Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen: Past Seasons Discussion

It’s odd. I had totally forgotten that the entire final season was about Murphy’s Breast cancer and the surgeries and treatment she underwent. The only episode that sticks out for me is when Olivia Newton-John made a guest appearance.

And now Antenna just jumped from early season four to the end of season eight!

DAGNABBIT.

• Love 1

The episodes on Antenna TV that are on over the weekend are on season four, but the episodes on in the evenings during the week are at season eight. The weekends and weekdays are each going through the episodes sequentially, but the weekends are far behind since those days only have 2 episodes/week vs. 5/week for the weeknights.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, ombelico said:

The episodes on Antenna TV that are on over the weekend are on season four, but the episodes on in the evenings during the week are at season eight. The weekends and weekdays are each going through the episodes sequentially, but the weekends are far behind since those days only have 2 episodes/week vs. 5/week for the weeknights.

But Monday’s episode was from season four and yesterday and tonight was season eight.

Perhaps you're watching them on DVR and getting the days confused? On Monday they showed S8 Ep 23 and Tuesday night they showed S8 Ep 24.

\At any rate, that's why you're seeing episodes from two different seasons, depending on whether you watch on the weekend or during the week. Don't worry - if you continue on the weekend schedule, you should see all of the episodes in between eventually. :-)

8 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Breast cancer, pregnancy.  This is a sitcom, right?  Don't need to see it.

There are plenty of sitcoms that tackle serious issues with a dash of humor. All in the Family was one, this show is another. Both, I think, are examples of shows that largely got it right, but obviously mileage varies.

Anyway:

I'm going to burst into tears when Jim comes back next week and calls Murphy "Slugger", I just know it. I always loved it when he called her that.

And he had one of the funniest scenes during the breast cancer story (yes, there were some during that story): going to a park in the middle of the night in DC to score Murphy some pot! 

• Love 15
1 minute ago, UYI said:

And he had one of the funniest scenes during the breast cancer story (yes, there were some during that story): going to a park in the middle of the night in DC to score Murphy some pot! 

A friend and I still do the "cigarette, cigar, joint" routine from that episode from time to time.  And, yes, watching uptight Jim Dial score pot was great!  He'd been having such a hard time dealing with her cancer, avoiding her, even, and then he steps up to do the most un-Jim Dial thing ever to help her.  (Prior to that, "the closest I ever came to being such a brazen outlaw was when I took my neighbor's paper.  Nixon had resigned; it was a crazy time.") 

Ditto on "Slugger."  I can hear it in my head right now.  I love their relationship.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, UYI said:

There are plenty of sitcoms that tackle serious issues with a dash of humor. All in the Family was one, this show is another. Both, I think, are examples of shows that largely got it right, but obviously mileage varies.

Anyway:

I'm going to burst into tears when Jim comes back next week and calls Murphy "Slugger", I just know it. I always loved it when he called her that.

I'll go along with Larry David's philosophy:  "No hugging, no learning" - don't need pathos on sitcoms.

2 hours ago, Tanichka said:

I'll go along with Larry David's philosophy:  "No hugging, no learning" - don't need pathos on sitcoms.

Didn't you watch Murphy Brown in the old days, though? You seemed to be a fan in the past.

Oh well, different strokes and all that. Don't want anyone mad at me. :) (And, in all honesty, I have little to no interest in anything by Larry David. Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but all the attention surrounding him and his shows has always put me right off. Ditto the Harry Potter books.) 

I really need to catch up with the show on Antenna TV. I haven't seen nearly enough of it outside of the season 1 DVD (and the episode with Murphy's baby shower, which my mom taped from the original broadcast in 1992). I watched it on Nick at Nite back in the day, but not nearly enough. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, UYI said:

Didn't you watch Murphy Brown in the old days, though? You seemed to be a fan in the past.

Oh well, different strokes and all that. Don't want anyone mad at me. :) (And, in all honesty, I have little to no interest in anything by Larry David. Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but all the attention surrounding him and his shows has always put me right off. Ditto the Harry Potter books.) 

