am tempted to like him.

• Love 3

I feel really bad that the only thing I have to say about this two hour premiere is that I couldn't stop noticing a continuity error with Quentin's hair.  It's a few inches longer at the start of episode two than it was at the end of episode one.  Considering only about 10 minutes had past in Quentin's world, it annoyed me.  Must have been several weeks or months between filming the pilot and episode 2 and no one thought to give him a wee trim.    

Other than that, I maybe don't hate it.  I think I'm most curious about whether or not this show is actually going to end up with white boy chosen one or if there is any chance they'd subvert the trope in some way.  I've never even heard of the books so no idea about any aspect of the plot.

I'll likely tune in next week, if only to see if there are more hair continuity issues.  

Well at least Rick Worthy's character is still alive, blind and missing his hands, but alive.

Although I like Julia's story, I think the Hedge witch test could have been shunted to episode 3 so that the rest of episode 2 could really focus on Quentin, his friends, and Brakebills. I still don't get a good sense about Brakebills and why it's so special other than duh magic.

So...

I watched this based on a recommendation from a coworker. He read the books and figured this would be worth a look.  I know nothing of this story before watching. I know everything Harry Potter, but that is the extent of my experience with fantasy stuff, and I'm also not particularly into the Gossip Girl type of show, which I saw compared to this show in one of the reviews I read. ("Harry Potter meets Gossip Girl" I believe was the line.)

I thought it was a pretty good pilot as far as TV shows go!  The premise is definitely interesting. It has two sides of the world to explore. There is a decent set of characters to develop, which will be where the show either snags me or loses me.  And there is a ton of potential to go anywhere with the plot and the science fiction stuff.

And after two episodes, I have my first decision in the "Will I stick with this show? scorecard, and it's a yes.  I really liked the Eliot character.  I hated him on first sight, and then it turned out that I don't hate him at all.  

• Love 2
Ugh, God, stop whining Quentin.  Jesus.

No kidding. Also, try speaking at least a few sentences without stammering and sniveling, Quentin. And you want to be my latex salesman protagonist! Although I'll allow that it may partly be the show's fault for jumping directly into the grim and harrowing part of magic without a stop at the wonder and joy.

Eliot turned a corner for me in the second episode from "unbearably arch" to "affectedly foppish but means well."

• Love 3

I had absolutely no familiarity with the books and enjoyed the episodes that aired last night quite a bit - particularly the 2nd episode. I found the Alice character overplayed - you can do prissy without walking around like someone with a stick up your ass - and certainly the scene mentioned above in the school courtyard was basically ripped directly from Mean Girls. I also really liked the way the premiere episode opened. From that it was clear that these characters had lives before the series began and we were just stepping into them, which a big plus for me. It's exposition without shouting "this is why we are here." I'll keep watching.

I feel really bad that the only thing I have to say about this two hour premiere is that I couldn't stop noticing a continuity error with Quentin's hair.  It's a few inches longer at the start of episode two than it was at the end of episode one.

Bwah! I noticed that too. In fact I found his hair distracting throughout the 2-hour premier. 

I don't know about this show - I'm not sold yet but I think I'm still on the fence. I feel like it may be a bit too derivative and frankly I'm surprised JK Rowlings hasn't sued. Or maybe she has and was unsuccessful. I also feel like Quentin/Jason Ralph is a bit too emo for my tastes.

I really need them to flesh out the rules of how this magic school works because segregating the students into different groups based on their abilities is too gimmicky. I also need them to slow down on the Big Bad and not let that be the focus so early on in the first season. Overall I found the whole storyline at the school a little muddled.

On the other hand I think Julia has the more interesting story so that's got me intrigued enough to stick with it for now.

I watched Nurse Jackie and did not recognize Arjun Gupta as Penny. Wow! Has he changed. Amazing what a little bulk and a haircut can do for you. (Take notice, Jason Ralph.)

By the way, floating through air while you are having sex doesn't seem like a great idea. I would think there would be all sorts of leverage issues, bumping heads off of walls and ceilings, and other hazards you really don't need to be considering at that moment.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 3

I feel really bad that the only thing I have to say about this two hour premiere is that I couldn't stop noticing a continuity error with Quentin's hair.  It's a few inches longer at the start of episode two than it was at the end of episode one.  Considering only about 10 minutes had past in Quentin's world, it annoyed me.  Must have been several weeks or months between filming the pilot and episode 2 and no one thought to give him a wee trim.

