Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
PsychedelicTrip

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

LOS ANGELES, CA - AUGUST 2: (from left to right) Actors Peter Bergman, Dayanara Torres Delgado and Michelle Stafford attend the taping of "The Young and the Restless" television show on August 2, 2004 at the CBS Television Network, in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

There are more images related to the one shown in the Jezebel article on the Getty Images site.

Okay, so the redhead is the Staph. Does anyone know who the brunette played?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Okay, so the redhead is the Staph. Does anyone know who the brunette played?

She played Elise Tomkins for two episodes apparently. Dayanara Torres was Miss Universe in 1993, Marc Anthony's first wife and an actress at different times in her life. Her two appearances on Y&R were in the same year her divorce from Marc was final. Here's an article about her from last year.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

Elise Tomkins. Okay, per some quick review of the old episode transcripts at TV Megasite, she was someone Jack dated briefly until Phyllis made a bit a trouble. (And Phyllis was a little heavier back then, huh?)

Thanks for digging up the info, y'all!

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The Jezebel website has a new article up about the history of daytime dramas called, The Complex, Contradictory History of the American Soap Opera. It's based on the book, Her Stories, by University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee professor Elana Levine. (Genoa City neighbors, represent!)

IMO the article is a bit pedantic and analytical, not particularly easy to read compared to what I usually see on Jezebel. However, it's thorough, especially about the early and heyday years of soaps. I think people who've been watching soaps--especially the shows now long-cancelled--will likely enjoy the remembrances scattered throughout the article.

Anyhoo, my bigger issue about this article is that it's headed by this photo:

KLfiYIM.jpg

As you can see, that's our guy Peter Bergman and a couple of other actresses. PB has a hairstyle that doesn't look Jack Abbott's but the camera shown in the photo has a CBS logo. So, maybe it's a Y&R shot (versus an AMC one) but I can't figure out the time frame or who those actresses/characters are. The redhead might be Lauren (Tracey E. Bregman) but for the life of me I can't identify the brunette.

What say ye, Preverts? What can you identify about this historical soap opera photo?

WOW!  How'd you do that?

I was pretty sure it was Stafford, but couldn't place the other female.

Well done!

• Like 4

47th Annual Daytime Emmy® Awards Ceremony Postponed

47th Annual Daytime Emmy® Awards Postponed in Response to COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

NEW YORK — The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) today released the following statement from NATAS Chairman, Terry O’Reilly:

“Given our concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic, we have decided that we will not be staging the 47th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards in Pasadena this coming June. As there are so many unknowns right now with the flow of information changing on a daily, almost hourly, basis, it would simply be irresponsible to move forward with our annual celebration of excellence in daytime television at this time.”

This is unfortunate news for the actors, writers, directors, and other production staff who rely on getting this recognition for their hard work. However, now that we're down to four soaps, the Daytime Emmy awards are a bit of a joke, IMO. The shows basically just rotate the awards among each other now.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 8

True enough re soaps but the daytime emmys cover all of daytime. Morning news shows, talk shows, game shows etc. as soap fans, we tend to think of the Emmys as just for us, but they’re really not 😀. Still it’s the right thing to do, and I’m sure all those nominated will be just as happy (maybe more so) to get out and party after this is over. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Oh, for sure postponing the awards ceremony is the right thing to do. I was surprised how this news was all over the soap media like it was a big deal. I just don't see why any soap viewers would care at this point.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, spinxella said:

Poor Greg, but thank God he's better.  

• Like 14

For a second there, I wondered if EB had stolen that tp from a public bathroom or something, since it was unwrapped! 

Had to look closely to see he'd pulled it out of the plastic wrap!!

• Laugh 6

If this has already been covered please point me in the right direction--but is it true during the COVID-19 Y&R will do one vintage episode a week to draw out what's filmed a little longer?

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

2 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

If this has already been covered please point me in the right direction--but is it true during the COVID-19 Y&R will do one vintage episode a week to draw out what's filmed a little longer?

That's news to me but what a good idea!

• Like 2

I haven't seen it reported on any of the reputable soap sites. Right now it's mostly just the more tabloid-y sites quoting each other, and their info seems largely based on comments I've seen on soap forums. Allegedly some of the cast is posting info about it on their twitter feeds but I don't follow any of them so....

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 4

Eh, the site referenced in that link is one of the tabloid-y soap sites that primarily deal in hearsay and gossip from other soap sites. That article doesn't cite anything official and mainly points to two cast members who are relatively backburnered.

I think odds are extremely good the classic episodes are indeed going to air but there does not appear to be any official word from CBS or TPTB at Y&R yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

So in Canada today we got a repeat  of the ep of the first day of the 50th NE party from just a few weeks ago.  I would love to have seen the classic ep above.  I guess I will watch it on a US channel.

• Like 3

I’ve seen the wedding before when it originally aired and several times afterwards. I remember thinking Roberta Leighton was so hot back then. I was really into more so than Nikki. Unfortunately, the last time she was on the show she destroyed her face with the plastic surgery. Just awful. 

Also, it was great seeing the Newman ranch. That was a great set. I forget who’s stupid idea it was to burn it down but I think they’re gone now.  Brenda Dickson was on fire as Jill. She played the hell out of that role. Even, when she got a little kooky at the end she was always enjoyable as Jill.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Like 7

On 4/3/2020 at 10:22 PM, ByaNose said:

I’ve seen the wedding before when it originally aired and several times afterwards. I remember thinking Roberta Leighton was so hot back then. I was really into more so than Nikki. Unfortunately, the last time she was on the show she destroyed her face with the plastic surgery. Just awful. 

