Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:19 PM, spinxella said:

Beth Maitland talks about the Y&R regime change @ 1:00:55 and how they are getting the show back on course based specifically on what fans wants. She says CBS put a fan survey on social media and they listened to the feedback and made changes.

I enjoyed watching this very much.  Very interesting.  One thing Beth does, and that I try to avoid doing, is saying "I'm old".  Watching her in this interview, I don't think any of her younger co-panellists would think she is old. She doesn't sound or look old.

• Love 9

I'm glad Stafford hadn't started taping yet when Neil's memorial episodes were shot. Now that she's back I'm doubtful that VR may get the chance to come back again. 

• Love 10
19 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm glad Stafford hadn't started taping yet when Neil's memorial episodes were shot. Now that she's back I'm doubtful that VR may get the chance to come back again. 

do you think she will rule the roost again?

i would take vr over ms and her jazzhands any day.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Jaded said:

VR has sued CBS multiple times. Other actors aren't the issue. In fact MS and VR had a reconciliation of sorts about 5 years ago. They were both pumping gas at the same station, saw each other and were all "I love you". lmao. I wish I were making this up but they both declared it on Twitter at the time.

Anyways, the litigious stuff is the problem, not personalities. Which is not to say it can't be resolved. But I could see the brass saying no way, even if the HW/EP were okay with her returning.

The pic with VR, BJ and CK was nice. VR has said many nasty things about CK (and many others on set). So it looks like everyone was civil.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
47 minutes ago, miamama said:

The pic with VR, BJ and CK was nice. VR has said many nasty things about CK (and many others on set). So it looks like everyone was civil.

It's nice to know that for KSJ they are willing to put aside their longstanding differences.

• Love 20

‘Young and the Restless’ honors Kristoff St. John, his work

-- LOS ANGELES (AP) — As “The Young and the Restless” head writer Josh Griffith screened the episode in which Neil Winters’ family learns of his death, the tears began to flow.

Viewers might brace for a similar reaction when the CBS daytime serial says farewell to Neil and to Kristoff St. John, the actor who played the character for nearly three decades. St. John, who died at age 52 in February of heart disease, helped cement the prominence of major African-American characters in the traditionally white soap opera world.

During a four-episode story arc airing Tuesday through Friday, Neil’s friends and family gather in fictional Genoa City to remember the businessman whose full life included complicated relationships and a battle with alcoholism.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, miamama said:

VR has sued CBS multiple times. Other actors aren't the issue. In fact MS and VR had a reconciliation of sorts about 5 years ago. They were both pumping gas at the same station, saw each other and were all "I love you". lmao. I wish I were making this up but they both declared it on Twitter at the time.

Anyways, the litigious stuff is the problem, not personalities. Which is not to say it can't be resolved. But I could see the brass saying no way, even if the HW/EP were okay with her returning.

Folks on set have said many nasty things about her. Didn't PB call her crazy or something?  Bad blood all around. But that's neither here nor there. I also think it's more about the law suit, which was settled out of court after a judge agreed that she had grounds. And more importantly, Les Moonves was out to get her as he was with many others. He was blocking the door. Now that he's gone from CBS with dark clouds following him, that allowed VR to be prominent in this farewell. All my opinion except for the law suit being settled and the bad blood.... and Les. 

Edited by DivaT
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

She does. I'm so glad CBS is letting her participate in the memorial.

I need clarification re how she participates.  Is there a separate memorial with his fellow actors as they did with Catherine?  I'm confused as to how they could fit her into the Show memorial if she has been dead/lost since the fall off the cliff.  And hasn't been heard from even tho she is ohsonotdead.  She just shows up when Neil dies?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, MollyB said:

I need clarification re how she participates.  Is there a separate memorial with his fellow actors as they did with Catherine?  I'm confused as to how they could fit her into the Show memorial if she has been dead/lost since the fall off the cliff.  And hasn't been heard from even tho she is ohsonotdead.  She just shows up when Neil dies?

Right. She’s on for the non-scripted portion, like they did for JC. So is MiM.

Neither is appearing as their characters.

Edited by miamama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

Victoria Rowell@victoriarowell

· 23h

@AngelicaMcD it was good to finally meet you. This week is a special time.

Angelica Rosas McDaniel✔@AngelicaMcD

Great meeting you as well. Thanks for helping us celebrating Kristoff’s life and legacy.

7:19 PM - Apr 22, 2019 · Los Angeles, CA

image.png.c2b1f8af93fb97598e279454fe11250b.png

• Love 9
17 hours ago, DivaT said:

Folks on set have said many nasty things about her. Didn't PB call her crazy or something?  Bad blood all around. But that's neither here nor there. I also think it's more about the law suit, which was settled out of court after a judge agreed that she had grounds. And more importantly, Les Moonves was out to get her as he was with many others. He was blocking the door. Now that he's gone from CBS with dark clouds following him, that allowed VR to be prominent in this farewell. All my opinion except for the law suit being settled and the bad blood.... and Les. 

