Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: My Struggle

I was one of those rabid fans during the original run, but I actually have low expectations for this reboot.  I'm happy to watch this like a reunion show of people who feel like old friends, and just enjoy David and Gillian hanging out again.  I even laughed to myself before I saw it, thinking, well, at least I won't feel the need to nitpick every element of this show on the internet! Being an x-files fan was exhausting in the 90s!!

But then they had to go and set the thing in Low Moor. 

I'm from Virginia, and I have a special hatred for Low Moor. It is a hole in the middle of nowhere.  It is also almost FOUR HOURS away from DC, so they were not just driving back and forth that easily. 

Look at a map, Carter. 

• Love 3

That's what bugs me the most-how they have Mulder looking like a complete nutter. The writers have always played around with that fact-ie the nerve gas he's exposed to in The Unusual Suspects for example. But he's also an Oxford schooled Psychologist which has tended to balance him out. Meh, hopefully someone will restart Fan Fiction for these two so I can understand these characters motives.:)

If the X-Files does go on-and it's going to take more than a CC cliffhanger to guarantee it, I'd like to see someone else take over. Sort of like the George Lucas-to JJ Abrams Star Wars. Like Lucas, CC created some great characters but sadly can't good or believable dialogue or storylines. Wong, Morgan and Gillian seemed to have a better grasp of the show. 

Finally, I'm a bit miffed that Cancer Man can come back from being Flame-broiled by a missile, yet they won't resurrect the Lone Gunmen, who we never saw die.

Yea I'm not a fan of that. At first he had some common sense, but now I see that's flown out the window. /facepalm At least he doesn't believe everything, but damn... to be that gullible. Geez, Chris... way to ruin a character.

Word. But to be fair, we did. They were in a building behind a door when the explosion happened iirc. Just wish that they would have been brought back to life and not that old familiar black lunged son of a bitch yet again. -_-

• Love 1

I was one of those rabid fans during the original run, but I actually have low expectations for this reboot.  I'm happy to watch this like a reunion show of people who feel like old friends, and just enjoy David and Gillian hanging out again.  I even laughed to myself before I saw it, thinking, well, at least I won't feel the need to nitpick every element of this show on the internet! Being an x-files fan was exhausting in the 90s!!

But then they had to go and set the thing in Low Moor. 

I'm from Virginia, and I have a special hatred for Low Moor. It is a hole in the middle of nowhere.  It is also almost FOUR HOURS away from DC, so they were not just driving back and forth that easily. 

Look at a map, Carter. 

This is the same show that had Scully living in Annapolis and seemingly could drive from Alexandria/DC in 20 mins or so. Let's not forget having Potomac Yards being an actual train yard instead of a shopping center.  Living in DC, I used to love to nitpick all the inconsistencies. 

• Love 2

My verdict: meh (except for the use of the original credits, which was outstanding). I'm holding out for the Darin Morgan episode (10.E03). 

Even though I've had a while to become accustomed to it thanks to the articles floating around over the past few months, I'm way less outraged about Scully and Mulder being split up in the reboot than I thought I would be. Maybe there really is something to this Moonlighting curse business.

Disagree on that one. Bones handled it well and so did Frasier and other shows. So that whole Moonlighting curse is just utter bs to me as far as I'm concerned. It comes down to writing in my opinion, if it's bad writing... of course it'll show in the relationship. And it also comes down to whether the actors are getting along sometimes too. Castle has shown that recently. That said though, I wasn't bugged as much about the break up as I was about Mulder being so damn gullible.

• Love 3

So, why is the episode called "My Struggle"?  At the very time that plans are being made to re-publish said book for the first time in 70 years?

Some sort of conspiracy, no doubt!

I would hazard this guess:

Mulder struggle to get out of his depression, and not let the previous government/alien conspiracy really destroy him (he was failing, it seemed). Mulder also struggling to get Scully to jump aboard.

Scully struggling to have a normal life again without Mulder, but realizing she misses the excitement.

O'Malley's struggling to get the word out about the vast gov't compsiracy publically heard and accepted.

