Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

At the start of the season, Chrissy posted an interesting tweet and said that they might use EOE in a future season, but were using this season as kind of a test.  Some speculated they might use it for S40, which is rumored to be an all star season of some sort.  I think a lot of it comes down to cast.  Last season's cast was great.  This season's cast, not so much.  Although I can blame part of that on lack of editing for the first half of the season for most of them.

I think it is partly the cast, partly just how the game has played out and partly EOE that has made the season somewhat subpar. 

For me, the most frustrating thing is that we are more than halfway through the season and we still have no clue which direction the game is going and everyone is gone except for the annoying nutjob and sniveling weakling who quit on their own accord.  If Wendy and Keith hadn't quit, effectively nothing at all would have happened in the game.  And since neither of those 2 really ever had any real chance, it is like nothing has changed from Day 1.   

I am sitting out this season of Amazing Race. I know I am in the minority but I thought Colin was an asshole in his season on the Amazing Race. The only enjoyment I got from watching him was watching him melt down and losing. I don't buy that he is super competitive, I thought he was a jerk and not enjoyable to watch. I believe he is the one that got into it with a Police Officer in Botswana and nearly got arrested.

I strongly dislike Corrine, she is a bully. She was awful in her original season of Survivor and I do not appreciate her "humor" on her annual Rob Has a Podcast appearance.

I am sick of Rupert and don't need to watch him again.

I did not like the Border Patrol agents in their first season on the Amazing Race and have no desire to see them back.

Essentially, they chose some of my least favorite people and teams and I just don't need that type of pain. Chris and Bret? Really? Rachel and her sister?

A very bad cast. For me. I get it, I am in the minority.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

At the start of the season, Chrissy posted an interesting tweet and said that they might use EOE in a future season, but were using this season as kind of a test.  Some speculated they might use it for S40, which is rumored to be an all star season of some sort.  I think a lot of it comes down to cast.  Last season's cast was great.  This season's cast, not so much.  Although I can blame part of that on lack of editing for the first half of the season for most of them.

If they aired Season 40 as two-hour episodes it could work. First hour: Regular Survivor. Second hour: Alternative Survivor - Edge of Extinction.

55 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I am sitting out this season of Amazing Race. I know I am in the minority but I thought Colin was an asshole in his season on the Amazing Race. The only enjoyment I got from watching him was watching him melt down and losing. I don't buy that he is super competitive, I thought he was a jerk and not enjoyable to watch. I believe he is the one that got into it with a Police Officer in Botswana and nearly got arrested.

I strongly dislike Corrine, she is a bully. She was awful in her original season of Survivor and I do not appreciate her "humor" on her annual Rob Has a Podcast appearance.

I am sick of Rupert and don't need to watch him again.

I did not like the Border Patrol agents in their first season on the Amazing Race and have no desire to see them back.

Essentially, they chose some of my least favorite people and teams and I just don't need that type of pain. Chris and Bret? Really? Rachel and her sister?

A very bad cast. For me. I get it, I am in the minority.

I think having some good villains can make TAR more fun, as long as there are some teams to root for, as well.   With all the teams you hate, your odds of having the pleasure of seeing one of them eliminated, any given week, will be pretty high.  

I also dislike Corrine and don't find her, funny, if she is even trying to her be funny with her I'm a bitch who doesn't care about anyone and I'm proud of it schtick (if it even is a schtick).  

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think having some good villains can make TAR more fun, as long as there are some teams to root for, as well.   With all the teams you hate, your odds of having the pleasure of seeing one of them eliminated, any given week, will be pretty high.  

I also dislike Corrine and don't find her, funny, if she is even trying to her be funny with her I'm a bitch who doesn't care about anyone and I'm proud of it schtick (if it even is a schtick).  

Eliza is already getting the being mean to the cab driver edit in the previews. That's never a good sign. LOL!!!

• LOL 2

Other than Rupert, who I 100% cannot STAND, I don't care who's on it. It's still TAR. I guess I watch it mostly for the RACE and tasks, rather than who the racers are. I don't think I'd ever get so involved in the participants in a 'reality TV' show, that them being on it would prevent me from watching, whether it's TAR or Survivor.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, mikewho said:

Other than Rupert, who I 100% cannot STAND, I don't care who's on it. It's still TAR. I guess I watch it mostly for the RACE and tasks, rather than who the racers are. I don't think I'd ever get so involved in the participants in a 'reality TV' show, that them being on it would prevent me from watching, whether it's TAR or Survivor.