I think PB had a few words about it, but he was never particularly hyper-critical. Most all the comments made after she departed were several years later and at a time when she was spewing dreadful vitriol about castmates and others BTS, and it was one of those times that she had sued CBS. PB's remarks were something to the effect that she seemed "troubled." (The only thing remotely negative I've heard by anyone associated with the show about PB were directed at him you know who and most recently, the guy who plays Arturo had especially kind words about PB, who he described as a gracious and kind man).  I read a lot of those spews from her and she was being really pernicious. The stuff seemed over the top weird, and I remember during one of those episodes, it was taking place simultaneously when Brenda Dixon was in a clearly troubled time in her personal life. VR left the show and it was her decision. She wasn't fired, but it was her actions and criticisms after she left that made CBS and Sony not want anything to do with her again.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8

How is it that VR and Angelica McDaniel had never met?

Brotha, brotha, brotha. Calm down over there, Sean Dominic. I mean, you sorta fine and all but you will never be in Shemar's league. Enjoy basking in his reflected glory.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 9
  • Love 12

VR did indeed go through a spell where I would have called her Twitter presence "troubled" as well. She would sometimes just rant at CBS, and this was all about 3-4 years after she'd been on the show! It was when the soaps were dropping like flies (ATWT, OLTL, AMC) and so it seemed especially weird, like she was in denial that CBS was just sitting on a pot of money to bring her back.

It was like an ex colleague who is depressed, unhappy and lashing out an old job. That resentment shit can eat you up. 

• Love 12

Have to admit I'm surprised to see VR and CK in a pic together. Considering VR was vocal of how she didn't think CK fit who Lily should be... She preferred DS's version. 

Course they're actors and this is about KSJ not them so at least it seems professional.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Have to admit I'm surprised to see VR and CK in a pic together. Considering VR was vocal of how she didn't think CK fit who Lily should be... She preferred DS's version. 

i feel and felt the same way as vr..

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

i feel and felt the same way as vr..

Me too. I loved Davetta while she was there and threw a fit in the privacy of my own home when I found out CK was returning. Even though CK wasn't a favorite neither she or the character of Lilly deserved to be tied down by the likes of Cane/Daniel Goddard for most of the time she was on the show. 

• Love 11
On 4/23/2019 at 4:40 PM, Toomuchsoap said:

I think PB had a few words about it, but he was never particularly hyper-critical. Most all the comments made after she departed were several years later and at a time when she was spewing dreadful vitriol about castmates and others BTS, and it was one of those times that she had sued CBS. PB's remarks were something to the effect that she seemed "troubled." (The only thing remotely negative I've heard by anyone associated with the show about PB were directed at him you know who and most recently, the guy who plays Arturo had especially kind words about PB, who he described as a gracious and kind man).  I read a lot of those spews from her and she was being really pernicious. The stuff seemed over the top weird, and I remember during one of those episodes, it was taking place simultaneously when Brenda Dixon was in a clearly troubled time in her personal life. VR left the show and it was her decision. She wasn't fired, but it was her actions and criticisms after she left that made CBS and Sony not want anything to do with her again.

Doesn't change the fact that it was bad blood and nasty things said by all. VR isn't some saint, yet her stories from set weren't lies either. They may have called her "troubled" but I don't recall anyone ever calling her a liar.  People who kick up dust, especially surrounding  the subject of racism, are often called troublemakers. I'll leave it at that. 

Good thing is that seems to be over. I'm happy that peace had been made and the show included her in KSJs tribute. 

• Love 13
On 4/23/2019 at 9:06 PM, spinxella said:

"I am not an angry black woman with an ax to grind"

She knows she has to say this because this is how she will be perceived...even as folks who read this still say that VR is just scorned and angry and crazy.  

• Love 7
18 hours ago, DivaT said:

Good thing is that seems to be over. I'm happy that peace had been made and the show included her in KSJs tribute. 

If only we could get her back as Drucilla.

18 hours ago, DivaT said:

folks who read this still say that VR is just scorned and angry and crazy.  

I have to say, maybe I'm letting my bias toward VR show, but I always thought she had a legitimate beef.  I liked that EB was always on her side (at least I think I recall that he was).

• Love 14
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

I have to say, maybe I'm letting my bias toward VR show, but I always thought she had a legitimate beef.  I liked that EB was always on her side (at least I think I recall that he was).

