Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

So when Mal Young appeared at Y&R I heard he was from the UK and he had some connection to EastEnders. I assumed he was a writer or EP or both. I never really bothered to look into it. So I assumed he knew good soap (thinking of old EastEnders). But now that his shit is killing my show worse than Pratt (and I do not say this lightly) within about a WEEK, I got curious. First I went to Wikipedia and then IMDB and saw that Mal has never written for EastEnders. Basically he has only ever produced shows. He had some good success early with ratings on his first show and then basically went on to be an exec. 

(From Wikipedia): Young began his career in graphic design. At age 27 he began working in television, on the Channel 4 soap opera Brookside. Over nearly a decade, he worked his way up to become the show's producer in the early 1990s. His tenure was criticised for taking the show away from its social realist roots towards a more sensationalist, ratings-chasing format. He achieved record ratings for the series and for Channel 4.

He's the UK version of Chuck Pratt. Basically his great ratings on this show Brookside gave me him some clout and that's why he went on to EP and have senior positions at BBC drama.

Then I found this Guardian article -- How EastEnders lost the plot -- from 2004 when EastEnders was struggling. It's a fascinating read about the show's decline but the relevant bits: 

"Yet those who have been with the series for some years believe its real problem lies not with the actors but the increasingly fevered attempts to appeal to viewers using new storylines rather than by concentrating on developing existing characters and allowing them to play off one another.

'We cannot keep on competing by simply throwing more and more at our audiences,' one disenchanted writer said this weekend. 'We have to keep our nerve somehow and look at the original point of setting a story in the East End of London.'

Others believe that Mal Young, the dynamic head of drama series at the BBC, is the real root of the problem. A demanding and powerful personality, Young first made his name as the co-creator with Phil Redmond of Channel 4's groundbreaking Liverpool-based soap, Brookside .

'To be honest, one of the most difficult elements of the job of producing EastEnders is dealing with Mal,' said a former writer on the series.

'Mal Young rides in every now and then and gives out his ideas, which you have to follow. He is quite scattergun and I think that can be very frustrating,' said a writer on the show who has since left the BBC. 'He was brought in as a populariser and even once appeared in Hello! with his girlfriend. In some ways he is not a very good fit with EastEnders .'"

It all makes sense to me now. Why Sally was pushed out. Why this completely unqualified man (he has never before been a writer of a long-term series) thinks a pairing as silly as Philly (played by two newbies no less) should define the Young and Restless. Why he shamelessly uses the show to promote his wife's music. And why the show has taken such a turn into trash in such a short time with him solely in charge.

Edited by miamama
  • Love 21
16 minutes ago, miamama said:

It all makes sense to me now. Why Sally was pushed out. Why this completely unqualified man (he has never before been a writer of a long-term series) thinks a pairing as silly as Philly (played by two newbies no less) should define the Young and Restless. Why he shamelessly uses the show to promote his wife's music. And why the show has taken such a turn into trash in such a short time with him solely in charge.

THIS. It's truly amazing how all the pieces fit together.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

THIS. It's truly amazing how all the pieces fit together.

Right? I could never make sense of his hard on for Philly. Remember when he said he made a "reel of Philly" to show network execs their romcom master class? LMAO. I mean huh? Who would look at that sad vile affair played by miserable weepy GT and asshole sneering JT and think That is some FUNNY shit! 

Mal is an idiot. But he's a big personality (ie bully). And there you have it. Sally is out and this show is doomed. But Mari Wilson (ie Mrs. Mal Young) will find a U.S. audience!!!!!

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, miamama said:

Who would look at that sad vile affair played by miserable weepy GT and asshole sneering JT and think That is some FUNNY shit! 

And not just that....but believe they should be the HEROIC LEAD CHARACTERS.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, MotherInLaw said:

So JT is coming back?  That must be terribly awkward BTS.  He's got to have most of his scenes with AH and they're in the middle of a divorce.  Eeek.

Are they officially divorcing? Because she seems happy about it and posted a pic of them together on Twitter.

