Type keyword(s) to search

S22: Speculation: Rumors? Tweets? Who Will Be the Dancing Stars?

• Start Topic

Latest update from DWTSGossip (posted on twitter about an hour ago) is that Jenna will not be a full pro (potentially taking over for Allison) this season. This wouldn't bum me out all that much as I think her mugging threshold is quite high.

Oh thank god, I can barely take her in the troupe. 

Also wonder if this reinforces their other piece of info from a few days ago about an early season pro returning. With no Jenna, you would have a vacancy to be filled by an Edyta, Kim, or Ashly...

Sources are saying it's Edyta. Which, if true...!!! I thought she and Alec had sworn off DWTS many years ago. 

• Love 1

I'm watching the episode of Fuller House now that Maks and Val guest star in and theres a part where Jodi Sweetin's character dances with Val. She's definitely got moves. I wonder if this is a hint she'll be paired with him?

Jodie's had "moves" for a long time now. She used to do dance numbers--but more like modern & jazz than ballroom/Latin--during the last seasons when she played Stephanie in the original Full House. They never actually wrote mentions in that the character was taking lessons; every once in awhile there'd just be a scene where she'd perform with a bunch of other kids (presumably dance classmates of hers), like they were a dance troupe, for some reason or other--like when Danny, Becky, & the extended Tanner family would do a telethon or some other fundraiser for something in the show. My point is, Jodie's been dancing long enough she should be pretty good at this & hopefully she'll stick around awhile.

Here's an article about Paige: http://mmajunkie.com/2015/10/paige-vanzant-competitive-dancing-prepared-me-for-ufc-spotlight

I'm not sure if the above talks about her parents owning a dance studio, but I read it in several different articles. With a competitive dance background and MMA skills, she might be hard to beat. I didn't know who she was when I looked her up so have no idea about personality, likability, fanbase, etc. As always, I get to know the "stars" when they're on the show, with the exception of a few Buzz Aldrin/Cloris Leachman types.

If it's true she's partnered with Mark, I'm sure he's happy since he's such a big fan of MMA.

• Love 1

TBH I would be very, very, very surprised if it were Edyta. She and the show didn't part ways on the best of terms.

Because she and Conrad Green butted heads. She and Rob Wade have no bad blood. So, I wouldn't be surprised if she came back.

So as of this weekend we've got Paige and Mark, Edyta back as a female pro, Val potentially paired with Jodie Sweetin from Full and Fuller House, and Kim Fields from Facts of Life and more recently RHoA.

Kim's size possibly means that Sasha is going to get another shot as pro. Was his last full season with Snooki or am I missing somebody else?

I'm assuming that Derek, and Tony will be pros until proven otherwise. Not as sure about Keo or Louis. Peta is pretty much confirmed back along with Sharna. Have to assume Witney, Lindsay, and Emma all are too. Karina or Anna have to be big question marks at this point.

Edited because seconds ago DWTSGossip tweeted that S22 will be Derek Hough free. Cue the rejoicing or teeth gnashing, if you will ;-)

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Sasha tweeted "It's official" two weeks ago and some thought it meant he would be a Pro this season. How tall is Kim Fields? I've heard from three different sources that Edyta is coming back but that still doesn't make it true. I also heard that Sharna might be pared with Antoine Brown (?) who plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Evidently he played in the Super Bowl.

There's a lot of speculation at Pure that Derek will not be back and that Hayley Erbert will not be back in the troupe. She evidently changed her Twitter profile to read DWTS 21 which lead some to surmise that she didn't renew. They say that he keeps alluding to some exciting things. In one interview he was asked when he will be on Broadway and he answered, "sooner than you think." As I said, just speculation and nothing certain.

One of the Pros posted a photo of their rehearsal and Derek was not there. There were two new faces and one was identified as Kiril Kirlish who is a Latin champion who has danced on Broadway. No one knows if he's troupe or Pro.

