Type keyword(s) to search

S22: Speculation: Rumors? Tweets? Who Will Be the Dancing Stars?

• Start Topic

Is there much out there at this point?

The cast announcement on GMA should fall somewhere around March 7th....so I figure we are probably a month away, maybe three weeks until the cast rumors, and red herrings really kick into overdrive.

A couple early, early speculative articles have linked Rashad Jennings of the NFL's NY Giants to this season's upcoming cast. In the twitterverse, Alfonso Ribeiro has recently tweeted at a different NFL player (Carolina's Mike Tolbert) who is known for his end zone dances including at least one Carlton earlier this season. Also, the PenaVega's were directly tweeting at actress Italia Ricci trying to convince her that doing DWTS would be fun.

Beyond those three, I don't know of much out there beyond the uber predictable like the Bachelor guy or the ludicrous like Bindi's little brother being on the show at age 12...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Taryn Manning from Orange is the New Black tweeted #DWTS sometime last week. She is a little unstable (a few assault arrests) and also seems like she is likely a bit too famous for this show but who knows?

Teresa Giudice from Real Housewives (she's the one who just got out of jail) has a GMA interview, so people are speculating because GMA = ABC = DWTS = a redemption for her.

She's tall 5'8. She's like the prototypical Tony partner.

Just what we need...more criminals on the show. I really miss the days of contestants like Kristi Yamaguchi. Can they attract no one but garbage any more? I'd love to see them go after someone like Russell Wilson or Cam Newton. I think Wilson said he might do it if Karina was his partner. I'd go for that!

• Love 3

Taryn Manning from Orange is the New Black tweeted #DWTS sometime last week. She is a little unstable (a few assault arrests) and also seems like she is likely a bit too famous for this show but who knows?

Taryn was recently working on a film with Karina. Karina tweeted a pic or two. That may have put the thought into Taryn's head.

Not a OITNB fan, but I've liked Taryn Manning in her periodic role on Hawaii 5-0 and even from her Boomkat music back in the day. She seems like a spacey, loose cannon in a good way. Someone who would make the behind the scenes rehearsal footage an interesting watch.

The other lady from prison, if that ends up being true would not be cool. She'd give Kim Zolciak a serious run on the unlikeableness scale. And hopefully would go out in roughly the same place.

http://www.puredwts.com/2016/02/03/dwts-season-22-rumor-has-jodi-sweetin-signed-on-to-dance-for-dancing-with-the-stars-season-22/

For what seems like the 6th, or 7th season (at least) good ole Stephanie Tanner is in play for a DWTS cast spot. If it proves true, IMO she feels like either a Derek pairing or someone to pair with one of the least buzzy pro's (Artem/Henry/Keo/Possible New Male Pro TBD later).

http://www.puredwts.com/2016/02/03/dwts-season-22-rumor-has-jodi-sweetin-signed-on-to-dance-for-dancing-with-the-stars-season-22/

For what seems like the 6th, or 7th season (at least) good ole Stephanie Tanner is in play for a DWTS cast spot. If it proves true, IMO she feels like either a Derek pairing or someone to pair with one of the least buzzy pro's (Artem/Henry/Keo/Possible New Male Pro TBD later).

I think she'd end up with Val, by request. They're friends and Val (along with Maks) are guesting on the reboot.

Here's the original article that site copy and pasted from....

https://t.co/qhzqovR2cL

• Love 1

Uncle Jesse would have been a better choice. At least he's not some former drug addict.

Didn't he just recently get out of rehab? I digress.

I'm not particularly excited about her, but I'm kinda glad if she's finally on because she's pretty much been the first rumor to leak the last 4-5 seasons.

Even the speculation is predictable. A 80's-90's sitcom gal, the Bachelor, A "Real" Housewife. Eh.

You're right, I just googled him. Stamos is a druggie loser as well. I guess he still thinks he's too good to do DWTS anyway.

Never thought I'd say this, but bring Conrad Greene back. At least he could land us a star athlete.

