Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

51 minutes ago, Kemper said:

The problem is that I don't think Phyllis has chemistry with any of the men on the show; it's her horrible acting choices.  When you are constantly trying to force your sexiness onto someone, it gets old and tiring.  The vamping, slinking, whispering, smugness, clothing, slithering, etc... all past their sell-by date.  I understand she probably has no choice on wardrobe...but all the rest is on her.  Plus her role is badly written.  If she would just tone things down it would go a long way to making her character palatable.  

I am surprised that Victoria didn't wake up with amnesia and think she and Billy were still happily married.  With regard to barring visitors to Victoria's hospital room....how does Victor have the right to do that?  Are she and Billy officially separated?  If not, I would think decisions like that would be up to Billy.  Lord help everyone.

Vic and Billy, while a couple until the recent split, are divorced.  They decided not to remarry when they got back together this last time.

So, with Billy out of the picture legally, would that make Victor and Nikki, by default, Victoria's medical proxies?  

All of  Victoria's choices are pretty poor in that regard.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
(edited)

Phyl+ Nick= 🤮
Will Nikki voice the same disapproval she does when she thinks he’s getting interested in Sharon? 
I hope Adam rats her out for helping him with Victor’s meds. 

Edited by PatsyandEddie
  • Love 11
On 3/5/2020 at 4:34 AM, PatsyandEddie said:

Phyl+ Nick= 🤮
Will Nikki voice the same disapproval she does when she thinks he’s getting interested in Sharon? 
I hope Adam rats her out for helping him with Victor’s meds. 

Nikki had Phyllis arrested at their first wedding. She may not love Sharon, but she's no Stephanie "Anyone is Better Than Brooke Logan" Forrester who will support any relationship to keep him from Sharon.

Plus, didn't Phyllis sell all three of them out in those JT murder hijinx? I'm hoping she hasn't forgotten that shit.

• Love 7
(edited)
33 minutes ago, pearlite said:

I was sad just now to see that Roscoe Born [Terrible Tom, Y & R, and other excellent villains] passed today. He was an actor I really enjoyed/

Me too!  I loved him on Ryan's Hope back in the early 80's when he played Joe Novak.  And he was unforgettable as Mitch Lawrence on OLTL and as the child molester on AMC as well.  Roscoe Born was a real talent no matter what character he played.

Edited by boes
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, spinxella said:

fz1gMp.jpg

Why then, can't ButtBiscuit just die happy after that kiss because "they connect".   If Amanda can't smell the rot then she's not as smart as she evidently thinks she is.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
(edited)

Who knew Theo was such a trendsetter?:

I Made the Oily Cakes From First Cow

Which is in reference to the new period piece film, First Cow. The plot is basically how some guys steal a cow to start an oily cakes business in frontier Oregon.

I'm guessing someone associated with Y&R is also familiar with either the movie or the book the movie's based on. Otherwise, having oily cakes ("cakes" seem a lot less suggestive than "balls" in this context, no?) be a part of Theo's bonding with Jack and Traci seems out there to me.

isn't that one of Phyllis' dresses, too?

Nope, it isn't (I checked Worn on TV). Besides, Phyllis wouldn't be caught dead in those puffy sleeves. Too "girly" for the wannabe vamp.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Nope, it isn't (I checked Worn on TV). Besides, Phyllis wouldn't be caught dead in those puffy sleeves. Too "girly" for the wannabe vamp.

I think you're looking at the wrong picture. The one we're talking about is a skin tight blue sleeveless number.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think you're looking at the wrong picture. The one we're talking about is a skin tight blue sleeveless number.

Ah, right. Yeah, with the stringy red wig and that dress it looks like Abby is cosplaying Phyllis. Maybe she's trying to spice things up with NotAChance? Hope he didn't accidentally call out Phyllis' name in bed. 😮

• LOL 8
(edited)

posted the following on the cbs sunday morning page. thought it belonged here, as well.

“let me start my saying that cbs sunday morning is my favorite part of sunday. however...

it pisses me off no end that the show rarely, if ever, acknowledges the network’s soaps, which, over the years, have generated billions — with a b — in revenue for cbs. in 2009 and 2010, they barely mentioned the cancellations of “guiding light” and “as the world turns.”

and this week, they failed the mention the death of lee phillip bell, who with her late husband, bill, created both of cbs’s remaining soaps:  ‘the young and the restless’ and ‘the bold and the beautiful.’

really? they do a passages segment every week. how much effort would it have taken? i just don’t get it.” 

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 16

I don't know why Corey Feldman insists of writing in all caps. It makes things so hard to read...Anyway, I know he was a victim of sexual abuse but not Kristoff St. John. So sad.

• Love 4

That is so incredibly sad.

Roscoe was a beautiful man and amazing talent.

Sorry, AM/Cruz, but he was mesmerizing with MW as Eden on Santa Barbara.

He had chemistry in spades with CG as then-Kelly. 

And he could turn my blood cold with his turn as Terrible Tom.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

Says Thompson of his character:  He's trying!  He's trying!

Someone should tell him that life really doesn't have to imitate art.  That sounded a little too much like Billy saying "I gotta be me!  I gotta be me!"