Sveta's struggle with the abductions, and toll on her life from these violations she's had to endure.

Chris Carter's struggle to take the X-Files and make it revelant to modern times and events.

Just throwing it out there :') I really liked the episode and am looking forward to the one written by Darin Morgan. Man's a storytelling genius!

• Love 3

Episode 2 airs tonight, 8:00 pm everyone!

I don't understand the logic in scheduling two episodes on two consecutive days This is only a six episode limited series, why would you dump 1/3 of it the first week it's on?

• Love 2

Conversely, I thought DD was FABULOUS (for his significantly lower standards. He's never been a stellar actor, after all.). Like, that was Mulder. Straight-up. The way he handled those speeches, it was straight-up 90s Mulder. Even though he looked so different, even though there was nothing Mulder-like about his appearance (unlike GA), DD WAS Mulder. The cadence of his speech, the weary excitement. But it wasn't just 90s Mulder. DD managed to convey the added baggage. I truly felt that I really was watching Mulder 10+ years later. Isolated, depressed, disappointed.

This was how I viewed DD as Mulder. Same nutty dude, but with a lot of baggage.  I *think* he will even out some in the following episodes.  I thought GA as Scully was fabulous. The look she gave Sveta when she said something about how Scully didn't know what it was like to be abducted was pure genius. Subtle, but powerful.  GA/Scully is a goddess though, so in my eyes she can do no wrong.

I know that some people were disappointed in the show, but I was not. I was (is) a moderate Xfiles fan. I've seen most of all the episodes and I am familiar with all the arcs and such. Not a rabid fan, but more than just an average viewer, I guess.  I was entertained and understood the need for all of the exposition. I also was intrigued by the reset.  Overall, not a bad start. 

• Love 3
We noticed in a couple of the hospital scenes Scully seemed to have blood spatter on her neck, but none on her clothes. Possibly some continuity error if all the scenes were filmed at one time, but still no explanation for the blood.

I don't think it was a continuity error, since every time we saw the blood it was when she'd just come out of surgery; I think it was their deliberate shorthand for "she's now a doctor who does bloody surgeries all day."  As for it not being on her scrubs, they would have been protected by her surgical gown, and she's already removed the gloves and gown by the time we see her.

The first time I watched it, I thought they had screwed up -- those scenes would have all been filmed at once, and one scene in which she had blood on her neck I thought was set pre-op, meaning they'd screwed up, but last night I realized it was actually set post-op. 

Edited by Bastet

I don't think it was a continuity error, since every time we saw the blood it was when she'd just come out of surgery; I think it was their deliberate shorthand for "she's now a doctor who does bloody surgeries all day."  As for it not being on her scrubs, they would have been protected by her surgical gown, and she's already removed the gloves and gown by the time we see her.

The first time I watched it, I thought they had screwed up -- those scenes would have all been filmed at once, and one scene in which she had blood on her neck I thought was set pre-op, meaning they'd screwed up, but last night I realized it was actually set post-op. 

I thought the blood on her neck was a result of Tad surprising her as she was drawing her own blood and she startled, getting it on her.  I could be wrong though.

• Love 1

I thought the blood on her neck was a result of Tad surprising her as she was drawing her own blood and she startled, getting it on her.  I could be wrong though.

That was my thought as well. If it was a patient's blood she'd want to get it off her neck ASAP (or should I say stat, because she's apparently a surgeon now). The surgical gown should cover that area as well, since that's their whole reason for existence. 

• Love 2

I don't understand the logic in scheduling two episodes on two consecutive days This is only a six episode limited series, why would you dump 1/3 of it the first week it's on?

I think they want to get a buzz going so that people watch the whole series and understand that it's on Monday instead of Sunday. Plus with all the negative reviews from the first episode-showing the MOTW right after says to the audience that the show won't all be food and 9/11 conspiracy and it will get better.

ETA: Anyone else laugh when they saw the "Carpe Diem" sign over CSM's fireplace. Seize the day indeed! I guess he and Mulder are father and son since both have near death experiences more than normal people.

