Type keyword(s) to search

Big Little Lies in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

When Reese says play with "comedic actresses, dramatic actresses" I was....is she billing herself as comedic because I would think of any of the other 3 main as comedic.  But then they all went on about Laura Dern in Enlightened.  Which I had forgotten about and which I did love and was  crushed when it didn't continue.  Still I wouldn't call her comedic just because of that one role. 

I read here that Kidman and Reese are collaborating on production of this?  I think Reese has her own production company that buys rights to books etc. and that is how she did Wild.  Where does Kidman fit into this?  

Edit, in one video Reese makes it sound like they became friends recently/on set almost but in a Nicole video she says she and Reese are great friends.  Sounds like she is more friendly with Reese's producer partner who was the one that called her about BLL?  hm.  Apparently "they" have rights are working to get another book by the same author. 

Location looks really windy and cool/cold

Edited by Giesela
4 hours ago, Giesela said:

When Reese says play with "comedic actresses, dramatic actresses" I was....is she billing herself as comedic because I would think of any of the other 3 main as comedic.  But then they all went on about Laura Dern in Enlightened.  Which I had forgotten about and which I did love and was  crushed when it didn't continue.  Still I wouldn't call her comedic just because of that one role. 

I read here that Kidman and Reese are collaborating on production of this?  I think Reese has her own production company that buys rights to books etc. and that is how she did Wild.  Where does Kidman fit into this?  

Edit, in one video Reese makes it sound like they became friends recently/on set almost but in a Nicole video she says she and Reese are great friends.  Sounds like she is more friendly with Reese's producer partner who was the one that called her about BLL?  hm.  Apparently "they" have rights are working to get another book by the same author. 

Location looks really windy and cool/cold

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-big-little-lies-feature-20170216-story,amp.html

I had read a different article quite a while back but can't seem to find it right now.  This one covers a good amount of territory though.

• Love 1

Mmm, basically it says it points to a possibility that maybe we are seeing something real at the therapists.  Seeing how the show is all abut vagueness, red herrings and the slow inch by inch reveal...sure. 

We don’t learn new information in the therapy scene between Celeste and Perry, either, but their disclosures nevertheless feel revelatory and unexpected.

The more interesting mysteries are the ones we come to later: The irreducible contradictions of abusive marriages. The complications of parenting a teenager. Functional but empty second marriages. A monstrous husband who nevertheless seeks help from his therapist.

Who is in a functional but empty second marriage?  

I still love the Greek Chorus and since there really isn't very much don't know why everyone complains. 

• Love 1

It's interesting that Madeline's is in real life the most expensive, and Nathan and Bonnie's is pretty 'up there', too.  Locations, I guess.  

Is Renata's house the one the rich tech billionaire playboy in the first couple seasons of Revenge lived in?  That patio feels familiar and the article said the house is used in tv a lot.  

5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Is Renata's house the one the rich tech billionaire playboy in the first couple seasons of Revenge lived in?  That patio feels familiar and the article said the house is used in tv a lot.  

Yes, it did look like Nolan's first house on Revenge.  It was also Annalyne McCord's house on 90210.   That house does get used a lot.  I thought there was something familiar about it.  Nice catch.

• Love 2

Kind of weird anecdote below from Kidman.  

"One of the craziest things happened after we'd done a lot of violent scenes. When you see them in the show they’re flashes, but we needed to re-shoot them and re-shoot them so [director Jean-Marc Vallée] could get grabs of stuff," she recalls. "I couldn't sleep and the next morning I got up and went for a run to try and get some of [my character Celeste's] energy out. I came back and I'd left my key -- I couldn't get in the door. It's a glass door, so I got a rock and I threw the rock through the door. I'd never done anything like that. And then I realized, 'Oh my gosh, that's how much I'm holding all this in, the anger, the pain.'"

http://www.etonline.com/news/210649_nicole_kidman_confirms_she_was_once_engaged_to_lenny_kravitz_talks_working_with_his_daughter_zoe/

I can see having to do those scene's over and over affecting the actors. And Skarsgard is so amazingly good in the role I can see Kidman being kind of a big bundle of anxiety. I'd be curious to know how he feels after a day of shooting. That can't be an easy role to play. Either of them.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

That article is just quoting from the Net-a-Porter interview that I posted in the episode thead. I don't know why so many news outlets are secondhand reporting on that one interview, but if you google her name+kravitz, there are a million articles that are all repeating that one quote from that one interview.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:06 AM, Giesela said:

Edit, in one video Reese makes it sound like they became friends recently/on set almost but in a Nicole video she says she and Reese are great friends.  Sounds like she is more friendly with Reese's producer partner who was the one that called her about BLL?  hm.

I think Reese and Nicole became good friends during production.  So much so that Nicole bought a home in Nashville near Reese's.  Or maybe Reese bought a house near Nicole's?  At any rate, they both have homes in Nashville now.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Razzberry said:

I think Reese and Nicole became good friends during production.  So much so that Nicole bought a home in Nashville near Reese's.  Or maybe Reese bought a house near Nicole's?  At any rate, they both have homes in Nashville now.