I really need to catch up with the show on Antenna TV. I haven't seen nearly enough of it outside of the season 1 DVD (and the episode with Murphy's baby shower, which my mom taped from the original broadcast in 1992). I watched it on Nick at Nite back in the day, but not nearly enough. 

I did watch the show in the past and liked it well enough.  They kind of lost me with her pregnancy.  I’m remembering it being funnier back in the Stone Age, but haven’t seen an episode in years.  I don’t think the new version is particularly good, humor wise or acting wise. Maybe I’m just old and crotchety.  

Curb your Enthusiasm has me rolling on the floor.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:47 PM, UYI said:

On 10/12/2018 at 8:16 PM, Bastet said:

A friend and I still do the "cigarette, cigar, joint" routine from that episode from time to time.  And, yes, watching uptight Jim Dial score pot was great!  He'd been having such a hard time dealing with her cancer, avoiding her, even, and then he steps up to do the most un-Jim Dial thing ever to help her.  (Prior to that, "the closest I ever came to being such a brazen outlaw was when I took my neighbor's paper.  Nixon had resigned; it was a crazy time.") 

Ditto on "Slugger."  I can hear it in my head right now.  I love their relationship.

I didn't see this show first run so I'm watching it for the first time on Antenna TV. I can't wait to watch Jim try to buy pot. That sounds like comedy gold. Murphy and Jim had a great relationship.  I always thought that "Slugger" was such a great nickname. It was Jim's way of letting her know she was accepted and one of the guys.  

• Love 2
On 10/12/2018 at 8:16 PM, Bastet said:

Word. I love that episode! I remember seeing that episode again, during Encore's anniversary marathon. Turns out that's Charles Kimbrough's favorite episode! :)

• Love 1

Dammit. I still cry whenever I watch the episode where we learn Murphy’s mom passed away. It was on today and damned if I didn’t tear up when Murphy broke down and asked why did she leave her? That she needed her now. At least the weekend episodes aren’t cut short or the screen minimized while Antenna  airs the next show, something it does with the episodes that air during the week.?

• Love 1

The Aretha Franklin episode was on last night!!!! I just always get a huge ass grin watching Murphy trying to control herself and not open her mouth to sing along with Aretha. Then belts out when Aretha lets up and tells her to let it out. I really wish we could have gotten Aretha to sing Respect as well. I’m keeping this one on my dvr.??

• Love 4
On 10/18/2018 at 7:49 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Episode where Phil died was on last night. Did the show realize that his widow’s name was also Phyllis shen they cast Tyne to play his sister, named Phyllis?

I rewatched the pilot and when Murphy greets Phil, she mentions how the family of Phils is doing!  He mentioned a Phyllis but it could have been his sister rather than his wife.  He also had sons named Phil.  It was a cute joke.

AntennaTV will be airing an all-day “Murphy at 30” marathon on November 14th... or maybe the 13th; some people are seeing it on AntennaTV’s Online Schedule on the 13th & others are seeing the 14th (& I’d swear the voiceover promo Shadoe Stevens does on the network for it, which I’ve heard multiple times, says November 14th). It’s supposed to be on from 5AM Eastern/4AM Central through 11:30PM Eastern/10:30PM Central (when the Johnny Carson Tonight Show repeat starts).

I don’t have a link to the info, but I was watching AntennaTV awhile ago & they aired a couple of promos for it while I was watching.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To restore a calendar date and add comments.
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

AntennaTV will be airing an all-day “Murphy at 30” marathon on November 14th

According to the Antenna TV site, it's actually Tuesday, Nov 13th that they will be showing the marathon (from 5am-11pm eastern). They list the titles of the episodes, if you have a favorite.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

According to the Antenna TV site, it's actually Tuesday, Nov 13th that they will be showing the marathon (from 5am-11pm eastern). They list the titles of the episodes, if you have a favorite.

Thanks for the correction. I’d have sworn Shadoe Stevens says the 14th on the voiceover. Even though your post with the correct date is after mine, I’ll correct my post anyway.

