Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Not Everyone Makes It

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Herrmann goes to court to testify against Freddie, but when the perpetrator's father reaches out to beg forgiveness for his son's malicious attack, a tormented Herrmann is left to figure out what to do. Following the aftermath of the recent tornado, Lt. Casey learns the makeshift shelter housing victims is on the brink of shutting down. At the request of Alderman Colin Becks, Casey attends a fundraiser and is thrown into the spotlight, only to quickly discover that his good intentions might not have the impact he was hoping for. Dawson and Brett feel the repercussions after telling Boden about Chili's recent erratic behavior. Meanwhile, Severide helps Agent Alex Ward solve a homemade explosives case, and Otis receives a welcome surprise.

I'm just happy to see Casey getting a storyline that's not about his romance with Dawson.  Next time that Alderman chooses to use a fireman for publicity, he'd better make sure he chooses one without serious anger management issues.

I wasn't quite following why Severide was having such a problem with the affidavit.  Was she trying to get him to sign something that wasn't true?  

• Love 1

So Casey's getting into politics stuff now? *Groan*

Actually, that's quite common where I grew up.

Many civil servants in the police and fire run for councilman, and on the civil oversight (volunteer) schoool commission I served on for 5 years, most jumped into the School Board elections.

I have a fire-fighter cousin who ran for councilman (and lost). Two of our church members were policeman and ran for councilman of their respective cities (and both won).

• Love 1
I wasn't quite following why Severide was having such a problem with the affidavit.  Was she trying to get him to sign something that wasn't true?

It was quick, but I believe that the affidavit said that the door was ajar, which it was not. I am not sure why it mattered to Severide what was going on in that house. It that woman was legit, it would have been something top secret beyond his paid grade. Hey, Severide, never sign anything that isn't true, regardless of the reason or the level of hotness of the chick involve.

• Love 1

I hoped someone asked to see this woman's badge at some point because this show has already shown us what happens when a pretty lady asks you to kick down a door without authorization.  That girl was all kinds of skeevy, and Kelly is going to be too stupid to read the affidavit before signing it.  Always nice when someone writes your statement for you and then decides to explain what it essentially says so that you don't have to strain your pretty eyes.

My favorite line was Mouch's "Ever consider monogamy?"  Glad the other fire fighters are starting to snark on his revolving door.

I assume the alderman is now going to try to shut down Firehouse 51 to get back at Casey?  Good because we haven't seen a storyline like that at all.  How many calories can you burn from rolling your eyes?  Because I am trying to lose weight and binge-watching this show just may be my ticket.

• Love 6

So the tornado victim's son is missing. The police aren't finding him fast enough so she calls Casey? Huh? And it never occurs to the mom or the cops that he would be back at his house?? The "drama" on this show is so stupid!! Hermann with the attempted suicide was gripping though. Him sweating and worrying while performing cpr is why I still tune into this dumb show.

• Love 4

I did notice Herman's sweaty face and messy hair and wondered how the girlie EMTs were still fresh as daisies, every dab of makeup in place. I also thought Herman had come back too soon after the knife attack and was going to need EMTs himself.

• Love 2

I'm still stuck on the ridiculousness of that bus fire. What, were they just waiting around for Fire to show up before they tried to break out a window? Was this bus even legal if it didn't have pop-out windows for emergency exits? This wasn't a high-rise, they could have kicked out a window and jumped the 6 feet to the ground by the time help arrived.

Still don't care about Chili's self-destruction. 

Casey can always go on social media and out the Alderman for pocketing the shelter money. Normally, that's the kind of righteous justice they'd serve at House 51 (the stupid, not-well-thought-out kind that will get upper management on their ass),

• Love 2

I'm still stuck on the ridiculousness of that bus fire. What, were they just waiting around for Fire to show up before they tried to break out a window? Was this bus even legal if it didn't have pop-out windows for emergency exits? This wasn't a high-rise, they could have kicked out a window and jumped the 6 feet to the ground by the time help arrived.

Not to mention most buses have either rear or side door emergency exits. What the heck kind of bus was that?

I also didn't get the hanging kid thing - maybe I missed something. I thought they heard him hang himself which is when they busted down the door but they were already not getting a pulse? There wasn't time for him to strangle himself that quickly, and if his neck was broken resuscitation wasn't going to do it. Did they even say why he hung himself?

