Type keyword(s) to search

UP TV Movies - General Discussion

In2You
  • Start Topic

I couldn't find a thread for them on here and I'm sure I'm not the only one who watches their movies. I like that they have a balance between the cheery and sweet and the more serious ones.

The latest movie Love Finds You in Valentine is apart of the Love Finds You In series. 

Based on the popular novel by Irene Brand, the story follows a law student, Kennedy Blaine (Mcmanus), inherits a ranch in the small town of Valentine, Nebraska, after her parents die. She travels to Valentine with the intent of selling the ranch, but is drawn in by the area's beauty and to ranch foreman, Derek Sterling (Morgado). Putting her life in L.A. on hold, she decides to spend some time at her ancestral home and reconnects with her grandfather, Gabriel Morgan (Asner), who she has never met. Soon, Kennedy is harassed by someone who wants her out of Valentine. With Derek and his mother’s (Wagner) assistance, she sets out to discover who is behind the offenses. But when her search reveals painful details about her family and raises questions about Derek's own past, will Kennedy still want to know the truth?

Premiering May 15

In the romantic comedy “The Game Of Love,”Jake Cornell (Lochlyn Munro), third-generation owner of the Seattle Cougars basketball team, has devoted his entire life to his work though he is still very attracted to his charming, smart, and unavailable ex-wife Frankie (Heather Locklear). Frankie has a weakness though – an undeniable attraction and connection to the infuriating man she’s divorced, not once, but twice. Now that they are no longer together, Jake and Frankie, along with their two adult children Barton (Tom Stevens) and Alexandria (Emily Tennant), disagree on the future of the team.

Jake’s about to lose the one thing he loves the most – the Seattle Cougars – to the other love of his life, Frankie. Sparks fly as Frankie takes over the front office. Will the team that drove them apart actually end up being the thing that brings them together for good?

Today at 3 they're playing My One Christmas Wish which was my favorite Christmas movie last year. One of the few ones that actually touched on the true meaning of Christmas and not just needing to get a man by the holidays.

• Love 1

Today at 3 they're playing My One Christmas Wish which was my favorite Christmas movie last year. One of the few ones that actually touched on the true meaning of Christmas and not just needing to get a man by the holidays.

I co-sign all of this because it was my favorite Christmas movie last year.  Actually, it has become my favorite Christmas movie in quite a number of years, precisely for the reason you cite.  I love that it elevated themes like faith and family and belonging because, let's face it, this genre has in too many instances become all about getting a man.

• Love 1

While not a movie I participated in a survey recently where I was questioned about a new scripted series in development. Its a dramedy about a windowed baseball player who is father to three girls getting back into the dating life. 

UP's 2016 Christmas Movie Schedule

Married by Christmas (UP Premiere Movie) – Sunday, November 6 at 7 pm ET

When it comes to her work, Carrie Tate (Jes MaCallan) takes herself very seriously. She has dedicated her entire life to growing Emerson Foods, the high-end food distribution company founded by her father, and doesn’t have much time for a social life. Carrie’s sister Katie, on the other hand, is a gourmet food-to-table restaurateur and marrying her boyfriend on Christmas Eve. However, due to an outdated stipulation in their grandmother’s will, it’s discovered that ownership of the company will pass to whichever sister marries first. Now, Carrie must get married by Christmas or kiss her family business goodbye!

Stars: Jes MaCallan, Coby Ryan McLaughlin, April Bowlby, James Eckhouse, Ryan Caltagirone

Merry Christmas, Baby! (UP Premiere Movie) – Sunday,November 13 at 7 pm ET

The Chandler family is back and bigger than ever in the fourth installment of the “Marry Me for Christmas” franchise. Determined to make her baby’s first Christmas a memorable one, Marci (Malinda Williams) throws herself into both planning the perfect Christmas and building her new event planning business. But when the business gets off to a rocky start and members of her family face their own hardships, Marci will discover that when your plans for a perfect Christmas start to fall apart, it just might be the miracle you need.

