Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, LanceM said:

Survivor Challenge Producer John Kirhoffer talks about some of the old challenges from seasons past and why we haven't seen some of them again.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/13/survivor-challenges-john-kirhoffer/

A lot of the challenges they talk about in this interview have been featured on the current season of Australian Survivor.  In fact, one woman had to leave the game because of the pole gripping challenge.  She had already injured her ankle and another woman yanked on said injured ankle during the pole gripping challenge.  

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:40 AM, LadyChatts said:

https://people.com/tv/fear-factor-celebrity-episodes-exclusive/

One more show for reality show has beens to extend their 15 minutes of fame.  On the Survivor front, Abi Maria, Sierra, and Caleb (shocker) will be appearing on a celebrity edition of Fear Factor on MTV.

Oddly enough they did not even acknowledge him being on Big Brother.  I mean I thought he was more "know" for being on Big Brother but that did not fit the narrative. 

Survivor casting for seasons 39-40. From the article:

Those who speak have some simple advice, which is basically this: be yourself and don’t try to impress us.

How I take it: “Be young, be attractive. Maybe be a real piece of work. If you’re an attractive male, and you cause Jeff Probst to bulge in his cargo shorts, you will automatically make it to Day 33.”

• Love 1

You know, I thought I'd be in till the end. And I had all the strategies of the contestants I'd watched that I could cite as examples on forum debates, etc. But even though I still find some contestants exciting, I'm kind of wary of the whole shebang. What's the point of getting me excited about A or B if C, which by all means should have been out, now gets a shortcut to F3 and the win (because winning the fire and the votes seem to go hand in hand, don't they). Doesn't matter if I like C, this is seriously fucked up.

More generally, since the seasons started having random names, I have no idea who was on each season, and I even forget who won each, or who was on the season that X won. I'll still be watching come September, but over the past 12 months I realised I watched the show later and later, sometimes 3 days after airing. Maybe I'll soon be ready to watch it after the season is over, knowing the outcome, and FFing the talking heads of designated stars of the seasons and other boring shields. Come to think of it, this summer, someone hooked me on Love Island, which is total trash, but which I ended up watching with a relatively minor time involvement, catching up every few days and FFing through all the parts that involved people who I got to find boring. The longer it went, the more I zoomed through it all. A 45 min episode? done in 25, max. Once the contestants are embodying characters, its easy to know if they interest you or not. I'd be sad if Survivor became that, but given the way it's become increasingly gimmicky, and the very limited editing of contestants, I think it might soon become a show to binge watch when in bed with a bad cold. 

Edited by NutMeg
I meant 'outcome' and wrote 'income'. Hmmm...
  • Love 4

I actually wonder if Les Moonves is ousted (and I don't know if that's a big if or not), what that might mean for shows like Survivor and some of the other CBS standards.  Despite the fact Survivor still brings in decent ratings, compared to other programs on TV, someone new might want to take the network in a new direction and get rid of the reality mainstays.  I'd be slightly surprised if that really did happen, but not completely. 

Right now I've seen quite a few former castaways talking about casting on their respective SM accounts, more so than normal.  It looks like Probst might have slithered into Lynn's place, which wouldn't be surprising, but can't say he'll bring any improvement.  I think Survivor could re-invent itself if it got more back to what it use to be, for all the reasons we've talked about here.  I'd even go for a shorter season and 90 minute-2 hour episodes if it meant better editing.  They are in a serious rut, thanks to twists and advantages and stupid themes and focusing on a select few characters.  And honestly, it's not like all these idols and advantages can prevent a predictable pagonging, either.  I'm still all for an idol and advantage free-season without telling them.  Let the paranoia run wild!  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I think that is why I enjoy the Australian version so much, because it is edited better.  Even though they have 24 contestants, they do little video packages of most of them.  The editing on the American version used to be good.  I mean you could have someone like Mad Dog go out second and we still go to know her because she was focused on for those two episodes.  Nowadays I could not even name anyone who went out second in any season.

• Love 2

I've heard it will be Wednesday, but I haven't seen an official source.  Some sites are going off CBS releasing past casts a month before their premiere dates, and that would go along with DvsG premiering on Sept. 29th.

