Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Spartan Girl

"What Do They See In Each Other?!" Worst Movie Love Interests

Recommended Posts


On 12/2/2017 at 10:08 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Honestly, I can't really think of any movie of Tom Cruise where I'm into a relationship he's in.

Ha! This is actually something I always say about Tom Cruise's romances IRL or on screen "doesn't he give you the impression that he'd rather be sleeping with a woman wearing a mirror over her face or an extremely realistic Mission Impossible style Tom Cruise mask." 

I came to this revelation about 20 years ago after watching a rerun of The Simpson's "A Fish Named Selma" episode. Gay, Bi, or Straight just seemed too normal for Cruise. It occurred to me that Cruise seems like he has some weird almost Troy McClure like fish fetish.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Willie in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was just insufferable. I realize badass hard drinking Marion is a tough act to follow, but couldn't Spielburg and Lucas have attempted to write a decent female character instead of a whiny spoiled pain-in-the-ass?! Though in fairness to Willie, at least she didn't work with Nazis -- so Ilsa belongs on this thread too.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Willie in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was just insufferable. I realize badass hard drinking Marion is a tough act to follow, but couldn't Spielburg and Lucas have attempted to write a decent female character instead of a whiny spoiled pain-in-the-ass?! Though in fairness to Willie, at least she didn't work with Nazis -- so Ilsa belongs on this thread too.

Ilsa was so freaking hot, I can understand how Indy was blind to her duplicitousness. And I'd have been hard pushed to say no to her, even at the end. But Willie was flat out annoying, and deliberately written to be that way. I'm not sure what the rationale behind that was, because it made it seem like Indy just hooked up with her because she was the only woman around.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Ilsa was pretty smart, too. I mean, she was quite the femme fatale intelligencer... she just picked the wrong side. Of course, she tried to argue that she was on the Grail's side and Indy had to slap her down with the fact that allying with Nazis meant she stood for everything the Grail didn't. She was an interesting foil and I particularly liked that even if you could argue that her motivations weren't completely evil, she fell to greed at the end anyway. I also liked that Indy almost did the exact same thing and that it was Henry Sr that recognized they had to let the Grail go.

I have such issues with Temple of Doom because, even though you can't count on a pulp adventure tale to handle things in a sensitive manner, I feel that they could have done so much more with the concept. And Harrison Ford is so fucking hot in that movie that it's almost enraging... like... this one? The shittiest one is the one I want to look at him the most in?! (Which is saying something.) It's also probably why my ire for Willie is so strong. "You don't deserve this scorching hotness, you utter dishrag!!"

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Ilsa was a really interesting character, especially as the woman in the traditional "love interest" role. She was very smart, a good foil to Indy, and passionate about history, but she was also greedy and very lacking in morals (the whole working with Nazis thing), and her greed proved to be her downfall. She did have some morally grayness to her, being heartbroken to see the Nazis burning books, and when she mislead head Nazi guy about the real Grail (because no way did she make a mistake like that not on purpose), but she was still, at the end of the day, too obsessed with the Grail to make it to the end. 

Yeah, no way did useless screaming Willie deserve Harrison Ford in his prime! I mean, her uselessness was practically to the point of parody.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Ilsa was a really interesting character, especially as the woman in the traditional "love interest" role. She was very smart, a good foil to Indy, and passionate about history, but she was also greedy and very lacking in morals (the whole working with Nazis thing), and her greed proved to be her downfall. She did have some morally grayness to her, being heartbroken to see the Nazis burning books, and when she mislead head Nazi guy about the real Grail (because no way did she make a mistake like that not on purpose), but she was still, at the end of the day, too obsessed with the Grail to make it to the end. 

 

Not to mention the whole fucking his dad part. Yeah, he was Sean Connery, but still...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/17/2016 at 6:23 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Pam from Meet the Parents: You know, I could almost understand not telling her dad she and Greg were living together since it is kind of embarassing, but she lets her dad and her in-laws pick on him ALL WEEKEND. Not to mention keeping Greg in the dark that she used to be engaged to another guy. She didn't even stand up to her dad until it was almost too late, and even then, Greg should have just kept on walking.

THIS BITCH!

I am getting ANGRY!

