Type keyword(s) to search

GMW In the Media: Girl Meets Media

This poor show is going to have so much to live up to. And it's going to force people to remember the early years of Boy meets world. What I've seen of this so far.....reminds me quite a bit of Boy Meets World. The difference now is, that I see Corey and Topanga's kid as like a niece. It isn't myself living through these people, it's me hoping my friends kid does well.

(edited)

Here's a link to the opening credits and theme song.

The Good:  The Globe and the Paper Airplane are clearly there to invoke the original Boy Meets World credits (otherwise known as "the best of them", although that's a low bar, since the credits on that show were, at best, merely serviceable, and the theme music progressively more unmemorable/generic as time went by).

The Mediocre:  The Disney Generic song--that said it could have been FAR worse.  That article says it was done by their little star, but clearly via the magic of a nice editing suite, tons of autotune, and (certainly to some extent intentionally) they also have her channeling Demi Lovato.

The Bad:  Nothing outright.

Those credits are also a lesson in Disney Channel vs. Broadcast.  50 seconds would never fly on Broadcast these days (especially when half those credits don't even have names over them), but it's okay on Disney Channel proper, because Disney is clearly okay with putting more of the song in so they might be able to sell copies of it at some point.

I will say ahead of time that "I'm out" at whatever point they try to lean on the fact that the girl sings to "in show" give her a singing career/put her in a band/or even make her want to be an Actress.  I know by definition being a "Disney Star" means singing, but this didn't start as a Disney concept... so...  Anyway, let her have songs on whatever show soundtrack they issue, or just on iTunes, but PLEASE don't bring it into the show.

Edited by Kromm

I really don't think they will, outside maybe a talent show or two. She can be a good singer, but I don't expect cory and topanga to allow her to drop out of school to pursue it. I think's that the key.They have two characters that everybody knows about at this point.

The pilot episode pulled a pretty respectable 5.2 million viewers last night (including 1.3 million in the 18-to-49 demographic)...which surprisingly is still behind Liv and Maddie's pilot (5.8M), but still.

I wonder what the metrics would be if you add in the on-line viewing for the show over the month and change preceding as well (when it was up on Disney streaming site)?  It probably more than makes up for that 600K difference.  Heck, if you include YouTube copies and Torrents and such (no way to count those), the jump might be even bigger, but the views on Disney.com ARE calculable, even if there's some inherent stat fluffyness due to rarely knowing for sure if they represent unique or repeat viewings.

This show would do so much better if it aired at the same time and same day each week. What the hell is wrong with Disney's scheduling?

The new episodes will air at the same time each week.

When is it because my DVR shows it airing at different times of the day and various days and it still hasn't recorded the second episode?

Welcome to cable television where they can reair the same episode like 3 times a week to make sure everyone catches it at various days and times.

I think that was inevitable.  Even if the numbers hadn't been as good as they've been.

BTW: if anyone thinks there's any chance of the show aiming less for the Disney demo and more for the classic BMW one?  Sorry to disappoint. Read between the lines of this bit from TVByTheNumbers.

Disney Channel has ordered a second season of the comedy series "Girl Meets World." It was announced today by Adam Bonnett, Executive Vice President, Original Programming, Disney Channels Worldwide. Since its June premiere, "Girl Meets World" has ranked as television's number one series among Kids 2-11, Kids 6-11 and Tweens 9-14. To date, it has generated 4.7 million views on the WATCH Disney Channel app for mobile devices. "Girl Meets World" was created by Michael Jacobs and April Kelly and is executive-produced by Jacobs. It stars Rowan Blanchard, Sabrina Carpenter, Ben Savage, Danielle Fishel, August Maturo, Peyton Meyer and Corey Fogelmanis. Production resumes in Los Angeles in November.

"The series swiftly became a favorite of kids and their parents, many of whom grew up with 'Boy Meets World,'" Bonnett said. "We're looking forward to watching Riley Matthews and Maya Hart make the world their own, as Cory and Topanga teach them life lessons along the way."

