Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Project Reborn

MarkHB

Wasn't it revealed in the original heroes that syler is Nathan and peters brother? Which would make him clairs uncle... so either there's something gross going on or he isn't the dad. But I'm pretty sure it turned out he is her uncle

No. Angela Petrelli told him that she was his mother but she really wasn't. It was just so that she could use him. It did, however, lead to the awesome episode where HRG and Sylar were doing the buddy-cop thing. By the end of the season, Sylar learned that he really wasn't a Petrelli and Angela had lied the whole time. But then when Nathan died, they had Matt force Sylar into being Nathan with his shapeshifting ability and whatnot, which leads to a different level of squick if you think too much about it. I mean, he went back to being Sylar by the end of the series but he still pretended to be her bio-father for awhile. 

I don't know. I'd believe Peter, her actual uncle, being the father before I'd believe Sylar. Mainly because of the whole slicing her head open and being Nathan for awhile.

• Love 1

I just did some digging; it turned out that Arthur and Angela were just manipulating Sylar.  His real parents were Samson Gray (John Glover) and an unnamed woman who Samson killed after he sold Sylar to his brother.

I didn't LOVE this season, but found it watchable at least. Well, before the break. After the break what little good there was in it fell apart completely.  A question I've always had about the original Heroes came back again watching this: Does Kring not have the ability to stand up to network meddling? Or is *he* bananas and refuses to listen to voices of reason?  It starts off so good and then withers under its own weight. Does he not know how to finish stuff? Or does some NBC suit stand over his shoulder and say stupid things like "What if they kiss?"

Also. I just saw Star Wars:TFA and

when I saw Matt Parkman as an extra, I was very concerned he was going to somehow fuck up A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Away too, not just here and now.

I was kind of disappointed when I heard the show wasn't being renewed because at that time I hadn't been totally turned off, but by the time I finished, I was like "OH THANK THE SEVEN."  If it had been continued, I wouldn't have been strong enough to stop watching and I'd have hated every second.

So, had this gotten another season, it would have been about Nathan and Malina's father, who I guess is an evil Evo. 

The Evil Evos tour with the Cleavage of Evil.  It's a fun night of Goth Rock.

Also. I just saw Star Wars:TFA and

when I saw Matt Parkman as an extra, I was very concerned he was going to somehow fuck up A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Away too, not just here and now.

Greg Grundberg, the actor who plays Parkman, is apparently besties with J.J. Abrams, and so gets cameos in a lot of his projects.

I guess I never really thought about this "reboot" being all about the past seasons/character, but more about propelling the story forward and introducing us to new characters and situations.  It did that for me.  I am now invested in the new characters.  So more of a continuation than a reboot. They brought in some of the old faces to help draw the prior audience, but it wasn't really about them.  It's about the new characters.

I think there could have been a way of introducing the new characters without systematically destroying or killing off the old characters outright. There are better ways of moving the story forward, certainly, which it seems these writers never discovered. If you managed to become invested in the new characters, that's a good thing. But I wouldn't get too attached to them. If the show ever were to come back for another season (which is not happening now, I guess) there would be nothing to stop the writers from wrecking them or killing them off, too.

Wow. I had completely forgotten about that. Or was it ever re-retconned?

I think Sylar was discovered not to be Peter and Nathan's half-brother, after all. But I'll be damned if I remember how the retcon was undone. Re-retconned. Un-conned. Whatever. (Edited to add: MarkHB and Callaphera sorted it out so I don't have to! Yay.)

I remember Arthur being a scumbag and I remember hating Nathan In the first season until Nathan wised up near the end of the season. Hell I remember only liking Peter of the Petreills that first season.

Mostly what I remember about Arthur Petrelli was that he was a scumbag played by a truly atrocious actor. I think Papa Petrelli was supposed to be terrifying, but I found Robert Forster unwatchable -- in a show, mind you, not notable for its stellar acting. (Why, oh, WHY did Tarantino have to revive that old bore's career? It clearly died for a reason.)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

But I wouldn't get too attached to them. If the show ever were to back for another season (which is not happening now, I guess) there would be nothing to stop the writers from wrecking them or killing them off, too.

We would get a bunch of new bland, uninteresting characters while this batch gets screwed over again and again.

• Love 1

I had to laugh when Kring ended with a cliffhanger.  Seriously?  He thought he would get another "volume"?  What happened to the "plan" of starting over from scratch every season with new characters?  He was probably bored to death writing for Tommy, Malina and those other ones he forgot existed for half the "finale".

