Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

My concern with this is Mal isn't a writer.

Yes. That's why I said that a new EP with marching orders from CBS to FIX the show should be brought in as soon as possible. CBS/Sony should strip the EP role MY has, or at minimum make him a rung or more well OVER MY's power to hire, fire and whatever needs to be done. Like yesterday, tenure be damned! Give this person oversight over the writing and if the writing isn't to their liking, then whomever can get MY's ass fired and replaced. Somebody besides AMcD needs to be supervising her happy ass too. But believe me, CBS is looking hard at her situation too now. They'd have to be. They don't have any time to fuck around. MY isn't going to can his own ass, so somebody needs to do it or reduce his status and get a writer capable of doing the job.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 9

I see what you’re saying but imo Mal shouldn’t be writing at all. Ed Scott doesn’t try to write.

It’s insulting to writers. It’s a craft, and daytime U.S. soaps have a very particular style. 

Mal lets GT and JT wrote their own romcom according to their event last weekend.

He’s a hack. Pratt was better.

• Love 9

I basically agree with you, but Mal isn't going to fire himself, and I don't think he's planning on stepping away from writing the damn thing either. Somebody above his pay grade has got to step in. At this point, this isn't a Sony issue. They function as the production mechanism and they're there at the pleasure of CBS. Somebody within CBS above AMcD's level has got to weigh in and start moving people toward the end of the plank and overboard. Just replacing the HW probably won't work if MY is still at the EP helm, because he'll just keep trying to horn in and impose his own will. It'll be the same thing all over again that SSM endured.

• Love 9

Pratt was better.

Now wait just a doggone minute. Let's not get carried away here. The only thing Chuckie has been better at is killing soaps. Y&R is lucky it's still standing after his turn at the bat.

Somebody besides AMcD needs to be supervising her happy ass too.

Much like certain speech-challenged veteran cast member, I suspect AMcD has photos of important people in the upper CBS hierarchy doing questionable things with farm animals and peanut butter.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 12

GT did an interview about Jack and Billy.

https://www.globaltv.com/theyoungandtherestless/latest/exclusive-yr-interview-gina-tognoni-kiss-and-tells-about-billy-and-jack/

I found this quote interesting: “When I was 19, we still wrote letters,” says the beauty, who goes by @ginatognoni on Twitter and Instagram. “When fan letters came in, they’d count it all up and then you knew what your fan count was. Things are very different now! I don’t want to ever post something just to keep up my numbers, but if I can spread anything that’s positive and loving and dwell on that, I’ll post it. It’s a way for me to connect with fans and I’m blessed to do what I do. I love it!”

Is this supposed to be some guage for popularity? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DivaT said:

GT did an interview about Jack and Billy.

https://www.globaltv.com/theyoungandtherestless/latest/exclusive-yr-interview-gina-tognoni-kiss-and-tells-about-billy-and-jack/

I found this quote interesting: “When I was 19, we still wrote letters,” says the beauty, who goes by @ginatognoni on Twitter and Instagram. “When fan letters came in, they’d count it all up and then you knew what your fan count was. Things are very different now! I don’t want to ever post something just to keep up my numbers, but if I can spread anything that’s positive and loving and dwell on that, I’ll post it. It’s a way for me to connect with fans and I’m blessed to do what I do. I love it!”

Is this supposed to be some guage for popularity? 

Wow. She just outed herself. And her M.O.

• Love 5

Abhi Sinha (Ravi) appeared on last night's episode of Designated Survivor (ABC). He played the brother of one of the main characters (played by Kal Penn). I couldn't get through the whole episode because this show is like West Wing if it were written by middle schoolers, but what I saw at the beginning cracked me up. Right out of the gate Abhi's character said, "Dating your boss. How does that work?" And then a few lines later he commented that he hated opera. Clearly there was a wee bit of shade being thrown at the Ravi character. A character on ABC/GH's competition. (And I'm guessing Abhi must've been okay with it since there was nothing subtle about it the eyerolling he did as he was saying those lines.)

Yo Mal, you can do better by Abhi Sinha as Ravi. A lot better than being Ashley's unpaid sounding board, counselor, and purse holder.

