Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Tara Ariano

Crime drama about the devil tiring of life in Hell and materializing in the City of Angels, where he aids the LAPD in punishing evildoers. In the opener, he befriends a troubled pop diva and witnesses her murder, which triggers him to seek revenge on her killer.

Is anyone else tired of the jackass antihero? I mean, that description of the solicits could have been taken from any drama pilot of the last 10 years.

Also, maybe I'm missing something, but no TV show, including this one, has ever shown a protagonist being ACTUALLY evil. They pretend they're evil, but by the second episode he'll beat up a rapist or something. I don't see why TV shows bother calling someone evil to make them seem sexy and exciting, but then actually writing them as Dudley Do-Right. (See also, characters who use ethnic slurs but have no problem working with their nonwhite friends and colleagues). What's the point of making him Lucifer when he's going to be Don-Draper-as-a-cop?

• Love 10
Also, maybe I'm missing something, but no TV show, including this one, has ever shown a protagonist being ACTUALLY evil. They pretend they're evil, but by the second episode he'll beat up a rapist or something.

There are cable shows for that. Pretty sure there are lots of murderers and criminals there. Tony Soprano, Dexter, etc.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 11

Yeah it's an interesting concept that seems wasted by turning it into a relatively typical procedural, at least so far.

5 minutes among humans and the devil has a soft spot for some young blonde woman and vows to get her killer? It's like CSI: Lucifer!

It's early to judge but I'm a bit disappointed.

ETA: I did kind of like the bit with the therapist, and DB Wood is great.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 4

I watched bits and pieces, and listened to it in the background.

From what I understand, something else was pitched and pretty much Fox turned it into a procedural.

Not sure how I feel about it.. I'm actually kind of interested in the Angel politics.. I didn't catch the name of the Angel at the end that Lucifer talked to about eating his heart... and does he have a different appearance with mirrors?

And who was the woman at the end? Maise? Is that her name? Is she an Angel too? They all seemed pissed that he's doing good things or showing restraint, that what he's doing is upsetting the balance... i want more of that and not the freaking police procedural stuff, if I'm going to stick with this. 

• Love 1

Is anyone else tired of the jackass antihero? I mean, that description of the solicits could have been taken from any drama pilot of the last 10 years. Also, maybe I'm missing something, but no TV show, including this one, has ever shown a protagonist being ACTUALLY evil. They pretend they're evil, but by the second episode he'll beat up a rapist or something. I don't see why TV shows bother calling someone evil to make them seem sexy and exciting, but then actually writing them as Dudley Do-Right. (See also, characters who use ethnic slurs but have no problem working with their nonwhite friends and colleagues). What's the point of making him Lucifer when he's going to be Don-Draper-as-a-cop?

I absolutely agree. Seriously why even name the show Lucifer if Lucifer is just going to turn out to be a 'good' guy pretending to be bad. I think FOX could've done so much more with this. Yes it might not have been the right fit for FOX, but FX certainly could've explored the potential intrigue and complexity that could've come with the exploration of the darkness that is Lucifer.

I wanted to like this show but as soon as I saw what it was destined to be, see above, I didnt even finish the episode.

• Love 5

What complexity? That's the issue. Lucifer is absolute evil. Basically, Hitler. There's no complexity there. No bad childhood. That's the point of pure evil. 

Unless, by "evil" they mean "wears a leather jacket, smokes, and uses outdated language to refer to women and minorities while respecting them anyways." In which case that's every other TV character, and really boring to watch. If I wanted to watch Ray Donovan with pretensions I would watch Ray Donovan. 

• Love 4

I like him. He's definitely got devilish charm.

I wish it wasn't a procedural . It could be interesting but right now It's basically like watching Castle. But darn it I kinda liked it and will stick and hope the angel wars get fleshed out more.

• Love 22

This strangely kind of reminded me of Sleepy Hollow, with the whole "fish out of water" character being paired with a "normal" cop, and they banter and solve crimes.  I mean, sure there are some differences; mainly Lucifer is obviously more "edgy" then Ichabod and Chloe isn't as awesome as Abbie; but that's what I kept thinking during all their scenes.  In short, not a huge fan of the whole procedural elements.