For me, enjoyment of TAR is less personality driven than my enjoyment of Survivor is.  The travel, the tasks, the locals, the sites, etc, add a lot.  The routine of Survivor (especially since they moved to Fiji permanently) requires more interesting personalities to make it fun. 

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I like Colin & Christie, too. Although, I was amazed that they went that far back for a pair to represent TAR. I guess Rupert is that version from Survivor. Personally, I could have done without Rupert & his wife.

I wish they went back for more old school TAR and Survivor players if they go that route.  Should be a 5 to 10 year wait period for any of these people to return for these types of "return" seasons then the people that viewers actually can remember would be asked back.  Others would have been long ago faded away.

Colin & Christie were in their early 20's back then so they should still be in their prime now.  They were asked back for All Stars back in the day but Christie was pregnant at the time so they had to decline.  Of course Boston Rob stepped into Colin's role of being foiled by Charla & Mirna that season, hah.  Mirna beating Boston Rob to the mat in Argentina and thus eliminating him will never get old for me.

And yes Colin was a jerk in Africa that one time but I doubt he has remained the same.  People mature.  Look at Blake being a jerk in that Buddhist temple in Season 2 and then he turns around and founds and runs Toms Shoes.

As for Rupert I think if he was your typical empty-headed 20-something mactor people wouldn't be so down on him so much.  But how dare a regular guy want to extend his 15 minutes of fame.  The horror!  The horror!  That's why I will always be in Rupert's corner.

Edited by green
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, green said:

As for Rupert I think if he was your typical empty-headed 20-something mactor people wouldn't be so down on him so much.  But how dare a regular guy want to extend his 15 minutes of fame.  The horror!  The horror!  That's why I will always be in Rupert's corner.

That doesn't apply to me. I never saw him as a 'regular guy'. I ALWAYS saw him as a self-centered, entitled, 'Look At Me' kind of guy. An attention-getter. Ferchrissakes, in his first season, he gave a TH about how nobody should resent him for winning, because they'd be finishing in places of honor. WTF? Then when he was voted out, his final words were something like, 'Well, there go my hopes and dreams. I should have known better than to hope for something more.' WahWah. He was an empty-headed 30-something, full of himself.

And let's not forget, after John tossed a vote his way, he grabbed John by the neck, while screaming 'Who voted for me??? Was it you, John???' How dare he get a vote.

• Love 4

I don’t dislike Rupert because he’s just a regular guy. I dislike him because he’s a narcissistic bully who acts like everyone should just let him win all the time. Watching Rob go out and catch fish and listening to Rupert whine about it will never get old. 

• Love 8

Why did no one tell me that beautiful Joe has been dating and is now engaged to Sierra's eyebrows Sierra?!?  I never know anything about the players' personal lives because I'm always afraid I'll run across a show spoiler if I search out that kind of info, so this was a major shocker.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, mikewho said:

That doesn't apply to me. I never saw him as a 'regular guy'. I ALWAYS saw him as a self-centered, entitled, 'Look At Me' kind of guy. An attention-getter. Ferchrissakes, in his first season, he gave a TH about how nobody should resent him for winning, because they'd be finishing in places of honor. WTF? Then when he was voted out, his final words were something like, 'Well, there go my hopes and dreams. I should have known better than to hope for something more.' WahWah. He was an empty-headed 30-something, full of himself.

No, he was an unsure of himself person who wasn't as intelligent as his father (a professor) and other members of his family despite their support of him so suffered somewhat from low self esteem.  I have seen enough of these people to ALWAYS pull for them in life.  And with Rupert, on reality shows.

• Love 1

Last week, Joe was crying about Sierra and now they're engaged. Mmmmm! Sounds a little to neat and tidy. LOL!!! Oddly enough, they didn't even hook up on their season and she voted him out. I think he was actually dating one of the other girls. Hali or Jen? I know it wasn't Shirin or Mamma C. LOL!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, green said:

No, he was an unsure of himself person who wasn't as intelligent as his father (a professor) and other members of his family despite their support of him so suffered somewhat from low self esteem.  I have seen enough of these people to ALWAYS pull for them in life.  And with Rupert, on reality shows.

I don't play armchair psychologist. You, yourself said other members of his family supported him. I just plain don't like the guy.

47 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Last week, Joe was crying about Sierra and now they're engaged. Mmmmm! Sounds a little to neat and tidy. LOL!!! Oddly enough, they didn't even hook up on their season and she voted him out. I think he was actually dating one of the other girls. Hali or Jen? I know it wasn't Shirin or Mamma C. LOL!!!!

