Type keyword(s) to search

Big Little Lies in the Media

• Start Topic

I'm pretty stoked that  BLL, VEEP (Best Comedy), and The Handmaid's Tale (Best Drama) are all shows centered around women.

I'm not seeing the media pick up on this yet.  In fact there is a lot of talk about Handmaid's Tale being the big winner but BLL has to be a close second.  I don't remember where I read it but one of these series had a director or a producer who had been a DJ.  Am I the only one?  I wonder if it was BLL.

And how adorably dorky was Skarsgard accepting his award?   The opposite of Perry.

She isn't allowed to see them. 

It has become bigger than that now that they are adults.  The declare her not their mother, not of interest to them etc.  So I'm sure she is simply not mentioning any of this heartbreak publicly.  I'm surprised people question it at all.  Don't they get the cult of Scientology?  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, QuinnM said:

It has become bigger than that now that they are adults.  The declare her not their mother, not of interest to them etc.  So I'm sure she is simply not mentioning any of this heartbreak publicly.  I'm surprised people question it at all.  Don't they get the cult of Scientology?  

She chose to go there by only talking about her two younger children and pointedly excluding the older two. If she didn't want it questioned, she could have been more vague and just referred to her children. Just because Scientology is messing with Connor and Isabella's heads doesn't mean she's not their mother.

• Love 4

She chose to go there by only talking about her two younger children and pointedly excluding the older two. If she didn't want it questioned, she could have been more vague and just referred to her children. Just because Scientology is messing with Connor and Isabella's heads doesn't mean she's not their mother.

I don't agree.  The younger children should not be lumped into the same category as two grown adults that tell the world she is not there mother.  It's unfair to ignore the children that do call her mother.  The older two made their decision.  She's just honoring that.  And she is not their mother.  They told her that.  They tell the media that.  She is no one to them. 

Edited by QuinnM
  • Love 15
22 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Nicole's older adult children have chosen Scientology over their mother and have said she is no longer their mom.   That's on them.  I don't think that means Nicole needs to be "vague" about her other two children. She is no doubt proud of them and doesn't feel the need to hide the fact she has two daughters with her second husband. 

ETA: Or what QuinnM said.

Edited by Desperately Random
QuinnM beat me to it.
  • Love 5

I understand everyone's comments about how Scientology has an influence over her relationship with her older children but I took her comments to be directed towards her family that was immediately affected by her working on BLL.  I thought her speech was more about how she can show the Emmy to her two children at home as a way of explaining why she wasn't there for them so much during that time. I didn't take it as she was talking about her whole family.  That's just my opinion.

• Love 12

To be fair to Connor and Isabella they have been indoctrined in Scientology since they were children and are now still young adults. Hell Leah Remini wasn't able to disassociate from it until her 40's. If you believe that Scientology is a cult than I would think that you would have sympathy for those stuck in it, especially ones who were forced in as children. 

I think Nicole is still very ackward with how she mentions or doesn't mention them in public. My guess she is praying for the day they can get out and resume being her children. I have no doubt Nicole still regards herself as their mother regardless of how they chose to live or acknowledge her. 

• Love 6

Slight update on S2 (nothing official from HBO)

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that HBO is eyeing a Spring 2018 production start for [Big Little Lies].

“We’re kicking around ideas and trying to lasso the talent [and] get the band back together,” [David Kelley] shared with us last week at the TV Game Changers panel hosted by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. “It’s just a lot of logistical things. But I’m optimistic because everyone wants to do it. We feel we still have storytelling to do. No decision has been made yet, but we’re hopeful. Where we left it, I felt like it did open the opportunity for a lot more storytelling.”

Sources say Jean-Marc Vallée will not direct S2

• Love 1
On 9/17/2017 at 10:46 PM, chocolatine said:

Did anyone else find it super awkward that Nicole Kidman talked about her two younger daughters as if they were her only children? Do the two children she adopted with Tom Cruise not count?

She doesn’t mention the adult children to protect them. They would most likely be interrogated/“audited” to see if they had contact with their SP mother.  Nicole understands how $cientology works and knows of their torture.  When the time comes that they want to leave the cult, I’m sure they’d be welcomed by their mother with open arms.  

Conner seems to be enjoying the celebrity “DJ” life and perks of being TC’s son in the cult.  No reunions with his mother anytime soon. 

• Love 3

When she was promoting Lion she talked about adopting the older children.  In her speech she talked about showing the Emmy to her younger children to show them why she wasn’t home to tuck them into bed every night.  That didn’t apply to the grown two.  I had no problem with it.

• Love 3

‘Big Little Lies’ Followup Is A Go At HBO With Nicole Kidman & Reese Witherspoon Back; Andrea Arnold Tapped To Direct

The long rumored second installment of HBO’s Emmy-winning limited series Big Little Lies has been officially greenlighted with a seven-episode order, matching the length of the first season. As expected, back for the followup are stars/executive producers Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon as well as writer David E. Kelley who again is penning all seven scripts partially based on a story by Liane Moriarty, author of the Big Little Lies book that the original mini was based on.