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 2

I'm guessing the splitting the sheets serves the purpose of a future reconciliation. In other words, it's fan service.

Yep. Thing is... it's long road (according to what Gillian said in a recent interview). /facepalm

How many people will be around once that (if it does happen) happens? People will only put up with the old stick and carrot routine for so long before giving up on it.

• Love 2

I'm Mulder and Scully's bitch. I've been since season 1, episode 1, and it will never change. They were on my screen again, they still have this incredible chemistry imo, and watching them was a joy (of course, good writing for everything else would be a definite, welcome plus). Their last scene had all my feels from 20 years ago come back with a vengeance. It's Mulder and Scully against the world again, baby! Bring on the nonsense, I don't care, I will eat it with a spoon because they are the love of my TV life.

It's like looking in a mirror.

The opening credits, the Scully eye rolls, the amazing scene in the hospital where she just about bit Sveta's head off but without making so much as a scowl at her...Gillian is brilliant and I love her. I was a bit exhausted after hearing for the millionth time that something is the The Key, but I knew it couldn't be true because it never is. And am I supposed to remember Sveta? She said Mulder spoke to her family way back when, she was just a baby? Am I missing something? For a second I was wondering if she was Theresa Hose's kid...but then she wouldn't have an accent.

I don't like all the political stuff they're cramming in there, not sure who's really supposed to be "offended". But if trying to say this new conspiracy zeros out black oil, alien rebels, the colonists and whatever else I'm forgetting...I'm having a hard time with that. What was the final word at the end of the series anyway? Did they believe or not? Was it aliens or government? Both? I've watched so much in the last few months, and not in the right order, I'll admit my brain is a bit fuzzy. Maybe that's a good place to be in at the start of this new season.

I don't believe that Mulder and Scully ever actually got married. But whether they are sharing a bed or a dinner table right now doesn't matter. They love each other and that's the end.

• Love 4

"I believe he smoked through his tracheotomy tube in the final regular episode. I just rewatched season 9. But then, he also blew up..."

THANK YOU! I spent the summer watching the entire series again from start to finish AND the movies. CSM definitely was smoking through a trache tube. AND MULDER SOT HIM WITH AN RPG! HOW DOES HE SURVIVE THAT?!?!?

• Love 4
That was my thought as well. If it was a patient's blood she'd want to get it off her neck ASAP (or should I say stat, because she's apparently a surgeon now). The surgical gown should cover that area as well, since that's their whole reason for existence.

Heh, I didn't say it was logical for her to stand around with a patient's blood on her after surgery, just that it seemed to be their "she's a surgeon, yo" indicator since she had blood on her neck every time she was doing something right after coming out of surgery.

Edited by Bastet

Nicholas Lea was in "Time After Time" on Supernatural as a 1940's FBI agent.

In a more relevant comment, I'm sure we'll get more information about the current status of Mulder and Scully's relationship and how it got there dribbled out over the next five episodes. There was enough of an exposition dump in this episode regarding the new conspiracy that took priority.

Not just any FBI agent.  He was Eliot Fucking Ness:)

• Love 2

It's like looking in a mirror.

The opening credits, the Scully eye rolls, the amazing scene in the hospital where she just about bit Sveta's head off but without making so much as a scowl at her...Gillian is brilliant and I love her. I was a bit exhausted after hearing for the millionth time that something is the The Key, but I knew it couldn't be true because it never is. And am I supposed to remember Sveta? She said Mulder spoke to her family way back when, she was just a baby? Am I missing something? For a second I was wondering if she was Theresa Hose's kid...but then she wouldn't have an accent.

I don't like all the political stuff they're cramming in there, not sure who's really supposed to be "offended". But if trying to say this new conspiracy zeros out black oil, alien rebels, the colonists and whatever else I'm forgetting...I'm having a hard time with that. What was the final word at the end of the series anyway? Did they believe or not? Was it aliens or government? Both? I've watched so much in the last few months, and not in the right order, I'll admit my brain is a bit fuzzy. Maybe that's a good place to be in at the start of this new season.