LISTEN!

Pam refuses to tell her parents that Greg and her live together.  She's fine with lying to them about this.  Ok?  Then guess what?

Within 5 minutes of seeing them she tells her parents that Greg quote "HATES CATS".

Greg:  I really wish you didn't tell my parents that I hate cats.
Pam:  But you DO hate cats.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh really Bitch?  Now you're okay with telling the truth?  Oh.  This Bitch! I CANNOT

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Yes! I hated Pam in that movie. Her parents too. But Pam is engaged to Greg and supposedly in love with him. But won't tell her parents their living together or stand up to her father at any point during the weekend. Why does she let her father continue to treat him like crap? I wish Greg had dump her by the end of the movie. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

THIS BITCH!

I am getting ANGRY!

LISTEN!

Pam refuses to tell her parents that Greg and her live together.  She's fine with lying to them about this.  Ok?  Then guess what?

Within 5 minutes of seeing them she tells her parents that Greg quote "HATES CATS".

Greg:  I really wish you didn't tell my parents that I hate cats.
Pam:  But you DO hate cats.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh really Bitch?  Now you're okay with telling the truth?  Oh.  This Bitch! I CANNOT

Her hypocrisy is unbelievable. She rips into all the little fibs he told and actually doubted that he took the MCATS -- pretty sure he couldn't be a medical professional without it, dumbass -- but it's okay for her to lie?!

This fucking bitch, man...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

For the life of me, I have never gotten Meet the Parents's appeal. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: I don't enjoy watching a somewhat decent person get ripped to shreds by some asshole (or in the case of The Family Stone, a bunch of assholes), and never get their own back. That's not fun to me, it feels like the equivalent of Genovese Syndrome. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

For the life of me, I have never gotten Meet the Parents's appeal. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: I don't enjoy watching a somewhat decent person get ripped to shreds by some asshole (or in the case of The Family Stone, a bunch of assholes), and never get their own back. That's not fun to me, it feels like the equivalent of Genovese Syndrome. 

Neither have I. The only thing that would have made either movie at least worth it was if we got to see Greg and Meredith tell off the entire family and their girlfriend and boyfriend before breaking up with them and leaving. Its insane to make someone go through all of that and not get to do that. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I actually do love the movie.  I just thought it was brilliant that @Spartan Girl picked up on how Pam really is.  It's the chicken and the egg thing at this point.  I honestly don't remember if I always thought Pam was bad or if SG was the person to turn me onto that! ;)  There's parts of the movie that are way too painful and intolerable (the fire, and the cat) but I pretty much do watch it every holiday season (and it's not even a holiday movie) and I have to admit that overall I just love it.

But Pam sucks!

I just read on Wikipedia that it was almost Naomi Watts instead of Teri Polo but they were worried Naomi wasn't "sexy enough".  God, movie studios really have their priorities in line, right?  How incredibly sexist and fucked up.  Women with actual acting ability need not apply!  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I just read on Wikipedia that it was almost Naomi Watts instead of Teri Polo but they were worried Naomi wasn't "sexy enough". 

Wait, is Teri Polo considered sexier than Naomi Watts? I'd have thought it would be the other way around and they thought Naomi was too sexy. lol But yeah, that's what is important about female love interests in movies. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes! I hated Pam in that movie. Her parents too. But Pam is engaged to Greg and supposedly in love with him. But won't tell her parents their living together or stand up to her father at any point during the weekend. Why does she let her father continue to treat him like crap? I wish Greg had dump her by the end of the movie. 

MY PEOPLE

Lissen - the movie works as a comedy, but on the romance, I totally wanted him to run far away from her and her family. Boy, you don't need that in your life!

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/1/2018 at 12:29 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Her hypocrisy is unbelievable. She rips into all the little fibs he told and actually doubted that he took the MCATS -- pretty sure he couldn't be a medical professional without it, dumbass -- but it's okay for her to lie?!

This fucking bitch, man...