We have had accounting after accounting come out of CBS. Plus we see it on our screens. Of course she has legitimate beef 

• Love 6

ICAM. The Winters et al needs someone to be the head of the family. They're trying to use Devon in that role but I don't think he's old or experienced enough. Dru could really bring a certain gravitas to the matriarch position, IMO. Either that or bring back Olivia or Mamie.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

ICAM. The Winters et al needs someone to be the head of the family. They're trying to use Devon in that role but I don't think he's old or experienced enough. Dru could really bring a certain gravitas to the matriarch position, IMO. Either that or bring back Olivia or Mamie.

ITA. I don't think Devon should be the head of the family either. That's a role for someone way older. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, DivaT said:

We have had accounting after accounting come out of CBS. Plus we see it on our screens. Of course she has legitimate beef 

I was referring to the time before all of this came out and people said she was nuts.  I believed her then and was happy she was vindicated when the truth came out.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know. Devon has always seemed like a little old man to me.

Devon is definitely a more serious character. Always has been. His character wasn't afforded the stories that provided opportunity for much light or happiness or fun over the years. He's had one tragedy after the another befall him. 

Edited by DivaT
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, DivaT said:

Devon is definitely a more serious character. Always has been. His character weren't afforded the stories that provided opportunity for much light or happiness or fun over the years. He's had one tragedy after the another befall him. 

I think he's an old soul. He never partied or flirted around the like the other kids in his cohort.

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think he's an old soul. He never partied or flirted around the like the other kids in his cohort.

I think it's more behind the reasons for that other than him being an old soul. Though said reasons resulted in Devon's characterization. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Did Neil and Malcolm have other relatives we weren't aware of like a cousin or something.

• Love 1

Did Neil and Malcolm have other relatives we weren't aware of like a cousin or something.

Hmm, they have a cousin-in-law in LA named Justin Barber. He's probably not interested in moving to some small burg in the upper Midwest though. 😉

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Hmm, they have a cousin-in-law in LA named Justin Barber. He's probably not interested in moving to some small burg in the upper Midwest though. 😉

Only death would separate Justin from his beloved $Bill. Or if $Bill banished him.

Malcolm should be the new patriarch, having to find his legs as he has the role of responsible patriarch thrust upon him but no way is Shemar staying on and no way should they try recasting Malcolm anytime soon.

But dang, Malcolm getting advice from Jack who also had the patriarch role thrust upon him would be great and honestly I wouldn't mind a round of Malcolm/ Phyllis as they actually have history and seeing her be a real friend helping him through his grief would help rehab her character a bit.

• Love 4

On the subject of Victoria Rowell and her lawsuit, I do think she could be brought back after what's happened. Now if the writers see a need for Drucilla is another story, but it could definitely happen. She did an interview where she said that even Peter Bergman came up to her and embraced her she she returned to film the tribute and they both put down the sword. Daniel Goddard said in the Michael Fairman podcast that the entire crew came down to applaud her and  welcome her back. Between that and fan comments, the people in charge now have first hand knowledge of her value.

A troublemaker wouldn't have been welcomed back to the set by a crew. The crew is usually how you can tell who the troublemakers are because they're the main ones being mistreated. Victoria Rowell came before the #MeToo and diversity movements and she took the hit for everyone. I truly believe if not for her Bryton and Kristoff would've been fired and we never would've gotten Sofia, Hilary or Tyra, all brought on by her advocacy. Hell, she shamed them into hiring their first and ONLY black writer in history. I will forever respect her for taking the hit she did. Now that we know more of what's been going on at CBS (and other networks) it validates her. Hell, Yvette Nicole Brown who has appeared on Y&R and is a primetime/movie star said that she, like VR, had to go get her hair done before taping because most sets she's on don't have people who can fix black peoples hair. Nothing VR said was crazy, but people don't like to have honest conversations about race and they get defensive.

Also, in terms of her lawsuit, she and CBS reached a confidential settlement which tells me there was merit to it. For one black woman to reach an agreement with CBS speaks volumes. It's just a shame this all had to happen. I wish Brad Bell was allowed to bring her on B&B as was documented in her lawsuit. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 16
8 hours ago, KnotsLanding said:

On the subject of Victoria Rowell and her lawsuit, I do think she could be brought back after what's happened. Now if the writers see a need for Drucilla is another story, but it could definitely happen. She did an interview where she said that even Peter Bergman came up to her and embraced her she she returned to film the tribute and they both put down the sword. Daniel Goddard said in the Michael Fairman podcast that the entire crew came down to applaud her and  welcome her back. Between that and fan comments, the people in charge now have first hand knowledge of her value.

