Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

I don't see the problem with speculating either. They were all present, no one who was there and who responded to Julia tweeting out the link to her blog post disputed that it happened, and they all know who it was. If they want to avoid the speculation falling on them personally, every single one of them has the ability to name the person. If they've decided not to in order to avoid that person being publicly shamed, then that's their prerogative, but if they have the luxury of that choice, then so should Julia. Whereas if they're not saying because they don't think casually tossing around racial slurs is a problem, then I really could not care less if that causes someone to think they might be racist.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

From Reality Blurred: S40 will be getting a returning and reviled twist. This promises to be the clusterfuck to end all clusterfucks.

That’s it - I’m probably out this season.  If TPTB don’t give a shit about what the fans do/don’t like, then by the same token I’m not obligated to watch their shit just because THEY like it.  If they want to self-stroke then let them get a box of tissues and a bottle of Jergens and do it at home like everybody else; me, I have a few books to catch up on. :[ 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Not exactly "in" the media, but a question about a type of media..............

When I go to a half books, used book stores that sells dvd's, libraries etc. i always 

look to see if there are survivor seasons.  I have never seen one.  Its a seasonal tv show. 

No one has ever bought a season and donated it to the library or resold it?  

I haven't actually checked for new but....do people buy seasons? 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

That’s it - I’m probably out this season.  If TPTB don’t give a shit about what the fans do/don’t like, then by the same token I’m not obligated to watch their shit just because THEY like it.  If they want to self-stroke then let them get a box of tissues and a bottle of Jergens and do it at home like everybody else; me, I have a few books to catch up on. :[ 

I am definitely out.  Survivor with EOE is not Survivor at all.  There is absolutely no reason to tune in until the finale, because literally nothing of consequence happens until then.  The first 12 episodes are like preseason, exhibition games.

They should call it Survivor RIP, because this is going to be the death of the show.

I never read spoilers, but I am gong to spoil myself on this season.   There is absolutely no reason to watch. 

It is especially idiotic to to this on a season with 20 former winners.  There is no need for a gimmick to give an edge to players with targets on their back (like Joe in season 38) because they all will have targets on their backs.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 4
(edited)

Why the hate? Jeff Probst will tell us that he heard the love of EoE "from the streets"! People on the streets NEVER lie to Jeff Probst!

*sigh* I guess the official policy is that if Survivor makes a mistake . . . they gotta make it again and hope it does better. See also "Redemption Island" and "Blood vs. Water."

1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

They should call it Survivor RIP, because this is going to be the death of the show.

If it is (and it probably won't), maybe CBS can give us The Amazing Race on a regular basis once more. But they'll probably load up on Big Brother and Love Island. Maybe Survivor closes up shop when contestants are revealed to be conceived during the first season. The name of the guy favored to win S45? "Rudy Rich [Whatever]."

2 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Not exactly "in" the media, but a question about a type of media..............

When I go to a half books, used book stores that sells dvd's, libraries etc. i always look to see if there are survivor seasons.  I have never seen one.  Its a seasonal tv show. No one has ever bought a season and donated it to the library or resold it?  I haven't actually checked for new but....do people buy seasons? 

Do you have an online catalog where you live? My library system covers three NYC boroughs. Let me search . . .

Shit . . . there isn't anything on there. I guess they got rid of those DVDs, Also, maybe libraries don't go out and get the bare bones stuff you get exclusively online. I'm sorry I can't provide more hope.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Shit . . . there isn't anything on there. I guess they got rid of those DVDs, Also, maybe libraries don't go out and get the bare bones stuff you get exclusively online. I'm sorry I can't provide more hope.

I checked my library because I know they used to have early seasons of TAR, but they don't have any TAR or Survivor seasons at all now. My guess is the the seasons they used to have became damaged over time and removed from circulation and the newer ones they don't buy because they're all Manufactured On Demand by Amazon and will only play on newer standalone DVD players. Typically if the library can't buy all seasons of a show, they won't buy any.

But here's a weird thing I found. The easiest way to search is an Author: Jeff Probst search and that brought up a series of children's books he's written with a survival theme. I might bite the bullet and check one out. It might not be terrible; I vaguely remember that he wrote and directed a movie around the time Survivor debuted that got decent critical reviews.

• Love 1
(edited)

Besides the in-game aspects, Edge of Extinction eliminates any potential guessing of winners/finalists based on amount of weight lost. Your day 3 boot is as emaciated as your day 33 boot. I wonder if in the era of social media, they like this added wrinkle.

The only way this would be acceptable is if they brought back Reem to roast them all as they arrived. Bonus points is if the booted winners had to sit and listen to her rehash her Season 38 game, complete with cursing everyone who voted her out.

Edited by Eolivet
  • LOL 5

Returning players bothers me more than returning EoE.  I guess I'm a sick enough person to have kind of liked the potential of somebody going temporarily berserk.  Of course that possibility is out with returning players who we already know are fairly good at enduring the  deprivations.

The only thing I'm hearing that might put me off the watching is the threat of Nashville, Bryce Lynch, Lantern and Eolivet not being here to talk about it with.

1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

Returning players bothers me more than returning EoE.  I guess I'm a sick enough person to have kind of liked the potential of somebody going temporarily berserk.  Of course that possibility is out with returning players who we already know are fairly good at enduring the  deprivations.

The only thing I'm hearing that might put me off the watching is the threat of Nashville, Bryce Lynch, Lantern and Eolivet not being here to talk about it with.

First of all, this would be the 40th season, and May 31 will mark twenty years from when it premiered. It was logical to bring people back in Heroes vs. Villains, and it's logical here.

Secondly: did I say I'd jump off the train? I'd watch despite myself, hoping that a decent person wins . . . by which I mean "female" or "male that would mind Probst smoking his pole."

I am also all in on Survivor 40, come what may [/Moulin Rouge]. (ironic, given that I'm on record as saying I wanted nothing of the sort. But times change and people do, too). Give me all the cluster-whatever of the upped prize money, the Edge of Winner's Extinction, the bizarre twists they will use to keep their faves. Heck, they gave All Stars a freaking Home Depot tool kit to make their shelter -- I'm surprised they didn't let these folks bunk with Jeff in his Fijian resort.

And also -- maybe unpopular opinion -- but I think they needed the Edge of Winner's Extinction. You can't woo some of these people with families and lives and actual jobs to come to Fiji, only to be voted off on day 3. This isn't The Challenge (at least last season) where you lose and they send you home. And it isn't Ghost Island, with 11 under-30s either. They needed to be able to tell these people if you lose, your chances aren't over. Is that special treatment? Maybe. But in this case, I think it's almost warranted.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is production's answer to social media and increased flow of information. You can't guess winners based on weight loss and it's harder to leak a boot list (maybe you still can) when you're not entirely sure who's booted until day 36. There's no stream of people coming into Ponderosa and no big group on a pre-jury vacation either. They're all playing Schrodinger's Survivor on Edge of Extinction.

What I will find interesting is exactly how many of these people had ... shall we say ... neutral to skeptical reactions to this twist, who will avail themselves of it and prove themselves to be giant hypocrites? Can't wait to find out.

• Love 5

Funny thing. I visit a Facebook group based on The Challenge. Someone had made a case for Michael Yerger from Ghost Island going on that show. I typed "Survivor," and inadvertently found this article from The Ringer about how the series "Broke Itself," in relation to the rumor of the S40 twists.

You know what would make a good story? The creation of the busts for Sandra and Rob. Did they have to pose for pictures, or did the crew work off old photos? How long did they take to build? Was Rob supposed to be wearing a baseball cap? If so, was that plan scrapped because Major League Baseball wouldn't allow the use of the"B" on Boston Red Sox caps?

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

You know what would make a good story? The creation of the busts for Sandra and Rob.  Did they have to pose for pictures, or did the crew work off old photos?

There was an article that mentioned that.  It's probably linked in the S39 spoiler thread.  IIRC, they were flown to somewhere in Cali to get 3D scanned, and the wood planks for the busts were cut specifically to specs based on those scans.

That article also talked a lot about the shelter Rob and Sandra were going to have on their island, since they were in the process of moving and redesigning it when they were interviewed for the article (it was on Day 2 of IoI).  And since they didn't have much of anything else to do, they had major plans for the shelter.  I mention this because I'm now wondering if the island they were on will be the new Edge, and if so, if the awesome shelter will still be standing.  (Or vice versa; if that shelter was still standing, and if so, they decided to make that island the new Edge.)

building things and generally being competent was always one of Boston Robs strengths.  So him building a great shelter in all this spare time isn't that surprising. 

I'm bothered by the fact I can find hardly anyone talking about s39.  The whole season is being overshadowed.

3 hours ago, marys1000 said:

I'm bothered by the fact I can find hardly anyone talking about s39.  The whole season is being overshadowed.

I'm thinking that will be a clusterfuck as well, only without the stuff rumored for S40. Even if there's a situation where banished players have to choose between playing for an idol or seeking advice, the results won't be that great. I feel that way because Survivor hasn't been that satisfying in recent years, and not even the thought of Sandra offering the toughest of love to players can't steer me from that opinion.

(edited)
17 hours ago, marys1000 said:

building things and generally being competent was always one of Boston Robs strengths.  So him building a great shelter in all this spare time isn't that surprising. 

I think there just isn't much to talk about with S39 yet.  The whole cast hasn't even been spoiled yet, but with it being a newbie season, there's likely less rumors coming out of it.

