Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Love and Death / S02.E08: Do the D'DEW

I would say a Save the Date invitation for a war is the smart thing to do. You don't want spend all that time preparing your army and marching all the way there to find they had other plans and are not home. 

I loved Wormwood telling Madalena to please step away from the baby because she kind of freaked him out. She is the evil Queen of the story she's living up to her name.

This last is why I think that even though she did sign away her immortal soul, the D'Dewers are going to give it right back--she's far too much for such amateurs.

I really loved Gareth singing. I don't know as he has much of a range, but he had a few melodious turns there, and his song was so him.

King Richard continues to make me swoon. Galavant does seem to be receding into the ensemble cast, but he'll probably come into his own again next week.

Damn, I love this show.

• Love 2

This show is freaking awesome. I love Richard. Love the unicorn!! The song Gareth sang was perfect. Neo of Sporin cracked me up. The nod to The Princess Bride and Notting Hill were fantastic.

I am so sad it is over next week. I hope the cancellation bear sucks it again....

• Love 7

I really enjoyed these two episodes, much more than last week's.  I find myself liking Wormwood & Barry in Valencia far more than I liked them in Hortensia.  But, I'm also an unabashed #Galabella shipper and hated that dumb enchanted tiara with the passion of ten thousand suns.

Loved the toy armory.  Loved the Death song.  Loved the hair in Galavant's throat.  Loved the signpost.  LOOOOOOVED the Madalena/Isabella duet.  I've replayed that a few times already and can't get enough of it.  Loved the #SummerNights parody with a zombie chorus (and can't wait for it to show up on YouTube because I know my older niece, who LOVES Grease, will get a kick out of it.  Loved Madalena embracing her D'DEW side.  Loved Galavant holding a grudge for Sid's sword-throwing - who wouldn't? 

I was surprised when Roberta refused to join Richard in helping Galavant save Isabella/Hortensia.  I did not see that twist coming, so good on the writers! 

I'm sad that next week is the season (I refuse to believe that this show will NOT get renewed, yeah yeah, ratings, I know) finale.  I'm also greatly looking forward to it - hopefully we'll have one epic #Galabella duet

and maybe their wedding... Plus the return of Chef & Gwynne!

and I can't wait to see what Gareth does when he figures out that Madalena's gone to the D'DEW side - that's spec not spoiler, I just happen to believe that Gareth is nobody's fool and will figure that out within the first few minutes of Episode 9.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 1

Where are Prince Harry's parents? I mean, he must have them. He's referred to as Prince, not King, and Isabella's dad kept saying Harry's parents will have to pay for the wedding. Yet, they aren't there to stock the armory properly and lead the troops into battle. Also, why would marrying your cousin change who pays for the wedding? (And yes, I know the answer is "We really do expect you to suspend disbelief that far, and besides, how else can we put Izzy in charge?") 

I know it's foolish to nitpick a show like this, but I also have been wondering about Prince Harry's parents.

• Love 3

I just realized that Death was Mr. Norrell! I love him!

To quote Elaine Benes - "GET OUT!!!"

I didn't catch that at all! I really enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I got the DVD for myself for Christmas.

*running off to re-watch that number*

• Love 2

I know it's foolish to nitpick a show like this, but I also have been wondering about Prince Harry's parents.

Me too. I had thought he was an orphan.

What I've been wondering about the most, though, is - what is the name of Richard's land? It's only ever been referred to as that - Richard's land, to my recollection. Doesn't it have a name?

• Love 1

Me too. I had thought he was an orphan.

What I've been wondering about the most, though, is - what is the name of Richard's land? It's only ever been referred to as that - Richard's land, to my recollection. Doesn't it have a name?

I've wondered about this also.  Maybe we'll find out the answer if we get a 3rd season.

Sigh. I loved these latest two. So wonderful and funny and adorable. This show just makes me happy.

Yay, Princess Bride reference!  Also, Notting Hill!

LOVED the "Princess Bride" reference! I loved the NH moment too, although I wished they'd changed the line. I think it would've been funnier to have been altered for the situation. So that instead, she said, "I'm just a girl. Standing front of a King. Asking him to like her." 