A troublemaker wouldn't have been welcomed back to the set by a crew. The crew is usually how you can tell who the troublemakers are because they're the main ones being mistreated. Victoria Rowell came before the #MeToo and diversity movements and she took the hit for everyone. I truly believe if not for her Bryton and Kristoff would've been fired and we never would've gotten Sofia, Hilary or Tyra, all brought on by her advocacy. Hell, she shamed them into hiring their first and ONLY black writer in history. I will forever respect her for taking the hit she did. Now that we know more of what's been going on at CBS (and other networks) it validates her. Hell, Yvette Nicole Brown who has appeared on Y&R and is a primetime/movie star said that she, like VR, had to go get her hair done before taping because most sets she's on don't have people who can fix black peoples hair. Nothing VR said was crazy, but people don't like to have honest conversations about race and they get defensive.

Also, in terms of her lawsuit, she and CBS reached a confidential settlement which tells me there was merit to it. For one black woman to reach an agreement with CBS speaks volumes. It's just a shame this all had to happen. I wish Brad Bell was allowed to bring her on B&B as was documented in her lawsuit. 

Thank you for this. You've succinctly explained what my emotions wouldn't let me. It seems KSJs death has brought about a new beginning for everyone. What'd be even more heartwarming is if the cast and crew banned together and requested her return. 

• Love 6

I don't know..... I wished for Dru's return often after her character was killed off but since it obviously wasn't going to happen I sorta let it all pass.

If peace has been made, that's great news for everyone involved, especially for Victoria Rowell.  Finally!  But with KsJ gone - and absolutely NO recast of that role, ever - with Lily's situation, etc., what role would she really have?  TPTB are notoriously reluctant to spend a dime on any females over 40 as it is, much less give them much storytime.

But most of all, with no Neil Winters to come home to, maybe no Lily, what would be the point?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Oh they're related? I didn't know that he would be good to have I mean if Charlie/Maddie are going to be around there's family there through them at least. 

SM isn't returning to Y&R full time. They could recast Malcolm later on but honestly I rather they go with a Winters family member we never knew.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, boes said:

I don't know..... I wished for Dru's return often after her character was killed off but since it obviously wasn't going to happen I sorta let it all pass.

If peace has been made, that's great news for everyone involved, especially for Victoria Rowell.  Finally!  But with KsJ gone - and absolutely NO recast of that role, ever - with Lily's situation, etc., what role would she really have?  TPTB are notoriously reluctant to spend a dime on any females over 40 as it is, much less give them much storytime.

But most of all, with no Neil Winters to come home to, maybe no Lily, what would be the point?  

Regardless of what happens with Dru I hope they recast Lily. She’s far too important to be off screen and since Christel is ready to leave I’d look into a recast. I feel like they have good actors for Charlie and Mattie and Id hate to see all that go to waste. Karla Mosley is just waiting in the wings to be a new Lily IMO. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Oh they're related? I didn't know that he would be good to have I mean if Charlie/Maddie are going to be around there's family there through them at least. 

SM isn't returning to Y&R full time. They could recast Malcolm later on but honestly I rather they go with a Winters family member we never knew.

I don't know...... It would be too easy to have another Caleb Courtlandt moment, like what happened in All My Children when James Mitchell died and TIIC brought in a previously unheard of nephew named Caleb to be the patriarch.  Disaster.  Nobody cares because this guy had no history with anyone at all.  Better to leave the void, IMO.

• Love 12
20 hours ago, boes said:

This is how I feel about it.  It would have been great to bring Neil and Dru back together, now, with only what appears to be Devon there full time, I wouldn't be feeling it.   Dru and Neil were the draw for me.  Without Neil, I feel like there may not be a Dru.

With MS coming back as Phyllis, there might be an opportunity to renew that feud, but that would be pretty awkward.  Phyllis has enough to deal with in handling just what she's done recently, much less for what she did 10 or 15 years ago.  But it might be interesting to see these two together.

• Love 7
On 4/27/2019 at 11:07 AM, boes said:

I'd love for Dru to come back and allow Lily to have one of her parents.  I'd hate to see the demise of the entire Winters family, I've always liked them.

ETA: Oh, and I wanted to mention, I like @KnotsLanding's idea to cast Karla Mosley as Lily if CK wants to leave, she'd be great.

• Love 5

I like Devon’s character and his acting. I also like CK and her character/acting. I could do without the kids although I think the young woman who plays Maddie is head and shoulders above the young man who plays Charlie. He’s so stiff and unnatural. Get rid of him and Cane and the undead Sam. Devon and Lily and Maddie plus the new actress who’s name escapes me at the moment but you now who I mean-can form a new Winters family. I don’t want this family to disappear from Y&R after so many years. We need them to balance out the nonsense of the Newmans and Abbotts. What a bunch of entitled babies. A pox on all of them!

• LOL 1
  • Love 11