• Love 8

The pleasure with which I am watching Mal's Y&R tank in ratings. Overall numbers are crap but those demos are deadly. It's insane actually. Y&R has like 1.7 million more viewers than GH but GH is still beating them in the coveted 18-49 demographic??? And nipping on the heels of the 18-34? 

THIS is why show is balking at heavily pushing Teriah imo. They are afraid a same sex story will bleed the only demographic that Y&R has left (ie older and thus most likely conservative folk). 

But by all means CBS do let middle-aged cheating trash Philly giggle and cuddle and be WILD all over our screens. RME. Jason Thompson and Gina Tognoni will bring back Y&R's younger viewers.

Oh wait...

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,542,000 (-7,000/-213,000)
2. B&B 3,669,000 (+124,000/-161,000)
3. GH 2,804,000 (+82,000/+38,000) *
4. DAYS 2,379,000 (+122,000/+78,000)

* New high for Altman/Van Etten regime

Households
1. Y&R 3.17/11 (-.06/-.21)
2. B&B 2.57/8 (+.01/-.19)
3. GH 1.99/6 (+.01/-.03)
4. DAYS 1.67/6 (+.02/-.05)

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. GH 451,000 (+1,000/-27,000)
2. Y&R 444,000 (-21,000/-159,000)
3. DAYS 379,000 (+12,000/-29,000)
4. B&B 355,000 (-18,000/-152,000)

Women 18-49 Rating
1. GH 0.7/6 (+.01/-.04)
1. Y&R 0.68/6 (-.04/-.25) <—— ties low rating (4th straight week) *
3. DAYS 0.58/5 (+.01/-.05)
4. B&B 0.55/4 (-.02/-.23)

* Rounded to 0.7

Women 18-34 Viewers
1. Y&R 120,000 (-6,000/-23,000)
2. GH 116,000 (+2,000/-17,000)
3. B&B 109,000 (+3,000/-13,000)
4. DAYS 83,000 (+4,000/-4,000)

• Love 10
4 hours ago, miamama said:

THIS is why show is balking at heavily pushing Teriah imo. They are afraid a same sex story will bleed the only demographic that Y&R has left (ie older and thus most likely conservative folk). 

But by all means CBS do let middle-aged cheating trash Philly giggle and cuddle and be WILD all over our screens. RME. Jason Thompson and Gina Tognoni will bring back Y&R's younger viewers.

This is what's astounding to me, and I'm really fed up with a very vocal minority influencing every aspect of our lives.  An implied foursome (Nilly and Chellis: Too Gross Even For Bourbon Street) is perfectly fine with the upstanding citizens in Peoria, but heavens forbid they see an icky gay love story that builds slowly over time.

• Love 15

OK...I am of the "older" demographic...but I am by no means a conservative viewer.   Remember the adage (I think from Gloria Steinham?) that "Women are the only group that gets more radical with age" or some such? Women make up most of the soap audience, I think.  The problem, as I see it, is that the current writers and producers of soaps underestimate the intelligence of their audience.  It doesn't matter what age demo one is in...if a show is lousy, it's lousy.  If the writers pander to a certain segment of audience, it won't work in the long-run.  Shock and awe never last.  Good, old-fashioned story-telling wins every time.  A little romance, throw in some rivalry, an unexpected couple to root for, some light-hearted-ness, smart storytelling, a little intrigue, an interesting business or two, great acting (I'll settle for good acting), not letting one or two people eat the show, good supporting cast.  And that should be it.  It sounds like a lot, but it isn't.  With Y&R...most of the components are there.  How hard is it to get decent writers?  Is it the fault of the producers?  I have no idea.  I just know that I was kind of regularly watching it for awhile.  And now I'm not.  It is actually painful.

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, Kemper said:

It doesn't matter what age demo one is in...if a show is lousy, it's lousy.  If the writers pander to a certain segment of audience, it won't work in the long-run.

A million times this.