Edited by Kromm

The good news is that Sabrina Carpenter got the nod to perform in the Macy's Parade.  The bad news is that like everyone else in that "show" she was made to lipsynch (in other words, not show off her actual talent).  They're not given a choice from what I've always heard, so it's not on her.

To her credit she did the lipsyncing better than most of the other artists there.  Being good at faking is an odd thing to have to compliment someone on, but it still goes towards being good at your craft IMO (I'd bet she decided to actually sing, and her mike is just turned off and she's got very consistent timing in how she paces the song--so that's why it looks convincing).

Burning 5 episodes in one week is a weird way to shorten the season.

Disney has done the same thing with other shows before.  I know they recently did it on XD with Lab Rats (although I think it was just Mon-Thurs, not all 5 days).  I don't think it's to shorten the season (especially since each show seems to pretty much have its own season, in an effort to make sure there are a few shows in season on air at any given time of the year).  I think it's just a publicity gimmick to get the kids excited about the new season and give the channel a little ratings bump during the week. 

Disney has done the same thing with other shows before.  I know they recently did it on XD with Lab Rats (although I think it was just Mon-Thurs, not all 5 days).  I don't think it's to shorten the season (especially since each show seems to pretty much have its own season, in an effort to make sure there are a few shows in season on air at any given time of the year).  I think it's just a publicity gimmick to get the kids excited about the new season and give the channel a little ratings bump during the week.

Ratings bump?

I expect that while the GMW episodes on other days might get superior ratings to the other stuff that might have otherwise been in those spots, they will probably at the same time get WORSE ratings than if each of them had eventually shown in the normal Friday timeslot.

If I'm right I suppose it will all boil down to if they want to boost ratings for the channel for the week or maintain ratings for the show. Because one of the two of those will be sacrificed.

I'd think it gives a decent increase over whatever rerun would normally be shown at that time on a week night.  I know that, in our house, it's pretty rare to have DC on during prime time Mon-Thurs unless they're doing this.  I also don't think it's solely about the ratings bump for any given night.  It's also just a little publicity move to get kids excited about the new season.  Since new episodes airing Mon-Thurs isn't something that normally happens, it makes it more of an "event."

I'm not saying that the shows aired the other nights are going to get higher ratings than the Friday night showing, just that it will likely get more viewers than a rerun of a Jessie episode they've seen a dozen or so times or a replay of an old DCOM.  

Ratings bump?

I expect that while the GMW episodes on other days might get superior ratings to the other stuff that might have otherwise been in those spots, they will probably at the same time get WORSE ratings than if each of them had eventually shown in the normal Friday timeslot.

If I'm right I suppose it will all boil down to if they want to boost ratings for the channel for the week or maintain ratings for the show. Because one of the two of those will be sacrificed.

The thing to keep in mind is that DC doesn't work like other channels, so probably don't look at ratings the same way. With most networks, ratings for first run episodes count big time because that determines how much they can charge advertisers who want to run commercials on the network. But, with Disney Channel, their biggest advertiser is Disney, because most of the commercials on Disney are all about promoting Disney stuff. (Movies, DVDs, CDs, the amusement parks, games, etc.)

So how many people watch the first airing of an episode doesn't matter as much to DC as it would another network where ratings help them set ad prices. They're more concerned with getting more people to watch the network overall, whenever that is (which is why they re-air episodes at all hours), because it means they can promote their stuff to more people. And I think they do "special events" like this one hoping to get more people to check out their shows and the channel and, hopefully, become somewhat regular DC viewers.

In fact, I think one of the reasons GMW exists is that DC is hoping to attract new viewers, especially BMW fans, to the network.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 2

Cross-posting here and in the Mr. Squirrels thread since it's relevant to both.

In an interview Will Friedle revealed that part of the reason he hasn't done much on-screen acting since BMW is that he's been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks since his early twenties. It sounds like he's managing it, and was able to film three GMW episodes this season. A fan also posted a youtube video about it and worked to get a hashtag #ProudofWill trending on twitter the night Mr. Squirells aired. I think it's really awesome that he was able to talk about it, and that so many people were willing to share their support.