Richard is a virgin no more! It's almost a shame because I was really enjoying the unicorn gag. But Bobbi had better get her ass to the battlefield ASAP.

Glad Isabella is finally doing something.

I loved everything about Gareth, from his weird Disney love song to his undisguised glee at the Madalena and Isabella cat fight. Yes, Gareth, we were all waiting for that too.

You know what? Screw OUAT, I want another season of Galavant!

First off, I was a little sorry to see the end of Richard's virtue, since the unicorn wistfully following him around was just adorable. 

I also enjoyed Gareth's song, and I must be mellowing in my old age, because I even didn't mind his voice, either. The lyrics were so clever on that one, and I loved the animated birds. Really funny and well-done.

I'm really psyched for Isabella as war-leader, which was where I was hoping all this would lead. I love the idea of Isabella riding in at the front of an army, kicking ass, and saving the day. And Roberta too. 

Meanwhile: I used to be a die-hard OUAT watcher, but the moment they began retconning Snow and Charming

as weak and corrupt people

, I was out of there. The writing last season was so shockingly bad, I just couldn't keep watching (and my blood pressure would skyrocket). Galavant is a thousand times more fun, more charming, and less rage-making for me.

The zombies powered by love was fun. I'm really looking forward to the finale next week. I'm going to miss the Unicorn but, I'm really hoping Tad Cooper has grown in a dragon.

Wormwood and the wedding planning vs evil plotting gag never gets old. Very hilarious.

I'm seriously so hoping that Tad Cooper (that NAME!) ends up being a dragon after all! And I love Robert Lindsay (and back in the 80s, saw him on Broadway in "Me and My Girl") and how much fun he's having as Wormwood. I especially love that no matter how dastardly he is as an evil magician, he is a committed wedding planner at heart. It's weirdly adorable.

Wonder if next week's finale will be the cast getting eaten by bears?  If it were up to me, it would end like Monty Python and the Holy Grail and they all get arrested and it becomes a musical spoof of Oz and Orange is the New Black.  But that's just how I think.

I hope not, since while I love Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I hate the ending. Hate it. Love everything else, but: yeah. It's a non-ending. A cop-out.

Eddie Marsan is freaking brilliant. I just adore that guy so much. From his work on "Little Dorrit," to "Ray Donovan," to "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell," the guy can do anything (and best of all, he made Mr. Norrell actually lovable and understandable to me for the first time -- not reactions I had to the book version). It was wonderful to realize that it was him singing and dancing as Death!

Any "Galavant" is better than no "Galavant", but I found myself disappointed in these episodes.  Yes, some of the jokes were funny, and I liked the Grease song and the I Don't Like You Rap.  But I think what disappoints me most about this season is that I feel like Joshua Sasse has been relegated to being a supporting player.  Last season he was undoubtedly the lead, he had a number of great songs.  This season I feel like he has barely had any songs (the only memorable one to me is "Maybe You Won't Die Alone"), and even though he's the main character, it really seems like he has been supplanted by Richard and especially Gareth.  Gareth has had more songs than him.  I get that it's supposed to be part of the joke that Vinnie Jones can't sing, but yes, he really is quite awful.  He can't sing at all and his singing makes my ears bleed.  

Galavant is supposed to be the greatest hero in the seven kingdoms, but it's already obvious that it's going to be Richard the One True King who saves the day.  But like I said, any "Galavant" is better than no "Galavant" at all.

I totally get this, but I would argue that those very changes have actually made Galavant better this season and more complex. I do agree that they need to be careful of Too Much Richard, but I also think TO is the breakout star of the show, and that he's easily the best thing on it. However, I also like the way this season has turned into more of an ensemble comedy, and to me it's better and more interesting for it. Galavant is wonderful (as is the actor), but he's not all that complicated, so it's great to see the showrunners explore all of the other characters as well.