What exactly was the point of Carlos et al.?  To be the hospital staff while fireballs were raining down?  

It was tacky and boring to force us to watch clips from earlier this season.  Wasn't it enough of an ordeal for us to watch that dreck once?   Ooh, video footage of Hiro and Claire totally makes it seem like they were actually in this episode... not.

Of course dumbass Tommy had no idea what to do.  He had to go "be right back" a dozen times while his sister was almost dying doing whatever the hell she was doing.  

What a satisfying conclusion for Phoebe.  Such a reward for watching the webisodes.  

Erica's demise should have been way worse.  I too thought Tommy would have to use her as the "conduit" but then again, we can't have him be a murderer.  The easiest route would have been for Zach Levi's character to offer himself as the sacrifice the season finale demanded.

That's the danger of reunions.  Writers itching to kill off the originals.  I'm sure HRG would have come back alive if they had continued the series.

So glad I will never have to hear words like "Renaultus", "HELE", "Gateway", or "Evernow" ever again. 

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4

I had to laugh when Kring ended with a cliffhanger.  Seriously?  He thought he would get another "volume"?  What happened to the "plan" of starting over from scratch every season with new characters?  He was probably bored to death writing for Tommy, Malina and those other ones he forgot existed for half the "finale".

They would probably drop in more new characters or something.

Do you think they could have made the new characters even less interesting than the ones we had here? That kind of badness takes hard work.

Yes, in a way, Reborn was even worse as it magnified the problems of the original series while adding a few more of its own.  That and it had no excuse of a Writers Strike and had plenty of time to come up with something half decent and failed miserably.

• Love 1

It seems to me that the first season of the show was the most thoroughly planned. Just going by what I saw on screen, I would say there had to have been an extensive show bible for the first season, and maybe there was one for Season 2 that had to be scrapped because of the writers' strike that year. Season 1 was far from perfect, but I remember its having the fewest plotholes of any season. I doubt extremely that there was ever a show bible for any season after that, including for Heroes Reborn, or at least not a show bible that was worked out with any thoroughness. If you're building a show that includes stories about time-travel, precognition, capital-F Fate, or other ways of knowing the truth about future events, including, I would say, knowledge of the hearts and minds of others by such means as telepathy, you need to work out the details, all of the details, precisely, thoroughly, and with iron-bound logic.

It became increasingly clear to me that the writers of Heroes Reborn just plain did not care about whether or not the plot grew naturally out of the characters, whether the characters' motivations were consistent, or, indeed, whether the twists and turns of the plot made anything like sense.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

It seems to me that the first season of the show was the most thoroughly planned. Just going by what I saw on screen, I would say there had to have been an extensive show bible for the first season, and maybe there was one for Season 2 that had to be scrapped because of the writers' strike that year. Season 1 was far from perfect, but I remember its having the fewest plotholes of any season. I doubt extremely that there was ever a show bible for any season after that, including for Heroes Reborn, or at least not a show bible that was worked out with any thoroughness. If you're building a show that includes stories about time-travel, precognition, capital-F Fate, or other ways of knowing the truth about future events, including, I would say, knowledge of the hearts and minds of others by such means as telepathy, you need to work out the details, all of the details, precisely, thoroughly, and with iron-bound logic.

It became increasingly clear to me that the writers of Heroes Reborn just plain did not care about whether or not the plot grew naturally out of the characters, whether the characters' motivations were consistent, or, indeed, whether the twists and turns of the plot made anything like sense.

S1 was definitely better thought out, whereas the subsequent seasons, especially Reborn was a convoluted mess.  It seems like they had nothing else after 1 season's worth of material.

S1 was definitely better thought out, whereas the subsequent seasons, especially Reborn was a convoluted mess. It seems like they had nothing else after 1 season's worth of material.

Well, the plan was in S2 was to follow a new group of people discovering their powers with a few of the originals popping up but, fans loved the originals so much that plans got changed.

Well, the plan was in S2 was to follow a new group of people discovering their powers with a few of the originals popping up but, fans loved the originals so much that plans got changed.

Even so, they had a new cast of characters for Reborn so even if they stuck to their plans, it would've still been a mess.

• Love 2

Yes, this reboot showed that a new cast would not have made Season 2 any better.  You could also see from this reboot that they had trouble finding new ideas with people discovering their powers... they were repeating what they had done before.