Type keyword(s) to search

Media Things

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, dannymoon said:

Nancy and Jonathan – was it mentioned in the show if they were juniors or seniors in high school?  I don't remember much college talk so I assumed juniors, and then it would be easier storywise for those characters to return as well.  

I don't recall them saying how old either were, but my impression regarding Nancy was that she was only 15 or 16. Perhaps because Natalia Dyer is so slight , and looks so young. At first I actually thought she was only a year or two older than the four boys.

Jonathan had a job, so presumably he's at least 16. He and Steve could both passably be anything from 16 to 18.

On this week's episode of IMAGINARY MARY, there was a STRANGER THINGS reference. The title character is banished to a dark place with water on the ground and she calls out for Alice and then "Barb" (there is no Barb in the show).

• Love 2
(edited)

Emmy nominations:

Drama Series

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - David Harbour

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Millie Bobby Brown

Guest Actress in a Drama Series - Shannon Purser

Directing for a Drama Series - The Duffer Brothers ("The Vanishing of Will Byers")

Writing for a Drama Series - The Duffer Brothers

Production Design for a Narrative Period Program (One Hour or More) - Chris Trujillo, William Davis & Jess Royal

Casting for a Drama Series - Carmena Cuba, Tara Feldstein Bennett & Chase Paris

Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series (One Hour) - Tim Ives

Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series - Dean Zimmerman

Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series - Kevin D. Ross

Hairstyling for a Single-Camera Series - Sarah Hindsgaul & Evelyn Roach

Creative Achievement in Interactive Media Within a Scripted Program  - Netflix & CBS Digital (“Stranger Things VR Experience”)

OUTSTANDING MAIN TITLE DESIGN

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A SINGLE-CAMERA SERIES (NON-PROSTHETIC)

OUTSTANDING ORIGINAL MAIN TITLE THEME MUSIC

OUTSTANDING SOUND EDITING FOR A SERIES

OUTSTANDING SOUND MIXING FOR A COMEDY OR DRAMA SERIES (ONE HOUR)

OUTSTANDING MUSIC SUPERVISION

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I was so shocked seeing Shannon Purser's name today. I said to myself, wait... is that Barb?!   She must be flipping out. Happy for her....I don't think she stands a chance, but it's still pretty cool being in that category with all those actresses.

(edited)
On 7/13/2017 at 9:46 PM, Valny said:

I was so shocked seeing Shannon Purser's name today. I said to myself, wait... is that Barb?!   She must be flipping out. Happy for her....I don't think she stands a chance, but it's still pretty cool being in that category with all those actresses.

My thoughts exactly. Barb was a plot point in order to get Nancy involved in the main storyline. I never in a million years thought she'd get nominated (of course, I didn't think the ST cast would win the SAG award for best ensemble, so what the hell do I know). I think Shannon's performance elevated an otherwise thankless role. She has some STIFF competition in her category. I'm thrilled for her. She seems so lovely and thankful for everything.

Millie was no surprise. She deserves her nom too. I hope to hell that her family is keeping her grounded, because this kind of early success can change a kid's life for better or worse.

Hairstyling deserves the win for Barb's hair alone, closely followed by Karen's (Mike's mom).

Edited by EarlGreyTea
On 6/29/2017 at 1:45 PM, VCRTracking said:

Millie Bobby Brown & Evan Rachel Wood - Actors on Actors (Full Video):

I think it's pretty cool to watch them interview with each other, because Evan Rachel Wood's career at 13/14 was pretty similar to what Millie Bobby Brown has now- becoming on everybody's radar on an acclaimed drama series in a role that isn't a typical junior high kind of role. Although Stranger Things is much more of a phenom than Once and Again ever was.

Millie Bobby Brown, Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp, David Harbour, producer Shawn Levy, and the Duffer brothers at Netflix FYSEE on June 6, 2017 (right after S2 filming finished):

Millie Bobby Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Noah Schnapp, Natalia Dyer, Finn Wolfhard & Caleb McLaughlin on Build:

David Harbour on Build:

Caleb McLaughlin, Millie Bobby Brown, and Gaten Matarazzo sing Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars at the Emmys - my favorite thing about this is that it looks exactly like what any regular 12-14 year old kids (a tiny bit choreographed but mostly just goofing around and having fun):

Lip Sync Battle:
Caleb McLaughlin - "I'm Bad" by LL Cool J

Finn Wolfhard - Buddy Holly by Weezer:

Noah Schnapp - Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5:

Gaten Matarazzo - 50 Ways to Say Goodbye by Train

Caleb McLaughlin, Millie Bobby Brown, and Gaten Matarazzo decorate waffles and answer questions about each other:

Caleb McLaughlin, Millie Bobby Brown, and Gaten Matarazzo review retro toys:

That trailer is legitimately scarier than anything the Walking Dead or others of its ilk are selling in theirs.  It just looks fantastic from start to finish.