I assume it would be this week, though.  I'm seeing the updated logo everywhere.

Question: where can I get information about the ratings for Survivor throughout its run? I'm thinking along the lines of season by season and how it did against shows airing against it, as opposed to individual episodes.

https://people.com/tv/tom-arnold-files-police-report-battery-mark-burnett-fight-emmys-party/

So now Tom has filed charges against Burnett, claims he has witnesses (Kevin Bacon being one of them), and says he will sue Mark's wife Roma Downey for defamation for what she said on twitter about him.  Which is basically her pointing a finger at Tom for starting the fight and claiming she has a bruise on her hand from the altercation.  Tom says the bruise had to have been from a week ago.

FWIW, Tom has a show starting on Viceland this week about the infamous Trump tapes.  So make of all this what you will.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, cherrypj said:

Whatever you might think of Sunday or her season (MvGx), here's a nice article on what a player goes through when their names are released. I think this site is better than most (which is why I frequent it), but I think all of us would get a chuckle if we look back at our predictions (of a player or a season).

Like the next-time-on-Survivor! previews, our guesses are Always Wrong. 

• Love 3
On 9/7/2018 at 9:12 AM, cherrypj said:

Whatever you might think of Sunday or her season (MvGx), here's a nice article on what a player goes through when their names are released. I think this site is better than most (which is why I frequent it), but I think all of us would get a chuckle if we look back at our predictions (of a player or a season).

Very good advice. It doesn't surprise me that a young woman would get that kind of hatred for just existing. I have blocked people in more than a few places because of the absolutely disgusting bile spewed at young female players. It's not just jealousy. It's something much deeper and systemic about how women in the public eye are treated. 

• Love 2

So Probst is in charge of everthing.  

And since he thinks he some sort of Margaret Mead social anthropologist and can use Survivor to reveal deep insight to the human psyche using themes - that's what he is doing.   He has been using the term "social experiement" in interviews for years.  He loves it and thats what he things Surivivor is.  

Casting, I've read several articles, one I thought came right out and said Probst is doing the casting now that Lynn is gone but I can't find it.  Other articles list a team.  But my sense is that Probst is more involved and I'm sure has the last say. 
https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2018/08/survivor-seasons-39-40-casting/

And the show is no long made for US the FANS, but for the contestants.  ???  So.......he is listening to all the previous contestants about what they think of new twists and themes and challenges?  Or is it all Probst all the time anticipating what the new contestants, that he cast, want/need in order to make his social experiments the success he craves?  

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2018/08/survivor-is-not-for-fans-any-more/

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2018/09/jeff-probst-survivor-producers-guide-interview/

I was sooo miserable last season.  Halfway through I hated it more than any other season.  I just don't know what to think.  But I think its on Probst.

Edited by marys1000
5 hours ago, marys1000 said:

I was sooo miserable last season.  Halfway through I hated it more than any other season.  I just don't know what to think.  But I think its on Probst.

According to my Survivor husband, Adam Klein, the audience should get a chance to hear from every single contestant on this season in the premiere. Which is great, since I also found last season incredibly frustrating, with the seemingly constant tribal shifts. Hey, producers, if you are going to do tribal shifts, why the hell don't you properly introduce every cast member first, what tribe they're initially on, what the dynamics are, etc.? And then do your tribal switch-ups, not in Episode fucking 2!!

I remember the majority of the comments last season were along the lines of, "Wait, who is that guy? What, where did she come from? Is that person a producer? Who's on what tribe this week? Are they just interviewing random producers now?" And then they based their entire season-long conflict on Old Malolo-New Malolo-Naviti Strong, and since we were robbed of who was on what tribe initially, by Episode 8 it just became a big question of "Who the fuck cares?"

• Love 2

Wait, does this mean Probst can no longer say "these 16/18/20 Americans?" What's he gonna say now? "North Americans?"

I feel like wearing your Survivor buff upside down and expecting people to notice that it is, in fact, upside down is something that only a super-fan would do. Like, that reveals your super fandom rather than conceals it. Oh, Adam Klein.

