Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

On 12/28/2017 at 3:19 PM, enoughcats said:

I'd like to see "AMI" competition: almost made it, those that missed jury by one or two slots.  At least their Ponderosa chatter would be interesting.  

Yeah.... but..... that would include Kat and I don’t think I could take hearing her again.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:19 PM, enoughcats said:

I'd like to see "AMI" competition: almost made it, those that missed jury by one or two slots.  At least their Ponderosa chatter would be interesting.  

They were trying to do something like this for S34-one of the original ideas was to have a tribe of pre-jurors, a tribe of finalists, and a tribe of winners.  Supposedly they couldn't get the winners they wanted so they scrapped the idea.

If they did a season of pre-jurors, I'd love for them to do like they did for SC and pick people pre-HvsV.  It was great seeing the likes of Kimmi and Varner again (before the infamous Zeke incident anyway), and having other old schoolers on the ballot.  But I could handle a post HvsV or even a post WA cast if they were all pre-jurors.  There's quite a few I'd like to see back.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

Yeah.... but..... that would include Kat and I don’t think I could take hearing her again.

Kat made the jury in One World, so I would assume she wouldn't be eligible for this hypothetical season.

On 12/30/2017 at 9:21 PM, cooksdelight said:

Still better Kat than Abi Maria, right!?

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, Lantern7 said:

Really, really, really, really cannot see Burnett and Co. bold/foolish enough to do political leanings. If they did, it wouldn't be an official gimmick. Or it would be, but the players aren't aware until after the season starts airing.

So there aren't ninja cameramen and stuff like that? Because I would think that players looking at cameramen for clues would have been too stupid. But that might be the case. Damn.

Well they did the whole race season, so I would not put anything past them.

@cooksdelight: I could, mostly because I'm that cynical about TV shows, including daytime talkers. I know, Dr. Phil probably ain't as bad as Jerry Springer or Maury Povich, but there is a bit of shysty-ness to him, if that makes sense. Or maybe I just want stuff to not be Todd's fault, and that we won't have to really reminisce about him within a few years.

On 1/1/2018 at 1:43 AM, BK1978 said:

Well they did the whole race season, so I would not put anything past them.

True . . . though that only lasted two episodes. Still wasn't a good idea, though the Ozzy vs. Yul finale kicked ass. I'm just thinking that notion is less volatile than going with political leanings, even if you throw in a tribe disillusioned with both parties, with Ross Perot on that tribe. Or Dana Carvey doing his Ross Perot thing as an act.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Dr. Phil is a licensed psychologist,

No he isn't.  He lost his license long before Oprah made him famous.

11 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

if he or his staff gave a guest alcohol, he’d be in huge trouble.

He is in trouble, because Todd is not the only one making this claim.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Seriously??? Why is he allowed to send people for treatment?

My medical Doctor can suggest that I go for treatment and maybe even arrange something and she is not a licensed therapist. I don't need a referral to go for treatment, I have gone to seen a therapist on my own without anyone "sending" me. It is not like a prescription drug. Dr. Phil has been a sham ever since he made it on to TV.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Seriously??? Why is he allowed to send people for treatment?

His license was in good standing until he decided to retire it in 2006.  He started appearing on Oprah's show in 1998.

And he doesn't "send" people for treatment.  Anyone can recommend a specific treatment center.  He points people in a direction.  

And when he mentions that he is "a mandated reporter" . . . in many states EVERYONE can qualify as a mandated reporter.  

• Love 2
On 1/4/2018 at 5:04 AM, SVNBob said:

No he isn't.  He lost his license long before Oprah made him famous.

He is in trouble, because Todd is not the only one making this claim.

Yep.

On 1/4/2018 at 7:07 AM, ProfCrash said:

Dr. Phil has been a sham ever since he made it on to TV.

Word.  Shame on Oprah.  Or rather shame on us for buying into the Oprah machine.  It is just that.

Edited by Jexter
  • Love 4

I’m guessing the cast reveal should be coming around next week or so. It’s usally a month before the season premiere. I’m curious to see what the ages and demographic of Ghost Island is. Also, I want how the past seasons are going to play into the Ghost theme. Which I think is previous bad decisions.  

• Love 1

I have no idea if wedding announcements are media, but I saw one here once (via Instagram), so when in Rome (or I guess now Fiji forever) ...

Taylor from Millennials vs Gen X got married to the mother of his young child this weekend:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd_mO70FmTn/?taken-by=taylorleestocker

Jay and Adam were I think the only ones from that season who attended the wedding (well, obviously we can rule out Figgy):

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd-rHpjH9v3/?taken-by=survivoradam

• Love 1

Getting married seems to be the millennial thing to do. In addition to Taylor, Michelle from that season got married this summer and Mari got engaged as well.