I don't believe that Mulder and Scully ever actually got married. But whether they are sharing a bed or a dinner table right now doesn't matter. They love each other and that's the end.

Ah. Well I'm sticking with it, since it's about the only thing left for me. Loving one another isn't enough anymore. :\ But I do hope they work their way back... and not take forever to do so.

• Love 1

Heh, I didn't say it was logical for her to stand around with a patient's blood on her after surgery, just that it seemed to be their "she's a surgeon, yo" indicator since she had blood on her neck every time she was doing something right after coming out of surgery.

Good point. Nothing with her medical career is logical, so I suppose we shouldn't expect the placement of the blood to be logical either. Hah. 

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am that she's still working at Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrows.  Ugh. 

And she said she's assisting the surgeons now, when we last saw her she was the lead on a neurosurgery case. Why have kids with no ears suddenly become her passion? It's not like they remind her of William.

At least Mulder didn't make any allusions to saving Sveta because she reminds him of Samantha. Or should I say, Scully didn't get bent out of shape and use that reasoning. Interesting that the only images they used of Samantha were the really young ones and not the actress we usually see in our minds when we hear her name. Is there a reason for that?

I never saw this show in its first run (I was pretty young and my parents would never let me watch something with that much scary stuff) but I decided to watch the whole thing on Netflix a few months ago, as I had always meant to watch it, and now, with the new show, seemed like the perfect time. The big thing I took out of it was that X-Files is really good at doing character stuff (for the most part), and one shot episodes. The conspiracy stuff? Boring, confusing, and, to me, just seemed really stupid and needlessly complicated. It was clear they had no real endgame, and were just throwing us endless parades of old guys in suites and vaguely defined aliens and tests. So, yeah, the conspiracy stuff here did not do much for me. I`m looking forward to the stand alone episodes.

How can there be just one "key to everything" anyway? Yeah, maybe to the conspiracy and the aliens, but what about the ghosts and the magic and the vampires and the demons and the sea monsters and the past lives stuff and the cat shaman and the genie and the guy who could control the weather and the guy who could squeeze himself into stuff and the Flukeman and the MILLION other crazy things they have seen, that have nothing to do with aliens? Explains that one, Mr. Tinfoil Hat.

I honestly always wanted the series to end with the aliens landing and preparing to attack...only for them to get a beat down from all the other MOTW creatures and people that have shown up over the years.   

• Love 6

I never wanted Mulder and Scully to be a romantic couple, and I was so sorry when the show actually went there. I liked that they were platonic friends who came to love and depend on each other but weren't in love with each other. 

Mulder was always crazy, but it was a managed crazy. Here, he just came across as a nutjob. And Scully looked so brittle, as though she'd snap in two. I think Gillian Anderson is too thin.

I'm kind of disappointed that they went for government conspiracy as the mytharc this time. The episodes I enjoyed the most throughout the series were the monsters of the week. The only thing I liked about the mytharc was Krycek. And are they retconning Samantha Mulder? Didn't they end up saying she'd never been kidnapped by aliens but had been murdered by a serial killer?

I honestly always wanted the series to end with the aliens landing and preparing to attack...only for them to get a beat down from all the other MOTW creatures and people that have shown up over the years.

I always thought that should have been the first movie -- dealing with the alien invasion, instead of a two-hour episode. I never watched the second movie. 

Despite some laughing at the absurdity of the explanations and eye rolling, not to mention not enough Skinner, I'm in. It's only six episodes, which makes me wonder why they're even bothering with mytharcs and monsters of the week. Why not just choose one or the other?

Interesting that the only images they used of Samantha were the really young ones and not the actress we usually see in our minds when we hear her name. Is there a reason for that?

I suspect (read: fear) we're going to see more of young Samantha (and since obviously the actors who played young Samantha at various times in the first run of the show are far too old to do so now, they had to cast a new child).  If her only appearance was going to be in Mulder's expository photo montage (his new version of a slide slow?), I'd think they'd have just showed a still of one of the previous actors, rather than bothering to pose a new one.

It's only six episodes, which makes me wonder why they're even bothering with mytharcs and monsters of the week. Why not just choose one or the other?