Is this story with Severide and the FBI lady something that's crossing over with Chicago PD? Because I felt like I missed a big chunk of it somewhere. These damn cross-overs are ruining the show.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2

Politics makes me cringe after the beginning of the season we had, but I'll take this storyline for Casey any day over the weekly adventures of Kelly "Studmuffin" Severide.

Argh. Even Taylor Kinney must be tired of it, I had the feeling he was phoning it and I wouldn't blame him. I know he's a good looking guy, but "asinine" doesn't even start to describe the material he's given, imo. (And I blame Shay's departure for this sorry state of things).

I was interested in Chili's storyline, but it ended up with an act of contrition straight out of an after-school special imo. I have the feeling now that the storyline wasn't about her, but about Sylvie and Gabby and how great they are. And yet, I'm usually a sucker for female friendships.

Mouch's line was great, but I'm sorry to say that it was the one and only thing I liked about this episode.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

I'm rolling my eyes at Severide and him bedding almost every woman he knows. I loved that Mouch snarked about it. I even told my dear father last night when we were watching " Special Episode coming up Severide gets an STD" LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Are we to assume that the title "Not everyone makes it" refers to Chili? Those tequila shots at the end did not bode well for her.

The title ("Not everyone makes it") was a line from Casey's speech.

• Love 1

I also didn't get the hanging kid thing - maybe I missed something. I thought they heard him hang himself which is when they busted down the door but they were already not getting a pulse? There wasn't time for him to strangle himself that quickly, and if his neck was broken resuscitation wasn't going to do it. Did they even say why he hung himself?

Dad said bullying, he thought cyber? 

IIRC, the parents called them because the kid was barricading himself in there.  No one knew what he was going to do, but they busted down the door because they were afraid that they'd take too long with another method, and the kid would hurt himself.  As it turned out, he'd hung himself some time before that, by the look of him.

Politics makes me cringe after the beginning of the season we had, but I'll take this storyline for Casey any day over the weekly adventures of Kelly "Studmuffin" Severide.

Argh. Even Taylor Kinney must be tired of it, I had the feeling he was phoning it and I wouldn't blame him. I know he's a good looking guy, but "asinine" doesn't even start to describe the material he's given, imo. (And I blame Shay's departure for this sorry state of things).

Well, he did get the demotion/Patterson plot, which started out okay, but ran way too long.  Honestly, I wish they'd just backburner Severide for a little while, like they did with Casey and Dawson after the miscarriage.  He's very entertaining when he plays a supporting role in other characters' plots, and they can bring him forward again when they have a decent plot for him.

• Love 2

Herman's scene with Freddie had me bawling like a baby. I think that Herman is the heart and soul of the show.

I like Hermann fine, but even all these years later I still see Steve Brady from SATC when I see David Eigenberg.  :-)

• Love 2

That was some kind of house fan that the kid hanged himself from.  Building codes must be different there.  I thought the boy had just kicked the chair out while they were there, as there was some kind of sound that gave Boden cause to order the breakdown.  And Herman; never, ever say "He's going to be fine" to the parents. 

I like how Station 51 personnel can just leave duty to chase down their own agendas.  Never mind about the staffing, I have a boy to find!

You did a fine thing there with Freddie, Hermann, but please please please don't ever let him back in the firehouse.  Those scenes just grated on me.  And don't accept any collect calls from prison, either.  That's bad juju, to put it mildly.

I find it hard to believe that an alderman would be so foolish as to pocket $50,000 of donated money.  When the shelter closes, everyone who donated will be up in arms also, not just Casey.  No doubt Chicago PD is standing by for another crossover episode.

Interesting, but not wholly unlikely, that they would carry a baton in the gear bag.  Most times that would be a no-no, but it did save Chili.  Brett needs to ask some CPD officer, say, "Hypothetically, if I was to hit someone with a baton, would it be more effective on the elbow or the knee?  Should I ever hit someone on the head?"

Mouch:  "Ever try monogamy?"

Severide:  "Only in Scrabble.  50 points extra for using all the tiles."

• Love 2

I find it hard to believe that an alderman would be so foolish as to pocket $50,000 of donated money.  When the shelter closes, everyone who donated will be up in arms also, not just Casey.  No doubt Chicago PD is standing by for another crossover episode.

It's Chicago.  Home of the most corrupt police, council/aldermen (& women), state senators and governors.