Edited by LanceM

Adam will always rank as a bottom 10 winner for me.  The only strategic thing he did was know when to turn the waterworks on.

I hope it works out for Taylor!  I always thought Figgy's post show interviews blasting him were so petty and ridiculous.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Yeah, Adam was on a great season with a great cast. That said, he’s not my favorite winner by a long shot. I never thought he was this big strategic player that he thinks he is/was. Although, with the makeup of the Final 3 he was the best option. Hannah was too wishy washy & babbled too much. Ken was an old time player but he lacked the strategy gene. 

I think Hannah played the better game but failed at selling herself. Adam did a fine job of defending his game and was up against the right competition. He is not a stand out to me but he is not awful either. 

• Love 1

I think this is the youngest cast to date.  Even the 40 somethings of the cast don't really look it.

I feel like anything would be an improvement over HHH, but this season looks to be advantage heavy, so we'll see.

Also, some interesting bathing suits in those photos.  I wonder if that's what Stephanie G. will be wearing on the island.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

"This is one of the biggest groups of superfans we've ever had."

No thanks.

I already hate this season so much.

Superfans on a season having every advantage and idol at their disposal?  Meh.  How many times will we hear "re-inventing the game", "the game's evolving", and "big moves", this season?  

Fiji the Original and its season of recruits (minus one) looks better and better every season.  At least there was a genuine blindside with Edgardo.  Before Probst turned every vote into a blindside.

• Love 1

Survivor is trending younger and younger these days. I guess I shouldn't apply at the old age of 53. Which is funny because Probst is 56. Of course, his hair is darker then mine and he still has his dimples. LOL!!!

• Love 1

I did some number crunching because was bored...

Ghost Island is a younger season, the median age is 26 and the average age is 28, the youngest of all the seasons. Guatemala had the youngest mode, 22, and a median of 26.5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Survivor_(U.S._TV_series)_contestants This link lists to everyones age for each season. I might play with it later if I am bored enough.

The reality is that it is harder to find people who can take time off of work and are willing to leave their families, which means that you are going to find a younger crowd on the show.

Across all seasons, the average age of a Survivor player is 33.36.  The mode is 24 (most frequently recurring value). The median is 30 (middle value of all the values)

Borneo: 35.81 Average, 29 Median, 23 Mode

Australia: 33.68 Average, 32 Median, 23 Mode

Africa: 35.12 Average, 33.5 Median, 27 Mode

Marquesas: 34.81 Average, 34 Median, 36 Mode

Thailand: 35.37 Average, 31.5 Median, 27 Mode

Amazon: 32.18 Average, 29 Median, 24 Mode

Pearl Island: 30.56 Average, 28.5 Median, 24 Mode

Vanuatu: 33.12 Average, 33 Median, 33 Mode

Palau: 32.35 Average, 28 Median, 27 Mode

Guatemala: 31.22 Average, 26.5 Median, 22 Mode

Panama: 35.06 Average, 32 Median, 24 Mode

Cook Island: 31.85 Average, 30.5 Median, 36 Mode

Fiji: 33.73 Average, 28 Median, 27 Mode

China: 30.18 Average, 28.5 Median, 26 Mode

Micronesia: 33.2 Average, 32 Median, 34 Mode

Gabon: 32.3Average, 29 Median, 29 Mode

Tocantins: 31.81 Average, 29 Median, 26 Mode

Samoa: 33.25 Average, 30.5 Median, 28 Mode

Nicaragua: 37.6 Average, 35.5 Median, 48 Mode

Redemption Island: 34.27 Average, 32.5 Median, 36 Mode

South Pacific: 32.11 Average, 28.5 Median, 26 Mode

One World: 33.33 Average, 29 Median, 29 Mode

Philippines: 34.55 Average, 30 Median, 28 Mode

Caramoan: 30.7 Average, 27 Median, 23 Mode

Blood vs Water: 33.8 Average, 32 Median, 33 Mode

Cagayan: 32.27 Average, 30 Median, 29 Mode

San Juan Del Sur: 32.61 Average, 29.5 Median, 28 Mode

Worlds Apart: 33.94 Average, 31.5 Median, 31 Mode

Cambodia: 37.2 Average, 36.5 Median, 37 Mode

Kaoh Rong: 33.83 Average, 30.5 Median, 27 Mode

Millennials vs Gen X:  33 Average, 32 Median, 42 Mode

Heros, Hustlers, Healers: 30.55 Average, 27.5 Median, 24 Mode

Ghost Island: 28 Average, 26 Median, 26 Mode

Edited by ProfCrash
Adding data
  • Love 6

https://youtu.be/YPMw56dhozI

Cast video.  Sounds like in addition to every advantage at their disposal because of bad Survivor decisions of seasons past, this season is going to be full of stories and personal growth for everyone.  According to Jeff, people will come out of this season wondering who they are and where they're going.