Not surprised about Derek - he's been rehearsing a dance number involving umbrellas for Harvey Weinstein's Oscar party, he's absolutely the lead in the Weinstein produced Singing in the Rain show. (I mean, not even subtle, I'll be shocked if that's not announced soon.) The only way he'd be in was if he was going to be bored before it started rehearsals, and wanted to keep busy.

Hopefully that opens up something for Sasha. If I were a producer I'd be taking a look at Paul Karmiryan again, he's got the wholesome Eddie Haskell type look you'd be losing with Derek, and he seems to be doing good things with choreography lately. Will be interesting to see if maybe Tony drops as well and opens up another spot.

I don't really know Paige, but could see a Mark+Paige being a powerhouse contender, she seems like the type to do well in this show.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 3

I agree with you about Paige and Mark. She's a firecracker and a very hard worker. I just read that Derek is definitely out. Singing in the Rain is supposedly not going to be until late Fall though. I wonder if he has something else planned for the months preceding it? It's not like him to be idle for very long.

Here's a copy of the rehearsal photo:

http://www.puredwts.com/2016/02/10/dancing-with-the-stars-season-22-pro-watch/dwts-pros-by-andy-grammer/

I agree with you about Paige and Mark. She's a firecracker and a very hard worker. I just read that Derek is definitely out. Singing in the Rain is supposedly not going to be until late Fall though. I wonder if he has something else planned for the months preceding it? It's not like him to be idle for very long.

Here's a copy of the rehearsal photo:

http://www.puredwts.com/2016/02/10/dancing-with-the-stars-season-22-pro-watch/dwts-pros-by-andy-grammer/

That's from the Andy Grammer Kelly & Michael show rehearsal though, right? I don't know that I'd take it as confirmation of the pros. (For one, no Edyta, and dwts gossip sounds sure she's in). If it does mean something, it would also mean no Tony and no Brittany, and I wouldn't be quite so sure of that - Brittany COULD be out of troupe (she was almost out last season, after all) or there's a chance she could just have already agreed to the Weinstein performance before they confirmed Kelly & Michael.

Artem was photographed at rehearsals but it could just mean he's back in the troupe again. With Derek out I don't see why they couldn't give Artem his pro spot back; hell, ditch Tony and Keo and let Artem back.

Apparently, per his own periscope, Louis is back. Meh.

And now, someone else who watched it said he said he doesn't know if he's in, or not. Still, meh. Hope not.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 2

DWTSGossip is saying Louis is back https://twitter.com/DWTSGossip/status/703695174153539585 - He might be the one paired with Kym Fields (if the rumor on her is true).

Derek was on snapchat getting that cryotherapy on his leg. I'm wondering if Weinstein ordered him to take a pass for this season since he seems so accident prone and Weinstein would want him in good shape for the Singing in the Rain production. I saw a tweet saying they expected pre-production would begin in May for that. (sorry-I didn't save that tweet).  (Wasn't that Spring Spectacular show also a Weinstein production where Derek had to drop out early due to injury.)

DWTSGossip is also saying Emma isn't a competing pro (NOOOOO!). No word if she'll be in the troupe. Or maybe she'll do All Access. I couldn't stand the male host they had last season. Hopefully he's gone.

Really puzzled about Edyta. She just finished up her Dance Pros show run maybe a week or so ago.  That's her own production and apparently is doing well. It strikes me as odd that she'd return to the grueling workload and constraints of DWTS unless this is just a 1-season deal that she can use to promote her own show.  I've always liked her so I'll be happy to see her dance again.

Edited by Uke

Its being reported that America's Next Top Model winner Nyle DiMarco is confirmed.  He would fill the disabled slot with his deafness.  He follows Brittany Cherry so maybe we'll be seeing her as a pro this year

ET

Supposedly he's Peta's partner. And yes, they will likely win most photogenic couple.

The logistics of how he will pull this off if he is completely deaf is another matter all together. Be sure tears from CAI are coming. Maybe in week one...

Supposedly he's Peta's partner. And yes, they will likely win most photogenic couple.

