Type keyword(s) to search

S22: Speculation: Rumors? Tweets? Who Will Be the Dancing Stars?

• Start Topic

I would've liked to have seen Jodie with Val and that's before seeing that clip of them dancing together on Fuller House today on GMA. I thought it would've been a good pairing.

I kind of feel the same way I did initially when I heard Alfonso was paired up with Witney. I wanted to see him with someone else like Karina, but the Alfonso and Witney pairing ended up being successful so I hope the same happens with Jodie and Keo. She's the best partner he's gotten so far so this is his chance to prove whether he's a good pro or not.

• Love 1
(edited)

According to the running tally at Pure DWTS, we've got five couples so far.

Paige VanZant (Female UFC fighter)/Mark

Nyle DiMarco (Model/Actor/Deaf Activist)/Peta

Jodie Sweetin (Full and Fuller House actress)/Keo

Ginger Zee (GMA's resident Meteorologist)/Val

Antonio Brown (Pittsburgh Steelers WR)/Sharna

Additional speculation in the comment sections over there have already said that Tony has a NYC-based celeb, and Karina has a "sentimental favorite" type.

Obviously the Jodie/Keo pair up is going to get the most scrutiny so far. Keo has always struck me as in it for himself and not necessarily his partners (although the Keo/Lolo dynamic was so strained and she was so in her own head I can't totally judge him on that first experience). The behind the scenes all-access rehearsal footage we saw from him and Charlotte just hammered that home. She had a form of dyslexia, and he seemed incapable of changing up his teaching style to help her in any meaningful way. Clearly though he ticks a couple boxes for DWTS and they desperately want him to do well. I'm not thrilled he didn't have to go back to the troupe for some extra seasoning....but I'll try and keep an open mind for the first few weeks at least.

Don't really know too much about Ginger Zee other than she recently had a baby, and I watched her do really well one time on Celebrity Jeopardy. Definitely not a traditional Val pairing.....but maybe if it becomes clear that she isn't bound for the finale from the jump he might act like he's having fun again. Like with Zendaya instead of Tamar.

I guess we'll see if Antonio is more like Hines and Donald....or more like Keyshawn Johnson or Jacoby Jones (who despite of a cocky, almost arrogant persona still made it to the finale). I think he might be more like the former's from what I've seen in ESPN and other sports media interviews with him.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

In fairness to Keo, the partners he had didn't seem that committed to the show or willing to work. I think Chaka Khan even admitted she wasn't into the experience? I don't know if it was because of him or they just didn't want to work. Jodie Sweetin does want to be on the show and has some dance experience, so he has no excuses this time. If he doesn't produce, he probably won't get a chance next season. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Pure has Marla Maples and Tony as confirmed. And they also said she's his friend and he's been trying to get her to do the show for awhile.

So, who is left? Lindsay, Witney, Edyta, Artem...? Oh, Karina, too allegedly.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible a female celeb dropped out.

Edited by CED9

I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible a female celeb dropped out.

Do you think Kim Fields dropped out? There were stories she was going to be on and now nothing. Louis was supposed to be on and dropped out. Maybe she was going to be his partner but opted out?

According to the running tally at Pure DWTS, we've got five couples so far.

Paige VanZant (Female UFC fighter)/Mark

OMG, Paige? I recall you putting her on your wish list and I never thought she'd do it this early, if at all. But it makes sense since she has a strong ballet background (and is basically the bubbly blonde Julianne Hough substitute they've been looking for). I'm excited to see her but hope these gigs don't pull her away from fighting long-term. (She's supposed to be pulling a Rose Namajunas and buckling down on her overall training after her major loss!)

• Love 1

To be fair to Chaka, she's part of her problem with SAYS was her partner ... so ...

I'm mostly disappointed Keo gets another shot, and with Jodie. I'd figure they'd have given her to someone that hasn't already gotten the shot he has. Lolo was a disaster, but if you can keep Chaka Khan on for more than Judy one episode (going on name alone) something is wrong.

(edited)

anonymiss, I remember us going back and forth about Paige in the Wish Upon a Star thread a little bit ;-) Pretty sure she's the first celeb I've ever thrown out over there and actually had it come true. So I decided I should get a mythical prize for that lol.