• Love 1

Jeff Probst says that there will not be an all winners this season.

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jeff-probst-explains-why-survivor-will-never-have-an-all-winners-season/

"The problem, he says, is that not all the previous winners are compelling enough to return, and the memorable ones — such as “Boston” Rob Mariano, Parvati Shallow and John Cochran — don’t want to spend another 36 days trying to outwit, outplay and outlast contestants for another shot at $1 million."

• Love 1

I could care less about ever seeing Cochran again so....win?

Maybe if they haven't over-saturated certain players and let some of them get handed wins, they might not have such a problem.  I don't know if it's a case that they can't find memorable or even good winners-they just aren't the winners Probst wants.  And perhaps CBS, too.

I'd love to see a mix of pre-jurors vs jurors.  Or even a pre-jury season.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Anyway though, I do wish we would get to hear from every single player in the premiere. There's really no excuse for that not happening.

Plus a million.  Otherwise who cares who gets kicked off, who wins, who loses?  Where's the story?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LanceM said:

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jeff-probst-explains-why-survivor-will-never-have-an-all-winners-season/

"The problem, he says, is that not all the previous winners are compelling enough to return, and the memorable ones — such as “Boston” Rob Mariano, Parvati Shallow and John Cochran — don’t want to spend another 36 days trying to outwit, outplay and outlast contestants for another shot at $1 million."

Thank you, they have heard my prayers. Every time I hear about an all-winners' season, I want it killed with fire. I want its torch snuffed. I think it's a horrible idea.

Heroes vs Villains 2, however ...

• Love 3
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Ugh, fucking Adam. His face (and that whole Instagram post) is so punchable.

Anyway though, I do wish we would get to hear from every single player in the premiere. There's really no excuse for that not happening.

I know, Unpopular Opinion. I've been admonished for it before, but I care not! I have empathy and I greatly admire all the work and effort he has done regarding cancer research. And no matter what one may feel about him, reading other peoples' comments about their own cancer struggles, scares, and triumphs, it is clear he has inspired plenty of others.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, LanceM said:

My problem with this is that his idea of "compelling" sucks. I don't find either Rob or Cochran compelling. There are plenty of compelling winners out there. He just does a shitty job of recognizing them. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

My problem with this is that his idea of "compelling" sucks. I don't find either Rob or Cochran compelling. There are plenty of compelling winners out there. He just does a shitty job of recognizing them. 

Agreed. Sorry but Rob is not all that compelling to me. Hey, let's take a guy and give him three times to win and then on the fourth hand him a team of idiots that he can drag around so he can finally win! Look, the man is good at the game but Production had to set up a season with a high probability that Rob wins for him to win. It didn't work in the other seasons with other Vets.

And Jeff still rolls his eyes at the idea of Sandra being a two time winner. So, yeah, Jeff can shut up because he still has no clue about the game.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I, for one, do find Boston Rob compelling.  I was fascinated by how he changed his personality/gameplay to reflect the majority view of whatever tribe he was on.  I like the guy.  And, I'm fine being a party of one.

Make it a party of two. I know many always use the "he took four attempts to win" (and I won't even go into my argument I've made many times that not winning doesn't necessarily make one a bad Survivor player since the show does have a lot of luck in it - what tribe you end up on, tribal switch ups, then idols came into play in later seasons, etc.) but in my opinion, Rob's performance in All Stars will always rank as one of the greatest in the show's history for the fact that he pulled off an obvious two person alliance, was a visible strategic and physical threat and still made it to the end. Sure one can argue it's because many of the players figured he was so disliked that they could beat him in the end but it was credit to him that they really all believed he would take them to the end. 

As for the Redemption Island season, I know the popular opinion is that he was handed that season but I disagree. Yeah his tribe was filled with fawning fans of his that made it easy for him to maneuver and take control of the tribe but they were also the weaker tribe and kept losing until the other tribe foolishly threw a challenge to get rid of Russell. Not to mention that Redemption Island being in play meant that players weren't automatically eliminated. Sure in the end it didn't affect the season that much but it was still a question mark he had to maneuver with.

And many of the people in his tribe on Redemption Island talked later about the fact that they got so much flak for seeming like blind drones but admitted that the editing didn't show how Rob actually did build or try to forge some connection with most of them individually. So they all thought they had some connection with him, which is why they were so loyal. And of course it was bullshit on his part but they didn't know that. 

• Love 7

I don't disagree that Rob is a good player, he is. I don't think he is a top 5 winner, or even a top tier winner, because it took him four times and a hand pick group of newbies to win. I rank anyone that wins in a Vet vs Newbie season low on my list of winners because Vets have a huge advantage, not just Rob.

I just don't find him compelling TV. I have seen him five times, four times on Survivor and once on the Amazing Race. There are plenty of folks that I have not seen who could be very good at this game and there are plenty of players they could return who are perfectly interesting that Jeff thinks are awful.

So Jeff's statement that there are not enough Rob's and Cochran's and Tony's will always elicit a groan from me because I don't need the big, manufactured, character that Production force feeds me to find the game interesting. I like the more strategic players who are working hard and not necessarily over the top. I think Sandra's game play is just as compelling as Boston Rob's. It is harder to show Sandra's game then Rob's but it is still compelling. And her game play worked out for with her winning 2 out of 3 times and essentially being screwed over by one to many tribe swaps on her third play.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well it's not a Rob vs. Sandra thing for me because I like both. And I'd say Sandra was most definitely a character. Her gameplay may not have been flashy but her mouth alone makes her entertaining television. 

Agreed.  Actually the reason I like them both so much is that they were both great narrators of the game, better than Cochran who I think was overrated as a talking head.  They should team up to do commentary on Survivor.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Make it a party of two. I know many always use the "he took four attempts to win" (and I won't even go into my argument I've made many times that not winning doesn't necessarily make one a bad Survivor player since the show does have a lot of luck in it - what tribe you end up on, tribal switch ups, then idols came into play in later seasons, etc.) but in my opinion, Rob's performance in All Stars will always rank as one of the greatest in the show's history for the fact that he pulled off an obvious two person alliance, was a visible strategic and physical threat and still made it to the end. Sure one can argue it's because many of the players figured he was so disliked that they could beat him in the end but it was credit to him that they really all believed he would take them to the end. 

As for the Redemption Island season, I know the popular opinion is that he was handed that season but I disagree. Yeah his tribe was filled with fawning fans of his that made it easy for him to maneuver and take control of the tribe but they were also the weaker tribe and kept losing until the other tribe foolishly threw a challenge to get rid of Russell. Not to mention that Redemption Island being in play meant that players weren't automatically eliminated. Sure in the end it didn't affect the season that much but it was still a question mark he had to maneuver with.

And many of the people in his tribe on Redemption Island talked later about the fact that they got so much flak for seeming like blind drones but admitted that the editing didn't show how Rob actually did build or try to forge some connection with most of them individually. So they all thought they had some connection with him, which is why they were so loyal. And of course it was bullshit on his part but they didn't know that. 

I couldn't agree more. Rob carried Chapera on his back during All Stars he changed his style of play from Marqueses when I hated him. I don't understand why Rob is criticized for his performance in Redemption Island when Tom did the same thing in Palau and everyone thinks Tom is a hero.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I couldn't agree more. Rob carried Chapera on his back during All Stars he changed his style of play from Marqueses when I hated him. I don't understand why Rob is criticized for his performance in Redemption Island when Tom did the same thing in Palau and everyone thinks Tom is a hero.

Count me on the can’t stand Tom train. 

Rob is a fine player. My problem is thatJeff only likes players like Rob. He does not understand more subtle game play. Jeff is not the best person to judge who is a good or bad winner.

• Love 3

I found his thinking pretty confusing and hard to follow, especially all the stuff about Natalie being a "rage and regret" kind of person. He seemed to say that he and Natalie got along pretty well, and Angelina had him voted off to protect her secret romance. This isn't anything like we saw on the show, but who knows? I feel we don't know enough to categorically say he's just being paranoid, but something feels off about all of this. Maybe we'll learn more as the season goes on. 

• Love 1