For reasons that might be obvious by my screen name, I’m hoping 1 of the eps they’re showing is “One”—Avery’s first birthday party, complete with special guest, & unusual invited guests thanks to a mixup by Murphy’s secretary of the episode, which Murphy almost completely misses because of travel issues. There are others, like “Birth”, I want to see; but I’m really hoping for “One” to be on too.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
6 hours ago, illdoc said:

I finally went to look at the AntennaTV schedule for the upcoming marathon. The date that came up for me was November 14th, just as I originally said, from 5AM Eastern/4AM Central through 11:30PM Eastern/10:30 PM Central.

Funny, when I go, I still get Tuesday. Went to TVGuide listings to settle the matter and....it has just the regular schedule for both days. So, we'll just have to see when we get closer to the date.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I'm seeing the 14th. They list all the episodes, too; sadly "One" is not one of them.

Maybe they’re having trouble getting a continued license to use/air Manilow’s song/performance (& “I Am Your Child” wasn’t even a single; it was just an album cut, from his first album—though he does do it, at least periodically, in his live shows & it’s very popular when he does)? But I’m pretty sure “One” previously aired in syndication; so they had rights to use it for at least a certain period after the show went off-network/ended the original CBS run.

Oh well... the birthday party may not be on, but the birth is. So I can deal with that.

AntennaTV played that episode recently in their regular order of episodes, so I don't think it's a licensing issue. It probably just didn't make the cut for whatever criteria they used to select the episodes for the upcoming marathon, but it is in their rotation. So if it's your favorite, keep an eye out as the episodes progress through the order again.

• Love 2

Oh SQUEEEEEEE!!!! “ And That’s the Way it Was?” Was on Wednesday night! I’m keeping this on my dvr because ❤️WALTER CRONKITE❤️ was on! At first it looked like he wasn’t in the scene-it was all so blurry, and there was no excitement or cheering applause that there should have been when they showed him.

Man, I miss him.

• Love 3

And I just realized why I don’t remember much from the last two seasons: the addition of Kay. They had Murphy lose to her manipulations ALL THE TIME. And it was not fun. But I love Bergen so I’ll stick it out while they go through.

The one good thing about tomorrow’s marathon is that the season nine episodes won’t record since they just aired for me and I have the show on my dvr.

• Love 2

So "Tempus Fugit" was on Tuesday night, and Murphy's Line about the effects of eating the spicy, very spicy Indian food, was payback for her "falling asleep during Gandhi" made me 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 because Candice starred in Gandhi as a photographer who worked for LIFE Magazine and was doing a story on him. Watching Kay and Jim's reactions to the spicy food also made me 🤣🤣🤣🤣, because even as one who is Indian, I love my spicy food, especially Lamb Vindaloo, but I always get raita (cucumber yogurt) to go with it, as a cooling agent. Though I did 😒😒😒 at Frank's Indian accent while Murphy was telling everyone what dishes she'd ordered.

But I loved Murphy's no holds-barred, slapping down of that twit, who only offered her a one-year contract because of her cancer. Especially the line about "eating your face!"

I watched last night on Antenna TV.  It was the Olivia Newton John ep.  I had forgotten that in the last season or two, Doris Dial was played by a different actress (I watched less and less when Lily Tomlin came on, and I quit watching during the last season).  I didn't like her.  She didn't look anything like the prior Doris, and was someone I couldn't have seen being married to Jim in "real life".

I didn't like Lily Tomlin's character (or maybe I just missed Miles) so I didn't watch as much back then which makes several of these episodes totally new to me. Oddly enough, Lily Tomlin makes me laugh and has definitely grown on me!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I watched last night on Antenna TV.  It was the Olivia Newton John ep.  I had forgotten that in the last season or two, Doris Dial was played by a different actress (I watched less and less when Lily Tomlin came on, and I quit watching during the last season).  I didn't like her.  She didn't look anything like the prior Doris, and was someone I couldn't have seen being married to Jim in "real life".

