Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Spartan Girl

"What Do They See In Each Other?!" Worst Movie Love Interests

One of the most toxic couples in modern cinema is Rocketman's Elton John and his then-manager/lover John Reid, who was a physically, mentally and emotionally abusive asshole who only cared about using Elton, even basically forcing him to perform just hours after he tried to kill himself. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 4

Am I the only one that wasn't feeling Brad Johnson's character in Always as Dorinda's love interest after Pete died? Don't get me wrong, it was fine for her to move on with her life, but he was just so bland. The film tries to portray him as the perfect guy, but they just made him too perfect. Not really much of a personality. And I kind of have to give him a bit of side-eye for fixating on her when Pete was still alive and then coming back six months later to try his luck with her when he barely knew her. At least that's how it come off to me. Also his repeated John Wayne impression was lame.

Still a good movie though.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Am I the only one that wasn't feeling Brad Johnson's character in Always as Dorinda's love interest after Pete died? Don't get me wrong, it was fine for her to move on with her life, but he was just so bland. The film tries to portray him as the perfect guy, but they just made him too perfect. Not really much of a personality. And I kind of have to give him a bit of side-eye for fixating on her when Pete was still alive and then coming back six months later to try his luck with her when he barely knew her. At least that's how it come off to me. Also his repeated John Wayne impression was lame.

Still a good movie though.

I love that movie and I completely agree about how bland he is.  They really needed someone with more charisma. Also he doesn’t spark enough with Holly Hunter.  It’s the one misstep in an otherwise fantastic movie.  

• Like 3

Going back several decades, gotta bring up the musical Xanadu. It was never gonna be a great or well-respected film, but it could have been a solid fun, frothy confection, with its decent concept and a very appealing soundtrack. To make that happen, though they needed the couple at the center of the fantasy to create a believable destined attraction - some reason for the audience to feel their connection and want them to wind up together. Kira and Sonny are not that couple, and I place the problem squarely on whomever made the decision to cast Michael Beck as the male lead. He's actually a decent dramatic actor based on the few things I've seen him in, including The Warriors, but there's no way he should have been the romantic lead in a musical comedy. He seems completely uncomfortable or clueless when asked to deliver comedic, romantic and emotional beats throughout the film. Olivia Newton-John, while lovely and talented, needs a strong genre performer as a partner in order to sell a pairing. Beck was clearly out of his element and entirely miscast as her love interest. If they had chosen an actor that understands what a lead role in a musical comedy requires - someone from that era like Kevin Kline, Barry Bostwick or Treat Williams - the film might have had a chance to shine as what it was meant to be, and would be held in much higher regard all these years later. It's clear from how little he actually appears in more recent promos for the film that he's not considered a selling point.:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, giovannif7 said:

Going back several decades, gotta bring up the musical Xanadu. It was never gonna be a great or well-respected film, but it could have been a solid fun, frothy confection, with its decent concept and a very appealing soundtrack. To make that happen, though they needed the couple at the center of the fantasy to create a believable destined attraction - some reason for the audience to feel their connection and want them to wind up together. Kira and Sonny are not that couple, and I place the problem squarely on whomever made the decision to cast Michael Beck as the male lead. He's actually a decent dramatic actor based on the few things I've seen him in, including The Warriors, but there's no way he should have been the romantic lead in a musical comedy. He seems completely uncomfortable or clueless when asked to deliver comedic, romantic and emotional beats throughout the film. Olivia Newton-John, while lovely and talented, needs a strong genre performer as a partner in order to sell a pairing. Beck was clearly out of his element and entirely miscast as her love interest. If they had chosen an actor that understands what a lead role in a musical comedy requires - someone from that era like Kevin Kline, Barry Bostwick or Treat Williams - the film might have had a chance to shine as what it was meant to be, and would be held in much higher regard all these years later. It's clear from how little he actually appears in more recent promos for the film that he's not considered a selling point.:

I move Xanadu despite it’s many many many many many flaws.  I enjoyed Michael Beck in The Warriors and agree he was all wrong for Xanadu.  I also think as written the character isn’t that compelling.   Olivia had more chemistry with Gene Kelly than Michael.  I would have happily spent the movie focusing on Gene Kelly who was more interesting to me.

