Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Season 6, Episode 3

This. Fabulous clothes and an amazing setting but still basically just a soap opera. This would make Anna and Bates the Luke and Laura of their generation. 

I have zero problems with this. 

• Love 7

I bailed on Downton when they married off Rose so hastily. At the time, and especially in retrospect, it appears to me that was the writing on the wall for Mary and Tom to happen. Mary is the show to Fellowes, and the rest is more or less filler. They threw a number of men at her and nobody really clicked. I think casting could have done a better job, or maybe it's just that the actors who have all the qualities needed to become the younger male lead (symbolically anyway - the real male lead is Hugh Bonneville) are busy working elsewhere. Allen Leech is really the only one whose character has the requisite masculinity, humor, history, rapport.

Anyway I have caught up and more or less enjoyed this episode. Some of the dialogue is *really* strained, particularly the "witticisms" they shovel into Violet's mouth. I really like Edith's new man, I like the atmosphere at the magazine, and like that Edith's secretary comes right in to pitch in. One can see Edith opening a path for her to become a newspaperwoman/journalist as well.

It's disconcerting how many years have passed since the premiere and nobody has aged.

Danker has the world's worst wig. 

• Love 3

Tom!!!! I literally cheered out loud when I saw him and Sybbie again. Yay!

And Edith totally stepped up to the task! AND fired that misogynistic shit screaming at her. Bye, jerk!

Daisy, Daisy, DAISY. STAHP. Stop talking about Mr. Mason taking over the Yew Tree tenancy, you're going to eff it up.

How adorbs were the cousins (Sybbie, George and Marigold) hugging each other.

The interlude of Thomas at that estate--that was haunting. Absolutely stunning set piece, a look at a time of glamor and elegance gone, gone. I was aching for that poor man.

• Love 17

Tom!  Tom!  Tom's back!  He's back!  Yay!  Oh, frabgeous day!

My guess why Tom left Boston - Super Mutants, The Brotherhood of Steel, and Preston Garvey pressuring him to save another settlement.  Also, the Cheers bar was closed.

Mary's really ramping up the bitchiness, isn't she?  How dare she scold her mother!  Those were her clothes and they should have asked her directly.

Also, we get to see Cora being not Little Miss Perfect.  This whole thing with the hospital is wearing her out.  Also, did she set-up The Drewes?  I really don't understand the whole farm plot.

We got to see Edith taking charge.  I love that!  It shows how far she's come :)

I felt bad for the old guy Thomas went to see.  Those old Edwardian times will never return and is either lying to himself or is just to senile to realize that.

And it's not too late, Mr. Mosley.  I think you'd be a great teacher.

How long before Spratt and Denker start making out?  Anyone?  Also, how long before The Dowager and Isobel go at it WWE style?

Oh, yeah.  Mrs. Hughes and Carson's wedding was nice, too.  Good thing this is the last season, otherwise this would all turn into another Moonlighting.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 5

Loved Robert picking up,Sibbie and telling her to give Donk a kiss. Lol

I choose to stay completely unspoiled so I was shocked seeing Tom back so soon. Figured it would be later in the season.

• Love 11

How long was Tom gone for?  Travelling back and forth across the Atlantic wasn't that easy back then.  You can't just pick up and go (okay, you can't do that NOW unless you want to pay a gazillion dollars for a crappy seat). 

• Love 1

I didn't realize I missed Branson until he showed up tonight, but that final scene had me grinning my face off. Yes, it was the schmoopiest of the schmoopy, but I don't care, I loved it.

• Love 3

I really loved this episode.  So many great moments - Tom and Sybie, Mosely, the grandkids hugging, the wedding, the old manor and the days gone by.

One sour note for me is how Violet and Isobel's have been so nasty to each other this season.  I don't like the hospital plot and all.  Violet and Isobel do spar but with warmth and wit which is nowhere to be seen. I wonder if Fellows is mad at Maggie Smith for announcing that S6 was to be her last, and taking it out on her character. I believe Smith's announcement preceded the announcement that S6 would be the last season for the show.    

Violet and Isobel's relationship was always a selling point for me - but not this season.