And the teamwork with Richard has brought out a fun side to Galavant -- he has to be patient and mentoring, and I kind of like that about the relationship. It's far more interesting than Galavant and Sid, to be honest. 

It reminds me just a bit of Princess Bride, where Westley was often sidelined in both the book and film in favor of Inigo, Fezzik, Buttercup, and everyone else. I do wish Galavant got a few more solos, but other than that, I actually think this season is much stronger than last -- it's richer, funnier, the songs are stronger (I found them all surprisingly melodically "samey" last season, unusual for Menken), and the performances are that much better.

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 5

*whispers* I haven't enjoyed the episodes as much as season 1 up until now. The writing and quality is definitely better this season, though. And these two episodes are magnificent. I haven't laughed this hard since season 1.

I definitely want a season 3.

Question:

Is it Garelena or Garalena?

I've been trying to figure out what to tag tumblr stuff with. I've seen it spelled both ways, but I want to use the more common tag.

• Love 3

One of the great tv tragedies is that more people don't watch this show because it will be a miracle if it gets a third season.

Although the Grease song was hilarious I still say the queen rap battle was my favorite because I am with Garath. I was waiting two seasons for it.

What I learned from this show is that you don't put a kid. In charge of your army.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

*whispers* I haven't enjoyed the episodes as much as season 1 up until now. The writing and quality is definitely better this season, though. And these two episodes are magnificent. I haven't laughed this hard since season 1.

I definitely want a season 3.

Question:

Is it Garelena or Garalena?

I've been trying to figure out what to tag tumblr stuff with. I've seen it spelled both ways, but I want to use the more common tag.

#Garalena is how I've been spelling it and how it's been written on Twitter.

One nitpick I have had the past couple episodes is the way the writers are disregarding their own Kingdoms of Galavant map when moving characters around the canvas.  The Forest of Coincidence, while not on the map, is obviously between Valencia & Hortensia since Sid & Wormwood/Barry met up there after fleeing/being banished from each kingdom respectively.  The guy who told Sid that Galavant was at his dad's house said it was a 5 day walk or a day's horse ride away.  And, clearly, Sid would have needed to go past Hortensia on his way to Sir Arnold's place, but he didn't.  Which, okay, maybe I can suspend disbelief a little on that one but I'm having even greater difficulty this week with Galavant & crew going from Neo of Sporin's place, which is practically next to and to the east of Sir Arnold's house, to Valencia without stopping in Hortensia, which is where Isabella is, especially since after the Death song Galavant knows Izzy thinks he dumped her.  Yes, my Capricorn brain is having difficulty with the illogical trip these guys have taken to finally reunite #Galabella.  Not okay, show, not okay.

• Love 2

Loved "Time is of the Essence" and the episodes generally but have 2 quibbles:

1. Where to find a middle-aged man who's never known the touch of a woman? A monstery.

2. I don't understand why everyone was talking about Spinster Mountain and lots of cats as bad things. 

• Love 4

LOVED the "Princess Bride" reference! I loved the NH moment too, although I wished they'd changed the line. I think it would've been funnier to have been altered for the situation. So that instead, she said, "I'm just a girl. Standing front of a King. Asking him to like her."

Oh, is that what that was from?  I thought it sounded familiar, but I've never seen Notting Hill (hate Julia Roberts) so I didn't realize it was the source.

• Love 1

This last is why I think that even though she did sign away her immortal soul, the D'Dewers are going to give it right back--she's far too much for such amateurs.

Yeah, no way is Old Scratch claiming her soul; he'd be afraid she'd take over, or worse, marry him for the crown!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2

The most recent episodes made me laugh so hard I cried. I don't even know how to describe it when people ask me about it:  I start talking about Grease zombies, unicorns, Neo of Sporin, and Gareth's bluebirds and then just lose it again. I swear to God, if this show doesn't get a third season I'm sending Save the Date cards to ABC!

• Love 8

I can't believe that next week is already the finale. I don't mind the short season, but if it's only going to last a few weeks, they should consider a summer season along with the winter season.

I wonder if it would do better as a summer show. Part of the problem has got to be that it's constantly on against football. 