Hopefully the next two seasons tank, and S41 (if there is one) goes back to newbies and no stupid twists.  I'd still like them to leave Fiji for a change of scenery.  But TPTB need to look to DvsG and see what worked with that season.  That's been the best season in years.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, LadyChatts said:

I think there just isn't much to talk about with S39 yet.  The whole cast hasn't even been spoiled yet, but with it being a newbie season, there's likely less rumors coming out of it.

Hopefully the next two seasons tank, and S41 (if there is one) goes back to newbies and no stupid twists.  I'd still like them to leave Fiji for a change of scenery.  But TPTB need to look to DvsG and see what worked with that season.  That's been the best season in years.

If there is a season 41, I wish they go back to newbies with no twists as well. They can keep the HII to keep it interesting. Also, I wouldn't mind if they went back to 16 castaways with a 7 person jury.

• Love 2
(edited)

Anybody know why Nick Wilson canceled going to Hearts of Reality, the charity event/reality reunion/excuse to party in Orlando in a couple weeks? Seeing as he's a former winner on a really popular recent season, that kind of shocked me:

(lots of famewhores in this link, click at your own risk and be prepared to go "what? huh? who?" when you see many of these people)

Also: "Celebrities" (no).

https://support.gktw.org/site/SPageNavigator/hor_celebrities.html;jsessionid=00000000.app206a?NONCE_TOKEN=A90CB3928ED3903A39CF95FEF96400A9

Edited by Eolivet
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Anybody know why Nick Wilson canceled going to Hearts of Reality, the charity event/reality reunion/excuse to party in Orlando in a couple weeks? Seeing as he's a former winner on a really popular recent season, that kind of shocked me:

(lots of famewhores in this link, click at your own risk and be prepared to go "what? huh? who?" when you see many of these people)

https://support.gktw.org/site/SPageNavigator/hor_celebrities.html;jsessionid=00000000.app206a?NONCE_TOKEN=A90CB3928ED3903A39CF95FEF96400A9

That’s harsh. Some of ‘em aren’t close to “famewhore” status. And Erik Reichenbach drew one of the covers for the autograph program.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, Eolivet said:

Whoa, some blasts from the way past.  Jane Bright?!?! Easily one of my top most hated contestants.  I'm surprised they allow her to be a Survivor rep for or at anything.  Sugar and some others.  Was a fun scroll.  I don't watch any of the other shows.  
Jenna was in there, is she still dating Sea Bass?  

(edited)
15 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Whoa, some blasts from the way past.  Jane Bright?!?! Easily one of my top most hated contestants.  I'm surprised they allow her to be a Survivor rep for or at anything.  Sugar and some others.  Was a fun scroll.  I don't watch any of the other shows.  
Jenna was in there, is she still dating Sea Bass?  

Last I heard, yes, and were working on a yacht together.  Since The Amazing Race, returning to Survivor, or using their invisible couple status to get on some other reality show didn't work out, maybe they can try for Below Deck?

ETA: Whoa, you aren't kidding about the blasts from the past.  Silas, my first ever Survivor crush. 

Of course I half wonder if this is more past contestants wanting another shot and deciding to get back out in the mix to get noticed.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Of course I half wonder if this is more past contestants wanting another shot and deciding to get back out in the mix to get noticed.  

I think that's a factor for some more recent contestants. Jodi Wincheski may be a former contestant on the Amazing Race -- what it doesn't say is she's a current Survivor casting director. I'm sure more than a few of them know that.

Though I truly don't think anyone from say, Vanuatu or China is under the illusion they'll be picked for another Survivor season. I'm guessing that's a mix of "oh, it's so nice to be recognized" (since they have autograph sessions, and who's going to want autographs of former Survivor contestants except Survivor super-fans?) and some altruistic interest in the charity.

(edited)

Seriously, I'm not getting the "famewhore" vibe from a lot of those listed, and they're doing it for charity. I'm not thinking most or all of them are looking for one more shot. With S40 being an alumni season, Burnett/Probst might bring out new people for S41/S42. Even the Challenge people are tame; Josh is probably more closely associated with Big Brother, and Mark probably does let BMP know he'd be down for a return, but he's probably in better physical shape than most of the viewers.

ETA: If you don't visit the Past Seasons thread, I posted this Funny115 essay link on "Purple" Kelly" Shinn. I had no idea how badly she had been wronged by the producers. In brief: her clothing outfits were limited by production, she suffered even as she helped run the game, and she wound up tapping out . . . allowing the editors to basically shit on her in each and every episode. I don't think I was aware of this, and I'm pissed that Survivor is still around, while The Amazing Race- . . . fuck it, you know where I'm going with that.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4

Looking at that list I have to say for the life of me I cannot understand why I am unable to remember people from TAR.  Seriously the only two I remember are Floyd and Uchenna (Brendon and Rachel are Big Brother people first in my mind so they don't count. Robbie E is a wrestler first and honestly I forgot he was on TAR.  Bret is a Survivor person first in my mind.).  Also, why do they have someone from Pirate Master there?  I watched the show but it was only on for one season and I do not remember anyone from it.