And we definitely got some of the "I know this game inside and out" and "I'm a superfan that knows this game better than anyone" quotes.  

• Love 1

Interview with Jeff Probst.

http://xfn-blogs.xfinity.com/tv/2018/02/01/survivor-host-jeff-probst-ghost-island-tilting-game-toward-providers/

Holmes: We’re giving them less food. Why?

Probst: Our philosophy on the show is that we have to stay ahead of it. We might leave some money on the table by jumping to the next idea. But we never want to get caught shortchanged. It’s been bothering me for the last few years that it’s been easy to get rid of a provider like an Ozzy or a Malcolm or a Culpepper because they have enough. It seems like a flaw. If you’re that comfortable, let’s make it tougher. So, we’re cutting the rice in half. It may not sound like much, but the amount of rice they have is based on our medical team saying this is the minimum amount of calories a human being needs to survive. So, they don’t get much. They get half a cup of rice, now they get half that. We gave them a big fishing kit out of the gate. They used to have to earn it in a reward. Nope, you’ve got it cause you need it. And the note attached to the rice says, “If you have to ask me for more, it will cost you.”

What a shock!!!!   And i hate to break this to Probst but women have been providers to on this show.

Gordon Holmes: One of the things that I saw at camp was kind of an accountability chart. What was the reasoning behind that?

Jeff Probst: One of the ideas this season is that I wanted to see if we could get a little more society into the game. By that, meaning responsibility and accountability. That’s one of the reasons we cut the rice in half was the force them to go fishing. Then, the idea was, “What would happen if we put a responsibility chart up?” Would they play checkers on it or would they actually think, “That’s a good idea. Who has gotten coconuts lately? Because I’ve been getting fire.” In a perfect world, day 39 rolls around and that chart comes up and somebody says, “Did you check it? Because I tended the fire every day. I built the shelter.” It becomes an element of gameplay.

I hope someone burns this damn chart in the fire on day one.

Holmes: Cirie was voted out of “Game Changers” due to the advantage-ageddon. Malcolm was voted out by another community. Both of these seem to go counter to the idea that your tribe is coming together to make a choice for the betterment of the society.

Probst: Well, the game has surpassed the idea of a society getting rid of its weakest member. The game is now paramount. The idea that you’re safe because of an alliance or an idol is foolhardy. What was great about the Cirie moment, unfortunately for Cirie, the poster for “Game Changers” was that moment. My wish was, “Please let them make big moves.” We’re charting as the game’s going; how many idols, who has an advantage…and nobody is playing them. And then the night of the Tribal we think, “What’s the worst-case scenario?” And we thought it was Tai playing both idols. But, we never thought he’d do it. He’ll save one for the next day. So when he did we all lost it. That was the gift of that season. It was the game-changing moment.

No comment necessary...

Holmes: Steal a vote or eliminate a juror?

Probst: Eliminate a juror. I think if we did that more often it would come into play. In “Game Changers” it could have had an impact. And with our new Tribal format, the jury evaluation is really different now and you have a shot to win the game even if someone didn’t understand how you played because you can explain it. So, if I was sure you were with someone else, I’d take you out. That’s a two-vote swing.

Sorry Jeff but Culpepper would still have lost...

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1

Yes, Culpepper still would have lost.  I suppose this means he’ll come back in a RI style season so he can win.  He probably would have even lost to Tai by the sounds of it.  People just plain didn’t like him besides his BFF Sierra and star struck Debbie.  I think Ozzy would have been a Tai vote even.  

Jeff must not have gone gotten the memo about how Cirie was voted out and the reaction to it.

Also, the rice isn’t the issue.  It’s the rewards themselves that are super cushy.  Look at all the food and luxuries!  In addition, Ozzy was voted out because he was a threat.  They wouldn’t have kept him even if he was the sole provider.  

And the chart at camp-what are they, 5?  I think the castaways have been observant enough whose doing what without needing to document it.  

I already hate this season and it’s super fans.  I wasn't overly impressed with them from that video I posted.