Ugh...it looks like Rob Wade is going with more F-listers. Who friggin' cares about Jodie Sweetin. Uncle Jesse would have been a better choice. At least he's not some former drug addict.

Sigh!

John Stamos wasn't an option. He's already been asked and has declined, probably in part because he's too busy with his own show on a rival network.

Dominique Moceanu kicking off twitter speculation: 

https://twitter.com/Dmoceanu/status/695105298718187520

https://twitter.com/Dmoceanu/status/695096463500640261

I don't feel like anyone campaigning that openly usually ends up on the show, but I wouldn't hate it - especially with a Sasha partnership. (Who also kicked off some speculation about his pro-ship with a cryptic tweet about how "it's now official, so excited.") 

If she did it, I'd hope we also get to see her long lost sister, because that story is craaaaazy

Still not a lot out in the ether.

@KristynBurtt is reporting that Feb. 22 is the start of rehearsals for this season.

Jonathan Stewart (the RB from the Carolina Panthers who did the Hand Jive celebration after scoring his Super Bowl TD) was tweeting at DWTS yesterday trying to get noticed.

Carrie Ann was asked some of the people she wanted to see, and she listed Kylie Jenner, The Property Bros, Carrie Fisher, Betty White, & Terry Bradshaw in an Examiner article. I'd pass on all of them but acknowledge that Bradshaw would at least have some potential as a hybrid Engvall/Chong older male contestant with some humor.

Some rando British model (Amy Willerton) was also trying to drum up some support for herself on twitter a few days ago too.

Still not a lot out in the ether.

@KristynBurtt is reporting that Feb. 22 is the start of rehearsals for this season.

Jonathan Stewart (the RB from the Carolina Panthers who did the Hand Jive celebration after scoring his Super Bowl TD) was tweeting at DWTS yesterday trying to get noticed.

Carrie Ann was asked some of the people she wanted to see, and she listed Kylie Jenner, The Property Bros, Carrie Fisher, Betty White, & Terry Bradshaw in an Examiner article. I'd pass on all of them but acknowledge that Bradshaw would at least have some potential as a hybrid Engvall/Chong older male contestant with some humor.

Some rando British model (Amy Willerton) was also trying to drum up some support for herself on twitter a few days ago too.

CAI is being ridiculous, as usual.  Betty White is 94. Yes, she's sprite for her age, but.really??  No to any more Kardashians/Jenners, and Kylie just seems...dull.  One of the property brothers might be fun - both would be too confusing I think since it's so hard to tell them apart.  Fisher and Bradshaw I wouldn't mind.

• Love 2

CAI is being ridiculous, as usual.  Betty White is 94. Yes, she's sprite for her age, but.really?? 

She's also already been asked many times to do the show, and she's repeatedly said no because she doesn't feel that she can represent her age bracket any better than Cloris Leachman did years ago.  What part of "no" does Carrie Ann not understand?

• Love 4

She's also already been asked many times to do the show, and she's repeatedly said no because she doesn't feel that she can represent her age bracket any better than Cloris Leachman did years ago.  What part of "no" does Carrie Ann not understand?

Core concept? [/Archer]

• Love 2

I think Terry Bradshaw from what I saw of him at the Superbowl is recovering from Knee Replacement Surgery and still visibly limping.

In addition to that, Terry Bradshaw has some serious memory (or lack there of) issues.  I don't think he could ever pick up and remember the choreography.

How about Jeff Gordan?  He's no longer racing, he might be looking for something to do in addition to announcing.

Per TMZ: Scott Disick: I'll Dance With The Stars - For $500K.

To which I say NO NO NO NO NO HECK NO! The only one of the extended Kardashian/Jenner crew I'd be okay with would be Caitlyn. All the rest can stay away. 

After the Super Bowl, I thought Peyton Manning would be a slam dunk if he decided to retire this spring. I'm not so sure now, though.

I won't be surprised to see someone else from the Grease Live cast. Not sure who, though.

Edited by Sister Havana

Scott's the best part of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, so ... I don't think that would be the worst thing in the world. Of course, that depends on if he actually tries. If not, he might as well pass. I don't agree with the half-mil price tag, though.

As far as a Grease Live! alum ... I vote for Jordan Fisher. He was adorable, he's got Disney ties, plus of the cast he's the only one that doesn't have massive musical theater experience. Aaron Tveit, Vanessa Hudgens, and Keke Palmer just seem like ... too ringer-y?

I hope the TMZ story is accurate. First, if they give Scott $500k, they'd have to offer the same to all the others that they've already signed (and in the future).  I don't see DWTS doing that especially for someone who isn't much of a great catch.  So let Scott stick to his demand and let DWTS continue to say no.

Second, and to me more importantly, Scott's got a well-documented substance abuse problem. I don't think it's the pro's job to help straighten him out or put herself at risk with someone who may very well be under the influence.  Scott's been in and out of rehab and keeps relapsing.  My opinion is, no DWTS for Scott until he can stay off the bottle.

• Love 1

I've not watched much of DWTS, just the first few seasons and the last two or three. But I do watch Strictly Come Dancing in the UK and the one big difference in the casting I noticed is that DWTS doesn't seem to have a lot of working TV actors or presenters. Is there a reason for that?

In part because of their schedules combined with the shows rehearsal and live show schedule.  In part because they don't need the extra publicity and injury risk.  In part because of contracts that prevent them from appearing on rival netwarks.  In part because DWTS has casted the show with too many C, D, and where is the list stars.  Its become a place where the "where have the gone" stars come to be found again and the "who are they stars" come to be found for the first time.

Well I wouldn't call people like Emmitt Smith or Nicole Schwerzinger "D list." They have had a few big names in the past. Maybe not Brad Pitt, but still people who were popular. Even recently they had Meryl and Charlie, who were Olympic champions. Now they are just scraping the bottom of the barrel. Unless they want to get cancelled, they need to get someone people would actually be interested in. 

• Love 1

Dominique Moceanu kicking off twitter speculation:

https://twitter.com/Dmoceanu/status/695105298718187520

https://twitter.com/Dmoceanu/status/695096463500640261

I don't feel like anyone campaigning that openly usually ends up on the show, but I wouldn't hate it - especially with a Sasha partnership. (Who also kicked off some speculation about his pro-ship with a cryptic tweet about how "it's now official, so excited.")

If she did it, I'd hope we also get to see her long lost sister, because

Quoting myself, because Jen Bricker, Domenique's sister, turned up in Derek's snapchat today. Seems like a dumb move if it's any sort of cast reveal hint, but made me go hmmmmmm. A small chance it points to Domenique involvement, maybe he didn't think anyone would recognize her? (I wouldn't want him with another gymnast, for the same reason I'm rolling my eyes at the thought of Val with another actress, but Derek and Sasha are super close so it doesn't rule out my Sasha hopes for this season. Derek also recently revealed he's team #SashaForPro)

In other speculation, the DWTSgossip twitter account has pointed towards a few blinds about Super Bowl MVP Von Miller, as well as some female MMA fighter. Not necessarily strong leads, but something to throw out there. Sounds like Jodi Sweetin is basically confirmed, even though I think she's still attempting to be cagey about it.

Edited by kitcloudkicker

Paige Van Zant is the female UFC fighter speculated about. I'll humble brag that I threw her name out as a possibility in the Wish Upon a Star Thread. If it comes true, I win a prize lol.

She (and a 19 year old male fighter named Sage Northcutt) are seen as having the full weight of the UFC hype machine behind them even with each of them losing their most recent fights. I'm sure the creative branding opportunity DWTS would provide for Page and female MMA more broadly isn't lost on Dana White.

Somewhere on the Internet is a video clip of Page freestyle hip hop dancing. It might be a promotion for Adidas. Not quite SYTYCD worthy, but not bad either. She could definitely surprise some people is she is cast, and if she avoids Keo as her pro.

