Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Codominance

Snarkette

It's road-trip time for Scott, Stiles, and Roscoe to go bring Kira back into the pack in what can only be described as the opposite of an action-filled episode, where nothing happens, people gab a lot, Lydia is completely passive, and viewing numbers drop for yet another week.

No Gerard.

• Love 2

actually quite a bit happened but the highlight was Stiles and Scott finally really talking while tracking down Kira and getting back the trust. It was great when Scott just told Stiles he knew it was self defense and that if they'd just kept talking for just 5 more minutes at the big fight they'd have figured out how much they were being played by Theo. I'm just sorry Malia stopped with just breaking his arm.

Also hello Corey!! He and Mason make a cute couple and I'm really hoping Corey will switch allegiances and join Scott's pack.

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 1

I really liked the entire Theo/Tracy sequence. That was fun. But Scott and Stiles didn't move me. I bet Stiles and the Sheriff on the same drive, I'd have been in tears.

I'm also glad that Lydia got her canary cry even if she didn't "earn" it. And at the end Kira did all that Skinwalker initiation stuff and still isn't in control of anything. (I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up and ate the Desert Wolf though. Pointless casting otherwise.)

Everything with Deucalion being revealed essentially happened off-screen so they could do the "pop" at the end. Hayden and Liam were basically a stick and moss -- they could have really sold the whole "I do this or I die, and I can't leave my sister alone" thing with so much more weight, acting, scripting. That should have been a powerful moment and instead it came across like a laxative commercial.

Hayden and Liam were basically a stick and moss

TM AudienceofOne

Also, Hayden's argument that her sister couldn't handle her dying and that's why she should be on the side of the people trying to kill everybody - including her sister - made even less sense this week than last week. Mason's "why be alive when you're left alone with the bad guys" argument made way more sense than Liam's cow eyes. But that's just me. Their scenes remain yawnworthy, mostly because she is, as aforementioned, a lump of wood.

This show needed a good Scott/Stiles moment. It's just a shame it was during a road trip; the narrative equivalent of a soporific.

But overall, it was pretty enjoyable.

• Love 2

I liked the episode. I didn't understand the whole point of going to the skinwalkers. They didn't help at all and their ultimatums were ridiculous. What was Noshiko thinking? Why isn't Kira making any effort to figure this thing out on her own?

I'm really glad that Stiles was finally comfortable enough to tell Scott what happened and that Scott was able to receive it in the right way. But I'm still not clear on why he thought that based on what we know about Scott's character. He has endless amounts of forgiveness for people who don't deserve it. I'm sure he would understand you defending yourself Stiles. I'm also glad that he called Scott out on not forgiving Liam. He's a part of your pack too. And please get him away from that bad romance. More on that later.

Another person he forgave and didn't kill will be returning. He really needs to start killing these threats. It makes him look like even more of an idiot when they regroup and try to kill everyone. Again.

Oh and shut up Theo. I don't think I've ever disliked a character this much since Tess on Roswell. Why would anyone still listen to anything he says? Malia continues to be an idiot. What did listening to him before get you Malia?

And don't even get me started on his pack of chimera idiots. Satan brought you back to life so you'll just do whatever he says? That's your argument? I wanna live. That's reason enough to be a bad guy? I also feel like they all suffered a personality change after being resurrected especially Tracy. I was praying that either she or Theo or hell both of them would get murdered in that hallway.

Hayden and Theo continue to be a snooze fest. There's nothing there. They don't have enough chemistry to care about. Which sucks because I really like Liam but I feel like they stuck him in this stupid romance and now I fast forward a lot of his scenes.

• Love 1

Kira's test in the desert was so annoying.  Hey, you cut the bad guy and got the exact same wound on your own body, maybe try something different instead of getting wounded two more times in exactly the same way?  Idiot.  Other than potentially getting another adversary (skinwalkers come to kill Kira), that whole diversion seemed pointless.  Also, Kira says to Scott, "You came back for me!" cue troo-luv kissy scene.  What?  Kira left him.

The shot compositing with Stiles and Scott in the Jeep which was obviously on a sound stage were distractingly bad.  I kept thinking of the SNL "Toonces the Driving Cat" skits.  And the less they show of CGI Beast the better.

Theo seemed to be getting turned on by Malia beating the crap out of him.  I feared for a moment that they'd kiss.  I'm glad that they didn't go that route, but I have no idea how he'll be able to help her just because he knows how the DD found their test subjects.

Lydia's banshee lessons are boring.  We know how this is going to end, so it isn't holding my interest.  I think the flash-forward scenes they showed in 5.01 and 5.11 were a narrative mistake.

I loved Stile's line about Liam:  "If you're gonna get the band back together, you can't leave out the drummer."

Also hello Corey!! He and Mason make a cute couple and I'm really hoping Corey will switch allegiances and join Scott's pack.

Gratuitous shirtless hot guy, I love this show.  Though it did send me scrambling to Google to see how old the actor is (19, so I don't feel like a complete perv, only moderately pervy).

I don't completely understand his character though.  He's Invisiboy, scared of his own shadow, the most timid of Theo's pack.  Yet with Mason he's very aggressive.

• Love 2

Agreed, this was really badly paced.