Also, it was great seeing the Newman ranch. That was a great set. I forget who’s stupid idea it was to burn it down but I think they’re gone now.  Brenda Dickson was on fire as Jill. She played the hell out of that role. Even, when she got a little kooky at the end she was always enjoyable as Jill.

I think burning down the ranch was a decision from the brain trust of Maria Arena Bell.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, catalogrrr said:

I think burning down the ranch was a decision from the brain trust of Maria Arena Bell.

Yep, MAB messed up Show. She messed it up real good.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep, MAB messed up Show. She messed it up real good.

and, she is actually apart of the real family who created the show. How she wasn't banished from the family after that is a mystery to me.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 6

MAB only married into the Bell family so it's not as if she had a chance to inherit the soap-writing gene. If there even is such a gene because if so it must've skipped a generation given the situation over on B&B. 😒

• Like 2
  • Laugh 8

51 minutes ago, spinxella said:

mZCAig.jpg

I'm so happy they're all okay and so very appreciative of them sharing their story.  They seem like really nice and grounded people.

• Like 11

I didn't know Jordi's wife is  Bailee Madison's sister. I'm glad Jordi and his family are recovering.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I didn't know Jordi's wife is  Bailee Madison's sister. I'm glad Jordi and his family are recovering.

I definitely thought that Jordi was closer to age 50 than 40.  He looks so much better in this vid than he does on the show.  What are they doing to him on Y and R that makes him look so old and pretty much like Mario Cantone?

This was a very real and impactful post that they made, and I think it is quite helpful.  People don't know what this disease is and means outside of having to staying home.  It is brave of them to share their story.  They are a sweet couple.  This must have been so traumatic for all of them to get the virus. 

• Like 11
  • Laugh 1

CBS/Y&R announced another classic episode to air today (Friday, April 10):

My area is getting the COVID press conference this morning (they've usually been happening in our afternoon) so Y&R isn't airing here. I hope CBS is going to put this episode up on cbs.com like they did the wedding last week. I don't think I've seen this one.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 4

Neil and Dru on their honeymoon. 1993. Yup! I remember it well. Good times!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Neil and Dru on their honeymoon. 1993. Yup! I remember it well. Good times!

These Friday shows are so much more interesting and enjoyable than anything at ALL that we’ve seen in the past 10 years. I believe that if the soaps run out of already filmed episodes before they are able to return to filming, the soaps are done. They will never recover.

• Like 7

It's rumored that Sasha Calle was fired. She taped her last scenes already. Lola returns to Miami.

Tyler Johnson is still here for now... but Theo's time may be running out.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 2

I thought there were spoilers about something big and round happening for her character. 

• Like 4

Weird, I like the actress that plays Lola. Not sure I like this news. Can't they write out Summer and Kyle instead?

• Like 12
  • Useful 4

1 hour ago, spinxella said:

It's rumored that Sasha Calle was fired. She taped her last scenes already. Lola returns to Miami.

Tyler Johnson is still here for now... but Theo's time may be running out.

I don't like this.  I liked Lola, a lot, for a long time.  Kyle ruined it with Dummer's help.  Show must know something I don't because IMO Dummer drags things down as much as Phyllis does.  

I'm with jewel21 - lose Kyle and Dummer if the herd needs thinning.  And it goes without saying that Theo can be dismantled for parts ASAP.

• Like 10
  • Laugh 3

On 4/10/2020 at 2:26 AM, bannana said:

I definitely thought that Jordi was closer to age 50 than 40.  He looks so much better in this vid than he does on the show.  What are they doing to him on Y and R that makes him look so old and pretty much like Mario Cantone?

My guess?  Probably the same thing that ages women on TV, too much stage makeup.

• Like 8

I was actually warming to the "Theo" character; and there could have been a story to be mined with Theo and Lola...Kyle getting jealous.  Maybe with a different Kyle - this one is really dull.  I guess now we know who wins the competition Jack set up between Theo and Kyle.  And didn't the actress who plays Summer get a show that will air on prime time? I much prefer watching Lola to Summer.

• Like 11

Meh, that rumor about the actress who plays Lola has circulated once or twice before. The Theo actor may be contract renegotiations. I'll believe it when I see this news reported on a reputable soap media site. (Also, the site I usually go to for the BTS dirt is silent on this.)

Have to say though, it does look like the MWTs are running out of storyline for Lola. I think Kyle needs a foil though and putting him up against Billy (again) or Adam would not be believable to me. He's still wet behind the ears. They probably need to do more with Theo than have him be the thorn in Kyle's side.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

19 hours ago, Gam2 said:

These Friday shows are so much more interesting and enjoyable than anything at ALL that we’ve seen in the past 10 years. I believe that if the soaps run out of already filmed episodes before they are able to return to filming, the soaps are done. They will never recover.

Oddly enough Days won't have this issue as they have new episodes till October.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

4 hours ago, Kemper said:

I was actually warming to the "Theo" character; and there could have been a story to be mined with Theo and Lola...Kyle getting jealous.  Maybe with a different Kyle - this one is really dull.  I guess now we know who wins the competition Jack set up between Theo and Kyle.  And didn't the actress who plays Summer get a show that will air on prime time? I much prefer watching Lola to Summer.

Hunter King (Summer) says she'll be doing both shows.....and since this primetime show is just a pilot, there's no guarantee it will be picked up.  Just my opinion, but the premise of the show she's going to be starring in sounds really dumb.....I can't believe it would gain any sort of popularity and actually be picked up, but stranger things have happened, I guess.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Sasha has totallty wiped her IG and twitter accounts of anything to do with YR. I think she is a goner and thought as soon as they mentioned a restaurant in Miami. I sure won't miss her, I do wish Theo was going with her too.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2