American Honey helmer Andrea Arnold has been tapped to direct all seven episodes, stepping in for Emmy-winning Season 1 director Jean-Marc Vallée, who will remain an executive producer.

• Love 1

As expected, back for the followup are stars/executive producers Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon as well as writer David E. Kelley who again is penning all seven scripts partially based on a story by Liane Moriarty, author of the Big Little Lies book that the original mini was based on.

Does that mean Moriarty is also writing a sequel to Big Little Lies? Because the first season ended where the book ended, so any material that she contributes would have to be new.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Does that mean Moriarty is also writing a sequel to Big Little Lies? Because the first season ended where the book ended, so any material that she contributes would have to be new.

That article says Moriarty had written "a short novella that picked up the story and envisioned what happens next with the main characters," and that will be the basis of Kelley's screen adaptation.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, wilnil said:

That article says Moriarty had written "a short novella that picked up the story and envisioned what happens next with the main characters," and that will be the basis of Kelley's screen adaptation.

Yay! That makes me even happier than the show renewal.

• Love 1

Casting info about four new characters for S2

Spoiler

• Michael Perkins, a new second-grade teacher at Otter Bay Elementary School who wants to cultivate global and social consciousness in his young students. Renata (Laura Dern) becomes furious when Mr. Perkins’s lessons on global warming causes Amabella to have a panic attack. (Poor Amabella can’t get a break!)

• A new employee in the school administration office who befriends Jane (Shailene Woodley). Eventually, the two women learn about each other’s “deepest secrets.”

• Bonnie’s parents, Elizabeth and Martin Howard. Elizabeth is described as someone who has passed on her outwardly Zen qualities to her daughter Bonnie (Zoë Kravitz), but ultimately reveals herself to be controlling and abusive. Martin is emotionally distant toward his daughter, but a family emergency forces him to address the strain between them.

interview with HBO programming chief Casey Bloys about Big Little Lies

• Love 1

Golden Globe nominations:

Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nicole Kidman

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Reese Witherspoon

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Alexander Skarsgard

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Laura Dern

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Shailene Woodley

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

SAG award nominations:

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series - LAURA DERN

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series - NICOLE KIDMAN

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series - REESE WITHERSPOON

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series - ALEXANDER SKARSGÅRD

Seriously, the whole cast was perfect. Even the kids were really great. I would go ensemble over individual awards personally. Though Nicole and Alex would be my standouts, mostly because of the storyline they had and how tense their scene's together were. 

• Love 2

Critics Choice Award nominations:

Best Limited Series
Best Actress in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - Nicole Kidman
Best Actress in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - Reese Witherspoon
Best Supporting Actor in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - Alexander Skarsgård
Best Supporting Actress in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - Laura Dern

Four Golden Globe awards!

Best television limited series or motion picture made for television

Best performance by an actress in a limited series or motion picture made for television: Nicole Kidman

Best performance by an actress in a supporting role in a series, limited series or motion picture made for television: Laura Dern

Best performance by an actor in a supporting role in a series, limited series or motion picture made for television: Alexander Skarsgard

• Love 5

Big Little Lies won four Critics' Choice Awards!

Best Limited Series
Best Actress in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - Nicole Kidman
Best Supporting Actor in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - Alexander Skarsgård
Best Supporting Actress in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series - Laura Dern

Meryl Streep joins the cast for the second season!

http://deadline.com/2018/01/big-little-lies-meryl-streep-season-2-cast-hbo-series-nicole-kidman-reese-witherspoon-1202268349/

That's some cast announcement. Has Streep ever worked in tv?

Although I loved the first season, I felt it was all wrapped up nicely, so I'm not excited about a second season. But I'll tune in for Meryl Streep! And Andrea Arnold is excellent. I'm delighted for the producers who made this show happen.

Edited by Kirsty
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Kirsty said:

Meryl Streep joins the cast for the second season!

http://deadline.com/2018/01/big-little-lies-meryl-streep-season-2-cast-hbo-series-nicole-kidman-reese-witherspoon-1202268349/

That's some cast announcement. Has Streep ever worked in tv?

Although I loved the first season, I felt it was all wrapped up nicely, so I'm not excited about a second season. But I'll tune in for Meryl Streep! And Andrea Arnold is excellent. I'm delighted for the producers who made this show happen.

This is HUGE!

Streep vs. Kidman???? I'm in! Let's see if Meryl can hold her own against Nicole. Heh. Seriously though, this may be my most favorite role of Nicole's yet. She was truly outstanding last season. I hope Season 2 is not a let down. 

• Love 4

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/27/business/media/reese-witherspoon-producer.html

“It opened a lot of doors for me,” Ms. Witherspoon said in an interview this past week. “People wanted to be in business with me as a producer in the TV space. My mission was to create television for other women, for other female storytellers that are actresses, other directors and other writers. I think it just clicked in people’s minds.”

Reese Witherspoon: serious player in the tv industry. I admire what she's doing. And I hope that newsroom show with Aniston is good!