Yeah, they've been dating two years I think (right around the time Game Changers premiered).  What's weird is I think he had a thing with Kelly Wiglesworth-he spent a lot of time with her post-Cambodia, she moved in with his family for awhile with her son, they were trying to pitch that show Mana, did some weird photo shoots, and then it was over.  They deleted their Mana IG account, it looked like she deleted any photos of him on her IG account, and I've never heard anything said about them again.  I don't know if they were actually in a relationship, but it as weird that suddenly all contact was cut off.  Corinne and Max had fun speculating about their relationship on their now-defunct podcast.  In one episode, Corinne said Joe told her that she royally pissed Kelly off by talking about her son.

And right after they stopped hanging out he was hooked up with Sierra. 

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:44 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I do think EOE was put in place partially to give the returnees a fighting chance

The funny thing about that is that unless I'm forgetting something, every single season with mixed newbies and returnees, a returnee has made it to FTC, and none of them using any gimmicks to get there either.  Stephenie, Parv and Amanda, Rob, Coach, Skupin, Cochran and Dawn, Tyson and sidekicks....am I missing anything?  The returnees don't need any help, they're already way ahead of the game coming in with experience.  (If it works for Coach and Skupin, it works for anyone.)

• Love 2
9 hours ago, green said:

I’m rewatching Pearl Islands now. Rupert was horrible. He threatened Fairplay and talked about how he was the greatest Survivor ever to play the game. Then got voted out that same episode. And boy, was he mad! Lol

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

A podcast with Corinne and Max sounds like literal hell.

It is. I haven’t listened in a long time.i don’t even know if they still do it. I also noticed Max Twitter is now set to Private. He was always a Twitter troll but now he’s all quiet. And, yes it was hell. 

Edited by ByaNose
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

A podcast with Corinne and Max sounds like literal hell.

3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

It is. I haven’t listened in a long time.i don’t even know if they still do it. I also noticed Max Twitter is now set to Private. He was always a Twitter whole but now he’s all quiet. And, yes it was hell. 

It actually made me a fan of both of them.  I know there's a lot of speculation and theories that there was some falling out between the two of them, and that's why the podcast ended.  I don't know if that's true or not.  The fact that they had burned their bridges with Survivor and had nothing to lose, they'd just go off on Probst, the producers, the show, editing, etc., and didn't hold back.  Max even got banned from attending the HHH finale as one of Roark's guests by Probst, apparently for the negative things he's said.  It was kind of enlightening.  They had former contestants on a few times (that was how I listened for the first time).  A lot of the podcast revolved around Corinne's love life and life woes; in fact, as the podcast went on, it became more about Corinne.  

That's interesting though about Max setting his twitter to private.  Only time I remember him doing that is when he said he was getting trolled pretty bad.

Edited by LadyChatts
4 hours ago, Runningwild said:

I’m rewatching Pearl Islands now. Rupert was horrible. He threatened Fairplay and talked about how he was the greatest Survivor ever to play the game. Then got voted out that same episode. And boy, was he mad! Lol

If he actually threatened Fairplay he couldn't, by definition, be horrible.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

A lot of the podcast revolved around Corinne's love life and life woes; in fact, as the podcast went on, it became more about Corinne.  

I thought it was hell before but this just takes it over the edge. I'd rather stick nails in my eyeballs then listen to that!

• LOL 2

Reality Blurred on last night's episode. Curious . . . if there was a Reward Challenge, has it been posted or described anywhere?

Quote of the essay:

But in the most shocking part of any Tribal Council I’ve seen in a long time, Jeff Probst said, “I wouldn’t want to ask a question. It’s just way better just to watch.”

OH HALLELUJAH PROBST HAS FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOSTING AGAIN!!!!!!!

• LOL 2
On 4/10/2019 at 9:47 AM, TaraS1 said:

Why did no one tell me that beautiful Joe has been dating and is now engaged to Sierra's eyebrows Sierra?!?  

I just heard about it, too. I was really surprised since I couldn't picture the 2 together, but it sounds like a genuine relationship. 