• Love 5

I'm not minding the hospital drama.  It puts an obstruction in Isobel and Violet riding off to the sunset together and reminds them (and everyone) how they became friends to begin with. It also puts Isobel in Lord Merton's path some more, and she needs to marry him and kick those asshole sons of his in their toffy noses.

Could care less about Denker and Spratt, dislike them both.  Daisy needs to shut up.  Mrs. Padmore needs a good man to come around.  Love that Lord Grantham has embraced the Donk.

• Love 1

Aw.  I enjoyed that.  I hate the time wasted onThe Dowager's staff (I can't even care about them enough to learn their names) but other than that I enjoyed it.  Even the drama over the dress (which I was hating when it happened -- poor Mrs. Hughes) worked out for the best.  Mrs. Hughes really did want something special to wear on her wedding day and she got it.  I liked the fact that Cora set Mary straight about the fact that she was not honoring Mrs. Hughes' wishes and that later in the episode the tables were turned and Mary had to take her mother to task for fussing at Mrs. Hughes.  I do think it is interesting that Cora thought Mary was being a bully and Mary through Cora was being a snob.  People behaving with the best of intentions and still pissing each other off -- that's life innit?

So happy that Tom is back.  I managed to be completely unspoiled for that.  Now can Edith please fall into a happy relationship with her new friend, move to London, and only see Mary twice a year?  They'd both be fonder of one another from a distance.

l hope Tom will move back into the big house.  Sybbie and George need each other.  Poor Marigold will have to struggle on alone in London (if I get my way) but hey, I'm sure play-dates existed even back then.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

I'm really liking this season in terms of both the writing and characterization. I wish they had told Fellowes two seasons ago that this would be his last.

Yay for Mrs. Patmore saving the wedding day for Mrs. Hughes (and discovering the disappointments of catalog shopping).

I thought Cora being so nasty to Mrs Hughes was completely out of character.

I understand it though.  She's always been the nice one and the hospital fight is upsetting her (as opposed to boring me).  She gets up very early to take a train to tour the big hospital, she gets back for an afternoon fight meeting that sees Isobel being extremely rude to the poor doctor and when she gets home and just want to lie down with her head ache, she finds three of the staff trying on her clothes.

It was a very gracious apology she made to Mrs. Hughes, and she went to the housekeeper's room to do it instead of calling Mrs. Hughes up to her room. And her dress in that scene was totally gorgeous.

I loved Edith getting her groove and confidence on. I loved how jealous Mary was seeing Robert give loving attention to Edith and at the same time Cora was sort of ignoring her too. I found Mary not going after Cora to ask her if she would mind giving a jacket to Ms. Hughes very lazy of her (it was obviously done simply for plot reasons), but it caused too much havoc.. and i was annoyed when she later went and talked to her, literally putting the blame on this all mass on Cora!! "Hey Mary next time don't volunteer your moms clothes before asking her! and if you do make sure to let her know!!

Mary is the Laurel (Arrow) of Downton Abbey, and I am sick of her as I am of Laurel, she rarely if ever takes responsibility for her actions.

I was just thinking that, that Mary is the Laurel Lance of Downton Abbey.

But to give her credit, she did apologize to the Carsons if she had made things more difficult for them. She didn't apologize to Cora at all for not telling her that she had given Mrs. Hughes permission to borrow one of Cora's evening cloaks.  And it was typical Mary to leave the three staff women to do it -- I think if it had been Cora, she might have been up there helping pick out something.  Certainly Sybil would have been. 

I'm happy that Edith is finally getting a purpose and a really good guy. And that Robert is finally praising her.

• Love 8

Daisy needs to slow her f*ing roll.  She just keeps jabbering about the situation, despite everyone else telling her to STFU.  I really wish she hadn't mentioned it to Mason himself, I feel like this will blow up in her face.  I get her mouthing off at the auction when she was caught unaware, but now she's just acting like an idiot.  Until the ink is dry, nothing is certain.

As happy as I was for Carson and Mrs. Hughes (now Mrs. Carson, aww) Carson's cold behavior to Thomas is painful to watch.  Even with all the bs that he's pulled, Thomas has the right to know about his future at Downton, especially since his particular job is in jeopardy.  Bad enough that his interviews aren't panning out, but now he's being treated like shit by everyone else, except for Baxter.  Carson's bit about not really wanting Thomas as an usher was was pretty callous.