Not to be that person, but Greg was a nurse in the movie.  You don't have to take the MCATs to be a nurse (I am a nurse and I certainly never took them).  They're the placement test to get into medical school.  To become a nurse (an RN) you need an undergraduate degree (either an A.A.S in nursing or a BS in nursing), not a graduate degree like to become an MD.  So he certainly could have lied about taking the MCATs and still have been a nurse.  I believe Greg says that he took the MCATs because he originally wanted to be a doctor and then decided he actually wanted to spend more time with patients so he became a nurse instead which is actually pretty cool.  I truly wish they hadn't made Greg being a nurse the punchline to several jokes.  There's nothing inherently funny about being a male nurse and it just reinforces the idea that becoming a nurse is what you become if you can't cut it in medical school.  Which isn't remotely true.

 

On 12/1/2018 at 1:16 PM, andromeda331 said:

Neither have I. The only thing that would have made either movie at least worth it was if we got to see Greg and Meredith tell off the entire family and their girlfriend and boyfriend before breaking up with them and leaving. Its insane to make someone go through all of that and not get to do that. 

I find the couples in these sorts of movies always kind of distasteful.  It always seems that the member of the couple with the family throws their partner under the bus, so to speak.  It also seems like the fish out of water is always the point of view character of these sorts of stories.  And while I understand that to a certain extent, I think a more interesting (or at least fresher) story could be told about the conflict between sincerely wanting to support your (maybe a little kooky) partner and wanting your family's approval, by making the other partner the point of view character.  I think a Meet the Parents could work if told from the Pam-esq character's point of view examing the obvious daddy issues involved there.  Maybe it wouldn't be the straight up comedy that Meet the Parents was, but I think it could work as a dramedy.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

My bad about the MCATS. But it was stilly pretty shitty of Pam to doubt Greg's word just because of the events of that weekend.

True she's been the one dating him the whole time and supposedly in love with him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, Proclone said:

Not to be that person, but Greg was a nurse in the movie.  You don't have to take the MCATs to be a nurse (I am a nurse and I certainly never took them).  They're the placement test to get into medical school.  To become a nurse (an RN) you need an undergraduate degree (either an A.A.S in nursing or a BS in nursing), not a graduate degree like to become an MD.  So he certainly could have lied about taking the MCATs and still have been a nurse.  I believe Greg says that he took the MCATs because he originally wanted to be a doctor and then decided he actually wanted to spend more time with patients so he became a nurse instead which is actually pretty cool.  I truly wish they hadn't made Greg being a nurse the punchline to several jokes.  There's nothing inherently funny about being a male nurse and it just reinforces the idea that becoming a nurse is what you become if you can't cut it in medical school.  Which isn't remotely true.

 

I find the couples in these sorts of movies always kind of distasteful.  It always seems that the member of the couple with the family throws their partner under the bus, so to speak.  It also seems like the fish out of water is always the point of view character of these sorts of stories.  And while I understand that to a certain extent, I think a more interesting (or at least fresher) story could be told about the conflict between sincerely wanting to support your (maybe a little kooky) partner and wanting your family's approval, by making the other partner the point of view character.  I think a Meet the Parents could work if told from the Pam-esq character's point of view examing the obvious daddy issues involved there.  Maybe it wouldn't be the straight up comedy that Meet the Parents was, but I think it could work as a dramedy.

There's some interesting stuff on the Wikipedia entry for this movie.  Apparently a lot of people thought this movie was a very positive portrayal of a male nurse in pop culture.  Yes, it's the butt of the joke, but not to Greg; he takes his career very seriously.  And they proved that he probably could have cut it in med school but chose not to attend.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I'm scratching my head at Teri Polo's appeal. Her one good role was as a married lesbian cop in The Fosters. She's been the bland and forgettable blonde in everything else.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

My bad about the MCATS. But it was stilly pretty shitty of Pam to doubt Greg's word just because of the events of that weekend.

To be sure.  Which why I think a movie told from a character in her position might be more interesting.  Or least I think it would be more interesting to see her stand up for her partner, but then maybe have that little voice in her head that said: "But could he have lied though?"  Watching someone who clearly loves their partner deal with balancing their family's expectations just seems more interesting to me, than watching a grown man embarrass himself.  YMMV.

43 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There's some interesting stuff on the Wikipedia entry for this movie.  Apparently a lot of people thought this movie was a very positive portrayal of a male nurse in pop culture.  Yes, it's the butt of the joke, but not to Greg; he takes his career very seriously.  And they proved that he probably could have cut it in med school but chose not to attend.