I'm looking forward to this one! Like @Kohola3, I didn't watch much of season 10 the first time around because I can't stand Kay. But I do remember tuning in to see Olivia Newton-John's guest appearance. So looking forward to tonight when I get home.

8 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I didn't like Lily Tomlin's character (or maybe I just missed Miles) so I didn't watch as much back then which makes several of these episodes totally new to me. Oddly enough, Lily Tomlin makes me laugh and has definitely grown on me!

I'm still not a fan, but I tolerate her more now than I did back then.

42 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I didn't watch the 9th or 10th seasons, except for maybe a couple here or there, in the original run. I do remember not liking Kay though. Having gone back and watched them she has grown on me a bit too. I still miss Miles, but it I don't hate her. She actually has some funny/weird asides. I think they also toned down the animosity or rivalry between Kay and Murphy in the 10th season, it's pretty much non-existent during the cancer storyline. Which I also have to add I think was handled really well overall, and led to some great moments between the characters ("Ectomy, Schmectomy," "Operation Murphy Brown," "Florence Night-en Corky," and "Waiting to Inhale," all come to mind). I actively avoided the cancer storyline when it was on originally because I was a young teen and my own mother was going through breast cancer treatment literally that same year and I had just lost my grandmother to it early that year, so the last thing I wanted to watch was someone else going through it. Seeing it as an adult has been interesting and overall I think they were pretty accurate with their depiction. 

• Love 2

"Turpis Capillus Annus (Bad Hair Day)" was on Monday night. I watched it last night, and damned if it didn't reduce me to tears and HIT me. I don't think I could have appreciated watching Murphy dealing with hair loss, horrible wigs and not being able to talk to anyone if I'd seen this the first time around. Because I couldn't really understand then. Now, I do. Because I went through the same thing four years ago. Unlike Murphy though, I had my best friend shave what was left of my hair, but Murphy didn't. That last scene just about broke me. Candice was so very, very good there.  I wish I could have found a support group. But the only ones that were there only met during the day. And I had an asshole for a boss, who worked me like an abused dog during chemo. Oh but that scene with Murphy and Avery at the end...

• Love 4
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

"Turpis Capillus Annus (Bad Hair Day)" was on Monday night. I watched it last night, and damned if it didn't reduce me to tears and HIT me. I don't think I could have appreciated watching Murphy dealing with hair loss, horrible wigs and not being able to talk to anyone if I'd seen this the first time around. Because I couldn't really understand then. Now, I do. Because I went through the same thing four years ago. Unlike Murphy though, I had my best friend shave what was left of my hair, but Murphy didn't. That last scene just about broke me. Candice was so very, very good there.  I wish I could have found a support group. But the only ones that were there only met during the day. And I had an asshole for a boss, who worked me like an abused dog during chemo. Oh but that scene with Murphy and Avery at the end...

This one was a total gut punch. I feel like I remember Frank saying that she did cut her hair back when he came in and told everyone about Murphy getting her wig. What jumped out at me was that in the support group were Marcia Wallace and Wendie Jo Sperber, both had breast cancer either before this or during and have since passed away. Tracy Nelson had breast cancer more recently too.

• Love 1

Oh dear. I found a continuity gaffe when I watched Tuesday night's episode! I'm blanking on the name, but it opens with Murphy dreaming that Jim died, and most of the episode is Kay and Murphy on the phone, while the former is helping Murphy to bake cookies. And she did it! The gaffe? Murphy's oven is on the viewers' right side of the screen. Whereas in the Thanksgiving episode this season, it was on our left side, with instructions, as if she'd never used it!

Avery LOVED the cookies! Even if Murphy used a slap-dash method, and used chocolate chip cookies for the chocolate chips!😂😂😂😆😆😆😆😆

Add me to those that does NOT LIKE Doris' recast actress. She played her like a totally different character. Why did they recast her? There's no warmth between them. She comes off like a cold fish.