That said, the interview was the best scene in the episode.  You could see how that had been an incredible house full of people and music.  All you could hear was the echo of the footsteps.  Very sad considering what that house used to be, but I was glad Thomas got out of there.  

Mary had me yo-yo'ing this week.  I went from wanting to wring her neck (her bitching about the reception in the beginning) to thinking she was awesome (her delight for Anna's pregnancy).  At least she recognized that she was in the wrong in the end.  And I'm glad Mrs. Hughes finally got some say to the wedding she wanted.

Loved Tom's appearance, especially given his humble origins when he first arrived.  And the hug between the kids was sweet.

• Love 6

the interview was the best scene in the episode.  You could see how that had been an incredible house full of people and music.  All you could hear was the echo of the footsteps.

I found that scene doubly sad because I'm afraid it it was all too easy to find a house in which to shoot that scene.  I think I've seen that particular house before on television.  I'll bet the family really does only live in a bit of it and rents it out for television and movies to keep the roof in repair.

• Love 6

I almost thought Mary must have set Mrs. Hughes up for the smackdown by Cora. At least Cora apologized--unlike Mary. Poor Mrs. Hughes having to deal with Mary's interference with their wedding. Mary is definitely a bully, but I didn't get how Cora could possibly be thought of as a snob? It was nice to see Tom, but I felt bad for Mrs. Hughes because suddenly the Crawleys were gathered around him and it took the spotlight from the wedding. Poor woman.

I must be out alone on my island in my enjoyment of the hospital plot. I enjoy seeing the various character interactions between Cora, Clarkson, Violet, and Isobel. It's a nice echo to the first two seasons for me.

I hate seeing Thomas having nothing to do this season. I was hoping they'd give him a love interest before the series ended, but even if Andy were that, I'm not that fond of the actor/character. Carson is and always will be insufferable (in regards to everyone and everything).

• Love 1

Loved this episode. I was completely unspoiled about Tom's return so when he walked in, I gasped and started blubbering a little! Very unlike me and my youngest son couldn't believe it. Kind of like when Matthew walked in and started singing with Mary at the Christmas episode a few seasons ago (same reaction). I am just overjoyed he's back! The grass was NOT greener and he found that out quickly and came right back -- I have no problem with that.

Edith and the magazine and the agent helping was one of my other favorite storylines -- well done. Loved the secretary Audrey's slight smile when the awful editor was getting the sack.

I absolutely think Mary is a little jealous that Edith is finding her footing in the modern world.

I agree with the storytelling notion that Thomas' job search is being used as a way to show us the inside of other great homes and how things are changing/declining. I was actually pleased that Carson, though begrudgingly, allowed Thomas to take a rose as an usher. Carson could've used that moment to, once again, cut Thomas down a bit, but he did not and you know that meant a great deal to Thomas.

Baxter and Molesley have become two of my very favorites in the entire series. I hope Molesley does become an educator. He would be patient, kind, helpful. I hope they get married too!

Carson and Mrs. Hughes -- the wedding and reception were just right, so lovely. Finally!

• Love 7

Another question:  When did the practice of exchanging rings start?  Didn't look like Carson and Mrs. Hughes exchanged rings.

My understanding is that exchanging rings began with World War II -- men would have "something to remember her by" while serving far away. I imagine there were exceptions a bit earlier, though.

I get her mouthing off at the auction when she was caught unaware, but now she's just acting like an idiot.

How is that different from any other time Daisy's IQ drops to 10 to suite the plot?

I must be out alone on my island in my enjoyment of the hospital plot. I enjoy seeing the various character interactions between Cora, Clarkson, Violet, and Isobel. It's a nice echo to the first two seasons for me.

I actually agree with one caveat. This would all be lovely if this wasn't episode three of nine and the show is done. The hospital drama and the Spratt/Denker comedy routine and the wedding drama and the agony of watching Carson merrily torture Barrow all feels like it was written before the cancellation notice.

As happy as I was for Carson and Mrs. Hughes (now Mrs. Carson, aww) Carson's cold behavior to Thomas is painful to watch.

Carson is a rarity, someone who is true to form from season one to now. Considering the three episodes of angst, I don't know why Elsie wanted to marry him when he clearly doesn't consider her at all.