Edited by LadyChatts
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Yes, Culpepper still would have lost.  I suppose this means he’ll come back in a RI style season so he can win.  He probably would have even lost to Tai by the sounds of it.  People just plain didn’t like him besides his BFF Sierra and star struck Debbie.  I think Ozzy would have been a Tai vote even.  

Jeff must not have gone gotten the memo about how Cirie was voted out and the reaction to it.

Also, the rice isn’t the issue.  It’s the rewards themselves that are super cushy.  Look at all the food and luxuries!  In addition, Ozzy was voted out because he was a threat.  They wouldn’t have kept him even if he was the sole provider.  

And the chart at camp-what are they, 5?  I think the castaways have been observant enough whose doing what without needing to document it.  

I already hate this season and it’s super fans.  I wasn't overly impressed with them from that video I posted.

Yeah, hardly anyone loses much weight anymore due to the rewards. It seems like most of the people only lose 5 or 10 pounds. Heck! I could do that in one week and not even be on the show. It’s not like I want them to starve but that was the early premise of the show. You lived on rice or coconuts and that’s it. Suck it up. LOL!!!!

On 1/31/2018 at 11:59 AM, LadyChatts said:

I think this is the youngest cast to date. 

I read on Reddit that the oldest person on GI was born two days later than Dirk, the youngest person on Borneo.

• Love 1

I have watched every episode of every season, even Russell's first season and fucking RI!, but damn if I don't know if I'm gonna be able to stomach this season. There is literally nothing appealing about it and, in fact, pretty much everything I hate about Survivor lately is gonna be out in full force this season. Plus it seems like it will spark the 'they don't starve them like they did in the first seasons!' bullshit debate that is so tired to me.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, SVNBob said:

I read on Reddit that the oldest person on GI was born two days later than Dirk, the youngest person on Borneo.

For some reason this makes me feel old.

I have watched every episode of every season, even Russell's first season and fucking RI!, but damn if I don't know if I'm gonna be able to stomach this season. There is literally nothing appealing about it and, in fact, pretty much everything I hate about Survivor lately is gonna be out in full force this season. Plus it seems like it will spark the 'they don't starve them like they did in the first seasons!' bullshit debate that is so tired to me.

I've been going through the cast videos and so far I'm finding this group very unlikable and hard to root for.  Desiree's the only one I'm kind of digging right now.  Laurel completely turned me off with her "I went to Yale so I'm probably the smartest person out here" and all her talk about making big moves, being the queen, and being remembered (famous last words of Dan Foley).  The list is too long of people I want to to be the first boot.

And just so many people in general talking about being super fans and knowing the game and making big moves...also, I again say the rice isn't the issue.  It's the rewards.  And the 'threat' Jeff makes about it costing them if they can't ration or build an adequate shelter and are miserable?  That's always been the rule.  I think it's a bad sign that I'm looking more forward to this summer's Big Brother than this season of Survivor.  And after last year's BB, that's saying something.

But on the plus side, I already hate this season, so the only place to go is up.  My expectations are so low that maybe I'll be surprised and like it.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Worse to me, Probst is deliberately interfering with the game because he wants his Alphas to stay in the game. First the path to the final tribal is adjusted and now we are going to screw with the food amount so that Ozzy and Brad stick around. We get it, the Alpha men give Jeff a boner and it pisses him off that they don't win the game because most of them have no social game or are seen as threats, but this manipulation is so over the top obvious.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

But on the plus side, I already hate this season, so the only place to go is up.  My expectations are so low that maybe I'll be surprised and like it.

Yes, true.

6 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Worse to me, Probst is deliberately interfering with the game because he wants his Alphas to stay in the game. First the path to the final tribal is adjusted and now we are going to screw with the food amount so that Ozzy and Brad stick around. We get it, the Alpha men give Jeff a boner and it pisses him off that they don't win the game because most of them have no social game or are seen as threats, but this manipulation is so over the top obvious.

This is the worst part of it. Probst has already ruined this show for me and he's really taken it to a whole new level of suck this season.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Well, here's a scary thought; I'm pretty sure my expectations are even lower than yours.  

• Love 1
On 2/2/2018 at 12:57 AM, LanceM said:

Interview with Jeff Probst.

http://xfn-blogs.xfinity.com/tv/2018/02/01/survivor-host-jeff-probst-ghost-island-tilting-game-toward-providers/

Holmes: We’re giving them less food. Why?

