Type keyword(s) to search

GMW In the Media: Girl Meets Media

Rowan Blanchard maybe came out as bi-sexual/ queer today on twitter? Also, she seems to be 100% for bi-sexual Riley Matthews. IDK if Disney would go for that although they have now had a lesbian couple on GLC.

paris @coffeeshoprowan
BisexualRileyMatthews2k16
@coffeeshoprowan would really be here for this! if not Riley- its vvv important to me, being queer, that there is representation on our show. & being queer to me just means not putting a label on sexuality- just existing

Am I out of touch or is that not what being queer means? Rowan states that she's only ever been attracted to guys and I believe she currently has a boyfriend. Just existing is simply going about your life, but I thought being a queer man or woman means "Queer is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities that are not heterosexual or cisgender." 

I like Rowan alot and think she's become a much better actress over time, but I also kind of think she's very impressionable and has really changed her persona because she's easily influenced by Amandla Stenberg and Tavi Gevinson. Both girls are older than her (and have said some very intelligent things concerning feminism) but it seems sometimes Rowan is just mimicking them and what they believe. Of course that's not really a big issue since she is still young and shaping her personality..it just comes off a bit disingenuous occasionally.

Edited by grandemocha

Queer has a lot of connotations. Essentially, anyone who isn't 100% heterosexual could fall under the umbrella of queer. So, Rowan might be currently dating a boy and be mainly attracted to boys, but is also somewhat attracted to girls and would consider dating a girl in the future. 

ETA: Upon further investigation, this does turn out to be the case. Rowan said that she has only ever been attracted to boys, but doesn't yet feel comfortable labeling herself as "heterosexual." So, she identifies as "queer" because that's a label with which she is more comfortable.

but is also somewhat attracted to girls and would consider dating a girl in the future.

But she didn't say that? None of her tweets have her saying she's somewhat attracted to girls? All she said was that in her life she has only ever been attracted to guys, but it seems like she doesn't want to call herself straight in case she does ever like a girl down the line? Which I don't personally understand, just because she calls herself straight now, she can always state that she is bisexual or lesbian later if that is where her life takes her? No one says labels have to be permanent.

@ROWMANTlC  20h20 hours ago

I knew she was gay

@Iightsburnout  20h20 hours ago

@ROWMANTlC it seemed so obvious

@rowblanchard  20h20 hours ago

@Iightsburnout @ROWMANTlC literally what the hell u don't "know" someone's sexuality

..But then she also had this to say? So, I'm just overall unclear on how she identifies, but I think I'll stop here since it shouldn't matter. Her private life is hers to live and she makes a really good Riley. I do also like that Disney has moved past the "purity ring" era that Demi, Miley, and Selena were in and their stars are now allowed to be more expressive.

Edited by grandemocha

I kind of love the irony of putting a label on not putting a label on things. Basically proving it is virtually impossible not to label things.

I do find her reasoning fascinating. She has dated boys, likes boys, but doesn't want to call herself straight because some day she might like a girl? Or is it just that she wants to seem more edgy and progressive and being straight is too...straight. lol

• Love 2

Honestly, Rowan's just a little to too for my tastes, if you know what I mean. Not every little thought in her head has to be a big giant social issue that she feels compelled to "school" the rest of the world on. it's like she's just picked up on key words FEMINISM, RACE, SEXISM, SEXUALITY, and once she releases her little world view essay, gets people saying wow, she's so wise beyond her years, she moves on to the next topic and forgets the last. Child, please. You are 14 years old, a white privileged child at that. Get back to us when you are 21, 25, or 30 and actually have some world experience, aren't on a TV show, might have actually dealt with some of these issues in your life. She's like the 21 year old college kid driving a BMW, who has never even held a part time job that wasn't Daddy supplied, never worried about how they were going to pay for their $30,000+ a year private college, spent every spring break in some wonderful warm tropical place, who thinks they have the answer to everything because they basically saw some people struggling once. Not them, mind you, but they saw it and they therefore know what it's like. 