I liked Mary and Edith and adored Cora actually having something to do and getting her bitch on.

• Love 2

I liked this episode.

-loved all the discussion & planning about the wedding dress

-loved Thomas' interview story. I hope it all works out for him.

-loved how nervous & excited Mrs Hughes seemed to be. Up to now she seemed a little lukewarm to Mr Carson.

-I even liked the Denker/Spratt story. I seem to enjoy the evil ones (OBrian, Thomas).

-loved seeing Edith being smart, confident & competent

-liked that Bertie doesn't mind that she/they have a ward & that she's an independent woman

Didn't like:

-Cora came across a bit schizo this episode. Getting involved in the wedding reception plans, yet blowing her stack at loyal long serving servants. You can't tell me that meeting stressed her out THAT much, she's dealt with Violet for years.

-Tom. Was surprised to see him (& wow, he's gained some weight). But didn't like that he showed up at the wedding reception. Like others I thought it was too soon & stole the thunder away from the bride & groom.

It was a nice fast paced episode with a lot happening.

• Love 1

Oh & of course was annoyed by Daisy & her blabbing mouth. Now I'm starting to think Mr Mason might not get the Drewes farm.

The hospital story is tiresome but I always enjoy seeing Isobel with Lord Merton & Dr Carson. And Violet of course. But they are t giving her much to work with.

Tom! Sybbie! Hugging cousins!

Anna! Happy! Joking! Pregnant! Don't fuck this up, Fellowes!

I liked Cora a lot in this episode, the good and the bad. I liked that she listened to Mrs. Hughes about the kind of wedding she wanted and didn't think she was being a snob at all. As for her walking in on the ladies trying on her coats...shit, I get mad when one of my friends starts going through my clothes without asking me. These women are her employees and while Mary did give them permission, Cora was not informed. I don't think she really thought they were stealing, but given the class divide at the time, I can understand her being upset. Either way, she did apologize very nicely. The coat looked wonderful on Mrs. Hughes. Can anyone with more of an eagle eye/better memory for the fashion on this show remember if/when Cora ever wore that coat before? It would be fun to put two screenshots up next to each other.

I did like the scene of the female servants going through the coats just because the actresses who play the female staff (especially JoFro) have commented that they're a little jealous of the women who play the upstairs characters because they get such great wardrobes. This felt like a nice little shout-out to that.

I was surprised at how much I loved the scene of Thomas's interview. That house was absolutely stunning and I felt like I could imagine what it must have been like in its prime. There was something really sad about the owner thinking that those great times were going to come back.

I don't like disliking Daisy, but yeesh. Stop telling people something that Cora is going to do when Cora never gave you a guarantee!

Anna and Mary's friendship is officially my favorite part of this whole show. I get kind of wistful for how much better friends they could be if they were in the same class, or if the class divides weren't so strict.

Molesley is so sweet. Instead of wallowing in the fact that he missed his opportunity to pursue a life outside of service, he wants to help make sure that the same thing doesn't happen to someone else.

I don't have to start calling Mrs. Hughes Mrs. Carson, do I? There's only 6 episodes left, I'll confuse myself.

Robert's "indigestion" is definitely a hint to me that the hospital plot is going to become very crucial soon. Last season he thought it was angina and it turned out to be "just" an ulcer (I put just in quotes because can't stomach ulcers be quite serious?). Dun dun DUUUUUUNNNNNN.

My understanding is that exchanging rings began with World War II -- men would have "something to remember her by" while serving far away. I imagine there were exceptions a bit earlier, though.

For Christmas, my mom got me a DVD of the Paley Center panel with Matthew Weiner and the cast of Mad Men where they happened to talk a little bit about the style of men wearing wedding rings. I'm not sure if this was limited just to the US or if it extended to the entirety of the Western world, but Weiner said that men of Don Draper's age (he would have been born around the time this show is taking place now, 1925, I think, he turns 40 in 1965 if I'm remembering correctly) didn't wear wedding rings, while the generation before them had. I'm not sure if the style continued farther back to the era of people like Carson and Mrs. Hughes, but it seems like something that came and went with the fashions of the time. I realize this isn't a definitive answer but it suggests that it might have been in style.