Another surprise was reading an article about them, where Joe says that after Survivor, Sierra spent weeks in the hospital with liver and kidney failure, brought on by the extreme conditions. Yikes. I've heard in the past of Survivors having long term effects like parasites, skin problems, not to mention lingering paranoia. Scary stuff. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Another surprise was reading an article about them, where Joe says that after Survivor, Sierra spent weeks in the hospital with liver and kidney failure, brought on by the extreme conditions. Yikes. I've heard in the past of Survivors having long term effects like parasites, skin problems, not to mention lingering paranoia. Scary stuff. 

Yep - and these issues have only been accentuated by the Production decision to fix on the Fiji location since S33, for all foreseeable future episodes; certain severe bacterial skin infections which were a rarity outside the Fiji locations are now a common feature from season to season.  And I cringe whenever the contestants are shown lounging in the water immediately offshore the tribal campsites, because multiple people have been shitting in that water daily for (right now) three years straight.  Who wants to go wading?  😛 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Remember the season when someone, an older man, was evacuated from the game for an overwhelming allergic reaction to the bazillion bites from sand fleas or whatever? I'm sure many of the Survivors are left with scabs and scars of all kinds. I salute their grit. I can't tolerate it when the tag on my shirt is rubbing my neck. 😁

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Special K said:

Reem may be my favorite person on this show.  She just can't even with all the stupid questions and bullshit.

I'm very concerned for Reem. She didn't get a confessional last night. It's the first episode she hasn't spoken. Free Reem!

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I'm very concerned for Reem. She didn't get a confessional last night. It's the first episode she hasn't spoken. Free Reem!

You could say there was no Reem or Rhyson as to why that didn't happen.

*awkward silence*

Did Stephen do his weekly column yet? I don't really read his stuff . . . I'm just interested in Erik's cartoons.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

You could say there was no Reem or Rhyson as to why that didn't happen.

*awkward silence*

Did Stephen do his weekly column yet? I don't really read his stuff . . . I'm just interested in Erik's cartoons.

Okay. Not gonna lie. I kinda laughed at your pun. Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone.

Another example of Rupert’s humongous ego is the episode I just watched S8E3. That’s when he built the shelter Lamb18 spoke of. In the very next episode , the shelter was flooded and destroyed. 

Edited by Runningwild
10 hours ago, ByaNose said:

No no!  Be at ease!  No confessional, but she lectured Eric about how much harder she had it than anyone else when he was self-pitying and/or pretending he might quit to give the poor suckers who got assigned the assistant producer job at the EDGE OF EXTINCTION something to do.  The crew must be even more bored than the castaways there, they're trying to stave off the boredom with Xtreme Avant-Garde camera angles of Aubry's mouth and long, lingering shots of dying animals/heavy packages.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I often wonder if Jeff can tell a season is playing well or not while in the game. This current season isn't playing that great (IMO) after David vs Goliath success. So, I'm just wondering if he feels pressured to do an all winner season after saying he wouldn't. Time will tell. Heck! I'm dying to know what Season 39 brings.

2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Besides more skin infections and shits in the ocean, you mean?  ;>

You know the usual Shark, Minnow and Poop. :)

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-edge-extinction-david-wright-tribal-council-voting-julia-carter-1202251

Interview with David.  He was asked about the remaining castaways, and I thought his answer on Victoria was interesting:

Victoria?

I was impressed with the way Victoria was able to navigate the game and make everyone feel like she was on their side even when she wasn't. I enjoyed hearing about her guinea pigs and hoped I wouldn't become one.

He also said Julia still wanted to play with Kama, despite voting Eric out; that Wardog/Lauren/Wentworth were a tight trio, and Lauren/Wardog didn't seem to want to budge from that.  It sounded like, from an age stand point, he got along the best with Julie, Rick, and Ron.

Edited by LadyChatts
On 4/11/2019 at 12:24 PM, Nashville said:

Yep - and these issues have only been accentuated by the Production decision to fix on the Fiji location since S33, for all foreseeable future episodes; certain severe bacterial skin infections which were a rarity outside the Fiji locations

I'm confused -- I thought Kaoh Rong was the one with flesh-eating bacteria (where Neil had to be medically evacuated because of a skin infection, and I thought Aubry's Joe did, too? Unless that was another medical condition). In fact, I always thought that was the reason they left Cambodia like a bat out of hell, instead of spending the requisite four seasons there: to escape the flesh-eating bacteria and associated infections. Fiji contestants might have short-term acute skin problems, but the only medical evacuation since 33 has been Pat's freak accident in the boat (and Bi spraining her ankle and quitting) last season.

Love Fiji or hate it, one medical evacuation (from a freak accident) in six seasons is a pretty good track record. Everything else must not be severe enough to worry them.