LMAO. Oh, JT. Yes, the show is so much better now, huh? And the new promo is ridiculous. Philly romcomcom, guys! We're back to Billy stalking Phyllis aggressively just like when they fell in love! Mal is a genuis! 

• Love 3

I'm so happy JT is coming back!!! He still looks great and I've always loved that character. 

Also rumor has it he's coming to usher out Mop/be part of her death story.

the actor and actress are in the middle of a divorce complicated by his wealth now as a big time producer. I wonder if he's doing this as a favor to her or to butter her up. 

• Love 4

Also rumor has it he's coming to usher out Mop/be part of her death story.

What? Boy, I hadn't heard anything even remotely like that. The bit of a spoiler I read about JT's return to GC is that he's coming because he feels the need to exercise some parental direction for Reed and reinforcing Victoria's role. I believe she's going to go hardline against Billy having anything further to do with Reed, because he's used Billy to undercut her authority.  I don't see CBS letting MY off Victor's namesake. 

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 4

Yes. I remember that, but it was something Nikki was okay with because (IIRC) didn't she believe she was pregnant with Victor's baby when he procured a husband for her? She wan't in love with Kevin. Victor foisted him on Nikki.

• Love 2

Of course, Kevin Bancroft, played by Christopher Holder! Now I remember.  He went from Y&R to AMC where he played Wade Mathews - he was pretty good at being slimy bad on that show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Toomuchsoap said:

Yes. I remember that, but it was something Nikki was okay with because (IIRC) didn't she believe she was pregnant with Victor's baby when he procured a husband for her? She wan't in love with Kevin. Victor foisted him on Nikki.

nikki thought at first victor was the daddy and he told her absolutely not..he'd had a vasectomy...i think she had already been boinking kevin cause he was the next possible candidate.

• Love 4
On 8/30/2017 at 11:22 AM, Toomuchsoap said:

Now, if was he fired for the harassment as the internet rumors said, the network/Sony would have had an "out" for that, but from everything I've been able to dig out on that and, based on comments I am aware from a source whose relative was previously with that show that the rumor was denied by HK herself. 

Hunter King has never publicly denied that Muhney sexually harassed or assaulted her despite the nasty attacks on her by his fans. In fact, her silence on the matter speaks louder than his denials. Although the way that the Weinstein reveal has been taking down sexual predators and harassers in Hollywood, I wouldn't be surprised if the allegations against Muhney resurface. Sony saved itself bad publicity by ditching him after they investigated her allegations. Kudos to Hunter for reporting him.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:
On 8/30/2017 at 8:22 AM, Toomuchsoap said:

Now, if was he fired for the harassment as the internet rumors said, the network/Sony would have had an "out" for that, but from everything I've been able to dig out on that and, based on comments I am aware from a source whose relative was previously with that show that the rumor was denied by HK herself. 

yes tms. i am also aware of the source you mention...if i recall, the source said that hk told this person that she never said he did...

i don't believe the RUMOR of what happened...i DO think they wanted him out tho.  apparently, there can be only one.

• Love 8

Mal's first week did shitty.

A few things to notice:

• Other shows (esp. Days and GH) had strong weeks. ALL OTHER shows had a bump this week (BB's was small but a bump nonetheless). So this isn't a soap trend thing. This bad week is Y&R-specific.
  • Key demos (the ones that determine ad rates) for Y&R continue very bad.
  • Monday was Y&R's strongest day (still Sally's "stuff", lol) and the numbers got progressively worse. This is fairly common; Monday starts strong but in this case a very bad sign since these were Mal's AWESOME NEW EPISODES. (You need to go to the original site to see this. I didn't want to paste so much.)
  • One week is maybe not a big deal but Thursday was the start of sweeps. And those numbers are a HUGE DEAL. Mal  knows it. That's why he is burning down buildings. If he doesn't show some kind of ratings bump, and fast, he -- and/or the show -- is in big trouble imo.

