Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E09: Blood Versus Love

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

OK, this is probably goofy as shit, and is likely the watershed moment of me Turning Into My Mother, but I wondered if there was actually enough oxygen in those boxes towards the end of the challenge.  I looked, and I couldn't see anything that seemed to be filtering in new oxygen, so there had to be a finite amount, right?  That said, I have absolutely no idea how long a box of air should be able to provide oxygen.  

Also, I thought CT said "what am I going to do here" or something like it, in reference to how he was going to deal with the top pole where he couldn't keep a foot on the ground, rather than "what am I doing here" in reference to being at The Challenge at all, but I'm not sure.

• Love 3

Also, I thought CT said "what am I going to do here" or something like it, in reference to how he was going to deal with the top pole where he couldn't keep a foot on the ground, rather than "what am I doing here" in reference to being at The Challenge at all, but I'm not sure.

I took it that way as well.  CT wasn't sure how he was going to manage to get the pole out of the one that was the highest up.  Of course, he's CT so he just jumps up on it and basically yanks it out, but I like that he sat there and went HUH?? for a bit before heading into it and of course....smashing it.  

• Love 2

I thought CT and Zach looked unhappy to be there.  I can't figure out if it was because they had to compete against "nobodies" versus players they've competed with in the past, or if the killer instinct isn't there when there's no money in the effort. 

I didn't really understand the technique used by any of the men in the pit.  They had to have known keeping their legs on the wall was the best method, but they seemed to have a hard time keeping their legs in the air.  I wonder if they could have laid on the bar facing down with their legs braced on the wall.  At the very least, especially on the last two bars, they could have wrapped one knee around the bar, which would take some of the load off their abs, and brace with the free leg.

I appreciate you guys' opinions on CT's transformation, but i still cannot stand the guy. Yeah, he seems calmer now but i cant get over his previous behavior--the aggressiveness--i cannot forgive it.

I like CT, but I will never forget what he did to Adam.  Every one of the people present were terrified of him, and he was a raging nutjob.  The fear was palpable, and you could tell they really thought he would kill Adam.  There's just no excuse, and his brother's death is irrelevant to me. I really think CT should have gone to jail, and Adam should have filed charges.  MTV has a no violence policy, but they still indulge these violent guys.  When Diem was taken to the hospital on her last challenge, CT was out of control again.  So they called Diem and had her calm him down.  They.called.Diem.  We now know she was literally dying at that point, and she has to worry about this BS.  They did the same thing on the After Show with Abram.  He was raging and promising violence, so they gave in to his tantrum, and put him in the room with Cara - who was visibly shaken, if not frightened.  It just reinforced for me that this show is about the guys, and the women (or "girls") are interchangeable and disposable.

OK, this is probably goofy as shit, and is likely the watershed moment of me Turning Into My Mother, but I wondered if there was actually enough oxygen in those boxes towards the end of the challenge.  I looked, and I couldn't see anything that seemed to be filtering in new oxygen, so there had to be a finite amount, right?  That said, I have absolutely no idea how long a box of air should be able to provide oxygen.  

Not goofy at all, I had the same thought - right down to saying the oxygen supply in that box was finite.  It also would have increasing levels of carbon dioxide.  It's also pretty abnormal to hold your breath while exerting yourself.  Add in that anyone who's claustrophobic, a weak swimmer, has a fear of drowning, or an irrational fear of being attacked by a shark (me), would have a higher oxygen demand due to anxiety, as well as the exercise itself.

I think they did say that the boxes were about 7 feet deep, or at least the first one was.  I wasn't sure if the rest got deeper or not.  I believe the one guy who was having trouble breathing in the box - it was probably because of the water pressure pushing on his chest.  It's not a feeling most people are used to, and even people who can swim don't necessarily swim down deep.  I can swim and am reasonably comfortable in the water, but I get claustrophobic and I'm not sure I could have stayed in the box.  I did think the pictures of Abe and John in the box next to each other were pretty funny.