For the record, I'm not down with this "taking a long time", as Thompson indicates.......there's not one character on the show I care less about than his!

• Love 15

The Jezebel website has a new article up about the history of daytime dramas called, The Complex, Contradictory History of the American Soap Opera. It's based on the book, Her Stories, by University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee professor Elana Levine. (Genoa City neighbors, represent!)

IMO the article is a bit pedantic and analytical, not particularly easy to read compared to what I usually see on Jezebel. However, it's thorough, especially about the early and heyday years of soaps. I think people who've been watching soaps--especially the shows now long-cancelled--will likely enjoy the remembrances scattered throughout the article.

Anyhoo, my bigger issue about this article is that it's headed by this photo:

KLfiYIM.jpg

As you can see, that's our guy Peter Bergman and a couple of other actresses. PB has a hairstyle that doesn't look Jack Abbott's but the camera shown in the photo has a CBS logo. So, maybe it's a Y&R shot (versus an AMC one) but I can't figure out the time frame or who those actresses/characters are. The redhead might be Lauren (Tracey E. Bregman) but for the life of me I can't identify the brunette.

What say ye, Preverts? What can you identify about this historical soap opera photo?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The Jezebel website has a new article up about the history of daytime dramas called, The Complex, Contradictory History of the American Soap Opera. It's based on the book, Her Stories, by University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee professor Elana Levine. (Genoa City neighbors, represent!)

IMO the article is a bit pedantic and analytical, not particularly easy to read compared to what I usually see on Jezebel. However, it's thorough, especially about the early and heyday years of soaps. I think people who've been watching soaps--especially the shows now long-cancelled--will likely enjoy the remembrances scattered throughout the article.

Thanks for the article! And I'm going to Amazon for the book--about what I need at the moment. There were a few decent books about soaps in the early 90s but not much since then.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

KLfiYIM.jpg

As you can see, that's our guy Peter Bergman and a couple of other actresses. PB has a hairstyle that doesn't look Jack Abbott's but the camera shown in the photo has a CBS logo. So, maybe it's a Y&R shot (versus an AMC one) but I can't figure out the time frame or who those actresses/characters are. The redhead might be Lauren (Tracey E. Bregman) but for the life of me I can't identify the brunette.

What say ye, Preverts? What can you identify about this historical soap opera photo?

LOS ANGELES, CA - AUGUST 2: (from left to right) Actors Peter Bergman, Dayanara Torres Delgado and Michelle Stafford attend the taping of "The Young and the Restless" television show on August 2, 2004 at the CBS Television Network, in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

There are more images related to the one shown in the Jezebel article on the Getty Images site.

rsz_1rsz_2020-.jpg.87347c995501f4bc05a3655ad8d22e92.jpg

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

LOS ANGELES, CA - AUGUST 2: (from left to right) Actors Peter Bergman, Dayanara Torres Delgado and Michelle Stafford attend the taping of "The Young and the Restless" television show on August 2, 2004 at the CBS Television Network, in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

There are more images related to the one shown in the Jezebel article on the Getty Images site.

Okay, so the redhead is the Staph. Does anyone know who the brunette played?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Okay, so the redhead is the Staph. Does anyone know who the brunette played?

She played Elise Tomkins for two episodes apparently. Dayanara Torres was Miss Universe in 1993, Marc Anthony's first wife and an actress at different times in her life. Her two appearances on Y&R were in the same year her divorce from Marc was final. Here's an article about her from last year.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

Elise Tomkins. Okay, per some quick review of the old episode transcripts at TV Megasite, she was someone Jack dated briefly until Phyllis made a bit a trouble. (And Phyllis was a little heavier back then, huh?)

Thanks for digging up the info, y'all!

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

KLfiYIM.jpg

WOW!  How'd you do that?

I was pretty sure it was Stafford, but couldn't place the other female.

Well done!

• Love 4

47th Annual Daytime Emmy® Awards Ceremony Postponed

47th Annual Daytime Emmy® Awards Postponed in Response to COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

NEW YORK — The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) today released the following statement from NATAS Chairman, Terry O’Reilly:

“Given our concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic, we have decided that we will not be staging the 47th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards in Pasadena this coming June. As there are so many unknowns right now with the flow of information changing on a daily, almost hourly, basis, it would simply be irresponsible to move forward with our annual celebration of excellence in daytime television at this time.”

This is unfortunate news for the actors, writers, directors, and other production staff who rely on getting this recognition for their hard work. However, now that we're down to four soaps, the Daytime Emmy awards are a bit of a joke, IMO. The shows basically just rotate the awards among each other now.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 8

True enough re soaps but the daytime emmys cover all of daytime. Morning news shows, talk shows, game shows etc. as soap fans, we tend to think of the Emmys as just for us, but they’re really not 😀. Still it’s the right thing to do, and I’m sure all those nominated will be just as happy (maybe more so) to get out and party after this is over. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Oh, for sure postponing the awards ceremony is the right thing to do. I was surprised how this news was all over the soap media like it was a big deal. I just don't see why any soap viewers would care at this point.

• Love 6