• Love 4

Honestly, Rowan's just a little to too for my tastes, if you know what I mean. Not every little thought in her head has to be a big giant social issue that she feels compelled to "school" the rest of the world on. it's like she's just picked up on key words FEMINISM, RACE, SEXISM, SEXUALITY, and once she releases her little world view essay, gets people saying wow, she's so wise beyond her years, she moves on to the next topic and forgets the last. Child, please. You are 14 years old, a white privileged child at that. Get back to us when you are 21, 25, or 30 and actually have some world experience, aren't on a TV show, might have actually dealt with some of these issues in your life. She's like the 21 year old college kid driving a BMW, who has never even held a part time job that wasn't Daddy supplied, never worried about how they were going to pay for their $30,000+ a year private college, spent every spring break in some wonderful warm tropical place, who thinks they have the answer to everything because they basically saw some people struggling once. Not them, mind you, but they saw it and they therefore know what it's like.

Someone has indoctrinated Rowan Blanchard pretty thoroughly into the cult of social justice warrior. Excuse me while I roll my eyes clean out of my head.
  • Love 2

Eh. Believe me, I went to a high school where a lot of girls declared that they were bisexual or "queer" because they wanted to feel open-minded and different, and the mass bulk of them probably haven't messed with a girl past college. So trust me, I get it. Claire's foray into lesbianism on Six Feet Under was so perfectly done- she was fine with kissing a girl and all that, but when it came to actually going for it, it just didn't do it for her, even though she wanted to feel like she could be comfortable with that.

I mean, again, she's 14. You're SUPPOSED to be idealistic and believe you know everything at that age. I remember when I was her age, I boycotted Nike products because of child labor stuff, and a few years later I walked out of class to protest the Iraq War like I was making a big difference in the world. It's irritating to those of us who know better, but I'd rather have her actually care about issues than be yet another spoiled, pampered child star who only cares about looking "hot" in photos and plumping up her lips or her ass with fat injections.

But yeah, if they want Bisexual Riley, I'm all for it! Honestly, I remember thinking Nick was going to do it first, but then Disney went ahead and got the lesbian couple on GLC.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5

Someone has indoctrinated Rowan Blanchard pretty thoroughly

Amandla and Tavi. She's essentially parroting their actions, style of dress, interests, etc. She's young though, so who knows what she'll believe or think in a few years.

Social Justice Warrior. Heh. One of my favorite terms of the last couple years. I'm glad Rowan speaks about gender and sexuality issues at 14. She cares about a lot more stuff than I did at that age. Good for her.

I just don't see Disney going the LGBT route for the main characters though. The lesbian couple on GLC and one of the girls on I Didnt Do It had two dads but we don't really see them as much. They might surprise me but I can't see it happening.

• Love 1

I think Disney is slowly inching their way towards a main character being LGBT however, IDK if Girl Meets World will be the place. Plus, I feel like here it would be done just because it would be something to do rather than anything that felt organic. Two girls (or two guys) can be BFFs without having sexy feelings about each other. I would rather Riley and Maya grow old together as BFFs for life than become a couple. MMV

The lesbians on GLC were only in one episode and I don't think Delia's two dads were ever on screen. They were only occasionally mentioned by her. If Disney is going to include regular or recurring LGBT characters on their shows I'd expect that they would start with secondary or tertiary characters. And they would probably be adults. It's probably going to take some years before there will be an LGBT teen main character on Disney Channel and by then GMW will probably already have ended (I don't expect it to go beyond Riley and Maya's high school graduation).

Edited by paulvdb
(edited)

So they picked the worst credits to mimic, made it longer, and kept the horrible theme. They should've done the car intro or the simple boy (now girl) lounging near the spinning earth.

Edited by Skyfall
On May 23, 2016 at 3:46 PM, maraleia said:

So here are the new titles for the show

In other words, they've given up any hope of the show standing on its own merits, and are completely selling out to BMW nostalgia.