I think part of the challenge was trying to get to the first box.  Most of us have practiced diving straight down, but having to advance laterally at the same time would be hard.  You would be fighting the pull to the surface.

I also enjoyed seeing Abram and Johnny together, as well as Abram's comment that they were like Navy Seals (as if).

• Love 2

I was also trying to figure out how they would get the entire team across with only about 2 cubic feet of oxygen. Besides, wouldn't the cage float to the surface? Something must have been weighing the boxes down and possibly regulating the oxygen level. I don't recall exactly how they rigged that but I can't be bothered to rewatch any episode of this show. I wish they told us what magic they used to put this thing together. It's the most exciting thing to happen to The Challenge in years.

MTV's violence policy is a joke that conveniently disappears based on favoritism and/or dramatics. And I'm sick of the "don't throw a punch" policy. Raging assholes like Zac and Camilla keep coming back because they didn't physically hurt someone, even though they literally tear the house apart. I think Tony's behavior in the first episode should have sent him home, would have saved him a spleen in the end.

• Love 2

I was also trying to figure out how they would get the entire team across with only about 2 cubic feet of oxygen. Besides, wouldn't the cage float to the surface? Something must have been weighing the boxes down and possibly regulating the oxygen level. I don't recall exactly how they rigged that but I can't be bothered to rewatch any episode of this show. I wish they told us what magic they used to put this thing together. It's the most exciting thing to happen to The Challenge in years.

MTV's violence policy is a joke that conveniently disappears based on favoritism and/or dramatics. And I'm sick of the "don't throw a punch" policy. Raging assholes like Zac and Camilla keep coming back because they didn't physically hurt someone, even though they literally tear the house apart. I think Tony's behavior in the first episode should have sent him home, would have saved him a spleen in the end.

It looked like they had cables attached to the boxes which held them down. I'm not sure about the air supply.

I would love to see a behind-the-scenes show about how they set up the equipment for the challenges, the contestants interactions with crew members, the crew performing run throughs of challenges to check if they're possible and how difficult they are, and even brainstorming sessions where production comes up with a challenge.

• Love 4

It looked like they had cables attached to the boxes which held them down. I'm not sure about the air supply.

I would love to see a behind-the-scenes show about how they set up the equipment for the challenges, the contestants interactions with crew members, the crew performing run throughs of challenges to check if they're possible and how difficult they are, and even brainstorming sessions where production comes up with a challenge.

I would love something like this instead of the BS "after show" they had on last night.  

• Love 3

Thanks! I caught that again during the "previously on" clip in last night's episode. I still can't figure out how that worked. I second some behind the scenes footage of the stunt crew. Maybe they could throw it in with the "shit they didn't show" special.

I think once they did show briefly how some of the challenges were set up. Maybe it was even during this season?

I seem to vaguely recall something about some kind of spider not being used although they paid a great deal for

it? Would love to see more of that & maybe some of the stunt coordinators (or whatever they're called) do a run

through on these challenges they've set up.

On the shit they didn't show: not sure I want to see that for this season. With all that happened with Abe, Cara &
Thomas I really don't want to see any more of that. Unless, of course, they go for fun stuff, they would be cool.

For the most part none of the challengers have looked like they've been having such a great time this season.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1

I think once they did show briefly how some of the challenges were set up. Maybe it was even during this season?

I seem to vagule recall something about some kind of spider not being used although they paid a great deal for

it? Would love to see more of that & maybe some of the stunt coordinators (or whatever they're called) do a run

through on these challenges they've set up.

On the shit they didn't show: not sure I want to see that for this season. With all that happened with Abe, Cara &

Thomas I really don't want to see any more of that. Unless, of course, they go for fun stuff, they would be cool.

For the most part none of the challengers have looked like they've been having such a great time this season.

There was a clip in the first aftershow about the bug eating challenge.  Originally they had tarantulas to put in the box instead of a snake, but nobody wanted to be the guinea pig to test it out.  One of the producers finally asked the spider handler what would happen if they were bit more than once, and he said, "you'll die."  Then they ordered the snakes instead.

• Love 1