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,456,000 (-23,000/-170,000)
2. B&B 3,562,000 (+32,000/-176,000)
3. GH 2,750,000 (+219,000/+112,000)
4. DAYS 2,298,000 (+156,000/+116,000)

Households
1. Y&R 3.22/11 (same/-.16)
2. B&B 2.58/9 (+.03/-.19)
3. GH 2.0/7 (+.13/same)
4. DAYS 1.67/6 (+.08/-.02)

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. Y&R 469,000 (-22,000/-105,000)
2. GH 434,000 (+31,000/-18,000)
3. B&B 372,000 (-25,000/-136,000)
4. DAYS 367,000 (+4,000/-4,000)

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 0.72/6 (-.04/-.17) <—— ties low rating *
1. GH 0.67/6 (+.05/-.03) *
3. B&B 0.57/5 (-.04/-.22)
3. DAYS 0.57/5 (+.01/same)

* Rounded to 0.7

Women 18-34 Viewers
1. Y&R 119,000 (+2,000/-21,000)
2. B&B 97,000 (-8,000/-23,000)
2. GH 97,000 (-12,000/-20,000)
4. DAYS 71,000 (-10,000/-6,000)

Women 18-34 Rating
1. Y&R 0.34 (same/-.06) <—— ties low (4th straight week) *
2. B&B 0.28 (-.02/-.07)
2. GH 0.28 (-.03/-.06)
3. DAYS 0.2 (-.03/-.02)

* Rounded to 0.3

Women 25-54 Viewers
1. Y&R 768,000 (-16,000/-70,000)
2. GH 646,000 (+64,000/+3,000)
3. B&B 604,000 (-29,000/-127,000)
4. DAYS 473,000 (+14,000/-32,000)

Women 25-54 Rating
1. Y&R 1.25 (-.03/-.12)
2. GH 1.06 (+.11/+.01)
3. B&B 0.99 (-.04/-.21)
4. DAYS 0.77 (+.02/-.06)

Edited by miamama
to add link
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

.if i recall, the source said that hk told this person that she never said he did.

Not that I have any horse in this race, but I've heard this as well.

• Love 3

I was just coming here to comment on how AWFUL the music has become on Y&R, but reading back a little, now I know why.  Mal Young's wife is actually responsible for that dreck??  All that background music with vocals makes the dialogue muddy (heh, not necessarily a bad thing I suppose, but does make it hard to hear) and sounds like some sort of stupid, overly-dramatic, bad music video from the 90s.  I guess it was too much to hope the improvement of six months ago or so would stick; I was hoping the soap was returning to some of its former glory.  Fleeting glimpses of improvement only, I guess. 

I remember back a few years ago the background music suddenly included lots of vocals.  But it didn't last.  Maybe other geezers like me complained about not being able to hear any of the dialogue over the insipidly terrible music, and they backed off.  One can only hope that happens again....

• Love 15

A lot of the music I have in my collection has come from hearing it on TV shows or in movies. But the people who produced that music were actual artists and their stuff actually can stand on its own. This crap I've been hearing on Y&R of late seems to me like that noise that makes you want to exit the elevator or the store as quickly as possible. What's the point? Are Mal and Mrs. Mal going to put out a Y&R soundtrack album? Who would buy it?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 10

The cheesy music is really being overused, and standing out NOT in a good way. Seeing here it's his wife explains it all now!

The Mal Young camera work and perspective: doesn't bother me, since the horse was already out of the barn YEARS ago about sticking to the Bill Bell/classic Y&R moody lighting and camera viewpoint. 

I'm just disappointed. I thought there could be a good marriage between the Sussman writing and some "fresh" Mal Young quickening of the pace. I did like his change to more storylines happening simultaneously. Last two weeks of 100% Mal Young's work have be feeling more akin to the Chuck Pratt era. 

• Love 8
On 11/6/2017 at 9:36 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

A lot of the music I have in my collection has come from hearing it on TV shows or in movies. But the people who produced that music were actual artists and their stuff actually can stand on its own. This crap I've been hearing on Y&R of late seems to me like that noise that makes you want to exit the elevator or the store as quickly as possible. What's the point? Are Mal and Mrs. Mal going to put out a Y&R soundtrack album? Who would buy it?