But they panic. Since Bill Bell died (or stopped writing full-time) the show has been lost. No true storyteller has run this ship since he left. The network panics and fires writers and hires writers and fires writers and each writer pushes a few characters and a few big (generally bad) ideas. And frankly the roster of writers they have to choose from (or they choose to choose from) is a joke.

Today show shared the THIRD promo featuring JT Hellstrom's return. The THIRD for a character who is coming back for a short visit. They are clearly desperate to get back a segment of the audience -- i.e. the coveted younger demo that they need for advertising rates.

Steve Burton's return to GH had a clear effect on that particular demo. So I think Y&R thinks there's some magic dust in this. lol. But you still need storytelling

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Kemper said:

OK...I am of the "older" demographic...but I am by no means a conservative viewer.   Remember the adage (I think from Gloria Steinham?) that "Women are the only group that gets more radical with age" or some such? Women make up most of the soap audience, I think.  The problem, as I see it, is that the current writers and producers of soaps underestimate the intelligence of their audience.  It doesn't matter what age demo one is in...if a show is lousy, it's lousy.  If the writers pander to a certain segment of audience, it won't work in the long-run.  Shock and awe never last.  Good, old-fashioned story-telling wins every time.  A little romance, throw in some rivalry, an unexpected couple to root for, some light-hearted-ness, smart storytelling, a little intrigue, an interesting business or two, great acting (I'll settle for good acting), not letting one or two people eat the show, good supporting cast.  And that should be it.  It sounds like a lot, but it isn't.  With Y&R...most of the components are there.  How hard is it to get decent writers?  Is it the fault of the producers?  I have no idea.  I just know that I was kind of regularly watching it for awhile.  And now I'm not.  It is actually painful.

Y&R has struggled with this for a long time. EPs/writers always have favorites that they overfeature. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, miamama said:

A million times this.

But they panic. Since Bill Bell died (or stopped writing full-time) the show has been lost. No true storyteller has run this ship since he left. The network panics and fires writers and hires writers and fires writers and each writer pushes a few characters and a few big (generally bad) ideas. And frankly the roster of writers they have to choose from (or they choose to choose from) is a joke.

Today show shared the THIRD promo featuring JT Hellstrom's return. The THIRD for a character who is coming back for a short visit. They are clearly desperate to get back a segment of the audience -- i.e. the coveted younger demo that they need for advertising rates.

Steve Burton's return to GH had a clear effect on that particular demo. So I think Y&R thinks there's some magic dust in this. lol. But you still need storytelling

JT isn't the return to bring anyone back. He was a fan favorite but by no means is he a big return that would increase ratings. I've watched those promos thinking, "who do they think JT is? VR/Drucilla." Even Muhney's Adam would be a bigger return.  TL was NOT to Y&R what SBu was to GH. Nowhere even close. And I suspect ratings won't budge. 

100% agree with your assessment on the problems with the show and what got us here. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Jaded said:

If Bill Spencer ever goes bust I'd love to see Brad Carlton return under the guise that he's been in witness protection all this time.

As long as he's got Cassie with him.  Let Abby choke on THAT!

• Love 11

Mckenna Grace, the former and now occasional backup Faith Newman, is costarring with Margot Robbie and Allison Janney in I, Tonya which opens wider in theaters on Dec. 22. She's plays a young Tonya Harding. The movie's been getting pretty good buzz.

Colleen Carlton? Isn't her heart still trying to bust out of Victor's chest cavity like one of those things in Alien? But boy I'd love it it they retconned that mistake and have it turn out that all this time Victor's had a random person's donation. AFAIC, no way he deserves to be kept alive by something that belonged to an Abbott.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 19
30 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Mckenna Grace, the former and now occasional backup Faith Newman, is costarring with Margot Robbie and Allison Janney in I, Tonya which opens wider in theaters on Dec. 22. She's plays a young Tonya Harding. The movie's been getting pretty good buzz.

Colleen Carlton? Isn't her heart still trying to bust out of Victor's chest cavity like one of those things in Alien? But boy I'd love it it they retconned that mistake and have it turn out that all this time Victor's had a random person's donation. AFAIC, no way he deserves to be kept alive by something that belonged to an Abbott.