I only know Tom Ellis for his minor roles in things like The Strain and Doctor Who, but I thought he was decent enough in the role, even if I find it strange that Lucifer is basically a "bad boy", instead of, well, The Devil.  Same with Lauren German, even if I'm not wild about Chloe.  But I'm just glad she found another gig after what stupid Chicago Fire did to Shay.

Anytime Kevin Alejandro showed up, I just kept remembering he played Jesus on True Blood, so when the scene came when he finally faced-off against Lucifer, I was all "It's Lucifer vs. Jesus!" 

I have no idea what to make of this angel who hates Lucifer or the bartender played by Naevia 1.0. from Spartacus who seems to hate that Lucifer is getting soft.

I guess I'll keep watching for now and see if it gets better.  At least till the eventual episode where Lucifer hears someone playing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," and he starts rolling his eyes/getting pissy over it.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

I wanted to like this so much, but it was just so cliche and weak. I would blame the network for making Lucifer so goody two-shoes, but it is pretty consistent with how the character is portrayed in the graphic novels the show is based on. I will give it a few more episodes because I like the actor who plays the ex-husband. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Anytime Kevin Alejandro showed up, I just kept remembering he played Jesus on True Blood, so when the scene came when he finally faced-off against Lucifer, I was all "It's Lucifer vs. Jesus!"

Too true! *G*

From how folks acted, Lucifer had been in town for a bit, so he didn't just befriend AnnaLyne McCord's doomed singer. He'd known her and introduced her to Bad Ira (John Pankow, Mad About You).  You can be evil and still care about whatever you want to care about.

I think that is part of the point of the show, the question Lucifer asked DB Woodside's angel:  Is Lucifer evil?  If he's not and his father just keeps saying so, does he have to follow the path his dad laid out for him?  There is a lot of implications from Maze/Maise/Mays and DB's angel that Hell is totally unattended and the inmates will escape rather than take over. The show is setting up some interesting questions about one's destiny, especially if you come from a particularly...old family. (Or long-lived.)

I thought when Chloe wasn't impressed with Lucifer's charms, when he scared the crap out of Trixie's tormentor and when Lucifer got upset that he couldn't punish Bad Ira the way he wanted were good scenes.  It does feel like a pretty generic cop/ "consultant" procedural, but it is just the pilot. I'm happy enough to give the show a bit more of my time. 

Rachael Harris, though, stole the damn episode! She is so underrated, but tends to walk-off with various shows when she's asked to guest. I hope her therapist is a regular.

I checked on IMDB, and Maze is short for Mazikeen ( she mentioned leaving Hell along with Lucifer) and the very handsome, dark-winged angel is Amenadiel.  I remember Mazikeen's name very faintly from my Sandman days. Maze could be a fun character; she could be the devil on Lucifer's shoulder. ( Chloe would be the Hot Tub Angel. *g*)

• Love 8

I liked it, overall. A bit light and frothy, but fun.

I especially liked the idea that Lucifer really didn't cause any of the evil in the episode. At worst, he made people do what they secretly wanted to do anyway. I know it conflicts with a lot of depictions of the devil, but I'd like them to pursue the idea that the devil isn't so much the source of evil as he is the conductor of human evil.

On that note, he and Lauren can be seen as polar opposites. He represents doing anything your heart desires, she represents boundaries. That might be a fun tension to play with.

Sigh...But knowing TV, they'll probably just turn this into an adorable procedural.

• Love 10

Raunchy for primetime (8:00 MST), but I liked it. Yes, it's Sleepy Hollow meets Death Takes a Holiday (or Meet Joe Black), but much wittier. There is a moral: the Devil DIDN'T "make them do it." He creates temptation, but the choices people make in the face of temptation are entirely their own. Lucifer's role in Hell is management, not recruitment. I'm afraid the premise may soon wear thin, though, so I'll watch because I can catch Scorpion in reruns.

• Love 7

Do I really want to root for the Devil? Do I need to watch a show that is giving Lucifer a redemption arc? Then again, he wasn't even that evil, so it seems like a bit of a copout. They're really going to have be very good with the backstory and worldbuilding to overcome the more typical characterization of Lucifer. I'd actually be on board with that if they made the show about the angel/hell politics (The similarly themed season five of Supernatural was a favorite of mine.) and really delved into the themes of evil and the choices we make.But of course, it's mainly just going to be another police procedural. I'm already bored of the Cotw.