Not to get off topic, but I think it's both good and bad.  It's great that Greg is super dedicated to his career.  On the other hand, the movie doesn't treat it seriously.  The very fact that they make a big deal about him taking the MCATS has shades of "Well, he's a nurse, but he could have been a doctor."  Doctors are not inherently smarter than anyone else (I've known plenty that are dumb as rocks), nor are nurses doctor wannabes who couldn't cut med school.  Doctors treat diseases, nurses treat patients.  There are different focuses to the different professions.  Despite what TV shows you, your doctor is not going to be around 24/7 to ambulate you to the bathroom.  Your nurse is.  And when you don't look quite right at 2 am, it's the nurse's word the doctor is going to take (and probably take our suggestion on what test should be ordered) on that, so you don't drop dead.

I have no desire to be a doctor, never have.  I didn' even really want to be a nurse until I work as a secretary in an ICU and saw what nurses really do.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Proclone said:

To be sure.  Which why I think a movie told from a character in her position might be more interesting.  Or least I think it would be more interesting to see her stand up for her partner, but then maybe have that little voice in her head that said: "But could he have lied though?"  Watching someone who clearly loves their partner deal with balancing their family's expectations just seems more interesting to me, than watching a grown man embarrass himself.  YMMV.

I'm with you there. Maybe if Meet the Parents had been from Pam's point of view, her arc could have stemmed from her disillusionment with her father and her position as "Daddy's little girl", learning to stand up to him, and appreciating Greg warts and all. 

 

31 minutes ago, Proclone said:

 

Not to get off topic, but I think it's both good and bad.  It's great that Greg is super dedicated to his career.  On the other hand, the movie doesn't treat it seriously.  The very fact that they make a big deal about him taking the MCATS has shades of "Well, he's a nurse, but he could have been a doctor."  Doctors are not inherently smarter than anyone else (I've known plenty that are dumb as rocks), nor are nurses doctor wannabes who couldn't cut med school.  Doctors treat diseases, nurses treat patients.  There are different focuses to the different professions.  Despite what TV shows you, your doctor is not going to be around 24/7 to ambulate you to the bathroom.  Your nurse is.  And when you don't look quite right at 2 am, it's the nurse's word the doctor is going to take (and probably take our suggestion on what test should be ordered) on that, so you don't drop dead.

Anyone who looks down on nurses (especially male nurses) should be ashamed of themselves. I'm not a nurse (I'm not in the medical profession in any capacity, thank God), but I can tell you that nursing is one of hardest, most emotionally taxing professions out there, and it's just as important as being a doctor. The idea that people view being a nurse and being a doctor in the same way as, say, being a cashier versus being the store manager is just asinine.*

 

*Hell, if you prefer being a cashier and don't want to be a store manager, that's fine, too! My point is, don't be Pam's dad and judge people for their professions!

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I recently watched the original 1933 King Kong, and I'm sorry but Jack was a sexist douche. He's supposed to be the "hero" of the movie and the guy we are supposed to want with Ann, but there really isn't anything that remarkable about him. Most of the movie he gripes about women  and how they're just a "nuisance", and that attitude doesn't really change even when he falls for Ann. His exact words were "I don't like women, but you aren't 'women.'"

Excuse me?

I know the writers were trying to portray him as a "tough guy with a soft exterior" but there are tons of other movies, old and new, that do it way better.

The 2005 Adrien Brody version of Jack was a little better, he was just kind of a dull. Or maybe I'm biased just because I'm Team Kong, LOL.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So yesterday was Batman's 80th anniversary and to celebrate TNT aired a marathon of all the pre-Nolan movies. I know I rip on Rachel Dawes a lot for being a sanctimonious twat and a lame love interest, but after rewatching the earlier movies, I've realized that with the exception of Selina/Catwoman, NONE of Bruce's girlfriends were well-written female characters!

Vicky Vale? Reduced to a screaming damsel in distress. Granted, she and Bruce did have chemistry -- I love the dinner scene when they realize they both hate the formal dining room and ditch it to go eat in the kitchen with Alfred -- and she did try to make it work after she found out she was Batman, but of course she was written out in the next movie and never mentioned again.