I think they're just aiming for a condensed version of a regular season, thus the mix of both types of episodes. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I suspect (read: fear) we're going to see more of young Samantha (and since obviously the actors who played young Samantha at various times in the first run of the show are far too old to do so now, they had to cast a new child).  If her only appearance was going to be in Mulder's expository photo montage (his new version of a slide slow?), I'd think they'd have just showed a still of one of the previous actors, rather than bothering to pose a new one.

Sadly, I think you're right as I read somewhere that they are going to reopen the Samantha case. Didn't she end up dying and her soul was starlight or some such nonsense back in Series 7? I remember not understanding the plot at all but I was so happy that the Samantha plot was over, I didn't care. Talk about flogging a dead horse. 

• Love 3

After reading all these terrible reviews I was afraid it might be really bad, but I LOVED every second of it.

How on earth could some critics come to the conclusion that DD and GA were simply going through the motions. It was the complete opposite. I could feel their hearts in their portrayals and it made me all tingly ;).

And even though I've had my ups and downs with CC over the years, I could feel his heart too in the writing.

To me nothing felt old and wrong. It made perfect sense that the show has come back after all these years.

Maybe CC was trying a bit too hard to put all the ideas he had in there and it was a bit much, but I could handle it and loved it anyway.

Also, I had never expected that I could believe that Mulder and Scully were broken up, but to my surprise, the way it played out actually felt true to the characters. That's the one thing I never expected I could buy into.

All in all, the only thing that bums me out is that it's only five more episodes and it will be over again.

So many kudos to everybody involved. I'm one happy X-Phile.

Edited by ksb
  • Love 4
And she said she's assisting the surgeons now, when we last saw her she was the lead on a neurosurgery case.

Scully's post-series medical career has never made any sense, and I'm not sure CC himself could tell you what kind of doctor he envisions her to be -- IWTB and this seem to have her as some sort of general physician who also does - or assists on - specialty surgeries.

• Love 2

Just stating for the record that when your story clearly shows a character dying (CSM in S9 finale) and then you bring that character back, it's lazy writing that insults the audience even as it undermines dramatic tension for any other character ever in jeopardy.  Seriously, WTF, Chris Carter?  You're not Scheherazade, you're Lucy with The Football.

[snipped with all the skill of GA's surgeon.]

GA's tendency to overact was at least acting and it showed skill, plus it tended to complement DD's lack of acting skill.  (If you doubt me, go back and watch whatever episode after "The End" that shows Mulder coming into his burned-out office for the first time:  His face has zero expression.  Zero.  Finally he musters some annoyance and low-level exasperation.)

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 2

Just stating for the record that when your story clearly shows a character dying (CSM in S9 finale) and then you bring that character back, it's lazy writing that insults the audience even as it undermines dramatic tension for any other character ever in jeopardy.  Seriously, WTF, Chris Carter?  You're not Scheherazade, you're Lucy with The Football.

Also, people saying that Gillian hasn't had work done are wrong.  She's had good work done, but you can still tell.  She may "look" great to some, but her face is significantly less expressive than it used to be.  (I just finished binge-watching S1-S9 yesterday afternoon, so the disparity was obvious.)  Someone really needs to film a The Gift of the Magi-type story about a stunningly beautiful and equally talented actress who, as the years pass, trades her facial expressivity for apparent youthfulness (or better put, unoldfulness).  

It makes me sad, though.  GA's tendency to overact was at least acting and it showed skill, plus it tended to complement DD's lack of acting skill.  (If you doubt me, go back and watch whatever episode after "The End" that shows Mulder coming into his burned-out office for the first time:  His face has zero expression.  Zero.  Finally he musters some annoyance and low-level exasperation.)

I agree with you on CC's writing.

*puts on mod cap*

Let's not get into any work that any of the actor's have gotten done. That just opens up a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened.

Thanks.

Let's keep it strictly show talk and about how they acted. And how the episode was.

*takes mod cap off*

• Love 1
All in all, the only thing that bums me out is that it's only five more episodes and it will be over again.