Stars: Malinda Williams, Karon Riley, GregAlan Williams, Chrystale Wilson, DeEtta West, Brad James, Victoria Rowell

A Puppy for Christmas (UP Premiere Movie) – Friday, November 25 at 7 pm ET

After her destructive puppy Buster causes Noelle to lose her boyfriend, her apartment and her job, Noelle is invited to spend the holidays on a farm with her rugged co-worker Liam.  But when Noelle’s city past catches up with her, things get complicated. Noelle must choose between the safe, successful world she left behind, or an uncertain, unpredictable and exciting future with Buster and Liam.

Stars: Cindy Busby, Greyston Holt, Christopher Russell

The Rooftop Christmas Tree (UP Premiere Movie) – Sunday, November 27 at 7p ET

Every Christmas for 15 years, Dale Landis fastens a tree to his roof and decorates it for the season; and every year he’s arrested for it. Determined to keep Dale out of jail this year, a judge orders idealistic attorney Sarah Wright and aggressive prosecutor John Riviera to work together to defend Dale and figure out the mystery behind the rooftop Christmas tree. Inspired by a true story.

Stars: Michelle Morgan, Tim Reid

Girlfriends of Christmas Past (UP Premiere Movie) – Sunday, December 4 at 7 pm ET
When three strong-willed women join forces to seek the ultimate revenge on their cheating ex at his upcoming holiday retreat, love struck event planner Livvy meets Carter, the property manager organizing it all, leaving Livvy to question if she can leave off their revenge scheme long enough to finally forgive her ex and let a real holiday romance blossom.

Stars: Tammin Sursok, Lindsey McKeon, John Brotherton, Meagan Holder

Season’s Greetings (UP Premiere Movie) – Sunday, December 11 at 7 pm ET
Darcy Blake (Laura Bell Bundy) has the perfect job – she works for Harrington House, a successful greeting card company, in the editorial department.  Writing heart-felt, meaningful copy for cards is very important to Darcy, especially at Christmas, which was important to her as a young girl.  She realizes that she is a bit out of step with her fellow millennials, but that is fine with Darcy.  Everything is about to change when Andrew Harrington arrives at the company to take over from his grandfather, and he has a very different view of the business and of the holidays.

Stars: Laura Bell Bundy

I enjoyed Married by Christmas and I'm looking forward to the next installment of the Chandler Family Christmas saga. Outside of A Puppy for Christmas I'm looking forward to all the movies

ATLANTA – November 10, 2016 – UP TV, television’s family-focused entertainment destination targeted to adults, has added an additional U.S. premiere movie to its previously announced “We Get Christmas” lineup. InFalling For Christmas, champion figure skater Claire becomes injured and is sent to a rehabilitation center in the snowy mountains where she meets and falls for a ruggedly handsome local man who shows her there is more to life than competition. The romantic comedy stars Leah Renee (Satisfaction), Niall Matter (Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce), Michael Tiegen (TRON: Legacy), Gracyn Shinyei (When Calls the Heart), Lochlyn Munro (White Chicks) and Lisa Whelchel (The Facts of Life). Falling For Christmas premieres Saturday, November 26 at 7 p.m. ET and is one of three premiere movies debuting Thanksgiving weekend.

Trailer for The Rooftop Christmas Tree

I really enjoyed Married by Christmas but only to a point. Loved the lead (Jes from Mistresses) and thought she had good chemistry with the main guy. I thought they did a great job of making her more modern and funny than these movies sometimes are, she was laughing at herself, cracking jokes at the right moments. Loved almost everything about her. And I enjoyed the main guy a lot, though I wouldn't have minded seeing a bit more with him with her. Given one of the side storylines, they really sacrificed some of his screen time for the other guy. Complaints about those parts are minimal though. However, I can't say loved this one because of how big the non-romance story was in driving this one and how pissed off I was at her sister, the sister's fiancee and the parents' handling of everything. Couldn't stand them. But not upset that I watched this one and really hope Jes does more movies like this in the future.