Dr. Chase in Batman Forever? Supposed to be a tough, smart shrink and she winds up spending the movie obsessed with Batman. She barely knows him and yet she invites him up to her place for sex, only to realize that she's in love with Bruce Wayne, and from there she's another damsel in distress. I realize this was one of Nicole Kidman's early movies, before she split from Tom Cruise and got her own life and career, but she deserved better dammit!

How sad is it that Batman's most interesting girlfriend in either franchise was a either a damaged psychopath or a manipulative sociopath?

I mean, Babs/Batgirl in The Lego Batman Movie was a well-rounded three dimensional likable female character, but it was clear she wasn't interested in Lego Batman that way.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So yesterday was Batman's 80th anniversary and to celebrate TNT aired a marathon of all the pre-Nolan movies. I know I rip on Rachel Dawes a lot for being a sanctimonious twat and a lame love interest, but after rewatching the earlier movies, I've realized that with the exception of Selina/Catwoman, NONE of Bruce's girlfriends were well-written female characters!

Vicky Vale? Reduced to a screaming damsel in distress. Granted, she and Bruce did have chemistry -- I love the dinner scene when they realize they both hate the formal dining room and ditch it to go eat in the kitchen with Alfred -- and she did try to make it work after she found out she was Batman, but of course she was written out in the next movie and never mentioned again.

Dr. Chase in Batman Forever? Supposed to be a tough, smart shrink and she winds up spending the movie obsessed with Batman. She barely knows him and yet she invites him up to her place for sex, only to realize that she's in love with Bruce Wayne, and from there she's another damsel in distress. I realize this was one of Nicole Kidman's early movies, before she split from Tom Cruise and got her own life and career, but she deserved better dammit!

How sad is it that Batman's most interesting girlfriend in either franchise was a either a damaged psychopath or a manipulative sociopath?

I mean, Babs/Batgirl in The Lego Batman Movie was a well-rounded three dimensional likable female character, but it was clear she wasn't interested in Lego Batman that way.

Batman's love interests are basically Bond Girls. They serve the same plot purpose, most of the time, and have the same, two-dimensional characters. They're there to look pretty and be rescued.

The only real exception to that is Catwoman, the character who is most often portrayed as Batman's "true love" in the comics. If I'm being charitable, I think there's often an attempt by writers to contrast the sort of woman that Bruce Wayne is meant to be with - arm candy for a billionaire - and the darker, more dangerous and competent woman that Batman actually wants.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm surprised no one has mentioned all the MCU films, which are consistently terrible at a) villains, and b) romances. They got better with the former, but not the latter.

Tony/Pepper are easily the best of the bunch, followed by Steve/Peggy (though I know people preferred them as "ships in the night" that were tragically parted; a dynamic that was upended with the conclusion of Endgame). Gamora/Peter also seem to be reasonably popular, though Peter's man-child persona exhausts and irritates me. 

Peter/MJ? Cute, I guess.

But everyone else...

Thor/Jane? Meh. Scott/Hope? Meh. T'Challa/Nakia? Meh. Wanda/Vision? Meh. Strange/Rachel McAdams? Meh. Does anyone even remember Bruce/Betty? There's nothing overtly bad about any of them, they're just profoundly uninteresting.

And of course, Natasha/Bruce, the most inexplicable and out-of-nowhere ship of the entire franchise. It's telling that after Joss Whedon introduced it, the Russo Brothers/Taika Waititi barely acknowledged it in subsequent films. No one cared, not the writers, not the actors, and not the audience. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

And of course, Natasha/Bruce, the most inexplicable and out-of-nowhere ship of the entire franchise. It's telling that after Joss Whedon introduced it, the Russo Brothers/Taika Waititi barely acknowledged it in subsequent films. No one cared, not the writers, not the actors, and not the audience. 

I both remembered and liked it. It makes complete sense. Natasha is scared of the Hulk, but worked to overcome that fear. In the process, she developed feelings for Bruce. Frankly, the other writers not seeing that or bringing it up is a black mark against them.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Natasha/Bruce was interesting to me conceptually. It just didn't sing on screen. Or maybe it just didn't hit the right beats. Ultimately, I can believe that Bruce and Natasha do not fit in the long run (much like I don't think Peggy and Steve are well matched for a long term relationship) because there are differences at their core that aren't going to mesh, romantically, in the long run.