• Love 2

I couldn't care less about Denker or Spratt. They are both awful. I don't care if Spratt is hiding his nephew and I don't care if Denker can ever get him fired or not. It's not funny or interesting to me in the least. I don't know why Violet tolerates either of them.

Daisy just needs to STFU. And I suppose it was plot convenience that made her get selected to light the fires so that she would run into Cora. I have been wondering that since Ivy left and there is no "proper" scullery maid, does that mean there is someone else who helps out in the kitchen as well as elsewhere (and thus is not a "proper" scullery maid) or is it just Daisy and Mrs. Patmore working the kitchen by themselves. Daisy is the assistant cook, not a maid, and I find it odd they would send her to light the fires and leave Mrs. Patmore all alone. Surely there is another upstairs maid besides Gertie who cleans the house.

The hospital fight was a bit more interesting this week because Cora actually exhibited some personality.

Surprised that Edith didn't bother me that much. This being the last season, and the theme is change, it's obvious she is going to marry this Bertie person and move to London for good, as he alluded to. Good riddance. That said, even with the editor walking out, I found it a bit contrived that they had to stay up all night. Did the editor always start working on the issue at 8 pm?

Tom looks like he ate very well in Boston.

• Love 1

Daisy just needs to STFU. And I suppose it was plot convenience that made her get selected to light the fires so that she would run into Cora. I have been wondering that since Ivy left and there is no "proper" scullery maid, does that mean there is someone else who helps out in the kitchen as well as elsewhere (and thus is not a "proper" scullery maid) or is it just Daisy and Mrs. Patmore working the kitchen by themselves. Daisy is the assistant cook, not a maid, and I find it odd they would send her to light the fires and leave Mrs. Patmore all alone. Surely there is another upstairs maid besides Gertie who cleans the house.

There is the always mentioned, never-seen Madge who took over as head housemaid when Anna was promoted to Mary's ladies maid. But lighting fires would definitely be "beneath" her position.

As of the start of this season, I think there were at least 4 maids, but Carson mentioned 2 leaving: one to get married, the other to get a job with more reasonable hours.

the wailings of an assistant cook.

•  Chekhov’s indigestion…

Well, there are two excellent novel titles for my collection.

Thomas' interview was my favorite part. It was wonderfully written and acted, and perfectly expressed the changing times theme.  I thought Thomas had just the right balance of "no way am I working here" and compassion for the old guy. I don't care if the Bateses have a happy (or even nonincarcerated) ending but really want Thomas to have one.

I got what the writers were trying to do with Cora's blowup, but it felt like there needed to be one more scene of her being frustrated and insulted by the hospital shenanigans to make her bad temper work in that scene.  With the way it was, I certainly would have understood frustration and annoyance, even kicking them all out, but not the level of upset she got. I did love her apology- when she's wrong, she's humble about it and tries to make it right (e.g. going the extra step to not just give Mrs. Hughes the coat, but asking Baxter to fit it for her, so it would be perfect on her wedding day.)

Yes, Edith is self-centered and self-pitying and I still love her, because eventually she gets off her ass and gets shit done. Imperfect people who don't quite get that a guy like-likes them and is asking for a date deserve love too!

Edited by Greta
  • Love 13

Anna and Mary's friendship is officially my favorite part of this whole show. I get kind of wistful for how much better friends they could be if they were in the same class, or if the class divides weren't so strict.

Same here. Theirs are the only scenes that get my full attention.

I don't even know who Spratt and Denker are - that's how much I tune out their scenes. Same for the hospital drama. Don't know, don't care.

Oh, Tom. His return gets an eyeroll from me. Two seasons of his tiresome moping have erased any affection for him from me. And looks like we're in for more. This episode it's all "You're my family and I belong here!" and in the preview he's back to "I need to find myself outside this place" (paraphrasing). MAKE UP YOUR GODDAMN MIND.

I also recently saw Brooklyn in theatres, a film about an Irish person who immigrates to America and how difficult of a transition it was. Tom spends, what, a few months in America and runs back home? That's only slightly more than a vacation, not an honest attempt at adaptation to a new environment. He only appears to have adapted to American portion sizes.

Edith and Bertie were sweet, though. He's cute, age-appropriate, and single. Edith's love interests have never managed to hit that trifecta. GO FOR IT, GIRL.

