Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

I can see only punishing the one who did the posting and the captioning.  The other may have been totally against it or even in the dark. 

So Caleb's completed the CBS reality show trifecta (until CBS comes up with another reality show).

Can't say I'm excited about this, even if the potential for train wreck TV is high.  I was hoping for more of a mix between Survivor/BB, but it seems like there will be more BB teams even if the rest are Survivor.  I really wish the reality show has beens were able to race with whoever they wanted vs someone from their show/respective season.  I just hope no one from BB19 rears their ugly heads.

Apparently the other season 37 contestant isn't in the clear yet.  Wouldn't shock me if she ends up missing the reunion and ends up losing 10k too.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/18/survivor-contestant-kara-kay-nda-contract-instagram-posts-alec-merlino/

I am also not convinced that TMZ just happened to stumble on to this story.  I am standing by the theory that CBS/SEG leaked it themselves because they are sick of this social media nonsense that goes on season after season.

• Love 1

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with GI and spoilers.  GI had a leak somewhere, because someone had a pretty accurate boot list.  That usually only happens with returning player seasons.  I know some posters elsewhere try and figure out whose merge/pre merge based on whose following who but the GI cast was all over until the premiere.  Jacob was even following a lot of people, then when the premiere happened he unfollowed everyone.  I actually wonder if this might affect Redmond's cast spoilers going forward.

So yeah, this could be a friendly warning to future contestants. 

Why would CBS need to leak it, though?  They could quietly sanction them both AND make sure the rest of this cast and future ones know it happens.  There was no need to also spoil viewers by adding TMZ to the mix.  

It wouldn't surprise me if TMZ has people just hanging around Reddit forums about tv, just for this sort of scoop.  

(edited)

The only reason I could see CBS leaking it is to make a very public point.  I don't know what legality they have to go after people who leak spoilers that aren't contestants, but this could be some warning to them, too.  I know there was something about a poster on another message board that was leaking info from Russell Hantz during Samoa and HvsV where they attempted legal action, IIRC.  Of course Redmond leaks the cast and minor spoilers like the theme, but I don't know if they would target him for that.  Or if they could.  

And of course, this could just be a huge publicity stunt.  At any rate, I don't like the people in question simply from the photo that was posted.  So I'm glad they are getting punished.

Edited by LadyChatts
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't know what legality they have to go after people who leak spoilers that aren't contestants, but this could be some warning to them, too. 

I wouldn’t think they could do anything to anyone who hasn’t signed a contract with them about confidentiality.  

Since Libby says she's not dating Michael, I'll take her at her word.  I would interpret that 'very close friends' thing to mean what her 'at least you're legal' comment in Ponderosa suggested-- it was a brief physical thing.  And if so, I'd expect it wouldn't be mentioned at the reunion.  Who knows, though. 

Three 'couples' of any level is pretty wild, especially since we didn't really see any in-game couple stuff and not all even made the jury.  

I’m going with the theory that Big Brother will in fact be an all star season and names are getting thrown around under the premise they are going on another reality show to throw people off when they are suddenly MIA this month.  

However if this is true then HA!

Once again, I’m thinking I won’t watch TAR if they have ex-castaways, because I wouldn’t care that much about any of them. The last few years of Survivor have been a blur for me.

2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I’m honestly surprised at who was selected, out of all the former Survivor contestants they could have picked.

Looking at the three teams, my guess is that they were each picked based on a different primary criterion, although the other criteria would also be factors for each.

• One team was picked primarily for recency/recognition.
  • One team was picked primarily for general popularity.
  • One team was picked primarily for sheer availability.
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

Looking at the three teams, my guess is that they were each picked based on a different primary criterion, although the other criteria would also be factors for each.

• One team was picked primarily for recency/recognition.
  • One team was picked primarily for general popularity.
  • One team was picked primarily for sheer availability.

In regards to one of the teams

Spoiler

Corinne and Eliza are both commentators to the Reality TV Party app for Survivor each season (which is the only reason Corinne says she bother to watch Survivor).  I know they pay their commentators and a lot of reality show contestants are a part of it for different shows.  I wouldn't be totally surprised if that connection somehow led them to getting on TAR.  I also think there are plenty of Survivors, even classic Survivors, that can be as popular and memorable as Rupert.  His inclusion does make sense, but I just think he's past his prime.  Chris and Bret I just don't get.  I can understand wanting a recent duo, but I still can't believe that's the best they came up with.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I feel like I know more about the upcoming cast than I do the last 2.