And Thriller!  If you ever want to really feel old, try explaining that phenomenon to your kids born in the 2000s.

• Love 2
(edited)

The trailer is amazing! I really can't wait for season 2.

12 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Wow that could be really awesome. Really liked the focus on Will which could really add a freshness to Season 2.

I agree, I love that it is going to follow with Will, as that is a major cliffhanger at the end of season 1.

The comic con panel :).

Edited by blueray
10 hours ago, blueray said:

The trailer is amazing! I really can't wait for season 2.

I agree, I love that it is going to follow with Will, as that is a major cliffhanger at the end of season 

Will was basically  a plot point in season 1, so it will be cool to actually develop him as a character.

• Love 2

I had to watch it twice because DRAGON'S LAIR!!!!  I used to play that all the time - would stack up $10 worth of quarters at a time.

The season looks really good.

• Love 2
On 7/24/2017 at 8:09 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

So if the young kids are Ghostbusters for Halloween I wonder what othet costumes we will see, like with Nancy and her friends.

Also that funky baseline for Thriller is awesome.

Nancy and Jonathan don't strike me as costume types. I could be wrong, though.

On 26/07/2017 at 5:35 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Nancy and Jonathan don't strike me as costume types. I could be wrong, though.

Steve Harrington is one hundred percent a costume guy, though. In the trailer, he's definitely going for Risky Business era Tom Cruise. If he dresses up, I reckon Nancy would get into the spirit of things... until their seemingly inevitable breakup, that is.

But yeah, Jonathan is not a cosplay guy, I shouldn't think.

The trailer is fantastic. Just the right mix of nostalgia and excitement for new stuff. I still don't know how much of a protagonist Will is going to be, versus being a plot device again, but I don't really mind. I just want more of Eleven and the boys, of Jonathan and Nancy and Hopper. But Dragon's Lair, Thriller, the Reagan/Bush election placards, Ghostbusters. Man, this show is nailing it with the period references.

• Love 3
On 28/07/2017 at 8:04 PM, Danny Franks said:

Steve Harrington is one hundred percent a costume guy, though. In the trailer, he's definitely going for Risky Business era Tom Cruise. If he dresses up, I reckon Nancy would get into the spirit of things... until their seemingly inevitable breakup, that is.

But yeah, Jonathan is not a cosplay guy, I shouldn't think.

That's sort of what i was thinking. I thought Steve was in costume, and i could see how if Nancy was all in, or pretending to be, for their relationship  she might dress up too.

Spoiler

New character poster for Dacre Montgomery's character:

stranger-things-season-2-poster-billy.jp

Holy shit, they made look like an evil hot version of Jason Patric's character from The Lost Boys.

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler because it's being heavily promoted, but I spoiler tagged it just in case.

Stranger Things came away from the Emmys' creative arts ceremony with five statuettes:

• Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series
  • Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series
  • Outstanding Main Title Design
  • Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series
  • Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music

I'm most pleased about the casting award.  That was deserved for finding all those great kids.

• Love 3
On 9/10/2017 at 8:01 PM, SeanC said:

Stranger Things came away from the Emmys' creative arts ceremony with five statuettes:

• Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series
  • Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series
  • Outstanding Main Title Design
  • Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series
  • Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music

I'm most pleased about the casting award.  That was deserved for finding all those great kids.

Just wanted to add a few more details about two of the wins:

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series - Dean Zimmerman (Episode: "Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers")
Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series - Episode: "Chapter Eight: The Upside Down"

They are all going to grow up someday. They are not going be 13 forever. That puberty stuff happened even in B&W films. What use to be cute kids would soon become awkward teens. The only actors that didn't have awkwardness that plagues most kid stars are the late River Phoenix, Mark Paul-Gosselaar, Mario Lopez, and Jackie Cooper. What made them not afraid is their confidence, even as they aged. Hollywood is funny like that. If you awkward, Hollywood says screw you to your face. If you have confidence, everything will be fine.

Edited by Robert Lynch
23 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

Language warning, folks!

People do really, really dumb shit in their 20's.

Jonathan would be an extremely easy character to write off. They never specified his grade the way they did with Steve (who was class of '85) and Nancy (who's class of '86 apparently) but they could just say he graduated with Steve and went off to college. If the third season starts in summer '85 (which is my guess) they can just say he went to summer session.