I think how comprehensively Namajunas destroyed Paige in the last fight may have forced Dana White and the UFC to pump the breaks on her career just a little bit. Namajunas was such a step up in terms of quality of opponent and it showed. An extended break before her next fight would give her a chance to go back to the drawing board and really improve on her technique. Most of Paige's early wins weren't really works of art (in an MMA sense), she just overwhelmed less skilled fighters by cranking up the tempo and relying on her superior cardio and work rate. At 21, she's still at the very beginning of her career if that's where her head and heart continues to be.

That being said, DWTS certainly could open up more avenues outside of MMA. She could choose to go the Gina Carano route. Every interview I've seen her give though, she seems as passionate about the fight game as anybody in MMA. Hopefully she has fun w/ Mark and DWTS and in some respects she can use DWTS as a breather where she stays active and/or an interesting form of cross-training, and then be ready to get back to the grind and preparing for a fight later this summer/fall....

• Love 3
(edited)

PureDWTS and DWTSGossip are dropping bombs lol.

Mischa Barton and Artem is their seventh "confirmed" pair, and right on the heels of that Von Miller (SuperBowl MVP from the Denver Broncos) is matched with Witney. Cue the inevitable, Witney gets another potential MBT winner chatter.

Sasha is supposedly confirmed now (with Kim F.??). Not sure where this leaves Louis if true...

Mischa will be interesting.....sort of a Lindsay Lohan lite reclamation project contestant. Glad Artem get a spot on the cast this year at the very least though.

Frankie Grande still seems out in the ether as a possibility for Edyta or maybe Lindsay I guess.

Witney getting Von does seem like she's getting another big name but wow at the height difference. Witney is tiny and I always thought that's why she lucked out and got Alfonso..but Von has to be like a foot taller than her.

• Love 1
(edited)

OMG Pure is confirming that Karina's partner is Doug Flutie! I know he is old, but he is so sweet and adorable. I have no idea if he can dance though.

Doug Flutie is 53...not someone I would call old.  He is a drummer so he should have some level of rhythm or at least can recognize the beat.   He also ran the Boston Marathon a couple of years ago so he is in shape and has stamina. Both of his parents died on the same day earlier this winter.  It wouldn't surprise me if he is doing the show because it was a favorite show of Mom and Dad.  I could see him going a long ways he's really personable, still good looking,  and if he can actually dance we have someone people like to vote for.

Edited by pally
  • Love 1

2nd season in a row Karina gets a diminutive partner. Hopefully Doug doesn't have the kind of memory issues that made it very difficult for Victor to pick up choreography.

Probably by now, most people if they recognize Doug Flutie it's because of his NFL analyst work and a number of commercials he's done post-playing career. Or they'll recognize the name from one of the all time college football highlight plays:

The two broadcasting calls everyone probably remembers are at the very end of the video...

• Love 1

This is turning out to be an interesting group of dancers. But please - no Frankie Grande. He's beyond awful and will suck all the air out of the ballroom. I would love to see Edyta again, but not if she's stuck with Grande.

• Love 1

Seems like we are down to just Edyta and Lindsay's partners at this point. PureDWTS's running tally post is speculating that Edyta's celeb may have specifically requested her (meaning they could be an older male celeb and a fan from the early seasons). For some reason William Shatner's name keeps popping up in the comments section.

As for Lindsay, the only two names really left out in the ether are Frankie Grande and the Bachelor guy Ben Higgins. Both would be a hard pass for me, so I hope we get a completely out of left field name to round out the cast.

I suppose there's always the possibility that they could cast someone at the 11th hour (like w/ Alek last season) and that might open up a spot for Emma or Louis but it feels pretty wishful thinking-y at this point.

PhD-Purgatory15, on 03 Mar 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

Seems like we are down to just Edyta and Lindsay's partners at this point. PureDWTS's running tally post is speculating that Edyta's celeb may have specifically requested her (meaning they could be an older male celeb and a fan from the early seasons). For some reason William Shatner's name keeps popping up in the comments section.

