Type keyword(s) to search

Wishlist: Hoping for a Cure (Or Not)

• Start Topic

What's messed up is that I was reminiscing and rewatching the AJ returns saga, and a video had the opening credit part where the writing staff was up.  Jean Passante was a part of the show then.  She has no excuse to not know what the hell she's writing about.  She knows something because she literally was a part of the episode where Michael confronted Carly about the beginning of AJ vs Carly/Sonny/Jason.  Or was she writing Twilight fan fic?  Or am I confused and this is the wrong Jean in the toxic Jelly on the show now?

I think the problem is that our wishlist is too big.  We need to start small.  Let's aim for better haircuts, a few stories not involving Sonny, an actual explanation for something that's not "reasons, Helena", and sets that aren't gray.  Then we can get a story for Lucas that doesn't involve his sexual preference, Julian propping, or fixing the latest gun shot wound.  Maybe Michael can get a story not involved with Kiki, Morgan, kissing Carson's asses.  Lulu can not have baby rabies.  Then we kill Franco. 

• Love 2

A Franco "Who Dunnit" would be great.  I like Roger Howarth, but this is literally the worst I've seen him.   Plus, I like drawn out who dunnits on soaps when literally everyone is a suspect.  Those are the best ones, but they'd need to make the murderer someone on contract, like Nina or Nathan so we could get rid of two clunkers at once.  Or just make Nina and Nathan brother/sister murderers.  I don't care.  If they aren't pairing Sonny/Nina, then what's the point of MSt?

I'd be fine with a Franco/Nina murder with Nina killing Franco and accidentally killing Nate when he figures out what she's done - best thing that could be done with those characters

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

If be fine with a Franco/Nina murder  with Nina killing Franco and accidentally killing Nate when he figures out what she's done - best thing that could be done with those characters

I personally think her evil list needs to be brought back.  Just use it and her to get rid of a lot of useless characters.  She can destroy SonnyBucks and the grey sets while she maniacally cuts all ones with terrible haircuts too. 

Oh, Nathan is generally worthless, but at least his character isn't actively offensive. I mean, he's a cop (which dooms him right there, in Port Chuckles) - even if he did shoot Griffin. But hey, with only one such offense to his name versus the rest of the PC Brethren, he is almost a saint.

Franco, though? Hell, no. He needs to die. Painfully. But quickly as he does not belong on screen. I mean, recast or not, he strapped Lulu to a bomb, made Sam believe she was raped and carrying her rapist's spawn, and was responsible for Michael getting raped. (Also why the Franco/Carly deal was extra gross.) No amount of whitewashing will ever wipe those clean. And Roger Howarth is still running on the goodwill of his current/former EP and his '90s acting schtick/tics. He needs to go. And not return as a 56th character, thank you very much.

• Love 9

Recasts won't solve the problem of terrible writing. Sure, better actors might be able to do a bit more with what they're given, but the stories themselves suck and won't improve until someone in charge somewhere insists on smarter stories. And I doubt that will happen.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I could probably accept a Nathan recast if the recast was an actor instead of an underwear model, but his presence encourages the continued existence of Dr. O and Nina and I need them gone

Recasting Tree would be like recasting Kiki after KA left. Other than being *good* (which is debatable) he contributes absolutely nothing to this show and Maxie has been has become practically useless thanks to being paired with him. 

• Love 2

I'd rather see a recast of Matt or Lucky and see the Tree removed root and branch but dubble zout is right - the writing (and the editing and the pacing) are the larger problems. Franco would still be impossible but with better writers he might not be such a garbage fire and a better EP would just kill off the character and stop obsessing over soap "gets" 

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 2

As long as Lyft tips (and I am informed by my many many Lyft drivers in LA that they do, unlike godless Uber) Bradford will be beep-beeping his way closer and closer to my heart, domicile and scheduled event destination! One of these days! Yes, I will attempt to take a picture.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 5

@jsbt and @dubbel zout, replying here

I think a lot of people can and should work together to take down Sonny, including Michael, Anna, Scorpio, etc. But I think the biggest weight in story and the ratings potential is best if they rope the newly evolved Jason into it, have him turn on his former partner because he can't take what it's done to him and their lives and their families. If you want to make the character differentiated and actualized again with the recast and how different he's become, that is where you go IMO - and make Jason a WSB agent. I believe they can run promos with it successfully, and if they had a better writing team with people from the old guard (hahaha) it could do very well.

I'm not convinced that it was garner much attention with nuJason in the role, but hey, I guess you never know till it's tried. 

At this point I don't think Steve will be back, simply because I don't think there's enough time.

I'm not convinced Passanante or Altman want Sonny out or care. I think they write what they're told and are interested in other dumb stories and characters. I think Frank only cares about what keeps the show alive and also allows them to play his favorites. I think they all consider keeping Sonny in the mob and prominent the easiest path of least resistance with both Benard and their aging audience that will keep all those other balls in the air

I was thinking that I wish MB would go for a TG type deal and then I wondered, would giving the whole cast a TG type deal solve their pacing problem a bit? Half the cast could be on half the year and then the other half could come on.

I don't think it would be that hard to get rid of the mob, but then they'd have to come up with something to take its place, and we've seen how lazy and uninspired the stories we get are.