Mal tweeted a link to the iTunes Buy of his wife's song (Jack's album) the week it aired. It was co-written by Y&R's music guy. So he seems to think Y&R fans will buy it.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, miamama said:

Mal tweeted a link to the iTunes Buy of his wife's song (Jack's album) the week it aired. It was co-written by Y&R's music guy. So he seems to think Y&R fans will buy it.

I've read elsewhere that some of those Chelsea 2.0 clothes were designed by Y&R's wardrobe person. I wouldn't pay money for those either...

• Love 5

So those of us who think Mal Young is a hack and that firing Sally to let him run the ship solo was the biggest mistake in a long string of mistakes show has made (okay, hiring Pratt might be up there), might not be surprised by the latest ratings. However, that GH knocked Y&R out of the top spot in KEY DEMOS during November sweeps is a hell of a blow.

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,415,000 (-41,000/-179,000)
2. B&B 3,491,000 (-71,000/-218,000)
3. GH 2,763,000 (+13,000/+125,000)
4. DAYS 2,190,000 (-108,000/+17,000)

Households
1. Y&R 3.15/11 (-.07/-.21)
2. B&B 2.53/9 (-.05/-.2)
3. GH 1.99/7 (-.01/+.02)
4. DAYS 1.58/5 (-.09/-.04)

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. GH 487,000 (+53,000/+37,000) *
2. Y&R 432,000 (-37,000/-164,000)

3. B&B 348,000 (-24,000/-146,000)
4. DAYS 347,000 (-20,000/-32,000)

* First time sole #1 since June 9-13, 2014

Women 18-49 Rating
1. GH 0.75/6 (+.08/+.05) ***
2. Y&R 0.67/6 (-.05/-.25) <—— ties low rating (2nd straight week) *

3. B&B 0.54/5 (-.03/-.22) <—— ties low rating **
4. DAYS 0.53/5 (-.04/-.06)

* Rounded to 0.7
** Rounded to 0.5
*** First time sole #1 since June 9-13, 2014

Women 18-34 Viewers
1. GH 119,000 (+22,000/+6,000)
2. Y&R 96,000 (-23,000/-48,000)

3. DAYS 86,000 (+15,000/+5,000)
4. B&B 80,000 (-17,000/-45,000) <—— new low *

* Previous low: 82,000 (May 29 – June 2, 2017)

Women 18-34 Rating
1. GH 0.34 (+.6/+.01)
2. Y&R 0.28 (-.06/-.14) <—— ties low (5th straight week) *

3. DAYS 0.25 (+.05/+.02)
4. B&B 0.23 (-.05/-.13) <—— ties low rating **

* Rounded to 0.3
** Rounded to 0.2

I have to say. I only give a shit about Y&R. But in the last couple of weeks I've found myself checking into GH a little bit. Not watching and not even reading recaps but looking on Twitter when people tweet clips of SBs return as Jason. I used to watch GH and I'm semi interested because bringing him back is rooted in history, in the actor who defined the character for decades. THIS IS WHAT BRINGS BACK LAPSED VIEWERS.

Stupid Y&R thinks letting Mal Prattify the show with really really contrived disasters, and put two newbies who are decimating the history of the show and their characters as the leading ROMCOM pair will bring back viewers???? ugh. 

Sally was not allowed to run a show without Mal's interference, that was obvious. Maybe she was presenting too slow a pace for 2017 but she should have been given one year without interference. And then perhaps a co-HW who respects her (ie not Mal) but who can add the quicker pace necessary should have been brought in.

Instead this hack with a history of hackery from across the pond has been given free reign. 

Edited by miamama
  • Love 13

Those ratings are bad. And I'm not at all upset about them considering the accounting I heard coming out of the GT/JT fan event this weekend. 

On 11/5/2017 at 9:58 AM, valleycliffe said:

yes tms. i am also aware of the source you mention...if i recall, the source said that hk told this person that she never said he did...

i don't believe the RUMOR of what happened...i DO think they wanted him out tho.  apparently, there can be only one.