The logistics of how he will pull this off if he is completely deaf is another matter all together. Be sure tears from CAI are coming. Maybe in week one...

The same way Marlee Matlin did years ago when she did DWTS with Fabian Sanchez as her pro.  She could feel the beat of the music, and she wore special hearing aids that gave her some limited hearing ability.  She also relied a LOT on Fabian to give her visual cues.

Oh, and a Derek-free season?  I'll believe it when I don't see him.

Edited by legaleagle53

The same way Marlee Matlin did years ago when she did DWTS with Fabian Sanchez as her pro.  She could feel the beat of the music, and she wore special hearing aids that gave her some limited hearing ability.  She also relied a LOT on Fabian to give her visual cues.

Doesn't Marlee Matlin have some hearing, though? Not that that changes anything, she was still at a disadvantage, but I was under the impression she could hear something (like a beat; it's unlikely she could feel the beat of the music unless it was bass or percussion heavy, which, for something like a waltz would be unlikely).

As far as I know, Nyle DiMarco is completely deaf. That's a different ballgame.

• Love 2

Doesn't Marlee Matlin have some hearing, though? Not that that changes anything, she was still at a disadvantage, but I was under the impression she could hear something (like a beat; it's unlikely she could feel the beat of the music unless it was bass or percussion heavy, which, for something like a waltz would be unlikely).

As far as I know, Nyle DiMarco is completely deaf. That's a different ballgame.

My cousin, who is completely deaf, danced ballet for a number of years with an all deaf corp. They put the speakers down on the floor so that you can feel the sound vibrations. There are more ways than just that to be able to feel a beat too but I remember that one.
  • Love 2

Oh, and a Derek-free season?  I'll believe it when I don't see him.

Same here. I wont believe it until the show actually starts airing. Remember when he got the part in the Spring Spectacular and we were told he was taking the season off? He popped up without warning on GMA when the couples were announced. I dont buy it. I'll wait and see.

• Love 1

Derek will be back at the eleventh hour with a ringer. I'll believe he's gone when he isn't there at the first show. I would miss Emma, but not her annoying partners. Did that Nyle guy lose his hearing at a later age or was he born deaf? That would make a huge difference.

The speculation is coming fast and furious on the DWTSGossip twitter feed. Now Louis is supposedly out because his partner got cold feet. Replaced by Tony (who I guess wasn't in the cast until this happened). Tony apparently has an NYC-based celebrity. Anyone venture a guess who might fit that criteria? Knowing the show's track record of giving him stars more on the mature side..

And Karina is in for this season too. No offense to the jockey guy, who had a great attitude....but if they are going to cast Karina, I want her to get someone with a reasonable amount of natural dance ability...

The speculation is coming fast and furious on the DWTSGossip twitter feed. Now Louis is supposedly out because his partner got cold feet. Replaced by Tony (who I guess wasn't in the cast until this happened). Tony apparently has an NYC-based celebrity. Anyone venture a guess who might fit that criteria? Knowing the show's track record of giving him stars more on the mature side..

A GMA host? ABC does like to keep it in the family. 

• Love 1

I was just thinking maybe this could be the year that DWTS finally broke Rachael Ray's resistance. She's passed on the show at least a couple times.

If it's Carla, she could be in the Macy Gray space cadet territory. That said, I'd still love the culinary world to get representation that doesn't come with the baggage that Paula came with last season...

One other person I'd love to see, who is actually NYC-based is Garbage Time's host, Katie Nolan. I'm not holding my breath though.

Carla would be great. She can be goofy, but I don't know if I'd put her in Macy Gray space cadet territory. She did come from Top Chef ... she knows how to get to work and compete.

Did that Nyle guy lose his hearing at a later age or was he born deaf? That would make a huge difference.

As far as I know he was born deaf to and to deaf parents. I only mention his parents because while he clearly knows how to exist and excel in a hearing world, his childhood/his home life seem to be non-hearing. Throwing in something unfamiliar like dancing could be a giant challenge, especially given the learning curve associated with DWTS.