I don't think the mob is the problem in and of itself - just making one of the main characters a mobster. Don't put the cops in a position where they're going, "okay, now we're DEFINITELY going to take Sonny down" for 20 years. It's ridiculous.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I'm not convinced that it was garner much attention with nuJason in the role, but hey, I guess you never know till it's tried. 

At this point I don't think Steve will be back, simply because I don't think there's enough time.

I think with good writing and a focus on the character relationships and history the drama and attention is there, especially if it is highlighted how different Jason has become - through reflections from Sam, through Carly, Michael, Robin. It doesn't have to be about their current relationship so much as the history and how so much has changed, and how he's gone back to wanting to be among his biological family and out of a life of crime.

And I would definitely give MB (and maybe a few others) a Geary airtime deal. As for Steve, they brought Roger Howarth back to OLTL 8 months before the finale and did not reintroduce him to the community or out him as Todd until approximately 4 months before, so it can happen.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, jsbt said:

He'll come back for money.

Why are you doubting Steve's love for his art? You sell cranberry juice for a couple of several years and all of a sudden it's "oh, he's in it for the money!"

Poor Steve.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Sure it is.

I disagree. It's all good. 

Although I would enjoy watching Steve come back to play this jolly ol "Hey, honey!" version of Jason whose priority is rubbing Sam's belly and playing PI without a gun.

I wish FV had been fired with RC. I know that he's great at running a show on the cheap - but the show looks cheap. 

Plus, a new EP might have been willing to look at RC's last three years objectively and toss it like the garbage that it actually was. They couldn't dismissed it as an AJ coma dream. Then have Sonny get out of jail after years instead of months. The mob aspect that never goes away can be Sonny  helping the PCPD take down the "bad mobsters" that supplanted him while he was in jail - tension can be whether he's doing it as penance or using his son to regain his empire, and with good writers that could be a motivation that even Sonny isn't completely sure of. If he actually does stay out, the action stuff could come from people looking for revenge. Sonny and the mob are popular enough that I'm willing to concede their existence, but this particular story needs to change. 

Even with the panic attacks, SK/AJ was a much better foil for Sonny than Julian AKA Narcissus von Turtlenecks

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

Although I would enjoy watching Steve come back to play this jolly ol "Hey, honey!" version of Jason whose priority is rubbing Sam's belly and playing PI without a gun.

I hate Jason/SB, but man, this would really be worth him coming back. I can't even imagine! And they would have to keep all the 'buddy' stuff, too. Hilarious!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

My dream is small - a SORASed Cameron in our lifetime.

Except we'd need a more appropriate term for poor Cam. SORAS (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome) doesn't seem to fit here as he is actually another Lulu, another character who took FOREVER to get to her proper age. She skipped most of her teen years altogether! She went from a tot to little girl to late teen/adult Lulu.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Oracle42 said:

I just saw OLTL!Brody looking gorgeous on Pitch and now I want him on GH. If FV/RC were determined to drag OLTL actors to GH, why couldn't one of them have been a pocket cop with an amazing six-pack

Ooh, suddenly I'm even more excited to catch up on that show. See, they could have cast Brody and he could have come on with Claudette and then they recreate their chemistry and sweetness. Don't destroy my dream by telling me I'm wrong.

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I just saw OLTL!Brody looking gorgeous on Pitch and now I want him on GH. If FV/RC were determined to drag OLTL actors to GH, why couldn't one of them have been a pocket cop with an amazing six-pack

That was my first thought, too! I was like, "So he is still acting! Now get him on GH as Lucky!"

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

It's just something I would have wanted at some point. Nothing anyone has to worry about. They'll never recast Lucky or bring him back.

:(

If the show is cancelled, they will. Hopefully.

• Love 3

Claudette makes me want to don a suicide vest. And while I love Mark Lawson I just see no place for him (or any OLTL star at the moment) on the show. Lucky in particular would just be reviving the Greg Vaughan years, IMO, which radically altered the character. I don't think he or that is appropriate for the character JJ revived.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

I don't think casting a good actor would revive the GV years - GV couldn't act for shit, and that was a big part of the problem. But honestly, I found GV inoffensive most of the time. (A lot of which had to do with my total hatred of JY in the role.) And the lack of Lucky now is really glaring. Well it has been glaring for a long time. I'd rather a recast that the character be Frisco'd, which is what is happening/happened and I really hate it. (My sympathy, Frisco fans!)

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

I'd rather Lucky just came and got his kids offscreen and then went back to wherever he's living or move to NYC. 

I really think they should do that. Why can't Lucky get the same kind of treatment Jax gets where we are told his kids go visit him? I don't get it. And I really don't even give a shit about Lucky!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

I'd rather Lucky just came and got his kids offscreen and then went back to wherever he's living or move to NYC. If he's not on the show and not in PC he's somewhat protected from Jelly.

That would be good too.  Maybe he can take Liz and Lulu and Dante with him?

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Why can't Lucky get the same kind of treatment Jax gets where we are told his kids go visit him? I don't get it.

Yeah, I don't understand that, either. I didn't mind that he went off to Ireland that first time to stare at the rocks, even if it was idiotic. But there's no reason now he can't have regular visits with the boys.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Melgaypet said:

And Rocco? Is Rocco still a thing that exists?

Heh - yes, they showed him last week. And Tracy and Laura were at the house watching him yesterday.

(If you already knew this, then apologies. Not sure whether you're just joking or you're joking AND you were genuinely asking.)