Ultimately, I think the scene in Ultron where she shoves him off the ledge as Bruce and he comes back up as Hulk solidifies that. Nat, for some reason, 'adores' Bruce but, guess what? He's not what's needed and she's going to do what's needed. Bruce already struggles with the Hulk to know he's not necessarily safe with a partner; that it's not up to him whether or not he needs to make that shift... well.

And there were nods to Bruce/Natasha in later movies... it just wasn't ever overt. Which I'm fine with.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I stand corrected. I'm glad it worked for people, but I still wish they'd pulled a Captain Marvel with Natasha and just left her romance-free. She already had a great atonement/found family arc. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

Well, I stand corrected. I'm glad it worked for people, but I still wish they'd pulled a Captain Marvel with Natasha and just left her romance-free. She already had a great atonement/found family arc. 

I'd actually have been happy with that. The concept of Natasha/Bruce was interesting to me but the execution SUCKED. I can dig around for bits and scraps but... meh. It didn't have legs. Not at all.

Asexual Natasha is far more interesting a concept to me to be honest.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

Well, I stand corrected. I'm glad it worked for people, but I still wish they'd pulled a Captain Marvel with Natasha and just left her romance-free. She already had a great atonement/found family arc. 

I'd argue that Carol has an awesome girlfriend, but that belongs in a thread about couples that don't suck. 😃

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:22 AM, Ravenya003 said:

And of course, Natasha/Bruce, the most inexplicable and out-of-nowhere ship of the entire franchise. It's telling that after Joss Whedon introduced it, the Russo Brothers/Taika Waititi barely acknowledged it in subsequent films. No one cared, not the writers, not the actors, and not the audience. 

It was 100% Joss Whedon, and I doubt anyone else involved thought it was a good idea (Johansson and Ruffalo certainly didn't seem like they enjoyed it, given the dreary, lifeless scenes they had together). Joss wanted to put his own mark on the franchise, by creating a new romance (he's done this before, when writing comics), and Nat/Bruce fit his obsession with 'forbidden' romances that can't work because one or the other is a sad, broken person who can't be happy.

They gave Natasha that great line of "love is for children" in the first Avengers movie, but never really looked at why she felt that. Was she a cynic by nature, or was it drummed into her by her trainers? Had she been so heartbroken in the past that she wouldn't let herself believe in love? Who knows? Maybe her solo movie will delve into that, but I'm not convinced it will.

And, connected to that, man do I not need to know what happened in fucking Budapest. A throwaway line, to denote a close friendship, that has been spun into something that fans absolutely need to know!! and must be answered in the Black Widow movie!!

Who cares? It was a cute line that should have been left at that - these people are friends and they have a long history. Why is it always about one mysterious event in one vaguely Cold War related European city?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I know very little about Marvel cannon, but from what I understand, Natasha and Bucky had an interesting past (I remember being told he was her trainer, but I don't recall if there was a romance involved).  As someone who really did want to know about Budapest at one time, once I heard about the Natasha/Bucky story, I became much more interested in that.  The throw away line they could twist to make that a thing was in Civil War when she said something like "Don't you remember me?"  Or "you could at least remember me".  But, whatever they decide to do with the Black Widow movie is fine with me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/24/2018 at 3:53 PM, Danny Franks said:

like Indy just hooked up with her because she was the only woman around.

Isn't that how it goes in Harrison Ford movies?

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Credit goes to @andromeda331 for bringing this to light in another thread: Aaron Samuels in Mean Girls. Think about it: he liked Cady but went back with Regina just because she kisses him at the Hallloween party. And he knows that Regina is horrible, but still stays with her anyway -- they only breaks up when he finds out she cheated on him. The part where he lectured Cady on how she was turning into Regina annoys me, because he quite frankly didn't have the moral high ground. Yeah, Regina is a bitch, but you were her boyfriend and you never spoke out about any of the horrible things she did when you were together -- what does that say about YOU?