Not even Buttbiscuit? I wouldn't mind if he had a fatal "accident".

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Cassie?  Or did you mean Colleen?  I'd be good with either.

Colleen, Snaporaz, thanks for catching that.  Of all the unnecessary deaths, Colleen was, IMO, the worst.

• Love 12

I agree that Colleen was the worse. Her death was one of the most senseless soap deaths I can remember. A close second was Dixie and the poison pancakes on AMC. 

Having Brad and Colleen come out of witness protection since the people after him died or were put in prison would be great. Then happen to have JT in town at the same time to see her in person.

• Love 11

Not even Buttbiscuit? I wouldn't mind if he had a fatal "accident".

Agreed on the "accident" but I wouldn't wish any of Billy's body parts on anyone.

A close second was Dixie and the poison pancakes on AMC. 

Right? Especially when you hear about the BTS stuff that was behind her being killed off is such a ridiculous way.

• Love 6

Has anyone else seen/participated in the newest Sony survey? The thrust of the survey was about television/movie viewing preferences, with a definite emphasis on Netflix. The survey asks about types of programming watched, whether there were enough options and finally whether a viewer would watch if a favorite show moved completely off network programming and was produced and watched only on Netflix. Now, that might be because I indicated that when I use such an option to watch a movie or original series that I tended to use Netflix more than the other options. I had indicated that I regularly watch Y&R and that my "favorite" television series is The Americans. The survey wrapped up by asking whether I would watch these programs if they were strictly shown exclusively through Netflix (to which I responded, yes). Might Sony be weighing going to Netflix since the ratings are so poor on CBS (and they may not have another option if CBS cancels it), or they could be trying to not have to pay the network licensing fees. Anyone else have some ideas?

• Love 1
On 12/8/2017 at 9:09 PM, miamama said:
On 12/8/2017 at 8:55 PM, Kemper said:

It doesn't matter what age demo one is in...if a show is lousy, it's lousy.  If the writers pander to a certain segment of audience, it won't work in the long-run.

A million times this.

A million one :)

• Love 9
On 12/9/2017 at 7:56 AM, DivaT said:

TL was NOT to Y&R what SBu was to GH. Nowhere even close. And I suspect ratings won't budge. 

I have a feeling a decent amount of people will watch to see if TL/AH look awkward in scenes together.  Enough to change the ratings?  Probably not.

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I have a feeling a decent amount of people will watch to see if TL/AH look awkward in scenes together.  Enough to change the ratings?  Probably not.

Yeah, TL was pretty minor AFAIC. I adored him and Colleen but his pairing with AH? bleh. I was so disappointed when they made Reed his. I thought there was way more story making him Brad's kid. JT was boring af.

And the other huge issue here is that he's only on for a short stint. Silly to promote him so much. And the latest promo was JT and Victoria, like that was some big deal. It never was. To me he was his best as a Glow by Jabot kid and then with Colleen. Even his sleuthing with Paul was a fail. Just boring. Watching him with Mac the Good I wanted to gouge my eyes out. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, miamama said:

lmao, you guys. Promo NUMBER FOUR about TL's return.

giphy.gif

Wow, isn't that just about the most underwhelming thing, surely bound to NOT raise the ratings!  JT is back, and unlike when he left doesn't seem to be deceased.  I sorta liked him with Colleen but after that he had all the wallop of instant oatmeal.  Not that a little instant oatmeal isn't be appreciated with the current back-of-the-fridge, moldy, past-it's-sell-by-date garbage we're getting at Mal's Drive In these days, but......at least for me.......the return of JT is better than, say, the return of Amber, but not as good as a holiday visit from, say, Nina.

Edited by boes
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Is it possible that Mal thinks character JT is actor JT? 

No doubt.  Even worse, does Actor JT think he is character JT? Does Gina?

Because I think they're both more like a can of Alpo gone bad.

• Love 13

Might Sony be weighing going to Netflix since the ratings are so poor on CBS (and they may not have another option if CBS cancels it), or they could be trying to not have to pay the network licensing fees.

AMC and OLTL fans everywhere say, "Good luck with that."

• Love 9