• Like 8

Can we all agree that Maxim in Rebecca was a messed up, emotionally abusive jerk and a murderer? If your first marriage was that bad, you probably should at least -- I don't know -- TELL YOUR NEW WIFE THE TRUTH instead of snap at her every time she asks? He could have done that much without admitting to the murder. Instead he pushes her away and lets Mrs. Danvers mess with her head. Real Prince Charming, that one.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Can we all agree that Maxim in Rebecca was a messed up, emotionally abusive jerk and a murderer? If your first marriage was that bad, you probably should at least -- I don't know -- TELL YOUR NEW WIFE THE TRUTH instead of snap at her every time she asks? He could have done that much without admitting to the murder. Instead he pushes her away and let's Mrs. Dancers mess with her head. Real Prince Charming, that one.

It's like, hey, Max? Communication. Is. Your. Friend! Lay all your cards on the table for your new bride! Say something along the lines of,

"Okay, honey, just a few things you need to know: no talking about politics after 4 p.m., don't fart in bed, my late wife was in fact a towering inferno of bitchiness, I don't miss her one little bit, and for God's sake please don't dress up like her ancestor in that portrait because that's how she dressed at the last masquerade and it's a real trigger thing for me, all right? We good? Great! Let's have some bangers and mash after we burn Rebecca's crap and fire Mrs. Danvers!"

• Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Harper in Happiest Season. Being afraid to come out his understandable, but bringing your girlfriend to meet your parents, forcing her to lie about the relationship, leaving her alone and isolated and letting everyone crap on her? And that's just what she did to Abby. What she did to Riley back in high school -- outing her on purpose to hide her own sexuality -- was ten times worse.

Abby really should have just cut her losses and hooked up with Riley instead.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Spartan Girl, you are speaking my language. That movie was not at all what I was thought it was going to be, I was mad disappointed with Harper. She was horrible. She knowingly let that girl come to Christmas knowing that they didn't know she was gay let alone dating and living with a woman. Not to mention she made her sound like a homeless orphan. Why couldn't she just say that she was a friend who didn't have a family to spend Christmas with?

She left her alone, she made her feel abandoned and she just kept doing it. I couldn't believe that this movie expected me to be happy that they stayed together. Abby deserved Aubrey Plaza damn it. Awful movie. Right up there with the Family Stone.

• Like 5

Linnea (Lily Tomlin) and Delbert (Ned Beatty) in Nashville. I don't usually condone marital infidelity, but considering a smart, talented, compassionate woman like Linnea is married to a vacuous, unattractive, unappealing lump like Delbert (who makes little attempt to connect to his deaf children), can you blame her for having a fling with Keith Carradine's Tom? 

Seriously, woman, why did you ever marry this brainless laundry pile of a human being??

• Like 1

I hate to do this, but the ending to Avengers Endgame forces me to put Steve Rogers on this list. Look, if you love someone, you want them to be happy, no matter what, right? You don’t use time traveling to reinsert yourself back into their lives or create a new timeline when there was nothing wrong with the life they built without you.

Yes, it was sad that Steve and Peggy didn’t get their shot, but she moved on. She found love again with a good guy and had a family. She still cared about Steve but it wasn’t like she spent her whole life pining away for what could have been. When they met again in Winter Soldier, she told him that she had zero regrets and told him that she wanted him to move on and find happiness again. That should have been the end of it.

But NOOOOOOOOO...