I am not sure that is a good thing. So far, the three that we have learned about are not particularly bright.

• Love 1
(edited)

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2018/07/survivor-casting-director-lynne-spiegel-spillman-fired/

So Lynn Spillman has been fired from CBS (she did casting for Survivor and TAR I believe).  This article has quotes from Shane Powers’s podcast where he broke the news.  Needless to say he is no fan of Probst and doesn’t hold back blaming him.

Not exactly sure how I feel about this.  I think GI was one of the better casts Survivor has had in a long time, despite the focus being mainly on Dom and Wendell.  But before that, I think casting has been weak for awhile.  I know that doesn't rest squarely on Lynn, but I guess if she was butting heads with the almighty Probst and CBS wanted a change she was probably easier fodder.

Edited by LadyChatts
5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I think GI was one of the better casts Survivor has had in a long time, despite the focus being mainly on Dom and Wendell.

I'm not sure I could disagree more if I tried. I thought there were an astounding number of (literal) "Purple Kellys" -- more than I remember on any recent season. The annoying-but-at least-had-a-personality characters (Jacob, Stephanie, Bradley) were all early boots, plus once so-bad-he's-good-TV Chris Noble went home, it might as well have been the Dom And Wendell Show, With Special Guest-Stars Donathan and Laurel. Tune in to see them half-ally, half-battle Kellyn and her Band of Naviti Nobodies!

So, if she was fired for Ghost Island alone, I can't say I completely blame them. However, it's really hard to say that the woman who cast so many memorable Survivor players, and directly or indirectly facilitated more marriages than The Bachelor ... was bad at knowing how to put people together. She's allowed a few misses in my book.

And if this means Probst is going to get more involved in casting ... that's not a development I favor.

• Love 2

She was responsible for some really great casting early on, but she was also responsible for the abysmal later casting and overall the casts have been more shitty than good, so I don't see her being fired as a huge negative. I mean, maybe in the future things will get worse, but it's hard to see how.

As for Probst somehow being behind her firing, pfft. It's pure speculation by Shane who hates Probst and blames him for not getting a return invitation, but since Shane wasn't even voted on to the Cambodia season by the viewers, clearly there's no public demand for more Shane.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I'm not sure I could disagree more if I tried. I thought there were an astounding number of (literal) "Purple Kellys" -- more than I remember on any recent season. The annoying-but-at least-had-a-personality characters (Jacob, Stephanie, Bradley) were all early boots, plus once so-bad-he's-good-TV Chris Noble went home, it might as well have been the Dom And Wendell Show, With Special Guest-Stars Donathan and Laurel. Tune in to see them half-ally, half-battle Kellyn and her Band of Naviti Nobodies!

So, if she was fired for Ghost Island alone, I can't say I completely blame them. However, it's really hard to say that the woman who cast so many memorable Survivor players, and directly or indirectly facilitated more marriages than The Bachelor ... was bad at knowing how to put people together. She's allowed a few misses in my book.

And if this means Probst is going to get more involved in casting ... that's not a development I favor.

Oh, I do agree about it being a Purple Kelly cast.  I guess what I meant was, it seemed like one of the better casts in awhile on paper and in pre and post show interviews.  It's unfortunate that so much of the focus was on the horrible twist of Ghost Island and Dom/Wendell.  I think it could have been a much better season had they let some of the other personalities shine.  But I think as a whole it was a better cast than we had in awhile, especially HHH, Game Changers, and Worlds Apart.  That said, I still don't know how much say and control she has with casting without other input, and I can't really blame her on the editing.  I don't think the GI cast didn't try, TPTB just chose to focus on Dom/Wendell. 

As a whole, I think Survivor needs an overhaul in every department.  I'm one that wants a different location besides Fiji and better challenges, and of course better editing and less cushy rewards.  But heck, they tried this season to make it harder for them in an attempt to make the workers and providers more valuable, and apparently it failed.