• Love 2

I caught Date my dad and really enjoyed it. Don't know how the ratings are, but I like his relationship with his daughters. Looking forward to watching it this summer.

• Love 2

I really, really wanted to like Accidentally Engaged, where a struggling actress pretends to be dating a movie star who agrees to the ruse to hide his affair with a married woman, but man, the lead actress in that was just terrible. And it's shame, because Brant Daugherty was playing the movie star and he's serious sex on legs.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I really, really wanted to like Accidentally Engaged, where a struggling actress pretends to be dating a movie star who agrees to the ruse to hide his affair with a married woman, but man, the lead actress in that was just terrible. And it's shame, because Brant Daugherty was playing the movie star and he's serious sex on legs.

Yes! I tried watching it on Demand but the actress was absolutely terrible and I couldn't  make it past 15 minutes. The actor was hot, so hope to see him in other things that don't suck.

6 hours ago, twoods said:

Yes! I tried watching it on Demand but the actress was absolutely terrible and I couldn't  make it past 15 minutes. The actor was hot, so hope to see him in other things that don't suck.

Once I saw she was the lead I decided to skip it.  I saw one movie she was the star of and it was terrible. Her family produces these TV movies for her and her brother to star in.

• Love 2

When she’s written out of her show, her relationship and her seemingly perfect life, reality TV star Ann Stanway leaves Hollywood and finds herself marooned in Amish country. But when Ann is taken in by the owner of a nearby Inn, and meets a handsome young architect, she discovers that the reality she left isn’t nearly as perfect as the one she’s found. 
RunawayRomance-Poster.jpg

RunawayRomance-1.jpg

RunawayRomance-4.jpg

I was going to set this to record before I saw the Amish part...sounds like pass for me. I live in PA, I have a low tolerance for using the Amish in movies and TV. Please report back if you check it out and it's not as bad or offensive as I'm thinking it might be.

35 minutes ago, JasmineFlower said:

I was going to set this to record before I saw the Amish part...sounds like pass for me. I live in PA, I have a low tolerance for using the Amish in movies and TV. Please report back if you check it out and it's not as bad or offensive as I'm thinking it might be.

I live in PA too about 45 min from Lancaster. I'll watch and report back.

• Love 1

Danielle Chuchran-Ryan and Trevor Donovan are likeable enough, but yeah... for some reason, romance tv movies with Amish components are rarely a success (Love Finds You in Charm, the last Amish-themed UpTv movie with Chuchran & Donovan was... ouch).

When pretty dress-maker Andy joins a motley crew of brides-to-be for a grueling bridal boot camp, where young ladies learn how to become "better" brides, she thinks she's found the perfect place to become the perfect bride. But when Andy meets Casey, a handsome delivery man who doesn't believe in marriage, she starts to question her picture-perfect image of her current engagement and what marriage truly means.

BridalBootCamp-Poster.jpg

• Love 2

I watched Betting on the Bride, and holy crap. Either the script writer got away with submitting nearly identical scripts to both Hallmark and UP TV with minor detail changes or one script writer copied the writer of A Bride for Christmas, changed some details, and submitted it to a different network. No way it was an accident. The plot was EXACTLY the same, down to all of the different twists and turns of the relationship. I am kind of shocked. This one just didn't have the benefit of Andrew Walker and Arielle Krebel. 

To clarify - this is not the usual similar storylines that all of these movies have since the channels allow for little creativity. This is identical. So spoiler alert if you watched A Bride for Christmas, you now know exactly how Betting on the Bride goes.

• Love 2

Even though Bridal Bootcamp had her falling in love with someone else while engaged I enjoyed it. The main couple had great chemistry. I also liked that not only did her friend call her out on emotionally cheating but also called out the bootcamp instructors sham of a perfect marriage. 

• Love 2
On 6/11/2018 at 8:27 AM, VMepicgrl said:

I watched Betting on the Bride, and holy crap. Either the script writer got away with submitting nearly identical scripts to both Hallmark and UP TV with minor detail changes or one script writer copied the writer of A Bride for Christmas, changed some details, and submitted it to a different network. No way it was an accident. The plot was EXACTLY the same, down to all of the different twists and turns of the relationship. I am kind of shocked. This one just didn't have the benefit of Andrew Walker and Arielle Krebel. 