I really like the lead guy. He's sexy, charming, and playful. I wish he had a bit more of a menacing edge though. He is the devil after all. I'd guess the network doesn't want to make him too frightening or the show too dark, but I'd really enjoy it more if they took chances.

I hated Lauren German on H50. She seems better here, but her character is super generic. Also, I already don't care about her ex or their kid. Ugh.

The Principal Wood angel and the demon bartender seem cool so far. 

Lastly, the therapist was awesome and I hope she sticks around.  

Edited by cynic
  • Love 2

That was rather different from the comic book. This was more of a cross between Castle and Angel.

I like the way they make the whole world slow down every time Amenadiel shows up. Rather similar to the way he brings the show's momentum to a screeching halt with his whole "I hate you/you better start playing by the rules" schtick, which we've seen in every cop show ever

ETA: I liked the soundtrack music.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 4

I liked Lucifer, I liked the Angel, I'll see about Maz, but I just didn't connect to the detective. I can't even remember her name, & something about her really bugs me.

• Love 2

True story which amused me at the time: at Comic Con last year one of the bags was advertising this show (the networks put various entities on them every year, but they're handed out at random because if you let everyone root through so they get Batman v Superman it would be chaos). Multiple people came up and said "we're Christian, we cannot have this bag, because it has demons." The ones who really insisted... then were okay with Supernatural bags instead.<br /><br />Anyway, sounds kind of vanilla, though I will give extra consideration to the eye candy.

• Love 1

I liked it, overall. A bit light and frothy, but fun.

I especially liked the idea that Lucifer really didn't cause any of the evil in the episode. At worst, he made people do what they secretly wanted to do anyway. I know it conflicts with a lot of depictions of the devil, but I'd like them to pursue the idea that the devil isn't so much the source of evil as he is the conductor of human evil.

I liked it too for the same reasons. Not sure if I will continue watching because he police procedural aspect irks me.  Does it ick anyone else out at the idea of people having sex with the devil. To me that is a weirdly disturbing thought.  Though they actor is yummy.

• Love 1

I am so many kinds of not sure about this. The Devil solving crimes sounds soooo not for me but I kinda like him which is so wrong on so many levels. I am not a big fan of procedurals I doubt I will last for long.

Edited by Chaos Theory

I'll give it one more episode. I didn't really like it. Sexy devil isn't 1/2 as sexy as they think he is. He looks like he needs a good bath and a shave. I guarantee his beard will be the same throughout the limited run of  this series. Why did he choose LA and a British accent? Why is the cop so special special she isn't influenced by the devil. No way that kid they chose for extra special cop and her ex belongs to those two people. 

I enjoyed it, mostly due to Tom Ellis. Most of religious record paints Lucifer as fairly ambiguous, so I'm perfectly fine with not having him be Pure Evil.

Ellis managed to pull off an air of jaunty ennui, which I didn't even know was a thing. I quite liked his Lucifer, especially when he zestfully tells everyone who he is and nobody believes him. Lucifer and the show don't take themselves too seriously. I'm not looking for another Grimm or Supernatural or Dominion or Witches of East End or etc.

I enjoy procedurals but it didn't occur to me that this was one until I got here. It was frothy fun and I hope Lucifer isn't going to take a turn to the grisly at some point. I look forward to learning more about Maze, Lucifer's backstory, and the rest of the otherworldly. Reviews aren't good, though.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 19

Considering this is a fantasy show, I'm willing to buy that Lucifer has a compassionate side. It's more believable than a doctor constantly about die being in such great shape

I don't think the creators of Rosewood actually know anyone or bothered to research congenital heart disease or the physical condition of someone on a heart transplant list. I'm sure they got the always sunny disposition right, cause sick folks are always happy.

Considering this is a fantasy show, I'm willing to buy that Lucifer has a compassionate side. .

That's the part I do like.

The Devil is tired of Hell. He wanted to try something new. What starts as a vacation turns into something more when hanging with humans start "infecting" or is it affecting him.

What does this mean for the battle between heaven and Hell?