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The gaffe? Murphy's oven is on the viewers' right side of the screen. Whereas in the Thanksgiving episode this season, it was on our left side, with instructions, as if she'd never used it!

There's been a long time between then and now; Murphy may have had the kitchen remodeled, and never used her new oven since it was put in.

• Love 3

“Opus One”: A.KA. Murphy’s 50th Birthday!

Me: 🥰🥰🥰🥰😁😁😁😁

Dick Clark! CHUBBY CHECKER!!! Leslie Gore! Fabian! 

I will not lie: I was doing the Twist while Chubby was singing!

Oh! How could I forget! Sally Fields as the forgetful? Delusional? Secretary! Why wasn’t she in that video compilation?

I loved seeing Candice dance!

I was hoping for a Barry Manilow cameo since he sang the opening theme to American Bandstand.😆

• Love 3

"He-Ho, He-Ho, It's Off to Lamaze We Go!" was on Sunday, but I watched it last night, and I 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 from the beginning to how Murphy wanted to schedule a Cesarean, to when Eldin finally agreed to be her Lamaze coach, to the class and end. Candice looked particularly beautiful near the end when she was telling Eldin how scared she was. Red is a very good color on her.

• Love 3
On 12/16/2018 at 1:28 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Me: 🥰🥰🥰🥰😁😁😁😁

Dick Clark! CHUBBY CHECKER!!! Leslie Gore! Fabian! 

I will not lie: I was doing the Twist while Chubby was singing!

Oh! How could I forget! Sally Fields as the forgetful? Delusional? Secretary! Why wasn’t she in that video compilation?

I loved seeing Candice dance!

I was hoping for a Barry Manilow cameo since he sang the opening theme to American Bandstand.😆

For some reason I didn't see much of the 10th season.  Murphy's 50th birthday party was completely awesome!  Barry Manilow would been the cherry on top!  I've really been enjoying these episodes.  When the FYI team tries to locate the guy from high school she had a crush on to Kay pretending to be a man to the IRS accountant, played by Frederic Forrest.   

• Love 1
On 12/16/2018 at 1:28 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

That wouldn't make sense because Frank was doing something wonderful and he knows Murphy can't stand Barry Manilow. I agree with you that the episode is amazing. They did a fantastic job of re-creating the set of American Bandstand. Dick Clark didn't look that old, which is wild. He barely aged over 40 years, than rapidly aged decades after his strokes. 

Also, I've heard people talk about an episode where Jim buys pot for Murphy. Did I miss it in the reruns on Antenna TV or did  Antenna skip the episoe? 

Edited by Sarah 103
9 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

That wouldn't make sense because Frank was doing something wonderful and he knows Murphy can't stand Barry Manilow. I agree with you that the episode is amazing. They did a fantastic job of re-creating the set of American Bandstand. Dick Clark didn't look that old, which is wild. He barely aged over 40 years, than rapidly aged decades after his strokes. 

Also, I've heard people talk about an episode where Jim buys pot for Murphy. Did I miss it in the reruns on Antenna TV or did  Antenna skip the episoe? 

I know, but STILL.

They aired the episode Waiting to Inhale” during the all day marathon last month. If you had the show set on dvr to record and it recorded it on the 14th, then it wouldn’t have recorded it again when it aired two weeks ago in order. I’ve had to go in and manually set the recording for episodes that were recorded last month.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, wilsie said:

Kay pretending to be a man to the IRS accountant, played by Frederic Forrest.   

Forget about that nonsense! Rosie O'Donnell as Murphy's Singing Secretary!!!!!giphy.gifgiphy.gif

And how they all sang "good-bye, farewell" to urge her back to HR! I wish she'd stayed longer! Would have preferred more scenes with her and Murphy and Murphy's frustration, than Kay dressed as "Rick."

• Love 1

The reruns re-started Wednesday night in the 11pm time slot.  I have it set to DVR that timeslot (they show different seasons on weekends), and watched the pilot last night.  Looking forward to watching the show again.  My husband didn't watch, so he's looking forward to it as well.