I believe it happened and they used that as an excuse to get him out. JFP clearing the way for SBu. 

Edited by DivaT
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, miamama said:

Stupid Y&R thinks letting Mal Prattify the show with really really contrived disasters, and put two newbies who are decimating the history of the show and their characters as the leading ROMCOM pair will bring back viewers???? ugh. 

The ratings will get worse and worse. Here.for.it.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

The ratings will get worse and worse. Here.for.it.

But but but Philly...are....so LIT. I mean there was a FIRE AND EVERYTHING....and, like, they were so funny and sexy and messy.

Mal destroyed a set. He completely shifted directions -- Jack wuvs Billy and blames him for NOTHING, Villy are dead, Philly romcom is ON fire (hee, get it, fire).

Mal gambled big for his first full week. And he lost big. And he can't blame Maria and Tessa because he lost in the YOUNGER DEMOS. That's where show should gain with Teriah. If they are going to suffer because of a same-sex storyline that would be seen with a drop in older viewers. GH and Days are gaining viewers. So it's not a trend in soap viewership. This is just plain bad for....Mal.

I hope Sally is laughing her ass off right now.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, miamama said:

But but but Philly...are....so LIT. I mean there was a FIRE AND EVERYTHING....and, like, they were so funny and sexy and messy.

Mal destroyed a set. He completely shifted directions -- Jack wuvs Billy and blames him for NOTHING, Villy are dead, Philly romcom is ON fire (hee, get it, fire).

Mal gambled big for his first full week. And he lost big. And he can't blame Maria and Tessa because he lost in the YOUNGER DEMOS. That's where show should gain with Teriah. If they are going to suffer because of a same-sex storyline that would be seen with a drop in older viewers. GH and Days are gaining viewers. So it's not a trend in soap viewership. This is just plain bad for....Mal.

I hope Sally is laughing her ass off right now.

Expect everyone to be blamed EXCEPT Philly and JT. 

But I kinda disagree with the logic a bit. If the show lost demos, wouldn't that mean that Teriah aren't sparking with that group anymore than the other current pairings?

8 hours ago, DivaT said:

Expect everyone to be blamed EXCEPT Philly and JT. 

But I kinda disagree with the logic a bit. If the show lost demos, wouldn't that mean that Teriah aren't sparking with that group anymore than the other current pairings?

Right. Nothing is sparking enough (at all) to drive numbers up. But CBS’s fear of doing a same sex story was never about losing younger viewers. If we saw significant drops in older demos I think the assumption by execs would be older, more conservative viewers are put off. 

In other words imo Mal can’t blame these bad numbers on the “risky” same sex relationship story. 

I am positive Philly and JT (and GT) will continue to be the ship Mal pushes (and hopefully dies on).

• Love 10

In other words imo Mal can’t blame these bad numbers on the “risky” same sex relationship story. 

Especially since it's barely been a story. CBS knew that storyline wasn't going to fly with their core conservative audience and I am confident they'll use the ratings fall as the excuse to curtail it, knowing that they weren't really behind it begin with. Next I expect they'll introduce a young male character who has Aspergers or high-functioning autism, and/or a military vet. Because CBS.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Especially since it's barely been a story. CBS knew that storyline wasn't going to fly with their core conservative audience and I am confident they'll use the ratings fall as the excuse to curtail it, knowing that they weren't really behind it begin with. Next I expect they'll introduce a young male character who has Aspergers or high-functioning autism, and/or a military vet. Because CBS.

They never gave it a chance, they truncated it in the most insulting way.

• Love 7

I don't think Teriah is over at all. I think they'll play it the exact same way they'd play a het couple.  I see it playing out as pining and longing until they give into their desires/love. I am also predicting a full on physical affair behind Noah and Devon's backs. Only way it doesn't happen is if CBS pulls the plug cause they think demos want to see something else. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, DivaT said:

I don't think Teriah is over at all. I think they'll play it the exact same way they'd play a het couple.  I see it playing out as pining and longing until they give into their desires/love. I am also predicting a full on physical affair behind Noah and Devon's backs. Only way it doesn't happen is if CBS pulls the plug cause they think demos want to see something else. 