Cross-posting here and in the Mr. Squirrels thread since it's relevant to both.

In an interview Will Friedle revealed that part of the reason he hasn't done much on-screen acting since BMW is that he's been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks since his early twenties. It sounds like he's managing it, and was able to film three GMW episodes this season. A fan also posted a youtube video about it and worked to get a hashtag #ProudofWill trending on twitter the night Mr. Squirells aired. I think it's really awesome that he was able to talk about it, and that so many people were willing to share their support.

Ah. Definitely. Glad he's back :).

(edited)

Wow. I just came across this article about GMW on Forbes, of all places. It's extremely complimentary. Here's a taste:

Girl Meets World isn’t just “an okay show for what it is” or “the best show on Disney Channel.” Girl Meets World is a legitimately pitch-perfect comedy and might actually be a contender (if not the frontrunner) for the title of best multi-cam sitcom on television.

Read the whole thing here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2015/05/18/girl-meets-world/

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 2

I agree the show recently has become FAR better than before (and than expected) but that article kind of bugged me overall.  It was so vague, so unspecific, about the things the show is doing right.  It talked about specific ideas and plots in a specific week (the 5 episode week of course) but just used them as examples of how jam packed the week of episodes was. 

I mean "specific" as to what the show was doing right would have read something like:

The character of Cory, which was sorely misused in Season 1 has finally seemed to come into his proper use in this show in Season 2.  He's no longer just a comedic prop setting a framework for weekly lessons to his daughter and her classmates, he's back into an actual human being like he was in Boy Meets World. Similarly, although it's not quite as resolved yet, Topanga has also found more of a purpose on Season 2.  The show has also seemingly learned it's lesson with the formerly sicky-sweet overly precocious character of Auggie--who is still all of those things but who's screen time has been reigned in enough to make him tolerable.  The stories have also improved.  They've got the same anviliscous truth bombing structure as Season 1, but that was never really the problem.  The problem was that Season 1 didn't really co-conspire with the audience, with the proper wink and smile, to let us know that THEY know that we know that it's anviliscous. The addition of some "meta" stuff in Season 2 has told us it's alright to moan and groan a little at the truth bombing, and so once done... it IS indeed okay.  And finally there's the core of Riley and Maya.  Maya, played by the supremely talented Sabrina Carpenter was arguably the stand out of Season 1... and she still is.  But the show has started to play to her costar Rowan Blanchard's strengths a bit more and while she's never going to have the sheer magnetism of her co-star, she's developed a more subtle charm that's also now working.

Anyway, that's just me playing mock article writer, but the way they wasted TONS of article space in describing elements of the special week took almost as much space as that.  And if some random reader came along who WASN'T already watching the show read it... told them almost nothing they needed to know.

• Love 5
(edited)

This article on Fanbolt is mostly about what Michael Jacobs said about Shawn and Angela, but there's a little nugget buried in there about Riley and Lucas.

After saying that Shawn and Angela didn't stay together because that's not real, he says

Are they happy? Remains to be seen. Is what becomes of them both satisfying? I believe so because it’s real. It’s what will happen to Riley and Lucas, it’s what will happen in a succession of friendship in this world and it’s why the show’s worth watching.

Maybe a prezzie for those of us who don't see romantic chemistry with them?

Full article here: http://www.fanbolt.com/63286/girl-meets-world-creator-michael-jacobs-teases-shawn-and-angelas-unexpected-reunion-at-atx-festival-2015/

Edited by Gbb

Argh. You can see Angela's horrible horrible hair even clearer in the photo in that piece. My eyes, they burn!

Does this site still employ Wig Cop? I fully expect to hear from Wig Cop in the recap after the episode airs!

• Love 1

Rowan using her platform for good. I'm so happy to see some of these young stars get it so right. Amandla Stienberg is another one but could you guys ever see Miley talking about issues like that? An episode of Zendaya's show a few weeks ago was the first time I ever heard the word feminism on Disney or Nickelodeon.

• Love 1