To clarify - this is not the usual similar storylines that all of these movies have since the channels allow for little creativity. This is identical. So spoiler alert if you watched A Bride for Christmas, you now know exactly how Betting on the Bride goes.

I watched the movie, you're right about it being a carbon copy of A Bride for Christmas, but I checked and it's not an quite as bad as plagiarism since I see that it's the exact same writer for both movies. So she recycled her own work, which isn't great and is seriously lazy, but at least she didn't rip off someone else like this.

I'd say this movie unlike had much more of a Runaway Bride feel at the start. That feel didn't continue, it morphed completely into A Bride for Christmas almost scene for scene with really very few differences like the sister not being a lesbian and the scouts. Even with the sameness, and there really was a ton of it, I enjoyed this enough. I didn't love it, but I didn't love the original. The mother and in this one, the father, make me want to smack them often with her pushing her towards a man she's very clearly said she doesn't want to be with and the father taking shots at his daughter's expense. I'm not normally a fan of Cindy Busby, but here she was much more tolerable and likable in a supporting role, especially because her voice wasn't nearly as unnecessarily earnest and syrupy sweet as it can be which annoys me often. 

It really is a case of if you've seen the other, than this one is predictable on a ridiculous level. I will say the cast here is good with people you're likely familiar with from other movies and the mom is played by Kim Delaney. I don't think this movie suffered much from not having Arielle and Andrew as leads. For me, I missed Andrew some, I think he's more expressive and charismatic than this actor , but felt like Karissa was a slight upgrade to Arielle in many ways, she felt more natural to me here.

(edited)

I tried out Bridal Bootcamp but decided to bail after the first half hour. I just didn't like the general feel of it even though I did enjoy her best friend and don't care about the girl being engaged for the purposes of this movie. The tone of the bridal boot camp was anything but encouraging and just didn't seem like something brides would sign up for let alone spend good money on. The condescending tone of the instructor was a major negative here for me. The guy I think I'm supposed to root for in this is introduced to us as a flower delivery guy who felt it perfectly acceptable to mock the lead girl about eating a plate of cake tastings upon meeting her and then reaching his dirty fingers into the cake she was eating for a taste and then mock weddings and the concept of marriage in the middle of a bridal boutique. I have no idea of the thinking here, but figure this isn't the movie for me. Based on another comment, I assume this gets better as it goes on, I can imagine that it does, the lead girl seems fine, but that was a bad enough start that I'm okay bailing now. Maybe I'll try to finish it at a later time, but right now, not thinking I will.

Edited by JasmineFlower
(edited)

I couldn’t last through 15 minutes of Bridal Bootcamp. It didn’t catch my interest and the lead actress bugged. 

Betting on the Bride was also annoying. Come on UP, make some decent movies!

Edited by twoods
12 hours ago, twoods said:

I couldn’t last through 15 minutes of Bridal Bootcamp. It didn’t catch my interest and the lead actress bugged. 

Betting on the Bride was also annoying. Come on UP, make some decent movies!

They didnt make any of these movies

Theyve all been on vod for over a year. Up used to do alot of originals but now rare.

Looks like UP has been teaming up with Harlequin for new romantic movies. It was a keep point in a survey I took for them recently and they had an influx of Harlequin movies for Christmas.

• Love 2

Yeah, those Harlequin movies are usually produced by Brain Power Media, a canadian company that's starting to compete with Reel One, MarVista, Asylum and the other usual californian production companies that work with Hallmark & Lifetime.

I kept being distracted by how sexy Kevin McGarry was as Wes Gently during Hometown Holiday that it was kind of hard for me to pay attention to the main romance.  I dunno, he was just working for me in this movie and I wished he were the lead.