You never know - if the ratings stay like this, FOX may persuade them for another season.

SpoilerTV Ratings - S10:E01: My Struggle

• 13.5 million viewers/5.1 ratings share - The NFL game before had an audience of ~34 million at 9:00 pm and ~20 million during the Postgame show. Now you know why FOX stuck The X-Files after football, to try to pick up that huge number of viewers

• Series first season debuted to 12 million viewers - Back then, 12 million was actually a low number for the big networks. The show itself was ranked #105,  and FOX almost cancelled the show due to what they considered low ratings. Today, it would be considered an insane hit and a number 1 show. Times have changed. The highest ratings ever was the season 5 premiere, with 27 million viewers. The rank? 11th place. Insane, eh? Networks would kill for those numbers now, and the 12 million is very very good these days.

• Series finale drew 13.3 million viewers - huge today, mediocre back then.
  • Love 3
The NFL game before had an audience of ~34 million at 9:00 pm. Now you know why FOX stuck The X-Files after football, to try to pick up that huge number of viewers.

Yeah, the NFL is pretty much the ultimate lead-in.  Over 34 million people still watching the game at 9:00 EST, but there had been over 42 million watching it at 8:00 EST.  If it hadn’t been such a one-sided game (the Cardinals were done for early on), more people would have still been watching the game by the time it ended (instead of only 20 million viewers by 10:00 EST, which was the end of the game and the post-game show), possibly leading to more viewers for XF.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
GA's tendency to overact was at least acting and it showed skill, plus it tended to complement DD's lack of acting skill.  (If you doubt me, go back and watch whatever episode after "The End" that shows Mulder coming into his burned-out office for the first time:  His face has zero expression.  Zero.  Finally he musters some annoyance and low-level exasperation.)

I couldn't disagree more. With regards to DD, what you call lack of expression is, IMO, an acting choice that fits Mulder to a T.

I agree that GA used to overact a tad very early on in the series. Later on her portrayal felt spot on to me as it did last night.

Also, yay for the great ratings.

• Love 2

That 18-20 5.1 rating is huge in today's tv world.  I hope they can do great again tonight.  

I'm not that happy with the Monday at 7:00 time because I already watch three shows then.  Anytime Sunday is better because all my shows are on breaks.  Thankfully I can watch the other shows on demand.  Also I'm not a Neilsen family so it doesn't matter anyway.  Speaking of does anyone actually know someone who is a Neilsen family.  I don't know a single person.  

Edited by Stuffy

It's actually at 8pm eastern.

8pm/7pm central time.

Just hope it's not such a big drop tonight ratings wise. The second episode seems to get at least lukewarm reviews..so maybe there is hope. At least we have Mulder in a suit..and hopefully a Skinner office scene. 

• Love 2
That 18-20 5.1 rating is huge in today's tv world.  I hope they can do great again tonight.

It's huge, but someone in the comments over at the link mentioned there would be adjustments because of the overrun, and they are right. The X-Files schedule time slot had 20 minutes of the game in it, which is where the numbers are coming mostly likely coming from.. Since this is the overnight early ratings, they have to make the adjustments to actually reflect when the show was on screen, so those numbers will drop.

According to TVLine, that 5.1 share is from the first half of the episode time slot, which really means ~20 minutes of NFL football. Tonight will be a real indicator if that audience will stick around to watch the 6 episode. I hope so!

Just stating for the record that when your story clearly shows a character dying (CSM in S9 finale) and then you bring that character back, it's lazy writing that insults the audience even as it undermines dramatic tension for any other character ever in jeopardy.

I would ordinarily agree with this if it were a show like....I dunno, L&O or CSI but I don't find it particularly egregious in a sci-fi/fantasy show like X-Files. There are plenty of ways to resurrect a presumed dead/mostly dead character here with some kind of advanced science or alien technology. I don't think it cheapens the original "death" or takes away the jeopardy. 

It sure did pique my curiosity as to how he managed to survive and I'm looking forward to them addressing this.  