• Love 4
(edited)

If anyone is wondering about the geography of the current set.... here's a Curtain Call showing the placement. 

The Matthews living room is to stage right of the classroom, and Riley's bedroom is to stage left of the school Hallway. Which is why you never see a single unbroken shot of someone walking from the living room into Riley's room--you can't really see into Riley's room but the color scheme on the walls makes it obvious it's her room, and you can outright see the relationship of the other three rooms (the hallway, the classroom and the living room). This must have been different last season though, given the fact that the classroom WAS shown from the reverse angle last year (or perhaps just the hallway and classroom were flipped in the order then). This season Corey is teaching from stage left. Last year he taught from stage right. 

No idea in all of this where Topanga's Bakery is. Possibly they redress something, or it's even further stage right or stage left from what you see here. Stage left of what I think is Riley's bedroom is another room with yellow walls. I suppose I have to go back and watch episodes to figure out exactly what that is. 

EDIT - at least one of the Curtain Calls from an episode set outside of the school (I won't say which episode in case it's considered spoilery) shows several of these spaces totally redressed as other locations--you can really only tell from their relative positions that they seem to be able to break down the whole set if needed.

Edited by Kromm

Drama within the cast. Basically Uriah( Josh) made a very idiotic Instagram post agreeing with some man that basically said that if you are one of those black lives matter protestors, or who bashes police, and get butt fucked in the alley, hope that a cop comes by and does his job. Uriah called that poster a real American. 

When Carmen ( Rowan's sister) and Amir saw that, they dragged his ass to the grave. Carmen posted an amazing post, dragging Uriah on Twitter and Amirpoated a diagram about unarmed black men getting killed and tagged Uriah. Then Rowan and Sabrina both blocked him. Carmen also inadvertently shaded Peyton, after Peyton favorited a tweet about #alllivesmatter.

basically: insanity

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

basically: insanity

Yeah, sounds like it went off the rails really fast. And they're still shooting the back end of the season, aren't they?  Means they have to show up on set now and deal with each other with no cool down period.

"alllivesmatter" is this horrible tragedy waiting to happen because we've got these relatively uninvolved white folk who mostly don't know better who think it's a positive message and don't get the insulting subtext, because they haven't been paying enough attention. They don't get that even if specific people like a nut who shoots at cops are dead wrong, that you don't communicate that as a bystander with dismissive language/imagery that insults more moderate, but justly concerned people. 

Hmm. re: IMDB...

Peyton Meyer was born on November 24, 1998 in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Uriah was born on March 10, 1997 in Dallas, Texas. 

Both Red States, although Nevada isn't THAT red.  But good lord. You'd think Meyer would realize that he works right next to a BLACK PERSON every day. Even if he could somehow forget that Rowan is a pretty blatant Social Justice Warrior.

Again, I wonder how they get back to a state where they can easily all work next to each other.

Edited by Kromm

Sabrina and Corey have both been silent, but going by their retweets, especially Sabrina's, they are very much a #blacklivesmatter supporters. Doesnt  help that Peyton also liked some trump support tweets, then deleted them soon after. However, I think Peyton just needs a little more education. Uriah seems like a lost cause.

But, Sabrina/Corey/Rowan/Amir are all profest; sional on the set, so I think they'll be fine. But.", man I wouldn't be shock if Uriah is not in the next season ( if they get more).

10 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

When Carmen ( Rowan's sister) and Amir saw that, they dragged his ass to the grave. Carmen posted an amazing post, dragging Uriah on Twitter and Amirpoated a diagram about unarmed black men getting killed and tagged Uriah. 

Do you have links to these posts because I can't seem to find them

Uriah has Alabama as his location on twitter so there's that. This is one big crapfest. Have Uriah and Peyton been ignoring Rowan's social justice work? If so how stupid is that because they should know better especially with Amir working on the show.