I thought Quentin and Alice's wardrobe change in between leaving the classroom and building was more noticeable.

Overall, while not anything special, I think I'll stick with the show for at least a few more episodes. 

I'm liking it a lot so far ("favorite midseason show" may have sprung to mind) but I agree we could've used a little more world building.  Though I have read the books, so can't fully consider the plot progression without that knowledge in my mind.  Not sure it works to bring forward Julia's story so early but I guess they wanted a dual protagonist structure.  I dig Elliot the most so far, but probably because he strikes me like a lot of my own college classmates and there's some residual fondness.  If I were in charge I might have spent a little more time rolling around with Fillory and/or Brakebills than fast-forwarding Julia an entire book's worth, but early days I suppose.

....But, but, Julia IS just as whiny as Quentin, and she's just as selfish--more so, actually. At least, Quentin gives some thought to Julia(clumsy phone call! Ha!) albeit in a whiny, snuffling, 'come pity me' manner. Whereas, Julia couldn't give two and one-half shits about Quentin thus far. Quentin is a weepy, tired dumbass, depressed whiner who had a breakdown. And, Julia is an angry, tunnel-visioned dumbass, angrIER whiner in the midst of a possible breakdown. Those two are distinctly enervating.

The supposed underground--and, so far, underwhelming--practitioners of Majicks may prove to be more interesting than those attending University as The School's lauded denizens appear not only a tad ineffectual, but also replete with boringness.

*Hmm, The Show...early days yet...we shall see...

Oh, and, come on, J. K. can hardly sue for appropriation because, well...

Edited by BookElitist

....But, but, Julia IS just as whiny as Quentin, and she's just as selfish--more so, actually. At least, Quentin gives some thought to Julia(clumsy phone call! Ha!) albeit in a whiny, snuffling, 'come pity me' manner. Whereas, Julia couldn't give two and one-half shits about Quentin thus far. Quentin is a weepy, tired dumbass, depressed whiner who had a breakdown. And, Julia is an angry, tunnel-visioned dumbass, angrIER whiner in the midst of a possible breakdown. Those two are distinctly enervating.

Yes.  This exactly.  Quentin is a total clownshoe, the mopey depressed boy who gets off on being mopey and depressed.  That jackass on Facebook who is still bemoaning having not received his/her letter to Hogwarts, but not in the fun and playfull Buzzfeed quiz way, in the legitimately "I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SPECIAL" kind of way when in fact he's just smarter than the average bear by a degree or two and has yet to embrace his own weirdness.  

The juxtaposition between Julia and Alice is an interesting one.  Both are clearly smart, smarter than their classmates.  But while Julia is just a straight up angry and (dare I say it, without pissing off the Millennials) entitled.  Her whole "Why wouldn't they want me?  I'm smart and I QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!1!" schtick is grating.  Alice, on the other hand, is demonstrably smart (if a little lacking in judgment) but brittle instead of angry.    She's clearly still mourning her brother and his death has turned her icy and mistrustful.  

The supposed underground--and, so far, underwhelming--practitioners of Majicks may prove to be more interesting than those attending University as The School's lauded denizens appear not only a tad ineffectual, but also replete with boringness.

*Hmm, The Show...early days yet...we shall see...

I wouldn't call it underwhelming but just ... I dunno.  It kind of highlights my issues with this show in general.  It's trading a lot of the J.K. Rowling method of wave the wand and say the right words, which had always felt like a cop-out.  Magic, according to the Dean, is supposed to be hard.  But yet we see both Julia and Quentin doing pretty advanced stuff right off the bat.  If it's this easy, why the exam?  Why the school?  Why the safe house?

• Love 2

"Midtown" Mental Health Clinic? That's the view from Battery Park! You literally can't get any further downtown! [/geography rant]

I found the adults at the school to be far more interesting than Quentin, Julia or any of the students (More scenes with the doctor please.) but it was interesting enough for me to keep watching.

• Love 1

I've only seen the first episode, and didn't mind it. I'll watch the other one in a while.

I must live under a rock, because I've never heard of the books. I'll have to find them through the library.