William Shatner?  That'll be the day.  First of all, the man is 84 years old, and more importantly, he's made it abundantly clear over the years that he's not interested in doing the show, ever.  In fact, every time someone asks him, he points in Jeri Ryan's direction, and she rolls her eyes in response.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't get it. Whatever happened to the old saying "3 strikes out youre out? It obviously doesn't apply to Keo because not only is he getting a pro spot for the 4th time despite never even getting past 11th place, they're rewarding him by giving him someone well known and with a ton of dance experience.

I'm not sure they're rewarding him so much as they are just letting the chips fall and saying "well, hey, if you can't get this girl past week 3, we can't help you."

They are still missing their usual hero they need to pimp into the finals. I'm expecting another veteran or maybe a cop.

I think that's gonna be Peta's partner. He's deaf.

Edited by CED9

I'm not sure they're rewarding him so much as they are just letting the chips fall and saying "well, hey, if you can't get this girl past week 3, we can't help you."

At the same time, Keo's been given partners that, on paper, should have done better than they did.

Lolo should have outlasted a handful of people (Michael Waltrip, Betsey Johnson, Tavis Smiley) on the basis of being an Olympian alone. Granted she was stiff and angry, but people have made longer on the same. (If Tony can get Kate Gosselin to week 4...)

Charlotte was always going to be an early out, but this is where we saw Keo not realizing any potential as a teacher.

And Chaka Kahn should have made it at last as far as someone like Patti LaBelle, especially given she was in a season with I'm-better-than-you Paula Dean, who-are-you Hayes Grier (who I actually ended up liking), who-am-I Gary Busey, and why-are-you-here Kim Zolciak-Bierman. Also, Chaka Kahn has talked about her DWTS experience not being positive and some of that having been due to her partner.

Giving Keo Jodie Sweetin is TPTB's play to keep him on the show longer than week 2 and they're going to succeed. TPTB will play it as "look, Keo is competent!". Except I see it going more like Allison with Ryker except 1000x times more obvious- of course she made it far, she's nostalgic, suddenly relevant again, pretty, outgoing, AND has experience. (That's not a jab at Jodie, I want to see her dance, experience and all. Just with someone else.)

Keo should be thankful someone in TPTB really, really likes him and gave him this season's jackpot celeb casting. I'm just not sure why, because hasn't proven to be someone they should want to keep around. (Unless it's because of his skin color, and then that make it even worse!)

• Love 1

Doug Flutie is 5'10". Small for a quarterback, but hardly diminutive. 

Poor Edyta, if that's the case. But she was getting some geezers even before she left, wasn't she? Now DH probably won't watch with me, he hates that guy.

Something has to happen for Emma, please. Is Lindsay a Pro for sure? I like Lindsay, but Emma.

(edited)

At the same time, Keo's been given partners that, on paper, should have done better than they did.

Lolo should have outlasted a handful of people (Michael Waltrip, Betsey Johnson, Tavis Smiley) on the basis of being an Olympian alone. Granted she was stiff and angry, but people have made longer on the same. (If Tony can get Kate Gosselin to week 4...)

Charlotte was always going to be an early out, but this is where we saw Keo not realizing any potential as a teacher.

And Chaka Kahn should have made it at last as far as someone like Patti LaBelle, especially given she was in a season with I'm-better-than-you Paula Dean, who-are-you Hayes Grier (who I actually ended up liking), who-am-I Gary Busey, and why-are-you-here Kim Zolciak-Bierman. Also, Chaka Kahn has talked about her DWTS experience not being positive and some of that having been due to her partner.

Giving Keo Jodie Sweetin is TPTB's play to keep him on the show longer than week 2 and they're going to succeed. TPTB will play it as "look, Keo is competent!". Except I see it going more like Allison with Ryker except 1000x times more obvious- of course she made it far, she's nostalgic, suddenly relevant again, pretty, outgoing, AND has experience. (That's not a jab at Jodie, I want to see her dance, experience and all. Just with someone else.)

Keo should be thankful someone in TPTB really, really likes him and gave him this season's jackpot celeb casting. I'm just not sure why, because hasn't proven to be someone they should want to keep around. (Unless it's because of his skin color, and then that make it even worse!)