• Love 11

I get the feeling that the DB Woodside character is going to be the really evil one in this series.  I liked it, especially for a pilot.  It doesn't take itself too seriously (thank Satan!) and the characters are mostly fun and interesting.  Plus it gets extra points from reminding me of the song, "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked."

• Love 5

I really wish the show will avoid being too procedural ! 

Or if it is, I hope it will have the cleverness of Limitless, although that's really hard to accomplish, Limitless set the bar quite high !

• Love 2

I liked it. Not crazy about Chloe but I did like Lucifer and the therapist. I'll give it a chance. But if Chloe and Lucifer fall in love and a pregnancy results, I'm done. Let's see if the writers can avoid at least that clichéd storyline.

I really wanted a new show to get involved with, but this one left me disappointed. The actor playing Lucifer ... I don't care for him at all. My only thought was, I wish Mark Sheppard had been cast in the role. Now HE would have rocked being Lucifer on vacation.

Not a clue why the lead actor was chosen. Surely there were other better "devils" in the casting calls? Like Mark Sheppard?

It's really going to be hard to get me to turn over from the schlock that is The Bachelor to watch this. Maybe I'll give it one more week.

• Love 1
Do I really want to root for the Devil? Do I need to watch a show that is giving Lucifer a redemption arc?

They seem to be brushing up on a conceit I've been considering for a while - that Lucifer isn't so much the Father of Lies as he is the Teller of Truths.  I mean he's not human so he doesn't really give much of a crap about about human things but lies are weak sauce, and the truth is potent.  Satan is powerful not because he causes evil but because he exposes it, in the only place it can truly reside, inside humans.  

Not sure they're totally headed in this direction here but it would mean that Lucifer doesn't need redemption, and that the truth about the whole heaven/hell thing isn't as clear as we were led to believe.  I might enjoy that, and Supernatural (for its faults) has already been all over the interesting notion that angels aren't necessarily your friends and demons always your enemy.  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 13

Hi everyone. Out of lurkdom to say:

Watched the premier and wasn't sure (given the name of the show and what the title suggests) what to expect. I did previously see the trailer and had a small glimpse of the 'devil' in action and after watching the full episode thought that he (Lucifer) seemed less devilish (evil incarnate and bent of converting/corrupting folks to the dark side or fulfilling a quota) and more a "death takes a holiday" characterization. And you know what? I was okay with that.

Seemed the goal/focus/mind-set/mission of the series is, (at this point anyway) he's been there and done that (evil ) and wants to try or explore another way of doing things---a way which dictates that his actions are more about not having boundaries or of being defined by expectation of his lease in (un)life and place of origin. It's light and undemanding in it's scope and capacity to tell this story, and by that I mean my feeble brain isn't unnecessarily taxed or burdened by heavy and weighty plots and twist and turns. That may yet come, (as evidenced by the confrontation with Amenadiel). Meantime it's a story that's simply told without being vapid.

I don't believe that a story about a character that's purely evil or purely heroic would sustain my interest for so long and am anticipatory about and can appreciate (what could become) a story pertaining to an existential dilemma for an entity that ought not to have a predicament about conscience. Besides, Tom Ellis is sexy as hell (yes I said it) and watching his interaction with the supporting characters was smile worthy (especially with Trixy).

The dialogue is contemporary and witty and the story (so far) advanced at a decent pace. Things may change (as they are wont to do) but this was a nice, uncomplicated albeit formulated entry.  Gonna see where it takes me.

• Love 5

Sorry ...but can I get a second season of CONSTANTINE instead?

I am greedy and would like both; both men are nice to look at and listen to, imo.

Still, since Constantine guested on Arrow ( a CW show), maybe he can pop up on an episode here, either bringing trouble or needing help or Chaz calls on Lu because John's in hot water?  Maybe Manny and Amenadiel can get a scene? ( Harold Perrineau needs to be on my TV more than he is.)

an air of jaunty ennui,

That's the best way to describe it.

Edited by Actionmage

I liked it too for the same reasons. Not sure if I will continue watching because he police procedural aspect irks me.  Does it ick anyone else out at the idea of people having sex with the devil. To me that is a weirdly disturbing thought.  Though they actor is yummy.