I like Hermann fine, but even all these years later I still see Steve Brady from SATC when I see David Eigenberg.  :-)

I have seen David Eigenberg play other roles where I did not think back to Steve Brady at all. I think I do now because the roles are so similar. Hard working family man, humanizes the people around him. Heck, Herrmann is even tending a bar. I could even see Brady with six kids (didn't he used to have six? now it looks like he has four but we tend to see only two.)  I just can't imagine Cynthia Nixon as Cindy. I could imagine that Amanda would have bailed on Herrman the moment she got partner.

I like how Station 51 personnel can just leave duty to chase down their own agendas.  Never mind about the staffing, I have a boy to find!

I thought the same thing. Casey is off giving speeches. Herrman is off to testify, with Cruz along for the ride. Severide is off for a nooner.

Whose watching the store?

Did we see sparks fly between Otis and Connie?

I'm glad Chilli's storyline is finally going somewhere. I know she's been a mess but the reaction from Gabby, Sylvie and Boden at times has bugged me. I get she shouldn't be working if her heads not in it but I felt they were all judging her a little too harshly. I guess they just didn't know the full story but we've been watching the show for four seasons now and I've seen most of the characters mess up because they're working when they're minds aren't on the job. She has just lost her drug addicted sister who she most likely spent the last 10 years stressing about. I feel bad for her. The two of them watching and judging her just bugs me. Like they've never screwed up.

I guess I'm mainly annoyed because the storyline doesn't feel like it's going to end up being about Chilli, it feels like its going to end up being about Gabby and Sylvie and how they feel about Chilli being a mess.

Severide's storylines are just embarrassing at this point. Like seriously show, give him some sort of lasting storyline. Creating random female characters every 5 episodes is just not sufficient anymore. Taylor Kinney isn't the worst actor and I'd say he's currently the most recognised actor from the show. Give him something more to do.

I'm glad Hermann has his faith back.

• Love 1

I don't know about giving Severide more to do.  He just had an entire nine episode arc about his job demotion after all.  And he even had subplots in episodes that should have been about other characters.  (I have no idea why they had to suddenly have a "oh no, Severide's mentor is about to commit suicide" tangent in the miscarriage episode.)  And Severide had the most screentime in the crossover as well.  Albeit that was mostly just him being a dick.  But it seems fair to estimate that he's had the most screentime of any character this season.

Dawson might get a lot of criticism for her screentime, but she hasn't had a plot since the miscarriage.  Casey hasn't either, and he's nominally the lead of the show.

It might be a quality vs. quantity thing at this point.  Is it better to have a lot of terrible plots, or one actually decent one?

I don't know about giving Severide more to do.  He just had an entire nine episode arc about his job demotion after all.  And he even had subplots in episodes that should have been about other characters.  (I have no idea why they had to suddenly have a "oh no, Severide's mentor is about to commit suicide" tangent in the miscarriage episode.)  And Severide had the most screentime in the crossover as well.  Albeit that was mostly just him being a dick.  But it seems fair to estimate that he's had the most screentime of any character this season.

Sorry looking at the above you're right he has way too much screentime. I guess I'm trying to say give him something of actual substance. I find his romance storylines so tedious.

Gabby I prefer in the background. The minute she gets a storyline she's all in your face aggressive and self righteous. I had been enjoying her but the Hermann getting stabbed episode reminded me of why I prefer her way in the background.

• Love 1

Sorry looking at the above you're right he has way too much screentime. I guess I'm trying to say give him something of actual substance. I find his romance storylines so tedious.

I agree with you.  I'm torn on the affidavit part of the storyline.  On one hand, it might lead somewhere.  But on the other, I'm really rather tired of plots where Severide will get into trouble because of his own stupid decisions, or make trouble worse because of them.  It gets frustrating to watch.

My favorite of his plots was when he met his sister.  I'd love to see a follow up on that (I'd also love to see Casey's murder-mom again), or another plot where he gets to help and support someone that he's not trying to sleep with.

• Love 1

I liked the sister plot as well. I'd like to see him be a source of comfort to Chilli since his grief of losing Shay was such a big part of season three. I don't want to see anything romantic between the pair but it would be nice to see him have some meaningful interaction with someone outside the norm.

My favorite favorite moment ever on this series was Severide imploring Gabby to fix whatever was wrong between her and Shay. Jeez I miss Shay, and the level of writing this show used to have.

I think the writing stable is stretched too thin and the best writers are working on the newest Chicago Med (and possibly a new series, Chicago Law). Chilli being a whack-job and how to solve her issues, today? Meh. The actors are fine, but the lines and plots they have to work with are really substandard to the first couple of seasons.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh