Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

Interview with Jackson:

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-42-jackson-fox-premiere-interview/

JACKSON FOX: I'd gotten on medication for my mom so I could start sleeping. It was lithium, and everybody gets that fear. I had a fear of it, because I'd never been on medication in my life. And I I'd been on it for about three years. When I got contacted by Survivor, I was starting to wean off of it and I thought, "Well, I'll be off of that before I get on the game." Unfortunately, I was on the tail end of it when I got on Survivor.

And, of course, they do the medical background. They're sitting there with you and the doctor, and she goes, "You're on lithium?" And I was like "Yeah, but I've got, like, two doses left," and she's like, "Oh boy. So we kinda have to be a little careful with it because of dehydration, and we can't send blood out to get tested because of COVID. We'll just see what we can do."

Apparently he was having dehydration issues out there and feeling dizzy, so odds are this likely would have been a problem for him if he stayed in the game.  I'm still somewhat skeptical they let him in because they didn't have another choice, and didn't want to seriously re-arrange the game dynamics at the last minute, but knew they'd be pulling him.  He mentioned that Jeff was respectful, and he was glad he could tell his story to take the stigma away from taking medications for mental health reasons, and that the show didn't let him stay out there for the sake of the story.  Which again makes me skeptical that this wasn't all planned.  

On his dad watching the show last night:

Did your dad watch the episode last night? And, if so, have you had a chance to chat with him about it?

He did. And he cried. It's hard to talk about my mom with my dad. They were together when they were 15 and she passed away at 74. So they were together that entire time. And so he had not seen those pictures yet and didn't know. I'd put those pictures out there and he's like, "Your mother's beautiful and you're beautiful, and look what you did. You showed our relationship in such a positive way when it could have come off very negative." And I was like, "Well, I don't see it that way. I see it as growing. And I meant those exact words."

He said, "I feel horrible that you were away for 10 years." And I was like, "I don't, because I came back when I was supposed to, when you were ready to accept me for who I was. That's when we were supposed to come back." And he held my head and he cried. And that to me was worth going on Survivor for any day of the week. That was worth it.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

An exit interview from Zach

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-42-zach-wurtenberger-premiere-interview/

Apparently this was Drea's lie when she came back from Risk Your Vote/Protect Your Vote Island:

"Okay guys, they had this big hike. We walked all the way up the hike. And then we went all the way down the hike. And that was it."

It sounds like they didn't think too much of the fake blood from the first RC.  He said Tori would have gone home had his shot in the dark saved him.

• Useful 1
36 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Paramount+ is doing a new version of The Challenge with former CBS reality show participants and several Survivors are potentially in the cast. Here's the current cast, which that site says is subject to change since it includes alternates.

There are a couple of versions of the list floating around, but both lists overlap.  So many of the Survivor players….Shan?  Really?   Ben?  Tyson (although ten years ago…)?

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Paramount+ is doing a new version of The Challenge with former CBS reality show participants and several Survivors are potentially in the cast. Here's the current cast, which that site says is subject to change since it includes alternates.

A lot of pretty people...

Is being on these shows Tyson's career?  Or is he doing something else?

Will this be on CBS or on one of those special channels?

Edited by treeofdreams

Isn't Love Island moving from CBS to NBC?  I didn't think anyone from that show would be included.

Interesting list.  I don't know if I'm surprised or not by the choices, especially for Survivor.  Some of these seem random.  

Edited by LadyChatts
41 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

A lot of pretty people...

Is being on these shows Tyson's career?  Or is he doing something else?

Will this be on CBS or on one of those special channels?

Pretty sure the show and podcasting are Tysons career. He likes being home with his daughters.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I might actually sign up for Paramount+ for the chance to see Desi from HvHvH again 🥰

(I won't, though.)

7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I have absolutely no recollection of Desi.

I found her rather striking.

news_092717_desiree-willams-1_color.jpg

c4f560e5e609b472076e437d74dbe21a.jpg

Yea, I saw the pic of her on the link I posted and I just can not remember her at all. All I can really remember about HHH is Ben, Chrissy, and Devon. Googling it and I kinda remember Lauren and Ryan too vaguely. Oh and that Patrick and Ali actually knew each other.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I saw the pic of her on the link I posted and I just can not remember her at all. All I can really remember about HHH is Ben, Chrissy, and Devon. Googling it and I kinda remember Lauren and Ryan too vaguely. Oh and that Patrick and Ali actually knew each other.

Oh, she was fairly inconsequential as far as the "plot" of the season went, to be sure. But I was still disappointed when she was voted out, and it would be cool to see her again.

