Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Wanheda (Part 1)

Stinger97

Octavia has been annoying me since last year and this episode continued it but it also helped me figure out why. She's that person who just started something new whether it be a new religion, new diet, new greener lifestyle etc and suddenly it's her whole world. Anyone who doesn't agree with it or has different opnions are wrong.

Yes, this! Octavia doesn't annoy me as much as she seems to annoy some, but she definitely has this going on, and when she goes on about it, she is super annoying. I much prefer when she's just doing her thing. Like riding the horse alongside the truck for patrol. A little trash talking there, but it was much more good-natured than her being all pissy with Lincoln.

And as for Jasper, I'm not a psychologist, so I have no idea what he might need to start on the path to recovery, but I'm quite certain that being sullenly dragged along on diplomatic missions or back to the scene of his trauma is not it.

And I would also like to see Bellamy and Monty experiencing some more ethical anguish over their role in the Mountain massacre. Definitely not fair for Clarke to take on all of it, from herself, from the Grounders, from her own people, from the viewers if it keeps being treated this way. Even if no one else ever actually acknowledges their parts in it, Bellamy and Monty should be aware of and have some reaction to their participation in that action.

And I would also like to see Bellamy and Monty experiencing some more ethical anguish over their role in the Mountain massacre. Definitely not fair for Clarke to take on all of it, from herself, from the Grounders, from her own people, from the viewers if it keeps being treated this way. Even if no one else ever actually acknowledges their parts in it, Bellamy and Monty should be aware of and have some reaction to their participation in that action.

That was my exact problem with S2's ending, especially with Clarke's "I will take their burden".

I hated that sentence, because that is BS and not what happen in real life. People do experience trauma and do live with it. Clarke exiling herself wouldn't help Harper forget that she was drilled multiple times for her bone marrow, wouldn't erase the fact that Monty was the one who made the irradiation possible or that Bellamy helped Clarke pulling that lever.

When S2 ended, I hoped that I was wrong and that the show would allow us to see Monty and Bellamy's feelings about this, but the show decided to drown it in the timejump, and I am a bit disappointed about that. Clarke is a fantastic character, but sometimes I wish the show wouldn't sideline the others when it come to such important matters.

• Love 2

Clarke got some from a Lexa look a like. Yay for her I guess but if htey want to bring on a love interest I can invest in please hire Margarita Levieva. 

Now that Lexa is dead, I fully support this.  She's a badass on Blacklist and gives Tom a beat down from time to time.

So I decided to watch this one episode and ended up binge-watching the season to date. And now I wish I hadn't because I want more.

I admit I was a bit disappointed by the time jump here and by the show diving right into plot. TV doesn't do falling action and I think it's the worse for it. But as far as an establishing episode it's fine.

I have no problem with the Wanheda myth. This is a culture that has an extraordinary mythos built around its Commander and this includes crediting the person who's "in charge" with every victory (and every defeat). To the Grounders, Clark is a Commander so of course she's responsible for their every victory.

So...this was surprisingly a solid start to the season. I actually thoroughly enjoyed most of the episode. 

I didn't think Murphy would ever become a highlight of the episode, but he definitely was. Calling out Jaha's craziness was exactly what I needed to hear. Jaha lost his marbles; I guess A.L.I.E told him how much food Murphy had to survive the 86/89 days, but I'm not really liking how crazy Jaha got last season and now into this one. 

So, I thought I would be fine with Jasper's arc after last season's finale because clearly he cared a lot about Maya and I thought it was natural to grieve. Except, they did a 3 month time jump and Jasper's acting like he just lost someone he's known his entire life. I mean... Jasper knew Maya for two weeks, three weeks tops. His excessive drinking and stupid suicidal behaviour is a little over the top for me. I get being depressed and all that. I don't get Jasper's overdramatic behaviour. Now I hope he pulls it together in the next three episodes because if this attitude goes on all season, I will not be able to stand it. They're going to need to wrap this arc up now...and it's only been one episode. 

Yeah, go Clarke! I loved Clarke this episode. Weird dyed hair aside, her killing that panther was pretty awesome, and she also got to have a night of passion on top of that! I'm very much into rogue Clarke; she's a lot of fun and pretty badass when she doesn't have to lead a hundred people.

I loved the sing a long car ride at the beginning. Seeing the group have a little fun was awesome. The random singing scene at the end with that kid singer was random, but I guess the guy's a fan of the show so they let him do a cameo...so good for him? 

Bellamy gets a girlfriend. I don't hate her, and I don't like her. I do like that he has a girlfriend and can be happy for a while. He really does deserve it.

Poor Raven. I am glad her leg injury is finally brought back up, and I love that they really did keep her injured for all of season 2 and at least part of this season (if they're looking to heal her). 

Octavia...I kind of get her attitude, but it doesn't mean that I have to like it. She lived on the Ark for 17 years, but she was never considered an Ark person. She lived in a room for 16 years, unable to socialize and be a normal kid. So her getting to Earth and finding the Grounders allowed her to find her purpose, to be able to be whoever she wants. So yeah, in that sense, I get if she doesn't feel like she's ever been part of the Ark people. But her attitude toward being all in on being a Grounder while seemingly being disgusted with Arkers and Lincoln for considering it is not appealing. It's not that the Arkers are better than the Grounders, but Octavia is treating the Grounders like they are better, like her own people are inferior. She's part of both worlds, just as Lincoln is now, yet she's treating it like an Us vs Them mentality. 

• Love 1