Type keyword(s) to search

Letterman to retire in 2015

The writing was on the wall that Colbert was the lead person and eventual replacement after hearing nearly the other candidates dropped out or took other gigs. Now, this quote I find fascinating:

Via @TVMoJoe

CBS Ent. boss Nina Tassler on report that Chelsea Handler was in talks w/ CBS: "I have no knowledge of that. And you'd think I would."

Someone wanted the spotlight badly and could be the odd person out.

Edited by thispersonstinks

Woo! Man Colbert is going to destroy the Jimmy's.

I'm praying for it.  Both of those guys irritate me in certain ways.

Speculation:  I bet Fox may get on the Talk Show path too and try to launch one now.  The time will be ripe because there's going to be a lot of chaos.

• Love 1

I don't understand this line of thinking. Meyers and Fallon have gotten upswings in the ratings since they started their shows, Kimmel has settled in comfortably, Colbert will be taking over Letterman, Fergeson is doing well.

It's completely my own opinion. Like I said I think it will be a slow death, but then again, I believe most of the way we view tv Is going to change eventually. I occasionally substitute & between that & listening to the teens my kids hang out with I hear them being quite dismissive of certain types of programming & the rigid structure of traditional tv. I remember as a kid being excited about being old enough to watch the late night talk shows & I don't see any kids really caring about the concept. Then again, as I said just my option, two cents, anecdotal, etc.

The writing was on the wall that Colbert was the lead person and eventual replacement after hearing nearly the other candidates dropped out or took other gigs. Now, this quote I find fascinating:

Via @TVMoJoe

CBS Ent. boss Nina Tassler on report that Chelsea Handler was in talks w/ CBS: "I have no knowledge of that. And you'd think I would."

Someone wanted the spotlight badly and could be the odd person out.

Oh, thanks goodness!  I'm ashamed to be of the same gender as Handler.  She needs to stay far, far away from this whole situation. 

I wonder what Paul will do?

Seriously, he has been such a wonderful fixture of the show for decades; it seems the perfect role for him. I hope he finds some equally high-profile role for himself, whether on television or some other medium.

• Love 1

I wonder what Paul will do?

Seriously, he has been such a wonderful fixture of the show for decades; it seems the perfect role for him. I hope he finds some equally high-profile role for himself, whether on television or some other medium.

Paul may just be ready for retirement himself.  But if he isn't?  Even through his Letterman years he had the ability and pull to periodically perform as a band-leader at large for other gigs (like on Award shows or special charity events). There are only a limited number of dedicated band gigs on TV (talk shows, the musical competition shows, the dancing shows), so those probably won't be open, but he won't be out of work.  I imagine if he wanted to he could easily put together a touring band, for example.  He probably could work Vegas backing a big celeb singer (although I suppose the ones already in gigs there are committed to their current bands).  Stuff like that though.

I imagine if he wanted to he could easily put together a touring band, for example.

That makes sense. "The Paul Shaffer Late Show Band Revue." Maybe like a touring variety show more than just a band. I'd probably go see it!

That Colbert interview on Letterman this week made me nervous.  I love him "in character" but I'm not so sure this is going to work out.

Do you mean overall, or just in terms of your own taste?

(please note this is not questioning your taste, in the least, I'm just wondering if you mean that as an overall evaluation or a personal one)