• Love 5

This is the same show that had Scully living in Annapolis and seemingly could drive from Alexandria/DC in 20 mins or so. Potomac Yards being an actual train yard instead of a shopping center.  Living in DC, I used to love to nitpick all the inconsistencies. 

When the show started, Potomac Yards was a train yard. It was developed in the late nineties.

As a resident of nearby Alexandria I loved the thought that all of that spooky stuff was taking place in the (trainless) parking lot of my local Barnes & Noble!

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

I watched X-Files during it's first run, but mostly tuned out after the end of the Syndicate, because the writing got really bad. Aside from the first movie, during the original run, I refused to touch the others. My husband and I re-watched the series and were reminded of how good some of those first few seasons were, until CC wrote himself into a corner. This is what I was worried about in this limited series.

This was bad writing all around. I get exposition, but this was talky. I felt that they were talking in circles and saying very little, almost like they purposely used rapid-fire dialogue to mask the fact that the dialogue made little sense. The dialogue was hokey and I can imagine Joel McHale doing a Soup clip of his dialogue. Mulder and Scully spoke as if they had never experienced all of the craziness of the X-Files. For a multiple abductee, Sveta didn't appear to take any precautions to avoid being alone and easily abducted, though, I really liked the actress for some reason. 

My husband is determined to see this through. I'll half watch the rest, but my hopes are completely dashed.

• Love 4

I thought GA as Scully was fabulous. The look she gave Sveta when she said something about how Scully didn't know what it was like to be abducted was pure genius. Subtle, but powerful.

This scene made me think immediately of another one, Dennis Franz's Andy Sipowicz staring down a criminal who caused very personal and deep grief to him on NYPD Blue. I still consider it as one of the finest pieces of acting I've ever seen on TV (Franz won the Emmy that year, and he deserved it imo if only for this scene). The circumstances and the actors involved couldn't be more different on the surface, but it's the same performance for me. Both D.Franz then and G.Anderson in this episode managed to express a world of emotions and a huge part of the history of their respective characters in just a simple stare.

• Love 2

Thank you Chris Carter, you brought back my X-files exactly the way I liked them, you kept the heart intact, with the needed updates. Well done all the way around.  Amazing how Gillian, David and Mitch just clicked all over again.  Sure we could nit-pick about the very tiny things, but NOPE! 

Loved all the conspiracy theories, loved Mulder and Scully having one of their famous arguments on his front porch. 

But the best scene was the one at the car, when she told Fox she has alien DNA, David's eyes, his whole face the reaction was so beautiful. Can't wait for the next 5, and based on the ratings, if they hold, we will have more. 

• Love 5
Mulder and Scully spoke as if they had never experienced all of the craziness of the X-Files.

I thought they spoke like two people who have aged and have been beaten down by the intensity of the previous 23 years.

Felt spot on to me.

you kept the heart intact

Exactly.

Edited by ksb
  • Love 6

I so wanted to love this but it just didn't work for me at all. Hoping it gets better. I thought it was very clunky and the acting just seemed off :( Please, please get better/

Okay, just saw some clips from tonight's episode and all I can say is The X-Files are back-flashlights, pissing off authority figures and Skinner's wink-wink reprimand. Oh man, I'm being sucked back into fandom. As someone else posted..where my old AOL screen name?!

So from someone who disliked episode one, I'd say it gets better. Even with the 2 year old Snowden joke.

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 1

I'm pretty easy here. I was a hardcore fan up til the 7th season when life took me away from the show.

So I'm just as pleased as punch to see them back.  

My only complaint is, for a show that was acclaimed as being cinematic, the opening narration and photos was soooooo cheesy and pathetic.

Lazy writing, lazy direction.

But I'm still in.

• Love 2

If I missed this, my apologies, but has anyone discussed Scully's "You know exactly what you're doing" comment to Mulder after she saw Sveta at the door?  It seemed to have a lot of vitriol....wasn't sure if we were supposed to take it as disgust over his total purchase of her crap or jealousy? Or both?

I thought the writing last night was eh and Tad was horrible but DD and GA acted the hell out of what they could.  They're so much better than that pilot 100 years ago...

• Love 4