I liked that Scott and Stiles road tripped and talked, I liked that Malia beat the stuffing out of Theo, and I liked that for once a teenager with his shirt off looked like a high schooler.

I hated that Noshiko thought that it was critical that Kira learn how to control her fox or else she should get left with the skin walkers, and then Kira apparently isn't in control of her fox (not like they actually tried teaching her anything?) and Noshiko decides she should escape the skin walkers. Whuh?

I only hope that Deucalion is interesting next week.

• Love 1

Gratuitous shirtless hot guy, I love this show.  Though it did send me scrambling to Google to see how old the actor is (19, so I don't feel like a complete perv, only moderately pervy).

Michael Johnston is 19, Khylin Rhambo is 20.  Which relieved me, because Corey could actually pass as a younger teen, and that scene made me uncomfortable.

Also, I don't care about the rest of the episode, all I care about is that Tamlyn Tomita is amazing.  I would watch the hell out of an episode where she, Melissa, the Sheriff, and Lydia's mom sat around comparing notes.

I have no idea what is going on with the story-line/plot.  I am completely clueless (for the most part) when I watch.  Everything seems so disjointed and convoluted.

Why is Lydia in a coma again?  Was that Dr in Eichen House bad?  Is he the one that Scott/Stiles was referring to as a doctor that was brought back by the dread doctors?

Why do the dread doctors help Theo?  

As with last week...this episode spent a lot of time talking about something that would make a far more interesting storyline that the one we are seeing right now. That story being that there is an actual purpose and consequence to Stiles's accidental (even self-defense feels like inaccurate phrasing) killing of Donovan. Last week the Sheriff said he'd destroy evidence to protect Stiles for being wrongfully convicted for murder and Scott expressed regret that after all their violent battles it's the non-fighting human member of the gang who has to deal with blood on their hands. If the gang didn't have stupid Beasts, stupid Dread Doctors and stupid Theo to deal with then there could've been a great storyline with Stiles getting arrested for suspected murder - just to see The Sheriff and Scott struggle with how to save Stiles from a prison sentence while still trying to keep the supernatural a secret.

Well, actually I always thought that would've been an interesting story to do post S-3B. This season, it really no sense to me that Stiles is so traumatized over the accidental death of one monster who was trying to eat him. Yet we never saw him traumatized and wracked with guilt over his Nogistune possession which resulted in many people being killed, including his friend Alison. Priorities seem a bit warped, don't they?      

Let me know if anyone has ever done a (non-Sterek) fanfiction version of this story. 

Edited by Yitzhak
  • Love 2

Not a total waste of an episode. Scott and Stiles talked something out. It was a pleasant deviation from the show’s usual MO of brushing everything under the carpet or letting it happen “off-screen” (which the viewer can usually only surmise by the change in relationships, but, hey, that’s what fanfiction is for).

However, why are Scott and Stiles off to rescue Kira, who is after all with her badass mom, a 900-year-old kitsune with a sword? They could be trying to save Malia from doing something stupid or – here’s a thought – rescue Lydia who's in EICHEN HOUSE, a place they know is full of murderous nutcases and that’s just the staff. And also Scott is once again leaving a real threat and the possibility of a lot of deaths for his personal agenda. Yes, I know he’s a teenager yadda yadda (and only people you’ve been boning or want to bone are worth rescuing on this show) but please don’t try to tell us that he’s this morally superior True Alpha at the same time. It’s one or the other.

Other than that, I wish Hayden and Liam would ride off into the sunset together already – and stay there. I don’t like Theo (and fear that he’ll be around for a long, long time) but I must say he’s actually doing what Scott should be doing: trying to find out what’s going on.

Hated:
Everything in Beacon Hills was the usual bore fest.
The beast is laughably cartoonish.
Malia and Theo’s fight. Looks like I'm not the only one who kept expecting them to start kissing, because on Teen Wolf physical abuse always leads to romance, doesn’t it?
Lydia! Can we please write her out? She’s boring as hell.

Bits that I liked:
Kira basically speaking for everyone when she summarized how stupid the whole trial thing was.
Stiles paying for the fuel through the locked door. He is definitely a sheriff’s son.
Michelle Clunie because she’s a personal favorite of mine.
Theo’s one saving grace: his evil smirk. Priceless.
Roscoe! Take that, Toyota!

Funniest bit:
Scott rolling out of the jeep. He should get a prize for the cheesiest entrance.

Edited by beee
  • Love 1

One of the characters (I forget who, they blend together) mentioned that The Beast was probably another teen the Doctors had worked on who doesn't even realize he turns into a monster at night.  So, Mason?  Or another generically handsome Express-for-Men underwear model?  I can't remember if Mason has ever been in the same scene with The Beast, or otherwise involved in a different scene that was going on simultaneously.

• Love 1
Or another generically handsome Express-for-Men underwear model?

I vote for this.

I don't think Mason has been thoroughly disqualified but if he's going to be "human anchor" for Pack V2, it's unlikely unless he can get "better" like Stiles did.

Mason's "why be alive when you're left alone with the bad guys" argument made way more sense than Liam's cow eyes.

It was good until "I'd be one of the bad guys." "Well, OK, then!" Smooch!  Ugh!!!

• Love 1