• Love 1

So, according to Pure DWTS and DWTSGossip on twitter...Antonio Brown (an excellent WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers) started following both the official DWTS twitter page and Sharna's own personal page yesterday or this morning.

That's at least four NFL players (and one MMA fighter) with some legitimate speculation around them...it may be an athlete heavy season after all...

Weird I haven't heard of Antonio Brown, being sort of a football fan. I did google him though, and he does seem like an interesting contestant. I would rather see a bigger star like Russell Wilson though. The wrestlers I could care less about, meh. I really hope Derek sits out the season and takes Val and Sharna with him. And please don't come back, Maks. Dominique Moceanu would be okay, I guess. I haven't heard anything about her in years. I really hope we get someone better than the names being tossed around.

Today's speculation is from DWTSGossip. They are saying that one of the pro's will be returning from an "early" season. No gender specified yet though.

Some names to think about would be Ashly Costa, Chelsie, Lacey, Edyta, Jonathan...

If the speculation about the Super Bowl MVP happens to be right, Von Miller is about 6'3...so Anna D. might also be a possibility. She won a fan vote one year, and was one and done with Michael Irvin, another tall football player.

I may be proven wrong but I do not see Von Miller joining the cast.  Rehearsing for a dance show in the middle of his free agency is not really the way to show any potential team that his sport is his priority

Pally, you could be right. That is something he would have to weigh before committing this season.

But Miller is coming off one of the most dominant playoff runs by a defensive player ever....and he's still pretty much in the prime of his career. I'm not sure a stint on DWTS would turn that many teams away. Besides, if the Broncos can't get a multi-year career contract finalized with him....they'll almost certainly use the franchise player tag (I'm 99.99% sure) and lock him up for next season to give them more time to get an long-term deal completed.

Now if he would choose to do the show without having a contract signed, and he injures himself at some point in the season...he for sure could lose out on bonus or incentive money should he not be at 100% going into training camp or the OTAs that come before that. Pretty much any active NFL'er who has joined DWTS (Hines Ward, Donald Driver, Warren Sapp etc.) has taken that risk because of the athletic challenge and/or brand visibility DWTS provides.

Any of the previous active players were at the end of their careers except Jacoby Jones and he simply didn't perform post DWTS.  Von is at his prime and it would be stupid to risk injury at this point of his.  BUt like I said, I could be proven wrong.

http://www.etonline.com/news/183127_kim_fields_confirmed_for_dancing_with_the_stars_season_22/

Out of the main scoop twitter feeds and sites, so far only @DWTSGossip is running this. But it would be the first "confirmation" article of any kind referring to this season's stars.

She'd cover two quotas that DWTS likes to have covered, she was a  child/teen star from a nostalgia sitcom....and now she's on the cast of Real Housewives (of Atlanta)...

**Also according to @DWTSGossip and Paige Van Zant's official twitter she's currently in LA for "training and photo shoots", so make of that convenient info what you will :-)

• Love 1

Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson wasn't near the end of NFL career when he appeared on DWTS. I'm not sure how long after he appeared that he left the Bengals to play for the Patriots.

he appeared on DWTS in 2010 and only played 2 more seasons.  The last season with NE he appeared in less than 5 games. 

Any of the previous active players were at the end of their careers except Jacoby Jones and he simply didn't perform post DWTS. Von is at his prime and it would be stupid to risk injury at this point of his. BUt like I said, I could be proven wrong.

Didn't Jacoby have knee surgery right before the show, and then almost immediately reinjure it during the season? Don't think the show had anything to do with it.

Latest update from DWTSGossip (posted on twitter about an hour ago) is that Jenna will not be a full pro (potentially taking over for Allison) this season. This wouldn't bum me out all that much as I think her mugging threshold is quite high.

Also wonder if this reinforces their other piece of info from a few days ago about an early season pro returning. With no Jenna, you would have a vacancy to be filled by an Edyta, Kim, or Ashly...