I don't see how Charlotte would have made it farther with anyone else. She was incredibly dim and annoying. Lolo Jones seemed very hard to work with. Maybe Chaka could have lasted longer, but she was nowhere near as charming as Patti Labelle. I guess we'll see this season if Keo is to blame or not.

Edited by boyznkatz

IIRC, Chaka had a problem (as did Charlotte) with left and right. Keo, in rehearsal, used a bracelet (not sure who wore it) to help out. It wasn't worn during performance. In other words, the thing that kept her going in the correct direction was NOT THERE during performance. That's just asking for failure.

I don't know whose decision it was, and I don't remember where I heard this (I kinda think it was a press line interview). It just made me think, Keo doesn't *think things through.* He should have insisted on the bracelet staying in. Then again, maybe he did and they overruled him.

(Reminds me of when TPTB changed the music on Mark and Aly Raisman and took out all HER cues at the last minute. Not good!)

Charlotte was always an early out (like I said), but that's where we got to see Keo falter as a teacher. He wasn't able to change up his teaching style in a way to help he succeed. Contrasted with someone like Victor (Espinsoza), who also had learning challenges, where we saw Karina forced to find ways to help him learn.

I have no doubt that Lolo, on paper, was supposed to make it further than she did. TPTB didn't know she'd be hard to work with, but I also maintain that if Tony can get Kate Gosselin to week 4 Keo should have been able to get Lolo past week 1, even if based on nothing more than she was an Olympian.

Patti Labelle was a bad comparison for Chaka Kahn, because it's not about outlasting someone else across seasons, it's about outlasting someone from your season. And when your season is Hayes Grier, Paula Dean, and Kim Zolciak-Bierman ... you look at that and go, yeah, I'm probably better/more popular/luckier than they are. Except she was still out first.

Common denominator here is Keo. Other pros have done more with the same kind of problems, or even with less, which, IMO, is a reflection on him as a teacher and that's why I question his place as a pro. I'll gladly watch him dance with someone he doesn't have to teach. It's the same sort of problem I have with Allison as a pro.

Which is why I'm disappointed that TPTB kept him as a pro, but also that they gave him Jodie. Because when she does well people may look at that as a reflection on Keo being a good teacher when the reality is more that he started much closer to the finish line.

I think Gosselin had a pretty big fan base in spite of being annoying. Jodie Sweetin doesn't really have that. I don't think she's a lock for the finals unless Keo steps it up. I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out to be an Audrina Partridge or Sabrina Bryan. 

If Candace Cameron can make it to the finals on nostalgia alone (before Fuller House was a thing and nostalgia was in full swing) Jodie Sweetin will have no problems. Especially because Jodie Sweetin comes without the polarizing religious background (not that Candace's was really that much of an issue) and with prior dance experience.

She'll be fine. Definitely not someone out in week 1 and based on the list of her competition someone I'd totally put as getting to the finals.

I kind of go back to age and maturity in Keo's case. He's 25 which makes him the 3rd youngest male pro ever (behind Derek and Mark) and I'm not sure he'd ever had TV experience either. So, throwing him in that situation where he's just as starry eyed by the whole experience was just asking for trouble. He hasn't learned to dial it down yet, but didn't Mark get reamed for that for years before he simply grew up?

I guess I'm willing to give Keo leeway because he's just as inexperienced now as the veteran pros were back then.

(edited)

He hasn't learned to dial it down yet, but didn't Mark get reamed for that for years before he simply grew up?

I think that's a different, but related issue. I don't think Mark was ever a bad teacher, but it's kind of hard to tell because from the beginning Mark got people that were good dancers. His first seasons were Sabrina Bryan and then Kristi Yamaguchi, followed by an off season with Kim Kardashian, but then came back with Shawn Johnson. Mark's criticism was that he outdanced his partners, not that he didn't know how to teach them. But when he did that it made his partners look worse than they were ... which is an impressive criticism, considering he's dancing alongside some of the better (best?) female celebs (KIm aside, but even she wasn't unworkable) to be on the show. He's mellowed out enough to not get stressed about working with Paula Deen (and even mad an enjoyable routine?), so that's a good indication of growth.