I also think it would do better if the half-hour episodes aired once a week rather than back-to-back. I usually find myself enjoying the first half hour much more than the second, and I think the over the top parody and musical numbers kind of wear thin after a half hour of it. 

I'm probably biased, and I am still loving the show, but it seemed like last season the musical numbers weren't so frequently an obvious riff on an existing thing? Or if it did it was a little more subtle? And I think I preferred that.

Even though I did enjoy the Kylie Minogue number, and Maybe You Won't Die Alone, and the West Side Storyish snaps, and I guess even the Grease-thing in this one, it sort of put me over the edge. Yes, it's parody. Yes, it's funny. But it's starting to feel a little cheap? A little bit like a crutch? An easy way to get a smile? And I know it's not easy to churn out the equivalent of what...five full length musicals to do a season of this? But I do think I sort of hit my limit, specifically in this episode where it's getting a little old how many of the songs are a goof on some other known song (from a musical or not). I don't mind the puns or jokes that sort of reference current pop culture. But I would like to hear more original songs that sound like original songs.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3

I wonder if it would do better as a summer show. Part of the problem has got to be that it's constantly on against football.

I can't imagine there's that much of a crossover on the Venn diagram of football fans and people who want a farcical Medieval musical comedy.

• Love 11

1. Where to find a middle-aged man who's never known the touch of a woman? A monstery.

Monstery? Is that a freudian slip? 

I'm also thinking, a monastery would be a fantastic place for a unicorn farm, wouldn't it?

• Love 5

I wonder if they sell those chocolate axes. I'd love to get a chocolate axe for Easter instead of those chocolate bunnies people always get. Although it might be awkward given the particular holiday.

I've seen chocolate crucifixes at Easter time.

I can't imagine there's that much of a crossover on the Venn diagram of football fans and people who want a farcical Medieval musical comedy.

You'd think that, but when everyone is watching the game nobody is interested in trying out a new program. If there's nothing else on there's more of a chance people will give it a look-see. That's why I wonder if maybe it would do better as a summer show. The problem is that summer shows don't make the kind of $$ the network wants. 

I also think the network gambled on this show as a comparable replacement for Once Upon a Time during the winter break since both feature medieval characters but the similarity ends there. Once isn't a musical and isn't a comedy either so I doubt there's much cross-over like they were hoping for.

I loved everything about Gareth, from his weird Disney love song

Was it just me or did the bird seem to be off beat? I thought that Gareth would sing a word before the bird landed on it. Did anyone else try to sing along?

The Pirates of Penzance and Grease numbers were particularly great but

What was the Pirates of Penzance number? I missed that...

I was surprised when Roberta refused to join Richard in helping Galavant save Isabella/Hortensia.  I did not see that twist coming, so good on the writers!

That's becauase it came out of nowhere. She's been riding along, knowing Richard is going into battle, probably to die, and she's been a-ok with it until now. And her solution is to stand aside and let him die instead of being his "shield-maiden"? Reinforcing the "Season of Bro", bro!

I don't understand why everyone was talking about Spinster Mountain and lots of cats as bad things.

It was OK for her aunt but clearly not what Roberta wanted.

What was the Pirates of Penzance number? I missed that...

"Time is of the Essence" - the Neo of Sporin song - it's a riff on "Modern Major General".

That's because it came out of nowhere. She's been riding along, knowing Richard is going into battle, probably to die, and she's been a-ok with it until now. And her solution is to stand aside and let him die instead of being his "shield-maiden"? Reinforcing the "Season of Bro", bro!

Eh, I don't really think that it was reinforcing the "Season of Bro!" because it was only with these two episodes that she put herself out there for him (over Galavant's dead body) and he returned the sentiment (end of their "Summer Nights" parody).  Before then, she could ride along into battle and not necessarily have to deal with a broken heart if he died but that all changed when they declared their love for one another.  Having said that, I fully expected her to go into battle as his "shield-maiden" rather than turn tail and run.  But, honestly, we only know Roberta in terms of her relationship, past & present, with Richard - which might explain why I haven't jumped on the #Richerta bandwagon as swiftly as many others.  Every single other romantic relationship that's been developed on this show has had characters presented as individuals, complete with flaws, quirks, and charming qualities. 