Probst: Our philosophy on the show is that we have to stay ahead of it. We might leave some money on the table by jumping to the next idea. But we never want to get caught shortchanged. It’s been bothering me for the last few years that it’s been easy to get rid of a provider like an Ozzy or a Malcolm or a Culpepper because they have enough. It seems like a flaw. If you’re that comfortable, let’s make it tougher. So, we’re cutting the rice in half. It may not sound like much, but the amount of rice they have is based on our medical team saying this is the minimum amount of calories a human being needs to survive. So, they don’t get much. They get half a cup of rice, now they get half that. We gave them a big fishing kit out of the gate. They used to have to earn it in a reward. Nope, you’ve got it cause you need it. And the note attached to the rice says, “If you have to ask me for more, it will cost you.”

What a shock!!!!   And i hate to break this to Probst but women have been providers to on this show.

Gordon Holmes: One of the things that I saw at camp was kind of an accountability chart. What was the reasoning behind that?

Jeff Probst: One of the ideas this season is that I wanted to see if we could get a little more society into the game. By that, meaning responsibility and accountability. That’s one of the reasons we cut the rice in half was the force them to go fishing. Then, the idea was, “What would happen if we put a responsibility chart up?” Would they play checkers on it or would they actually think, “That’s a good idea. Who has gotten coconuts lately? Because I’ve been getting fire.” In a perfect world, day 39 rolls around and that chart comes up and somebody says, “Did you check it? Because I tended the fire every day. I built the shelter.” It becomes an element of gameplay.

I hope someone burns this damn chart in the fire on day one.

Holmes: Cirie was voted out of “Game Changers” due to the advantage-ageddon. Malcolm was voted out by another community. Both of these seem to go counter to the idea that your tribe is coming together to make a choice for the betterment of the society.

Probst: Well, the game has surpassed the idea of a society getting rid of its weakest member. The game is now paramount. The idea that you’re safe because of an alliance or an idol is foolhardy. What was great about the Cirie moment, unfortunately for Cirie, the poster for “Game Changers” was that moment. My wish was, “Please let them make big moves.” We’re charting as the game’s going; how many idols, who has an advantage…and nobody is playing them. And then the night of the Tribal we think, “What’s the worst-case scenario?” And we thought it was Tai playing both idols. But, we never thought he’d do it. He’ll save one for the next day. So when he did we all lost it. That was the gift of that season. It was the game-changing moment.

No comment necessary...

Holmes: Steal a vote or eliminate a juror?

Probst: Eliminate a juror. I think if we did that more often it would come into play. In “Game Changers” it could have had an impact. And with our new Tribal format, the jury evaluation is really different now and you have a shot to win the game even if someone didn’t understand how you played because you can explain it. So, if I was sure you were with someone else, I’d take you out. That’s a two-vote swing.

Sorry Jeff but Culpepper would still have lost...

This feels like a very dumb downed Survivor version. It's not as if any of the things TBTB now want to highlights haven't been considered by the various players over the course of many seasons. I think that this kind of blueprint that will now be given to them ("accountability chart", for real??) would be laughed at and disregarded by good players who play to win, but might unfortunately work with contestants who want to please TPTB in order to be brought back. The fact that this bunch of contestants is apparently the youngest ever plays into that both ways: maybe (especially if they're not real fans) they'll buy into the new blueprint, or they're young enough that they can be brought back again, and again, and again.

It's a bit sad that this organised blueprint is trying to bring back elements that were organic in earlier seasons, while at the same time everything is done to wreck havoc on what made earlier seasons work. I wish TPTB consulted with this board, they may not like all our ideas, but collectively we could make change happen in a more interesting way, I think. 

Edited by NutMeg
bad spelling
  • Love 4

The Ghost Islands Cast names their favorites seasons.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/09/survivor-ghost-island-cast-favorite-seasons/

So Jeff says that this whole cast is made up of "Superfans"y et half of them pick either MGVX or Game Changers. Call my cynical but I am starting to believe tat half this cast hasn't watch much Survivor at all. Not that I think this is a bad thing as I do like a good mix of recruits/fans on a season.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Someone tell me who he likes so I know who to hate.

LOL. He loves Michael, the ultra-buff 18-year-old who looks 28 and plans to lie about his age. He also likes Desiree and thinks she could win it all, which is worrisome since I pre-like her a lot and now I feel she's doomed. And of course he loves Sebastian, the hippie surfer Ozzie wannabe. He spent a lot of time on James (highest IQ of any Survivor player ever!) and Wendell and Jacob. There was a whole bunch of 'em towards the end of the video who didn't get more than a couple of words said about them, like Jeff could barely remember who they were. Good lord, this cast is huge.

• Love 2