• Love 1

I wonder what the tipping hand of the firing was. The casting of Survivor has been pretty spot on. It’s the theme & twist that have been the major issues. Maybe, Jeff didn’t like being the bad guy responsible for the themes and wanted to place blame on casting. It’s very interesting.

• Love 4

An understandable decision. Even though I didn't necessarily hate the last couple of seasons, there was that feeling that the casts were getting increasingly similar and bland. A lot of middle-of-the-road, non-offensive, decent but not great gameplayers. It doesn't feel like we've had good Survivor "characters," in awhile. Ghost Island was a trainwreck. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I just don’t know if I feel she was 100% the problem with casting.  It will be interesting in the first Lynn-less casting season, which I’m assuming will be S39, to see if it’s any better.  I know there had been rumblings from Redmond the last few years that some seasons they struggled with casting (but that can be blamed on whatever stupid twist they were trying to shoe horn the contestants in).  And with some fans asking for better diversity, along with a wider range of backgrounds like we had in the early days, it’ll be interesting to see if that changes.  

Reading Shanes comment made me think of a couple of other things-this might put the kibosh on some players ever getting a chance to return if they were a fave of Lynn and Lynn alone.  And I wonder if some contestants will have less influence in recruiting or helping in the casting process. I can believe that there may be more to this than she just sucked at casting, but was more expendable in getting rid of over someone else.

I will agree that it’ll be a good thing if we don’t get an Ozzy, Aubrey, Cochran, Boston Rob, and Parvati repeats every season.  I’m just hoping this isn’t a bad sign that S37 and the soon to be finished filming S38 tanked because of casting.

Edited by LadyChatts
19 hours ago, loki567 said:

Ghost Island was a trainwreck. 

I agree.  I did NOT like this season, but I don't think the casting was the problem.  It was the plotting that was the problem, the "let's make every week a shocking surprise!" kind of thinking - in particular the multiple tribal switcheroos so early in the game.   That just guaranfuckingteed that it was going to be extra difficult to follow the alliances and the strategies.   Then, they combined that with an almost complete  lack of camera time for most of the players, resulting in a season of Dom vs. Wendell and a bunch of Purple Kellys.  

I can't see how any of that was the casting director's fault. 

On the other hand I'm surprised she wasn't fired after she cast Brandon Hantz.  Twice!   

• Love 1
On 7/1/2018 at 11:40 AM, LadyChatts said:

So Lynn Spillman has been fired from CBS

New information from Redmond indicates that she might not have been fired fired.  He tweeted that he heard her contract with Survivor was up and just not renewed.

On 7/1/2018 at 8:43 PM, ByaNose said:

I wonder what the tipping hand of the firing was. The casting of Survivor has been pretty spot on. It’s the theme & twist that have been the major issues. Maybe, Jeff didn’t like being the bad guy responsible for the themes and wanted to place blame on casting. It’s very interesting.

10 hours ago, SVNBob said:

New information from Redmond indicates that she might not have been fired fired.  He tweeted that he heard her contract with Survivor was up and just not renewed.

Might’ve been fallout from the two twits with the pre-season spoiler tweets, coupled with simple bad timing.  Production might have been looking for a sacrificial lamb to offer up to the Network Gods, and Spillman’s contract coming up for renewal at this particular time simply made her too easy an option to check the tread depth on the nearest passing bus.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Those of you who somehow still aren't sick of Russhole Hantz, he's just been revealed as part of the cast for this year's Australian Survivor.

Yes, and I just posted my condolences on the Australian Survivor thread.  I'm watching, just to see the potential trainwreck and to see how fast the Aussies boot him once he starts pulling the same crap that he did in Samoa.  His reputation HAS to have preceded him in Australia, and Aussies aren't known for putting up with insufferable Americans like him!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, dustoffmom said:

And how and where are you watching?  Please tell!

Dailymotionuk works for me.  The only problem is that the Australian version typically airs 2-3 times a week, so it's hard for me to keep up.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Dailymotionuk works for me.  The only problem is that the Australian version typically airs 2-3 times a week, so it's hard for me to keep up.

Same here, well I guess I watched it on the American version of Dailymotion (As dumb as this sounds I never knew there were different versions of it).  Also, if you are lucky you might be able to catch it on YouTube.  But it is usually taken down pretty quick so you have to catch it within an hour or two of when it is posted. 