Hmmmm...  Maybe we need a Roberta thread to continue this discussion, lol...

"Time is of the Essence" - the Neo of Sporin song - it's a riff on "Modern Major General".

But, honestly, we only know Roberta in terms of her relationship, past & present, with Richard

I'll have to listen to it again [finds video]  Hmmm... more reminiscent of other "patter songs" (it reminds me more of "To sit in solemn silence" from The Mikado or "So it really doesn't matter" from Ruddigore), but I can see the PoP infliuence (especiually since "Modern Major General" is far and away the most famous of the patter songs.  

We really don't know Rebecca at all.  I think that's the problem.   But I hope you're right about what she'll do.

It's going to be a jam-packed (Mmmmmmmm... jam... drool) finale, with all the pieces they've got to do:

1. Let Isabella fight, and not just Madelena.  I want to see her kick some army ass

2. Tad Cooper -- is he or isn't he?

3. Roberta comes to save Richard

4. The Rightful Ruler of the Realm -- will Richard revert once he becomes King again?

5. D'DEW

• Love 3
It's going to be a jam-packed (Mmmmmmmm... jam... drool) finale, with all the pieces they've got to do:

1. Let Isabella fight, and not just Madelena.  I want to see her kick some army ass

2. Tad Cooper -- is he or isn't he?

3. Roberta comes to save Richard

4. The Rightful Ruler of the Realm -- will Richard revert once he becomes King again?

5. D'DEW

Uh, you forgot...  6. Reunite Isabella & Galavant.

I don't think Roberta is coming to save Richard. She isn't listed as a guest star for E9 and the only high-res pic of her from E10 is one where the setting is clearly Valencia. Granted those pics don't always give away much but I'm fairly certain, based on various Twitter feeds from when they were filming, that Clare Foster didn't go to Morocco for the battle scenes. Everyone from the main cast & recurring characters winds up back in Valencia by the end except Madalena, and some of those high-res pics, which I took a closer look at last night, have me REALLY curious about where we end with Madalena.  I've already posted my thoughts on what's coming for Galabella in the spoiler thread but the finale promo and the high-res pics clearly indicate that Galavant does arrive in time to help Isabella in battle.

Most likely Valencia, Hortensia, and Richard's land are the smallest 3 of the 7 kingdoms.  (If I remember my history right, in medieval time a kingdom could be as small as a castle and whatever township behind its walls).  So it is possible that prince Harry's parents are the rulers of the other much bigger kingdom and they gave him this small land of Hortensia with a castle as his playground (which explains the toy armory and the way too elaborate change of guards sequence).

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 2

#Garalena is how I've been spelling it and how it's been written on Twitter.

One nitpick I have had the past couple episodes is the way the writers are disregarding their own Kingdoms of Galavant map when moving characters around the canvas.  The Forest of Coincidence, while not on the map, is obviously between Valencia & Hortensia since Sid & Wormwood/Barry met up there after fleeing/being banished from each kingdom respectively.  The guy who told Sid that Galavant was at his dad's house said it was a 5 day walk or a day's horse ride away.  And, clearly, Sid would have needed to go past Hortensia on his way to Sir Arnold's place, but he didn't.  Which, okay, maybe I can suspend disbelief a little on that one but I'm having even greater difficulty this week with Galavant & crew going from Neo of Sporin's place, which is practically next to and to the east of Sir Arnold's house, to Valencia without stopping in Hortensia, which is where Isabella is, especially since after the Death song Galavant knows Izzy thinks he dumped her.  Yes, my Capricorn brain is having difficulty with the illogical trip these guys have taken to finally reunite #Galabella.  Not okay, show, not okay.

It is called Forest of Coincidence ! When traveling from point A to B through this forest, the route taken and travel time vary depending on the coincidence(s) you encounter along the way.