• Love 3

Has anyone read anything about whether or not Iain Armitage will be returning to play Ziggy?  I've done a Google News search but found nothing.  The young actor has a big conflict with being the lead character in Young Sheldon.  I would imagine that one of the storylines for BLL S2 will deal with Ziggy being half-brother to Celeste's twins.  I'd hate for them to have to re-cast the part as Iain was so good in the role.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Has anyone read anything about whether or not Iain Armitage will be returning to play Ziggy?  I've done a Google News search but found nothing.  The young actor has a big conflict with being the lead character in Young Sheldon.  I would imagine that one of the storylines for BLL S2 will deal with Ziggy being half-brother to Celeste's twins.  I'd hate for them to have to re-cast the part as Iain was so good in the role.

Do we know that it would be a conflict? BLL is and always will be primarily about the women. If the second season is as short as the first one, there won't be that much work for Iain - maybe one week total. I'm sure that would be manageable.

• Love 1

Shailene Woodley, Laura Dern, and Zoe Kravitz will all be back.

Woodley plays Jane Chapman: While processing Perry’s sudden death, Jane is trying to build a new life for herself and Ziggy. Dern is Renata Klein: The epitome of control, Renata is now faced with new challenges in her marriage. Kravitz plays Bonnie Carlson: Bonnie struggles with Perry’s death and is forced to face demons in her past.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, scrb said:

Why would Bonnie struggle with Perry's death?

I would think the Nicole Kidman character would have the most struggle.

Spoiler tagged in case anyone hasn't seen the first season yet.

Spoiler

Because Bonnie is the one that killed him. That's why she would be struggling with his death.

• Love 1

Yay, Iain Armitage will be back as Ziggy for Season 2.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/yes-young-sheldon-is-returning-big-little-lies-season-2-1089357

Iain Armitage, who has gone on to star in the top launch of the 2017-18 broadcast season (CBS' Young Sheldon) since appearing on the hit HBO series, is among the latest (and final) crop of actors set to return for season two.

Armitage, James Tupper and Jeffrey Nordling have all closed their deals to return, joining previously announced castmembers Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Shailene Woodley, Laura Dern, Zoë Kravitz and Adam Scott, rounding out much of the primary cast. 

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, Crs97 said:

Meryl won Emmy awards for Angels in America and for Holocaust.

She also won an Emmy last year for outstanding narrator for the Netflix documentary “Five Came Back."  I had not heard of this, but it sounds pretty interesting.

Re casting, the NY Times also reports that

Spoiler

TV Line reported this week that even Mr. Skarsgard was expected to return in some way.

During my haircut yesterday, I mentioned to my stylist the news about Meryl Streep.  Good thing she didn't have scissors in her hands at the time as she about jumped at the news.  ;-)

• Love 2
(edited)

Since Oprah and Reese have become very close since filming "A Wrinkle in Time" together. Is anyone besides me waiting on the news of Oprah's casting?  I could see her playing Merrin Dungey's (detective) mom.  Or better yet I would love to see her as Bonnie's mom.  Considering what they have in store for Bonnie, the hints we got in the first season, and her backstory from the book, Oprah playing her mom could actually be really interesting and a nice mirror to Celeste and her storyline.

Or better yet, please bring Lisa Bonet on as Bonnie's mom!!!!!

Edited by JBC344

I'm thrilled that Meryl Streep will join this cast, and especially about her role!  Are we tagging things here?  Maybe we need a season 2 thread with spoilers?

Spoiler

I love the idea of her being Perry's mother, SO much to mine there!  Also it's back up for the female detective not wanting to let things go.

This is pure speculation, but what if Bonnie has a history of homicide?  Or someone died in her life that also had a history of rape, with or without her being the victim?  That could explain the women's decision to lie to the police, although I think there are other logical explanations that work fine.  (their states at the moment, not thinking clearly, etc.)

• Love 1

Meryl! 

Star Nicole Kidman on Thursday shared the first image of her new co-star on the Emmy-winning limited series-turned-drama.
"First day on the set with Meryl and 'my' darling boys!" Kidman captioned her Instagram post.

I can't access Instagram at work, but there's a link in the article to an on-set photo of Streep with Kidman and the twin boys.  It's embedded in other articles as well, such as this one at People.

• Love 1

I normally stay away in between seasons of shows I like because not thinking about them helps make the time go by faster, if that makes sense.   Now I can't wait for season 2 all over again.

Meryl Streep on top of such a great cast who are almost all coming back it sounds like, it's unbelievable.   The only thing better would be Alex haunting Nicole's zoloft dreams. 

• Love 3

Did anyone see the brief preview during the Golden Globes last night? I'll hide behind spoiler tags just in case:

Spoiler

It showed Meryl Streep asking Reese what happened "that night" and then a police line up of all the women in their disheveled Audrey Hepburn costumes.  I was hoping they would skip ahead a bit as I don't feel the need to have that night dissected for 8 episodes. I thought that story was perfectly wrapped up.  We'll see...

The trailer is impressive! I think the second season will be as cool as the first. But it is not surprising, the actors are the same and Meryl Streep will be added.

One thing is interesting, will they connect the second season with the ending of the first season? I mean the moment with binoculars, from which someone was spying on the girls?🙄

Edited by Friendly kitty
  • Love 1