I kind of wish that Cady had realized he was a spineless douche and not worth her time in the end.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Credit goes to @andromeda331 for bringing this to light in another thread: Aaron Samuels in Mean Girls. Think about it: he liked Cady but went back with Regina just because she kisses him at the Hallloween party. And he knows that Regina is horrible, but still stays with her anyway -- they only breaks up when he finds out she cheated on him. The part where he lectured Cady on how she was turning into Regina annoys me, because he quite frankly didn't have the moral high ground. Yeah, Regina is a bitch, but you were her boyfriend and you never spoke out about any of the horrible things she did when you were together -- what does that say about YOU?

I kind of wish that Cady had realized he was a spineless douche and not worth her time in the end.

It took watching Mean Girls several times before I realize how terrible Aaron is. I was mostly focusing on the girls. He knows exactly what Regina is like and clearly has zero problems with it. They never break up because she's horrible they break up both times because she's cheating on him. But they really seem to try and make him the moral high ground or something when Cady asks him why he's with Regina and he turns it around on her. Ah, she had a good point Aaron. Why are you with Regina when you know she's horrible? Why is he calling out Cady when he's no better? I really wanted Cady to ask him that question. But she doesn't because for some reason she thinks he's got a point. Maybe Cady but so did you. He had no problem dating Regina despite all the terrible things she's done. That says a lot about him. All Regina has to do is kiss him and their back together? Why? He's that easy? Up until that point he really seemed to like Cady. But one kiss and he's back with Regina? He really acts like he's not apart of any of it, like he's above it or the voice of reason. But he's not. Like when he makes a comment when the police are questioning him about the book being written by stupid bored girls. Ah, dude you dated one of them and considered dating another. He's part of it. He really needed to called out too. Why is he let off the hook?

I really do love Mean Girls. It reminds me so much of my high school. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Credit goes to @andromeda331 for bringing this to light in another thread: Aaron Samuels in Mean Girls. Think about it: he liked Cady but went back with Regina just because she kisses him at the Hallloween party. And he knows that Regina is horrible, but still stays with her anyway -- they only breaks up when he finds out she cheated on him. The part where he lectured Cady on how she was turning into Regina annoys me, because he quite frankly didn't have the moral high ground. Yeah, Regina is a bitch, but you were her boyfriend and you never spoke out about any of the horrible things she did when you were together -- what does that say about YOU?

I kind of wish that Cady had realized he was a spineless douche and not worth her time in the end.

He also wasn't that damn cute.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

That is not limited to Mean Girls. How many movies and tv series have the protagonist crushing on a supposedly nice boy or girl in a relationship with the mean girl or boy? More than I can count and I always wonder what this supposedly nice boy/girl sees in their boyfriend/girlfriend.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/16/2019 at 4:59 AM, paulvdb said:

That is not limited to Mean Girls. How many movies and tv series have the protagonist crushing on a supposedly nice boy or girl in a relationship with the mean girl or boy? More than I can count and I always wonder what this supposedly nice boy/girl sees in their boyfriend/girlfriend.

At least in Pretty in Pink, Blaine stood up to his boyfriend Stef and dumped his ass.😉

That brings to mind Valley Girl. Julie is kind of awful, isn't she? Like, I totally got her conflict, but she never apologizes to Randy.

Back to Aaron...yeah, he really is a spineless douche, isn't he?

Quote

He also wasn't that damn cute.

It's funny because apparently the casting directors had to be cajoled to cast Jonathan Bennett because they didn't think he was that cute either.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry if this has been already posted, I'm too lazy to read the entire thread, but after rewatching this last night...

Jeff Jeffries was AN ABSOLUTE ARSEHOLE in Rear Window, and Lisa was too good for him. I don't know WHAT she saw in him.

And I coveted every single outfit Grace Kelly wore in that movie.

Slightly off topic, I will forever clutch my pearls and wail that Perry Mason Raymond Burr was the villain of this movie.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sorry if this has been already posted, I'm too lazy to read the entire thread, but after rewatching this last night...

Jeff Jeffries was AN ABSOLUTE ARSEHOLE in Rear Window, and Lisa was too good for him. I don't know WHAT she saw in him.