That would be nice. Teriah have great chemistry, but I doubt CBS has the intestinal fortitude to do it. Even the Mouse and the Peacock have had shows with gay characters for years, nay decades.

• Love 6

I think Teriah is a go as well. And the pining will be stretched out so they can avoid showing much in the way of physical sex (as all soaps do with same sex). But I can also see CBS saying, yikes these ratings are scary. This is not the time to risk losing our loyal base (the one that presumably nixed various "risky" stories in the past) so let's shelve for another time.

I just wonder how long show will let the ratings slide before firing Mal (or Angelica or something major). Y&R is so low in the 18-34 numbers that Days could actually pass them in the next week (they are on an upswing). To wit:

1. GH 119,000 (+22,000/+6,000)
2. Y&R 96,000 (-23,000/-48,000)
3. DAYS 86,000 (+15,000/+5,000)

The thing about Mal is that he is not new. This isn't actually only his second week. He's been showrunner for like 18 months now. I just don't see how he isn't held responsible for the past 18 months. Twitter stans who love him can keep blaming Sally all they want but JFP -- the EP -- was fired for shit ratings. EP is the one in charge of everything

My point being a new HW should be given some time. But Mal is in a unique position. I figured they'd give him through Feb sweeps no matter what. But now I don't know.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

yes, a teenage austic doctor/surgeon who has to battle the other doctors at the hospital to get respect....

• Love 6

Angelica was the one tweeting about character driven story lines when Sally was first hired, correct? Has anyone tweeted her asking her about that since Sally left and Mal took over? I'm just wondering what her reaction would be or if she's said anything about the new direction of the show since Mal took over.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

yes, a teenage austic doctor/surgeon who has to battle the other doctors at the hospital to get respect....

Exactly, or some guy in the heretofore unknown WI space program (perhaps a new division of NE created by Victoria after she reads an article about some guy who owns an electric car company ?). And for the military vet they can just bring back Chance.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
yeah, no, decided not to give that guy any plugs
  • Love 5

He's been showrunner for like 18 months now. I just don't see how he isn't held responsible for the past 18 months.

And I believe he will be. It's just a matter of time. Hopefully not too much time, though. I expect there's been a significant circular firing squad going on BTS for a bit now, with MY blaming JFP and Pratt for the status quo, then MY blaming SSM and KA, and now MY and AMcD pointing fingers at each other. I don't know what they're going to do about the current state of affairs at Y&R and, simultaneously, with B&B, which I don't watch and couldn't care less about, except it's probably a bell weather about Y&R's fate if anything should happen to it.

• Love 6

I think MY played brilliant politics BTS to get in this position of complete control.  Sabotage and all. Now he's got to deliver.  He's relying on shock and awe and JT/Philly.  I don't think that's going to reap what he expects.  I'm wondering how long it'll be before he gets desperate enough to change things up. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, DivaT said:

I think MY played brilliant politics BTS to get in this position of complete control.  Sabotage and all. Now he's got to deliver.  He's relying on shock and awe and JT/Philly.  I don't think that's going to reap what he expects.  I'm wondering how long it'll be before he gets desperate enough to change things up. 

I don't think he has the capacity to go beyond the stans. In his mind he's doing great.

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't think he has the capacity to go beyond the stans. In his mind he's doing great.

Mal will have live and die by the ratings like others before him. Regardless of what Twitter buzzes over, they've got the reports. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DivaT said:

Mal will have live and die by the ratings like others before him. Regardless of what Twitter buzzes over, they've got the reports. 

Oh, for sure. I hope CBS/Sony kick his ass to the curb. But his hackery is a result of someone with little to no  talent for soaps being fawned over by Twidiots all day long. He's delusional if he looks at the latest ratings and still thinks he's in the catbird seat.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, for sure. I hope CBS/Sony kick his ass to the curb. But his hackery is a result of someone with little to no  talent for soaps being fawned over by Twidiots all day long. He's delusional if he looks at the latest ratings and still thinks he's in the catbird seat.