10 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I'm confused -- I thought Kaoh Rong was the one with flesh-eating bacteria (where Neil had to be medically evacuated because of a skin infection, and I thought Aubry's Joe did, too? Unless that was another medical condition). 

Joe had a stomach/bowel issue after eating a bunch of meat, didn't he?

• Love 2

Bi either sprained her knee or partially tore her MCL in her knee. It was far worse then spraining an ankle. The kneecould not provide her with proper support. Medical did not pull her so she goes down as a quit but her knee was seriously jacked up  and staying woud have made it worse.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Joe had a stomach/bowel issue after eating a bunch of meat, didn't he?

Yes, he got constipated from eating too much meat, which constricted his urine flow (coupled with age-related prostate enlargement), causing him to retain urine and risk kidney damage.  Basically, an emergency situation, but easily resolved with catheterization and laxatives. 

Edited by Special K
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I'm confused -- I thought Kaoh Rong was the one with flesh-eating bacteria (where Neil had to be medically evacuated because of a skin infection

Yes, Neil was medevaced and hospitalized because of a staph infection in his knee and back. Also, Elizabeth, who was on his tribe and voted out early, also ended up hospitalized and had to have surgeries on her shoulder because of a staph infection. (She posted photos of this and I've read they're quite grisly but haven't seen them; she said had big areas of flesh removed and required plastic surgery after she returned to the U.S.)  I remember someone saying the source of the infection was something on the beach where the Brains tribe was living, but there weren't any details and I don't know how accurate that was or if it was just a guess based on who got it.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I'm confused -- I thought Kaoh Rong was the one with flesh-eating bacteria (where Neil had to be medically evacuated because of a skin infection, and I thought Aubry's Joe did, too? Unless that was another medical condition). In fact, I always thought that was the reason they left Cambodia like a bat out of hell, instead of spending the requisite four seasons there: to escape the flesh-eating bacteria and associated infections. Fiji contestants might have short-term acute skin problems, but the only medical evacuation since 33 has been Pat's freak accident in the boat (and Bi spraining her ankle and quitting) last season.

Love Fiji or hate it, one medical evacuation (from a freak accident) in six seasons is a pretty good track record. Everything else must not be severe enough to worry them.

I said they were relatively rare outside Fiji, not nonexistent. 🙂  In any case I was referring to overall health issues, not solely those requiring medevacs.  In the last 2-3 years there have been several articles describing the health issues some contestants had to deal with following their eviction from the game.  I can’t remember her name offhand, but a couple of years(?) ago one young woman had skin infections go so deep as to cause open wounds which, after the initial infection was resolved, required skin grafts for closure.  Accompanying the article were several pictures of the wounds which definitely weren’t suitable for the faint of heart or stomach.  And I’m not talking necrotizing fasciitis here; simply some nasty bacteria which does some nasty damage and leaves some nasty scars.

In any case: if memory serves correctly, there have consistently been after-show reports of 2-3 people each season suffering similar aftereffects of their experience since the show fixed on the Fiji location - and it is this to which I was referring.

P. S.: I’ll post up some links to the articles I mentioned if I can find the time to search them up again.

10 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I can’t remember her name offhand, but a couple of years(?) ago one young woman had skin infections go so deep as to cause open wounds which, after the initial infection was resolved, required skin grafts for closure.  Accompanying the article were several pictures of the wounds which definitely weren’t suitable for the faint of heart or stomach.

Was this Elizabeth from Kaoh Rong, as described by @fishcakes above? If so, that was Cambodia, not Fiji. I believe part of the reason they've stayed in Fiji for so long because the location-related medical issues are less serious than prior seasons. Or maybe they're just less serious than Cambodia. I don't remember any location-related medical issues in the Philippines or San Juan Del Sur, but maybe that's just time dulling my memory.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1
On 4/17/2019 at 4:46 PM, Eolivet said:

Was this Elizabeth from Kaoh Rong, as described by @fishcakes above? If so, that was Cambodia, not Fiji.

I don’t think so; Kaôh Rong was 4 years ago, and I seem to remember the lady I’m thinking of as blond - not brunette like Elisabeth.  But I’ll allow for the possibility I’m mistaken.

What you're describing definitely happened to Elisabeth from Kaoh Rong, but it could have happened to a Fji-located season person too. I don't remember much about these people once the show stops airing. The Elisabeth stuff stuck in my head though because I saw the pics and they were horrifying.

• Love 1