Get back on topic. If you would like to find a place to discuss celebrities and their views on political affairs, there are plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere on the Internet. This forum is not that place.

• Love 2

I'm listening to the episode of Literary Disco where Rider Strong is discussing the show. The quote was totally taken out of context, IMO. For background, there hadn't been a new episode of the podcast in about 5 months. The three hosts were coming back and discussing what has been keeping them busy for so long before jumping into their normal discussion of books. Rider was talking about a few of the projects he has been working on and says that they finished Girl Meets World and it ended. However, he doesn't necessarily make it sound like the show has ended, just that they're not working on it right now.

Side note: If you like books, you should listen to Literary Disco. It's one of my favorite podcasts.

1 hour ago, AmandaPanda said:

Disregard* what I said above. It looks like the show is over. 

http://tvline.com/2017/01/04/girl-meets-world-cancelled-season-4-disney-channel/

*Only the stuff about Rider Strong's quote. Literary Disco is still a great podcast.

there already petitions on change.org for either Netflix or Freeform to pick up the show(not a chance in hell of the latter channel picking it up IMO)

GMW going to have company,since Best Friends Whenever has been confirmed as cancelled also

This show would have done better had it gone the way of Full(er) House and focused more on the characters we already loved, rather than their kid.  I appreciate what they were trying to do but they were extremely limited by doing it on Disney Channel. 

• Love 5

It's too bad it wasn't on Freeform to start. Then it could have focused more on the older crew. Maya could have been Shawn's long lost daughter he never knew he had, and now he's turning to Cory and Topanga for advice on how to raise a child.  "remember the time we..." Flashbacks to when they were kids?" Flashbacks to when they were kids... "Yeah, don't let her do that!" It also wouldn't have been dumbed down to the point that the audience is left wondering how Riley can even feed herself.

Pity. I quite liked the cast and their characters. I just hated what the show turned into. There was a point, somewhere in season 2 where, for just a few shining eps they seemed to have the perfect balance of silly and sincere. Then they blew it.

• Love 4

Maya could have been Shawn's long lost daughter he never knew he had

To call this "character assassination" is way too strong of a term for how I feel, but I really would have disliked this plot line.  Sure, Shawn dated lots of girls on BMW, but I feel like having him find out he was a dad could have shown him as having been irresponsible.  Seems a bit deep for the way this show has gone.

• Love 2

Also I love how the twitter verse is just choosing not to acknowledge the fact this is due to Sabrina. Her music career is skyrocketing and she doesn't have time to film 20+ episodes.

4 minutes ago, TAG42481 said:

To call this "character assassination" is way too strong of a term for how I feel, but I really would have disliked this plot line.  Sure, Shawn dated lots of girls on BMW, but I feel like having him find out he was a dad could have shown him as having been irresponsible.  Seems a bit deep for the way this show has gone.

Not necessarily.  He could have been in the dark because Ms. Clutterbucket hid it from him.  That would create loads of drama between Katy Clutterbucket and Shawn, while he internally fought the fact that he unintentionally became everything he didn't want to be.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Also I love how the twitter verse is just choosing not to acknowledge the fact this is due to Sabrina. Her music career is skyrocketing and she doesn't have time to film 20+ episodes.

Is that really the reason? Wouldn't she already be under contract with Disney to do the show?

Similar to what happened with Ariana Grande and Sam & Cat..?

Ive still yet to find any traces that BFW is canceled. Proof or it didn't happen.

One of the cast members is part of a boy band called Forever In Your Mind..DC just picked up a new show that him and his bandmates are starring in

Sabrina isn't to blame for anything.  Disney Channel seemed to lose interest in the show after the first season.  Didn't renewal drag out a bit for the third season?  Then to make the cast and crew wait for an answer all these months when it was probably known on the inside that the show was over when they filmed the last episode.  The show was oddly disrespected by the network especially considering the veteran actors they had with it.  That said, they got 3 season.  That is average for Disney.  No big scandal that it's over.