That's a problem with Keo, too, but I think it's worse because he also doesn't know what to do with his partners. Whereas Allison outdances her partners, but she seems to be an okay-ish teacher (other than giving them things they aren't capable of, but at least they remember their routines).

I put them alongside people shown to be pretty capable from the start: Tony, for sure, and Artem, from what we've seen of him. Though with Artem he knew how to play the game from his work on Strictly, but I really liked his partnership with Patti and I thought we got a pretty good look at his teaching abilities there. But one thing that's always stood out to me was Tony's ability to make his partner look good, even if that meant simple routines and slowing himself down.

For me it's more an experience thing, and I think he got thrown in too fast. Let him dance in the troupe, let him watch teachers and figure out how to be a teacher before making him BE the teacher.

<edit>

This might be better served in Keo's thread? I think I'm off topic now.

Edited by McManda

Knowing what we think we all know at this moment, and factoring in everything.....this is how I'd rank my interest and intrigue for the pairings (in ascending order):

11) Geraldo and Edyta: Apologies to Edyta who I'm happy to see again, but I hope Geraldo has a short stay

10) Marla and Tony: Marla may be a lovely person, but even the tangential connection to the Donald turns me off on this pair. Not a huge Tony fan either.

9) Von and Witney: Something tells me these two could be a little like oil and water. The size difference will interesting to see if it visually affects how the dances look.

8) Doug and Karina: He's a pleasant, positive guy. They could definitely grow on me as the season moves forward.

7) Mischa and Artem: This to me is the mystery pairing of the season, because she's been out the spotlight so long and I don't have a great sense of how Artem will handle her.

6) Jode and Keo: This is all Jodie. Keo will be her anchor if his teaching/choreo isn't markedly better this season...

5) Kim and Sasha: I hope for Sasha's sake she's a ball of fun and energy. I want to see Tootie do well.

4) Antonio and Sharna: Of the three NFL'ers I think Antonio will be the strongest. He and Sharna seem like a pretty perfectly matched pair

3) Nyle and Peta: Just like with Noah, Amy, and Marlee....I want to see how he tackles the challenge. Hopefully he brings out Peta's more likable side too.

2) Ginger and Val: I watched her GMA intro piece, she wins the likability factor hands down. And from the rehearsal footage, she's got some skills.

1) Paige and Mark: Can't wait to see Mark on something other than teen or insecure married girl duty. I'm biased. I'm a Paige fan in UFC....I hope her personality comes through. She has a ton of self-belief in herself, I just hope that doesn't read as cocky/overconfident...especially early in the season.

If Lindsay is paired with Frankie Grande, they are 12th down a giant cavern...if the more likely scenario (Ben from the Bachelor) occurs, I'd go 9th or 8th just because they would bring the pretty along with Antonio/Sharna and Nyle/Peta.

I think Nyle and Peta would be the most interesting pair, although I really have no idea who he is. Being an NFL fan, I hope the three NFL guys get in the final. That would be a football dream come true!

For me it's hard to drum up any interest in the female celebrities. Either I've never heard of them, or they were relevant 20-30 years ago. It seems like some of them can dance though, so we'll see.

(edited)

A couple of late pieces of speculation over at PureDWTS:

Lindsay might not be paired up with Bachelor Ben after all. Some talk over there is that she could get someone from Boys II Men, who recently guested on the DWTS friendly version of Grease on Fox.

Also, Ashley Graham...a plus size or body positive model has some buzz too. She just graced the cover of SI Swimsuit and was recently in the news defending herself against some pretty tone deaf comments from former SI model Cheryl Tiegs. If she would be cast there might be some hope for fans of Louis, Henry or getting a new male pro.

Or we go completely crazy, and go for a massive cast of 14 (double eliminations required)...and throw Bachelor Ben and Emma in the mix too..

Ashley is 5'9', so I doubt it would be Louis. 

I'm sorry, but I have to say this. What is Ginger Zee thinking? She's got a three month old baby and a job, and now she's going to rehearse 4-6 hours a day and fly cross country twice a week? Last time I checked, 3 month old babies like to be held and fed a LOT. This is crazy. She must be really ADHD if she thought this was a good idea.