But ... from a completely tall, dark, and handsome bias, I wouldn't necessarily mind watching him try. ;)

That's from the Andy Grammer Kelly & Michael show rehearsal though, right? I don't know that I'd take it as confirmation of the pros. (For one, no Edyta, and dwts gossip sounds sure she's in). If it does mean something, it would also mean no Tony and no Brittany, and I wouldn't be quite so sure of that - Brittany COULD be out of troupe (she was almost out last season, after all) or there's a chance she could just have already agreed to the Weinstein performance before they confirmed Kelly & Michael.

Yes that photo was from the rehearsal. You were obviously right about it not confirming anything. Edyta was in the Kelly/Michael appearance this morning as was Hayley Erbert who was rumored not to be returning. I've decided to quit posting speculations because there are too many rumors and changes.

In that picture from PureDWTS is Kiril the one in between Sasha and Peta or standing next to Witney?

Yes, Kiril Kirlish is standing next to Witney in the rehearsal photo. He was on Kelly/Michael this morning too so maybe he's a new Pro or troupe member. I watched his competition videos and he's an outstanding dancer.

There was some hint at Pure this morning about how people might be surprised with a bit of upcoming Derek news. I'm with legaleagle on Derek's status. He doesn't like to be idle and the Broadway show does not open until January, 2017. Also I think he has one more season of his DWTS contract to fulfill. He hasn't said anything himself about whether he will or will not be on the show. The rumor that he won't be has come from gossip sites and Pure.

• Love 1

There was some hint at Pure this morning about how people might be surprised with a bit of upcoming Derek news. I'm with legaleagle on Derek's status. He doesn't like to be idle and the Broadway show does not open until January, 2017. Also I think he has one more season of his DWTS contract to fulfill. He hasn't said anything himself about whether he will or will not be on the show. The rumor that he won't be has come from gossip sites and Pure.

I suspect he'll want to do a pro dance or participate in some way.  I can't imagine him staying away from all those tv cameras. I just hope they don't give him some inflated job like chief of choreography or advisor to the pros or other such nonsense.

• Love 1
I just hope they don't give him some inflated job like chief of choreography

If they have him choreograph the pro numbers and he does real Ballroom/Latin choreography instead of Mandy Moore's bump-and-grind numbers I would be all for it. 

• Love 9

I personally would like to see him come back for this season.

He'll obviously be busy for the fall season rehearsing for a January 2017 debut and then unless it's only a limited run, he'll be out next spring too.

• Love 1

I'll just add I'm actually indifferent towards Derek, but groan. Yeah between the Snapchat and those in the know snickering about how many will be in for a surprise...I'm starting to think he's never going to leave, ever.

• Love 1

If he's back, he'd better stay safe and not injure himself again - potentially worse than before. It would suck to lose your starring role on Broadway because of DWTS.

Broadway is a great thing for him to do and spread his wings, but I think deep down he knows DWTS every season is a way to show off your choreo for 10 weeks to millions of people.

He hasn't started rehearsing yet for SITR so i'm wondering if this could be his last season before he starts that potentially taking off S23 and 24.

(edited)

As far as Derek is concerned, I can take him or leave him. However, I dislike some of the repercussions of having Derek participate, so I'm glad he's apparently confirmed out.

I was hoping Keo would get who his partner is supposedly confirmed to be. Here's hoping he can capitalize on it.

Edited by kayma

Jodie with Keo is disappointing, only because I don't think he's proven himself to be a very good pro. TPTB obviously don't want him out first ... again. I would have liked to see her with someone else, but I guess this is his test? If he screws up with Jodie we'll know he just sucks at being a teacher.

• Love 2

I don't get it. Whatever happened to the old saying "3 strikes out youre out? It obviously doesn't apply to Keo because not only is he getting a pro spot for the 4th time despite never even getting past 11th place, they're rewarding him by giving him someone well known and with a ton of dance experience. 

• Love 2