At least that is my explanation of the inconsistencies. ;)

• Love 3

Uh, you forgot...  6. Reunite Isabella & Galavant.

You're right, I did!

re your spoiler and going by speculation only, 6 is much more important than 3. If that's the case, I wish they had written her out better than "You're gonna die. I might be able to help but I'm such a girl I can't stand even the possibilities, so byeee!" That just made her seem shallow and actually unfeeling.

• Love 1

You're right, I did!

re your spoiler and going by speculation only, 6 is much more important than 3. If that's the case, I wish they had written her out better than "You're gonna die. I might be able to help but I'm such a girl I can't stand even the possibilities, so byeee!" That just made her seem shallow and actually unfeeling.

Ohhhhh, good point!  I hadn't considered it in that way but if I was a #Richerta shipper and things turn out the way I think we're headed in the finale, I'd be super-pissed at how Roberta pretty much just left Richard hanging.  Which also demonstrates just how lacking the writing of her as a character has been.  We know nothing about her, what motivates her, etc.  With the exception of Richard, whose backstory came in episode 6 with the visit to Xanax, we got more knowledge and back story about each of the main characters in the first three episodes of S1.  Given how much time we've spent with Roberta on our screens and that she was created as a love interest for one of the major characters, I would have liked to have seen better character development.

I liked the Death song. It was a light number with silly lyrics. I'll listen to anything like that. "I'm just a raaandomm guuuuy!" Though it was important too because Galavant found out about the war and miscommunication. 

The unicorn is just hilarious.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

It is called Forest of Coincidence ! When traveling from point A to B through this forest, the route taken and travel time vary depending on the coincidence(s) you encounter along the way.

At least that is my explanation of the inconsistencies. ;)

So, the geographical equivalent of "a wizard did it", then?

• Love 5

I'm not going to be too concerned with logistics in a show where the characters have torn down the Fourth Wall for kindling. We may yet see someone travel from one distant location to another via musical montage.

• Love 2

Since so many people want "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" or "Highway to Hell" for their funerals, I'm calling for that "Goodbye" song for mine. It would be especially hilarious if "some random guy" just showed up for that line. That number was probably my favorite this season and I really loved that Eddie Marsan was singing it.

I really hope this gets another season, and I think ABC would be better off making this a summer show, because it has to be getting it's ass kicked by football, although there will only be the Pro Bowl on this weekend (yawn). I always feel bad that I had to DVR it for the sake of football.

I want them to bring back the theme song for the finale, I get it stuck in my head so often that I hated to part with it.

• Love 2

I really hope this gets another season, and I think ABC would be better off making this a summer show, because it has to be getting it's ass kicked by football

I wonder if they're counting on DVD and international sales (especially British), which in  these days of DVRs may generate more revenue than a basic showing.  It would be fun if they followed the advice from the erstwhile Cancellation Bear and named the first episode of Season 3 "Don't Fear the [TV Grim] Reaper"!

• Love 1

ABC is not helping out the show in terms of making it easy for new fans to start watching. It is totally the type of show my dad should love, and I'm trying to figure out how to best introduce it to him. Season 1 is long gone from their website and from the cable company's OnDemand, and Season 2 seems to have a short time limit for how long each episode is posted as well. :-( My parents don't have any of the alternate television-viewing products, so that route is out, too. Anyone know if the show is free on Amazon prime? Maybe I can help them do a free trial of it. They were thinking of getting prime at one point anyway...

• Love 1

ABC is not helping out the show in terms of making it easy for new fans to start watching. It is totally the type of show my dad should love, and I'm trying to figure out how to best introduce it to him. Season 1 is long gone from their website and from the cable company's OnDemand, and Season 2 seems to have a short time limit for how long each episode is posted as well. :-( My parents don't have any of the alternate television-viewing products, so that route is out, too. Anyone know if the show is free on Amazon prime? Maybe I can help them do a free trial of it. They were thinking of getting prime at one point anyway...

Not on Prime, but you can buy the entire Season 1 for $15 SD or $20 HD or pay per episode