Looks like she is taking the end of her maternity leave seriously...lol. She seems to have a really supportive husband and mom, so I'm guessing they will help out alot. If she can do it, more power to her, but it's going to be crazy.

They've done the massive cast thing before and it was awful, so I hope that's not in the cards again.

Even though it's unlikely, I'm still hoping for a Property Brother, I don't even care which one.

1) Paige and Mark: Can't wait to see Mark on something other than teen or insecure married girl duty. I'm biased. I'm a Paige fan in UFC....I hope her personality comes through. She has a ton of self-belief in herself, I just hope that doesn't read as cocky/overconfident...especially early in the season.

Yes! I can't wait to see this pairing. Mark is probably my favorite male pro and he's also a big UFC fan. Maybe he requested her? She seems like she'd be very likeable for the DwtS audience since she's so bubbly and all-American, plus media-trained, plus will perform well given her dance background. She does all her interviews like an A student would, always obediently and respectfully nodding her head and smiling politely. 

• Love 1

Ashley is 5'9', so I doubt it would be Louis.

I'm sorry, but I have to say this. What is Ginger Zee thinking? She's got a three month old baby and a job, and now she's going to rehearse 4-6 hours a day and fly cross country twice a week? Last time I checked, 3 month old babies like to be held and fed a LOT. This is crazy. She must be really ADHD if she thought this was a good idea.

She announced her return from maternity leave (I think it's March 14th) on GMA shortly before announcing her participation on DWTS there this past week. In 1 of the interviews, I'm pretty sure she said her baby was already sleeping double digit hours per night (so that will cut down on the needing to be held a lot; it may also cut down on some of the feeding); she also said he would be traveling with her at least some of the time (& when he doesn't, I'm pretty sure Daddy will take good care of him at home; they may also have a nanny nobody's mentioned, seeing as her husband's also a broadcast journalist).

And I'm pretty sure Val said they'd be rehearsing in NYC (some or all of the time). So really, unless Val's schedule messes with things, she'd only need to be in LA over the weekends, for "ballroom" rehearsals & camera blocking, & costume fittings maybe/probably, & on Mondays for the dress rehearsal & live show, maybe costume-related stuff, plus Tuesdays whenever they might do a separate live results show.

And GMA only airs 2 hours a day, in the early mornings, & probably doesn't do all-day production meetings/take huge amounts of time, regularly, after or before the show. She'll probably fly west after GMA on Fridays, do her weather segments from LA on Mondays (or have a substitute do them, like now when she's still on maternity leave); then fly east after DWTS on Monday night, or after GMA on Tuesdays or Wednesday if there's a live results show Tuesday.

Plus, many of the previous (& current) celebrities had/have (some young) children & jobs/home bases & lives outside of LA & they made/will make it work. If they did/can, so can Ginger. I don't think it's gonna be as impossible as you're implying; certainly no worse than if she were sent to do a location story for GMA (which she may not/probably won't be assigned to for the duration of her DWTS run), only for a longer term than if she did a GMA location story depending on how long she & Val manage to stay in.

(edited)

I haven't heard anything at all about Emma. Maybe there is going to be a 13th contestant?

ETA: Emma posted on instagram that she is taking a break this season. 

Edited by boyznkatz

Jodie is my favorite right off the bat so I'm looking forward the most to her. I hope Keo doesn't disappoint with the choreography.

Ginger and Val should be good. I remember that Ginger did a little dance number with Derek before on GMA and she looked good. However, I'm afraid that she will be the chosen one this season and she will be overscored. Hopefully not because I like her.

Mischa and Artem seem like they'll be eliminated early. Even if she does have dancing ability, there's something about her personality wise that will probably not help her to connect to the audience and make them vote for her.

Geraldo, ugh! Couldn't stand him on Celebrity Apprentice and not excited to see him on DWTS.

I'm interested to see how Nyle and Peta will cope with his disability. It's definitely going to be a challenge.

Geraldo was actually a good journalist back in the 70s. He once did an awesome interview with Paul and Linda McCartney. I don't know what happened to him that he became a tabloid reporter and reality show regular.

I agree about Mischa Barton. I think she's the first one out, unless she has some hidden dance ability.