If the Devil looks and sounds like Tom Ellis, I would happily join Linda in buying a ticket to Pound Town. He's basically what you would get if a young Jeremy Northam were channeling Tim Curry from Rocky Horror, which is a combination I heartily approve of.

• Love 10

Does anyone know if it says in the comics (the series is based on) why Lucifer cant use his powers on the woman police officers or a particular human overall?

Edited by gwhh

This was a delightful surprise.  I was unfamiliar with the comics, and had very low expectations, In fact, I was thinking of this as Angel 2.0.  Lucifer, TBH, is less like Angelus than Lorne in terms of personality. So my fears about watching another reluctant hero with a centuries-long depression were allayed. One thing the two shows have in common is the "bad Dad" trope - it will be interesting to see how this one plays out! 

• Love 2
If the Devil looks and sounds like Tom Ellis, I would happily join Linda in buying a ticket to Pound Town.

Not to overstep, Bruinsfan, but I seem to recall from previous posts that you are of the gentlemanly persuasion, and this brings up something that crossed my mind too.  I'll be interested to see if Lucifer has no particular preference for boys or girls.  I mean he's not human so it's hard to know if human categories have any meaning here, but it would be an interesting direction to take the character.  Would also be funny if the writers went this way and stirred up controversy with a character of ambivalent sexuality, when that character is also the Prince of Fucking Darkness.  

• Love 4

"

That's the issue. Lucifer is absolute evil. Basically, Hitler. There's no complexity there. No bad childhood. That's the point of pure evil

."

But Lucifer was once God's favorite and when he was cast out about a third of the Angels went with him. Even after Lucifer was cast out he was still close enough to God that they could hang out together making wagers (Job). I am hoping this series will be a little like Brimstone where John Glover played such an exceptional Lucifer, and the gone before its time New Amsterdam.

• Love 6

So, for what it's worth to anyone not familiar with the source material from which this show was commissioned (Mike Carey's Lucifer for Vertigo, which in turn drew from Neil Gaiman's Sandman), Lucifer isn't really evil, as the traditional Christianity derived image of the character. He's an amoral character, or perhaps more accurately, he has his own concept of morality and honor that tends toward the more Machiavellian, and his conflict with his creator forms the crux of his issues with his siblings and pretty much everyone else in the cosmos. So, to that extent, the show seems to be following through with that degree of his character from the source material, at least in not having him be an "evil" guy.

That said, I think they would have been far better served to more closely adhere to the content of said source material, which depicted far more interesting questions of morality and certainly showcased the main character of Lucifer as being extremely crafty and deadly when crossed. Instead, what someone decided would be a better idea would be to riff off of so many other shows out there right now (Castle, Rizzoli & Isles, etc.) and make it some kind of semi-police procedural, but with a twist!! like the did with another DC/Vertigo property (iZombie).

Kind of an uninspired idea, and to me, just as uninspired a pilot. Trite story, dialogue cribbed from The Dummy's Guide to Writing a TV Pilot, and some largely forgettable performances between actors with zero chemistry. Tom Ellis, actually is surprisingly charming, and could probably have played a decent Lucifer from the comic (despite his lack of blonde-ness, lol), but instead is given a very vapid, one-dimensional semi-Devil. Will later episodes give him more room and nuance? Perhaps, but I'm not going to be watching. Mazikeen is turned from a devoted yet conflicted servitor to a disgruntled, oversexed barmaid. The cop character is pretty forgettable and eye-rolling (she's a cop- but she used to be an actress! Only here in LA). And DB Woodside turns in a flat performance as an angry Amenadiel; I used to think he was actually talented, but either he is just constantly given these roles that call for him to only scowl and yell at people all the time, or else I was woefully mistaken.

(Oh, and in answer to gwhh- there is not particular reason from the comics that Lucifer can't use his powers on the female cop, as that is not the manner in which Lucifer's powers work in the comics. In fact, he rarely displays any overt power at all- his true diabolical gift is his mind, which operates on so many different levels at once, that even when he seems to lose, he often is several steps ahead of everyone else. Not always, which can lead to some devastating turns of fortune, but often.) 