And I coveted every single outfit Grace Kelly wore in that movie.

Love and adore Rear Window, but, yeah, Jeff and Lisa make no real sense as a couple. Doesn't diminish my love for the movie (and huge word on Kelly's outfits!).

I will never understand what Madeline or Midge saw in Scottie in Vertigo, but maybe that was the point.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sorry if this has been already posted, I'm too lazy to read the entire thread, but after rewatching this last night...

Jeff Jeffries was AN ABSOLUTE ARSEHOLE in Rear Window, and Lisa was too good for him. I don't know WHAT she saw in him.

Isn't that the case with every Hitchcock hero/heroine combination? I don't know whether it was the general vogue of cinema in the 50s to make the men condescendingly dismissive and patronising of the women they're supposed to love, or whether it was Hitchcock's particular hang-up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Isn't that the case with every Hitchcock hero/heroine combination? I don't know whether it was the general vogue of cinema in the 50s to make the men condescendingly dismissive and patronising of the women they're supposed to love, or whether it was Hitchcock's particular hang-up.

I don't know. I know that I LOVED Cary Grant's Devlin and Ingrid Bergman's Alicia in Notorious. But that was in 1944.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Isn't that the case with every Hitchcock hero/heroine combination? I don't know whether it was the general vogue of cinema in the 50s to make the men condescendingly dismissive and patronising of the women they're supposed to love, or whether it was Hitchcock's particular hang-up.

I'd say a little from Column A, a little from Column B.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So I still stand by my opinion that Blaine from Pretty in Pink was a giant tool, but after watching The Take's brilliant takedown of the Nice Guy trope, I will have to concede that Duckie was a jerk too. While I don't think Andie was that great a friend to him, it still doesn't change the fact that his  of following her constantly and badgering her and acting like a jealous jerk was inappropriate, to say the least.

HOWEVER...

Unlike many, many Nice Guys, he shows tremendous growth and selflessness at the end, showing up at the prom so that she wouldn't be alone and then encouraging her to get back with Blain, thus accepting that she doesn't feel the same way about him, letting her go, and being a better person for it. And is rewarded by meeting another girl who actually likes him back.

That's how it's done, folks!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎02‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 9:27 AM, Spartan Girl said:

So I still stand by my opinion that Blaine from Pretty in Pink was a giant tool

My take on this relationship is that Andie will go to college, meet some guy with interests closer to her own, and realize that Blaine is a major appliance and dump him.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

My take on this relationship is that Andie will go to college, meet some guy with interests closer to her own, and realize that Blaine is a major appliance and dump him.

 

18 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I often wonder how Blaine would have come off if he'd been played by an actor who wasn't an untalented charisma vacuum like Andrew McCarthy?

I honestly think the whole point of Pretty in Pink is that Andie needs to learn to love herself and gain confidence.  She has to learn she is not worthless because she comes from the wrong side of the tracks, and that her future is just as bright at Blaine's and Steff's.  Blaine is not a longterm viable love interest.  He is Mr. Right Now for Andie to grow as a person.  And yes, she will dump him just as soon as she starts design school and starts to work.  Duckie doesn't work for this because he has always been there.  Andie needs validation from others, once she gets that she won't need them.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/16/2019 at 2:59 AM, paulvdb said:

That is not limited to Mean Girls. How many movies and tv series have the protagonist crushing on a supposedly nice boy or girl in a relationship with the mean girl or boy? More than I can count and I always wonder what this supposedly nice boy/girl sees in their boyfriend/girlfriend.

This is late but that's a real good question. Why are so many "nice" boy or girl dating the mean girl or boy? That really should say a lot about them. It doesn't of course. They'll still end up dumping the mean girl or boy and ending up with the star of the show. But that's seen as great. See as the mean girl or guy getting what they deserve. That their own great boyfriend or girlfriend dumps them and ends up with the "nice" person. Shouldn't they be questioned on why they dated the awful person in the first place? How nice are you if your say Aaron Samuels and don't care all the awful things your girlfriend does? How great are you that you don't care that everyone has been personally victimized by Regina? Or your girlfriend or boyfriend doing other terrible things. Then they end up getting "rewarded" by ending up with the nice person? 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size