From reading his tweets, I think Mal Young's plan consists of giving every fanbase what they've been screaming for. Look how quickly he killed Juliet for the lane fans. Look how quickly he broke up the Villy relationship for Philly fans. He's still serving Teriah angst. Is talking good noise at the hevon fans. He stopped making Hillary desperate for Jordan for the Hilary fans. Victoria is back to being written as Victor's favorite child for the Victoria fans.... At Abby's expense no less.  I assume that's because Abby has very little support on Twitter.  I guess he thinks he can get away with it. 

• Love 6

You better believe the execs on high at CBS are eyeballing those ratings. That's some serious bad news for Y&R and it honestly doesn't bode well for MY. He's in the hot seat now and who is he going to blame for the wheels coming off? Sara Bibel? Puhleeze. They gave him double duty because he pitched that notion and there was nobody left at CBS or Sony to remember the fact that Bill Bell flatly refused to be both the HW and the EP. What they need to do is bring in a solid EP that's familiar with daytime drama stat, and let MY be the HW (for at least six months) under the observation and supervision of that EP. They did that initially when MAB was made the HW and co-EP during Paul Rauch's time. They made a huge mistake letting PR leave(?). The show fell apart when MAB wore both mantles. Bill Bell knew that no one could handle both functions properly simultaneously. Maybe they ought to bring back Ed Scott. He's got history with the show and an institutional memory of how it should function. I don't know what the big beef was about him in the last decade, but this is the time to start thinking about people who have the capability as a showrunner. There are certain things that MY has done that aren't bad. And I believe it's honestly too soon to make a judgement about his writing (though I think it's not looking very promising). A new co-EP, or completely removing the production role from MY is in order. Let the new EP make a recommendation to CBS in about six months - or sooner if the ratings don't improve. They probably need to be getting their ducks in a row and quietly scouting for new HW prospects. I don't know who they could get and the prospects out there with experience are pretty grim to contemplate. I'm seriously not optimistic about this show's chances. I wonder if Jamey Giddens is available.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Toomuchsoap said:

What they need to do is bring in a solid EP that's familiar with daytime drama stat, and let MY be the HW (for at least six months) under the observation and supervision of that EP.

My concern with this is Mal isn't a writer. His entire career has been as a producer on various shows. He should not be writing, full stop. And it's clear he wasn't keeping his EP hands out of SS's writing. That's why it was so disjointed for her entire (brief) tenure.

I saw on Twitter that Jamey Giddens revealed (in his podcast) Sussman had successfully pitched a story wherein Devon gets shot by a cop but that CBS chickened out at the last minute.  Hence his blah car crash. Okay, that would have been a good story. Black young man in a fancy car gets pulled over and shot by a white cop. Also Sally is behind the Mariah and Tessa love story (that she also pitched at the start of her tenure) and the only story I am remotely interested in: Dina's return. How is it that SHE IS GONE and the man who was sending reels of fucking romcom Philly is in charge of everything?????

I think the head of CBS Daytime, Angelica McDaniel should be fired immediately. What in the actual fuck is going on BTS????

And holy shit @DivaT but this is absolutely and horrifyingly true. This hack is using Twitter stans to determine story direction:

5 hours ago, DivaT said:

From reading his tweets, I think Mal Young's plan consists of giving every fanbase what they've been screaming for. Look how quickly he killed Juliet for the lane fans. Look how quickly he broke up the Villy relationship for Philly fans. He's still serving Teriah angst. Is talking good noise at the hevon fans. He stopped making Hillary desperate for Jordan for the Hilary fans. Victoria is back to being written as Victor's favorite child for the Victoria fans.... At Abby's expense no less.  I assume that's because Abby has very little support on Twitter.  I guess he thinks he can get away with it. 

• Love 12

This is the new normal. We are living a real life Idiocracy. Except at least in that movie President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho was intelligent enough to realize that in a crisis he should bring in someone who was very smart instead of fucking it up himself. The Kardashianization of America marches on....

• Love 13