On 2/1/2018 at 9:02 AM, ProfCrash said:

I did some number crunching because was bored...

Ghost Island is a younger season, the median age is 26 and the average age is 28, the youngest of all the seasons. Guatemala had the youngest mode, 22, and a median of 26.5...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Survivor_(U.S._TV_series)_contestants This link lists to everyones age for each season. I might play with it later if I am bored enough.

The reality is that it is harder to find people who can take time off of work and are willing to leave their families, which means that you are going to find a younger crowd on the show.

Across all seasons, the average age of a Survivor player is 33.36.  The mode is 24 (most frequently recurring value). The median is 30 (middle value of all the values)

I apologize for dragging this back up. I was *really* behind on this thread.

I just wanted to add that one additional reason I think the casting is skewing younger is that the Boomers have mostly aged out of the casting pool and Gen X is a much smaller generation. So from when the show started, the casting pool has gone from being comprised primarily of the Boomers and Gen X with the Boomers being the largest population to primarily Gen X and Millennials with the Millennials being the largest population. 

And then factor in ability to leave family and work for an extended period of time usually being easier for younger people as @ProfCrash mentioned and the trend is strengthened.

• Love 1
On 7/1/2018 at 6:04 PM, Eolivet said:

I thought there were an astounding number of (literal) "Purple Kellys" -- more than I remember on any recent season. The annoying-but-at least-had-a-personality characters (Jacob, Stephanie, Bradley) were all early boots, plus once so-bad-he's-good-TV Chris Noble went home, it might as well have been the Dom And Wendell Show, With Special Guest-Stars Donathan and Laurel. Tune in to see them half-ally, half-battle Kellyn and her Band of Naviti Nobodies!

I'm not sure that's because they had no personality, though. It could just be that the editors decided that we should see the Compelling Narrative of How Dom and Wendell Controlled the Tribe With Help from Laurel and the Lovable but Naive Donathan. I mean, watching Ponderosa was like, "Wait, what? Where did all that personality come from?" for some of them. I think it just got cut out to show us The Story and Dom and Wendell's bromance. *yawn*

Also, regarding one of The Amazing Race teams:

Spoiler

I'm fascinated by the idea of Eliza and Corinne as a team. Head. just. exploded.

Edited by simplyme
Added TAR comment
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, simplyme said:

I apologize for dragging this back up. I was *really* behind on this thread.

I just wanted to add that one additional reason I think the casting is skewing younger is that the Boomers have mostly aged out of the casting pool and Gen X is a much smaller generation. So from when the show started, the casting pool has gone from being comprised primarily of the Boomers and Gen X with the Boomers being the largest population to primarily Gen X and Millennials with the Millennials being the largest population. 

And then factor in ability to leave family and work for an extended period of time usually being easier for younger people as @ProfCrash mentioned and the trend is strengthened.

I never really thought of that but that is a great point.  But there must be some late Boomers who could still be cast on the show.  I mean they are mostly in their late-50's but there are people in their late 50's who are still in excellent shape.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, simplyme said:

I'm not sure that's because they had no personality, though. It could just be that the editors decided that we should see the Compelling Narrative of How Dom and Wendell Controlled the Tribe With Help from Laurel and the Lovable but Naive Donathan. I mean, watching Ponderosa was like, "Wait, what? Where did all that personality come from?" for some of them. I think it just got cut out to show us The Story and Dom and Wendell's bromance. *yawn*

Also, regarding one of The Amazing Race teams:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm fascinated by the idea of Eliza and Corinne as a team. Head. just. exploded.

This is what I'm saying about the Ghost Island cast.  Despite the skewed narrative and wasted twist (that really wouldn't have been bad if they had executed it right), I think it was a decent season.  Much like you said, I don't think this was a cast that was bland.  Sure, every cast is going to have misfires or Purple Kelly's.  I think why this cast seemed so blah was the whole narrative surrounding Dom and Wendell.  Reading interviews after the fact, it seemed disappointing some of the things that went on that we didn't see, or the fact that these people were playing a game but we didn't see it.  Even Seabass and Jenna seem like they could have been intriguing!