But not if it means having to watch approximately three dozen Love Island vets.

37 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Funny enough I remember Desi, but didn't remember Lauren, who I was actually a fan of and rooting for.  She seems like an interesting choice for this show.  Maybe she's one of the alternates, but I thought Desi pretty much fell off the radar after her Survivor stint.  

I never knew Patrick and Ali knew each other (and didn't remember Ali).  This wasn't a season I remembered fondly so that's probably why I'm drawing a blank at so many of the cast.

• Love 1

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-42-jeff-probst-challenge-interview/

From Jeff last night about the challenge.  22 minutes Ika and Vati were in the water, so Jonathan must have really powerhoused through that challenge to help his tribe.

Somehow I think Brad Culpepper's picture is getting replaced over Probst's mantel:

Okay. Jonathan in this challenge. Discuss.

I can't think of another more dominating individual performance in any challenge in Survivor history. And it wasn't just pure strength, he's also amazing in the water, and he's a tremendous leader under pressure. And then he finished out the challenge with the bean bag toss! Come on now!

I hesitated singling him out after the challenge was over, because I appreciate that nobody really wants that kind of attention, but there was simply no way to ignore his performance. It was a hall of fame moment, and every single player knew it so we had to honor it.

• Love 2

Teaser for a recent episode of Robot Chicken. I'm linking because I think this is the first time they've done anything with Survivor. Sadly, it's pretty lame compared to their sketches on CBS's other reality shows. I cued it up to the relevant part because it's that brief.

I was half-watching March Madness. Anyone else see a commercial with Jonathan dominating the recent Immunity Challenge? I think Probst did the editing for that one. I also think he wasn't wearing pants while he edited.

Edited by Lantern7

Swati interview

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-42-swati-goel-voted-out-interview/

-She said she thought one-on-one alliances were the way to go, and didn't understand the blowback she got for that, as she thought everyone would be onboard with it

-She said she was being tight lipped about things, so she was surprised at everyone talking and sharing information with each other

-She knew even before the challenge that she was in trouble because of Tori talking to Rocks and it getting back to Drea

-If she could change one thing, she wouldn't have told Tori she was at the bottom, as she feels that set the chain of events in motion that led to her ouster.  She also feels that being 19, she wanted to make a big move and not have everyone telling her what to do, but she would have played more passively at first if she could do it over.

-I know this was explained in the episode thread, but she does clear up that meant to reference Rob Cesternino in her final words, and not Boston Rob

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

She said she thought one-on-one alliances were the way to go, and didn't understand the blowback she got for that, as she thought everyone would be onboard with it

She thought everyone would be on a board with her having a 'you're my number 1!' alliance with every single person? OK lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/25/2022 at 9:47 PM, LadyChatts said:

The more I see of this case the more people I find to dislike (or dislike even more).  Hopefully that changes when the season starts, otherwise it’s going to be a looooooong season.

I'm just catching up on this thread - I think most of this season's cast is reasonably likable and wondering how you feel about them now?

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, princelina said:

I'm just catching up on this thread - I think most of this season's cast is reasonably likable and wondering how you feel about them now?

I don't mind being proven wrong in this case, and so far I have been.  I haven't enjoyed a season this much since S37.  I've posted this in the episode thread, but there's not one I'm really rooting against, and I have plenty of people I'm rooting for.  I've actually been left sad by pretty much every one whose been voted off so far.  Even Daniel, because he was one fun train wreck to watch.  And someone like Swati, who I didn't really like, but again, she had potential to be a train wreck.  I can only picture the scene at the merge where she goes off by herself for a moment, and we spend 10 minutes having everyone say she told them they are her #1.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Oh, Ponderosa where are you?

I don’t think they are doing them this season. I heard the main camera person got COVID during that time and they didn’t have enough coverage or time to film it this season 

On 4/23/2022 at 9:24 PM, jsm1125 said:

I don’t think they are doing them this season. I heard the main camera person got COVID during that time and they didn’t have enough coverage or time to film it this season 

I hadn’t heard that. You get so much insight with the jury at Ponderosa. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3

So I saw this posted on Reddit about why there's no Ponderosa this season.  It's from a reddit poster who so far has provided credible spoilers for S42 (just an FYI, no spoilers here).  Take it for what it's worth:

level 1

4242survivor424242

·2 days ago

Here's the full story. For 41 and on, they hired a new HR representative who is on site at all times. She gives pre-game meetings and lessons on how to make people feel included. During each challenge she is in the medical tent in a hidden area. If any contestant feels uncomfortable about something they can go and talk to her and report it confidentially. This also extends to the crew and production. Anyone can go and talk to this representative.

During 41 ponderosa filming, a report was made around Shan's exit and her ponderosa and the consequences involved removing individuals involved in the ponderosa making. Because this was towards the end of the season, production was able to still finish the series. They decided to not try and do the series for 42.

They also posted this about Shan in a thread about what players from S41 and 42 would most likely be asked back for a returning player season (note that there isn't any sort of confirmed returning player season happening in the near future that I've heard about, but some posters were saying Shan was probably confirmed to return if they ever did a returning player season because of the type of personality she was):

level 1

4242survivor424242

·5 days ago

Hello all. I am well known in the spoiled survivor reddit page as the leaker of this season's boot order! But NO SPOILERs here I promise. Just wanted to legitimize myself.

Everyone saying Shan is a confirmed returnee is, well, not necessarily true. Shan was a beloved character to make great TV. But behind the scenes, Shan was a nightmare for production. Multiple times she would yell in outrage at production. Multiple times she was warned by production. Now, she makes great TV, so would CBS consider bringing her back. Absolutely. However, she comes with some serious baggage they may not be willing to endure.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2

Rocksroy's interview with Gordon Holmes.  His word associations for his castaways:

Rocksroy

Lindsey: Tenacious

Swati: Young

Hai: Conniving

Mike: Beast

MaryAnne: Bubbly

Zach: Competitor

Lydia: Emotional

Romeo: Weird

Drea: Amazing

Jonathan: I can't tell if he said peace or beast

Chanelle: Emotional

Tori: Friend

Omar: Unexpected

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Jonathan: I can't tell if he said peace or beast

He said beast after a little hesitation, possibly because he knew he already used "beast" for Mike and didn't want to repeat himself.

Reality Blurred recap/review for last night's episode. Andy enjoyed it, though he did get some choice snark upon Probst.

“How we doin’?” Probst asked as the players stood, literally shaking from the cold. Just great, Jeff! Why don’t you continue talking incessantly about what’s happening while we stand here and freeze?

“Before you choose, walk me through,” Probst told her. “Look at everybody right now. … How do you make this kind of decision?” I was waiting for him to hand her a screwdriver and say, Just drive this into the thighs of the people you aren’t choosing.

I’m sure the players and family members would prefer an in-person reunion, especially with an all-expenses-paid flight to Fiji, but as a viewer I vastly prefer this version, especially since it doesn’t give Jeff Probst the chance to demand love like he’s asking for all the fixins’ in a Chick-Fil-A drive-thru.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I don’t for a minute believe Hai was happy to go in a blindside, but he is savvy enough to be a gracious loser. 

Omar also knows not to brag to anyone but the camera people/producers.  The time to confess all, or almost all, is at FTC.  If he makes it that far, because he seems to be getting cocky…that kind of edit doesn’t endear him to fans.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Brendan Birch said:

Never watched Thailand, but from the little I heard, it sounded like he wasn't all that likable on the show.

Still, this day and age, sixty-six is relatively young.  RIP to him.

Your not missing much.  Thailand is probably the only Survivor season I re-watched that actually seemed worse the second time around.  Clay wasn't popular (though he wasn't alone in lacking in popularity that season by any stretch), but it is sad to see another Survivor contestant pass.  I've watched this show since the first season, and anytime I hear of someone passing from it, it's like losing a part of a weird, dysfunctional family.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

[You're] not missing much.  Thailand is probably the only Survivor season I re-watched that actually seemed worse the second time around.  

Sounds right. Once Shii Ann got voted off, there wasn't a good reason to stick with it.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I love that when asked "If you had to live at Ponderosa permanently with one of your fellow jurors, who would it be and why", almost everyone answered either grumpy Chanelle or mean-girl Tori, or both. Only Drea said someone different (Hai). 

Also love this:

Who among the jury played the best game and why?

CHANELLE HOWELL: I'm always going to say myself.

Never change, Chanelle 😆

And on a superficial note regarding the photo at the top of the article: Oh hi there Chanelle 😮

I would have expected that answer from Drea over Chanelle, but can’t say I’m too surprised.  Chanelle wasn’t my favorite, but I have to say she’s someone from this season I’d love to see play again.  I’d like to think she’d learn from her mistakes and might turn into a great player.  It didn’t help that she wound up crossing emotional Mike, who had a vendetta against her for daring to write his name down.  

• Love 2