Reese is originally from Nashville and Kidman is married to a country singer. Not surprised if they became good friends through that connection as well.

• Love 1

"One of the craziest things happened after we'd done a lot of violent scenes. When you see them in the show they’re flashes, but we needed to re-shoot them and re-shoot them so [director Jean-Marc Vallée] could get grabs of stuff," she recalls. "I couldn't sleep and the next morning I got up and went for a run to try and get some of [my character Celeste's] energy out. I came back and I'd left my key -- I couldn't get in the door. It's a glass door, so I got a rock and I threw the rock through the door. I'd never done anything like that. And then I realized, 'Oh my gosh, that's how much I'm holding all this in, the anger, the pain.'"

WTF?!? That's so wasteful, not to mention dangerous. She couldn't call a locksmith? Are all actors who portray people in pain going to start throwing rocks now?

• Love 3
14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

WTF?!? That's so wasteful, not to mention dangerous. She couldn't call a locksmith? Are all actors who portray people in pain going to start throwing rocks now?

Seems like bratty behavior.

• Love 1

There's a nice interview with Reese Witherspoon here, talking about the show and how she became involved, some of the choices that were made to adapt the story for TV (in particular she mentions a change made to Madeline's storyline at her own request), etc.

• Love 1

There's a nice interview with Reese Witherspoon here, talking about the show and how she became involved, some of the choices that were made to adapt the story for TV (in particular she mentions a change made to Madeline's storyline at her own request), etc.

Oh my, as if I wasn't addicted enough she says that Episode 6 is as good as any movie she's been in.  I'll never make it to Sunday.

• Love 2

Yeah, that struck me, too.  Also that she said she was partly drawn to the story because it had a twisty plot.  I hope so because finding out Perry is thrown down the stairs and killed for being the rapist will be a let down, for me.  

And I'm looking forward to that Vallee/Noxon project.  

You could always read the book, not that there's any guarantee they'll stick to the ending.  I think that's your only option, really.  I'm going to do that this week.  

You could always read the book, not that there's any guarantee they'll stick to the ending.  I think that's your only option, really.  I'm going to do that this week.  

I went to order it on Kindle weeks ago only to discover I had bought it in 2015 as a beach read.  So at this point I'm all about the show and I'll hit the book after.

I don't know how much stock I'd put in an article that didn't even get a basic fact like what category Nicole was nominated in right. Also, there's nothing better for clicks than the story of two famous women fighting.  (Unless you can add "over a man" to that title.)

• Love 4

Yeah, AOL is bad enough but if you click through to their source it's the Daily Mail, which I think is a strong sign of fiction.  I like how the AOL 'reporter' in the video is such a bad reader.  

Saw the guy who plays Nathan (pretty sure) on Hollywood Live Today (Mar 24) and he said two things sort of conversationally as he was talking about BLL - and they don't tell you who the murder(er?) is till ep 7 and that Zoe Kravitz sings in ep7 and he thinks she is a really great singer.  

I think HBO doesn't release numbers on shows, right, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard whether this series is a big hit or anything for HBO?  Wondering if anything can be continued down the line or once this series is up that's it, we're done for!

It would be amazing if somebody or Liane wrote a sequel to this.  Too much to dream for, I know.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Since they compare it to HBO's The Night Of, anyone recommend that?  

They compare the ratings but they are different shows. Different tones.  The Night Of is grittier. It doesn't wash its story in beautiful scenery.  But I did enjoy it.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Since they compare it to HBO's The Night Of, anyone recommend that?  

YES.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

They compare the ratings but they are different shows. Different tones.  The Night Of is grittier. It doesn't wash its story in beautiful scenery.  But I did enjoy it.

Totally.  But we thrive on diversity of tastes and perceptions, and The Night Of is one show I'm glad I didn't miss.

• Love 1

I recommend The Night Of - it's not "fun" to watch and nothing like BLL - it's dreary and suspenseful at times - but it's good.  

I guess the comparison is that they're both 1 season HBO shows, and very short seasons at that!  And murder-mysteries.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Nice of him to throw some compliments Nicole's way.  Her interview with VF is linked there and, once again, she only has kudos for herself and her ability to bruise.  

Did you read the entire interview? She praises both Skarsgard and her female co-stars. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Optimist48 said:

Did you read the entire interview? She praises both Skarsgard and her female co-stars. 

In this?  http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/big-little-lies-nicole-kidman

I don't see that part.  Maybe my browser is hiding the 'next page' cue? That's happened before but I checked it in two browsers. This is the last line I see- 

When I walked away from [the character], I remember thinking that was the deepest I’ve gone in terms of finding and losing things.”

I don't understand why Nicole Kidman needs to praise anyone. The interview (here and at Vulture) is about her experience. This idea that actors must be selfish if they don't always talk about other people baffles me. So she talks about her experience? So what? It means nothing except that was her experience.

That said, Nicole Kidman has always been incredibly gracious. It's something costars and directors often praise her for in their own interviews. She's also super respectful of the privacy of people in the public eye. I think that anyone who feels she's selfish and never praises her costars should read/watch more of her interviews over the years. 

• Love 9