Otherwise, I kind of enjoyed it probably because it wasn't so Christmas focused.  It took place at Christmas but it could have taken place at any other time.  Plus, a misunderstanding that was unique to the movie.  I remember loving to watch the Harlequin adaptations CBS used to do so I hope UP does some more.  I wonder if they'll even throw in sex at some point.

20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I kept being distracted by how sexy Kevin McGarry was as Wes Gently during Hometown Holiday that it was kind of hard for me to pay attention to the main romance.  I dunno, he was just working for me in this movie and I wished he were the lead.

Otherwise, I kind of enjoyed it probably because it wasn't so Christmas focused.  It took place at Christmas but it could have taken place at any other time.  Plus, a misunderstanding that was unique to the movie.  I remember loving to watch the Harlequin adaptations CBS used to do so I hope UP does some more.  I wonder if they'll even throw in sex at some point.

Well the survey I took mentioned that they were going to do more original movies based off Harlequin love novels in the future. It even asked us what name would sound better for their weekend movie premiere.

Even though it's a traditionally Christian channel(or it was until more recent years) Up has shown movies you would never see aired on Hallmark. I remember watching My Last Day Without You on up. And while I can't recall any full blown sex scenes I do recall a few movies airing on UP with heavily implied.

It's that time again when Up asks in a survey to help choose a movie title

Potential Titles

Coming Home to You

Crash Into Love

Love by Accident

Accidental Boyfriend

Movie description

Determined to spread her husband’s ashes on the spot where they fell in love, terminally ill Fran and her goddaughter Daphne head west on a road trip in an RV. When they have an accident that lands Fran in the hospital, Daphne realizes that Fran needs more than a few days rest and sets out to make her stay put. Knowing that Fran would like nothing more than for her to find true love, she fakes a relationship with the handsome mechanic fixing their land cruiser. Soon, however, Daphne discovers that her fake relationship might turn into something very real.

Love Alaska? Was really good! It's one of the best movies I've seen in some time (despite a few little continuity things, like she went into her uncle's clinic for the first time in high heels, then she was suddenly working on cleaning in heeled knee-high boots).

I liked the two leads together--I've seen Victor Zinck, Jr. play brothers and best friends in Hallmark movies, and have always liked him. And Sara Podemski is a very natural actress, with the most irresistible smile! I also liked that the characters were adults, with realistic problems, and that the story wasn't fluff.

I'm honestly kind of shocked by how much I liked it, since I'll admit I haven't been impressed by the production values of previous UP movies I've seen. But more movies like this will bring me back more often!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, In2You said:

I'm interested in A Christmas Movie Christmas. I want to see how they poke fun at these Christmas movies

I enjoyed it! It was cheesy, but in a good way, having fun with all the Christmas movie cliches. The one who made me laugh the most was Brant Daugherty. He really committed to his hammed-up performance, and the over-the-topness just hit my funnybone the right way.

• Love 1

Love, Alaska was okay.  I understand that the leading man suffered from PTSD so the actor playing him probably did a good job but the whole muted affect made it hard for me to get into the main couple.  After seeing some non-actors trying to act in projects recently, I did appreciate how Kym Herjavec Johnson was able to deliver her lines with some naturalness. 

6 hours ago, In2You said:

I'm interested in A Christmas Movie Christmas. I want to see how they poke fun at these Christmas movies

And this disappointed me as well.  It was just a movie, with all the tropes, pointing out all the tropes.  But the only thing that made it different to me, compared to the other trope-filled movies, was self-awareness.  It was fine but I was hoping for something a little more fun.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2019 at 10:29 PM, Irlandesa said:

And this disappointed me as well.  It was just a movie, with all the tropes, pointing out all the tropes.  But the only thing that made it different to me, compared to the other trope-filled movies, was self-awareness.  It was fine but I was hoping for something a little more fun.

I would love if Netflix took this idea and actually made it work because the concept is brilliant. 

I thought was just okay but I hated the ending. If they wanted the romances to end up being real they needed to go about it in a different way. Christmas Perfection did a much better job with that aspect by having the love interest be her best friend who was also trapped.