• Love 1

Not to overstep, Bruinsfan, but I seem to recall from previous posts that you are of the gentlemanly persuasion, and this brings up something that crossed my mind too.  I'll be interested to see if Lucifer has no particular preference for boys or girls.  I mean he's not human so it's hard to know if human categories have any meaning here, but it would be an interesting direction to take the character.  Would also be funny if the writers went this way and stirred up controversy with a character of ambivalent sexuality, when that character is also the Prince of Fucking Darkness.  

The thought occurred to me as well. Given that Lucifer probably has less in common with human beings than we do with insects, it hardly seems that matters of gender and sexual orientation should be of concern to him—ideally he should react to gay and bisexual men the way he did to women in the pilot (and they to him). Remains to be seen if Fox would go there, or if Henderson and Kapinos will even address the existence of LGBT people.

I do grin at the idea of One Million Moms raising objections to the Devil not being exclusively heterosexual.

• Love 10

I only watched this show because Tom Ellis as Lucifer looked so freakin' hot and yummy in those commercials on TV.  I'll continue watching because I like all the characters and I'm interested in seeing how Lucifer and the female detective will interact in the future episodes.  I didn't care much for the procedural plot and I was so hoping that there would be more supernatural elements to this Show.  There is potential for this Show to be great because I think all the actors are very good; just that, well, this Show needs better plots with more supernatural twists.

I'm use to thinking of Lucifer and evil through and through and cause people to do horrible, monstrous things when they sell their souls to him.  This is an interesting take on Lucifer.  In this Show, Lucifer is sexy, charming, extremely attractive and he can make anyone reveal their innermost thoughts and desires to him.  He does not seem evil.  It kind of throws me off and screws with my head a little bit.  I find it fascinating and unsettling.

I'll keep on watching though.  I still believe this can be a good Show.

• Love 2

Seriously why even name the show Lucifer if Lucifer is just going to turn out to be a 'good' guy pretending to be bad.

Eh it sounds like it went through the network television meat grinder, but I have to say I loved every dumb entertaining minute of it. Tom Ellis is hot and charming and funny (an amoral version of Jeremy Northam's Mr. Knightley), and I don't mind much that his Lucifer comes off more like Loki, I though the show rocked the few glimpses of the actual demon he is, and the Angel effects were solid. I can easily see this show with a little success being able to get smarter/better and more true to it's source material tone/root, but I could watch this charming man tell Trixie she has hooker's name all day.

On that note, he and Lauren can be seen as polar opposites. He represents doing anything your heart desires, she represents boundaries. That might be a fun tension to play with.

Sigh...But knowing TV, they'll probably just turn this into an adorable procedural.

Yeah I'd much rather see her sucked into his supernatural family drama than him solving crimes every week which despite his charm to burn, will get old.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 4

I think the cases are there to give the show a bit of structure while the supernatural elements build in intensity in the background.  One thing I liked was the way Ellis played Lucifer's reaction to the singer's murder.  He was clearly angry, but I liked that it felt less like "Hey, she was my friend!" and more like "Hey, I wasn't finished playing with that!"

• Love 5
I am greedy and would like both; both men are nice to look at and listen to, imo.

Yup. Totally agree.

Gave it a chance after someone said the screening of the Pilot at NYCC (or SDCC, I forget) did really well.

Tom Eliis is hot and charming as hell (hee). And he was funny and witty and smarmy and I totally enjoyed it. It was viewing fluff but viewing fun. I'm in.

• Love 5

Meh.  I'll give it one more episode.  I wasn't expecting a police procedural, which I'm not a huge fan of.  I also don't see any chemistry between Lucifer and the female cop.  I think it's just the actress; she doesn't impress me at all.

• Love 1

I loved every single minute of it. I'm in for now, of course Ellis is a major role in selling point for me. What is the make and model of the car he drives? I want one!

I believe it's a 1958 or 1959 Chevy Corvette Convertible. And is an absolutely gorgeous car.

• Love 5

I liked it. I see the Sleepy Hollow comparison, but it actually reminded me of a sexier (or raunchier) version of Forever, at least in terms of the pilot... you have the immortal British guy, the no-nonsense female detective, and both leads getting shot at the end of the episode... though I appreciate that Lucifer doesn't try to keep his immortality a secret (and actually flaunts it). The (when) will she find out element gets old quick.

• Love 3