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 6

That episode was a mini "Marigold Hotel" reunion with Ronald Pickup (the old man interviewing Thomas) guesting. I felt sorry for the old man when he talked wistfully about the ladies going up the grand staircase to bed. That manor house was enormous. What would he expect a "manservant" to do there?

Not to be mean, but I still think the little girl playing Marygold (hate that name!) is odd looking.

• Love 2

I thought when Carson was pacing & rehearsing the vows he said "do you have the rings?" to himself & patted his jacket pocket. So I assumed they exchanged rings.

My grandparents were married in 1926 & they exchanged rings.

• Love 4

That manor house was enormous. What would he expect a "manservant" to do there?

Something we're seeing more and more is that as the grand estates reduce their staff, the people they hire or end up keeping have more tasks than they used to.  I figured Thomas would serve as Reresby's butler, footman, and chauffeur, since there was no one else in the manor to care for.  And one of his duties might be cleaning, because that place was a mess.  Just disposing of all those newspapers would take days.

• Love 1

Yeah, Marigold has a bit of an odd forehead, but she'll come around in a few years.

Can someone explain how those steps would be safe in that old grand house? Any architects here?

• Love 2

The wedding made me cry.

I wanted Daisy to STFU.

Tom returning made me cry, too.

Mary didn't really apologize for being such a dick. She looked at Carson the entire time she was saying whatever words that were not quite an apology. Also, she's so seethingly jealous of Edith...she was nearly speechless when Edith was getting praise from Lord G.  That doesn't happen often.

Edited by guilfoyleatpp
  • Love 4

No best man? No maid of honor? Opportunity missed, uncle Julian.

That said, the edith gets jilted show had flower girls but no bridesmaids.

Which seems odd.

Did the Anglican service not have "you may kiss the bride?"

It's so hilarious the difference posh and non wedding customs, but it's surprising that Mary was so astonished people sit down. I mean fancy English people maybe didn't but virtually every other culture in the world did... Chinese, french, Italian... Wedding meals are the norm! And my goodness that FOOD. No wonder mrs. Patmore was busy.

What menu was she going over with Cora? Just the daily one, I hope? Because that is a thing, I too have read "rebecca."

I didn't agree with the recap about one thing- I didn't think the schoolteacher was being snide at all. He was praising Molesley and i heard in his question about vocation a real interest, like he might make Molesley a project. A teacher spies a talented teacher with no training. I think that's end game for Molesley. He's a natural.

Shut up Daisy. How much did it hurt to hear mr mason talking about a dream. He wouldn't say anything unless Daisy had led him to believe it was real, he's far too sensible.

Omg, are you in love with someone else? Is THAT going to be the new Bates cloud? Can't she be smiley now and then mr bates?

I'm a journalist so I loved all the magazine things but two things:

1. She didn't edit the magazine. She paginator it and produced it. She did some copy editing. To our knowledge.

2. When the hell did she learn layout? Was she on yearbook staff or something? Seriously it's a skill and while the finished Pages looked nice it's a bit insulting to present it so casually like anyone with a sleeve to roll up could just do it, I'm perfectly willing to accept that it happened with gregson and we didn't see it, the way she also goes to the bathroom and brushes her teeth and we don't see it, but SOME HINTS OF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE.

When I became the editor of a section I had to take a drawing test and study. Just saying,

3. Nice as it was to see robert all happy for her, I was like the hell? Since when? How does he know?

Nevertheless... On the whole I liked it, and I did giggle at Pelham saying exactly what our staff photographer says all the time, choose the prettiest faces and nicest clothes (well, he says most visually interesting etc) when she was being what he'd call "literal" and trying to figure out the people's ranks.

Tom!

Maybe good to lay off the high carb for awhile?

Anyone else faintly annoyed that he stole the spotlight IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TOAST?

Cuz it's always about the aristos. Ah well.

Yes it's contrived he came back so soon but whatever I knew he was coming back since he was doing so many promos... I mean you don't see the actors who played sybil or Matthew or Lavinia doing em! So I'm ok with it. Marigold still seems doped up...

We just got a new big TV and I watch for the decor and fashion and it does not let me down,

And I love the carsons.

• Love 5