People defend it by saying that Past/New Timeline Peggy would have been okay with it, that she CHOSE to be with him... but would the Peggy Carter we knew, she who was so self-possessed and independent, really be okay with Steve going back in time to fix their past to his liking instead of letting her find her own path and destiny? And Hayley Atwell can snark about how she might have been supposedly got pissed if she found out Steve kissed Sharon...but it wouldn’t have bothered her that Steve didn’t bother to track down her niece after sacrificed her career to help him break Bucky out, just let her go on the run and didn’t even bother to find out if she was okay before or after The Snap? Didn’t get her to join his little squad with Black Widow and Falcon? Really? The niece of the woman you love and you just let her twist in the wind?

Steve really does not come off well in either one of these scenarios.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 9

I hate Steve and Peggy's ending in Endgame. It's awful. Doesn't do anyone any justice at all. Peggy had a whole ass life without Steve Rogers, career, husband, kids, grandkids.

So for Steve to take it upon himself to go back and try to reinsert himself where he does not belong was too much for me. It was garbage. It erased everything that Steve had learned in the last ten years. Any growth he experienced as a person was immediately washed away.  

Were the writers trying to tell me that Peggy was the only person he cared about after everything that happened? What about Bucky and Sam? The avengers? The world? The Steve Rogers that fought so hard to save Bucky in Civil War was not the same guy who left him on the platform with barely any acknowledgement.

Let's pretend that we go with the absurd fan theory that he was always meant to be Peggy's husband.  Am I also supposed to believe that he just let things unfold like they did before? He just left Bucky for Hydra and let Hydra grow inside shield for 70 years?

Did no one think if the implications of Steve going back in time to fix something that wasn't his to fix? Not one woman in the writers room was like no that's terrible? Peggy gets no say.

Ugh it makes me so angry. I legit pretend that the movie ended after the funeral and I will continue to imagine that. I refuse to acknowledge the misogynist ending that they gave us.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Like 7

17 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

Were the writers trying to tell me that Peggy was the only person he cared about after everything that happened? What about Bucky and Sam? The avengers? The world? The Steve Rogers that fought so hard to save Bucky in Civil War was not the same guy who left him on the platform with barely any acknowledgement.

I really wish Steve had just left that stupid compass picture on Peggy’s casket in Civil War because all those scenes in Endgame of him simping at it made me want to kick him in the balls. It was so inappropriate, given the circumstances. Peggy wasn’t killed by Thanos, stupid! She died peacefully in her sleep, and she wasn’t “your girl” anymore! Why are you moping over her more than Sam, Bucky, or even Sharon?! 

I know people didn’t like Sharon, but she had some good moments and Emily VanCamp didn’t deserve all the crap she got from the Stucky trolls. I really hope they do right by her in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I know people didn’t like Sharon, but she had some good moments and Emily VanCamp didn’t deserve all the crap she got from the Stucky trolls. I really hope they do right by her in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

If they try to make her Bucky's love interest, the same Stucky fans will probably moan about her again... after they morph into Sucky (Sam/Bucky?) shippers, of course. I imagine Emily Van Camp got the scripts with her fingers crossed that she's not got any romantic stuff with either Bucky or Sam.

Sharon played a significant role in the Winter Soldier storyline in the comics, but it was based on her very long-standing connection to Steve that she doesn't have in the MCU. She's still pretty much a blank slate for them to do whatever they want with her character. 

Everytime I look at the ending, I think, "Does this mean Captain America and Peggy had kids who weren't supposed to exist? Or did Peggy remain childfree?" Sharon was a great-niece instead of a granddaughter so I always figured that meant Peggy never had kids in her OG timeline life. I loved the idea that Peggy lived a full and awesome life without becoming a suburban housewife mother.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 4

Am I forgetting something?  Why is it assumed that Peggy became a suburban housewife?  All of the super heroes had their own homes, so who's to say that weren't living in a suburb of Washington DC or London while still working for the government?  FWIW:  I'm not crazy about the ending either.  I'd have been happy if we'd seen him get to take her on a date and get the dance they promised each other (before she married), then come back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I'd have been happy if we'd seen him get to take her on a date and get the dance they promised each other (before she married), then come back.

That would have been perfect. Unfortunately the Russos are idiots.

• Like 2