Got a chuckle seeing the mullet on Denise.

Sad to see the above post about Rudy.

• Love 4

The rumors of Rudy dying might not be accurate. He's in assisted living and has Alzheimer's, but TMZ is reporting that according to his daughter, he's not near the end. It sounds like there were some tweets that he had actually died because a few Survivor alums are refuting that. Of course it's possible that his family just doesn't want the attention so they're saying he's okay, and we'll find out later that he wasn't. Age 91 threw me because it seems like he was on All-Stars not so very long ago, but now that I think about it, that's been more than 15 years.

6 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Also, why do they have someone from Pirate Master there?  I watched the show but it was only on for one season and I do not remember anyone from it. 

Ha, that made me laugh too. I watched but I think it got cancelled after a few episodes so they didn't air the full season, and no one noticed or cared. Pirate Master is how we got Russell; he auditioned for that show and didn't make it, but they put him on Survivor instead.

• Love 5

Angelina is pregnant, per her Instagram account (due February 2020). I find it odd to link to that kind of stuff, so just the facts here, ma'am. She has a post up on Instagram about it if you'd like to read more.

Just saw the commercial for the upcoming season of Survivor and see they're bringing back Rob and Amber.  I remember how CBS milked their "love story" to death.   A&R have been on at least 2-3 times since then and after what, 14 years, they're trying again?

The commercial showed these big stone idol-like heads of A&R and the theme seems to be that the new contestants are on "Idol Islands", like A&R have earned this status from back in the day and are idols in their own right.  From what I remember of them, neither was that interesting - Amber was very subdued and introverted and visual wallpaper.  This will probably be a mess.

Edited by patty1h

I haven't actually checked for new but....do people buy seasons? 

YES!  I sorta love/hate to admit it, but I bought Survivor: SAMOA which was Russell's first season.  To see him lose when he clearly expected to win was ... epic.  Then I bought Heroes vs. Villains which was filled with so many classic moments.  JT giving Russell an idol, followed by Russell and Parvati laughing their heads off at JT's earnest letter ... Parvati shocking Russell with her idol play, Sandra burning Russell's hat and best of all, Sandra winning.  

• Love 3
On 9/10/2019 at 7:34 AM, Lantern7 said:

I still am puzzling over this season, because of the very idea of needing Survivor "mentors," like Boston Rob and Sandra are akin to Tom Collichio or Tim Gunn is just ... antithetical to Survivor. You can teach someone how to edit a dish or shape a garment, because you're teaching them how to please a group of experts with certain expectations. But you cannot teach social dynamics that enable a person to integrate within a group of their peers, all with entirely different agendas. And you don't win Survivor through "teachable" skills, like knowing how to build a fire (well, I guess in some cases, you do). In this case, Boston Rob and Sandra might as well be telling players to "make it work," that's how useful any of their advice is going to be. They can't teach the intangibles, the magic, and that's what players need to win Survivor.

What a colossal waste of time (that I look forward to watching in two weeks).

• Love 11

@Eolivet - I think you’re brushing up on the edges of why I’m finding the entire concept of this season more than a little repellent.  IMHO this “twist” does little, other than to feed the egos of two past players who have already done pretty dern good by the show - and the last thing THOSE egos need is more feed.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Nashville said:

@Eolivet - I think you’re brushing up on the edges of why I’m finding the entire concept of this season more than a little repellent.  IMHO this “twist” does little, other than to feed the egos of two past players who have already done pretty dern good by the show - and the last thing THOSE egos need is more feed.

I don't think Sandra has an enlarged ego . . . though that is what I tell myself. I also think Rob isn't too bad in real life, but I'll probably be calling him an overrated jackass by the third episode (at the latest).

• Love 2

I agree with @Eolivet the advice thing is dumb and will help no one. But any excuse to watch Sandra is fine with me. I also like Rob.

Season 40 I'm out, I also skippped the most recent extinction season though that was more bc I could 't stand watching that awful woman that was voted out every episode, can't remember her name. Sticking us with legit awful people drives me away more than any gimmick.

• Love 1

ON 9/11/2019 AT 4:05 PM,  LANTERN7 SAID: 

I don't think Sandra has an enlarged ego . . . though that is what I tell myself. 

You might want to read this, then re-evaluate that statement.

I read it and I like--no LOVE--Sandra's confidence. It's great to see women with confidence to win rather than be afraid of being a part of a "girls' alliance" (as so many of the guys call it.)

• Love 3